• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

mages, mages, and more mages

• Thread starter Alex the Gray
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
U

uomlplayer

and hello last time i check the only good scnp -0 weps are 2 handers,thats the penalty for using mage wep you cant use pots which is a big disadvantage maybe we should say necros or any other template that casts spells and want to cast spells without sc mod they can only with 2 handed weps?

I

imported_mo'gluk

mage has at least a dozen spells to dish out damage from long range to close range to area effect...

necro has three pain spike, poison pike and wither

U

uomlplayer

you forgot strangle the most powerfull spell add in corpse skin and omen lol can we say more? add in uber 5 mod max intensity weps you have a killing machine! which you can drink pots too!

D

Dark_Schneider

<blockquote><hr>

mage has at least a dozen spells to dish out damage from long range to close range to area effect...

necro has three pain spike, poison pike and wither

[/ QUOTE ]

Magery can also do earthquake to hit stealthers.

Wither used to hit hidden people / stealthers, but was changed.

I think that was a lame change

U

uomlplayer

add in summons for mana regent/vamp form for necros with healing lmao i bet theres more to add to this....

G

Basically I'm just saying I don't feel there are enough spells to make necromancers have a manditory sc mod in order to have a weapon. Now if there where more spells that either did damage or helped curse the opponent more then yeah, I'd understand the need for sc because it'd be way out of balance.

But then again mabye things have changed... (not trying to make enemies already lol, just justifying necro's as i've played both classes, and favor mages myself)

U

uomlplayer

i see what your trying to say but necros have enough debuff spells and other very usefull spells not to mention the pvm aspect of necros either,necros with wrestling can also preform the specs that come with wrestle,with that said tell me why is it that a mage weilding a 2hander mage wep is more overpowerd than with a necro that can cast spells and use a uber ONE HANDED weapon?

U

uomlplayer

necro has the rev which follows you everywhere untill dispelled and reveals you too if hidden....

D

Dark_Schneider

<blockquote><hr>

necro has the rev which follows you everywhere untill dispelled and reveals you too if hidden....

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a pretty horrible reason to make wither not hit invis. You cannot rev a hidden person.

U

uomlplayer

agreed but it seems like people like to use horrible reasons to try and nerf something that they cannot beat because they dont know how.....

G

<blockquote><hr>

tell me why is it that a mage weilding a 2hander mage wep is more overpowerd than with a necro that can cast spells and use a uber weapon?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhh... but there is the problem
I have nothing against the mage weapons... but alot more against tamers, lol

I was simply attempting to make a point that necros deserve weapons, (I wish UO would install the Auto Patch faster).

U

uomlplayer

i know your just trying to justify why necros should deserve weps but im just trying to justify to you that a mage desrves the mage wep just as much as those templates that derserves weps that can cast without the sc mod and chug pots also...

U

uomlplayer

The developers have always favored mages over every other template, this is nothing new, and the last excuse I heard, was because it's suppose to be a magical world. *shrugs*
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i dont know why people think that this game is all about mages,when was last time you played a mage against other templates lately? id like to see some of you play mages up against some of the dexters ive ran into on the feild lately and win....

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

So you are training mage skills eh? Cool! If this is your first mage, you are going to be a tad disappointed when you discover that the damage output isn't quite enough to kill certain people/templates.

You may be even further surprised to find that you can't shift click on a target and auto follow it while the game automatically fires various spell combos at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take your head outta your butt for a second here, I don't see anyone's ebolt missing, or their flamestrike misssing, are any of their spells missing for the matter. But how many times does a weapon swoosh when swinging at a mage? A mage teleports on top of a building, and mega dumps on a warrior, but a warrior has to be right on top of the mage, then prey he don't get the "swoosh" affect.

*rolls eyes* Please, spare me with your bull****.

N

Nerf-Herder

RTLFC...

I doubt they are going to remove the no penalty mage weapon arties from the game, but they can change it a bit to force people to make a hard choice when it comes to running one.

Make it so HCI and DCI do not work with mage weapons. Right now if you have 100 magery and you are holding a zero penalty mage weapon, you have the equivalent of 100 weapon skill when the game determines your hit/defense chance. If you also run 30% HCI or DCI, you now have the equivalent of 130 weapon skill.

