• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Macroing in your house?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree.

Mesanna needs to post the rules in crystal clear, unambiguous language that addresses all these issues (macroing, 3rd party programs, scripting, multiboxing, unacceptable language, etc). And by "post" I mean on the front page of UO.com, not to Stratics, nor spoken during a meet & greet. Point all Advisors and GMs to the post so they're on the same page, then inform them not to ad lib. Set a date, then ENFORCE THEM.

If UO's continued existence appears to hinge on the continued subscription of cheaters, then you have a difficult choice to make. Turning a blind eye, however, isn't an acceptable option. Uphold the ToS/RoC, or officially take the plunge down the "Any way you want to win, that’s how you win." rabbit hole.
That would be great but could you see the **** storm that it would cause no matter which way she stood. IMHO by her not saying is a clear sign that she is for anything but multi boxing but there is no way in hell that she will say it outright.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The idea of training skills through gameplay seems torturous and insane to me in 2016. I can't even imagine just waltzing around farming ettins or something for months while I watch my necromancy randomly tick up by 0.1% every now and then.

I just macro everything whatever way I want and I don't even know anyone who's ever been busted for it. If you don't like it, well, guess how much anyone cares?

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The whole game economics is based off afk scripting and macroing, with out this it would have made this game far more tedious and boring and well it would have impacted on the player base a lot quicker
a lot of people macro chars AFK, a lot of people script events, rescouces and other things.
Alot of people sell UO gold for real money and has been proven to make a very good living out of it.

is it far? honestly it doesn't matter, if it would have done and somehow effected the revenue of this game, it would have been addressed years ago and stamped out.

for all the hardcore players out there that follow the rule as it should be, there is far to many casuals that just want to log on get stuff done with out the boring stuff that this game has to offer.

the game is too far gone to uphold the Tos/Roc, they do not have the time resources or the man power to do this.

dame even getting any feed back from any Devs is like pulling teeth, when was the last time the Devs addressed anything in this game , gave any updates to any developments in the future, little to none.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The whole game economics is based off afk scripting and macroing, with out this it would have made this game far more tedious and boring and well it would have impacted on the player base a lot quicker
a lot of people macro chars AFK, a lot of people script events, rescouces and other things.
Alot of people sell UO gold for real money and has been proven to make a very good living out of it.

is it far? honestly it doesn't matter, if it would have done and somehow effected the revenue of this game, it would have been addressed years ago and stamped out.

for all the hardcore players out there that follow the rule as it should be, there is far to many casuals that just want to log on get stuff done with out the boring stuff that this game has to offer.

the game is too far gone to uphold the Tos/Roc, they do not have the time resources or the man power to do this.

dame even getting any feed back from any Devs is like pulling teeth, when was the last time the Devs addressed anything in this game , gave any updates to any developments in the future, little to none.
If you don't think it effects the revenue of the game then you are completely fooling yourself as well as anyone else that thinks that selling in-game stuff for RL money doesn't hurt the game.... or the other players.

Look at all the sales websites selling duped stuff.... you think they would be doing that (which does hurt the game quite a LOT)... if they weren't making a profit from it????? If the actual ToS were enforced... etc... no.

Greed... it continues to kill the game. Greed fuels much of the cheating that goes on in-game. Do you think people would multi-box characters at an EM Event if it weren't profitable??? No... do you think they would script AFK mining and lumberjacking if it weren't profitable??? NO... But the fact is it is still profitable. How many of those people do you think "claim" that income on their taxes?? I'm betting they don't. And do you think that helps your hurts the actual RL economy?

And how many duped items do you suppose have been sold over the years? Do you or do you not think that's at least partially responsible for the fact that we now only have a tiny DEV team??? You really don't believe that BS that you typed..... you can't. The fact is that the DEVs tend to turn a blind eye to it.... if they looked at what is actually profitable in game and Oh I don't know actually either stopped those who are making all this money off the game and started supplying things players need/want in the game store... etc... imagine how much more profitable the game would be.... and imagine if the game made more money what they could do with it? Maybe hire some more DEVs...... or something.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't think it effects the revenue of the game then you are completely fooling yourself as well as anyone else that thinks that selling in-game stuff for RL money doesn't hurt the game.... or the other players.

