• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New/Returning players

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi everyone!

There seems to be an influx of new and returning players lately...at least a bunch of new-to-me faces.

I'd like to try to do some brainstorming on how we can welcome new/returning players and draw them into the RP community.

I know some of the non-RP groups have players that want to try RP, we need to include them too.

Jaden's Haven dinners are an awesome start to gathering new players since everyone starts there, but there must be more that we, as a group can do.

The weekly tavern nights are also a good start, but often the new-ish players don't know about them, and they might feel overwhelmed by something like that if they are unsure of their RP skills.

I know I haven't been playing much, frankly, I have no idea where to find anyone anymore. And the thought of asking on RP chat, then going there from an RP standpoint doesn't make sense to me...

So, if I'm frustrated as an old player, how do the new players feel?

Maybe as a group we can start figuring out how to include some of these new/returning players.

So...let's brainstorm!

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best way to invite/include newish players is frankly some of the things we have all been doing. The fairs, events, tavern nights and such. From an RP standpoint keep in mind, these are supposed to be things which have been posted on boards and buildings in towns across the lands. Frankly one of the best ways to encourage interaction and make it easily find-able is to try to bring some of the towns back to life. The Rangers were doing this for a bit in Skara, and still are really with their Archery tournaments. Trinsic has their Tavern Night in the city. But what might be nice would be to hold rotating RP nights in the different towns and cities. One Night each week choose one of the towns and just be there to RP or meet with folks. I know that Trinsic and Brit are very large, but this can be done there as well by say confining it to one side of the city. Some Years back PGoH held a traveling fair or market place. Like the RP nights, this moved to the different towns and player run towns to attract business and RP. With our involved PEC's and EM's these things would be a lot easier to hold and can be well advertised in advance.

We are the best advertisement for the community, but we have to be visible for others to find us and take interest.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
This is why I started the Haven Dinner nights, but once a month is even a li bit of a task to prepare for one person, in the beginning I had saw similar thing done on Atlantic on a weekly basis, so I brought it to Catskills, I had hoped it would spread into governors somewhat linking to the idea and Id be more then welcome to do these on a rotation linking the evening I do it to another city. However its tough when I don't know all the people very well. I chose the second Tuesday of the month (and Tuesdays seemed to be the least active day) since I have had requests for a possible day or evening of the weekend once in awhile. I think there could be growth if we are willing to help new players, and Haven seems to be where most start is why I chose to base this around Haven. I would love to be part of anything that people are willing to do , or help in any way I can. If anyone wants to contact me, message and I wil give you my icq #

Last edited:

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since it's my play-style of choice, I can only answer this as a role-player.

All in all, I think Catskills already does a good job organizing weekly events. Most weeks offer at least a few events, sometimes there's multiple options in a night. It's great.

With respect to the RP community, I think the biggest problem is a lack of actual RP guilds. There's a lot of nostalgia in UO, and our fond memories of the old days usually involve being part of an RP guild and doing **** with our guild and others. The non-RP community does a much better job than we do with this. We don't offer many options, and as a consequence there's very little conflict (PVP or otherwise) driving stories or characters. This leads to a lot of sitting around and chatting, which is probably a turn off for those looking to get involved. Catskills seem to lose a fair percentage of returning RPers, newly-interested RPers, and RPers from other shards due to boredom. I can count quite a few that returned in the past year and are already gone. I don't intend this as a slight against anyone either, I know we're all trying. The Rangers/RP1 discuss this specific issue a lot. And obviously this isn't the ONLY problem UO or the RP community has either.

