• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Stratics Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Private and Hidden Groups will be given more leeway, and the primary focus will be on things that would possible cause legal repercussions or if was to become available to developers from any studio and could harm a relationship with them.
so like, discussing how to hack into origin and steal account info wouldnt be allowed, but things like cursing/language/trashtalk, warnings against whos the latest scammer, rants about the latest suspected corrupt EM, things like that should be good to go?

since groups take a substantial investment, where can we find out exactly what/isnt allowed? Will it be posted in detail somewhere or in a "user agreement" I think this will be a huge concern for people, because who would want to spend 10 bucks on a group only for it to be deleted or not be what the creator had envisioned it being.

Id also carefully look at botting/scripting, as recently @Mesanna said the use of many of these programs would not be enforced. Perhaps more information from the boss should be required at what will or will not be enforced, what is or is not viewed as "illegal" it seems to change often. Or like you said, just ban all talk of third party programs. You will also have to decide how much "automation" is allowed to be talked about using Enhanced Client. Some view very long macros "as illegal scripting" while its technically not against any rules unless unattended. Just saying, theres lots of grey areas that might come up if someone makes a private "macro" group.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
so like, discussing how to hack into origin and steal account info wouldnt be allowed, but things like cursing/language/trashtalk, warnings against whos the latest scammer, rants about the latest suspected corrupt EM, things like that should be good to go?
I won't say they are good, but I will say they will be judged on a case by case basis, and only if they were in private or hidden groups which require a user be invited to. If someone wanted to make a group for listing known scammers, they could, as long as the group was private, and they only disclosed the people on that lists, Stratics Name, as that information is freely available to any member of the site via our Members list. Adding information such as E-mail address, ICQ, or other contact information for that individual wouldn't be allowed.

since groups take a substantial investment, where can we find out exactly what/isnt allowed? Will it be posted in detail somewhere or in a "user agreement" I think this will be a huge concern for people, because who would want to spend 10 bucks on a group only for it to be deleted or not be what the creator had envisioned it being.
As I said I'll be working with group owners to help them keep their groups, I'll get with the owner and we'll nail down a hard list of things as a general guideline and I'll get it posted somewhere and make an announcement to the community

Id also carefully look at botting/scripting, as recently @Mesanna said the use of many of these programs would not be enforced. Perhaps more information from the boss should be required at what will or will not be enforced, what is or is not viewed as "illegal" it seems to change often. Or like you said, just ban all talk of third party programs. You will also have to decide how much "automation" is allowed to be talked about using Enhanced Client. Some view very long macros "as illegal scripting" while its technically not against any rules unless unattended. Just saying, theres lots of grey areas that might come up if someone makes a private "macro" group.
Unfortunately, this is going to have to be handled on a game by game basis, there are different rules for different games and various levels of automation allowable in them. As this applies to UO, since the list of approved programs is no longer available from EA's website and I haven't been able to find one on UO or Broadswords site, until we receive a list or notification of what they are willing to allow and what they are not, that we can publish and keep updated, we're going by the most recent listing that was available. We've requested an update on this, but as of yet received no new information.

Third party programs aren't going to be a taboo for conversation, just those programs we have no official notification of being allowed in game. Please keep in mind that "unenforced" does not equate to allowed the same way that "decriminalized" doesn't necessarily make something legal.

Val'lyn De'ana

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm not sure why so many posters are up in arms about posting pics. Go open a photobucket account, upload your images there (FREE). Grab the link for the image and make your post. Easy peasy.

I guess the only question I have is with avatar and signature images. Those typically are uploads...will we need to spend trinkets to have those?

-Val'lyn

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I won't say they are good, but I will say they will be judged on a case by case basis, and only if they were in private or hidden groups which require a user be invited to. If someone wanted to make a group for listing known scammers, they could, as long as the group was private, and they only disclosed the people on that lists, Stratics Name, as that information is freely available to any member of the site via our Members list. Adding information such as E-mail address, ICQ, or other contact information for that individual wouldn't be allowed.
wouldnt any public information posted on a profile be allowed?

i do suppose just the stratics name would be enough, as people can find out other info usually for themselves.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure why so many posters are up in arms about posting pics. Go open a photobucket account, upload your images there (FREE). Grab the link for the image and make your post. Easy peasy.

