• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My thoughts on the Vesper Invasion

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"No one"? Really? Well, amiga,

It was as clear as crystal what I meant. Promathia even asked what shard so he could test it himself. Now how would that be possible unless he and I were both EMs?
I asked you what shard, because I assumed you found monsters an EM had changed. I wanted to test my slayer on them because I would not have thought in a million years you meant editing your own art files.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
It obviously wasn't "crystal clear" what you meant. I assure you. There's no need to keep posting the same quotes over and over.
No one thought that you were talking about changing the graphics just for you in your files, hell, I don't even know if that's legal.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No one is dumb enough to believe that if you changed your art files so that everything in your game was a deamon so you could just carry your demon slayer around.
Why would anyone even THINK that?
The topic of this thread was at an EM event a monster died that looked like a demon and had a hydra corpse. This monster. Made by an EM.
When you said something about changing the skin we assumed you meant as an EM or Dev because YOU AS A PLAYER CANNOT CHANGE THE SKIN FOR EVERYONE.
Have mercy.
And by the way, my explanation still fits why something looked like a daemon, but inexplicably wasn't affected by the slayer, and died as a hydra. It's really not hard. You don't have to have experience in programming video games to "get" the concept of a monster being just a lot of separate numbers, any of which can be changed individually.

So I'll ask again: why stop, because you just can't accept the game is more flexible than you think, or is it because you've violated the RoC you're supposed to be upholding? Because Promathia said something and wishes he could take it back? Because Smoot is trolling me?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Promathia even asked what shard so he could test it himself. Now how would that be possible unless he and I were both EMs?
Actually Promathia even asked around to find out what shard had the EM event monsters you were talking about because he really did believe you were talking about EM CREATED MOBS. No one EVER believed that you were talking about changing your monster graphic on your computer just for you.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I asked you what shard, because I assumed you found monsters an EM had changed. I wanted to test my slayer on them because I would not have thought in a million years you meant editing your own art files.
And what could I possibly have meant when I wrote this?

Appearance is just a number. It isn't what a monster necessarily is underneath. On the client side, I can make a lich look like a dread spider. That doesn't change what slayer affects it.
Client side, client side, couldn't I have been more clear?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It obviously wasn't "crystal clear" what you meant. I assure you. There's no need to keep posting the same quotes over and over.
No one thought that you were talking about changing the graphics just for you in your files, hell, I don't even know if that's legal.
It's actually very legal, since it's just artwork. Some of us have been doing it for years. For a time, the red daemons defaulted to skinny red versions of the balrons. It was easy to change them back to the original "gym rat" look.

Now seriously, how could this not have been crystal clear?

Appearance is just a number. It isn't what a monster necessarily is underneath. On the client side, I can make a lich look like a dread spider. That doesn't change what slayer affects it.
Client side. Elsewhere I even mentioned bodyconv.def. What more did I have to say?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Modifying the client and/or files? Right, not at all.
In fact, it's not modifying the client at all. Do you even know what I did? It's no different than changing uo.cfg to give a bigger circle of transparency than the game allows. (Bet you didn't know that could be done.)

You're grasping at straws.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I haven't broken the RoC yet, and I am trying very hard not to. But seriously buddy no one is stupid enough to believe that if you changed something on your own personal computer (again I believe is illegal) that it would change anything in the game itself. So why, oh why, would any of us been arguing that point. The point of the thread is that EM created monsters will always have the slayer of the skin that the EM chose. This is a universal thing among EMs.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
In fact, it's not modifying the client at all. Do you even know what I did? It's no different than changing uo.cfg to give a bigger circle of transparency than the game allows. (Bet you didn't know that could be done.)

You're grasping at straws.
It's illegal. That's why you can't change the field graphics in PvP. It is why people to this day complain about the size of the greater dragons at events blocking the MOB making it harder for people to grab the health bar. If it were legal everyone would have Greater Dragon graphics as chickens.
The fact that that was what you were talking about NEVER CROSSED OUR MINDS.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's illegal. That's why you can't change the field graphics in PvP. It is why people to this day complain about the size of the greater dragons at events blocking the MOB making it harder for people to grab the health bar. If it were legal everyone would have Greater Dragon graphics as chickens.
The fact that that was what you were talking about NEVER CROSSED OUR MINDS.
Modifying field graphics, trees into stumps, and the like, is illegal. Bodyconv.def is not illegal. That's simply telling the game to show a monster as something else, no different than having UOA show your character as something else.

Actually, you've hit upon a good idea for players. Though not many have the proficiency to make the edit, and it can easily affect being able to get the next patch, it's pretty good. Don't you feel better about being helpful instead of calling me names?

And clearly someone thought I was talking about something I wasn't:

Yes, yes it does.
Too bad it's too big for a sig.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Explain how you modified it without touching the art files or used a program that either: a.) does it for you or b.) uses dll injection.
It's called...notepad.exe, the same thing I use with uo.cfg.

DLL injection, bah. You were already grasping at straws.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Modifying field graphics, trees into stumps, and the like, is illegal. Bodyconv.def is not illegal. That's simply telling the game to show a monster as something else, no different than having UOA show your character as something else.