Look at all the sales websites selling duped stuff.... you think they would be doing that (which does hurt the game quite a LOT)... if they weren't making a profit from it????? If the actual ToS were enforced... etc... no.

Greed... it continues to kill the game. Greed fuels much of the cheating that goes on in-game. Do you think people would multi-box characters at an EM Event if it weren't profitable??? No... do you think they would script AFK mining and lumberjacking if it weren't profitable??? NO... But the fact is it is still profitable. How many of those people do you think "claim" that income on their taxes?? I'm betting they don't. And do you think that helps your hurts the actual RL economy?

And how many duped items do you suppose have been sold over the years? Do you or do you not think that's at least partially responsible for the fact that we now only have a tiny DEV team??? You really don't believe that BS that you typed..... you can't. The fact is that the DEVs tend to turn a blind eye to it.... if they looked at what is actually profitable in game and Oh I don't know actually either stopped those who are making all this money off the game and started supplying things players need/want in the game store... etc... imagine how much more profitable the game would be.... and imagine if the game made more money what they could do with it? Maybe hire some more DEVs...... or something.
The game has been poorly ran for years, badly managed, badly advertised, bad in pretty much all aspects for years.
We are both looking at this from different views, you say all that caused a lose in revenue, i say because of kept it, rightly or wrongly, its a fact, look at the trade fourms, someone has opened up a shop that sells all pots and even taking orders, do you honestly think they are doing it by hand? lol, its players like that keeps the boat afloat, like it or not its a fact.

its the devs failure to control the ways things have gone has caused those issues to happen, how many patches came in and broke loads more, they don't listen, test or Q&A anything.

no amount of chest thumping will get them to act on any of the points raised, Even is Mesanna came in and made a point to say she does not condone it, there is no controls to control it, nothing at all, nothing stops them doing what they do.

it is what it is.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
*grumbles and dons flame retardant armor*

Mesanna says she cares for the game. I want to believe her. However, when she (or the other devs and GMs) ignores blatant cheating (obvious script resource gatherers, the 6 multiboxed chars at nearly EVERY EVENT) I find myself doubting her word.

Investigating things such as script miners should be fairly brain dead. No player is going to recall from spot to spot mining once or twice for 23 hours a day. That's a scripter. Ban them.

Investigating multiboxers just requires eyes. See that group of wraiths or obnoxiously flappy gargoyles all stacked on top of each other at an EM event? See them all move as one and perform the same actions? That's a cheater. Perma ban each account. Don't look back.

See the jackass in gen chat dropping the N-word or acting like a Jr. High bully (No, I don't mean the typical pvp smack talk)? Give them a 3 day vacation. Take after Blizzard and make subsequent offenses double additional vacations.

The highly selective ToS/RoC enforcement implies a few options, none of them good. 1) They really don't care 2) They think cleaning up UO would doom the game 3) They are somehow complicit in these activities (if the allegation that Mesanna uses a certain program are to be believed...ugh.)

"Any way you want to win, that’s how you win." is a metaphorical door that should never have been opened.

Time to show us you care and dust off the hammer.
Whee! Love it!

Maelwyn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading this thread I thought I'd actually go and read the TOS and the ROC. Interestingly enough, I couldn't find them listed anywhere on the UO website. After searching I did find one page with links to both the TOS and ROC:

Ultima Online Support

But all the links are broken.

Next, I went and started an install of the Enhanced Client. I copied the ROC from the installation. I use the CC and didn't want to do a re-install all over again, so I don't know if it's any different.

ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE

RULES OF CONDUCT

When you are logged on to the Ultima Online Service, you must abide by the following rules. IF YOU BREAK ANY OF THESE RULES, YOUR ULTIMA ONLINE ACCOUNT, AND YOUR RIGHT TO USE THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE, MAY BE TERMINATED IMMEDIATELY BY ORIGIN SYSTEMS. IF THIS HAPPENS, YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO ANY REFUND OF ANY AMOUNTS PAID BY YOU TO USE THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE.

The rules are:

* You may not impersonate any Ultima Online Customer Support representative or other employee of Electronic Arts.

