• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Not fair! What are your views on this issue?

G

I log on this morning to find a letter in my inbox saying that my robot cat ran away from social neglect! My cat got lots of attention...we praised it when it fixed objects and even had a robo dog out to give it social! The robot pets are so needed in this game these days to help fix things when the repairman is "off duty". Not to mention many people actually pay real life money for these rares. Luckily I pulled mine but still...it took many hours of pulling to get my robo cat. I really think Maxis should change the rules on the robot pets running away because they are not just pets but in a way are a "valuable object" in the game! Or at least change the settings where it takes "actual" long term neglect for them to run away. My cat was NOT neglected and I really feel "ripped off" over this. What are your feelings about this matter?

R

Rosebush3333

My view? Robo's shouldn't be treated differently. Robos shouldn't be made to endure mistreatment just because they are rare. You logged on and got the notice? So what did you do? Leave it out after you left? That is hardly responsible behavior. Put the pets away when you leave, take care of them while they are there and they wont run. Too bad you lost it, but that is the way it goes, it IS fair.

G

<blockquote><hr>

My view? Robo's shouldn't be treated differently. Robos shouldn't be made to endure mistreatment just because they are rare. You logged on and got the notice? So what did you do? Leave it out after you left? That is hardly responsible behavior. Put the pets away when you leave, take care of them while they are there and they wont run. Too bad you lost it, but that is the way it goes, it IS fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have NEVER left it out...I know better than to do that. I've always kept up w/ cleaning the litter box and have always praised her when she fixed things. Even the guests would pet the cat.
I agree that the pets should be cared for properly and that is why I was always careful with my pet. Do you really think I would be foolish enough to neglect my robo after all of the hard work I did to pull it? I truly do not understand why maxis took my cat, and yes, it is unfair!

G

I am so sorry for your loss. I do agree that the rare pets are so hard to get and that they should not be able to run away. I think tho that it would be impossible to make it so they didn't. I would love to be wrong about this.

I waited a very long time for my robo cat. There is not a lot of specific advice about how much social a pet needs but I did just read that if pets are in thier carrier they will not run away. So Please Please never leave your prized pet out of its carrier when you leave your property or log for the night. I put mine away asap even when I am on property.

A mean pet needs social too so I have to wonder how many fingers my robo cats owner has left.

Again I am so sorry for your loss. I do agree they should not be able to run away.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

I log on this morning to find a letter in my inbox saying that my robot cat ran away from social neglect! My cat got lots of attention...we praised it when it fixed objects and even had a robo dog out to give it social! The robot pets are so needed in this game these days to help fix things when the repairman is "off duty". Not to mention many people actually pay real life money for these rares. Luckily I pulled mine but still...it took many hours of pulling to get my robo cat. I really think Maxis should change the rules on the robot pets running away because they are not just pets but in a way are a "valuable object" in the game! Or at least change the settings where it takes "actual" long term neglect for them to run away. My cat was NOT neglected and I really feel "ripped off" over this. What are your feelings about this matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG I think thats a bunch of BS. Why they do this is beyond me. I had the same thing happen to a friend of mine and he was actually sick over it. It is too hard to get these pets in the 1st place and I think you should send emails to everyone you can think of. It may not get your pet back but EA really needs to dump that feature. Ihave seen robos at a couple of houses running around without being petted for hours day after day. I wonder how they determine which ones are being neglected. BAD BAD FEATURE EA!!!!!!!!!

S

Shyanne1

I would agree that it isn't fair. Really what is the purpose of the pets running away and do we really need that in the game. Especially since some pets are considered rare items. The OP said that they did take care of it but even if they didn't it has got to be devastating to someone who probably spent LOTS of cash on the pet. The OP said that they pulled it but many many more do not. Especially now that in EA Land it is so hard to earn money I vote for the feature to be removed.

G

<blockquote><hr>

There is not a lot of specific advice about how much social a pet needs

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hard to tell how much your pet needs of each need. It would be so much easier if there were the "needs" bar thingys so we could actually "see" what they need.