Actually, you've hit upon a good idea for players. Though not many have the proficiency to make the edit, and it can easily affect being able to get the next patch, it's pretty good. Don't you feel better about being helpful instead of calling me names?

And clearly someone thought I was talking about something I wasn't:

Too bad it's too big for a sig.

Yea yea, my bad for assuming you were staying on topic. I didn't think you would be arguing over you changing just your own files.

I mean, **** me for trying to help confused Catskills players.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Don't you feel better about being helpful instead of calling me names?

I never called you names.

It is illegal. I don't see a difference between changing a para field into a pile and changing a greater dragon into a chicken. It's illegal. I don't know why it's illegal, but it is.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea yea, my bad for assuming you were staying on topic. I didn't think you would be arguing over you changing just your own files.

I mean, **** me for trying to help confused Catskills players.
You didn't have to assume. Clearly I was on topic until you and others wanted to be contrarian. Like I said, Galen and I said from the start, sure, appearance will almost dictate slayer, but what about this particular anomalous monster?

I was not the one "arguing" over editing readily editable game configuration files, but someone (whose sock puppet, I wonder?) who wanted to grasp at straws.

Anything else?

Yes, yes it does.
It's really too bad it's too large for a sig.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never called you names.
You wrote: "Says the guy making the most asinine posts I've ever read on stratics."

Oh, so you're just calling my posts names, not me. Is that your plausible deniability?

And what do you suppose you'd have clamored for had I said anything of the kind to you, hmm?

It is illegal. I don't see a difference between changing a para field into a pile and changing a greater dragon into a chicken. It's illegal. I don't know why it's illegal, but it is.
Do you not see the lack of logic in your statement? There's no comparison with "changing a para field into a pile," whatever you meant by that. Some new exploit I haven't seen yet?

The daemon remained a daemon, no matter what its appearance became. It isn't changing it for other players. If it's illegal, then so is UOA's "View As" ability.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who cares about changing your own art files, this was NEVER about that.

The thread was about the Demon Invasion on Catskills. Players were confused that the monsters (To everyone, not just yourself) looked like Demons but left Hydra corpses. I explained that this is common for an EM event, and that the slayer they want to use is going to be connected to what the EM monster looks like. This is 100% true for any EM event in existence.

If you are editing your own files so monsters look like something else, then it is your own damned fault that you cant find the slayer you are supposed to use.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and once again, zog make a simple question a mindf*** jibber jabber quote wall of doom.

The original question was answered in the first few posts.

The Demons on Catskills had "hydra" as a corspse. They are vulnerable to Demon slayer. EMs do this alot, changing monster types/skins. Its the skin thats the slayer.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

The thread was about the Demon Invasion on Catskills. Players were confused that the monsters (To everyone, not just yourself) looked like Demons but left Hydra corpses. I explained that this is common for an EM event, and that the slayer they want to use is going to be connected to what the EM monster looks like. This is 100% true for any EM event in existence.

If you are editing your own files so monsters look like something else, then it is your own damned fault that you cant find the slayer you are supposed to use.
This.

T

Tazar

You didn't have to assume. Clearly I was on topic until you and others wanted to be contrarian. Like I said, Galen and I said from the start, sure, appearance will almost dictate slayer, but what about this particular anomalous monster?

I was not the one "arguing" over editing readily editable game configuration files, but someone (whose sock puppet, I wonder?) who wanted to grasp at straws.

Anything else?

It's really too bad it's too large for a sig.
The "modifications" that you are discussing is illegal under the UO Rules of Conduct.

Item #10 -You may not modify any part of the Ultima Online service, Ultima Online code, or Ultima Online web site that Electronic Arts does not specifically authorize you to modify.

It is that simple. As it is against the Ultima Online ROC - it is also against ours. Please do not continue the discussion of illegal editing of files on the Stratics Forums.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you know this Promathia guy? He didn't know that. Because I posted,

And then he replied,

Yes, yes it does.
So maybe you should talk to this Promathia guy and straighten him out on what I was talking about.

And as I've explained, as I've demonstrated with screenshots, it's not. That's because game mechanics allow for a monster to be customized such that slayer and skin are separate. Normally they'll be linked, and properly so, in order for players to know what slayers to use. But clearly there was at least one anomalous creature, and for some reason, you just want to be contrary to me despite my logical explanation.

So explain the ogre that died here. Why the corpse name when it should have been an ogre?

That's a non sequitur. The point was to prove that regardless of the artwork called up, the monster remained what it was underneath.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

Maybe that corpse name came out that way because you mess with your files too much lol

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Anyhow, I just want to note to anyone still reading this poor thread...
EMs cannot change the slayer-type of a monster. It's not in their abilities.
What they can do is take different abilities of different MOBs and give them to whatever suits their needs then dress the MOB up in whatever costume fits for the event he or she is having.
That outer layer, what the MOB looks like will ALWAYS be the MOBs slayer type. This will help a lot in being able to get EM rewards. Especially with the latest changes to how they are distributed.
I honestly (cannot speak factually so this is my guess) think they do this on purpose to help us out since if you use the wrong slayer it can literally take hours to kill some of those suckers.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can We get This thread Locked, I think we've settled Skin=Slayer unless you're insane and decide to dig into your client files. This has turned into a fight that doesn't need to happen.