• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] EMs Laurana and Faine Morgan Announce Crystal's Silver Steed Naming Contest!

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sunday, February 22
EM's Laurana and Faine Morgan
Announced Crystal [CCC]
Is Re-Opening The
Silver Steed Naming Contest

________________________________________________________​

The Silver Steed Naming book, by EM Laurana states:​

Silver Steed Naming Contest!
Congratulations to Origin for acquiring the elusive Silver Steed at the Royal Britannian Zoo! Submit your entry for the naming contest on this bulletin board by 11:59pm PST, March 7, 2009.

Vote on the EM website through March 14, 2009.
The five names with the most votes will then be submitted to a panel of judges to determine the final winner.

The winning name will be announced at the Taming Event on March 17, 2009, with a sign displayed at the Zoo to commemorate the birth of the Silver Steed. Keep an eye on the books in the Hall for more details!
________________________________________________________​

To recap the rules and deadlines:
  • By March 7, 2009: Post your Silver Steed name entry on the bulletin board in front of the EM House by 11:50 p.m. PST. One entry per player
  • March 8-14: Use the ballot box to vote for your favorite name
  • March 15: Top five names will be submitted to a panel of judges to determine the winning name
  • March 17: Winning name will be announced at the Taming Event sponsored by LSN
Time to get those creative juices flowing and come up with a name for Origin's Silver Steed! The bulletin board and book are located at the EM house next to the EM Hall in Britain.

Note from Sara: Again, a big thank you to Lady Vivian for spearheading the effort to fill up Origin's Zoo, to Crystal for conceiving the Name The Steed idea, and to EMs Laurana and Faine Morgan for making the contest a reality.
The EM's stated that although they can not post on the forums, they do read them, and that the forum was one of the easiest ways for them to get shard information.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am confused....... I thought this contest was to be handled by Crystal of CCC. When was it decided it was an EM event? Especially since an EM spoke personally to Crystal and asked her to reinstate it.

Also is it one entry per character or per account?

C

Crystal Canyon

I am confused....... I thought this contest was to be handled by Crystal of CCC. When was it decided it was an EM event? Especially since an EM spoke personally to Crystal and asked her to reinstate it.

Yes, Im more than just a bit baffled also.

I was asked yesterday to re-instate this contest and gladly agreed to do just that. In fact I was transported to a private area by EM Laurana to discuss this. We agreed that the contest would go on with CCC runing the contest, but that the EMs had asked and recieved permission for them to add to the contest by presenting a plaque to the winner of the contest.

This was discussed privately and also in the EM meet and greet conducted yesterday on this shard.

I get up this morning to find books and runes being dropped telling of the plaque that would be presented, but no mention of the fact that this contest was being run by our guild. I was a bit confused to say the least but figured sinse EM Laurana also stated in the event meetin that she would be keeping in close contact with me as to the rules of the contest and how we would be conducting the voting, that she would being contacting me soon to go over more information.

Now, I come to see if they have posted the fact that CCC was going to re-instate the contest and the heading clearly states that this is now a EM event.

WOW! thats all I can say.

BTW...who ever is changing the books on the ground to say "CCC should be ineligable" for the contest, my question now to you is WHY. It is clear that we are no longer any part of the contest and it has become a EM Event.

Im soooo confused...must be having another blonde moment...LOL

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Also is it one entry per character or per account?
Hi gunner,
I'm guessing .. and this is a guess .. that the way the contest is being handled was decided upon by the EMs and Crystal. Crystal was present when the announcements were made, and the EMs gave Crystal credit for the contest.

Due to RL commitments, I wasn't able to stay thru the entire EM event ... just the contest and the bank tour, so I was unable to ask questions for clarification.
From the way the book reads to me, it is one entry per person (player), which, in my opinion, means you can enter one time and one time only. Perhaps the EMs will read this and give us some clarification.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi gunner,
I'm guessing .. and this is a guess .. that the way the contest is being handled was decided upon by the EMs and Crystal. Crystal was present when the announcements were made, and the EMs gave Crystal credit for the contest.

So, I suppose Crystal is off the hook for suppling the prizes for the event since It is Now an EM event.

C

Crystal Canyon

Hi gunner,

Due to RL commitments, I wasn't able to stay thru the entire EM event ... just the contest and the bank tour, so I was unable to ask questions for clarification.
From the way the book reads to me, it is one entry per person (player), which, in my opinion, means you can enter one time and one time only. Perhaps the EMs will read this and give us some clarification.
Yes Sara, I was present for the announcement but what is showing in the pictures above is not all that was said either. I did not agree to turn the contest over to anyone, I agreed, and was told that they were NOT taking over the contest, they were only adding to the contest by coming up with a plaque. I was clearly asked to re-instate the contest. And I agreed to do so.