If HCI and DCI no longer work with these mage weapons, then the absolute highest defense/hit equivalent you could ever have would be 120. People who actually invest template points in a weapon skill could use HCI/DCI gear to buff their weapon skill as high as 174 for the games combat calc.

This would leave the mage weapons viable in PvM while making it much less desirable to run in PvP.

A

AntiOTF

Yeah, the 8x mage is a whole nother can of beans. Don't even get me started on that. And for the record, a 120 mage with a -0 mage weapon, has equivalent of 120 weapon skill, not 100. So yes, if he has 30 hci, it can get pretty darn sick.

U

uomlplayer

can it be as sick as someone spamming poison stike over and over with strangle going and using a max mod wep hitting you with specs?

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

Take your head outta your butt for a second here, I don't see anyone's ebolt missing, or their flamestrike misssing, are any of their spells missing for the matter. But how many times does a weapon swoosh when swinging at a mage? A mage teleports on top of a building, and mega dumps on a warrior, but a warrior has to be right on top of the mage, then prey he don't get the "swoosh" affect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take your kryss out of your butt for a second here, because I don't see any dexxer swings being interrupted either pal.

The standard field mage is not overpowered. If it were, EVERYBODY would [censored] run one, but what do we see? Stealth archers and tamers. Even many of the most experienced and dedicated mages on this shard have made the switch (or have quit).

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

Yeah, the 8x mage is a whole nother can of beans. Don't even get me started on that. And for the record, a 120 mage with a -0 mage weapon, has equivalent of 120 weapon skill, not 100. So yes, if he has 30 hci, it can get pretty darn sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used 100 mage in the example to keep the math simple.

U

uomlplayer

your wrong! dexters do miss! its not because they want to tho it becuase they cant swing while spamming spells rofl...

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

can it be as sick as someone spamming poison stike over and over with strangle going and using a max mod wep hitting you with specs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I know I can't cast through that kind of spam! It's a clear case of, "Crap your pants and run like a pancake!"

U

uomlplayer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good point. I know I can't cast through that kind of spam! It's a clear case of, "Crap your pants and run like a pancake!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LIES!! ALL LIES!! if you cant heal through that your simply a nOob.....

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

your wrong! dexters do miss! its not because they want to tho it becuase they cant swing while spamming spells rofl...

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that mages can be MADE to miss by interrupting the casting. You actually had a good example in your previous post. There are certain combinations of weapon specials and skills that make it extremely difficult for the mage to get a spell off.

Ex: Poison and bleed...

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Take your kryss out of your butt for a second here, because I don't see any dexxer swings being interrupted either pal.

The standard field mage is not overpowered. If it were, EVERYBODY would [censored] run one, but what do we see? Stealth archers and tamers. Even many of the most experienced and dedicated mages on this shard have made the switch (or have quit).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, that at the present moment, mages aren't nearly as bad as they have been for the past 10 years, they certainly don't hold a candle to the ridiculous archers that are out there. So yes, atm tamers and archers are a lot worse than mages, but I m,ean c'mon, it's been a helluva run for mages, has it not? And mages have had the upper hand for 10 years, so I'm not sad for mages not being the currently powerhouse template, but warriors have always been considered "gimps" to the developers. Hell, they even have to travel by foot. LOL

D

Dark_Schneider

This thread needs some good ol fashion hatin on blood oath

D

Dark_Schneider

<blockquote><hr>

Please tell me the oathe changes weren't for PvP too?

[/ QUOTE ]

:X there was a change?

U

uomlplayer

if you have resist now oath is not bad i forgot the exact formula

M

Masumatek

You see, the devs originally said it would be a PvM only change. Now you're telling me they lied and made it PvP too?

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sweet! I just hit 120 resist last night!

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sweet! I just hit 120 resist last night!

[/ QUOTE ]

Grats, but resist is really a waste in skill, imho.

M

Masumatek

We need someone to test it. The devs need to stop nerfing necro. Necro is NOT overpowered. And I thought I read the change basically makes oathe do less damage to you, up to 70% less? Lol. That's bs.

The only thing that should have ever been considered with an oathe nerf is decreasing it's duration, not making it do less damage. And its duration should have only been decreased AFTER remove curse apples and remove curse talismen were removed from the game (not some timer...removed), the chivalry remove curse spell was nerfed (it's incredibly overpowered in its current state), and something was done about people being able to stack resist to make corpse skin completely worthless.

