• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

making Items to unravel for relic frags

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Steady reliable source for Relic Fragments?

Converted 17 junky ecru rings to 16 relics yesterday.

Junky rings are: 50EP plus some unwanted combos like luck+resists. 50EP, 30 luck, 5fire resist, 11di is good candidate to be imbued to 90 luck, 13 fire resist, 20di to unravel to fragment.

Update: after publish 62 only way to make make items for relics is using runic tools.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pat three days I've bought rlic frags off vendors for 150 gp to high of 50K, average price being 10K each.

How? Everyone maligned the revamped Item ID skill, but I took a leisurely 2 months to train this skill to GM - boring! I actually used 2 3.0 pinkies to finish it off.

Now every morning, my Imbuer with GM Item ID hits the vendors and Item IDs the wares, if they say "will unravel to relic fragment", I then buy if 50K or less. One Jewel was actually 72 gp - I do love those vendors that let the AI vendorprogram price their items:)

Most items I see that will make relics are 150-200K , and usually are the "rejects" from someone burning high level hammers making samurai mage armor.

BTW - also works great for MR or EE :) If you find a jewel vendor that is AI priced, you can get a 50 stack of either for les than 1K ...

So yes, Mildred, Item ID was not a waste of points after all... :pancakes:

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Why'd you bother to GM it though? I do the same thing with 50ish item id, it just takes a little longer with the fails to see if something is worth buying or not. :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's a bit expensive unless you're able to get everything yourself, but I can get roughly 50% relic fragments by crafting leafblade of ease, true radiant scim (I think? the one with nightsight), butcher's war cleaver or silver etched mace using a bronze or better hammer and gold ingots. - gold giving lower requirements and luck. Higher return with a better hammer of course. I did them with an ASH in my hand to ensure except.

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've spent extensive time & resources trying this. It is NOT working at all.

There are always rumors about anything. I have tried it with imbuing loot items, and creating items from scratch. I've gone up to 498% weighted intensity, and gotten essence in return.

Science is something that can be replicated. This has not worked one time. I'm not saying someone didn't get it to work at some point randomly, but as far as being able to just make relic frags I can't do it. I don't think anyone else could because the market would be flooded with them immediately if they could.

O

Old Man of UO

... . I've gone up to 498% weighted intensity, and gotten essence in return.
This may be part of the problem. Item weighting is not taken into consideration when unraveling. That doesn't mean you aren't correct about the rest of the posting, but just wanted to point this out.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where are you unraveling? Your house will give the worst returns, queens soulforge will give the best. Even the public soulforge is better than your house, that little bump up can work in your favor.

There's also a thread in the crafters forum about what to make (use at least a bronze runic with gold ingots and make twinkling scimitars etc).

N

Ni-

I doubt that property weights are taken into account when unraveling. It seems like imbuing an item with 5 properties at 90% would give an item at 450%. I can't remember if you need 450%+ or 451%+ to get a fragment or not. If it is 451%+ then the item will need to be exceptional and atleast some special ingrediant will need to be used. I haven't tried the Queens soulforge, but some suggest better returns there, so that could be an option to try.

H

Harb

I haven't tried it since the pub 61 patch, but prior to that the technique you describe was working. Pulled 10 frags that way. The only thing you have to watch is weighting, works one way but not the other (an irksome decision). For the frag, the unravelled item must be 400% or greater without counting for property weights. Again, I may be a few days out of date, my success was all pre-pub 61. Let me know if it's now broken and I'll shush!

N

Nastia Cross

Thanks to everyone for responding! I think its time for me to get out Item ID and check out "junk" on vendors LOL.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok here's one for ya. I was unraveling the exceptional imbued daggers after each series of 10 successes as I always have. I am at 115 skill now, so was imbuing @44 hit dispel, 44 hit poison area, and luck 19 to 22 (whatever gave me about 61 success rate).

Yesterday, I got two daggers in a row to unravel to 1 essence fragment each. However the next 50 or so I imbued and unraveled yielded residue as usual. Only the two essence all day... go figure.

Perhaps unraveling at the borderline between relic and essence could yield unanticipated results also.

S

Stupid Miner

I've spent extensive time & resources trying this. It is NOT working at all.

There are always rumors about anything. I have tried it with imbuing loot items, and creating items from scratch. I've gone up to 498% weighted intensity, and gotten essence in return.

Science is something that can be replicated. This has not worked one time. I'm not saying someone didn't get it to work at some point randomly, but as far as being able to just make relic frags I can't do it. I don't think anyone else could because the market would be flooded with them immediately if they could.
For exceptional weapons, it wont count 35% + Arms Lore bonus% of the DI as a property.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am pretty sure they made imbued items unravel to lower grade then regular items.

