• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mining FAQ (Last updated: 06 MAY 2006)

• Thread starter Crafters-Inc.
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crafters-Inc.

(Smith BOD reward, and also found as loot on most Gargoyle types, on about 5-10% of gargoyles killed)

Gargoyle pickaxes are magical tools as well. They allow you to mine ore colors one class better than you normally could at a mining site - this includes mining an ore type one could not normally mine yet with your actual mining skill. If used in conjunction with a prospector's tool, this can allow up to a two-step improvement in ore type (but still at that maximum of one type better than you could with a normal tool). They can be wielded as a weapon, but the smart miner will use them from inside their backpack, and wield an earth elemental slayer in their hand.

Examples: With 83 mining skill -
Can get Gold ore from a bronze spot, by using the Gargoyle Pickaxe
Can get Gold ore from a copper spot, by first elevating the spot with a Prospector's tool, then using the Gargoyle Pickaxe.

Note that the skill level above could not elevate bronze to gold with the Prospector's tool, then to Agapite with the gargoyle Pickaxe, as the Prospector's Tool only works if you can smelt the new type with your current skill. Nor can you get dull copper ore from digging an Iron-ore-only site with a Gargoyle Pickaxe. As you may not be able to smelt the ore you mine, one must be careful as where to use it (unless you intentionally are stockpiling ore for later use).

Another nice feature of gargoyle pickaxes is that they start out with 101 to 125 uses, unlike normal tools (that start out with 50) or exceptionally crafted tools (which have 100 at GM tinkering). Only the "Sturdy Tool" rewards have more uses on production shards, at 150 or 200 when new. And, like all other mining tools, if you fail to dig up a piece of ore, no "uses" are lost.

But as with all things good, there is also a (magical) disadvantage or danger! There is a chance that you will pull up an ore elemental of the color you are extracting, hence the need for a miner with any combat skill to be wielding an Earth Elemental Slayer. All types that spawn from gargoyle pickaxe use are susceptible to the standard Earth elemental slayer, or the Elemental super-slayer. These dangerous monsters range from fairly easy (shadow iron & verite elementals) to very very hard (valorite elementals).

Ore elementals spawn right next to the miner and usually attack him first, though on rare occasions a nearby pack animal or mount will be targeted first. Upon death they carry 25 ore of their color as loot, which is especially rewarding with the valorite elementals. Some miners specifically dig with just gargoyle pickaxes, in order to get the elementals.

Note that if you can't mine the normal ore of a spot (say, using a gargoyle pickaxe on an agapite ore spot, while only able to mine bronze), all your ore mined will be iron, but you STILL can end up spawning an elemental of the type that the ore vein would spawn (in this example, a verite elemental). This ability seems to kick in only once the miner gains the ability to dig dull copper normally, as repeated tests with a sub-65 miner resulted in no elementals, while numerous ones spawned for a 65 mining skill miner, mining WAY out of league, and getting only iron and the ore from the elementals to show for it.

Another interesting feature is that you can use a gargoyle pickaxe on a Valorite spot, and get valorite elementals (since there is no higher ore type to elevate to). This method, if one can mine valorite, greatly increases your valorite haul.

Common strategies for these tools:

1. Playing it safe: using normal tools with the Prospector's tool only. The only danger are miner-killers in fel, and normal monster spawn everywhere.

2. The Fearless Elemental Hunter: Mines mostly in the "safe" facets, and is typically a warrior (or paladin) with mining. Uses gargoyle picks almost exclusively (the only exception is when they HAVE to get Dull Copper ore for some reason), tweaking it with the prospector's tool as needed for the ore types desired. Typically is armed with a good Earth elemental slayer someone priced really cheap (or made by their own smith), a high-resist suit, and an ample supply of bandages (if they have healing) or mana (for healing spells and special weapons moves).

2.a. The PARAGON Elemental Hunter: A variant of the above, it is growing in popularity, thanks to the exploits of the Midnight Hunters Club guild of Lake Austin. These are miners who fit the description of 2. above, but do their mining IN ILSHENAR, purposefully trying to bring up paragon elementals, and the very, very rare ore elemental paragon chests they have the potential to carry. With these types of hunts, it might be advisable to bring along a melee warrior friend (As spells and pets don't work too well, if at all, on some of the elementals even when normal - let alone as paragons).

3. The Townie: Similar to #2 above, but with less combat skill. The Townie will typically mine in a guard zone (Umbra, Delucia), and try to kill elementals. But, if the elemental is too tough for them, then they can scream for the guards.

