• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Origin Store Sale

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe that was already covered in my original post.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most Ultima Online Products are Gone from Origin
First was the Game Time Code, now all I can see is 6 products
Yup, one month game time codes are gone, just 3 and 6 month codes are there. Can't even search for a 1 month code like you have to for the 10 charge tool.

@Mesanna This is unacceptable.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see the 30 day time code, the 3 Month and 6 Month are still there as well as most (if not all) of the other items.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Wonder why the 1 month codes have been removed? I usually buy the 6 month one so hope they don't remove that too

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I dont understand why people still bring this up, all the time

UO will NEVER go F2P, they already told that 10000X and some people like to just stir the pot
For a Steam release it will need to fo f2p though. It's been greenlit on steam for ages now

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
For a Steam release it will need to fo f2p though. It's been greenlit on steam for ages now
Which why there is really no reason to believe it will go F2P any time soon.

That and Mesanna bluntly stated it wouldn't.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
That's not free to cheat. How many people buy gold and equipment from dodgy websites? A lot I bet. Much better for them to buy from an in game store as at least that way the money goes back to UO

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
When they stated " promotional warehouse down til may 31st" wonder if they meant they were charging things on the website that access the promotional warehouse........nah. Couldn't be.........wow

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont understand why people still bring this up, all the time

UO will NEVER go F2P, they already told that 10000X and some people like to just stir the pot
Yeah.....Elder Scrolls Online said that too....they even said they would all quit (management not players) if it went F2P.....
....12 months after release.....it went F2P and not one manager apologised OR quit.

People need to stop thinking UO devs are like family.....they run a business and at the moment their bread and butter is sinking fast.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's not free to cheat. How many people buy gold and equipment from dodgy websites? A lot I bet. Much better for them to buy from an in game store as at least that way the money goes back to UO
No, the money goes to EA not Broadsword.
You have to buy Sovereigns from Origin website first....then charge them to your account using the code you get....then buy from the in-game store.
Much simpler than the old system that was ..erm....exactly the same.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yeah.....Elder Scrolls Online said that too....they even said they would all quit (management not players) if it went F2P.....
....12 months after release.....it went F2P and not one manager apologised OR quit.

People need to stop thinking UO devs are like family.....they run a business and at the moment their bread and butter is sinking fast.
The subscribers to Elderscrolls went up if I believe correctly after it went f2p. Look at Neverwinter, another f2p game thats doing pretty well

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The subscribers to Elderscrolls went up if I believe correctly after it went f2p. Look at Neverwinter, another f2p game thats doing pretty well
There are many games prospering through a F2P model. Most players these days dont want to be tied to a subscription model, they want to be able to choose how much they spend, and when. Generally the UO populous (which another poll in UHall confirms is an older group if we can rely on the numbers) doesnt want the change to a sub system as they are happy with the way it is. They are happy with a niche game. Unfortunately that is slowly killing UO and only opening the game up to the masses can save it long term. Keep it as it is and EA will pull the plug at some point.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They need to be careful with just opening the spigot and letting everything pour into the game.

High inflation and a flooded market means the uo economy will tank.

If people cant sell things they farm, that's pretty much end game for a lot of players who dont want to sink more cash into the game ( or have the cash to sink into it).

I could see them eventually making F2P an option, but overdoing pay 2 win will tank everything.
I have returned after a 2 yr hiatus. It seems to me that you cannot buy crap in game anymore on player vendors other than ingredients, runics, materials. When I left you could buy almost any artifact in game if you had the gold. Now I can only find most of them for sale on gold selling websites. RMT have ruined MMO's forever.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have returned after a 2 yr hiatus. It seems to me that you cannot buy crap in game anymore on player vendors other than ingredients, runics, materials. When I left you could buy almost any artifact in game if you had the gold. Now I can only find most of them for sale on gold selling websites. RMT have ruined MMO's forever.
People do have them. They just sell them on general chat though.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
People do have them. They just sell them on general chat though.
There's truth to this.

Things move a little slower since there are less players, so naturally they cost more in vendor fees to sell on less populated shards.