Prior to the change at publish 60, I was getting essence from all of the items I was unraveling from imbuing past certain skill level. Right after the patch, it only unravels to residue instead of essence.

S

Slim29

I know how to craft and unravel to a relic everytime. I wish I could share the info, but I'm keeping it top secret for now. It is possible if you think hard enough and explore all options available. My only hint would be to not keep focused on just one crafting technique. Try them all until you find what I have found. One other hint - no need to use runics or enchanted essence. That's all I'm gonna say. Good luck :)

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Curse you Slim! hehe i had a bronze runic hammer and tried the twinkling schimy of gold and got 2 frags out of 35 schimys at queens forge. had 120 smithy with a 25/20 tali. i think slappin five mid range mods that are light on ingreds may do better, im testin that now.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know how to craft and unravel to a relic everytime. I wish I could share the info, but I'm keeping it top secret for now. It is possible if you think hard enough and explore all options available. My only hint would be to not keep focused on just one crafting technique. Try them all until you find what I have found. One other hint - no need to use runics or enchanted essence. That's all I'm gonna say. Good luck :)
Thanks for being part of the community. <----Sarcasm.

What benefit is there for you to keep that from everyone else?

S

Slim29

I wouldn't feel right just giving it away, as I have a vendor shop to run and relics are the big game in town now. I will say this much:

1. Total cost in ingredients for every 5 to 7 relics works out to about 300K.

2. Runics and essence are not needed.

3. Residue is needed - About 1000 - 1200 used for every 15 relics.

4. I would not focus on making them with Blacksmithy, try other crafting skills.

5. It takes about 30 min of crafting time for every 15 relics unraveled.

6. If you are not a Legendary Imbuer, do not waste your time trying.

7. If you are not at least a GM in other crafting skills, do not waste your time trying.

8. GM Arms lore is your friend.

That's all I will share as I had to spend millions training and trying different methods. The tips I have given are a great start. Again, stay away from Blacksmithy and you will eventually figure it out. Good luck!!! :)

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can be done with Blacksmithing and Daggers. But slim is correct, it can be done with no runics, but I do use a few Essences.

It gets costly, on everage, it will take 8 essence, 33 residue and about 85 gems (because of failures). So, depending on the price of residue and essence, each relic frag runs around 300K to produce.

So, "manufacturing" relic frags, does not seem all that smart in the long run as 5 are required for max intensity on attributes that require frags. That is 1.5 mill for "ONE" property.

D

Diggity

Things I've noticed:

1. Weighted intensity is NOT counted for unraveling. This means you want to stay away from properties with property weights > 1 since the weights will limit how much base intensity you can put on an item.

2. DI from exceptional/arms lore does not count. So if you make an exceptional weapon with 40 DI, it doesn't count for unraveling. But, if you change the di to something else, it will count.

Point 1 is much more important. Study the chart at http://www.uoherald.com/guide/guide.php?guideId=282 and/or Tina Small's excellent spreadsheet linked in the first post at http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=156965. It is clear there are plenty of properties that only require residue with property weights of 1. For example, all the resists only require residue.

Knowing that, try imbuing the 5 resists onto a plain ring or bracelet. I've found 13-13-13-13-13 resist jewels will unravel into relics if done by a legendary artificer gargoyle at the queens forge. 13-13-13-13-12 was either 1 or 2 essences. Imbuing resists onto jewelry requires only residue and the jewelry store gems to do. Didn't keep track of the costs, but I would place it at much less than 300k. Depends on how much you value residue I guess. I think the last imbue is still around 20% success chance, so there aren't THAT many failures.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Ok I will clue you all in make items that have max 500 intesity then imbu with the cheapest things you can afford but need to be 88% or higher also use 1.o weight items then enhance them !!

Example I make bows with hit area,crafted exceptional for 40% di (gives 80 intensity) then things like luck, etc then i enhance with yew wood (takes the di to 100%) plus gives you hci ! you could try it with oak but I have none and imbuing luck is almost garanteed to fail when i enhace with yew its about 33% survival rate
unravel at queens forge just to be sure (I unravel at home)! there you go relic frag

S

Slim29

Storm is almost right, but there is much more to the equation. I keeping tight lipped. By the way, my cost per relic frag is roughly 50K per. I make on average 5 - 7 relic frags for every 300K I put into it. That cost is based on valuing residue at 500 gp per.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
oh and you can start doing this at about 116 I recomend waiting for 120 though and when imbuing items make at queens forge for added crafting bonus!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I chose yew wood because i happened to have a bunch you could do this with tailor also and do resists I imagine even carpentry but have not messed with that!
and my costs are about the same jewels and residue are the main costs for me