U

uomlplayer

if necros are not overpowerd i dunno what template is.....

A

AntiOTF

Necros were recently nerfed, they can no longer perform a special weapon move and cast a spell at the same time. I used to abuse the heck ouuta that, which was key to 1 shotting before the days of the Samurai.

U

uomlplayer

same could be said about tank mages so why is magery overpowerd again?

N

Nerf-Herder

Not for me. Everytime I see that "You feel yourself resisting magical energy" message, I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside!

It's nice to know that curses wont drop my strength to 75. That poisons wont always stick. That I cannot be paraed without being EOed first. That I have 44 in all my resists when I'm butt naked (makes getting back to a corpse after a res a bit less threatening).

If you have stealth, I agree that resist isn't needed. I love having it. In fact, the main reason I haven't run my Captain Caveman character in so long is because I stoned resist for tactics so I could use weapon specials. Tears come to my eye when he gets cursed now. It is just sad...

M

Masumatek

So do tell, how is necro overpowered. I'm sure you'll throw some classic examples they use in uhall at us, which is really just in combination with MAGERY. Evil omen + paralyze? Have you ever thought that maybe paralyze is the overpowered spell? Corpse skin+fire spells? 75 fire resist = brings it to 60. 70=55, which is still acceptable. 85=corpse skin worthless, and it might as well be worthless at anything above 75. You should know this. You go around in decked out suits with high resists. True, many people don't use high resist so corpse skin becomes more powerful? But you know what? I'd rather have curse. Want to talk about overpowered mage spells? How about curse? That's a greatly overpowered mage spell.

You also oppose a removal of the -mage weapon mod. And yet, you do realize that what you and other mages complain about necro has to do with necro+mage and 90% of the necro-mages would disappear if -mage weapon didn't exist? But no, you say nerf necro, keep mage weapon mod....

M

Masumatek

Not to mention a tactics requirement. And yes az, the weapon special nerfs hurt necros a helluva lot more than mages since necros need to be combined with other skills to compete much more than mages do.

G

i think mages and necros are evenly matched. and i think a lot of dexxer templates are better than they realize but most are just to scared to follow through and get low during an attack when they would of had a chance to land a kill shot. dexxers dont realize they aren't going to die in 1 combo if they heal right. Almost no template dies in 1 combo if you know how to use any form of healing and pots at the same time.

As far as necros being overpowered, i may of agreed to before the last pvp changes. Now that necros can't cast spells and do loads of speacils at the same time its a lot harder to do 50-70 point combos. necros definatly aint any more overpowered than stealthers with ninja and smoke bombs.

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

But you know what? I'd rather have curse. Want to talk about overpowered mage spells? How about curse? That's a greatly overpowered mage spell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. The duration needs to be reduced, and you should have a chance to resist it outright if you have the resist spells skill.

U

uomlplayer

umm necros are not at all overpowerd with HIGH RESISt aka all 70s+ if you dont have that you will have a very hard time no matter which template,now with that said you play HERE ON SEIGE where everyone has a very hard time trying to keep 75+ fire and poison just to counter necros if we had insurance then yes necros are not in anyway over powerd but on seige here good luck trying to stay alive with 55 fire and poison EVEN AFTER corpse skin.... and curse brings resist down to 60s resist not 55! or lower! so ya on seige NECROS ARE OVERPOWERD.

U

uomlplayer

mage has one debuff spell? curse? where as necro has TONS of debuff spells ill give necros curse if they take away OATH/CORPSE SKIN/OMEN,and please save the corpse skin is negated crap if you have 85 fire/poison cause you A either have to be cheating to have so many high resist suits or B you have to play 24/7.

U

uomlplayer

id be more than happy if they would swap curse with corpse skin magery can take corpse skin and necros can have curse then we can hear they crys after that....

N

Nerf-Herder

Curse, feeblemind, weaken, clumsy, mana drain, mana vampire, poison...
Pretty sure the mage has more than one debuff spell.

For a relatively low circle spell, curse is pretty powerful, and it can't be completely resisted.

U

uomlplayer

why would anyone use any other debuffs then curse inless you trying to interupt spells bein cast? mana drain/mana vamp? pfft get resist? no resist? too bad....

U

uomlplayer

can corpse skin be resisted? can omen be resisted? no! but mana vamp/mana drain can be....