• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[News] TC 1 Has Been Updated

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Prince Erik

Oh and before I come across as a bitter old man - I do want to give credit to the devs for the other changes. Great ideas there! Thanks especially for the provoke fix. I haven't played my bard in the gauntlet in ages because I was tired of effecting everyone else's game play every time I provoked something. I can now play guilt free!

Oops, scratch that my bard only has GM magery, every touch from an RC or impaler will probably kill me. Dang.

-P.E.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The poison shouldn't really be able to resist a higher circle as easy -

Circle + magery skill = chance to cure.
Circle + magery skill = chance to dispel.

And sometimes, the only way to cure myself or pets in a timley manner is to cast arch cure instead of cure.

Doing this, the only thing arch cure would really be good for is group dread horns and Cheif. Currently people use arch cure to cure level 5 at a higher rate.

Just asking please don't almost kill this spell.. maybe lower the cure rate down a bit; but it should cure more than normal cure.

-------------------------------

How about this?
one person is hit by arch cure, 90% chance for level 5,
two people: 80%
three people: 70%
four people: 60%
five people or more: 50%.

Maybe not these exact numbers, but just an idea.

R

rolan69vw

Nurf to Arch Cure

Basically this means, that if you dont use UO Assist your not going to be able to PvP on a mage. Fast Swing speeds and the ability to hit a 120 wrestle 45 dci mage 85% of the time favor dexers enogh. I dont understand why so many usless changes keep taking place while the real issues are never fixed. Do something about speed hacking, ghost cams, healling and chugging scripts and stop wasting your time in stupid stuff. Have Devs ever played UO???
I have never seen a post on this archcure thing, however they change it. I have seen many posts on ghost cams for years now and nothing has been done. Do Devs even read our posts or e-mails??? or they just have a couple trammies they know that tell them what to do and what not to do. WTF are you thinking! Trully getting tired of this stuff.

Rolan

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you for the wonderful list of changes, especially with the provo bug Leurocian looked into.

I'll choose to focus on the positive and feel assured that with the collective outcry from both sides of the moongate over the mistake in judgement regarding arch cure, that Jeremy is taking the feedback to those who need it. I walked away from my computer yesterday after reading this thread. A few things lately have me scratching my head in wonderment, this was one of them.

*hugs Jeremy and hands her a white flag*
I do not envy your position.

G

I've GMed Poisoning 3 times, my Nox Mage(LONG time ago), my Necro/Mage (Before AoS came out), and recently my Stealth Assassin (Had to dump it though to get Tactics back because they came out with the Tactics requirement for Specials right after i GMed Poisoning on him).

Prior to the publish that removed the Anti-Macro Code (Which also broke 8x8), Poisoning was pretty hard to gain, but Taming still took longer to GM. Now with the Anti-Macro Code removed, you can gain off of Poisoning the same Fishsteak repeatedly for an infinite amount of times. I used to have to Poison about 20 Daggers in a bag and cycle through them. Now Poisoning is alot easier to gain, and nowhere near as tough as Taming to gain. Hell, if you record yourself Poisoning the Fishsteak like 10-20 times with UOA, then make it to where when you target the Poison Potion, it says "Target Item Type", it's pretty damn easy now. Just gotta hit the Macro button every now and then.

G

Interesting, and mostly good changes.

I'm disappointed that you can still use petballs in animal form. Please fix that.

Also, I think the archcure spell tweak is a bit severe. A 120 mage should be able to cure deadly poison ~75% of the time and lethal poison ~50% of the time with archcure. Greater cure pots should be the same as a GM mage, which is slighly lower, perhaps deadly at 60% and lethal at 40%.

Otherwise poisoning is not useful in pvp.

I

imported_Fran Fury

About the animal form- I am glad they changed it where you can be in animal form. My character put points into a skill to be able to use animal. How many points do you use to ride a horse? None. So if you could not use in animal form you should not be able to use mounted either. I am sure there would have been a lot more people upset if they could not use it mounted and they got revealed.

