• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEW PLANTS in FIRE Color??? --> Dev Response Please??

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hunting the seeds on boglings is nothing compared to this system. Since Regine is dead set on keeping the plants as non-seed producers, she could at least make it practical for growing and organizing by labeling the seeds. We would still have to slay the creatures in each group and the seeds would drop randomly. We might need to kill 15 kappas in a row before we get a small hedge. But, at least then we could plant all of the hedges in the same bag or section of our shops. Having 15 seeds labeled the same and ending up with a mess once they bloom is highly annoying.
I think that labelling them would be worse for gardeners. I still think that the non-gardeners will end up coming to gardeners for the new plants - if the non-gardeners could just collect, say, labelled small hedge seeds until they had all they wanted and grow them in one lot, they'd be more likely to grow their own. Yes, we'll have to grow more plants than we wanted to if we're only after one particular plant type in a defined group, but we can raise our prices to make up for this.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love the new plants and the system they came to us in. Even the avid gardener has much to do and will not get bored as quickly. The seeds themselves are so plentiful that they cannot be so hard to get for the non fighter. ( I have plenty for you Kariny)

The "easter egg" is another bonus surprise. We don't get the choice of which artifact we want to pop into our backpacks so we keep on trying eh?

I feel for the gardeners like KittyKat but this really is a great way for things to stay fresh for awhile longer. For something that was just supposed to be a cocoa tree, I thank Sakkarah (+team) for adding in the extra pixels!

M

Mitzlplik_SP

I like the plants and I like having to hunt for the seeds.I like not having everything spoon fed to me.

I think all this crybaby garbage is way more annoying than anything UO could produce. I mean really do some of you even read what you write? Maybe say it outloud and try to see how foolish you sound.

I say GJ devs,thanks for any and all new content.:bowdown:

D

DHMagicMan_1

I also happen to love gardening and have grown 50 of the new plants of my own since they hit production shards. I actually bought a new Tram house so I can go crazy with the new plants (and Halloween Deco), because my Fel houses are either storage or designed for PvP. It's not that I do not get where you're coming from, it's just not the direction we want to go with this set of plants.

You say you understand gardeners and that you (EA/Mythic) take player feedback into consideration with all the decisions you make... it's clear however that after the "Main", "Primary", "Normal"... whatever you want to call it... gardening system has been such a massive hit for how long now??? 4+ years, with only the addition of the Naturalist Quest for 4 extra hues as the only change in that entire time... the player base (who choose to garden) have spoken LOUDLY. Bonsai came and went because it was a WEAK system with few, ugly plants that did nothing but go to deco mode... So you, EA/Mythic/Desigers whoever made the decision says hey, lets throw in some plants and copy the system that FAILED, rather than the one the players have loved since inception.

Sorry if I sound hostile, I'm probably overly tired. I don't buy the excuse that there's no possible cross polination that could make sense because look at the original system. I don't buy that you needed new artwork, what artwork??? It seems that the art objects in UO can re-hue themselves as evidenced by no one creating a new Fire Cactus and yet they exist... we already have the seed art, the bowls, saplings, lettuce bowls, popped plants... hues are covered... what's left?

As far as not wanting to allow us to grow seeds because we should have to hunt for them? I agree with what's already been said, gardening and hunting should be completely independent. If your scribe needs supplies to make scrappers, fine because he's (she's) making scrappers to help with fighting... are people going to throw cacti for better damage than their bows or dragons? It's eye candy... decorations... Why does it need to be any harder than Naturalists? If you wanted to provide an alternative Naturalists with an alternative set of colors (for all 34 plants) for us to do something similar or needing similar abilities, great... but that would take more coding time.

This one would have been a "Freebie" to make it right the first time and whether you stand up now and admit it or not, you know it's true.

Politicians like doublespeak too, as aparently do game designers... I voted for the War, before I voted against it.

I find any and all excuses for not giving us a viable set of new plants false on their face.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the new plants and the colored ones are a bonus. I don't mind hunting for the seeds. All groups have easy monsters anyway.

If people don't like to hunt for seeds or grow plants i gladly do it for them on Drachs and Napa. My friends get everything they want, they only need to ask for it. I will also sell them for a fair price (often too cheap) on my vendors when i have enough.