* You may not harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress, unwanted attention or discomfort to another player.

* You may not use any offensive or sexually explicit language.

* You may not use any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable language toward any other player.

* You may not market, promote or advertise anything, or make any other form of solicitation (including pyramid schemes and chain letters) on the Ultima Online Service or through the Ultima Online Web Site.

* You may not violate any local, state, national or international law or regulation.

* You may not arrange for the exchange or transfer of any pirated software or other contraband while you are on the Ultima Online Service or Web Site, or use the Ultima Online Service or Web Site for any other illegal purpose.

* You may not organize any guilds or groups that are based on, or espouse, any racist, sexist, anti-religious, anti-ethnic, anti-gay, or other hate-mongering philosophy.

* You may not use the Ultima Online Service or the Ultima Online Web Site for any activities other than activities that are permitted within the game world.

* You may not post or communicate any player's real world personal information within the Ultima Online Service or through the Ultima Online Web Site or bulletin board.

* You will not upload or transmit on the Ultima Online Service, or through the Ultima Online Web Site or bulletin board, any copyrighted content that you do not own all rights to, unless you have the express written permission of the author or copyright holder.

* You may not modify any part of the Ultima Online Service or Web Site that Electronic Arts does not specifically authorize you to modify.

* You may not give false information or intentionally hide any information, such as email address or billing information, which is required at the time you register with the Ultima Online Service. It is your responsibility to keep this information up-to-date using the website located at http://www.ultima-registration.com.

* You will not attempt to interfere with, hack into, or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running the Ultima Online Service.

* You will not exploit any bug in the Ultima Online product or the Ultima Online Service to gain unfair advantage in the game and you will not communicate the existence of any such bug (either directly or through public posting) to any other user of the Ultima Online Service.

* You will not attempt to play Ultima Online on any service that is not controlled or authorized by Electronic Arts.

* You will not create, use or provide any server emulator or other site where Ultima Online may be played, and you will not post or distribute any utilities, emulators or other software tools related to Ultima Online without the express written permission of Electronic Arts.

* You will not do anything else that interferes with the ability of other Ultima Online users to enjoy playing the game in accordance with its rules, or that increases the expense or difficulty of Electronic Arts in maintaining the Ultima Online Service for the enjoyment of all its users.

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU AGREE TO THESE RULES AND WILL ABIDE BY THEM.

YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT THESE RULES WILL APPLY TO ANYONE THAT YOU ALLOW TO USE YOUR ULTIMA ONLINE ACCOUNT OR USER ID, AND THAT YOU ARE PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES (INCLUDING TERMINATION OF YOUR ACCOUNT) THAT MAY RESULT IF ANY SUCH PERSON BREAKS THESE RULES.

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IF YOUR ACCOUNT AND RIGHT TO USE THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE IS TERMINATED BY ELECTRONIC ARTS FOR ANY REASON, YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO A REFUND OF ANY FEES PAID BY YOU FOR USE OF THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE AND YOU WILL FORFEIT ANY UNUSED ACCESS TIME THAT YOU HAVE REMAINING AT THE TIME OF TERMINATION.

IN ORDER TO HELP MAKE ULTIMA ONLINE A GOOD EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE, ELECTRONIC ARTS MAY OCCASIONALLY FIND IT NECESSARY TO MAKE CHANGES TO, OR RESET CERTAIN PARAMETERS OF, AN ON-GOING WORLD IN ORDER TO BRING IT BACK INTO BALANCE. THESE CHANGES OR RESETS MAY AFFECT CHARACTERS UNDER YOUR CONTROL AND MAY CAUSE YOU SETBACKS WITHIN THE GAME WORLD.

THESE RULES MAY BE CHANGED, AND NEW RULES MAY BE ADDED, AT ANY TIME. YOU AGREE TO CHECK THE ULTIMA ONLINE WEB SITE FROM TIME TO TIME TO REVIEW ANY RULE CHANGES THAT ELECTRONIC ARTS MAY HAVE MADE.