I do agree with you about the arch cure though. It is way to severe.And based on 120 magery which most players do not have. Your suggested ranges seem a lot closer to what they should be.

I hope they change something about it before it goes live on all shards.

C

Clx-

<blockquote><hr>

PVP'ers and PVM'ers are all united on something!

EA has done it!

We are united!

I've not seen a thread for an anti nerf where both parties are chiming in together. This should tell the team something ROFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is pretty much the first time ever, and definetely the first time i've agreed with stigmatas~

U

uk_crafter

<blockquote><hr>

how about "if it aint broke dont fix it"

ever hear THAT phrase?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they had of then we wouldn't have half the problems we got in this game!

You Dev's REALLY should be concentrating on REAL problem solving and not idle tinkering.
This change has the potential to be a Pandora's box of issues affecting a wide range of templates for mostly all the reasons given so far.

Listen to the player base and leave this change out............

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I think high level poison and curing in general is a little out of whack.
Perhaps cures could have varying degrees of success?
For the highest level poisons, make it so there is a very low chance of any cure attempt completely curing the poison (except bandages for the time being [unless a bandage timer change could be included to make it so attempts to cure take less time than attempts to heal]... because it takes forever to use a bandage to cure). Instead, make it so that a successful cure will reduce the level of poison by a certain number of levels.
Using magery as an example...

% chance to cure = (10000+(A7*100) -2 * 3100)/100
Minimum Levels cured = 1
Maximum levels cured = 1 + ( Magery / 120 ) * 4
0-30: 1 level
30-60: 1-2 levels
60-90: 1-3 levels
90-120: 1-4 levels

[/ QUOTE ]Nobody has any comments on this suggestion?
I think it would make high level poison still a big hit against people, but not something that is unreasonably difficult to cure, while at the same time making it more than acceptable for arch cure to simply be a cure that impacts more than one person.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

your basicly making poison fencers, mage killers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this may or may not be a bad thing in the larger context of the game. Speaking in generalities, every template should have a counter - when they don't, everyone just plays that template. However, it may be that nox dexxers don't have a counter, or won't because of this change, and that IS a bad thing. Or it may be that there are so many other ways to counter poison (petals, pots, etc) that this isn't nearly as bad a change as it looks at first.

Some of the community's reaction to ANY change is always "OMG change! Change is BAD!" In order to accurately gauge impact, we have to figure that part of the reaction in to the calculations. And sometimes a change has long-term effects that none of us can accurately predict.

Edited to add, the fact that mages AREN'T item-dependent still drives me batty, personally. The skill was designed to require (stealable, consumable) reagents for EVERYTHING it did.

*goes off and sulks in the corner with her bandages*

[/ QUOTE ]

So why would you target the way to avoid poison that you need to:
1. Stop to cast the spell
2. Not get disrupted while casting
3. Use mana casting

Maybe you should have made a tweak to the one button hit wonder of cure pots instead? I mean I can hold down my drink cure potion all day long while some dexy poison spams me and cure once a second! And at a lousy cost of 8gp per potion (when i make them myself), I'm not wasting very much gold!

Oh did I mention you made potions viable to every single person in the entire game now? One hand free or balanced!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'm seeing two seemingly contradictory statements here - one, that Archcure is basically useless now, and two, that this change is a massive nerf. That's why I'm asking how often it gets used currently - I'm seeing a lot of statements about how it's pretty useless in PvP anyway - I want to isolate the people who will be the most affected by the change.

Oh, as for the IDOC changes, we are currently having a hardware issue with the housing server for the Test Centers. Until we get that back up, we can't test or publish the housing changes, so it slipped out til next publish. Sorry!

[/ QUOTE ]

Arch cure will be useless now.

Make some line of sight fixes in particular areas (bridges) so it will work better.

Not to mention I always get "you cannot see that" half the time trying to use the spell.

*everyone huddle up for the arch cure*

*hayyyyyyyyyyyyyy! my dot for arch cure all!*

G

<blockquote><hr>

That's another good question - how much does the area effect aspect actually get used?