I thank the Devs to do these things for us. And i know that you can't make everyone happy with what you trying to do. I hope for more of these things in the future. :)

F

Flora Green

I like the plants and I like having to hunt for the seeds.I like not having everything spoon fed to me.

I think all this crybaby garbage is way more annoying than anything UO could produce. I mean really do some of you even read what you write? Maybe say it outloud and try to see how foolish you sound.

I say GJ devs,thanks for any and all new content.:bowdown:
Sorry, :cheerleader: are for devs who actually know what they are doing.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry, :cheerleader: are for devs who actually know what they are doing.
*sighs*
when posters get all pvp'ish over gardening? It's time to walk away. Have fun with this thread Sakkarah! (I'm sure she's heard better trash talk in her fel history)

F

Flora Green

I think that labelling them would be worse for gardeners. I still think that the non-gardeners will end up coming to gardeners for the new plants - if the non-gardeners could just collect, say, labelled small hedge seeds until they had all they wanted and grow them in one lot, they'd be more likely to grow their own. Yes, we'll have to grow more plants than we wanted to if we're only after one particular plant type in a defined group, but we can raise our prices to make up for this.
I know they will come to us because in a matter of weeks the novelty of growing the new plants will wear off and the non-gardeners will tire of bothering with the plants. That's why they have come to us for years. Yes, we can raise our prices, but I what about space?

D

DHMagicMan_1

Mitz,

Do you garden or do you sell the seeds? Do you deco your house and use say 6 or 8 of the same plant or something? or sometimes want to do a them and need multiples of several plants at the same time?

Do you like that you can go hunt for random seeds from groups of monsters and plant great numbers of seeds hoping to get the numbers of plants you needed to deco... tend the seedlings, saplings and plants for a week until they pop and get frustrated because you are 2 or 3 short of one type and 2 short of a second maybe?

Do you know there's no way to ID a seed to know which of the 16 plants you will get? or which of the x possibles from y sets of mobs???

I'm glad you, as a gardener and decorator will enjoy this new system.

F

Flora Green

*sighs*
when posters get all pvp'ish over gardening? It's time to walk away. Have fun with this thread Sakkarah! (I'm sure she's heard better trash talk in her fel history)
Yes. I'm well aware of the way it works here.

D

DHMagicMan_1

*sighs*
and when someone at EA/Mythic puts a PvP/Fel FanGal who aparently thinks everyone needs to enjoy UO the way she does, in charge of game design decisions for an aspect like gardening... someone somewhere needs to stop and ask why???

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and when someone at EA/Mythic puts a PvP/Fel FanGal who aparently thinks everyone needs to enjoy UO the way she does, in charge of game design decisions for an aspect like gardening... someone somewhere needs to stop and ask why???
Sure they can, and should. Respectfully.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to add this:

Although I am very happy with the new plants, in the beginning I didn't much like the idea of hunting for them, but am over that now and actually enjoy going out to get them.
Like it's part of my 'grand scheme', I do wish to add a comment here ....

Regine said that people would be sitting on soo many seeds and the fun would be over in like a few weeks. (it will be anyways due to hardcore gardners and plain human nature, once the 'new feeling' has worn off all will fall back into our 'regular' UO lives with some extra options added)
But may I add this was the same with the 'old style plants' aswell and still we have professional gardners. Because it takes dedication to keep growing plants.
This dedication makes all the difference imho.
Gardning is not everybodies cup of tea, just like everything ingame you have people who love&hate to do it. This is what makes this game so dynamic and beautiful.
There is something to do for everyone !!!

Ofcourse there are more wishes I have with the plants, but I am happy with what we got now.
And we can always try giving some input and nice ideas as Regine states she does consider player input.

The only thing that really saddens and joys me, is that the whole thing was not intented.
It joys me cause despite this we DO have new plants, it saddens me because with several professions linked to this (gardners/decorators) and so many players using plants to decco thier own homes, that after all these years since the first introduction of the plants we get new options because someone was nice enough to take the time for it.

I myself feel it is become such a part of the game it deserves a bit more attention.

In the end all I can say is thanks Regine for what we have now, and I will keep hoping for more in the near future, and not have to wait 4-5 years again for a next generation plants.