I guess the only question I have is with avatar and signature images. Those typically are uploads...will we need to spend trinkets to have those?

-Val'lyn
its basically just a hassel. no one likes when you have to pay for something that you have gotten for free before. Especially in the trade forums, some people will upload 20 to 30 pics at a time. its very time consuming to add in that extra step for each and every image from a hosting site. So its understandable.

That being said, this will probably only effect a very small minority of posters who are used to posting lots of pics but dont really use the forums other for selling loot.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
wouldnt any public information posted on a profile be allowed?

i do suppose just the stratics name would be enough, as people can find out other info usually for themselves.
True, though having it in a profile and spreading it around the forums are two different things.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nexus, can you give us any update on when we should expect to see these forums become unavailable/frozen and we will move over to the new forum?

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

At present we don't have a separate ROC for user groups versus official Stratics groups. There have been some minor changes to the ROC and in general, we are trying to loosen things up a bit and rely on the community to help self-moderate. What the ROC says is, "Administrators of Community managed groups are responsible for maintaining these standards within their Social Group." We understand that interaction is much different among friends, guilds, or other groups, so we allow for the group owner (and the owner assigned administrators/moderators) to interpret and enforce the ROC within the context of that group. What is generally offensive, may not be as offensive in a small circle. Group owners also have the ability to control who can see and join their groups, so they can ensure that the right conversations are happening among the right people (i.e., you may want to make the group private or hidden if your guild talks a lot of trash). Stratics would step in when there are complaints about the group from the community. When issues come up, we will work with group owner to correct the mistakes. Of course, the egregious cases mentioned before (e.g., illegal acts or acts harmful to the website) would be dealt with swiftly and without remorse!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will there eventually be a way to buy trinkets without going anywhere near Paypal?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Will there eventually be a way to buy trinkets without going anywhere near Paypal?
Nexus said that if you go to the Paypal site, you don't have to join, but can still use a credit card. At the present time that is the only other option.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Perhaps, but other options are not as well known and we are trying to avoid the security risk of storing personal information on our website. I'll look into other reputable vendors, but don't have any identified that will easily work with our system at present. Thanks for the feedback though, it does seem there are some that would prefer another option. I would also appreciate if you sent me a PM with some additional feedback on what features you are looking for a in a payment gateway and what concerns you about Paypal.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One required feature, no association with Paypal.

Pick any cash transfer ecard or such that I can buy via a preferably major internet retail store and can email the number to you to deposit in your bank if you don't want to store cc info.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just can't see where all this is headed. On the one hand Stratics wants to be more professional, profitable, more community-oriented. On the other hand all that went way down since new management. We all got a slight impression when forums went down for about a full week, when just migrating to a new server. The last update under Taylor brought us a modern bulletin board, the next will give us a crippled understaffed board.

Right now we have that developer feed, with all developer post. Reply from Nexus on new forum: Go check every Dev's profile if in doubt.
We get UO.com announcement directly streamed into UHall. What I read this is also no longer available too?!

On the other hand we got WoW forums and the like nobody uses. Of course they not gonna go away but be the heart of new stratics.

My question whether they designed the new site for mobiles got unanswered. But don't worry Nexus, I guess that's a "doh, we didn't thought of it". I guess the kids playing the new MMOs out there are a bit more progressive as us UO players in general.

Tina's question about when the transition will be made also yielded no reply. Maybe another "We don't know either".

Also, old forum is still up for couple days now, maybe you can consider making another sync before migrating?

I still also miss any public debate, why players of SotA, Shards or WoW would now all come to stratics? Just because it got a new layout (again)? Because they ever wanted on the same forum with UO old goats? Maybe Ron Bron can elaborate on why the new owner thinks this is going to happen. Will there be large advertisment campaigns? Or is it just wishful thinking and all?

Also, isn't Stratics just the main UO forum because Devs post here? If Devs didnt post here, there would be no real reason to not post on other uoforums or the like.

Will you get Devs of other games on board? I doubt it. Guess it will rather alienate the UO devs.

Go on alienating your fellow UO members and you can shut it down in a year.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I just can't see where all this is headed. On the one hand Stratics wants to be more professional, profitable, more community-oriented. On the other hand all that went way down since new management. We all got a slight impression when forums went down for about a full week, when just migrating to a new server. The last update under Taylor brought us a modern bulletin board, the next will give us a crippled understaffed board.