[/ QUOTE ]

With a damage output of what like 5 max? Not very often. Its underused especially in chokes/grinders. Half the players in the game bring a archer to a choke point fight and he sits there trying to single target. Instead he could be shooting his magical with hit spell/hit area, mana leech, spamming the chain lightning attack and putting some fizzles on everyone else.

Though you can look into the big with area effect spell and momentum strike if it hasent been fixed.

X

Xizz

Just some comments on the arch-cure changes;

My mage would be screwed without arch-cure since i dont like to rely on pots.
My noxfencer is screwed pretty often to, BUT NOT BECAUSE OF ARCH CURE.

Arch cure is fine! it takes more time to cast wich gives dexer a chance to interrupt it, the problem is GREATER CURE POTS. Not Arch cure.

So..please, dont touch arch cure. nerf pots. thank you.

I

imported_athos_uo

<blockquote><hr>

Noxin, by all means, go into more detail on the Arch Cure thing - and everyone else who's concerned about it. And please, TEST it too. I'm perfectly prepared to go to the table and tell the devs that this needs to be tweaked, but I need details.

[/ QUOTE ]
Japanese players also groan that they cannot understand why archcure or mage should be nerfed now.

A player states:
<blockquote><hr>

There are many other means to detox L5 poison:
<ul>[*]GCP chance to detox: 75%[*]Cure 20% at magery 100[*]Arch cure 87% at magery 100(now)[*]Cleanse by Fire 75% at Chivalry 100[*]Bandage 100% at Healing 100[*]Damage Removal(talisman) 100% without any skills[/list]
The chance to detox L5 poison by Arch Cure should be at least as same as Cleanse by Fire of Chivalry.

Arch Cure has been an availabe option for mage to detox other people. If this were nerfed, mages cannot detox other members in party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another player:
<blockquote><hr>

I had used usually Cure before publish 25, but when cure was nerfed at publish 25, I substituted Cure with Arch Cure in my macros.

Arch Cure is for mage very useful and cannot be missed when a mage fights against monsters that use high level poisons.

For example, when we fight against Chief Paroxysmus in guild party, I play a role of curing mage casting Arch Cure. If Arch Cure were nerfed, such party role play would be impossible for mage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

The contrast between the rest of the Publish and the Greater Cure nerf is really marked.

I'd be very curious as to hear the reasoning behind the change, that as far as I know no one wanted or asked for.

When they did the Bag of Sending changes (another change that, while some tolerated and others even liked, no one had actually requested or asked for), they had an explanation. Not all of us liked it, not all of us "bought" it, and they added to it later...

But, for now, the point is that the explanation was there at all. That's important.

-Galen's player

G

<blockquote><hr>

how much DCI do you run with that MR though? lol that's what really matters

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I don't PvP....hmmm, let me go look.... 22

I

imported_mr.blackmage

reply in general...

Make arch cure less effective (around 75-85% chance at 120?) but have it cure everyone. Change it back to a level 4 cast time.

Make cure back to the way it used to be. Make cure potions less effective.

Wouldn't that make sense?

A

AlanofCats

<blockquote><hr>

I had used usually Cure before publish 25, but when cure was nerfed at publish 25, I substituted Cure with Arch Cure in my macros.

Arch Cure is for mage very useful and cannot be missed when a mage fights against monsters that use high level poisons.

For example, when we fight against Chief Paroxysmus in guild party, I play a role of curing mage casting Arch Cure. If Arch Cure were nerfed, such party role play would be impossible for mage.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about beefing up the healing skill to work as a compliment to eval as it does anatomy? Give it a bonus at GM like automatically reducing the level of poison by 1. Have it increase cure and healing potency in all abilities the do that? Through added healing skill you basically upgrade cure to greater cure by incresing cure potency something like 5% per 10 points healing skill. Would go a way to reducing hybrid templates and help out that PvM designated healer/dure person.