PS. And please fix the Locked Down no Tending issue, with this fixed I can say I would be very content with the new plants.
PSS. And if you do believe in hunters selling thier seeds to gardners atleast let the seeds carry the label of the group or monster they are found in, because my worst concern when have to buy seeds is if I am getting what I am paying for, and there is no way to check this in advance.

D

Deb

*sighs*
I could not agree with you more...this thread is almost borderline
trolling. I feel bad for the devs....we finally get something awesome and
these people act like they all lost their belongings. Geezzz people,
go outside and take some deep breaths.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...but what about space?
We're all in pretty much the same boat concerning space issues - if we need more room than what we've got available in our house, we use beetles and bankboxes. One gardening char with a blue beetle would start with 375 slots for plant growing (125 bankbox + 125 pack + 125 beetle). Subtract 45-50 for bags to use for separating plant pots out either for organizing or so you can see everything if you're using the 2D client, another 10 so that you have space to move bags in and out of the chars backpack while tending plants, and maybe another 10 so the char can carry a runebook, spellbook, regs, potion kegs and a water pitcher.

That still leaves room for growing a lot of plants - and using only 1 character.

F

Flora Green

*sigh*nevermind. Apparently we are all supposed to garden the same way now.

Umfufu has a point about labeled seeds aside from mine. Those who have to rely on others for the seeds won't know what they are getting from player vendors.

D

DHMagicMan_1

There is NO END to the obvious problems and while they "take player feedback into consideration" they have a 4 year old system (or more) and despite it's popularity it's never been "scheduled" for upgrades save for the Naturalist Quest... somehow even though there was aparently no scheduled upgrade for gardening and no "budget" for it??? it got good placement in the Patch 55 Notes though... was there anything in 55 other than Gardening and Vet Rewards that cover new stuff for people who had 10 year Vet Status a YEAR AGO?

1. Generation 5 Plants???
  2. Some sort of seed pack, box, BoD, something?
  3. Some sort of seed ID ability?
  4. Water icon that works??

Even this time, gardening wasn't going to get anything scheduled, just one plant that was a throw in for something else... they just "gave us" 16 more Bonsai because it was easy and no one had to do any thinking about it.

W

Wynne

I love the new plants.

I don't mind hunting for the seeds; a few friends and I head out together sometimes and spend an hour or two collecting seeds.

I wouldn't mind if the plants produced seeds, but I'm fine now with the implementation...of course I'd be delighted if the plants produced seeds and we could cross-pollinate so we could have the potential of black and white plants, too. ;)

But the Easter egg of the 'rare' colored plants in the old system is certainly fun and neat. That I'm thrilled with.

Perhaps in the long run, the seeds not being available on the plants will keep the prices up as there will be no guaranteed supply of particular plants in specific amounts.

I would like to see the lock down tending of the new plants fixed, that would be great.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Hunting the seeds on boglings is nothing compared to this system. Since Regine is dead set on keeping the plants as non-seed producers, she could at least make it practical for growing and organizing by labeling the seeds. We would still have to slay the creatures in each group and the seeds would drop randomly. We might need to kill 15 kappas in a row before we get a small hedge. But, at least then we could plant all of the hedges in the same bag or section of our shops. Having 15 seeds labeled the same and ending up with a mess once they bloom is highly annoying.
The facts, that the seed is not labeling may be a very good thing. If non gardeners got labeled seed when they was hunting, they would grow the seed they wanted and trash or sell the seed they did not want.

This way, the non gardeners will find a gardener and trade the seed for the plants they want. It will allow the gardeners to make a business from selling deco plants instead of seeing all grow their own plants.

Lets the gardeners do the growing and the hunters do the hunting :D

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The facts, that the seed is not labeling may be a very good thing. If non gardeners got labeled seed when they was hunting, they would grow the seed they wanted and trash or sell the seed they did not want.

This way, the non gardeners will find a gardener and trade the seed for the plants they want. It will allow the gardeners to make a business from selling deco plants instead of seeing all grow their own plants.

Lets the gardeners do the growing and the hunters do the hunting :D
No but we can ask for labeling by monster or group type for those gardners who are buying.
This wouldn't change anything but will give a secure buy to the buyer.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
You say you understand gardeners and that you (EA/Mythic) take player feedback into consideration with all the decisions you make... it's clear however that after the "Main", "Primary", "Normal"... whatever you want to call it... gardening system has been such a massive hit for how long now??? 4+ years, with only the addition of the Naturalist Quest for 4 extra hues as the only change in that entire time... the player base (who choose to garden) have spoken LOUDLY.
There will always be a few unhappy customers no matter what EA do. Because it's not what you wanted it do not mean it's should be changed.
We are alot more who are very happy with this new plant system and the Naturalist Quest bonus.