I just feel if they decided to change thier minds and take the contest over completely, that maybe I should have been told personally and not have to read it on the boards or on books on the ground.

Im sorry, Im just confused by all of this. I was so totally hyped yesterday when they talked to me and ask me to re-instate the contest and that they would help with it. I really dont even know what to think. Just really bummed out, so dont take any of what is said the wrong way. The post was just a shock to as what I thought was on.

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about we all agree to not comment in this thread until we can get some clarification?

When I arrived at the EM Hall in time to see the announcement, I was thrilled to see the contest was going to take to place after all.

I snapped a couple of screenshots at the very beginning of the meeting and had to log. Today, I logged in on Origin and saw the book by EM Laurana and the bulletin board. Again, I was thrilled, thinking ... Crystal's idea is getting done after all! This is cool for Origin!

Posted the thread, and about fell off my chair when I saw the replies.

C

Crystal Canyon

I totally agree. We should wait to make any more comments. Thanks Sara.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well done!! I am impressed, this Shard has adults that can actually act like adults!!!
Very nice :)

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First and foremost, thank you to everyone for waiting until I could get information for clarification. That thank you is from EM Faine Morgan, Crystal [CCC], and myself.

I spoke with EM Faine Morgan this evening, and this is the very first thing she wanted everyone to know:

First of all, this is NOT an EM event, this is Crystal’s!"

So, with that, I am certain you all realize this is Crystal's Silver Steed Naming contest.

I take responsibility for a part of the confusion. First of all, let me explain something. I live in a teeny tiny town in Wyoming. If I say I'm going to the grocery store, everyone knows I mean Don's. If I say I'm going to the bar, they all know I mean Mac's. In my excitement over seeing the contest reopened, and then seeing the book and bulletin board I could hardly contain myself. This is a most exciting time on Origin. The Zoo was filled ... and in record time. And the shard is going to get a sign to commemorate this achievement.

When I started to type it up, I didn't even think about how my title might be confusing ... The EM's asked Crystal to rethink having the contest, and Crystal agreed. To me, Silver Steed Naming Contest means Crystal's Silver Steed Naming Contest ... it's the ONLY Silver Steed name contest! I apologize to everyone ... especially to Crystal and the EM's for the confusion!

With that said, let me share a bit of the conversation I had with EM Faine Morgan this evening:

EM Faine Morgan: 'I’m a board hound.
I read EVERYTHING

When we saw the news about the Silver Steed, we were sooooo excited for Origin
And when we saw the naming contest, we petitioned our masters for the sign with the name.
Originally, the idea was for it to be a surprise
Something we’d sneak it in the dead of the night, so to speak
However, after seeing the contest cancelled … we had to rethink

Laurana and I discussed the matter
And decided if Crystal was here on Sunday, we would speak to her privately and see if she was willing to reopen the contest
We did not in ANY way want to add any stress to anyone!
If she had not felt up to it, we were going to request a simple “Born On’ plaque,
But still something to acknowledge the shard’s accomplishment.

In talking with Crystal, she was willing to reopen the contest * smiles *
So we made the announcement here at the meeting.
We were THRILLED
I mean, honestly, you really can’t imagine HOW thrilled
We LOVE this shard

So then, I know there were some issues about voting
and how to make it fair to everyone
Especially those that don’t read the boards
We talked with Crystal and offered to put up the bulletin board next door for the submissions
And then ballot boxes for the actual voting
We offered this as a way for everyone to have a chance to have a say

However, we told them this is NOT an EM event
We are simply helping with Crystal’s approval.

Perhaps we should have let Crystal write the book and lock it down …
That might have cut down on some of the confusion
But we simply did not think
* frowns *
I can see how it was misunderstood

One other thing … just be clear on this as well
Something else Laurana and I were TICKLED about
As you know the naming was decided to be held on the 17th during the LSN event at the Zoo
Crystal and Intoxication worked that out and agreed to it showing a TRUE community spirit
The naming is Crystal’s
The event for tamers is Intox’s
We are just here to help facilitate IF we can

(Me: Is there anything else you would like me to express?)