Right now we have that developer feed, with all developer post. Reply from Nexus on new forum: Go check every Dev's profile if in doubt.
We get UO.com announcement directly streamed into UHall. What I read this is also no longer available too?!

On the other hand we got WoW forums and the like nobody uses. Of course they not gonna go away but be the heart of new stratics.

My question whether they designed the new site for mobiles got unanswered. But don't worry Nexus, I guess that's a "doh, we didn't thought of it". I guess the kids playing the new MMOs out there are a bit more progressive as us UO players in general.

Tina's question about when the transition will be made also yielded no reply. Maybe another "We don't know either".

Also, old forum is still up for couple days now, maybe you can consider making another sync before migrating?

I still also miss any public debate, why players of SotA, Shards or WoW would now all come to stratics? Just because it got a new layout (again)? Because they ever wanted on the same forum with UO old goats? Maybe Ron Bron can elaborate on why the new owner thinks this is going to happen. Will there be large advertisment campaigns? Or is it just wishful thinking and all?

Also, isn't Stratics just the main UO forum because Devs post here? If Devs didnt post here, there would be no real reason to not post on other uoforums or the like.

Will you get Devs of other games on board? I doubt it. Guess it will rather alienate the UO devs.

Go on alienating your fellow UO members and you can shut it down in a year.
There wasn't really much we could do about the last migration, @Ron Bron had to get the site onto his own server, and the way the databases were handed to us increased the down time immensely (they were broken into chunks), plus not only that but we are using multiple database formats due to various phases in the sites evolution, for some of that content it provided unique challenges.

Feeds from sites like the one from UO.com will be there, they just won't be automatically made into posts, they'll go into a groups activity stream, you can still comment and discuss them like before and as long as they stay relevant and active they will stay near the top of that stream.

I can't answer honestly and completely about mobile browsing, at least not yet, right now the new site doesn't have everything in done yet that would be needed for me to really test it and give you an honest answer. I can tell you tapatalk will work, but we won't be doing the full optimization until after we get all the forum data moved in preparation for our launch, so it's impossible for me give you an honest reply as to how it will run on mobile until then. I know you can browse it on mobile devices as it is right now, it's a matter of how well that I can't determine until everything has been optimized.

No there wouldn't be a reason to go to another site, well other than no other single site has the collection of guides, articles, tools, and other information sitting in one place. That is just as much a part of why we have been their unofficial "official" forums, and have built the relationship with them in the past that we have. Not simply because the Dev's post here. Simply because no one else offers the extent of things we do, and have been willing to work with them at the level we do.

We already have Devs from other games posting here, and we do have relationships with other developers. We're not trying to alienate anyone, if you want to be quite honest, we're trying to do the opposite, we're trying to open Stratics up to more than just UO. While UO is and has been the backbone of Stratics, and we all still love UO, it's also become a very ridgid relationship. We've had staff denied access at conventions because they were reporting for "Just some UO Site", we're not taken seriously by many of the larger studios out there, which limits what we can do for, you guys, for the site, and for our own personal enjoyment. None of the staff is getting paid we all do this because we enjoy doing it. Part of why we're moving everything to under the Stratics.com label is so we can regain the mobility necessary to grow the site, bring new features and new community members.

All of us on love and respect UO, we plan to keep supporting it, but we're also going to work to build other communities, on Stratics that hopefully we can support just as much, and we are providing ways to keep those communities relatively isolated at an individual users discretion. That's a big difference between saying that we're making another title our focus on the site, no one has said that, what I have and others have said, is we're going to actively work at growing other areas as well. We're not talking about moving a bunch of our staff off of work on UO, we're looking at seeing where the interest is and allowing the community with that interest help us build these new areas.

