• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Luck Suit Swapping EC v CC

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
And btw the EC Cab have ur lovely old paperdolls and Containers also you can make your window the same small size as in CC
Although I play the EC with Pinco's purely for functionality I honestly thought it looked better....well....except in one respect. Poor Freja got dry looted and had to cobble together a new suit....and I wanted to thank the looter when I saw her new outfit in the EC....

No, she insisted, it looked WAY better in the CC....so I reset my client to show legacy paper dolls....oh my.....

Seriously, many very young gamers love to play very retro looking games - games made before they were even born.

The original Ultima Online look is immensely charming and people bond with the look of a game. This doesn't make them dinosaurs or backward. I use the EC largely due to its features. If UO had a development team the size of mainstream online games then we could reasonably insist on a fresh client that offered us the look of either version. My preference would be a choice between original and Kingdom Reborn.

In my dreams! :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Except a large portion of the functionality being requested already exists in the CC.

The code is already written to save what is being worn.
The code is already written to completely dress a character from items your pack or from a container based on what was saved.

All that needs to be added is the ability to call the code with a macro. Not rocket science by any means. Furthermore, what should be a fairly easy add, would improve the satisfaction of roughly half the player base. Easily as justifiably as any art change to the EC.
Exactly. Some guy by himself in his basement seems to be able to pull off some amazing things :) Doesn't seem to be a stretch to assume some of this stuff could be done "offically".

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I assume you mean via UOA?
No, in the CC itself.

When you die in the CC, somewhere it saves what you were wearing... The entire suit.

When you double click your corpse in the CC it completely dresses your character from your pack (insured items) or from the corpse based on what was previously saved.

That is not UOA, that is code from the CC.

Adding a macro to save the suit and a macro to dress using the same code shouldn't be all that involved.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, in the CC itself.

When you die in the CC, somewhere it saves what you were wearing... The entire suit.

When you double click your corpse in the CC it completely dresses your character from your pack (insured items) or from the corpse based on what was previously saved.

That is not UOA, that is code from the CC.

Adding a macro to save the suit and a macro to dress using the same code shouldn't be all that involved.
I personally cannot comment on how those two things relate, nor on the ease of coding a system that allows you to switch gear.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally cannot comment on how those two things relate, nor on the ease of coding a system that allows you to switch gear.
The point is, they wouldn't have to completely reinvent the wheel requiring massive amounts of time to create code from scratch. All of the functionality is already coded... It just needs to be accessible via a macro.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The point is, they wouldn't have to completely reinvent the wheel requiring massive amounts of time to create code from scratch. All of the functionality is already coded... It just needs to be accessible via a macro.
Like I said, I honestly don't know what they would have to do. I'm not a programmer, and ever were I, I don't know what working with this code is like. *shrug*

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Like I said, I honestly don't know what they would have to do. I'm not a programmer, and ever were I, I don't know what working with this code is like. *shrug*
Were you ever an EM or such? UO could make you a lead programmer in a couple years.... *grins*

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Were you ever an EM or such? UO could make you a lead programmer in a couple years.... *grins*
Does she even program? You don't have to program to be a developer. I think only 2 of the devs program at all, correct me if I am mistaken.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Does she even program? You don't have to program to be a developer. I think only 2 of the devs program at all, correct me if I am mistaken.
I'm pretty dang sure Mesanna has never programmed. Wasn't talking about her.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty dang sure Mesanna has never programmed. Wasn't talking about her.
Whats the beef then? That an EM because a developer? I would assume they had a resume beyond being a developer. I doubt they just took who ever you are referring to at their word about their ability to do the work, heh.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Whats the beef then? That an EM because a developer? I would assume they had a resume beyond being a developer. I doubt they just took who ever you are referring to at their word about their ability to do the work, heh.
*sighs* I'll try and figure out what your talking about. I'm saying we don't have programmers with a depth of experience. You can assume anything you want, but show me some facts :) 4 years ago Kyronix was an EM. As far as I know he's probably the best programmer we have now. He seems like a really nice guy who clearly has tried very hard and done pretty well all considered. To do as well as he does in just 4 years is pretty amazing. But I see little real major experience there. I'd think if UO was really going to town our programmers would have a Computer Science degree and 10 to 15 years practical experience minimum. This is the real deal here with EA, not some facebook game. As far as Mesanna goes I think she handles player problems 2nd to none. I think she's been able to keep the "wheels on the bus", considering the situation she's in, that could be called amazing. I feel what she lacks is creativity. She seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut. I'd like to see some bold new ideas, actually the in game store might actually be one. But it's possible any bold new ideas might require some hard core game programming experience. Who knows? I *feel* most people know how what I think about the art so not even a reason to beat that horse again currently. The point being I don't see the "jurassic CC client" as the problem to why we don't have more features on the CC. It's really the CC client that is the major beef that keeps cropping up here on Stratics. The longer one keeps ignoring that and saying it's impossible to code, well UO is just shooting it's self in the foot. As long as the CC continues to bleed so will UO. OI. I made a joke above and here we go again... but your on your own this time. Cause this is getting stupid... again.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if even 90% of the players were using the EC that wouldn't be any reason to remove the CC...
Exactly true. Which is what the developers just said in the interview before Christmas. (Plus - they purposefully pointed this out to drive the point home.)

It would be nice if they gave an update to that with more specifics, like how many months the average CC new player stays before leaving compared to the average EC new player so we could see which client has the higher satisfaction rate from new players or things like that.
It would also be interesting to see what the breakdown in client choice was for new players. How many actually choose CC, how many actually choose EC. Of course, then you also have to ask, if you use it for a week, then switch and play with the other for a year, which did you actually choose, how long of a time frame are you looking at to determine use, did either really retain the player if the sub was over after a year, etc. Lots and lots of metrics.