But it's much easier to feel a part of a guild before feeling part of a larger community, and the former is a nice transition to the latter.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with you Judas. It is always good to first be part of a guild or group. This not only gives a sort of safe feeling place to RP or interact while allowing you to dip your toes into the larger community. The RP community is defiantly a lot smaller than it was in the past. But that does not mean that things cannot be done on a larger scale as evidenced in out calendar of events and Tavern Nights. There are a lot of old things that can be kicked back into gear, but it takes a willingness to roll up your sleeves and get involved. I know, pot meet kettle. But I do know that my involvement with things in UO is slight, and mostly geared towards attending RP events to show support fr the work of others. I do enjoy following the story lines of Rangers/RP1.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Looking in from the outside and not knowing anything about storylines or what all the memories ever were , I find it difficult to just jump in and get involved. So far , other then the EM storyline I haven't seen much of any storys.I did see a quite cute event involving a Ferret and a cute Lil Gypsy that I felt was very nice. Other then that and the events, I haven't actually seen no story lines except those Aeodan posts on stratic's which btw, I do read ( very nice writing might I add) not easy to jump right in when I have no idea what I am doing. I am not here to say anyone is not doing their best, I am sure that all the role players do get discouraged from the decline in the population of the game. Not knowing how to just jump into this also makes it hard to get to know anyone, I do try to speak in chat when I am on my characters and possibly some just flat don't like me , which is ok too. Possibly some are even skeptical of new comers which I can totally understand to, but until everyone lets their guard down for just a moment you will never know what would happen. Events lately have been great , LOVE THEM. Yes even though you may not have seen Myself As Jaden Rain there, I have been there. I have been asked to join Lady Dramora in Guardians of Virtue and hopefully it will be a lil easier to get more so involved. Hope to see you all in game. I could be anyone........

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Is it Public? Because I ddnt really see any public storylines, or perhaps I am not looking hard enough, and I have looked on that link in fact on both

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Rangers boards are pretty much public. The Moonglow one is all but their private guild forums.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jaden, joining GV is a good place to get your feet wet. Being in a guild has long been one of the best ways to hop into RP. If I might also suggest, if you have an alt or two place one in RP1 and one in Moonglow, Not only will this expand your options for RP, but will also give you a friendly pool to dip your toes into. I am always open for interaction when I am in game. I just do not play as often as I once did
due to commitments elsewhere. Keep holding your events, they are fun.

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so...the events we have been having are really wonderful. But if the new players/returning players don't know about them, it doesn't solve the problem.

Also, let's put ourselves into the new player mind.

You join a game (or re-join) hoping to role play, you log in, and maybe you know about the RP chat. So you join that, and perhaps you are too shy to actually say anything, so you just "listen". We have to make sure we make the RP chat welcoming to new players, that we let the RP'ers know where things are happening on that day, just in case you have someone new/returning listening and not saying anything. And yes...sometimes the RP chat is not the most welcoming of places!

So, maybe this new player doesn't know about Stratics, but maybe they do. If you log into Stratics and just look around, it certainly appears that there are no RP things happening.

The only stories lately are Aedon and Izznet's. No offense, but those are clearly not in game stories.

So the new/returning player thinks RP is dead and moves on to a different game or shard.

I understand that the Rangers have their own forum, as does Moonglow. I just had a message board created on the Catskills RP community myself for my GV. However, the separate boards don't help. New/returning players most likely don't know where those are, and even if you post the links several times on the Stratics board, we need to make it easy for the players to actually find us. So, if stories get posted on ALL the forums that would help. I know it's more work for those doing story lines, but we want new players, right?

Maybe we can get each Governor to actually use the town message boards. I did use it once, and then gave up because all of the information was completely out of date.

So, again, let's brainstorm on how to try to fix the problem. I want people to stay, not give up in frustration.

Lord Bytor

Slightly Crazed
Reporter
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe we can get each Governor to actually use the town message boards. I did use it once, and then gave up because all of the information was completely out of date.
Well the Vesper info is on going on the boards and up to date per say. I have requested and told that the request was granted but .... but we need to wait for Dev to become free and post the New Second Boards in town that are for Town Specific for info. So the Citizens of that Town can use the that board for game, RP, guild, buy & trade etc. I hope one day soon (crosses fingers) now that Pub 95 is almost out we can wake up and have the New Boards in Towns.