Every organization reaches a tipping point, a place where they've reached a size to where overhead increases dramatically, and where they are still too small to have the leverage necessary to have people scrambling to work with them. That's the point Stratics is at and has been at for years, and just like those organizations our choices are limited, we can evolve and grow so we become more attractive, we could cut a lot of stuff out, shrink and decrease overhead, or we try to hold on where we are and the odds say we'd slowly decay and close. It's a gamble no matter how you look at it's but one that has to be taken.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The fact that things change, is the only thing that never changes.
The thing I hate most with changes is, I know what I have, I don't know what I get and I don't know if I will like what I get.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The thing I hate most with changes is, I know what I have, I don't know what I get and I don't know if I will like what I get.
I understand that and it's a completely normal way to feel about it.

All we can ask is give the new site a chance, see how it rolls out.

Btw. I do have some good news for you, we've got the issue with sub-forums for community groups situated. For people who had them before on these forums we'll be able to set them up the same way there without issue.

For new groups that get made, we'll be handling sub-forums on a request by request basis and looking at an additional Cog (We're changing the name Trinket to go with the Site better) charge for each of them as addons, not a lot I think 50 which equates to $1 if you purchased them. What this will do is let people who want to set up guild forums with various subforums that they control do so, and pay a one time setup charge (in cogs which you can earn various ways) instead of having to through some of the paid hosting, or even if they did some of the free guild hosting solutions, they'll not have to jump back and forth between sites when they want to access different things.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Nexus, can you give us any update on when we should expect to see these forums become unavailable/frozen and we will move over to the new forum?
We're going to leave these open for a week after we have the new site up. This is to give time for the majority of people make the transition. As soon as you see the announcement the new site is live count on 1 week from that date.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Btw. I do have some good news for you, we've got the issue with sub-forums for community groups situated. For people who had them before on these forums we'll be able to set them up the same way there without issue.
Cool, that for sure make me feel a lot better :heart:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Cool, that for sure make me feel a lot better :heart:
Makes me feel better too, I asked the boss to get on that once a few of us staff got access to the new site to give some feedback on what we need to work on. We hoped but were not sure we could get a fix for this in place by launch so didn't want to promise anything as we were going to have to go through a 3rd party to make this happen.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Nexus will all the threads I have currently subscribed to be lost when you move over to the new system? I mean not the actual threads lost but the fact I am subscribed to them. I have many saved that I refer to when needed. The reforging one and many in the crafter section and things like that.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
@Nexus will all the threads I have currently subscribed to be lost when you move over to the new system? I mean not the actual threads lost but the fact I am subscribed to them. I have many saved that I refer to when needed. The reforging one and many in the crafter section and things like that.
Most likely yes unfortunately, you would have to rebookmark them.

Blind Tom the Pirate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

It'll be around I'm getting with folks as we get things going to get them setup properly.
Question? How can I get listed as a "Moderator" for the United Pirates Forum page; since I am now the person who handles that? Thank you Nexus for your valued assistance.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Question? How can I get listed as a "Moderator" for the United Pirates Forum page; since I am now the person who handles that? Thank you Nexus for your valued assistance.
As you are the owner, you are also the moderator, you can add member if you go to the fane Members, you can also deside who is normal member and who is moderators. I made my guild/ town leaders to moderators as that gave me a leader wall.
There is an icon for setting in right side below the logo, where you can add logo, avatat and banner.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On February 27th, I asked, "Do you guys have any dates for when we will actually see the new website that will replace the uo2.stratics.com website and the Stratics forums?" (https://stratics.com/community/threads/new-stratics-q-a.334903/#post-2515084)

That same day, Nexus replied, "Hopefully near the beginning of next week." (https://stratics.com/community/threads/new-stratics-q-a.334903/#post-2515147)

It's now ten days later. Can someone from Stratics give us any kind of update as to when we will see the new website that replaces uo2.stratics.com and the Stratics forums? Is there anything that any of us who are not on the Stratics staff can do to help speed up the process?

With no definite conversion date available, I feel like these forums are quickly becoming a ghost town because it's been stated or at least implied that everything that's been posted in the forums since the conversion was announced is eventually going to be permanently lost. Maybe it will be good to see some of the bickering that's gone on be flushed down the drain, so to speak, but there are probably at least a few threads or posts that might be worth saving but apparently won't be. And, as with everything else in UO these last few days, extended periods of silence and/or evasiveness never make anyone feel very good about the time or money they spend on UO or anything related to it.

If there is anything we can do to help, please speak up and let us know. Do you guys need donations of money? People to review content that's in the new format? What can we do to help with this other than wondering and worrying that there's more going on than we are being told and that it isn't anything good?