S

Slim29

Diggity's suggestion on the jewelry works best. Both his method and my method are flawless, and I think the jewelry method may be a little cheaper. My method does not require the queens soul forge, but overall I think I will use the jewelry method from now on. The only thing is you need a high level tinker to craft the exceptional jewelry at a decent rate. Nice call :)

D

Diggity

I've just used store bought rings/bracelets. So tinker skill should not be needed. I wonder if imbuing exceptional garg rings will yield better results? That would require a good tinker tho.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Knowing that, try imbuing the 5 resists onto a plain ring or bracelet. I've found 13-13-13-13-13 resist jewels will unravel into relics if done by a legendary artificer gargoyle at the queens forge.
*reproduces this successfully*

*feels uncomfortable sensation that this might be too good to true given it uses only residue and regular gems*

*kicks myself for not having tried this earlier - I saw that 433 total intensity and thought "naw, that won't work"*

S

Slim29

Now look what we started lol :). Since the jewelry option is cheaper, I'm going to share what I was doing previously.

1.Crafted Exceptional bows out of normal wood- Had GM arms lore so they had 40DI
I only kept bows that had Durability of 55 and greater (This actually matters)

2.Imbued bows with the following in order :
1. Stamina Leech - Max amount without needing special ingredients
2. Mana Leech - Max amount without needing special ingredients
3. Hit Fire Area - Max amount without needing special ingredients
4. Fire Resist - Max amount without needing special ingredients.

After the bows were imbued, I then enhanced them with Yew Wood. I had about a 65 - 75% success rate on the enhancements.

All bows would turn into relic fragments using my home soul forge. My skills were as follows:

Legendary Artificer
GM Bowcraft/Fletching
GM Arms Lore

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting approach. I keep forgetting that original durability matters (I knew it did, but it made my head hurt so I went into denial).

I've been going on the assumption that relic fragments were intended to be a limiting resource so I do worry this might be one of those cases where we need a confirmation from the devs of the design intent of manufacturing relic fragments given that this allows essentially unlimited transformation of gold into fragments (more so with Diggity's approach than with yours since you at least do need to find and harvest yew to enhance with.

S

Slim29

I was thinking the same thing, so I'm making as many relics as possible with Diggity's approach right now. Hope it stays intact for a little while. Since you have to be a Legendary Articifer to get it to work, I'm not sure if it will cause a firestorm just yet. I'm certainly not waiting to find out though :)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
shhhhh maybe the devs wont read this lol
I do think this may have been intended though It is another good reason to have a gargoyle imbuer ! and to use the queens forge

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
maybe someone could test with a human or elf imbuer!

S

StarlaUO

I unraveled an imbued ring with 13 in all resists and yield 2 essences, using queen forge too. So it does not work for elf imbuer.

Add: Character is elf with 120 imbue

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
thats kinda what I thought ! Thanks for checking ! glad I moved imbuing to my gargoyle!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
considering the amount of gems needed you could probably call it a gold sink.

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Storm is almost right, but there is much more to the equation. I keeping tight lipped. By the way, my cost per relic frag is roughly 50K per. I make on average 5 - 7 relic frags for every 300K I put into it. That cost is based on valuing residue at 500 gp per.

The relics I "craft" cost me around 30k each. it takes me about 20 minutes to make 15 relics on average. Here is what I do since a few weeks:

1. Craft exceptional bokutos (having GM armslore)

2. Imbue 44 fire area, 13 fire resist, 90 luck, 22 hit dispel (with 20 hit dispel i was getting occasionally enchanted essence). The key is to imbue the item up to 388 intensity with properties weighting 1.0 only.

3. Enhance with frostwood (adds 124 intensity : splitted damage + 12% DI)

4. Unravel at Queen's soulforge

5. Store the relic fragments.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There is another thread at uo.hall which brings more light into this darkness. The key-technic for it seems to be imbuing. One of the cheapest methods: Imbue 5*13 resist onto a ring/bracelet and unravel it. Thought you need a legendary gargish articifer at the queens soulforge for that.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

rings jewelry has always been the easiest way to get frags (I have been imbuing the looted ones from the beginning) but for those crafters who have human/elf I recommend imbuing items( bows for example) and getting as close to the 450 mark as you can then enhance them with mats like yew!