G

Thank you all for your support and condolences...I am truly stunned and upset over this. I've thought about writing Maxis about it but I doubt they would care or even do anything about it. So I guess it's back to "red room" during the hours of 5 p.m. to 10 a.m.

I

imported_sedusa

I have a robo cat, a mean one, and giving it social use to be a big problem for me, and I was scared it would run away. I mean how do you make a mean pet happy?
I was at a sim friend's home once and he had just got a mean tiger, and was trying like heck to give it social by petting, and praising but no matter what he did the social animation still appeared above its head. I tried telling my friend what to do to help, but that didnt happen and before you know it, poof maxis had taken the pet from him. Although my friend had a cat statue out this still just wasnt enough.

Here is what worked for me:

Pet your mean pet, then scold it for scratching or hissing, pet, scold, pet scold etc and in time the cat will no longer need social. And, when they fix something be sure to praise them for it.

I read on a website someplace that you have to treat the men pets like you would a real life mean pet.....ie. love them but let them know that meaness is not okay. And, it worked for me.

G

Soon after I started playing TSO, a dear friend gave me a pet cheeta and I loved it dearly, especially after my friend quit the game. Then one day when I was getting ready to log off, my roomie asked me to leave 'nugget' out for her to play with and I did so not thinking that the worst could happen.

You guessed it! Only I got a message saying that my pet had been TAKEN away because of neglect. I was SOOO furious because it wasn't my fault. The whole system is unfair in my opinion. You get a warning in the sims PC games before a pet is taken away. If EA would do this it would at least give the owners a chance to fix the problem.

R

Rosebush3333

I do like the idea of a warning about neglecting the pets. But, if none were to ever run away, what would be the point of feeding them, seeing they have a comfortable bed, or things to play with?
Praising works to helps social of a mean pet and you don't get scratched, also I have a mean dog get social from another dog. Cats don't do that so all I have ever done is praise for mean cats. Never lost one. Never lost any pets for that matter and I have had most of the same ones for years now.
If you don't want to lose your pet, never leave the responsiblity of caring for it to anyone else, no matter who it is. Not saying people will be mean, but it can be hard enough for an owner to remember it is out, much less someone else.

S

Sideliner

A warning would be nice.

Even better is being able to pay the fine and have the pet returned would be nice.

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

A warning would be nice.

Even better is being able to pay the fine and have the pet returned would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good ideas that have been suggested many times. Even better would be getting rid of the whole pets running away nonsense.

Sorry for your loss OP.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Thank you all for your support and condolences...I am truly stunned and upset over this. I've thought about writing Maxis about it but I doubt they would care or even do anything about it. So I guess it's back to "red room" during the hours of 5 p.m. to 10 a.m.

[/ QUOTE ] I am not sure but I have never had a pet die in this game. Maybe momi is just being nice telling you that your animal has been given to a better home when in all actuality it has died. You know parents protecting their kids? You know the gold fish that dies while the child is at school, the hamster that dissapears for a week then is found in the trash compactor. Or the dog that ran away? Just an idea. So sorry for your loss.

I

imported_Danny Dots

awww thats so sad

Sadly, theres nothing that can be done.

Whats done is done.

S

Sunflowers

I'm sorry! I always heard if you leave the dog/cat out and leave the property it will run away.I wish we could all see our pet's needs instead of a bubble popping out of their head. It would be a lot easier to maintain the pet and have it comfortable at all times. I'm sorry for your lost and I doubt anyone will help you with it, like one person said whats done is done. You have to give it a lot of love from my understanding and if you are going to have it out keep up with the pet at all times.

Good luck!

G

I have a mean dog, and as long as you don't pet him, he's good. I praise him all day long, and am teaching him sit and stay. I do scold him when he's bad, which isn't often now that I figured out not to pet him!

The fun thing I have discovered is, if I praise him enough, he will come over me looking to wrestle, and does not bite or growl during it. It's soooo cute!