Bonsai came and went because it was a WEAK system with few, ugly plants that did nothing but go to deco mode... So you, EA/Mythic/Desigers whoever made the decision says hey, lets throw in some plants and copy the system that FAILED, rather than the one the players have loved since inception.
I think the size of the Bonsai plants is the biggest problem, they are so small, that they are not really a good deco, make the 2-3x the size and more will use it.

:scholar: For the rest of your post, you have your opinion, that's ok but stop sounding like a spoiled kid showing his present in a corner and yelling at his parents. Think about all the happy kids who got same present and love it, why make them unhappy to please you.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
No but we can ask for labeling by monster or group type for those gardners who are buying.
This wouldn't change anything but will give a secure buy to the buyer.
I agree with labeling by monster or group type would be nice but I think garteners can sell most of the plants and the fact, that the seed is not labeling may keep the price down for the seeds.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We didn't HAVE to throw in anything. Since I was doing the cocoa trees (that we had promised a few months back), I decided to add a few more plants while at it. This has already been answered before, and in the FOF, there was no time planned in the schedule for gardening. What you would like to see would take way more time than what our very busy schedule currently allows.

As you appropriately put in bold it WAS a design decision not to allow the new plants to produce seeds. And I stand by that decision, even more now in view of the general reaction to the new plants. Some players have individually grown over 200 plants in the first week. By the time the plants stop producing seeds, each of these players will have in excess of 1600 seeds sitting on their plants to be harvested whenever. Why even bother hunting for the seeds anymore?

To this, some of you will reply "I'm a crafter, I shouldn't have to hunt for this". And again I disagree. Don't you have to hunt to get barbed leather? Peerless ingredients? Serpent & dragon scales? Bones? Why shouldn't gardeners also have a portion of the plants they can produce require a certain amount of hunting? My scribe cannot pump out a billion scrappers a day because I need to do peerless bosses and hope they will drop the ingredients I'm missing. Or I can just go buy them from someone else and hope the scrappers I make will have the mods I needed so I can resell for a profit instead of a loss. It's part of the risk any merchant needs to deal with.

I understand some of you are not pleased with this decision, but it will not change. The peculiar seeds WILL NOT produce seeds.
This pretty much nails a lot of issues on the head. At one point in time it clearly WAS a design decision to allow plants to produce seeds.... and cross pollinate... and produce a few interesting ingredients. That should have been the only design decision about the system since it's extraordinary reception.

I do thank you for the extra work. The new plants are pretty fab. But this is the inconsistency across so many systems that make them less enjoyable. We see it in all aspects of the game. Casting classes with a handful of spells, "stupid" heartwood quests that should have been new BOD systems, The whole friggin city of Luna and it's one screen fits all town layout with high end vendor housing one screen away from that.

You ask yourself who would hunt these creatures once the initial seed was farmed? New players experimenting with the plant system would. Veteran players new to the plant system would. As for that fella with the 1600 seeds... well I think he/she would spend a great deal more time sorting those seeds than they ever would farming new ones. At least they would have the ability to choose which activity they enjoyed doing more. And some just do not like to PvM for stuff like this.

I'll bet you 20 gold pieces that once the hype is over, most folks raising these seeds will be those who grow them to sell in their shops. I don't know if you have ever ran a big successful shop. But it is very time consuming. When a plant vendor runs out of tall hedges they just don't want to spend hours farming in hopes that the RNG is kind enough to give them a few tall hedge seeds. The only other option is not to sell them thus not grow them... and why hunt the creatures then? RNG.. when used for these sort of things... is the biggest cop out in any online game.

And if few are selling them how much time does someone have to waste farming mobs for a few plants to finish off even the most simple deco idea.... or the most complex:

Do you have any idea how long it took to farm the 100 or so specific vines (from the RNG whipping vine) it took to cover the 700ish shadow granite used to build this design? A far sight longer than it would have taken to learn the plant system I assure you.