YOU AGREE TO READ CAREFULLY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET FORTH IN THE ULTIMA ONLINE SERVICE AGREEMENT THAT IS POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AT http://www.uo.com/agreement.html.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ultima Online(tm)

for Windows(R) XP, Vista

(c) 2009 Electronic Arts Inc. All rights reserved.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I also did a google search and came up with the following ROC:

ROC

What I find interesting is that there is only one line concerning macroing from the ROC link:

You may not leave an active character or pet in game while unattended. If your character is performing a skill, text or action, you must be able to respond to a Game Master when one attempts to speak to you.
So, what I get from this, and what I've always thought since I've been playing this game is that scripting/macroing is perfectly legal, as long as it's attended. I also find no mention at all of multi-boxing.

I am very curious as to why anyone thinks scripting/macroing or multi-boxing is illegal in any way? I can't recall any dev team member saying these are illegal.

Enziet

Journeyman
The list is very short of approved third party programs. This day and age it's I think only UOMapper and UOAssist. I'm sure there are others, but those are the only two that I am aware of.

As for the rules that you've found. No there are no links that actually work on the UO.com's website, but the ones you read during the installation are the most current rules, as UO does not have "Official forums". So they mostly put out updates via RSS Feed and places like Stratics picks them up and re feeds them to the forums for us to read.

I think the multi boxing one was just someone referencing back to what they have either experienced themselves or heard from a GM.

The program in question may not be an approved program. BUT it's the EXACT same as holding down the keyboard key. If the difference between holding down a key or not holding down a key drives you batty about the rules, that may be your issue. My issue is AFK. When you step away from the computer, stop the program. As the rules say "You must be able to respond to a GM".

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
" ... <large snip> ... So, what I get from this, and what I've always thought since I've been playing this game is that scripting/macroing is perfectly legal, as long as it's attended. I also find no mention at all of multi-boxing.
As far back as I can remember, ATTENDED macroing was acceptable, but UNATTENDED was not. Although there are approved and unapproved add-ons for the CC, I recall that one of the Devs way back in time basically stated that if it does not interfere/alter the data stream it is a possible accepted program.

There are certain scripts/hacks that speed up characters - unapproved and should be stomped on by GMs. They alter the data stream for movement factors.
There is at least one that allows the repeat of UOA macros - if you use it you still must be able to respond to GM - page or actual presence. If this allows that, then it's golden.

Key here - is the ability to respond to a GM. If you cannot, then you are in the wrong.

Multiboxing is something I have no recall of as a specific topic.

@Critical Gaming - UO Assist and Automap are the only items I am sure are on the approved list (officially). UO Cartographer does not alter data stream so is also (IMO) acceptable.

All this blather from me is based on UO presence 1998 - 2004, 2005 - 2010 and early 2016 to present. I now return you to the regularly schedued insanity.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread has been pretty productive so far, but it would be appreciated if everyone could refrain from attacking each other. A couple posts had to be removed.

Please make sure to refrain from personally attacking each other, or replying to someone's post just for the sake of insulting it.

original poster asked for this thread to be deleted as the issue he wanted to discuss was no longer relevant. why werent his wishes respected?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
original poster asked for this thread to be deleted as the issue he wanted to discuss was no longer relevant. why werent his wishes respected?
My guess would be because it opened the door to discuss a hot topic by someone who openly admitted to cheating/AFK Macroing. And additionally claimed to have e-mails as proof the said behavior is legal and acceptable in a official capacity. The easy way to end this thread is for Mesanna to state the official position of EA/Broadsword and clearly state what is allowed and not allowed. Since right now there is a great deal of debate and confusion over what 3rd party programs and behavior is acceptable.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My guess would be because it opened the door to discuss a hot topic by someone who openly admitted to cheating/AFK Macroing. And additionally claimed to have e-mails as proof the said behavior is legal and acceptable in a official capacity. The easy way to end this thread is for Mesanna to state the official position of EA/Broadsword and clearly state what is allowed and not allowed. Since right now there is a great deal of debate and confusion over what 3rd party programs and behavior is acceptable.
no offense but i didnt ask you.

im asking because lately my own threads which are no longer relevant and ive asked to have deleted have not have those requests honored. this has nothing to do with the actual content of any specific thread. it used to be that if a user requested his or her thread deleted for any reason, that request was honored.