I think that the running away thing is kind of bogus, especially when it is a mean pet that runs away. There is only so much you can do for them- I have a mean cheetah that I am afraid to let out, because it hates people (the red people bubble is ALWAYS over it's head, no matter how much praise), and I think it's only a matter of time until it takes off and that thing was NOT cheap!

If they are going to keep mean pets, there should be a way to be able to train them to be nicer. You should at least be able to pay a fine and get it back or something.

I thought I read somewhere that the pet was supposed to go automatically back into it's carrier if you leave a lot.... Is that not true?

G

<blockquote><hr>

log on this morning to find a letter in my inbox saying that my robot cat ran away from social neglect!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you got the message in your inbox then that would mean it had to be sent while you were offline, which meant the cat *ran away* while *you* were offline. I very well could be wrong but it seems like there's only 3 ways that could happen, and maybe some of the mods who have been playing as long as I have but have owned more rare pets can answer this?

1. You had the cat out yesterday while you were online and didn't put him up, trusting that a roomie would do it (there's nothing wrong with that, I've seen people do it but the roomie HAS to be trustworthy enough to actually put it up).

2. Somebody *else* logged into your account, took the robo out and didn't put him up, sort of like hacking the account but didn't change your pw because they didn't want the account and just wanted you to come on and find it was gone. They may or may not have known you'd get a notice about it, maybe they thought you'd just think it had disappeared due to a glitch.

3. It really COULD have been a Maxis glitch, but if it is it's the first time I've heard of this happening to a person while they were offline however the game *is* back in beta, so anything is possible I suppose.

In any case, the loss still sucks, and I am sorry that you lost it. There's been plenty of times that I've done stuff myself that has made me lose different stuff and knowing that I did it didn't make it hurt any less.....more in fact. So even if it does turn out to be the first or second option, that doesn't mean to me that you don't deserve empathy from those who have been in that situation, or plain compassion from those who haven't. I hope you are able to find another one, but I do know that even if Maxis determines that it was lost due to a game glitch, they can't replace rare pets because of what has been stated here before, that the game cannot differentiate between a robo cat and a maine coon, so all they can do is give you an unopened cage, they can't control what's in it.

*hugs* what a way to start a weekend (Friday)

I

imported_TraciRK

So sorry to hear this. I was told along time ago by a founder to keep rare pets in inventory. It maintains your relationship with them longer and it prevents running away or dying. I feel so bad for you!

I

imported_sedusa

Sorry to say that pets do not go back into their carriers automatically if you leave a lot.

G

I always put the little buggers back before I leave, I just thought I remember reading somewhere that they did that.

I

imported_remflyer

So sorry, what a terrible loss. I always wanted a robo cat and I know I would feel very bad if that happen to me. I wish they would give you a warning first before taking it away. I also like the idea of paying a fine to get it back (another money drain). Perhaps it was a glitch but you will not get it back now.

You do not have to put your cats away before you leave your property if you live alone or with one of your alts. I usually don't bother to cage them and I have never had a problem. Your pets do not roam the lot if you leave and no one else is there. They do not automatically go into a cage either but will pop up beside you when you re-enter the lot. It would be best to cage them before leaving if you have roommates. Never depend on others to care for your pet when you are not there.

S

Sativa L

I had 4 cats that ran loose for well over a year in BF. They were NEVER put in their cages. When I landed, they were at the door waiting for me. They do not stay locked up in fenced areas.
In fact, they even survived the merge uncaged!

This was at my home, not on a busy lot open to the public. They were not left in the hands of roomies.

I believe they "shut down" as the lot does, and as long as they are taken care of when the lot is open I have had no problems.

A

alohaskills

"It would be so much easier if there were the "needs" bar thingys so we could actually "see" what they need."

Now that is something I think is definitely needed. Our avatars have the bars to let us know how low our needs are, why not the pets? Would be great to actually get to see what their needs are at any given time.

I also agree with another post about paying a fine for the return of the pet. That's an awsome idea!

G

The reason some players are extra cautious about caging pets, is because there was a bug for a while that would keep your lot in 'open' status even if no one from that lot was online!