I don't want to discourage you when you add extra work into the already overwhelming load you all must have. But please think these things through from the initial hype to the post-coidal tenderness these things will eventually need after the thrill is gone.. Please be consistent.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may get blasted for this but didnt we have to hunt for our seeds
originally? Yes, we did and Bog things were not that easy back in the
day.
My immediate thoughts on reading Regine's post was that the element of community was being encouraged.

I chose the word "encouraged" rather than forced, since I imagine the vast majority of us have alternative chars ready, able & willing to accomplish the resource-gathering if we really do not wish to interact with others in-game.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I'm fortunate, but on Siege I have a friend who will bring me all the seeds I can plant (and more if I don't ask him to slow down a bit!) simply because he loves to be doing something useful when he's hunting. In return he has any plants that he wants himself when they mature.

I'm also not without initiative and managed to find a way to get at least kappa seeds by myself. (+ mage spell book, +mage jewels, blade spirit scrolls)

On Europa of course I just log in a fighting char.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I too believe it will be easy to get the seed without hunting them yourself.

I know alot who rather pay 300 or more for orange petals and green thorns than grow themself.

I think even if we should have to pay around 500 each seed, the plants will sell for 5-20k depending of the type.

All in all I find it to be a very nice plant system.

C

Coppelia

Encouraging community?
Yeah so I go to a vendor, see peculiar seeds for sale. I need about 50 hedges. What shall I do? I don't even know what group they're from.

I think it encourages people not to take part in the usual gardening fun because this time you have to grow tons of plants that you don't need. So you can't quietly play with a small batch of plants. You have to make it big or rely on other to buy them grown, ie you don't play the gardening part.

IMO it was just the lazy ninja update and shut the heck up if you're not happy with it. But I guess we can't have more than that with the three devs and a half team.

L

Lady_Kattalina

What gardener doesn't appreciate all the possibilities of plant growing? I can understand wanting the plants coloring to change*, but as a gardener why would anyone complain about variety? That's what I love about growing plants.

*Plants would be more appealing if only the bud changed color and the base remained green, rather than the entire plant being the same color.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for taking into account the people who actually garden which you apparently do not. And thank you for helping me finalize the decision to close accounts.
Wow closing accounts over some silly plants? LMAO Can I have your stuff even your silly little plants and or seeds?

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But keep in mind that as disheartened as you may be that you didn't get the options you wanted, others would have felt just as ignored had we gone the way you wished.
How many patches or publish are either for PVP or PVM or ingame events or just bug fixes compared to things like gardening?When people start crying for the nerf wand to be used against such and such template in PVP because it is too powerfull it seems the Devs get right on it and start waving the wand but when a portion of the player base are asking for more time to be spent on gardening and you tell us it is not on the official schedule that speaks volumes. On the very first day I planted 100 of the new seeds. A few friends and I went out hunting and shared all the seeds we collected. Gardening is not my main enjoyment in the game but I do like it. Please add gardening to the official schedule and show us non pvpers some love.

S

Sheridan

There's a fine line between respectfully disagreeing and blatant disrespect and a number of you are tapdancing on that line. Regine clearly has a great deal of input on the plant system, but like any other system in-game, it's never just on one person's shoulders. Lighten up, please.

D

DHMagicMan_1

I apologize if my lack of sleep and high frustration level led to more vocal displeasure than I needed to express.

I am highly displeased with the design decisions made but I think I've expressed them clearly so I won't go into them again. For myself, I will soon have enough of each of the new plants for decorating anything I can think of, for personal needs, then I won't sell the new plants or actively pursue the new seeds. To me, it will be yet another system like "Bonsai", PvP, Champ Spawns, etc... that I elect not to participate in.

I think it's the first one that's not directly combat related but who knows... maybe I'm still not thinking clearly.

I still question why such a popular "non-combat" related system (original gardening) is never scheduled for upgrades or "tune ups" after years, why design decisions for a completely "non-combat" related system "appears" to be directly in the hands of a VERY combat and PvP biased game designer...

Many more questions, but I'll move on and ignore what was never intended for me to enjoy.

E

Evilminion

Egads. o_O I fear to see somebody with an entire fire-colored hedge. *shudders* Personally, I hope they fix this!

D

DHMagicMan_1

LOL so far it's only happened (that I know of) for a single person and only with the quad barrel cacti.

