• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEW PLANTS in FIRE Color??? --> Dev Response Please??

D

DHMagicMan_1

This pic was posted in the Botany forum by Ms Lady Lava...

NewFirePlant.jpg

Us gardeners are trying to understand what's happening here?

We were told the new plants were "Plain Only" but now we see this pic...

Do all the new plants come in Fire color? Are they available through the Naturalist quest or are they Fire if they drop from Paragons or something like that? None of us have seen any "Fire Color" Fragrant or Peculur seeds... do the "Plain" seeds sometimes bloom into "Fire" plants?

Can you tell us ANYTHING about what's going on?

Thanks.

Kri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I missing something or is that just the old tri-barrel and single barrel cacti sitting next to each other?

D

Devil_Woman

No, it looks similar, but notice the small flower on the left. This definitely appears to be the new cactus.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
No, it looks similar, but notice the small flower on the left. This definitely appears to be the new cactus.
Look like they made a few surprises for us, I like that, it will give gardeners a reason to grow all the seed they can get when they have a chance, that one of them will be colored.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it was an accident and they didn't mean for the plants to be that color, I hope they decide to leave it and not change it.

R

Rix/\

taking a pic mousing over the name of the plant would help but it looks like old mutated barrel catus

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I doubt it was an accident, it will keep it exciting to grow the plants.
There is one more strange thing, the seed from Cocoa tree is seen in both black and blue colors.

C

Connor_Graham

I didn't see this in the original thread when it was still on the front page, but did you guys know that Wisps drop the new seeds too? I got one this morning and was surprised to see it as it wasn't on your list the last time I looked at it.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

This pic was posted in the Botany forum by Ms Lady Lava...

View attachment 440

Us gardeners are trying to understand what's happening here?

We were told the new plants were "Plain Only" but now we see this pic...

Do all the new plants come in Fire color? Are they available through the Naturalist quest or are they Fire if they drop from Paragons or something like that? None of us have seen any "Fire Color" Fragrant or Peculur seeds... do the "Plain" seeds sometimes bloom into "Fire" plants?

Can you tell us ANYTHING about what's going on?

Thanks.
I think that this thread should be deleted.

D

DHMagicMan_1

I think that this thread should be deleted.
LOL why is that? The subject tells you what it's about... you didn't have to read it if you weren't interested.

I think your board name should be changed to "I'm only interested in me"

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not like the Blaze color, but a frosty hedge set in my yard would look tight.

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I like the idea that we may have been given a nice surprise. I really don't want confirmation from a Dev on this. It's a lot more fun to figure it out on our own. With the discovery of the cactus, we have a clue to work on. In a week or two, we'll know more.

D

DHMagicMan_1

That's fair enough. Everyone's entitled to their opinions. I don't really appreciate being deliberatly MISLED when they announce that the plants will only come in "Plain" but any special colors are better than none. I was always hoping for a more robust system than the bonsai anyway.

I just don't like the idea that people who disagree with others say "I think your request or opinion should be deleted".

Thanks for your comment, Zym. I'm sure we will know more eventually.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

LOL why is that? The subject tells you what it's about... you didn't have to read it if you weren't interested.

I think your board name should be changed to "I'm only interested in me"
[sarcasm] I just found a gold mine, I think I'll run to UO Hall and tell everyone about it. [/sarcasm]

I don't think you needed to be so rude about it.

F

Flora Green

Regine is aware of it as she posted in the Botany forum. Unfortunately it was yet another no info to be given post. So we are still left wondering if this is intentional or not and if it's a mistake if it will be left or corrected.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
[sarcasm] I just found a gold mine, I think I'll run to UO Hall and tell everyone about it. [/sarcasm]

I see nothing wrong in telling it, it will only make more login to kill monsters and grow plants.

D

DHMagicMan_1

I don't see how they could "ACCIDENTLY" make plants pop in FIRE color. What she's not giving any info on is if it comes from Naturalist quest, simply random, only from Paragons, only certian of the new plants, only FIRE or other "special" colors...

Saying it was accidently made in fire color is like saying wine makers accidently add bubbles to champaigne.

D

DHMagicMan_1

I guess I'm offending everyone today.

I'll go take a double dose of my medications.

My apologies.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

I guess I'm offending everyone today.

I'll go take a double dose of my medications.

My apologies.
LOL

Our feelers were hurt for a short time, it's all better now................ :mf_prop:

Lava didn't give up much information did she? I would think you would know if you planted a fire red Solen seed compared to one of the new seeds.

I'm actually excited to see if they are coming from the Solen quests. Imagine what the odds are if they are. Take the odds from before and add in all the new plants. That's a lot of quests.

D

DHMagicMan_1

I'd love it if Solen Quests can get us any of the 34 plants in all 4 of the Hues... I know some don't like it but they don't have to decorate using them... I'd LOVE it!!!

B

Black Betty

This is what she had to say: From here:
http://http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=102397

Myself and several others have been doing all things seed/plants and we have been doing the quests.
We did do the fire quest seed ( naturalist ) and it was done BEFORE pub so I have a feeling this is from the new seeds and not the seed quest.