Z

zeromessiah

Ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha........ha. my god all u people flame so much. 12 pages of the same SH#@.
OMG I cant cure poison. OMG they want to kill mages. OMG lassie my kitten is stuck in a well. so were complaining about not being able to cure poison. the last time i checked a level 5 poison was not supposed to be easy to cure. whats the point of working the poisoning skill to gm if in a second you can cure it 100 percent of the time. ...I promised my self i wasn't guna flame about all the stuff that rumpels my stillskin but here we go .
ok here is the question when was the last time mages got a nerf oh ya there last nerf made it so warriors using bushido were affected the most.
how many flamestrike/explo combos can go off between evasions,that brings up another point why is there only 1 skill in the game that lets you dodge a mages attack, and in order to use this skill you need anatomy, you need tactics, you need parry, you need wep skill. thats five skills. how many skills does a mage need to block a wepon attack, they need magery, and a mage wepon thats one skill and a wepon for a chance to block. ok i am tired of typing so there will be more to come.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Is Archcure currently the preferred method of curing poison, as opposed to drinking potions? (Or Cleanse by Fire for those with Chiv?) (I'd be kinda surprised if it were in PvP, because up until the last publish, it had MASSIVE flagging issues.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my !@#Ing god are we serious? If they nerf Arch cure, the only alive mages will be ones carring 100+ greater cures. Who the !@$ asked for this to be put in? I don't believe I have seen a thread anywhere asking for something remotely close to this.

If anything needs nerfed at all, it's potions.

Z

Zan186

<blockquote><hr>

Ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha........ha. my god all u people flame so much. 12 pages of the same SH#@.
OMG I cant cure poison. OMG they want to kill mages. OMG lassie my kitten is stuck in a well. so were complaining about not being able to cure poison. the last time i checked a level 5 poison was not supposed to be easy to cure. whats the point of working the poisoning skill to gm if in a second you can cure it 100 percent of the time. ...I promised my self i wasn't guna flame about all the stuff that rumpels my stillskin but here we go .
ok here is the question when was the last time mages got a nerf oh ya there last nerf made it so warriors using bushido were affected the most.
how many flamestrike/explo combos can go off between evasions,that brings up another point why is there only 1 skill in the game that lets you dodge a mages attack, and in order to use this skill you need anatomy, you need tactics, you need parry, you need wep skill. thats five skills. how many skills does a mage need to block a wepon attack, they need magery, and a mage wepon thats one skill and a wepon for a chance to block. ok i am tired of typing so there will be more to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Poisioning is already extremely overpowered!

The simple solution that makes the most sense to have a fail and reduction method.
Cure at 120 Magery should have a 25% chance to cure level 5 poision. If you fail the poision level should be reduced to level 4. At level 4 you should have a 50% chance to cure. If you fail it should be reduced to level 3 which should have a 75% chance to cure and at level 2 it should be 100%.

Cure pots are also over powered and abused. There should be a 15 second timer between cure pot usage.

Poision skill is not that hard to get and you only need 80 poisioning to hit with lethal poision. The truth is most nox warriors use fast weapons to poision and can poision you again as soon as you cure. It is an imbalance and one that needs to be addressed properly.

Nothing is lamer in the game than trying and failing to cure 7x in a row.
Arch Cure is fine the way it is.

G

<blockquote><hr>

That's another good question - how much does the area effect aspect actually get used?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't PVP so I can't speak to the Arch Cure AoE in that respect, but I do have a pure healer mage that I use for events, he can often be found in the middle of the fray casting Arch Cure, Heal, tossing bandages and the odd bless or two. For this character this could be a heavy nerf, and I do mean nerf. He's not there for loot, just to heal.

Quite honestly if you are looking to change the spell, I'd have to say if you are going to change it in that way, we players could really use a equally effective AoE healing spell. I know this isn't really the thread for this, but quite honestly all the spells need a good revamp/revision. When you get right down to it there is a lot of redundancy in the spell list (explosion/flame strike do almost the same damage)

But for Arch Cure, the fact that you already have spent 100 pts in two different skills (magery/Eval) or more, should give you the cost balance for curing level 5 poison or even level 6 most of the time. Removing the AoE might be better than changing it Cure 2.0.