4. The Bane of Macroers. Typically mines Felucca. Uses their gargoyle pick when they are near an area frequented by persons using unattended macro mining scripts. When a Macroer arrives, they attempt to spawn an elemental, then immediately leaves to let the elemental have its way with the bot. Perfectly legal in Felluca, but illegal elsewhere (not that it's stopped persons sick of macroers from doing it anyway).

C

Crafters-Inc.

As a BOD Reward from Blacksmithing, you can recieve one of three types of Mining Gloves. These have the ability to raise your mining skill by the points listed on the Gloves.

Leather Gloves of Mining +1
Studded Leather Gloves of Mining +3
Ringmail Gloves of Mining +5

These can be used even at GM Mining to get over 100 Skill to assist your success rates in smelting. The +5 Gloves would result in an extra 10% to smelt Valorite. The Gloves can also be used to reach the next level of Ore you want to mine a little quicker.

Note: I tested the Mining Gloves by putting on +5 Gloves at 95.0 Mining Skill and was able to read the Mining Sand and Stone Books as described next!

C

Crafters-Inc.

Sturdy Shovels and Stury Pick Axes are BOD rewards from the Blacksmithy Bulk Order Deed (BOD) System.

The advantage to carrying these around are that they have an enhanced number of uses to them over regular or exceptional tools of the same type. The number of uses for a Sturdy tool is either 150 or 200!

Regular Character created shovels / Pick Axes come with 50 uses.

Exceptional Character created shovels / Pick Axes come with 100 uses.

Shovels wheigh 5 Stones each.

Pick Axes weigh 11 Stones each.

C

Crafters-Inc.

Once you reach 100 Mining Skill, (Either real or by using the Mining Gloves), you can read a book that gives you the ability to Mine Stone.

The Book is available in Gargoyle City in Ilshenar for about 10k and on some player Vendors.

Once you have read the book, and you have 100 Mining Skill or greater, an option becomes available on your Shovels and Pick Axes to Mine for Ore only, or to mine for Ore and Stone!

More information on Mining for Stone can be found here: Mining

Once you have read the book, when you mine, you have a chance to pull up a Piece of High Quality Granite in the color of the Ore you are mining. This Ore can be used by a Carpenter using a special tool and that has read another Book, (Both obtained in Gargoyle City for about the same price, The tools are about 10-12 Gold), called "Making Valuables With Stonecrafting". More information on Stone Crafting can be found here: Stone Crafting

C

Crafters-Inc.

Once you reach 100 Mining Skill, (Either real skill or by using the Mining Gloves), you can read a book that gives you the ability to Mine Sand.

The Book is available in Gargoyle City in Ilshenar for about 10k and on some player Vendors.

Sand can be dug up from almost any Sandy Area including Beaches and Deserts. Sand can be used by a GM Alchemist that uses a special tool and has read another book called "Crafting Glass with Glassblowing", (Both obtained in Gargoyle City for about the same price, The tools are about 10-12 Gold).

More information on Mining for Sand can be found here: Glassblowing

C

Crafters-Inc.

Yes, you can use a Bag of Sending (BoS) to send your Ore to the Bank.

Note: You can only send things with the BoS that are in your pack. It would really be bennificial to maximize the use of your BoS by paying attention to your weight limit, the Ore pile sizes and or smelting Ore to ingots first.

For example, say you can typically carry 16 large Ore. If you combine this Ore down to the smaller pile size you would be able to send back more Ore at one time!

The best use for the BoS is to take your Fire Beetle along with you and smelt your Ore into Ingots as you go, You can carry ALOT more ingots with you than Ore and will Optimize your use of the BoS. Also, once you get back to the Bank, all of your Ore will already be smelted into Ingots, instead of having to drag the Ore around to a Forge.

C

Crafters-Inc.

The best way to kill them is with a GM archer and a good and heavy bow or X-Bow. The better your skills and the better your bow the faster you will kill them. As an archer you benefit from not getting into melee range and so you suffer only half the damage that the Valorite Elemental can cause. You only get hit by the gas attacks and whenever you need time to heal you can get out of range quickly and easily.

The second best way would be a multi GM fighter with as heavy a melee weapon as you can lay hands on. A good magical helbard for example. The general principle is to only get into melee range for one hit and then run right out of range again, until your weapon swing timer resets for the next round. That way you take minimal damage yourself. You should run far enough to be out of spell range as well, so you can heal efficiently. Using a heavy weapon makes sure that with each run through the Valorite Elemental you really hurt it good. Be aware that the combination of a melee hit from the Val Ele with a gas atatck can do up to 80 damage, so be prepared to take that and do some serious healing after a hit-run.