Time will tell and I am excited to think of all the possibilites now.

It is one plant not two...look at flower.

When I click on plant is say " Rare fire red ".

p.s. Us girls are all friended to ants. There is just something wrong about having a ant crawl up your leg or kill you.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

I would think most gardeners would pay attention to what they plant. I guess some might just plant anything and hope for the best.

Would be nice to know for certain where it came from. With her information it's kind of like putting someone in a round room full of vents and venting the smell of cookies into the room. You know there is a cookie somewhere, you can smell it all around you, but you have no idea exactly where it's at. :wall:

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would think most gardeners would pay attention to what they plant. I guess some might just plant anything and hope for the best.

Would be nice to know for certain where it came from. With her information it's kind of like putting someone in a round room full of vents and venting the smell of cookies into the room. You know there is a cookie somewhere, you can smell it all around you, but you have no idea exactly where it's at. :wall:
hehe - good analogy...and now i'm hungry for cookies :)

I am really hoping that whether it was an accident or done deliberately, that it's something that stays. I know some people don't like the colored plants, but a lot really do, me included. I have been so sad this week each time I went to check on my plants to see what they were. So many of them would have lent themselves well to being colored and it really breaks my heart that we aren't having colored plants (like for example the Cypress trees - can't you imagine them in black for a dark, creepy halloween lawn or dungeon graveyard? Or the poppies and snowdrops, which would have made fabulously colored flower deco on top of other green plants or grass). At least with this we get a bit of fun color, even if it's some of the more bright ones, so definitely hoping it stays around.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regine is aware of it as she posted in the Botany forum. Unfortunately it was yet another no info to be given post. So we are still left wondering if this is intentional or not and if it's a mistake if it will be left or corrected.
I'd still like to know why the goofball decision was made to not allow the new plants to come in colors. Designer: "I don't like the other colors, so I'm not doing it, wah wah wah." Really? So inconsistency for the win?

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Greedy people like you who find things and then try to hide and exploit them ruin this game. And you were rude to suggest deleting this thread in the first place so whatever responses you get from it you have coming. But hey this thread should be all about you right? well GTFO! because no one cares about you here.

Now about that plant. Ugly yeah interesting sure but this looks fake and considering they said these would be plain instead of refusing to state anything about the color then I am left believing this is fake.

Should I go take a screen shot of my glacial colored cocoa tree?

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whoa, let's stop fighting and get back to the subject of plants okay? (never saw a fight over plants before...plants are much more fun and peaceful than that *grins*)

F

Flora Green

I'd still like to know why the goofball decision was made to not allow the new plants to come in colors. Designer: "I don't like the other colors, so I'm not doing it, wah wah wah." Really? So inconsistency for the win?
One can hope it will be realized that mistakes were made and they'll be corrected. Long shot, I know, but I keep hoping. Maybe it's a plan to get more active accounts again. I cannot possibly grow the massive amounts of seeds required to stock the new plants with no guarantee of what I'm getting, the original plants I grow in bulk AND store everything in one house. So, second account open again. *sigh* If only they would self-pollinate.

D

DHMagicMan_1

Speaking of Glacial, isn't time to add a couple new hues to the naturalist quest, so instead of guaranteed Fire or 1 out of 3 maybe you get Fire or Ice one way and 1 out of 5 or 8 the other? :)

K

Kyrie_Elaison

One can hope it will be realized that mistakes were made and they'll be corrected. Long shot, I know, but I keep hoping. Maybe it's a plan to get more active accounts again. I cannot possibly grow the massive amounts of seeds required to stock the new plants with no guarantee of what I'm getting, the original plants I grow in bulk AND store everything in one house. So, second account open again. *sigh* If only they would self-pollinate.
It would be nice if they made them self-pollinate. I think their main reason for doing it this way is to force players to constantly hunt the seeds. I'm still stumped as to why they didn't make the sugar cane produce sugar. Who knows what these Devs are up to? :mf_prop:

D

DHMagicMan_1

The last thing we need is more neon colors in this game.
That may be the last thing YOU need...

If tailoring BODs can return 10 or 20 or however many different colors of special cloths, surely there are a few more that gardeners can enjoy too.

IMHO.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

I would like to see them change the blooms on certain plants to different colors. Keep plants in more natural colors, but have the blooms different (but still natural.)

That would probably require new artwork though.

F

Flora Green

No, that's your personal opinion. People who don't like the bright colors don't have to wear or decorate with it. The choice should be there for those who do like it and people do buy the colored plants.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

That may be the last thing YOU need...

If tailoring BODs can return 10 or 20 or however many different colors of special cloths, surely there are a few more that gardeners can enjoy too.

IMHO.
I agree. The colored plants only really affect those that place them in their homes as deco.