D

Diggity

I've been going on the assumption that relic fragments were intended to be a limiting resource so I do worry this might be one of those cases where we need a confirmation from the devs of the design intent of manufacturing relic fragments given that this allows essentially unlimited transformation of gold into fragments (more so with Diggity's approach than with yours since you at least do need to find and harvest yew to enhance with.
I would hope the developers don't view relic fragments as the limiting resource for imbuing. Sure, the fragments should be and are more difficult to get than essence/residue, but ultimately the limits on top tier imbued stuff are the property weights and the special ingredients needed for 100% intensities.

One thing I think SA/imbuing got right is that there are alternative ways to obtain various resources/ingredients. For me, the various quest rewards that give out special ingredients vs having to mine/fish/lumberjack were particularly welcome. I don't find the repetitive harvesting skills all that much fun to play, so I'm glad they added some of these quests/rewards. Up to now, the alternative I would likely have to choose is to hunt gold/loot so I could buy these harvested resources from the more dedicated miners/fishers/lumberjackers.

On the flip side, while I enjoy doing the various mini-spawns to get the special ingredients that are Abyss only, I could see that some people might not. I think there are some quests for at least some of these as well as crafting alternatives for others. I haven't tried these out at all so don't know if they are viable alternatives, but at least it is a start.

I still have enough relic fragments from the leftover Tokuno artifacts and runic crafted discards I had. If I did need relic fragments, I doubt that I would do the jewelry method to make them. There are many other ways to get relic fragments and I'd rather spend my play time doing those things. But I think it is good that a non-combat imbuer char can create their own frags from residues (and money). I also think it is good in that it provides a use/need for residue. Once a char has imbuing trained up, residue is over plentiful and there is a need for some sort of residue sink.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think at this point the genie might not want to go back in the bottle anyway.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Why'd you bother to GM it though? I do the same thing with 50ish item id, it just takes a little longer with the fails to see if something is worth buying or not. :)
On scant vendors, yes - but when you open a bag with 50+ jewels in it, you can appreciate a GM skill that never fails!

Time is money:)

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now look what we started lol :). Since the jewelry option is cheaper, I'm going to share what I was doing previously.

1.Crafted Exceptional bows out of normal wood- Had GM arms lore so they had 40DI

After the bows were imbued, I then enhanced them with Yew Wood. I had about a 65 - 75% success rate on the enhancements.

All bows would turn into relic fragments using my home soul forge. My skills were as follows:

Legendary Artificer
GM Bowcraft/Fletching
GM Arms Lore
This part:
Requires enchanted essence... or isn't that considered a special ingredient? Regardless the success chance is below 20%, going to waste a lot of enchanted essence that way.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
considering the amount of gems needed you could probably call it a gold sink.
Thats for sure If its not a gold sink then there is none in the game !

I have spent well over 3 million so far and I am at 119 ! of course that includes a few items i made for myself not just training !

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think they will change this... it seems to me that things are opperating as intended. Relics are still more rare then residue or essence, you have to take both time and money (gems) to make them, but it offers a way to craft them. You still have to be around 120 imbung, have 10k Loyalty, and be a gargoyle. This seems more then balanced to me. Gargoyles kind of suck as is, its nice having a real worthwhile use for them that is directly related to what they were intended for... Crafting.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I dont think they will change this... it seems to me that things are opperating as intended. Relics are still more rare then residue or essence, you have to take both time and money (gems) to make them, but it offers a way to craft them. You still have to be around 120 imbung, have 10k Loyalty, and be a gargoyle. This seems more then balanced to me. Gargoyles kind of suck as is, its nice having a real worthwhile use for them that is directly related to what they were intended for... Crafting.
agreed

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

My way to steady supply of frags using only residue, gems and some iron ingots

Start with: Ring or Brace (mine are gm tinker made)

First Mod: Some resist to 13 (ie energy)
Second Mod: Some resist to 13 (ie fire)
Third Mod: Some resist to 13 (ie poison)
Fourth Mod: 18% LRC
Fifth Mod: 77 Luck (77 is minimum luck, 76 will unravel as essence)

This is done with a Legendary Gargoyle Imbuer at the Queens Forge.

S

Slim29

Correction to the list I made previously. The last imbue was not supposed to be fire resist, but was supposed to be life leech. Sorry for the confusion.

4. Life Leech - Max amount without needing special ingredients.

Legendary Artificer
GM Bowcraft/Fletching
GM Arms Lore

O

Old Man of UO

I just got a relic from a golden axe that I've had is storage, that was made with a runic hammer. I'm not sure which hammer, but it had to be a bronze or less, since I sell anything higher than that. It was a junky ornate axe, so yeah it was worth it.

S

StarlaUO

The bokuto method works for my elf imbuer, using Queen Forge. I think Slim's method would work too. Yay! Thanks!