I post ALL the info and scheduling from here on our Catskills Facebook page, in hopes that it reaches more people : UO Catskills | Facebook

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it Public? Because I ddnt really see any public storylines, or perhaps I am not looking hard enough, and I have looked on that link in fact on both
Check our News & Events sections (second forum form the top) for a schedule of our events. The description usually hints at what they're about. We often post recaps for story line related ones. We usually meet in a public place so it's fairly easy for someone to come along and get involved and learn things as their character would.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using the message boards in the towns would be a great idea. But always the best ad for the community is in game interaction. My most recent story does play out some in game, but Dramora is correct in that it is a story, and not an in game plot line. Bur for me and others, telling stories is an important part of RP. There are simply some parts of plots or stories that do not lend themselves to in game interaction. The parts on the ship are mostly played out between my wife, my son and myself. Neither of them really log into the game these days much to my dismay. I know this lack of interaction in game makes it difficult for Izzy to play off things, but for that she has ugg Hairy.

Our calendar of events on stratics is kept up to date and information from this is transferred over to both the Rangers and Moonglow boards. Perhaps we need to be sure that those that do not know of the forums find them.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and so folks know, my story was originally supposed to be a minor plotline within Aegis, but right off the bat after offing Aedon I lost 3 of the main people and had to look for a way to pivot and retell the tale. A story line is in no way a plotline though. A plotline should be inclusive and spread, where a story tells a tale and has an ending. My story has a definite end, and at this time I am mostly working through to a conclusion agreed on by the players of Figol and Nemira.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I myself will go read but I do get lazy on that sometimes (keep in mind a lot people do not read instructions for anything *especially men* just a joke there guys) and this game itself is not the easiest to get into, its so much easier to just go play a simplier game so with that in mind it is something within game that could use some refresh either by players being more open with each other (in Game) or the message boards at banks, the boards are great but so many just don't take the time to do that much work to find the info . Its not that hard once you figure out where to go but still you are dealing with the factor its easier to just go play a game that doesn't require effort to play. Yes one should do the leg work to figure UO out but there is so much to offer out there and UO is just work to some. By having the upper hand in game already with us having built chars and knowing where to get info makes us somewhat the stepping stone into the game itself

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some years back the guilds used to hold new player nights in Haven. They would set up tables and have reps from the guilds show up to meet and greed folks, hand out starter armor and books and in general help to guide folks to any help they might need. The RP guilds managed to do this while staying in character, and some of the non RP guilds even enjoyed "playing their part" at the events. I know it is harder now to do such a thing seeing that we do not have the incoming swell of new players UO once enjoyed. But what about picking a building or spot in Haven and asking that it be set up as a general welcome center where we can again go and make the community presence known? For those that may not see the boards, books (leaflets) can be dropped directing new folks to the resources they may need. Perhaps stage a play in Haven or another town featuring the Dragon and Llama company telling the tale of a stranger to a new land that finds welcome?

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with a play is that none of the stages are accessible. None of the ones in Brit are, and the only reason we could use the stage at the fairgrounds was because PEC Raine was kind enough to place a teleporter for our use. Unfortunately he isn't able to make it permanent, so any time we want to do any play we have to ask for stage access.

Perhaps we can have a roving semi-weekly (weekly/monthly, whatever works for everyone) meeting place within the various cities. I know it would be really fun to have the cities actually used, and the current Governors could involve their cities. I know Jaden was talking about having her dinners roving, but I really feel it's important to have an event in Haven because that's where newcomers start.

Aedon, it would be wonderful to have a new comer area within Haven with information about where to find groups. Any idea who we might talk to to see what we can get permanently in place in Haven?

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
In Haven on Atlantic I also noticed the House out by the skellys is public and used by training players , yet in Catskills is it private, also those tables set up for Guilds behind the bank...not sure what they were for as that was before I came back but from how they read it sounded like a great place to post about guilds available on Catskills

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would think a talk with our EM might do the trick, Or perhaps bring it up to the king at the next meeting Dramora. Perhaps we can even have an accessible stage there?

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The stage there is adorable and it would be a great place to have plays,, Oh and I just checked it is accessible

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(Perhaps we can have a roving semi-weekly (weekly/monthly, whatever works for everyone) meeting place within the various cities. I know it would be really fun to have the cities actually used, and the current Governors could involve their cities. I know Jaden was talking about having her dinners roving, but I really feel it's important to have an event in Haven because that's where newcomers start.))