Our illustrius developers and designers have "no idea" how this could have happend... so I don't think you have much to worry about... though I do think that people who hope and wish for FEWER OPTIONS for others... when they could just ignore the options if they existed, are selfish and closed minded...

Maybe I'll start campaigning again for closure of Fel wihsih is way under utilized, availability of PS scrolls in Tram rulesets... etc... the list is miles long.

If you like plain plants... grow them plain and decorate with them all you like and twice on sundays... if others like colors, why ask for us not to have the options?

K

Kensai Tsunami

as stated in the last FoF, the 'special' colors of the new plants was an unexpected 'easter egg'. if you dont like the thing, perhaps just toss it out?!
i mean comon ...is this REALLY anything to go off about?
good lord man!

there are sooooo many other bugs and issues to be concerned about.
once again, i read thread after thread in utter amazement at how trivial/trifling so many ppl on these forums can be.

thx for the laugh
:coco:

W

Warrior of Time

You have no idea how much of a beggar I actually am. You also don't know how much I like the plants and system we have to get them.

{starts begging}
I have 50 million seeds stored on plants. I also have seems like another 50 million plants growing. Please let me have a bod book call it pack of seeds to put them all in. A house fills up fast even if they are all max storage. We have flower shops full of plants. The seeds don't stack and can't be left on plants. Bad enough the sugar and stuff for candy will not stack. (Maybe a kitchen cupboard for the things for the candy too.) Please don't stop here with the ideas. [Can you tell what I do with my time in UO?]

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love the new plant system! I have only one character that can kill a hiryu, but I can get the same seeds from other monsters. When a paragon serpentine dragon comes up, it takes me 50 or more bandages for my Cu to kill it.

Getting seeds are not a problem, getting a specific plant is not a problem for me, My new plants are already sold and the next batch will sell fast.

If you want hedges, wait a while and there will be vendors with hedges.

The only problem with the new plants is they cant be tended while locked down once they bloom.

WTG Devs and thanks for adding the plants and thanks for making it a slight challenge to get the exact thing you want.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sigh*nevermind. Apparently we are all supposed to garden the same way now.
Actually, you and few others are the one that are (rather loudly) clammering for "Our way or the highway" gardening system. I hate the old school gardening system. I hate cross-pollinating and find it way too confusing for a casual gardener. I also find all the colored plants a slight on this world that should be immediately removed. HOWEVER, I can clearly see why cross-pollination adds depth to the gardening system and is enjoyed by people (like you). To a lesser extent, I can also see why some people would have the (poor) taste of liking colored plants.

This time we have a new system that favors people who like to forage. However, you seem to think that there should be only ONE SYSTEM instead of having a variety. Maybe in future we will get plants that can be pollinated (in shades of as many uglies as you want). Great. I will not be complaining as I can see why some player base would enjoy that. Just like you should not be complaining that this time around it favors people who like to forage.

Then again, I doubt that anyone from EA/Mythic is going to take a look at gardening in near future after the way some people have been throwing tantrums. I hope this is not the case because few obnoxious posts are not representative of the gardening community.

To no one in particular:
I find it baffling that few of you think that just because it does not meet your idea of how it should work, it simply should not have been added. Why? Do the many facets of Sosaria revolve around your collective heads? Can you not see why many other players would find this exciting? It is in no way harming the way you guys used to do things - just your expectations are not met this time around. You know what? That happens every time with every single change they make - there will always be someone for whom the new changes do not add anything worthwhile (or even harms). Get over it.

In the end I would like to make my cheerleader post and say it is a great addition. Hopefully they will add new plants that can pollinate in future to satisfy the non-foraging kind of gardeners as there is clearly a lot of demand for it.

F

Flora Green

No. I merely asked for the plants to self-seed (which I've since changed my position on) or at least be labeled on the monsters. So, I am not (despite the success of the old system) clamming for things to be exactly the same. In fact, I've said very little about cross-pollinating other than it's a shame people who want black and white plants can't get them. Personally I dislike cross-pollinating and only do it when I have to. I would much prefer black and white plants be added in another way. Perhaps as a rare reward to the Naturalist quest. My comment regarding "we are all supposed to garden the same way now" was in regards to space constraints and using beetles. It had nothing to do with cross-pollination.