EM Faine: yes, actually, one thing ….
I was saddened to read of the books being changed
This is for the community and that means ALL of the community
That was Crystal’s intent and Intox’s as well, I believe, in addition to everyone else we spoke with.
I would ask, and mind you, I can only request
That everyone should think about this as such, a community event where all are welcome

Oh I almost forgot!
There is one other thing that needs to be cleared up ….
The plaque will NOT be given to any player
It will be a permanent part of the zoo

( I then inquired about gunner’s question on entries)
EM Faine Morgan: we are asking one entry per person.

(Me: For clarification then, I read that as ... Let’s say I have three accounts, I may enter one time?)
EM Faine Morgan: Aye, that is what we are asking as well, once per pixilated person

Please express our apologies as well over the confusion
We were just excited to be a small teeny tiny part of it

(Me: I was, too! And to see Origin history being made in front of my eyes!)

EM Faine Morgan: Aye, exactly
For a shard of this size to do what they’ve done ... Several shards have organized events, for Origin NOT to and get that as fast as they did ….
And, honestly, we only wanted to help with recognizing that accomplishment”
--------------------------------
Once again, I apologize for any confusion I may have contributed to! Let’s all get together, enter names for the Silver Steed, pass the word about the contest, tame for the zoo event to help keep Origin’s Steed on display … and above all else … Let’s have some fun showing the rest of the shards what a small, but mighty shard ... Origin ... can do!

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, thank you for the clarification! I am so glad to hear this. I am sorry I can only vote once. I had several other entries but this is absolutely the fair way to do this.

F

Flora Green

If people were changing the books then they have questions about the event. I suggest it be clarified who exactly is allowed to enter since this is still Crystal's event, or you may continue having some problems. :(

C

Crystal Canyon

If people were changing the books then they have questions about the event. I suggest it be clarified who exactly is allowed to enter since this is still Crystal's event, or you may continue having some problems. :(

It is a great service here on the boards, that anyone can ask a question about any event that is being posted. They can also send the person a PM from Stratics if they dont feel like making thier questions public. I know questions that I have had before I would rather do privately...LOL

I have to agree with EM Faine though when she said

Faine: yes, actually, one thing ….
I was saddened to read of the books being changed
As far as the rules about who can enter the contest... thats a hard one. I have posed that question myself to a number of people to get thier input on this. Many think that because of the fact that EM Laurana and EM Faine have so gracously offered to take care of the voting in order to make it fair and unbiased, that anyone is allowed to enter. CCC nor myself personally, will have anything to do with the voting or choosing of the winner. The general public vote will decide that, and will be totally handled by the EMs themselfs.

In an honest attempt to be totally fair, I would really like to chat with Lady Intoxication about this and see how she is handling the situation with her guild members joining in the Taming Contest sinse they are ones that are sponsoring that event. I feel that her input on this is neccesary. In the event that this doesnt pacify or satisfy anyone, I will ask that my guildmembers refrain from participating.

If there are any other questions, please feel free to contact me or either of the EMs and we will gladly give you any needed information on the contest.

P.S. If anyone wishes, they can go take a look at the names that have already been submitted on the bulletin board at the Wedding Planning House in Britian. There are some really good suggestions in! (Of course Im partial to naming him after Dr. Thompson...LOL)

I

Intoxication

Stopping books from being changed on Origin is never going to happen. I have just learned to pick them up and throw them away. You can NEVER make everyone happy, its just never going to happen no mater how big or small a shard is. I have found it is easiest just to spam the info in Luna and drop runes. With CCC's permission I will spam and send gates to the board for voting to help get as many people entering names as possible.

As for people entering I don't really see a problem with CCC members and Crystal herself posting names. Why miss out on the possibility of a really good name one of them may have in mind. For all we know if we stop them from entering names we could miss the name that is meant to be on the sign. In the end the shard will vote on the names and decide the winner of the event. I myself have never entered into one of my events due to the amount of work I have to do to run those events. There is just no way i would be able to compete and run it, but I never stop any other LSN member from entering just because it is our event. I did ask that members of LSN and D helping me on the last scavenger hunt not compete, but that was due to the fact that they helped me come up with the list. Just wouldn't seem fair to let them compete when they know where everything is. So all that being said I don't see why it should mater who puts the names on the board. I also feel that the members of CCC and Crystal should be aloud to vote. After all they play here too and should be able to have a chance to vote on the final name. Maybe if it was just about a prize for picking the best name I would feel different but this is now also about getting a sign that will always be a part of Origin.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK you will have to excuse me.....I am new here and don't understand the politics of the shard.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there are some pretty strong rivalries and maybe even some resentment between certain groups.