im asking a staff member if that has changed.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no offense but i didnt ask you.

im asking because lately my own threads which are no longer relevant and ive asked to have deleted have not have those requests honored. this has nothing to do with the actual content of any specific thread.
No offense but you did not ask anyone specific, you just asked ;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Use or distribute unauthorized "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications.
- Use any game hacking/altering/cheating software or tools.
- Modify or attempt to modify any file or any other part of the EA Service that EA does not specifically authorize you to modify.
- Attempt to interfere with, hack into or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers for an EA Service.
- Use and communicate exploits and/or cheats.

Well from what Frodo just linked there is the official stance........... But is the stance of Broadsword?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Alright folks, let's try to keep it on topic without the personal gripes.

Because there were still relevant issues being discussed.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright folks, let's try to keep it on topic without the personal gripes.

Because there were still relevant issues being discussed.
my thread wasnt deleted and there was absolutely nothing relevant about it.

i asked a question. mod said my question was irrelevant because it was based on a mistake by staff that was corrected that day by the mods, so i got my answer and asked for the thread to be deleted but its still there months later.

thats why i asked. i was wondering if its policy now to just not delete any thread no matter the situation.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
my thread wasnt deleted and there was absolutely nothing relevant about it.

i asked a question. mod said my question was irrelevant because it was based on a mistake by staff that was corrected that day by the mods, so i got my answer and asked for the thread to be deleted but its still there months later.
PM me the thread in question.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran

I guess you didnt notice that since the "Stratics Drama" few months ago, The Devs no longer post on Stratics and since than, all the news and updates come straight from uo.com and on the last few M&G, they clearly said that they are working on their own forums!!!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
- Use or distribute unauthorized "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications.
- Use any game hacking/altering/cheating software or tools.
- Modify or attempt to modify any file or any other part of the EA Service that EA does not specifically authorize you to modify.
- Attempt to interfere with, hack into or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers for an EA Service.
- Use and communicate exploits and/or cheats.

Well from what Frodo just linked there is the official stance........... But is the stance of Broadsword?
Yes it does. EA still owns UO.
LAST UPDATED: July 20, 2015

ELECTRONIC ARTS TERMS OF SERVICE
PLEASE NOTE: SECTION 20 CONTAINS A BINDING ARBITRATION CLAUSE AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER. IT AFFECTS YOUR RIGHTS ABOUT HOW TO RESOLVE ANY DISPUTE WITH EA. PLEASE READ IT.
These Terms of Service and all supplemental terms, as amended from time to time, govern your use of any online or mobile product or service to which you have access, any product or service that requires an Internet connection or EA Account to access, install or play as well as any EA Account you use to access online or mobile products or services ("EA Services") offered by Electronic Arts or any of its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, "EA") for PC, game system or mobile device.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please don't delete this thread, I love watching scripters and afk macroers complain that we shouldnt have scripting and afk macroing. Where else am I going to get my UO chuckles ?
If you are trying to imply I am a scripter and AFK Garth just say it and back it up. Fact is I don't even us UO assist as far as AFK that don't pan out so well on Siege as witnessed by this Ops post. Several years back I did try and use a 3rd party program with a auto loot script and found it to be more trouble than it was worth simply because everytime the there was a UO update the script would be down for a day to a week or more. And thus concluded my use of all 3rd party programs. Hell I challenge BS to watch me like a hawk and find me using any thing other than my trusty nut and bolt key weight attended. Or if possible go back through the last 12 years of my acct data and find anything funky.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess you didnt notice that since the "Stratics Drama" few months ago, The Devs no longer post on Stratics and since than, all the news and updates come straight from uo.com and on the last few M&G, they clearly said that they are working on their own forums!!![/QUOT

The consensus at the time of initial development for VvV was that the Siege community did not want the VvV artifacts on Siege. We look forward to continued to discussion on this topic. Feel free to send us any feedback to [email protected]