Just my 2 coppers

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Thank you for the wonderful list of changes, especially with the provo bug Leurocian looked into.

I'll choose to focus on the positive and feel assured that with the collective outcry from both sides of the moongate over the mistake in judgement regarding arch cure, that Jeremy is taking the feedback to those who need it. I walked away from my computer yesterday after reading this thread. A few things lately have me scratching my head in wonderment, this was one of them.

*hugs Jeremy and hands her a white flag*
I do not envy your position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I echo this post completely. It's a wonderfull publish. It's got that one ugly ugly thing ruining it though. At this point, I have high hopes that the change will either get thrown out, or at least you will be able to cure high level poison at GM or SLIGHTLY higher magery. I think Jeremy won't let this happen. I felt kinda bad for flamin the crap outta them esp. with all the good in this publish. But the ArchCure thing really does suck.

I have confidence she'll make it right though.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Also, I think the archcure spell tweak is a bit severe. A 120 mage should be able to cure deadly poison ~75% of the time and lethal poison ~50% of the time with archcure. Greater cure pots should be the same as a GM mage, which is slighly lower, perhaps deadly at 60% and lethal at 40%.

Otherwise poisoning is not useful in pvp.

[/ QUOTE ]

What what what? You obviously haven't ever faced a competent nox mage. The number of time's I've utterly destroyed people on my nox mage (which doesnt have a wep skill) is pretty funny, because I can simply out cycle their level 4 spells, so to make it have an even worse chance of curing, would be extremely laughable. Even in the age of items and pots, there is only so long and so much people will carry, till they eventually run out.

Of course, for what little dueling goes on these days, it would be even more overpowered than it already is. It doesn't take a great of skill for me to kill people, because they can't cure my poison.

From a dexers perspective, they would be absolutely laughing at these changes. A comptent dexer would eat mages alive.

And at anyone who says Arch Cure is useless, well it's more like the other way about, the player themselves is useless, because almost every spell in the spellbook has it's uses in certain situations.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

how much DCI do you run with that MR though? lol that's what really matters

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I don't PvP....hmmm, let me go look.... 22

[/ QUOTE ]

matters more for PvP, no doubt. but Paroxysmus and every other critter has a chance to hit you, and with higher DCI, you'll stay alive longer, and be able to use that MR ;P

D

David of FL

<blockquote><hr>

I'm a dumb noob who only knows how to use 2 buttons to pvp with, toggle poison and apply bandage

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I agree.

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there a reason to go back 3 pages and reply to my post, which wasn't even a flame to begin with?

I personally don't give a rats a$$ where this one lands, so I'm not sure why out of 12 or so pages you decided to choose my post to link to...

Z

zeromessiah

sry connar did not mean to land on ur post i aggree with you 98 percent of the time heck i even learned by bushido stuff from you and bagdaddy this is the second time i have posted still geting used to the kinks was trying to post as a hole

G

As I posted to my shard forum on the Arch Cure change:

- Arch Cure now cures poison at the same difficulty as the regular cure spell.
# At 120 magery:
# Level 1: 100% chance to cure
# Level 2: 100% chance to cure
# Level 3: 97% chance to cure
# Level 4: 66% chance to cure
# Level 5: 35% chance to cure

This change is a total nerf. Having read a lot of the stuff on uhall it always tends to focus on pvp, when pvm seems to be barely considered when they do these nerfs.

Basically in my view, to 100% cure using Arch Cure as it is now you had to expend 120 skill points on magery, paid millions for a 120 mage scroll, and odds are also 120 ei. So I think the above is a reasonable cost to ensure getting 100% success rate on Arch Cure. The poisoner required NO expense in MILLIONS in a 120 poison scroll (yes I know they don't exist), nor had to expend the additional 20 skill points to get lethal poison ability, they get that at basic gm level.