I like this idea Dramora.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catskills like many shards suffers from a lack of people in general. This does limit our options in some ways but it's not an obstacle that cannot be overcome. It's important to temper our approach with this understanding so we can produce quality events. Regarding the roving meetings I must say, respectfully but honestly, I do not foresee that lasting for very long. I could be wrong of course. Personally I have a limit on how much "sit-and-chat" style activities I can do (this includes tavern sitting) without more substantial activities like actual gameplay or more involved roleplay to supplement it, and I think that principle applies to many other players. To avoid being too verbose I'll skip the anecdotes but I have observed similar situations in the past which is why I say this.

When it comes to providing a path for new or returning players, I believe half the battle is making sure information about the community is readily available. Probably the best way to do this is through the forums. Maybe an FAQ maintained on a regular basis could help resolve that. Something that contains links to various RP websites and perhaps the Catskills facebook page and the UOEM page. It could also contain a list of active guilds - by active I mean a guild that is pursuing expansion and organization, and isn't simply a utility guild, a vanity guild, or a legacy guild. That way new players could see what's going on, and what groups they can check out to find actual activity. The other half of the battle is making sure the post is up to date - inactive sites and guilds cleared off, new ones added as time progresses. Getting them informed will make it easier for them to find other players.

Beyond that, new / returning players have to be engaged. There will always be tourists who won't stick around one way or another but those that do have potential for staying will only do so if they can make friends and have fun interactions and adventures. That only happens when we generate activity.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I visit New Haven now on a regular basis, partly because I keep ships there for the activitys and dinners I plan for there, but now that I have started this I go there just to see if there are new players. Tuesday when I was preparing for the event I must have seen at least 6 new players run through, I don't always have the time to run after them to chat or see if they need any help but I do try to. I help them when I can or direct them to the guild they look for. Now there are a few others that help with the Haven event that also go check to see if they can help new players, no its not a flood of them but more all the time. With Winter coming it usually always brought more activity to the game so good chance we will see several new or returning players, I have a house in Luna I stash a lot of armor I get from the Wednesday night net toss to give out to new players to help them get started, its nothing great but its better then nothing. I'm more then happy to friend Dramora or some of you to be able to access the stuff at the house if anyone runs into new players, just let me know.

Pip

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have to say I think Deraj has kind of hit the nail on the head here.

I am speaking from the perspective of an RPer who has been roleplaying on Catskills for well over a decade without any lapses in my accounts. I say this only so that you can understand that when I say I see a pattern in the RP community, I mean one that spans quite a long period of time. I doubt I'm the only one who's noticed it.

People attend tavern nights and other sit-and-chat events, and that's a great start, but without "heavier" RP opportunities available, people inevitably show up less and less and stop logging in. This is because RPers, ultimately, are out to play a role. The best way to get them to stick around is to facilitate that by having immersive RP going on around them. Giving them opportunities for their character to jump into the action. Giving them opportunities to find their characters' purpose.

Think about your favourite stories -- your favourite books, movies, TV shows. I know a lot of y'all are giant nerds for Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead. Think about what you enjoy about these things. It's the conflict, the intrigue, the compelling plots, the characters that do great things and endure hardships and come out on the other side changed, for better or worse. This feeling, I think, is what RPers want to emulate with their RP. This feeling is what makes them stay. This feeling is the thing we get nostalgic about years later.

It's not the easiest answer, but I believe it is the truth: much of this falls not to a community-wide effort, as in general Catskills is pretty good in the way of introductory events. Rather, it falls to individual GMs, leaders, and creative players to come up with plotlines or to create some form of in-character conflict or other compelling incentives for people to play their roles. I've seen it a hundred times that someone is added to a guild where nothing happens or no direction is provided, and eventually, they get bored and disappear. This, I believe, is the single biggest reason that we lose so many returning players and shard transfers. Essentially, we need more "Dungeon Masters", to borrow a tabletop term.

Or that's my take on it, anyway.

And I don't say this as a backseat driver, either. I have been brainstorming behind the scenes with a couple people on some things that are slowly unfolding. I've also heard of some ideas with good potential from other folks, and I guess all I can say is that if you have an idea, try it out! We always need more ideas actually played out. What good are they doing if they're only floating around in your head?