We could address vendor fees but that's a whole different thread.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Hmm, I do not like F2P. In years past I ranted and raved about it, but I see the futility of it all, humans gonna human. I have a humble request. Please keep some servers off the f2p model so us older people addicted to forking money over in a routine way will fork money over in our strange way, and other people can f2p to their hearts content. I don't imagine that is toooo drastic to consider. By ALL means put an in-game shop in our non f2p servers so we can by whatever goodies wind up in there, and add even more money to the Broadswordian/EVIL ALIE.. I mean um EA coffers. In the event people need to flip out over this suggestion, let me leave something for everyone to enjoy as they complain about how terrible this was to request. :D

Last edited:

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where are the 30 day game codes on the Origin Store? Heck, when I type in Ultima Online (like I usually do) I get a blank screen of no products. The 30 Day Game Codes aren't being taken to the in-game store, are they?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Many games have a multi-tier subscriber model, UO could use something similar.

First Tier: F2P - Something akin to the 14-day trial, but without the crippling restrictions - no house though (but a tripled or more bank box size) Generic, single-room instanced housing could also be implemented.

Second Tier: Monthly subscription of $5.99. Pretty much the game as it is now, plus a small monthly sovereign allowance - say 200.

Third Tier: Monthly subscription of $9.99. Similar to the above, but with a monthly 700 sovereign stipend and increased house/bank storage.

Yearly/Lifetime: A single $150-200 payment. 1200 a month sovereign stipend and increased house/bank storage.

This would include the in-game item store which they would have to continually roll out new "exciting" items for.

This gives us the best of both worlds, the draw of F2P to lure people in, with reasonably priced subscription rates for a 20yo game should they decide to stay and want the full experience.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Many games have a multi-tier subscriber model, UO could use something similar.

First Tier: F2P - Something akin to the 14-day trial, but without the crippling restrictions - no house though (but a tripled or more bank box size) Generic, single-room instanced housing could also be implemented.

Second Tier: Monthly subscription of $5.99. Pretty much the game as it is now, plus a small monthly sovereign allowance - say 200.

Third Tier: Monthly subscription of $9.99. Similar to the above, but with a monthly 700 sovereign stipend and increased house/bank storage.

Yearly/Lifetime: A single $150-200 payment. 1200 a month sovereign stipend and increased house/bank storage.

This would include the in-game item store which they would have to continually roll out new "exciting" items for.

This gives us the best of both worlds, the draw of F2P to lure people in, with reasonably priced subscription rates for a 20yo game should they decide to stay and want the full experience.
So if we want to pay $60 for our 6 month sub and keep everything as is we are just SOL

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So if we want to pay $60 for our 6 month sub and keep everything as is we are just SOL
Uhm.. no.. read that again, you'd be paying $35.94 for six months for what you have now. $59.94 for six months for more storage. Either way, you're better off under those plans than you are now.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uhm.. no.. read that again, you'd be paying $35.94 for six months for what you have now. $59.94 for six months for more storage. Either way, you're better off under those plans than you are now.
That will never happen. It will be a cold day in hell before EA would cut prices like that.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That will never happen. It will be a cold day in hell before EA would cut prices like that.
You're missing the bigger picture. Sure EA would be cutting prices for existing players but it's highly likely some of those would just either a) go for the extra storage or b) open more accounts if cheaper. But more importantly EA would add significant numbers to the player base through this model and more than make up the difference of the price cut. In short ... They would make more money, not less.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Where are the 30 day game codes on the Origin Store? Heck, when I type in Ultima Online (like I usually do) I get a blank screen of no products. The 30 Day Game Codes aren't being taken to the in-game store, are they?
I can confirm that they have disappeared from the Brazil Origin store as well. :|

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're missing the bigger picture. Sure EA would be cutting prices for existing players but it's highly likely some of those would just either a) go for the extra storage or b) open more accounts if cheaper. But more importantly EA would add significant numbers to the player base through this model and more than make up the difference of the price cut. In short ... They would make more money, not less.
What big picture? Do you mean all the support EA has dumped into UO? Oh you must mean when EA upped subs in order to get us better support. Or do you mean the support EA has given UO by outsourcing it to BS and now we are down to what 4 people on staff. The minute F2P come out strong EA's brain trust crunched the numbers to see which of its game would benefit from this and you truly believe that you are smarter than all those bean counters that said no, good luck with that one.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Without changing the housing rule and the 90 day account timer that this is their answer to fix the problem. SAD

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What big picture? Do you mean all the support EA has dumped into UO? Oh you must mean when EA upped subs in order to get us better support. Or do you mean the support EA has given UO by outsourcing it to BS and now we are down to what 4 people on staff. The minute F2P come out strong EA's brain trust crunched the numbers to see which of its game would benefit from this
The big picture .... chnging your pricing structure to increase your cusstomer base resulting in bigger profits. Its not rocket science and UO WILL adopt this model at some point in the future, mark my words.