#105 Kyronix, Wednesday at 12:34 PM

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are trying to imply I am a scripter and AFK Garth just say it and back it up. Fact is I don't even us UO assist as far as AFK that don't pan out so well on Siege as witnessed by this Ops post. Several years back I did try and use a 3rd party program with a auto loot script and found it to be more trouble than it was worth simply because everytime the there was a UO update the script would be down for a day to a week or more. And thus concluded my use of all 3rd party programs. Hell I challenge BS to watch me like a hawk and find me using any thing other than my trusty nut and bolt key weight attended. Or if possible go back through the last 12 years of my acct data and find anything funky.
I don't recall mentioning yours or anyone elses name. In fact this is a comment I've made in other threads regarding scripting/macroing. You're more than welcome to search my posts to see.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because when other people started to participate it no longer was "his thread".

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The original poster of a thread does not have full control of their thread once other people have posted in it (with exception to trade forum buying/selling/auction threads). It would be unfair to delete 20 people's replies just because the original poster got tired of their own thread. Usually if there are only 1 or 2 replies the moderators do not mind deleting the thread as the original poster requested, but once it becomes a full blown discussion like this one did moderators will not delete it just because the original poster asked. Since there are no official rules about this type of thing a lot of it ends up being decided based on one moderator's discretion.

It's been that way for at least 2 years, since that's how it was explained to me when I was first hired as a moderator.

The trade forums are a bit different, because the original poster does always have full control of their buying/selling/auction thread. For example one of your threads from a while ago was left alone because it was a price check thread that a few others had posted in already. If it had been a buying/selling/auction thread it would have been deleted as requested.

If the only posts in the thread you mentioned were from you, and staff members then it should have been deleted as requested.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess you didnt notice that since the "Stratics Drama" few months ago, The Devs no longer post on Stratics and since than
This is completely untrue. In this month alone Bleak has posted 7 times, and Kyronix has posted twice. So that's 9 developer posts in July, plus 28 more developer posts from June.

That's hardly the developers "no longer posting on Stratics".

Here is the proof: UO Developer Feed

:)

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is completely untrue. In this month alone Bleak has posted 7 times, and Kyronix has posted twice. So that's 9 developer posts in July, plus 28 more developer posts from June.

and still no mention there of the Chivalry casting bug, despite two threads on it and multiple posts tagging the devs. x_x

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

And it was not that long ago the Dark Lady Herself posted in a thread involving the misuse of the UO brand if I am remembering correctly.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The list is very short of approved third party programs. This day and age it's I think only UOMapper and UOAssist. I'm sure there are others, but those are the only two that I am aware of.

As for the rules that you've found. No there are no links that actually work on the UO.com's website, but the ones you read during the installation are the most current rules, as UO does not have "Official forums". So they mostly put out updates via RSS Feed and places like Stratics picks them up and re feeds them to the forums for us to read.

I think the multi boxing one was just someone referencing back to what they have either experienced themselves or heard from a GM.

The program in question may not be an approved program. BUT it's the EXACT same as holding down the keyboard key. If the difference between holding down a key or not holding down a key drives you batty about the rules, that may be your issue. My issue is AFK. When you step away from the computer, stop the program. As the rules say "You must be able to respond to a GM".
UO Pro included:
UO Assist
UO Automap
UO Calculator
UO Curse Tool
UO Journal Converter
UO Magic Tool
UO Spawn Map
UO Weddings

UO Cartographer and UO Mapper were added two producers ago by Calvin Crowner, but never made it onto the official list because they sucked at website updates.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran

When was the last time you saw Mesanna's post???
Idc, but you are blind if you cant see that the relation between both parts were hurt after the "drama".
They said that they are working on the new forum....but than again, they are also working on the new MYUO page.....................lol

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Captn Norrington thanks for the reply, Merlin already explained it to me via pm. i still dont know why its up because the issue was resolved quickly and was like a month ago but he said it was the admins decsion. i dont agree with it but whatever, itll just be a useless thread there forever titled Delete.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've never scripted or anything like that (aside from uoassist) that being said I really don't care if someone is in their house training skills this way. Anyway I'm pretty sure it's always been a well known fact that you can't do any of that AFK. Like it or not, rules were broken and you were caught.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Idc, but you are blind if you cant see that the relation between both parts were hurt after the "drama".
They said that they are working on the new forum....but than again, they are also working on the new MYUO page.....................lol
Mesanna didn't post much to begin with. Throughout the almost two years I have been on Stratics Staff I have seen her post maybe 1 or 2 times a month on average unless there was a particular thread she was interested in like the EM event drama ones. Her last post was May 27th, which is also shown in the link in my previous post. Kyronix has always been the main developer on Stratics, 75% of the developer posts always came from him.