The casting time on Arch Cure is already a lot slower so the penalty for casting is already there, even when you get it off the poisoner can insta hit you with it again in less time than it takes for you cast the arch cure while repeatedly being able to beat on you with whatever weapon they use, so at times it is all you can cast just to keep alive, let alone cast anything else to actually fight back. As it stands NOW, in PVP, if you have anything less than 120 magery (which already stated above you 'paid for in skill points and scroll costs for the priviledge') you are already pretty much dead on lethal poison anyways as you will fizzle to get an arch cure off due to your spell being 'disrupted' as well as not having a 100% success chance if you even manage to get it off as it will 'fail' and depending on the rng may need to cast it a few times for it to work. Either that or suffer the penalty to resist magic (-30% to skill) and faster casting to avoid disruption by fighting with using the protection spell, both drawbacks already to ensure you don't get disrupted, tho your success rate is still not guaranteed. The ONLY 100% chance is with 120 mage.

The nerf is much greater in pvm. How exactly are those who pvm going to do Paroxysmus, Dreadhorn or fight a Yamadon or rotting corpses?

Maybe a 1:3 chance to cure at 120 magery assuming the rng is being nice to you, if not maybe you will need to cast it 20 times, but odds are you will be dead by then especially as those creatures spam lethal at you so even if you get the rng being nice on the first roll of the die, odds are you won't on the second. In dreadhorn, paroxy and with the yamadon it is not like you can 'avoid' it by keeping your distance as they area affect spam it.

Now if you are a GM mage, 110 mage or less, what is the % chance to cure? If you don't have the protection spell cast you are likely to be 'disrupted' each and every time you try to cast and even if not disrupted will have a 0 to less than 35% (maybe 5% at gm or 20 at 110? ,who knows, chance to actually cast it.

At dreadhorn or at paroxysmus you may as well just get used to dying by lethal poison, when dreadhorn hits you as well as poisons at the same time odds are you are already on 1/4 or less health, if you have to attempt to get an arch cure off that is going to be unsuccessful two thirds of the time or LESS, and probably NEVER if you have less than 120 mage, grey will be the only colour you see 95% of the time and in paroxsymus probably 100% of the time as without a way to have 100% success chance you may as well forget it. Even with the 100% success chance it still requires very good timing to get it off in time to assist groups and stop others and yourself from dying . The 120 mages are usually the ONLY way to effectively heal groups at these dungeons as a hit with poison by one of these needs instant cure to 'save' the person as even trying to bandy heal against it will just not give you the time to get it off before seeing grey. Most pvm'ers are not in the habit of carting around copious amounts of cure pots, nor want to be disarming shields to counter a lethal spamming boss monster, you may as well not equip your shield on these things if that is the case as it will be in your backpack for the whole thing anyways while you constantly chug pots to cure given death is pretty much guaranteed with no 100% arch cure ability.

This to me is an incredibly stupid nerf, one that was not asked for, not complained about and should not even be considered. But as in all things, like the nerf to the Bos's, a poorly thought out, unasked for change, which will happen irrespective of the MAJORITY of players not wanting it, put in, for whatever reason by someone who probably hardly or never actually plays UO who thinks is a 'good' idea, when in actual fact it will just add another thing to make playing UO LESS enjoyable for the many.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This to me is an incredibly stupid nerf, one that was not asked for, not complained about and should not even be considered. But as in all things, like the nerf to the Bos's, a poorly thought out, unasked for change, which will happen irrespective of the MAJORITY of players not wanting it, put in, for whatever reason by someone who probably hardly or never actually plays UO who thinks is a 'good' idea, when in actual fact it will just add another thing to make playing UO LESS enjoyable for the many.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm.... play the game.....how novel.....

Well, this change is not going to be well recieved. All the people I've told in-game about it that don't read the boards have responded with the same reaction as 98% of those in this thread. Except, they didn't use the nice words we did here. I'm skeptical as you are whether or not player feedback will make any difference. After 12 pages you would think there would be some compromise or omition of this change.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we please get a response concerning why the new tree seeds aren't included in the update list? We thought they were supposed to come out with this update...

G

Can't place a house there on test either, house placement is either shut off, or tool malfunctioning perma like ... kinda shoots hanging out on test in the foot, with out some home base to function from besides some inn all the time.