and you truly believe that you are smarter than all those bean counters
Actually, yes.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am I the only one worried that its the 30th and we STILL have no idea what will be in the in-game store or exactly how it will actually work?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I the only one worried that its the 30th and we STILL have no idea what will be in the in-game store or exactly how it will actually work?
I dunno what you are worried about Dot. We all know the drill by now. Release it without testing then after a day or so of bugs and exploits put it back on the drawing board!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dunno what you are worried about Dot. We all know the drill by now. Release it without testing then after a day or so of bugs and exploits put it back on the drawing board!
Yeah... I'm kinda over that.

Lady Kittie

Meer Ambassador
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, after a long conversation with EA today (and their broken english), I have come to this..

I asked the customer service rep why the sale did not extend to all of the UO items in the store and only a few?

The answers I've been given are outrageous.
I was told that EA was not the owners of UO and were not the creators of UO. This is one reason why they are not on sale.
I was also told that EA does not own Origin.. yet another reason none are on sale.
When I explained how some of the items are on sale and others aren't, I was called a liar and told that those items did not exist in the sale, even after copying and pasting the sale etc.

I was given excuse after excuse, until they told me to "please extend your patient, I will be with you shortly", only to return and tell me after stating EA doesn't own Origins.. "If you have no further questions, thank you and have a nice day :)".

These people have ZERO clue what they're talking about. And their customer service is lacking at best! I couldn't believe that this person would even say that EA doesn't own Origin!
It said at the top of the window "Origin Powered by EA".

I officially give up on EA.
Please @Mesanna .. this is pretty poor treatment for customers of any kind. More so, paying ones.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
So, after a long conversation with EA today (and their broken english), I have come to this..

I asked the customer service rep why the sale did not extend to all of the UO items in the store and only a few?

The answers I've been given are outrageous.
I was told that EA was not the owners of UO and were not the creators of UO. This is one reason why they are not on sale.
I was also told that EA does not own Origin.. yet another reason none are on sale.
When I explained how some of the items are on sale and others aren't, I was called a liar and told that those items did not exist in the sale, even after copying and pasting the sale etc.

I was given excuse after excuse, until they told me to "please extend your patient, I will be with you shortly", only to return and tell me after stating EA doesn't own Origins.. "If you have no further questions, thank you and have a nice day :)".

These people have ZERO clue what they're talking about. And their customer service is lacking at best! I couldn't believe that this person would even say that EA doesn't own Origin!
It said at the top of the window "Origin Powered by EA".

I officially give up on EA.
Please @Mesanna .. this is pretty poor treatment for customers of any kind. More so, paying ones.

Do you realize that from Monday to Friday, between 8am to 5pm ET you can talk to Real Americans Customer Support, after 5pm's all the calls are sent to Overseas, where they have Zero Clue about 90% of the things that happen, They try, but it honestly the true, they have zero knowledge, specially with anything related to UO

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
the 30 days GTC is gone from the store!
and if you need a quick fix, you have to go to your MYUO account mgmt and subscribe for 12 Months, enter a CC, subscribe and than remove the CC again and cancel subs...you good for another 30 days, until they fix the "problem"

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the 30 days GTC is gone from the store!
and if you need a quick fix, you have to go to your MYUO account mgmt and subscribe for 12 Months, enter a CC, subscribe and than remove the CC again and cancel subs...you good for another 30 days, until they fix the "problem"
Mesanna just said these should be back in the store tomorrow! :)

Lady Kittie

Meer Ambassador
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you realize that from Monday to Friday, between 8am to 5pm ET you can talk to Real Americans Customer Support, after 5pm's all the calls are sent to Overseas, where they have Zero Clue about 90% of the things that happen, They try, but it honestly the true, they have zero knowledge, specially with anything related to UO
To be honest, I've rarely had to contact EA and when I did, it was always with someone from here in the states. This was my first encounter otherwise then. Good to know though! Thank you kindly and I'll definitely keep that in mind! :)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Thank you for calling Customer disService, how my I misdirect your call? All managers are busy playing Freecell and their mailboxes are full, please call someone who gives a..."

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well, we will be seeing how the in game store looks in a couple hours.

A side note, I don't see any sovereigns for sale on Origin yet.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Once the servers are up we will see if its cheaper to buy items with sovereigns or if its cheaper to use the dodgy websites