Finally, another suggestion to the Minors Forum, specifically as it relates to fighting a Paragon Elemental is to lure it over to the Meer City of Lakeshire and let htem soften it up for you!

C

Crafters-Inc.

There are a number of ways in which you can show respect for your fellow miner. If you want to make friends you should follow these rules that form the miners code of ethics:

1. Don't Steal other Miners Ore even if they leave it on the ground, if you find some ore on the ground ask around even if you don't see anyone before taking it. There is a high chance a miner is hiding or stealthing. Reasons for leaving ore on the ground will be explained in Advanced Mining Methods chapter. One day you might be using the same method and you dont want to see YOUR ore stolen than, do you ?

2. Don't Mine the same resource square (spot) as another miner, this seen as being impolite.

3. Don't deprive Fellow miners of a spare shovel or tinkers Kit, This should extend to one or two, rather than a full supply, but that's your choice after the first one. Be friendly and generous, one day it might be you who needs something.

4. Don't EVER leave boats blocking access to ore, ie. boat mining spots. This is not only rude behavior, it is also against UO rules and can lead to your boat being deleted by a game master.

5. If sharing a mining location with a Miner more skilled than yourself, be so kind and ask if there are any preferred spots that you could leave untouched, there is nothing worse to a GM Miner than a low level miner mining a Valorite spot (and therefor turning it into iron), in return expect an iron square or squares left for you, or maybe even gain the knowledge of what colors are "hidden" behind those squares (which will be invaluable to you later on).

C

Crafters-Inc.

Script Miners are people that run some sort of script to do all their mining for them, and they usally do it unattended and mostly in Felluca. Script Miners are BAD and are usually considered Kill on Sight if found in Felluca. There is a whole big debate over Script Miners lately and it is beyond this FAQ or my better judgement to say what is right and wrong when it comes to how to handle them. That is a personal decision you will have to mkae if you ever meet one.

The bottom line is that mining is under the same ToS for UO that everything else is. DON'T MACRO UNATTENDED!!!

C

Crafters-Inc.

Racial Abilities

With Mondains Legacy comes the introduction of Elves as a Race to choose when creating a character, or you can complete a quest to become an elf. They also added "Racial Abilities" Unique to Elves and Humans.

As it relates to Mining:

Elves have: "Knowledge of Nature"

The "Official Version"
Elves receive an increase to their chance of acquiring special resources such as colored ore when mining or special boards when lumberjacking.

The way it really works!
Basically, if you are a Human and mining, you will pull up about 10 Gems in an Hour on average. IF you were an Elf, and all other things being equal, you will pull about twice as many gems.

Still working out the "exact" numbers, but this is basically how it works

Humans have: "Strong Back"

"The Official Version"
Humans have an increased carrying capacity above what is determined by their strength.

How it really works!
Basically, Both Elve's and Humans Backpacks have had their weight limits increased to 550 stones, (Hover your cursor over the back pack to see this.), but for a Human, each point in Str will enable you to carry more stones than the equivelant points in Str for an Elf.

JRedBeard and I tested this a little. As a Human, I was able to put about 542 Stones worth of stuff in my pack and was still able to walk around without loosing any stamina. As an Elf, I could put roughly the same weight in my pack, but I was pretty much stuck where I was in that I Could not Move!!!

"Workhorse"

"The Official Version"

Humans have a better chance at finding more resources while gathering hides, ore and lumber.

The way it really works!
Basically, you still get double resources in Fel, single resources everywhere else. HOWEVER, in Tram for instance, if an ore spot normally yeilds 15 Large ore, this benifit will enable you to pull 16.

I have not tested Fel yet myself, but from what I understand, this will NOT yeild 4 ore, but instead, your regular 2 Ore + the bonus 1 Ore from this ability.

Gems

With Mondains Legacy, they added a TON of new resources or special resources anyway that are used with recipies by the various other crafters to create special Weapons and Armor.

According to the "UO Website", Mining produces the following New Gems:

# Blue Diamond
# Fire Ruby
# Perfect Emerald
# Dark Sapphire
# Turquoise
# Ecru Citrine
# White Pearl (Only Found while Fishing!)
# Brilliant Amber (Only found while Lumber Jacking!)

In practice however, on the Mondain's Legacy Beta and on production shards, only the following Gems have been found mining:

# Blue Diamond
# Fire Ruby
# Perfect Emerald
# Dark Sapphire
# Turquoise
# Ecru Citrine

The "White Pearl" is gathered from Fishing.

The "Brilliant Amber" is gathered from Lumberjacking.

More information about the craftables themselves is beyond the scope of this FAQ and can be found on the Stratics Website as the information becomes available.