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
There is a sticky thread at the top to list guilds of Catskills, very few are utilizing that thread , maybe we need to encourage that also

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I want to see Catskills populated by play-styles of all kinds, I think one thing to keep in mind is that something that might attract the generic new or returning player might not attract a new or returning role-player. Different play-styles have different needs, so it's important to keep event ideas and other proposals tailored to the audience in mind.

Pip

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Another harsh truth I think we need to face here: pretty much everyone in this game is a UO veteran in some fashion.

I couldn't tell you the last time I encountered a player who was genuinely new to the game. I've seen people claim it, but it often turns out they're returning players or transfers trying to stay on the down-low for whatever reason and craft a new OOC identity. Anyone I knew who started more recently than most did so because they had friends who played already. I would also honestly wager a majority of those newbie characters in Haven who quickly run off are gold sellers and traders doing whatever they do, or people making placeholder alts. I am one of those newbie characters sometimes, because I want to create a character with 50 skill to soulstone off, or I'm making an NPC for an RP event. Sure, returning players need a hand and some pointers in the right direction, and transfers from other shards need the same. But sadly I don't think we have to worry too much anymore about brand new players who are totally lost.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
With most of my focus in Haven I try to keep that a open idea place to point players in directions they are looking for. So the idea is for someone from all the play styles or group leader to be present to meet them. I know you feel there are no new players and yes most I meet on Catskills are returning players or Transfers, but if they need help , help should be provided for the benefit of the Shard as a WHOLE and not to aim it towards any one play style. I will admit I also sometimes play Atlantic and have built charcters on Atlantic, there yes I have seen NEW PLAYERS completely new to the game and lost in what to do, because this game is so complex. You are right On Catskills tho I haven't really seen the New Players but if we don't offer any thing to help them they for sure will not come. Also if we don't let out guard down as to being skeptical on them it isn't going to help us either.
I do agree with Judas on the event being aimed towards a play style but with so few to actually play with it might be more something to aim at a larger audience as to attract more interest in your particular play style. Yet still have the specific event just for RP also. Its only going to change if we try to make it change.

Pip

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The topic of this thread was how to get RPers to stay. This is why we are discussing the RP playstyle and how to draw people whose interest is in RP. It's not a "**** you" to other playstyles, but this is the playstyle the thread was discussing catering to.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I have got the coldest response in my attempts to try and join RP ...jus sayn and so has everyone I have pointed in your direction they come back to tell me

Pip

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think you're misunderstanding my point. Dramora posed the question of how to draw and promote roleplay in specific and this is what I have given my thoughts on in order to stay relevant to the question at hand. I am not suggesting to exclude anyone, but if the goal is to attract people with a specific interest, that interest needs to be catered to.

Pip

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have got the coldest response in my attempts to try and join RP ...jus sayn and so has everyone I have pointed in your direction they come back to tell me
I'm unsure if this is meant as a more general "you" or me in particular, but I don't know of anyone who was pointed at me in particular. I myself am at nearly every RP and EM event and open to interaction with absolutely anyone, although in my own case I'm five hours ahead of most Catskills players and thus often tired as it's late at night for me. I will even RP with people who have clashed with me in the past, as I'm sure a couple of folks can tell you. When we've all been around as long as we have, almost all of us have rubbed each other the wrong way at some point, but in most cases we get over it and move along because having a community is important to us. So I am not sure where this hostility is coming from?

One thing to keep in mind is you kind of have to put yourself out there as an RPer. It can be scary to take the first step and try to engage with people, but if you interact, you'll get interaction in return. Also, remember that just because a character isn't the friendliest, that doesn't mean their player doesn't like you. Clearly RPers think well enough of you to turn up to your events and let you be included in their own. Please take no offence where none is intended; as I said, I think there was a misunderstanding here.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My initial post was mainly coming from an RP angle, but I think the underlying principles could apply to all play styles and event types. New / returning players are more likely to burn out if they're playing by themselves, and getting them informed so they can find the group that most suits them, whether RP or non-RP, is a positive. If you're playing UO then it's probably because you're searching for interaction, the multiplayer experience. With roleplay though players are looking for more specific kinds of interaction, as Piper illustrated in an earlier post - they want an experience that does not always come organically through regular gameplay. The days of truly spontaneous RP are behind us; sitting around waiting for something epic to come through the door only leads to more tavern sitting and waxing nostalgic about the good ol' days. We just don't have the numbers for that kind of thing.