There has been a lot more going on between Stratics and Broadsword for about the last year than most Stratics posters are aware of. I cannot share that information of course, but I can assure you that the recent drama had a much smaller impact than people think, it just happened to become a popular posting topic. Whether they actually end up creating their own forums or not is completely up to them, but like you said we are still waiting on the new MyUO page and the new account management system too lol :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shaken a bit perhaps but no harm or real damage done....... Or so I hear.

EDIT: Ooops Sorry Capt. Didn't your reply.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
Today M&G!!

Al - Any word on UO Forums?

Mesanna - Yes, we are working on our own forums but you will not be able to post unless you have an account.

Al - GOOD!

Mesanna - Hopefully we get good feedback and people feel safer to post
Al - Thank is all, good night.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Today M&G!!

Al - Any word on UO Forums?

Mesanna - Yes, we are working on our own forums but you will not be able to post unless you have an account.

Al - GOOD!

Mesanna - Hopefully we get good feedback and people feel safer to post
Al - Thank is all, good night.
:eyes:I can not tell a lie that was me LOL

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One mentioned multibox, depends on how you define multibox. Cause having multiple clients running is perfectly fine, problem arises when you use third party software to control or otherwise do actions on multiple characters simultaneously.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Then why have the option to macro skills....... So lets say you set up a macro in EC, which is very easy, spell, time delay, spell, time delay..... etc
and you decide to go take a ****, or a piss to the toilet, and it that instance the GM arrives, well technically its not afk training, you have a RL life which can sometimes take you off the PC for a few minutes, yet you will still get banned.
Do GM know the difference between someone doing a basic training macro and a script with a 3rd party programme? Can they pick a signal or something off it?
Cause if they dont, its just however they feel like and then thats not correct as no rules are being followed.
I have to agree I have seen people scripting in every single shard I play and yet nothing is done to them
One person in particular who I am not going to mention but has over 10 accs and is a known cheater, nothing is done to him cause of the money he puts into EA pockets from his accs, so it come back down to friends, advisors and GMS all being one which breaks the game as then there is real biasedness.

Last edited:

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In regards to the first, you are technically not allowed to go AFK with the repeat function running in EC too, unattended macroing is unattended macroing, even if the client makes it available.

And it is quite normal that users isn't able to delete topics on public forums, some forums do have a soft delete made available though, which a mod can then reverse or leave be as desired. But it is also preferred, that users don't have this privilege, in my eyes, as a topic shouldn't be able to removed just because the author didn't get the response he hoped for. Which is mostly the reason for deleting a topic you created yourself. :)

Coleostro

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then why have the option to macro skills....... So lets say you set up a macro in EC, which is very easy, spell, time delay, spell, time delay..... etc
and you decide to go take a ****, or a piss to the toilet, and it that instance the GM arrives, well technically its not afk training, you have a RL life which can sometimes take you off the PC for a few minutes, yet you will still get banned.
Do GM know the difference between someone doing a basic training macro and a script with a 3rd party programme? Can they pick a signal or something off it?
Cause if they dont, its just however they feel like and then thats not correct as no rules are being followed.
I have to agree I have seen people scripting in every single shard I play and yet nothing is done to them
One person in particular who I am not going to mention but has over 10 accs and is a known cheater, nothing is done to him cause of the money he puts into EA pockets from his accs, so it come back down to friends, advisors and GMS all being one which breaks the game as then there is real biasedness.
I would believe that the ability to set up a macro in EC is to cut down on constant clicking and annoying timing and increase productivity while actually playing. As far as setting it up and going to take a whatever technically your character is then unattended. As far as the GM's go i will not lie, i got a 3 day suspension due to unattended macroing about two years ago. When i checked my journal log it was 27 minutes from time a character came on my screen to time GM attempted to make contact ( page wait time) The GM then made multiple attempts to talk to me over 5 minutes, I was then teleported to secure area. Can tell this by inability to cast or use skills. GM again gave my character an opportunity to respond and three minutes later my character was disconnected and i was suspended. Lesson learned, don't do it. That is just my bit of experience on how they determine if someone is unattended or not.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have been present at a couple of meet and greets when Mesanna was asked about Multi-boxing. Her answer was always that its fine for players to do it. They will not take action against multi-boxing only against Unattended macroing..