It was annoying when all your parrots, fish, and flowers died....but it was devastating when all your uncaged pets ran away.

Anyone who remembers that bug, cages their pets before logging off...or at least understands why others do so.

I am also confused by the OP's statement that they always cage, but got a message as soon as they logged in, that the pet had been taken....I have never heard of a caged pet 'running away'.....

G

Hope it's not a new bug!

Maybe there is a new "Dog Catcher" job track that we're not aware of.

G

I agree, the pets should not run away.
There should be 2-3 warnings, and if the pet was still unhappy a police officer could come over and give you a 1000 simoleon fine. But you should never be in danger of losing the pet.

Same thing in Sims1, the children could be taken away forever to the military school... They should have learned by now that the players don't want that to happen.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it totally sux. Had it happen to a well socialized tiger once. Good thing we can't have sim children or they would take those too !

I

illianne

I am so sorry for your loss.Back in the day I had a cat given to me by a friend.I took very good care of her and caged her when I left(private residence). I proceeded to log off and got the message the next day when I logged in that my cat was taken for neglect!! I was very upset needless to say.

M

mike1977

I think it should be at least be an option on the phone to call and pay a fine to get a pet back. Things can happen if you take out a rare pet, even if you are responsible and cage them everytime you leave.

The city could crash (or you lose power, internet) while you have the pet out. It gets late and you have to go to bed or leave for real life important stuff and you can't wait any longer. Who knows when you'll be able to log in the next time. By that time, it could be gone!

G

I had always been told to put all the pets in inventory before leaving the lot or logging off. I decided to try that theory and left a couple of cats out and never caged them. Sure enough, after several weeks they were "catnapped" and stolen by Maxis. I've never had anything taken in inventory and to this day I refuse to let any of my rares run lose if I'm not online. Just a precaution.

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

log on this morning to find a letter in my inbox saying that my robot cat ran away from social neglect!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you got the message in your inbox then that would mean it had to be sent while you were offline, which meant the cat *ran away* while *you* were offline.

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont have to be offline to get inbox game messages such as this. We get them in stores when items sell, also you get one when you get a job and you get one when you die at the robot factory. There is no reason why you wouldnt get one if a pet ran away, its a message generated by the game, not another person.

I

imported_Calina.Rhiannon

OMG, I'm so sorry this happened to you! I couldn't imagine losing my bernie or tiger
I keep all my pets in my inventory as a safety measure, but if this is a bug I'm not sure I want to put them out until its fixed.

G

I agree, the rare and ultra rare pets should not be able to run away. Maybe they could faint from lack of food. hahaha

I would have a fit if my robo cat ran away for any reason.

Course I also think we should be able to train the mean pets to be nice. There are a lot of rare and ultra rare mean pets, that people would like to be able to train. I think rare and ultra rare mean pets is totally a kick in the back side to players that took the time and money to pull them. Not everyone is a botter and I hate being treated like one.

With the price of cages and the low payouts and the high cost of everything else, I don't see too many rares being pulled in the long run. Which makes each robo pet in the game all that more valuable and your right they are a "valuable object" in the game and should be treated as such.

I wonder if there is a age to the pets and after so many hours out of their cages they run away no matter how they are treated? This is not the first time I have heard of a pet running away for no reason.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Your forgetting that often we get booted to desk top by the game. It can be no fault of ours if the pet is out and we get a error and our sim goes poof and when we come back the pet has run away.

G

I watch my robo dog like a hawk. He is mean, I always keep wrestle with him. He is constantly greening. Sleep, eat, potty, bath, play. When he is happy he goes on a fixing spree. He goes from one broken item to the next fixing them. I do not disturb him during this process. When he stops he needs to rest again. I know he will soon need social and a bath. If a customer comes in, I crate him. I do not want him to recieve negative attn. The mean pets do great on residential lots. You never even have to crate them on those lots. I love the mean pets. They are hilarious. I have many, a lot of my rares are mean and I can keep them out now.
Of all my rare pets, the robots are the only ones that I have off of a residential lot. Those are my mechanics.
These lots are perfect for pets. They do not have needs there. I have never heard of any pets running away from a residential lot. It is a great place to go and play with your pets.
The pets need way more attention than a busy house can give them. I have seen a robot dog walking around in game with the bath over its head. In a busy skill house. I told the owner and roomies and did not see anyone bathe him. I wonder if they still have that dog. As soon as they potty, they need a bath. They seem to green constantly, way more than my sims.