For some reason, it comes up now and again in a rare drama thread or discussion the "exclusive" or "elitist" nature of RPers here, yet never seems to be accompanied by an actual anecdote or example of how a player was spurned from our group. I see a different perspective on my end. Players that don't show up to scheduled events, they don't participate, they don't invest. Some players don't get the reaction they were expecting or hoping for, and then think they are being ignored or they lose interest without giving us a chance. We've had players before who we have gone to great lengths to invite and include in our activities, but would brush us off instead. My point here is not to condemn or pass judgement, but similar to what Piper is saying sometimes it requires more than just attending a tavern night.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you're misunderstanding my point. Dramora posed the question of how to draw and promote roleplay in specific and this is what I have given my thoughts on in order to stay relevant to the question at hand. I am not suggesting to exclude anyone, but if the goal is to attract people with a specific interest, that interest needs to be catered to.
Hi everyone!

There seems to be an influx of new and returning players lately...at least a bunch of new-to-me faces.

I'd like to try to do some brainstorming on how we can welcome new/returning players and draw them into the RP community.

I know some of the non-RP groups have players that want to try RP, we need to include them too.

Pip

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Yes, precisely. A focus on new or returning players with a focus on RP. Calm down with the antagonising. No one is picking fights here.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The one thing you can say for sure about RPers is that we are passionate about our RP. Some excellent points have been made in this thread and I do not believe anything has been said to degenerate another play style or dissuade new or returning players. Deraj has a good point when he brings up the idea that too much sitting and chatting gets tiresome and a bit boring. As in life some conflict is needed to make life interesting. I have sat in far too many taverns when no one speaks aloud. This also does little for RP. And in this case a few things can be the culprit. Too many chatting with friend or private chat, or things are happening in their real life and they get up and walk off after seating their selves. You need interaction to RP. A guild is still your best source for getting started and there are still some to choose from.
All of us in this thread are trying to discuss an issue that matters to us, Catskills RP. Most of us have been playing UO for well over a decade. And while we have seen what seems to work and not for the community in the past, we have also seen that this does not always work with the current player base.

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Okay, I have quite a few folks linking me to this topic, so I'll throw my two cents in. I've been dealing with a flare up of a health condition and so have been MIA in-game/forums.

Alright. So the topic is basically a "How can we build the rp community." I'll say it simply. People will go where they feel welcome and where there is activity. I personally see this as literally a marketing and PR issue.
Unfortunately, that issue is a huge one. Everyone wants the activity, but few are willing to inconvenience themselves to facilitate that. To rebuild this community will take elbow grease and folks willing to do the work.

I made the catskillsrp forum to give all rpers a place to get together in one location instead of being fragmented. They can have forums if they need it, have a list of rp guilds, rp locations, get info on upcoming events etc. I shelled out the RL$ to handle the costs because I care about RP and it was a way I could help. 95% of its membership base... lurks without registering/logging in and doesn't participate or post. All I can do is give a platform, the choice of all of you to post and use it. I do my best to keep its calendar up to date, but honestly without regular activity... it will be hard pressed to attract others looking for rp. I know if I went there and looked at the level of activity and the fact only a handful of people post on it... I wouldn't be likely to give this rp community a second chance. *shrugs* People go where the activity is - it is the nature of an rper. If a place looks dead, they'll go to the next one. Its simple.

I love rp. I love this community. When people return for RP, I'd love this shard to be the place they go. Until the community as a whole is willing to commit to making that happen, it won't be.

Here are my suggestions for those interested:
1. Include a link to either a list of rp guilds, forums, etc in your signature here that promote the Catskills rp community. Hell, I made a few banners for the catskillsrp forums: Help Advertise your Community . Then participate in another topic on another forum occasionally. Do not post simply to post, but post on a topic in a way you contribute positively. When folks read your response, guess what most were see.;. that signature.