I enjoy test shards but not when no one can even place a puny plot cuz the placement features are shut off or malfunctioning perma like all the time for the duration. Shut down or malfunctioning housing features are not a grand confidence builder to stick around on test shard.

C

Crystilastmous

Paroxsymous (Sp?), Dp dexxers with 1.25 second swings, and any monster that DP's is going to be ridiculously over powered.

There are constantly patches coming out that are hitting mages hard, really hard.

Why does it need to be changed? No need to tweak it in the first place.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Can we please get a response concerning why the new tree seeds aren't included in the update list? We thought they were supposed to come out with this update...

[/ QUOTE ]

i miss it...where did they say this???

G

I, like many others, switched my 'cure' macro to 'arch cure' when cure was changed and became totally unreliable for fighting even a lowly wyvern, let alone poison elementals or rotting corpses.

Strangely, I have never seen any posts complaining about flagging issues connected with it.

I never use it for its area effect and I don't carry potions, though that looks like something I'm going to have to change.

G

They've mentioned cocoa trees...if that isn't what the poster is talking about, I'm not sure

---

As an aside, Yew Gate is mostly Nox-Dexxing fencers, and Necro Mages. These two templates have dominated the fight for awhile now, and these are suitable characters, each one with the most difficulty and cost in the suit that allows them to perform the way they do.

Necro mages are easy to grind, and the poison skill is difficult to grind, but the final output usually depends on the items a template can use rather than the skill training difficulty ;P. The new gauntlet system made mages easier to suit up. On my shard, Staff of the Magi goes for as low as 1 mil gold now (1-3 mil average). However, staff necro mages cannot use potions. Because of this weakness, a lot of people run Wand necro mages instead. Wand mages can balance any wand with a crystalline ring (~17 mil), which guarantees at least 111 magery from 120 real skill, enough to cast 7th circle 100% of the time. To make this item-template work, they also need the ornament of the magician (~7-12 mil), and the inquisitor's resolution (~30-40 mil???), which is kept expensive due to its slow spawn and the insider's knowledge of when it will spawn, which keeps the price artificially high. Wands are easy to obtain, of course, but the rest of the items mount up to 60 mil or more, unless you are on the inside. Then you have to consider the cost of scrolls, which are much more expensive than the ones dexxers will need, and then the rest of the suit, which, might require an AOF for DCI, a Hat of the Magi and Pendant of the Magi set for SDI, and a great many runic kits for the pieces in between.

The recent changes to kits have helped both mages and dexxers out, as the 100% intensities have made well made armor and weapons easily obtainable. The change to weapons helps dexxers out more than it does mages, as the ability to make "perfect" PvP weapons out of Gold Runics allows many more dexxers the ability to make a Nox-Fencer kryss, which needs, at the least, HCI, LWR D, and a Hit Spell: three mods, capable from as low as a Copper Runic hammer, with a damage bonus of 35-40 always present. Copper Runic hammers go for ~100-200k on my shard, while barbed kits go for ~2-4 mil. Jackal's Collar goes for around ~5-7 mil, and the Spirit of the Totem is around the same price tag.

The cost to make a dexxer's item-template is much cheaper than the cost to make a mage's item-template; that fact is obvious. But what is the final outcome? In the case of the Wand mage, you have an uniquely overpowered character; for the cost of most likely 80-100 mil, you get the ability to run a 6x120 necro mage with no weapon skill and a free hand. Even so, a Nox-Dexxer has the ability to insure poisoned weapons and use a special which poisons and damages in one hit for the cost of 5 mana, and as low as 3 mana with 40 LMC. Of course, the 40 LMC price tag will sky-rocket the cost of that dexxer's suit. I'm interested in monetary cost, but what's more interesting is what would be at least a 15 damage hit (assume 10 from normal hit, and 10 from the 50% hit lightning, applied once every 2 swings) which also inflicts a poison not easily cured for the cost of 3 mana. Then, of course, consider armor ignore, which applies 35-45 damage (if hit spell is considered) for the cost of 12-20 mana. Let's assume an elf, with 10 INT, is a Nox-Dexxer. That's 30 mana, or up to ten infectious strikes in a row (net damage 150), without considering regen rates, or perhaps 6 infectious strikes and, at last, an armor ignore (net damage 130).