I like the way you termed that "gardeners can enjoy too," cuz enjoyment is what gardenin' is all about. :D

*runs to get a fresh vine ripened tomato from the garden*

:lick:

Lady Lava

UO Senior News Reporter
Alumni
taking a pic mousing over the name of the plant would help but it looks like old mutated barrel catus

This is indeed a new plant, not old school and has the new flower on the cactus.

Lady Lava,
Great Lakes Senior Reporter
Catskills Reporter

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is a theory:

They did the naturalist quest and it gave her that plant. The new cacti is the only new plant that lets you tend it though its whole cycle while locked in your house. The game thinks it is an "old" plant.

another theory:

There is a slight chance that a new seed will make a fire colored plant.

yet another theory:

The new plants are part of the naturalist quest now!

Or:

Connor is behind this!

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best part is the devs seem to have no idea what caused it either. :\

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best part is the devs seem to have no idea what caused it either. :\
Don't all seeds have a tiny chance to be a mutant color? (I've never gotten one, but there's a comment about it in the stratics guide to pollination).

Perhaps they simply didn't disable that code for these seeds?

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But why would that cause Fire Red or Blue plants/seeds? The mutant colors are Black and White.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah... whomever the designer is (don't remember her name, and given her baseless decision-making skills, certainly not important enough in my mind to waste a single byte of space in my brain to do so) that made the decision to use the Samurai Empire "Hey We've Got To Throw In Something For Every Subset of the Game, Let's Do Bonsai With A Cheap Version of Gardening" Code instead of just going ahead and making a second plant system that was at least as dynamic as the first (since apparently 5th gen plants are never coming) is far beyond me.

I mean, honestly, how hard can cutting, pasting, and dropping in new values actually be?

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps it's the last thing you need, but there ARE people who like the neon colors.

This idea that just because someone DOESN'T like something that it shouldn't be in the game at all is getting tiresome.

I don't like tamers, but they aren't removing that skill anytime soon, are they now? And I'm not going to campaign for it either.

RedRum

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The FoF is out on the Herald. Jeremy's reply is:

http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday126.html

"You said the new plants would not come in different colors What gives?"

Um... surprise! It's... it's an easter egg! Yeah, that's what it is! (Actually, we're not at all sure why some of them are coming up colored, and it definitely wasn't intended, but we're not going to spoil the fun. Enjoy!)

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see them change the blooms on certain plants to different colors. Keep plants in more natural colors, but have the blooms different (but still natural.)

That would probably require new artwork though.
Actually, it wouldn't require "new artwork" in most cases, but rather modified artwork, and it would simply require them to sit down with their code and figure out how the original UO design team managed to cause things like chairs, beds, et cetera to have a portion you could dye and a portion that remains a solid color in the first place.

Of course, that would ALSO require the art team to stop making COLOR graphics and realize that color graphics don't hue well, and thus should be made in grayscale so that UO's dye system would handle them better (*cough*elvenrobes*cough*).

But, suffice to say, they could take things like the poppies and campions, adjust them to have grayscale flowers instead of colored flowers, while maintaining the same artwork, and then apply the code that sets the dye/color-change area to them, and voila, plants that change appropriately.

Then again, if I'd been in charge of KR, I'd have instituted a 2-dye-region system so that we could have things like candles that have their bases the appropriate metal colors, and allow the candles themselves to be a secondary color (based, perhaps, on a set of available waxes that could be created with gatherable dye-resources).

But then, I'm not in charge of UO... and looking at what Mythic's doing (or not in most cases) with the game, all I can say is "That's a damned shame, too."

F

Flora Green

RaDian,

Here you go. :) Bold is mine of course.

Why can’t we cross-pollinate the plants?

"The plan had been to allow cross-pollination but, after looking into it, a number of factors made me decide against it. First, drafting the right cross-pollination chart for this many new plants would require a significant amount of time. But assuming we had delayed publishing these additions to draft that chart, we would then meet issue #2: Art. I actually took a stab at the chart, but aside from a handful of the new plants, there is no possible logical correlation between the existing plants and the new ones. By no stretch of the imagination would combining an existing plant to one of the new seeds result in another one of the new plants. In order to get that 5th generation, new art would be required which isn’t possible at the current time."

Why not make them a separate set of plants that can cross-pollinate within that set?

"This was a valid suggestion but the issue is the same. Many of the new plants have nothing in common with each other and no cross-pollination chart would make sense. I suspect this was one of the reasons they weren’t added in the first pass to begin with. Again, this is a case of new art required..."
AND...

Why don’t the plants self-pollinate to produce seeds?

"This was a design decision. While the code is complex (way more than just telling it new vs. old), it wouldn’t take too much time to allow the plants to produce seeds. However, since these plants cannot cross-pollinate or give resources, if we allow them to produce seeds the market will be flooded with the most desirable plants within 3 to 4 weeks. And in 2 months from now, only a handful of people will bother with the plants anymore and definitely nobody will be hunting the seeds as everyone and their brother will have tons in store already. By limiting their availability and randomizing the drop of the seeds, it will make the most desirable plants rarer and thus more valuable while also expanding the life span of this mini-game."
http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday121.html

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I just want to make beer...