I am sorry for your loss. I know how easy it is to lose a pet. I had a mean cat I could not social, he ran away, even though I sent him constant praises.
I would like to see the needs of the pets changed. They should not require constant attention to assure they do not run off. This is the reason you do not see more pets out in game. You can't enjoy them when you are worried they will run off if you turn your back for a few minutes. Rather than run off they could refuse to mouse or wrestle (refuse to fix things for robots) until they are happy. I don't think they should need more than one bath in a sim day or week even. The mean ones should be able to be trained to be good and the nice should become mean with neglect.

Sorry for the book.

M

mike1977

<blockquote><hr>

I had always been told to put all the pets in inventory before leaving the lot or logging off. I decided to try that theory and left a couple of cats out and never caged them. Sure enough, after several weeks they were "catnapped" and stolen by Maxis. I've never had anything taken in inventory and to this day I refuse to let any of my rares run lose if I'm not online. Just a precaution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...well we are risking our rares anytime we let them out when they have needs. All it takes is one second...poof...you are unable to get back in the game immediately and cage the pet(s).

R

Rosebush3333

I've left pets out for months alone and never were any taken, not once. The time it takes to get back after crashing is probably gonna be less than a few months so I would venture to guess that your pet will be fine in the interim. I have dial up and I used to crash all the time, no problem.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

I do like the idea of a warning about neglecting the pets. But, if none were to ever run away, what would be the point of feeding them, seeing they have a comfortable bed, or things to play with?
Praising works to helps social of a mean pet and you don't get scratched, also I have a mean dog get social from another dog. Cats don't do that so all I have ever done is praise for mean cats. Never lost one. Never lost any pets for that matter and I have had most of the same ones for years now.
If you don't want to lose your pet, never leave the responsiblity of caring for it to anyone else, no matter who it is. Not saying people will be mean, but it can be hard enough for an owner to remember it is out, much less someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pets are in the game for social. They are purchased and I do believe that taking the pet is way too harsh. Why can't they just add an action like they do for us when where hungry, tired ect. .

V

ValarieNicoleBF

I only have a Tiger, Saint, and Pink...and since they really don't do much except look pretty when their out, I keep them in their cage. But that really is sad
So Sorry.

G

I remember the long debate about pets before they were added. One of the main issues was that no one wanted them to die, like they do in the offline game.

I believe that the running away/being removed was the work around to dying.

When the pets came out, they had no idea that the market for rares would develop like it did, or that we would ever have mega millions to 'pull' rares....it was meant to be a random lottery, where everyone bought unopened crates and sometimes got a rare. It was only later when roaches were added that cats chased mice, dogs could be trained to sit or attack or that the chance of mean pets were added, just to give more dimension and unpredictability to pets ownership.

That was quickly worked around to pet stores opening as many crates as their lots could hold....back when everyone was wanting a pet, they could still sell the non-rares easily, when the mean pets were added, store owners sold them back, because no one wanted to buy them. Then someone figured out how to 'pull' for rares, with the sell back, at a profit. And the rest you all know.

My point being, that the design was never set up to handle the trade in rares. No one 4 years ago, ever considered that we would be in the place we are today.

It has been said over and over, that the game cannot distinguish between a rare and non-rare pet....so if they remove 'mean' and 'running away', it would have to be for *all* pets...is that what we want? Is there a better way to give pets some variety, individuality and unpredictability? How could we redesign pets to make them more fun, and not just another greening or repair tool?