But how much damage would a necro mage do? Ah; that's a tricky question, and the main reason the cost of a suit is interesting; the damage a necro mage does is dependent on how much money, or time, which, by all accounts, equals money, is invested in her opposition's suits, and, also, whether or not the opposing skill-templates include magic resist (hopefully, for the sake of PvP). And thus, from afar, the potting, 80 million gold piece one-hander necro mage, fighting a 70 cap and real fire resist opponent, might easily do 60 or more damage with an Explosion + Flamestrike combo, after the application of Corpse Skin. Following this damage logic, it could be assumed an Explosion + Flame Strike, Flame Strike, Pain Spike could net around 107 damage for the cost of 69 mana (assuming the dexxer runs, which is protocol).

As you can see, and as intended, I would believe, by standard gaming conventions, the dexxer is devastating in melee, and the mage from far away. Where lies the problem? ;P (other than our economy ;/). Well, most of the time, the problem lies in the individual's choice to prefer one skill-template over another. Do not be fooled: both mages and dexxers require "human skill." Counters exist in the game, as current; if you are a mage, and you get hit too often, consider DCI, or, gasp, wrestling, for disarm. Yes, you take a hit in the damage you can do, but it's the best skill-template to tackle a dexxer. If you are a dexxer, and become damaged too fast from afar, consider boosting your Fire and Poison resists to 85, for starters. Then, consider a mage is only as good as the DCI which makes her item-template; be aggressive. But most importantly, consider most mages rely on blue healers ;/. Kill them first ;D!

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

sry connar did not mean to land on ur post i aggree with you 98 percent of the time heck i even learned by bushido stuff from you and bagdaddy this is the second time i have posted still geting used to the kinks was trying to post as a hole

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, it's ok. Just don't confuse me like that, it takes too long to recuperate from Greater Confusion.

C

Connor_Graham

"pvm seems to be barely considered when they do these nerfs. "

Hear Hear!

Although this particular change doesn't affect any of my characters, MissEcho is 100% correct that PvM usually takes a beating whenever nerfs like this are put into play.

Please take into consideration the endless mana, faster than player possible casting speeds, 60+ damage hits, 80-deathrobe spell chains, unmatchable swing speeds, and all of the other things that make PvM so much different from PvP when thinking about changes.

G

Greatly reduce effectiveness of cure potions, keep arch cure unchanged.

M

macleod82

The ArchCure changes are a really bad idea. The patch will seriously injure a Mage's ability to hold his own against a warrior with poison.

Infectious strike (with weapon skill + poison) costs 10 mana (or 5 mana, with one more skill) and can easily deliver a Lethal Poison to it's victim. These weapons are fast and focused on inflicting poison while dealing steady damage to whittle a mage to nothing. The only defense is lugging around a bunch of poisons (petals mean nothing as the level is too high, and Cure is useless against this poison). It is more than reasonable that a mage stopping his offensive to cast a 4th level spell can remove this with high success, remember that while he casts that 4th level spell he's still getting beaten on by a very fast weapon that can easily disrupt his spell, he risks interruption by the Poison itself, and possibly by Bleeding (the reason cleavers are favored for poisoning). If he manages to get the spell off he is still vulnerable to being poisoned again, potentially before he can get off anything better than a first level Heal.

I don't see nox fencers running around complaining that their skill is nerfed by mages, they are doing quite well out there. If you truly feel Arch Cure is overpowered, then remove the Area Effect aspect. Pure Mages need an effective and reliable means to remove high level poisons from a single target. Pure mages are an ancient and well established archetype in the UO world and should not be marginalized.

Also, no spell should be balanced with 120 magery as a target. 120 Magery scrolls run for 14 mil on Chessy and many shards and are out of reach for players like myself. 110 or even 115 is a much fairer target, but truthfully no skill should REQUIRE a powerscroll to be effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.