• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My thoughts on the Vesper Invasion

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So according to Promathia the skin produces the slayer and that's what the code is linked to, I can accept that. But whats confusing people is the corpses they produce, the one we killed in Britain was a crimson dragon corpse at least it was titled as much, used those spells, and definitely had that loot. That's why people are confused.
If people are getting confused, just tell them to stop worrying about what the corpse was. You only see that AFTER the fight, where it doesn't matter what slayer you use anyways. EM's have been dressing monsters up as other monsters for years. It keeps things interesting.

Besides, if you were to do a "Demon" invasion, and every time you could only use the same exact type of monsters, that would be quite boring. So EM's can take, a Crimson Dragon for example which has newer abilities and an interesting move set, and make it a demon to fight.

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
.......What do you want the Devs to do?
To stop requiring us to always bring our tamers to EM events to be successful. 60+ hp damage is much more easily handled by a g-dragon with 1,000+ hps than by my melee or caster that are both just shy of 150 hps. The g-dragon also gets higher resists and can cast w/out being interrupted.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To stop requiring us to always bring our tamers to EM events to be successful. 60+ hp damage is much more easily handled by a g-dragon with 1,000+ hps than by my melee or caster that are both just shy of 150 hps. The g-dragon also gets higher resists and can cast w/out being interrupted.

Well, the Devs cant do anything concerning an EM event. I also logged in today and have been killing demons just fine *shrugs*

SlayerofBunnys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So according to Promathia the skin produces the slayer and that's what the code is linked to, I can accept that. But whats confusing people is the corpses they produce, the one we killed in Britain was a crimson dragon corpse at least it was titled as much, used those spells, and definitely had that loot. That's why people are confused.
That explains why I was barely denting it and makes feel a little better. Note to self - stay away from the shadowy enslaved demons that say Ku Ort unless others are present.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Messana is in charge of the EM's. What template were you using? Tamer or what?
Using a dexxer. The regular ones are reaaaaally easy (IE the ones that give the Hydra corpse). The red ones are Crimson Dragon at its base, so those DO require some teamwork (Or alot of kiting)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
What you're both saying has been contradicted by past events, and not just this latest one. The creature's underlying properties -- which are what determine if it's of a class susceptible to a slayer -- can easily be made separate from its artwork. Haven't you ever dealt with talking dragons, or the killer bunny?

Perhaps you should start reading what I wrote. I never said EMs have the power to "change" a slayer. But the slayer properties are determined by what the monster is spawned as, and a monster's appearance does not necessarily indicate what it is underneath. A monster's slayer and super slayer classes, if it belongs to any, are simply a number. Those numbers are not hard-tied to the monster's artwork, which itself is just another number.

I've been doing events for 16 years, and I've seen all kinds of "custom" work, yet I don't lord my year-count over yours.

As I said, they aren't necessarily hard-linked. It's generally the case, but neither of you can still explain the "hydra" corpse. That's what shows the monster's underlying properties, not appearance. I don't know if this "hydra" was intentional, but that's what was observed.
Why do you keep bringing up the hydra corpse? I explained that in my post. No matter what name the "corpse" says, it is the graphic that is the slayer. It's not confusing. It's pretty basic. The slayer it is is the body it looks like. No matter what the corpse says it is after it is dead.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What? lol

The EM used the Hydra as the base monster/template. He then changed it to look like a demon to fit the storyline. Since the slayer goes by what it "looks" like, the monster is a demon slayer.

Its perfectly explained, and I am not really sure what you arent grasping.
You have some inside knowledge the rest of us don't have? You personally know the EM well enough to know what was done?

If a hydra was used, then it was reptilian class and vulnerable to that slayer type. Like I keep telling you, artwork is just a number. It isn't necessarily what a monster is underneath. That's why we've had things like an EM playing a talking dragon, which wasn't vulnerable to a dragon or reptile slayer. What matters is the monster's underlying properties, not the artwork code that the monster calls up.

My explanation explains the norm but also anomalies. Yours does not. A good theory needs to fit all facts and observations, and if it can't explain one detail (no matter how "minute" a troll may say it is), then the theory cannot be correct.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I play Catskills, and had no idea of such an invasion.....