Again I am not judging I am just observing.

But to me a community event is open to the entire community. Why would anyone be disallowed to enter a name?

Everyone is asked to submit a name, then everyone will be asked to vote.

What am I missing here???

Also we are all grown adults ( or most of us are) do you think people will vote for a name based on guild references? Really?

The thing I have always loved about community events ( on other shards) is that all the Shard politics normally gets cast aside. People get together and just have fun. Everyone contributes and everyone has a good time.

Again these are just the observations and thoughts of an outsider...looking in for the first time!

B

Baciver of CCC

Just a word. The (Hated) npc's are out again in Brit. I was looking at the name submission so far and was attacked, no biggie, but a mule or newbie character may have a problem.

C

Crystal Canyon

Intoxication,

I would very much appriciate your help in dropping runes, opening gates, or anything else that you or your guildmates could help with. Goodness knows there are alot of you guys! LOL...your group should be able to cover the entire shard in about 10 minetes.

Also, we just had someone give a Million Gold Check to be donated to the Zoo in honor of the winning name. So, that will make the prizes now: One million gold to the winner, One million gold to the Zoo, a Hitching post, and the Grand Prize, a Plaque with the winners name on it posted at the Zoo, for infinity!

Stay tuned folks...we will be right back after a message from our sponsors.:)

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wahoo! LSN helping CCC. It is wonderfull. Are there winds of change in the air? Has a new era of cooperation begun? I am thrilled with the prospect.

D

Dr.Thompson

well crystal im going to have to agree with you on your vote of dr.thompson. i may have to do the same, i hear hes awesome.

but btw since you started this event, i think you should automatically win and no other votes should count :)

C

Crystal Canyon

well crystal im going to have to agree with you on your vote of dr.thompson. i may have to do the same, i hear hes awesome.

but btw since you started this event, i think you should automatically win and no other votes should count :)
LOL...I just love the way you think, Dr. Thompson. :)

C

Crystal Canyon

WooHoo! XMG Guild has now donated another Million for the winner of the Steed Naming Contest!!!! :bowdown:

Thank you Lady Hope, and all of the members of XMG!!!

L

Lord Arcane

he can get away with it now since hes not a reporter anymore :)

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crystal:

Contact me later tonight (after I get off work, i'm always on ICQ if it says away still message) and I'll drop off a check and a statue for the winner, or however you want to divide it up.

C

Crystal Canyon

Crystal:

Contact me later tonight (after I get off work, i'm always on ICQ if it says away still message) and I'll drop off a check and a statue for the winner, or however you want to divide it up.
Sure will Cassie. Thanks so much.

C

Crystal Canyon

did put my silver steed statue at tokono house if any wish to listen to it
NE corner, next to water fall
Thats very nice of you but, what if I go see it and I want it? Are you going to appear and drop on it me? LOL

Seriously, Im going to go see it. Thanks.

M

Michael Wolf

I didn't know anyone wanted to see a Silver Steed statue. My house is the first one you come to going South of the Justice Shrine on Tram. I've had one since the last time we filled the zoo. Thought it was an appropriate award to take for the occasion. Anyway I turned mine on if anyone wants to go check it out. It's amusing for awhile, plays random creature sounds and barks zoo trivia.

C

Crystal Canyon

Wanted to let everyone know that Cassie Darksong of CMA Auction has donated another 1 Million gold, a pair of the Pad of the Cu Sidhe, and...Drumroll....a Bake Kitsune Contribution Statue from the Britannia Royal Zoo to be used as prizes for the "Name the Silver Steed" Contest!

Once we have all the Prizes together I will list all we have and how they will be distibuted.

Alot of names getting posted and great rewards being given out for this, so don't wait too long. Go get your name suggestion on the board!

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i have a few others statues mine also date to about time we ran it up first time!! Plus was 120ing out tamer and kyrin was more fun than bulls!!!!!

I didn't know anyone wanted to see a Silver Steed statue. My house is the first one you come to going South of the Justice Shrine on Tram. I've had one since the last time we filled the zoo. Thought it was an appropriate award to take for the occasion. Anyway I turned mine on if anyone wants to go check it out. It's amusing for awhile, plays random creature sounds and barks zoo trivia.

C

Crystal Canyon

i have a few others statues mine also date to about time we ran it up first time!! Plus was 120ing out tamer and kyrin was more fun than bulls!!!!!
I have a couple of the pixies and the fountain left. They were all received at about that same time frame Im sure.