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hi Tina.
We will have a full update in the next few days about what is happening to Stratics, all content, and long term plans.

Its been a crazy time for everyone. Thanks for everyone's continues patience!

*edit*

I will tell you... NOTHING will be lost.
Matter of fact, A LOT is being gained!
Here's a tiny sample: http://uo2.stratics.com/team

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Tina.
We will have a full update in the next few days about what is happening to Stratics, all content, and long term plans.

So what i post today will be saved?

its just frustrating. ive been updating / adding to my rares post here on UOforums:
http://www.uoforums.com/topic/55428-rares-for-sale-updated-31-with-new-items/
because we were originally told that everything since tuesday, the 24rth of feb would be lost.
if this is not the case, i could have used and updated stratics since then.

Ive also not wanted to post any long running auctions or in depth picture / suit descriptions because we were told nothing would be saved.

again, its just very frustrating to be told one thing and then be left hanging in limbo.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So what i post today will be saved?

its just frustrating. ive been updating / adding to my rares post here on UOforums:
http://www.uoforums.com/topic/55428-rares-for-sale-updated-31-with-new-items/
because we were originally told that everything since tuesday, the 24rth of feb would be lost.
if this is not the case, i could have used and updated stratics since then.

Ive also not wanted to post any long running auctions or in depth picture / suit descriptions because we were told nothing would be saved.

again, its just very frustrating to be told one thing and then be left hanging in limbo.
Nope, nothing is being lost including posts you make today.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Tina.

Its been a crazy time for everyone. Thanks for everyone's continues patience!

*edit*

Thanks for the update. What criteria was used to determine who showed up on those lists?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
When you make lists, it's easy to forget some, but also easy to update the list. :grouphug: the lost ones, we, the posters here, know you belong on the list :heart:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lovely. I guess I and my two guildmates who were on the staff didn't make the cut.
maybe it wasnt a "housecleaned" list then, unless you scammed someone? pissed off petra? now im interested and want the dirt. or maybe like Freja said your time as a dedicated staff member just slipped through the cracks. worth an email id say :)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Noone slipped through the cracks...Kirthag is going through EVERY database, every site, everything to make sure every staff member that worked in some form or another on Stratics goes on that list.

She's been up for like...3 days because of issues with her house and is now taking a much needed nap :) So don't worry..and don't start guessing/insinuating about why some staff was left off....because she's not NEARLY done with that list, trust me.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe it wasnt a "housecleaned" list then, unless you scammed someone? pissed off petra? now im interested and want the dirt. or maybe like Freja said your time as a dedicated staff member just slipped through the cracks. worth an email id say :)
I was only a content editor for a few months before I voluntarily resigned, which is why I asked what the criteria was. My time spent on the staff may have been far too short to have counted for anything. However, two of my guildmates were moderators for quite some time and for more than one forum as well. Would really hate to see their contributions go unrecognized.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I should be on that list somewhere....:p And I found it.

god that was ages ago.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks for the update. What criteria was used to determine who showed up on those lists?
I am still combing through old Stratics files and that list will be updated as stated on the page there. We've got files going back to 1998... so it takes some time to go through, compare, and add to the page. I'm good, not superhuman. :D

Oh, the actual criteria - having been listed on the Stratics staffer pages, that's all. Now how often the staffer pages were updated is not something anyone knows. And I am working off of backed up archives - so if a person was on staff, but his/her name doesn't appear, just drop me an email or PM.

I attempt to list a staffer once. So if someone started out as a Reporter, they are listed as Staff. If they got "promoted" to a Manager, they will be on the Past Administration page.

I will not add titles anywhere to the Past Staff pages as some ppl held many positions.

Now, since I am starting from the earliest archives I can find, I still might be missing people from the earliest days. I can only work with what I have. So far, I think I got to the Y2k pages. Still a long way to go!

We've had requests from some people to be removed from the Past Staff and Past Administration lists. We will honor those requests without question. If someone doesn't want to be listed, they can just PM or send an email.

Last edited:

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Closing and locking this thread as Stratics is not moving so most of this is moot.

I'm sure when the new site is ready, @Ron Bron or a member of the team will post the news. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.