If you hate the old way, you all have had years to complain about it. Few, if any, did. You rely on others for your plants (which is great for us with shops :)) or grow a small bunch (which you can get by buying labeled seeds) for your personal needs. Now a dev comes along and changes things on a whim based upon her personal preference and all of the non-gardeners (and a few pros) start in with how bad the old system is and sing her praises.

As for the "ugly" plants. I rarely ever use anything but plain except for Halloween and white during Christmas. But, my CUSTOMERS buy them regularly. So, yes the option should be there for everyone to have the plant colors they choose. Your assumption that I'm only thinking of me in all of this is flat out wrong. Many times I've alluded to customers, requests I receive, ability to stock high volume, etc.

I find it amusing people complain about every other aspect of the game and it's just fine. But, since a gardener isn't important and has no title next to their name reflecting what they do, they are supposed to sit back and go along with whatever change (after YEARS of neglect using a successful system) and say nothing.

I have thanked Sakkarah for the plants in other threads. They are beautiful and a great addition. Also, I openly admit I have been harsh in my remarks to/about her and I apologize for that. This doesn't mean I agree with her and the way they went about making this change (no interaction or discussion with players prior to pub 55, refusal to simply consider altering things), but the decision has been made. All I ask for now is they fix the lockdown bug which prevents tending the plants in that mode and PLEASE give us something to store the seeds in.

I was finished with this thread and then I saw your attack on me. I'll try and limit my complaints from now to PvP, AOS, nerfing of (insert skill, BOS, rares and a million other things), stable slots, Tram vs. Fel, scripters, dupers and thieving. You are absolutely right there have been rude comments and I made some of them. And now you've gotten your digs in.

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To no one in particular:
I find it baffling that few of you think that just because it does not meet your idea of how it should work, it simply should not have been added. Why? Do the many facets of Sosaria revolve around your collective heads? ....
No need to dump my thoughts on everyone else with a desenting opinion on plants. Your "no one in particular" is completely wasted since it was me alone that said (in a moment of complete unhappiness I might add) "I wish they'd never been added". It *was* a stupid statement and I did acknowledge this and apologize for it. But as Flora said, it did give you your chance to get your digs in.

I too am through with this topic...Just want to thank Sakkarah for taking the time to at least hear desenting opinions, and also wanted to thank Maplestone for understanding. *Salutes* and much respect to both. Thank you.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe apologies, I rarely read the names next to the post as I believe that everyone says silly things at time and I don't like to remember people for that. I know I do, often. I was commenting on the general idea which I thought was expressed by couple of people (maybe I am wrong?)

Flora: People will still mostly buy these plants from gardeners as it is still a bit of work and logistics to grow them. However, people can sell the seeds now. Yes, a seed organization system is required.

N

Ni-

*Plants would be more appealing if only the bud changed color and the base remained green, rather than the entire plant being the same color.
That begs the question, what would happen to plants that are all green(water plant, cacti...? Just curious? KR has that feature of not coloring the stem(normally green parts).

I fully understand the option you present. I also kind of like the plants being all one color, but I guess that is from more of my decorative side that likes to take some things and use them to build other things.

N

Ni-

No. I merely asked for the plants to self-seed (which I've since changed my position on) or at least be labeled on the monsters.
I apologize for not reading the whole thread...

Labeled seeds would be nice so that you could work towards the particular plants that you'd like. That can happen with the old system, once you get a couple of the original 3 seeds.

The plant producing self seeds might flood the market. Maybe instead of 8 seeds, it would only produce 1 or 2 seeds. That was you could still work towards a desired, controllable, goal.

Just a couple ideas. If nothing happens, however, I'm sure I'll still be fine with how they are now.

Oh yeah, have there been any other confirmations on the colored plants. Did they come from the naturalist quest? If so, then the Pink, Purple, and Aqua plants are possible, however unlikely? So the chances of getting a new plant would probably be about 50%? 17 old plants, 16-17 new plants(cocoa tree?)?

I'll be planting some fire seeds soon(sorry, but I like the color of fire). I'm sure someone else has already started, we'll probably know in about a week, I guess.

L

Lily

In the end all I can say is thanks Regine for what we have now, and I will keep hoping for more in the near future, and not have to wait 4-5 years again for a next generation plants.

After all this CRAP, I'd say that another generation or grouping of plants will probably never happen.

Lily