2. Keep an eye out on the (Stratics) New Players forum and the Global RP Forum. Participate in welcoming people or posting stories, participating in discussions or start one of your own.

3. Host small events as a way in to interaction. Many already do this, but usually the same core players behind it. Let's see some new faces and spread the work.

4. Attend even non-rp events with your RP character. Interact with non-rpers. Even just simply being there.Not only does this expose others to RP, the non-rp guilds may direct new/returning rpers when they come across them.

5. Help and support new/returning rpers. Exchange ICQs and periodically ask them how they are doing or give them links to upcoming events. Take an interest. Encourage them to post biographies, stories or help guide them to improving their rp.

6. Include a runebook to other rp locations at your establishment and a "Want to join the rp community" book.

7. Post stories, journals, etc on stratics and the rp forums.

Also as far as stories go... there are plotlines going on in-game. Many folks just don't reference them outside of game and to get involved you have to get to know someone IC. I know one of the recent plots involving some statues, the player behind it made an effort to try and get Moonglow involved. Although it failed on a grand scale because Alira is difficult at times to get her incentive to be involved... I do know one of our guildmembers enjoyed their part with it. and it allowed them to learn and grow in their rp experience.. You can't really get involved via stories... you need to get in-game and do the legwork.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know one of the recent plots involving some statues, the player behind it made an effort to try and get Moonglow involved. Although it failed on a grand scale because Alira is difficult at times to get her incentive to be involved...
It wasn't a failure at all. You made choices appropriate to your character which I am glad for and I look forward to tormenting you in the future.

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Alira.

Honestly, I'm not trying to "blame" anyone for anything, nor do I want anyone to feel defensive. All I'm trying to do is to see if we, as a group, can figure out how to get more active players.

And it's nice to say "people just need to put themselves out there and get involved". But if those people can't find anyone to get involved with, how do they get involved?

Everyone has a tendency to stay in their houses and play amongst themselves, but all people don't know where that is, and if we can't find you, how can we possibly get involved in a story that you are running?

Pip

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thank you Alira.

Honestly, I'm not trying to "blame" anyone for anything, nor do I want anyone to feel defensive. All I'm trying to do is to see if we, as a group, can figure out how to get more active players.

And it's nice to say "people just need to put themselves out there and get involved". But if those people can't find anyone to get involved with, how do they get involved?

Everyone has a tendency to stay in their houses and play amongst themselves, but all people don't know where that is, and if we can't find you, how can we possibly get involved in a story that you are running?
I know for the Rp1 group at least, there is very little private or house based RP ever done. Nearly everything is in a public meeting place in a major city, events are publicly posted ahead of time, and if someone asks what's up or sounds bored, they're invited. That's pretty much being handed an opportunity for play on a platter. I don't think there's that much house RP on Catskills as a whole, really. RP Chat is a great way to find people in real time and a lot of folks manage to make use of it to find others.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree that RP chat is a great place to keep in touch. And Defiantly check out Players of roles website. You can always find events listed there. Some are Guild hunts and events but much of what is there is open to the public. They meet in the Tavern in Trinsic most of the time to head out. And really, as much as I love player run towns and taverns, taking events and tavern nights into the towns will give RP a lot more exposure. Rangers do that in Trinsic and Skara already, and Dramora holds tavern nights in the city. And in truth I rarely have trouble finding folks to interact with if I am on the hunt for RP. Yes there is more we can do to make ourselves visible. Like Alira I take Hairy whenever I have the free time to heal at the Magincia Net Toss. I often hear RPers including myself offering their ICQ numbers to new folks they come across. And yes, I know sometimes things fall flat, and some new person walks away. That is unfortunate, and It would be nice if we were able to retain all new and returning players.

Noble Beast

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My personal approach has always been to lead by example. I RP all the time in Sosaria & my KnightHood (K^S) accepts that character quirk of mine with grace, good-humor, & respect. We are light-RP as a whole but my part is pure toon! My experience with this open, join-in-or-not approach fits my personality better than some of the stricter guilds in their play-styles; and it seems to allow GuildMates an opportunity to dabble with RP or dive in.