If we think about this and work it out, we might end up with a design for the Wiki, that they may be able to use, to change the design of pets in EA-Land.

G

Some of you mentioned about putting your pets in inventory when you're not on your lot, and that maybe they do "die" in a sense by being taken away. My robo cat was very old...80% for the longest time. I know for a fact that I never left my robo out when I wasn't online (was always scared that they would run away if I did) but I did always leave her out "in her crate" all of the time and my roomies would often be on while I was not. Makes me wonder if they are considered "out" when left out of inventory even though they are in their crate.
I like the idea of paying a fee and or getting a warning before they are taken away forever. I woke up today and the first thing that entered my mind was "omg, she is really gone"....I just don't get it...I had 2 pet statues, often had another pet out while she was out...always praised and pet her after she would fix something, never left her out of her crate when I wasn't online and my guests would often give her attention (I always made sure that none of my guests did mean interactions with her). I really would like to report this but I know Maxis would just insist that if could no way be a glitch
I dunno, maybe the robo cats need more attention than what I thought, if so, that isn't fair...they really should have the "needs" bars for the pets like they do in the offline version. You guys have really been great....thanks so much for support.

R

Rosebush3333

Just so that you know, and anyone else who might be doing this thinking it works.. cat can not get social from other cats or dogs. Period. Statues do not give them social either. Maybe your kitty needed more than the occasional praise from fixing items. I have seen you mention twice now about having left a pet out to social your cat. That does not happen in this game. Dogs will social each other, yes. Cats, no. Maybe this is where you are thinking the robocat had ample socialing during the day.

G

This is true Rosebush....good catch!

The pet statues give fun, and so do scratching posts, watching parrots and the big play gym. Only people give social to cats. It is very hard to keep a mean cat social.

A mean dog can be praised into accepting wrestle and kept social that way, or from another dog, if they like them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

It has been said over and over, that the game cannot distinguish between a rare and non-rare pet....so if they remove 'mean' and 'running away', it would have to be for *all* pets...is that what we want?

[/ QUOTE ]
Every object in every game has a unique identifier, this is how the game "remembers" the items on your lot and in your inventory. It would be relatively simple to write a few lines of code to flag the IDs for special handling.

G

ttl

I've had a mean robo cat for years, he is a great fixer cat. The only way to give them social is by petting them. They hiss, scratch, and literally hate you for it, but it gives them social none the less. You must keep an eye on the pets so you can provide for them as they need. Petting it 5 or 6 times in a row fills it up and it's fine for quite awhile. I have never had a pet taken or run away, and I often left them out while I was away from the property. Their needs do not go down while the property is closed. It is true putting the carriers in inventory rather than sitting on the lot helps them remember who you are, but it's also more risky because of the "things go poof" bug. The only pet I ever lost was due to that bug. I sat my mean st bernard out and poof he was gone

G

TTL

One part of me want's rare's to say in the game for ever. And another part want's not just rare's but everything to have a 1% chance to just be deleted from the game. That way everything will stay in demand, and there's a constant money drain, and it keep owner's on their toes. The longer this game is active the less rare everything gets *shrugs*.

LOL but that's easy for me to say I don't have any rares

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just so that you know, and anyone else who might be doing this thinking it works.. cat can not get social from other cats or dogs. Period. Statues do not give them social either. Maybe your kitty needed more than the occasional praise from fixing items. I have seen you mention twice now about having left a pet out to social your cat. That does not happen in this game. Dogs will social each other, yes. Cats, no. Maybe this is where you are thinking the robocat had ample socialing during the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

awww, I didn't know that. Well maybe my cat wasn't getting what she needed than
I assumed that another pet being out would give her social in between human contacts. I have to admit, I would mostly "praise" her than "pet" her....does the praise interaction not give social? I knew that the statues only offered fun and I kept up on keeping her litter box clean constantly (was always a stickler about that one lol). Well I guess my ignorance in the pet to pet social contact cost me my cat
I'm going to make sure that I spread the word on that so others don't lose their cats. Thanks for that bit of info