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wanted to let everyone know that Cassie Darksong of CMA Auction has donated another 1 Million gold, a pair of the Pad of the Cu Sidhe, and...Drumroll....a Bake Kitsune Contribution Statue from the Britannia Royal Zoo to be used as prizes for the "Name the Silver Steed" Contest!

Once we have all the Prizes together I will list all we have and how they will be distibuted.

Alot of names getting posted and great rewards being given out for this, so don't wait too long. Go get your name suggestion on the board!
I just checked the bulletin board ... 21 messages on it. Which made me all of a sudden think .. at 50 messages do the bulletin boards start kicking off the oldest message when a new message posted? I have never seen one with more than 50 messages on it. With the way this one is filling up, I'd hate to see some entries bumped if that's how the boards do work. Anyone know?

M

Michael Wolf

Speaking of Entries, Hey Crystal, is "I love you guys!" your entry or a note to the EM's? If it's not your entry, better get on it.

M

Michael Wolf

I just checked the bulletin board ... 21 messages on it. Which made me all of a sudden think .. at 50 messages do the bulletin boards start kicking off the oldest message when a new message posted? I have never seen one with more than 50 messages on it. With the way this one is filling up, I'd hate to see some entries bumped if that's how the boards do work. Anyone know?
Sara you're right. I just went to the fair grounds and was reading the bulletin board and realized some people were still wondering about the festival. It had 47 messages on it and I decided to write a few messages of history about the grounds. I just went back and checked and you're right, it capped at 50 and the earliest messages were erased. I had added about 8 pages.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It just stops allowing posts once it hit 50, Sara. So they'll just have to watch and make sure another gets up when that one fills up.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sara you're right. I just went to the fair grounds and was reading the bulletin board and realized some people were still wondering about the festival. It had 47 messages on it and I decided to write a few messages of history about the grounds. I just went back and checked and you're right, it capped at 50 and the earliest messages were erased. I had added about 8 pages.
Hmm, when I've done bulletin boards, they always just stopped at 50. Guess I better start paying attention more. :eek:

M

Michael Wolf

might be a good idea to start keeping the entries in a post here in case we do get more than 50. At least they will be recorded and can be entered in the vote. Speeking of vote, if this is going to be done with a balad box, how many choices can be entered in one of those to vote on???

C

Crystal Canyon

Speaking of Entries, Hey Crystal, is "I love you guys!" your entry or a note to the EM's? If it's not your entry, better get on it.
When the Ems put the board up they ask me to write something on it right fast so that they could check to see if it was working properly.

No, it is not my entry, Im not entering the contest.

Because it is not my board, or my house, and I didnt put it up, I don't believe I can erase the message.

Im sure Sara will be watching the board closely and when it gets close to being full it will be changed. ( I hope so anyway...LOL)

Ill try to reach either EM Laurana or EM Faine to let them know.

C

Crystal Canyon

might be a good idea to start keeping the entries in a post here in case we do get more than 50. At least they will be recorded and can be entered in the vote. Speeking of vote, if this is going to be done with a balad box, how many choices can be entered in one of those to vote on???
I will go copy the boards and make a new thread with the entries just in case.

Im not sure how the ballet boxes work, but the Ems are taking care of that part of the contest, thank goodness!

Im sure they will be able to make them work anyway they need to. ( EMs have special powers you know...hehehe) :D

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will go copy the boards and make a new thread with the entries just in case.

Im not sure how the ballet boxes work, but the Ems are taking care of that part of the contest, thank goodness!

Im sure they will be able to make them work anyway they need to. ( EMs have special powers you know...hehehe) :D
Can we some how vote on the top 3. From those 3, pick one honorable mention, a runner up, and a grand prize winner? Or will our EMs choose the top 3 to vote on?

I

Intoxication

the EMs aren't choosing anything. they are just helping us so we can choose in the fairest way.

M

Michael Wolf

I just spoke with EM Faine Morgan and she is going to speak with Crystal about alternative voting methods, since a ballot box won't work for that many choices. The plan still remains that all entries will eligible and voted on by anyone in the game. They just need to figure out the logistics of how to allow for voting on that many choices.

C

Crystal Canyon

I will probably be meeting with Em Faine sometime tomarrow about a new voting method, so if anyone has any suggestions for me to throw on the table please let me know.

I would really appriciate some input on this.

L

Lord Arcane

hey crystal i will put in my personal silver steed statue as a reward to just get ahold of me, i figure it would make good prize for this contest and well wasn't really sure if anyone has given you one for it yet or if you had one so anyways just let me know if you'd like it for a prize