That's why I do not like Shard specific Events and prefer way, but WAY much more global Events across all shards. The shard specific Events are usually not much known or advertised, are way but WAY too short lived because they depend on the Event GM time which is usually limited and, therefore, leave out of the Event far more players than those who actually participate to it.... Of course, if one asks to those who participated, they are happy because their chances at a multi-millionary item drop are increased as less participants=higher chances.....
There are benefits to showing up for the [announced] EM events, including the governor's meetings.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have some inside knowledge the rest of us don't have? You personally know the EM well enough to know what was done?

If a hydra was used, then it was reptilian class and vulnerable to that slayer type. Like I keep telling you, artwork is just a number. It isn't necessarily what a monster is underneath. That's why we've had things like an EM playing a talking dragon, which wasn't vulnerable to a dragon or reptile slayer.

Are you for real or just trolling me?

The only dragon graphic that doesnt work with a slayer, is if it was a Crimson Dragon/Platinum Dragon graphic. And I know a Hydra was used as the base mob because 1. Its noise, 2. the moveset 3. the corpse name/EOO Name. The GRAPHIC is a Demon, hence DEMON SLAYER works and NOT Reptile.

I also, ya know, have been DOING the event/invasion.....So ya

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do you keep bringing up the hydra corpse? I explained that in my post. No matter what name the "corpse" says, it is the graphic that is the slayer. It's not confusing. It's pretty basic. The slayer it is is the body it looks like. No matter what the corpse says it is after it is dead.
I bring up the corpse because your notion doesn't fit what was observed.

Appearance is just a number. It isn't what a monster necessarily is underneath. On the client side, I can make a lich look like a dread spider. That doesn't change what slayer affects it.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The only dragon graphic that doesnt work with a slayer, is if it was a Crimson Dragon/Platinum Dragon graphic. And I know a Hydra was used as the base mob because 1. Its noise, 2. the moveset 3. the corpse name/EOO Name. The GRAPHIC is a Demon, hence DEMON SLAYER works and NOT Reptile.

I never troll. I get trolled, but I do not stoop to that level.

As I asked, do you have some inside information? You still cannot explain what was observed: a monster that wasn't affected by the slayer, then turned out to be a hydra. My explanation fits that (and many events I've done in the past) as well as the norm. Your explanation does not.

And I've been doing events -- custom monsters as well as set monster waves -- since long before you created your first character. So what? Want to see my original Gendragon bracelet or corroded manacles? (I'll add that they're event originals and not duped.)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I never troll. I get trolled, but I do not stoop to that level.

As I asked, do you have some inside information? You still cannot explain what was observed: a monster that wasn't affected by the slayer, then turned out to be a hydra. My explanation fits that (and many events I've done in the past) as well as the norm. Your explanation does not.

And I've been doing events -- custom monsters as well as set monster waves -- since long before you created your first character. So what? Want to see my original Gendragon bracelet or corroded manacles? (I'll add that they're event originals and not duped.)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
@The Zog historian no one is trying to pick a fight with you, quite the opposite we are trying to share our knowledge through experience with those who perhaps haven't experienced renamed MOBS several times a week monthly as we have.
When you do EM events as often as Promathia and I do, you learn these things. There is almost always, if not always, monsters with one "look" and another "corpse name"/special powers etc. It is frequently (multiple times a week on different shards throughout UO) the case that an EM will create monsters that fit a specific story-line but do not have the proper "look" so the EM will often make a hydra, or often used are the Doom bosses, and "look" like something else for story purposes, but it still retains its corpse name upon death and keeps all of it's special moves.
We have learned that it is always the way the monster looks that dictates what slayer weapon we should use. I myself learned this the hard way before I started earning looting rights and getting event items.
Yes, it retains the corpse name when killed. Yes, it retains it's loot table when it is killed. Yes, it still uses all the special names of the MOB selected. All of this is true. What is also true is you can know what slayer to use by knowing what the monsters look like. If it looks like a demon it is a demon slayer. If it looks like a orc it is an orc slayer. If it looks like a elemental, it is an elemental slayer. No matter what the corpse says it was, no matter what the loot is, no matter what special moves it happens to be using.
There should be no further discussion other than to say "oh cool thank you Promathia and Flutter, you've helped us learn what slayer to use, that's easy to remember!"