FACTS: (So far anyway)

1. You MUST be a GM Miner to get Gems.
(Note: You can be at 95.0 or greater and put on mining gloves to raise your skill to 100 or above and you can still get gems. The check for Gems involves your total skill, not your base skill.)

2. You CAN get gems with your Shovel / Pick Axe set to "Ore", or "Ore and Stone". Either one, it doesn't matter.

3. You CAN get Gems from Cave Floors, or Mountain Sides!

4. Ore type does not affect the Gem Type. You can get a Blue Diamond from a Iron spot, or any other kind of Gem from an Iron spot, just as you can get any kind of gem from a Valorite spot also.

5. Gem spots are not fixed! If you find a Blue Diamond from a specific Ore Spot, and come back later, you may pull a Fire Ruby next time. Gems are random in this regard.

Speculation

1. It is still not determined if Luck helps or hinders Gem finding!

Finally, for Lumberjacking, someone did a controled test and found that some of the new ingredients that can be gathered, (From Lumber Jacking anyway) seemed to fall into categories of common to rare. No one did this kind of test from mining, (That I can find), but I will do it myself when ML goes Live and post results. Basically it boiled down to, for example anyway, Blue Diamonds were common so you found more of those than say Dark Saphires.

New Forge & Anvil

While the Anvil is more Blacksmithy related, there is a new Elven Anvil and Forge Available with mondain's Legacy. Both items hold the same properties as regular Forges and Anvils, but have a distinctive Elven look to them.

Talisman's & Special Modifiers!

There are a new item called Talisman's. There are also new modifiers on Weapon's, Armor, and Item's! While no one has as yet identified any modifiers specifically related to mining, it was noted for at least the alchemy skill a percent increase to chance to make items. This is GREAT news. If, for instance, there are modifiers for Mining, they might look like this: 10% Chance for smelting. Meaning that, in addition to the 52% chance to smelt Valorite at 100 skill, you will now have an extra 10%, This in addition to the mining gloves 10% makes smelting Valorite alot more friendly!!!

It was noted that there is a Masonry Bonus on Talisman's. Still looking for a Smelting one!!!

G

WOW !!!!!

what a lot of infor :)
any hope of getting this one sticked ?

*error*
errm you may need to fix the links :p

C

Crafters-Inc.

Which links are messed up?

It was alot of work, especially getting it posted!!! Figured I would screw somethign up! heh

M

_Morgoth_

HiHo Crafters-Inc.,

WOOT, thats one excellent FAQ. Thanks for all the effort you put into this. I really am amazed by the excellent quality and enormous content

The thread is now sticky. I dont want to lock it, because you would then loose the ability to edit the texts as need arises.

One item to consider : on the whole I do think that a unified text version (ie. few large postings instead of many small ones) will work better. With this present way of presenting the FAQ you will probably run into problems whenever you want to change the structure. Inserting postings between other postings is not possible. But lets not be hasty. Lets test it out this way and see how it all works out

C

Crafters-Inc.

rwrj88,

I found the links you are talking about, I will fix them this weekend, (time, heh now I know why FAQ's are so hard to do!).

Morgoth,

I understand and it did cross my mind about updating. It didn't hit me until I was half way through with this style what a pain it was!

I have the FAQ still in Word Pad also if Anyone takes over, (I was cutting and pasting from all over the place to asemble this one!), and I can repost as a single or just a couple of posts.

Thanks again!!!

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is an error in the paragraph about smelting weapons and armor, you say that blacksmithy skill determines the amount of ingots returned. This is false, the mining skill determines how many ingots are returned. At 0 mining, your return is just a single ingot. At GM +5 mining gloves it is around 60% returned.

C

Crafters-Inc.

Thank you so much Barok, I will fix that immediately.

You do need mining though as a check when you try to Smelt colored Weapons? Just to make sure you can work the metal? Then it checks again to see how much is returned?

C

Crafters-Inc.

Okay, I got the links working again, totally blew that one up not paying attention to detail. Anyway, should be good now. Just a few more minor mods here and there and the new info.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note: One of the more interesting things about mining sand is that you can do it even in the "sandbox" between the Umbra Inn and Bank....

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Note: One of the more interesting things about mining sand is that you can do it even in the "sandbox" between the Umbra Inn and Bank....

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean the kitty litter box? "That ain't no tootsie roll !!! "

E

elitedragon

Easy use an archer instead absolute doddle to kill a val ele with an archer

E

elitedragon

easier to have a fire beetle with you and smelt on the hoof and only return to the bank or house when you have 2-4k+ of ingots

Status
Not open for further replies.