• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Magery, how it should work!

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.....I think anyone would agree that the skill: MAGERY has way too many spells, and over-all, I think magery should be set into different skills, allowing the developers to add even more spells to each skill. This can easily be done, and could balance the game out a lot more..

Destruction - provides many means of inflicting damage on enemies.

Conjuration - is the magic of summoning creatures from other worlds

Alteration - is the magic of altering the physical world.

Mysticism - Any spells that gives your character defensive spells for the most part, misc spells, dispel magic, reflect, etc..

Illusion - used to alters an actor's aggression or confidence

Restoration - involves the magical healing or augmentation of living tissue.

So you see, this is why Magery, in my opinion is the most difficult, or let alone, most powerfull skill to use in the game, I serperated it into 6 different skills...

We can also talk about a skill cap raise, if this was done.

Or peraphs every spell should have its own skill cap, so the healing spell has a skill cap of 100.0, but it is not tied to your skill tree, you raise your magery, to become more successfull at casting spells, and when you cast let's say explosion, you raise the skill of your explosion, making it more powerfull, this would defeat the purpose of Evaluating Intelligence, I believe this would work better for us though..

/Discuss

K

Kith Kanan

NO FREAKING WAY !!! if you want a game with sub classes go play a diff game :loser:

C

Connor_Graham

Uh....Conjuration?

Conjuring maybe?

Seriously, that one hurt my ears to read it....

A.Entreri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no way, leave magery as is. this is ultima not the elder scrolls.

K

Kratos Aurion

Well to be honest, I don't dislike your idea. The games that do have subclasses to classful characters I found were actually really fun. It forces you to choose one way over another making PvP more random and challenging to every player.

But this is Ultima. Its never going to change and neither are the people.

X

xStrikerx

.....I think anyone would agree that the skill: MAGERY has way too many spells, and over-all, I think magery should be set into different skills, allowing the developers to add even more spells to each skill.
So, magery has too many spells, the spells should be split into groups, then add more spells to each group? That doesnt make sense.

Anyways, there is no need to split the spells up and no need to copy another game.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're trying to put the Ultima back INTO UO, not take it out!

I also vote no!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.....I think anyone would agree that the skill: MAGERY has way too many spells, and over-all, I think magery should be set into different skills, allowing the developers to add even more spells to each skill. This can easily be done, and could balance the game out a lot more..

Mysticism - Any spells that gives your character defensive spells for the most part, misc spells, dispel magic, reflect, etc..

So you see, this is why Magery, in my opinion is the most difficult, or let alone, most powerfull skill to use in the game, I serperated it into 6 different skills...

Or peraphs every spell should have its own skill cap, so the healing spell has a skill cap of 100.0, but it is not tied to your skill tree, you raise your magery, to become more successfull at casting spells, and when you cast let's say explosion, you raise the skill of your explosion, making it more powerfull, this would defeat the purpose of Evaluating Intelligence, I believe this would work better for us though..

/Discuss
No. This isn't Elder Scrolls.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the only things they have to do in magery is remove the huge amount of unusefull and crap spells for add something of more usefull :p

For example... we have dispell and field dispell. Why we cant use dispell for all and over?

and so on... we have bless and 3 separated spell for strength, dexterecy and intelligence. Why we cant have bless only?
a daemon that can be istant dispelled and take 4 slots for nothing, polimorph that change only the shape and do nothing else (at 7th circle with 106 of magery requirement for have a 100% success!!!), summon creature that is totally unusefull, etc...

There are more in the list... just take the book and check what spells are usefull in pvp and the one that are usefull in pvm and trash the rest...

D

Demon Killer

no i dont agree. i believe that mages could use a 9th level of spells that requiure at least 115.0 magery to 120.0 magery to cast to give more life to mages i also believe that there should be more necromancer spells added and more spell weaving spells added to balance things and give more life to spell weavers and necromancers

L

Lore Master

no i dont agree. i believe that mages could use a 9th level of spells that requiure at least 115.0 magery to 120.0 magery to cast to give more life to mages i also believe that there should be more necromancer spells added and more spell weaving spells added to balance things and give more life to spell weavers and necromancers
i totally agree with you but if they add new magery spells, new spell weaving spells and new necro spells they should require atleast 115.1 in that skill that way to use them everyone will be forced to buy a 120 power scroll of what ever spell it is of course necromancery and spell weaving could use some low level spells too.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i totally agree with you but if they add new magery spells, new spell weaving spells and new necro spells they should require atleast 115.1 in that skill that way to use them everyone will be forced to buy a 120 power scroll of what ever spell it is of course necromancery and spell weaving could use some low level spells too.
So all the PvPers and those big ass guilds who say they own Felucca "Who are the 115.0, 120.0 Mages" would get the 9th circle spells? :sad4:

L

Lore Master

So all the PvPers and those big ass guilds who say they own Felucca "Who are the 115.0, 120.0 Mages" would get the 9th circle spells? :sad4:
i see your point i dont pvp either or do champ spawns and yes those power scrolls would be a fortune but still i would like to see 9th level spells for magery. perhaps if they put champ spawns with power scrolls in tram or malas or tokuna or ish that wouldnt be a problem but then again the big guild would cry foul of course and the devs would probally give into them which sucks.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I say leave magery as is, add new things in game that certain spells will interact with (eg: pets that react vigorously to a strength spell being cast upon them or a door that only lets suitably polymorphed people through,etc ). Then add new magic skills ... I'm very curious to see what mysticism has in store.

J

Juicy Fruit

If you want a game with diff classes of mages, then go play it, magery in UO being a well rounded profession is what make UO good and different, leave it alone or leave

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.....I think anyone would agree that the skill: MAGERY has way too many spells/Discuss
Actually I think magery has too little spells, another 64 more should be added. 8 more destruction spells, 8 more conjuring spells, 8 more alteration spells, 8 more... :D

J/K. While I'd love it, it'll be way overpowered and be nerfed into "Oblivion". Neither do I don't think that magery have too many spells.

D

Desolation87

Magery needs to lose the crappy, no use spells and have more physical dmg spells.

S

Splup

I gotta say I don't want this game to get more messy. I think it's pretty hard already for new players to absorb everything you need to know about this game to get started.

I like magery the way it is.

Edit: Well, few new spells would be nice to have tbh :) or making some old "useless" spells more usefull. Like lets say you could use magic lock on doors in Felucca, and it would last x amount of time (not a long time). Or maybe magical traps on doors also.

C

Coppelia

/Discuss
Go back on Oblivion, and don't bother us with your totally unbalanced magic system.