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
@The Zog historian no one is trying to pick a fight with you, quite the opposite we are trying to share our knowledge through experience with those who perhaps haven't experienced renamed MOBS several times a week monthly as we have.
When you do EM events as often as Promathia and I do, you learn these things. There is almost always, if not always, monsters with one "look" and another "corpse name"/special powers etc. It is frequently (multiple times a week on different shards throughout UO) the case that an EM will create monsters that fit a specific story-line but do not have the proper "look" so the EM will often make a hydra, or often used are the Doom bosses, and "look" like something else for story purposes, but it still retains its corpse name upon death and keeps all of it's special moves.
We have learned that it is always the way the monster looks that dictates what slayer weapon we should use. I myself learned this the hard way before I started earning looting rights and getting event items.
Yes, it retains the corpse name when killed. Yes, it retains it's loot table when it is killed. Yes, it still uses all the special moves of the MOB selected. All of this is true. What is also true is you can know what slayer to use by knowing what the monsters look like. If it looks like a demon it is a demon slayer. If it looks like a orc it is an orc slayer. If it looks like a elemental, it is an elemental slayer. No matter what the corpse says it was, no matter what the loot is, no matter what special moves it happens to be using.
There should be no further discussion other than to say "oh cool thank you Promathia and Flutter, you've helped us learn what slayer to use, that's easy to remember!"

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, yes it does.
Now it's my turn to ask: are you being serious?

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about. Changing appearance on the client side means editing bodyconv.def, which you could change all day yet not affect what a monster really is. Appearance is just a number. It is not hard-linked to a monster's actual properties.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, it retains the corpse name when killed. Yes, it retains it's loot table when it is killed. Yes, it still uses all the special names of the MOB selected. All of this is true. What is also true is you can know what slayer to use by knowing what the monsters look like. If it looks like a demon it is a demon slayer. If it looks like a orc it is an orc slayer. If it looks like a elemental, it is an elemental slayer. No matter what the corpse says it was, no matter what the loot is, no matter what special moves it happens to be using.
Very well said. With this post, ill just end my involvement in this discussion.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And I never said either of you is trying to pick a fight with me.

As I asked Promathia, but I got no reply: you have some inside information the rest of us don't have?

"Always" is not the case. Generally, yes, but not every last time. Appearance is just a number, not necessarily tied inextricably to a monster's underlying properties. That also applies to loot. A huge, extra-tough event creature could have no loot at all.

In general, the type of slayer is obvious. You don't need to pat yourself on the back for "If it looks like an elemental then use an elemental slayer" that most people already figure out on their own. But we've had an anomalous creature that your standard model does not explain. Either it was intentional, or it was an error.

Read again what I wrote about a good theory needing to fit all facts and observations.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But we've had an anomalous creature that your standard model does not explain. Either it was intentional, or it was an error.
Ugh why do I come back. What creature are you referring to because it wasn't the demons on catskills.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ugh why do I come back. What creature are you referring to because it wasn't the demons on catskills.
http://stratics.com/community/threads/my-thoughts-on-the-vesper-invasion.314502/#post-2378806

"Part of the problem is that some of the 'demons' aren't even demons. I was being attacked by an enslaved demon which had a daemon graphic, hit like a bone demon, but when it finally died, the corpse said hydra. I bet that plays havoc with slayers for determining damage and it causes the players to have to treat everything as a paragon greater dragon until proven differently."

And as Galen said,

http://stratics.com/community/threads/my-thoughts-on-the-vesper-invasion.314502/#post-2378832

"Most of the time. But not 100%, not at EM events. Graphic is your first choice, though."

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
http://stratics.com/community/threads/my-thoughts-on-the-vesper-invasion.314502/#post-2378806

"Part of the problem is that some of the 'demons' aren't even demons. I was being attacked by an enslaved demon which had a daemon graphic, hit like a bone demon, but when it finally died, the corpse said hydra. I bet that plays havoc with slayers for determining damage and it causes the players to have to treat everything as a paragon greater dragon until proven differently."