One example::: Lake Austin Meet and Greet, Weds. January the 21st - Old Stratics
Since that's a lot to wade through, here is the relevant part:
: [Crystal] Rasesar Wej says: ok next question: I have been noticing lots of multiboxers at events and blatant cheaters.

: [Crystal] Rasesar Wej says: are these being policed at all or is something being done?

: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: I have answered this question every time

: [Crystal] Rasesar Wej says: oh

: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: Its a matter of catching them macroing at this point

: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: if the GM’s catch them unattended they will action them

: [Crystal] Rasesar Wej says: ok so thats interesting. you say “unattended”

: [Crystal] Rasesar Wej says: the players may still be atteneded despite mirroring keyboard and mouse inputs across characters

: [Crystal] Rasesar Wej says: this is illegal is it not? controling multiple characters with single keyboard and mouse inputs

: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: Since Supreeme put in the multi client option he opened the door to this

: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: the only way we can action anyone is to get them macroing

: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: at this time

: [Crystal] Bleak says: attended play of multiple accounts is not illegal

: [Crystal] Rasesar Wej says: what about using programs to mirror actions across clients

: [Crystal] Rasesar Wej says: with “atteneded” keystrokes

: [Crystal] Lady Mesanna says: I will only say the only thing we can do is action against unattended macroing

: [Crystal] Rasesar Wej says: ok so its legal. roger
Mesanna clearly either doesn't understand what multiboxing is, or she is willfully confusing running multiple clients (which is clearly legal) with multiboxing multiple clients using a 3rd party program (clearly illegal) to replicate commands across those clients.

If Mesanna is saying multiboxing is legal, she's giving a glib middle finger to not only every non-cheating player, but screwing over her EMs in the process.

Also, saying "I will only say the only thing we can do is action against unattended macroing" is a complete lie/cop out and she should be ashamed for even thinking it. You have a ToS/RoC that says you can basically do WTF you want.

@Mesanna Seriously, take a stand against the rampant cheating in UO. If you aren't going to help solve it, then you're part of the problem as its official enabler.

:facepalm:

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been present at a couple of meet and greets when Mesanna was asked about Multi-boxing. Her answer was always that its fine for players to do it. They will not take action against multi-boxing only against Unattended macroing..

One example::: Lake Austin Meet and Greet, Weds. January the 21st - Old Stratics
As I am only speaking from a technical/theoretical view throughout this thread, I stand by my words. Cause it is not possible to multibox, in the sense mentioned, with only "UO Pro" apps, and in that sense it is still technically not allowed as a third party application is needed. That it is near impossible to enforce is another matter. Note how she at no point sanction it, but says: "the only way we can action anyone is to get them macroing". The difference is in the wording.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I am only speaking from a technical/theoretical view throughout this thread, I stand by my words. Cause it is not possible to multibox, in the sense mentioned, with only "UO Pro" apps, and in that sense it is still technically not allowed as a third party application is needed. That it is near impossible to enforce is another matter. Note how she at no point sanction it, but says: "the only way we can action anyone is to get them macroing". The difference is in the wording.
It isn't rocket science to see who's multiboxing illegally at an EM event... EVERYONE who isn't doing it has seen it..... reported it .... and given up... Honestly it's not hard to see people with 3 or 4 characters all dressed and everything similar to one another doing the exact same actions at the exact same time... if @Mesanna wants to act like an ostrich and stick her head in the sand and ignore it then the ONLY message that's sending is that she IS in league with them..... or she simply doesn't care about the rest of the players who don't cheat to win.