Bottom line is this: Catskills has a variety of players and styles to find one's personal fit. Seasoned, intelligent players with rich histories are willing to help the returning players navigate this new/updated but familiar world of UO. Many of the returning-folks played 7-10 years ago. I believe that that speaks volumes for the spirit of UO's citizens. So play on!

As a returning player, some three years ago, I am grateful that I rediscovered Catskills when I returned to this game.

*closes eyes & nods once*

archero

Visitor
Sorry it has taken me so long to post this. I have been busy and am just now settling down to type this up. Here is the experience I have had thus far. Many know I moved from Baja to Catskills. Nothing against Baja but time zones matter. When things start when I am going to bed it does not help much. So I did some research online and quickly found Catskills to be RP central in the UO universe. I then created a character (Michael some may remember) to visit and see what was going on. I was totally lost but what I did find was a group of people that appeared to be having fun. Bingo, lets move. So I slowly moved "House Erynion" (as I refer to my accounts) to Cats. After spending several weeks going to events and attending tavern nights I was still lost. I was ready to move on. I moved a little to soon. After leaving a guild they had an event that hooked me. Story line was good, NPC's were a little shifty in my eyes but well played. And we got to kill a T-Rex. Now I am starting to feel I am in the right place. Some of it could be my quiet personality, a lot of it has to do with this being my first time attempting to fully RP in game.

Now had I not been so set on finding out what brings this group together for what seemed to me two of the most boring hours of tavern sitting. I would of left, gone right back to my PvE life of killing (insert peerless here) over and over to get (insert rare item). Now I am starting to think, how can I make things more of an encounter and less of lets go farm for item X. I still have issues with contributing to the story. I know my son wants the story brought to him. Probably a generation issue. How could of things been better to hook me earlier. That is how I am looking at this thread. Not all will like the bait but how many are getting away and how do we prevent that.

Hope that helps people understand my struggle. Maybe this will help others. Be sure to say hi if you see Dirnim or any other from House Erynion in game.

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Sorry it has taken me so long to post this. I have been busy and am just now settling down to type this up. Here is the experience I have had thus far. Many know I moved from Baja to Catskills. Nothing against Baja but time zones matter. When things start when I am going to bed it does not help much. So I did some research online and quickly found Catskills to be RP central in the UO universe. I then created a character (Michael some may remember) to visit and see what was going on. I was totally lost but what I did find was a group of people that appeared to be having fun. Bingo, lets move. So I slowly moved "House Erynion" (as I refer to my accounts) to Cats. After spending several weeks going to events and attending tavern nights I was still lost. I was ready to move on. I moved a little to soon. After leaving a guild they had an event that hooked me. Story line was good, NPC's were a little shifty in my eyes but well played. And we got to kill a T-Rex. Now I am starting to feel I am in the right place. Some of it could be my quiet personality, a lot of it has to do with this being my first time attempting to fully RP in game.

Now had I not been so set on finding out what brings this group together for what seemed to me two of the most boring hours of tavern sitting. I would of left, gone right back to my PvE life of killing (insert peerless here) over and over to get (insert rare item). Now I am starting to think, how can I make things more of an encounter and less of lets go farm for item X. I still have issues with contributing to the story. I know my son wants the story brought to him. Probably a generation issue. How could of things been better to hook me earlier. That is how I am looking at this thread. Not all will like the bait but how many are getting away and how do we prevent that.

Hope that helps people understand my struggle. Maybe this will help others. Be sure to say hi if you see Dirnim or any other from House Erynion in game.

You've always been great to interact with on the chances I've had to run into you.. I'm glad you stuck around

Pip

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

Just gonna say, I've seen you in game a number of times and you seem like a cool guy. I've seen you reach out to others via your character and seek out opportunities for interaction. I've seen your character involved in IC debates and giving his opinion and having real discussions. These are great steps to feeling more a part of things, and you're doing well! So hopefully you don't feel otherwise. These things evolve organically, much like real life. The more you invest and involve yourself, the more you get back, and the more rewarding it is. It can be intimidating, but trying new stuff often is. Don't be too hard on yourself! I'm sure we all hope to see more of you.