And as Galen said,

http://stratics.com/community/threads/my-thoughts-on-the-vesper-invasion.314502/#post-2378832

"Most of the time. But not 100%, not at EM events. Graphic is your first choice, though."
The first quote doesnt even say that they even USED a demon slayer. I also WAS THERE, and demon slayer works just like it should.

Galen also has no examples of a monster whose slayer didnt "work" like the way I describe.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the same monster? Then explain the hydra corpse. As I said, appearance is just a number -- just a "skin" -- and what counts is what the monster is underneath. My explanation accounts for everything. Yours doesn't.

And nothing further from you on your clear misunderstanding of changing client art having no effect on what the monster is?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
And I never said either of you is trying to pick a fight with me.

As I asked Promathia, but I got no reply: you have some inside information the rest of us don't have?
Experience the rest of you don't. We do EM events on every shard and have experienced this phenomina practically daily for ... years now.

"Always" is not the case. Generally, yes, but not every last time. Appearance is just a number, not necessarily tied inextricably to a monster's underlying properties. That also applies to loot. A huge, extra-tough event creature could have no loot at all.
Always is the case in this case.

In general, the type of slayer is obvious. You don't need to pat yourself on the back for "If it looks like an elemental then use an elemental slayer" that most people already figure out on their own. But we've had an anomalous creature that your standard model does not explain. Either it was intentional, or it was an error.

Read again what I wrote about a good theory needing to fit all facts and observations.
There's no such thing as an anomalous creature. There are only so many creatures in the game. The EMs are unable to create anything that doesn't already exist, they can however mix and match. Either way the slayer will be the "skin" the monster is wearing every time.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And your explanation does not fit all cases. I've asked you very easy, very sincere questions. You won't answer them, particularly the one about whether you have inside information the rest of us don't, insofar as how monsters are spawned.

This part of the thread said it all, I suppose.

Me: On the client side, I can make a lich look like a dread spider. That doesn't change what slayer affects it.
You: Yes, yes it does.

And you really think that?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Experience the rest of you don't. We do EM events on every shard and have experienced this phenomina practically daily for ... years now.

Always is the case in this case.
"Every" and "always" are terms to be used with care. As has been observed, no, not "always."

There's no such thing as an anomalous creature. There are only so many creatures in the game. The EMs are unable to create anything that doesn't already exist, they can however mix and match. Either way the slayer will be the "skin" the monster is wearing every time.
Actually, there are many different combinations. There can be standard monsters, based on existing templates, like this Catskills invasion from 2004:

orcbrutes.png

But there are also custom jobs like these, from 2010 and 2011. Do you know why the ogre corpse had that name? It's a matter of cliloc: the name wasn't available on the client side. It was a custom monster that merely used the ogre artwork.

Rabbit of Caerbannog.png
cliloc.png

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
At this point I am going to assume you're trolling. I am just repeating the same answers to your questions over and over again.
People don't want to hear me repeat myself I'm sure, and I've already repeated myself enough times with enough examples that I am pretty sure everyone who wants an answer will understand.

You sir, may continue to believe that you are "right" and we are "wrong". There's nothing I can say to prove to you otherwise, but I have no idea why you'd bother to argue.
I have simply said that this is the way it is. I have done enough events, seen an event full of demon types visually but had corpses of impalers, flesh renderers, abyssmal horrors, travesty, shimmering effusion.
It's a normal regular occurrence on every shard. How do I know? As I answered several times... experience. Multiple characters. Multiple accounts. Multiple EM events weekly.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not trolling, and I resent the accusation. Are you trying to goad me?

I'm pointing out that your notion "skin is slayer" is not the "always" you claim it to be. "Almost always," sure, who'd have a problem with that? But "always" -- no. I don't know how many times I must explain that, and I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept that someone has experienced something you didn't. You can claim all the "experience" you want, but you haven't experienced every occurrence, and any halfway decent scientist would point out that the experiences therefore don't count. If you remembered the scientific method, you'd know that one individual's singular experience throws everything out the window.

Explain the hydra. Explain my screenshots, where what mattered was only what a monster was underneath. I already said that with UO's flexibility, a monster can be whatever is desired, with whatever appearance.

As for me, I've done enough events over 16 years to know how the game works.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@GalenKnighthawke Galen, you really are wrong. Name an event where the graphic didn't = the slayer. Or name that monster where it SHOULD have been a slayer and wasn't. Thats right, you cant.
You have repeated successfully something I believe I openly stated -- that I never wrote down or kept a log of these kinds of things at these events. If I did not openly admit such, it was an oversight, and I'll openly admit it now.

I'm usually focused on the storyline and advancing the cause of the group. And no I'm not going to start keeping a record in order to disprove an extraordinary claim made by someone who's shown no obvious sign of having as much faith in facts as in himself.

You are the one making the extraordinary claim. Realistically, the burden of proof is on you. All you had to do was say "most of the time" or "usually" or "almost always" or the like and your claim could not have been exploded by one memory, let alone more than one.

*shrugs* Oh well.

-Galen's player

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's another example, another 2010 event. I was running a lot and didn't get a screenshot of the monsters themselves, dark blue-black balrons. After dexxers found our demon slayers weren't doing any better than regular weapons, I brought my tamer for a minute to see just what kind of stats they had. They were straight 80s.

Guess what, they were another custom job. That's the great thing about UO. It could look like a rabbit but have twice the strength of a Dark Father. What matters is the monster's properties underneath. Strength, hit points, and even slayer class are just numbers. Artwork is also just a number, telling the client what to show. That's how games are designed. It's a poorly programmed game to have things hard-linked as you think.

Daemon Hunter 1.png

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Zog, I know how the game works, I don't need a lesson from you. I know what they are capable of, but it doesn't change the fact that our slayers work depending on the graphic of the monster.

It could be a hydra base, with added rikktor earthquake, maybe some acid from grizzle and medusa's stone effect, at the end of the day if it is made to LOOK like a demon, it is a demon slayer. That is how it works, and that is how every EM event I have gone to has worked.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I don't think my posts are even being read.

I promise you, Promathia as well as myself would not have posted false information and are only trying to help those interested in the information that we know to be true.
I can't imagine posting something while trying to be helpful and getting this sort of a response.
I'm out. I've done my best. Use whatever slayer you feel is right.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And I keep telling you, sure, almost always, but not necessarily. Your explanation does not account for this single event. It's simple scientific reasoning.

Slayer class is just another attribute. It isn't hard-linked to appearance.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think my posts are even being read.

I promise you, Promathia as well as myself would not have posted false information and are only trying to help those interested in the information that we know to be true.
I can't imagine posting something while trying to be helpful and getting this sort of a response.
I'm out. I've done my best. Use whatever slayer you feel is right.
I do people the courtesy of reading every word of every post I reply to. And you completely misunderstand my motive here.

Yes, most of the time appearance will tell us what slayer to use. Anything else wouldn't be nice, would it? But we had an anomaly, either a mistake, or something intentional (perhaps so a dexxer wouldn't have an advantage). And I've been to events where there was no slayer, because the monster's underlying properties didn't put it in a slayer class.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its confusing. That was one of the biggest mistakes people made at events, when damage mattered. Not equiping the right slayer fast enough. Its definitely the skin graphic, NOT the corpse type that determines the slayer type. Remember that not all slayer types are what you would think, like Crimson Dragons have No slayer, while most would assume they would be a dragon slayer.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and i dont get into worthless arguments, but everything Zog said in this thread is flat out wrong. anyone who pays careful attention to EM events knows this. Yes a crimson dragon base can appear as a ogre skin, but then the slayer is the ogre. not other way around.

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meh, another Huge unstoppable Mob spawn Event!! (Patent pending.) Nothing new here.

I am with you Dag, would be nice if everytime they threw an invasion it did not have to have every tamer on the shard show up to quell it. I fought one of the demons for a good 20 minutes in Yew last night, and all it did was heal to full and blast away at me. I finally threw in the towel and went to Lotro for some PVP.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasn't having any problem killing them at all on my Necro/Archer with a Demon Slayer.

MareJadeSky

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just so you all know it was back in vesper last nite ans the SLAYER BOOK were not working you need pets lot or archer and mage to help heal