For client user-ship, I have a sneaking suspicion that it isn't a simple threshold. I would suspect there is a percentage of the players that only use the EC, a percentage that only use the CC, a percentage that use one most of the time, but dabble in the other and vice versa, along with some that split time fairly evenly. This might be part of the reason that even when the developers give numbers, they hedge and say "about".

Let's say they gave a client user-ship update once every year. What good would it do? If it moved back to 60/40 CC/EC, a portion of the players would scream bloody murder to get rid of the EC. If it continued the trend and moved to 40/60 CC/EC, a portion of the players would scream bloody murder to get rid of the CC. Plus, some of the players would ignore the number - whatever it was - and just keep making up what they wanted to hear, then repeating the made up number ad-nauseam.

I would love to see updates on client user-ship and overall player base, etc. The technical stuff is interesting to me. I loved the last newsletter with the definition of perspective and the explanation of the artwork and the reasoning behind the choices made. It seems like a few of us do really enjoy that peek behind the scenes.

However, that type of (subscriber) info is probably corporate confidential (legal, market competition, etc.). Also, potentially incendiary to an already.....passionate?.....player base.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sighs* I'll try and figure out what your talking about. I'm saying we don't have programmers with a depth of experience. You can assume anything you want, but show me some facts :) 4 years ago Kyronix was an EM. As far as I know he's probably the best programmer we have now. He seems like a really nice guy who clearly has tried very hard and done pretty well all considered. To do as well as he does in just 4 years is pretty amazing. But I see little real major experience there. I'd think if UO was really going to town our programmers would have a Computer Science degree and 10 to 15 years practical experience minimum. This is the real deal here with EA, not some facebook game. As far as Mesanna goes I think she handles player problems 2nd to none. I think she's been able to keep the "wheels on the bus", considering the situation she's in, that could be called amazing. I feel what she lacks is creativity. She seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut. I'd like to see some bold new ideas, actually the in game store might actually be one. But it's possible any bold new ideas might require some hard core game programming experience. Who knows? I *feel* most people know how what I think about the art so not even a reason to beat that horse again currently. The point being I don't see the "jurassic CC client" as the problem to why we don't have more features on the CC. It's really the CC client that is the major beef that keeps cropping up here on Stratics. The longer one keeps ignoring that and saying it's impossible to code, well UO is just shooting it's self in the foot. As long as the CC continues to bleed so will UO. OI. I made a joke above and here we go again... but your on your own this time. Cause this is getting stupid... again.
I would have to assume that he had schooling as well as a resume to show that he was capable of the duties the job entailed. I doubt his application read "Former EM" and that was it. It seems you are basing his perceived inadequacy on the fact that he was an EM 4 years ago, and that you don't approve of the games direction during his tenure. The former seems like a plus to me, and the latter is a bit unfair, since he's not in charge.

Also, again, people aren't saying its impossible to work on the CC... just impractical.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would also be interesting to see what the breakdown in client choice was for new players. How many actually choose CC, how many actually choose EC. Of course, then you also have to ask, if you use it for a week, then switch and play with the other for a year, which did you actually choose, how long of a time frame are you looking at to determine use, did either really retain the player if the sub was over after a year, etc. Lots and lots of metrics.
I think starting out on this game it would be pretty impractical to not use the EC. People surely expect a lot of basic UI stuff that the CC doesn't do. Heck, there are plenty of things I want to do, but I don't because it would be impractical on the CC.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think starting out on this game it would be pretty impractical to not use the EC. People surely expect a lot of basic UI stuff that the CC doesn't do. Heck, there are plenty of things I want to do, but I don't because it would be impractical on the CC.
This is what I've run into personally attempting to get new people to try UO. For the few I've talked into looking, the graphics look horrid in both clients. The client functionality was the decision point.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a huge benefit for the EC users and when I say benefit I mean unfair advantage.
That just evens it out a bit.
CC also has lots of unfair advantages. I.e.:
  • UOA, which can be turned with minimal effort into a nice little cheat tool.
  • Support for lots of illegal 3rd party scripting utilities.

I'd say, EC & CC are even...

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

What if I told you 3rd party programs exist for both clients? (it was only a matter of time for that to happen anyway).

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I guess you don't know you can run any script in EC with illegal programs that you can run in CC

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the ability to swap suits like this.

I have a luck suit on pretty much every character now. Once the boss is about to die I press my macro and boom! I'm suddenly feeling lucky.

I also have a full LRC suit with jewels to bump my necro to 120 on my sampire. When I die I can pretty much instantly equip my LRC suit and cast vamp form first time.

I have no problem with them adding this to the classic client. Its just up to the dev team I guess.

Its only taken them how many years to even start talking about changing the gameplay window size so I feel you will be in for quite a wait.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What if I told you 3rd party programs exist for both clients? (it was only a matter of time for that to happen anyway).
I guess you don't know you can run any script in EC with illegal programs that you can run in CC
TBH, no.
But at least (from my perspective) they're much harder to google than their CC counterparts (just googled around a bit, for CC i find tons, EC scarcely).

Anyways, back to the topic, especially about the EC having an unfair advantage:

Just see it as a sales pitch to lure you to the dark side....
:devil:
(Yeah, we all know, the graphics suck in the EC, but nobody really judges UO by its cover, right? :rolleyes: )

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There are certain benefits to the enhanced client that should stay exclusive to the enhanced client - the suit swapping macro(s) is an example of one.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
PS. The graphics in Classic Client suck too. No one is fooling anyone here.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are certain benefits to the enhanced client that should stay exclusive to the enhanced client - the suit swapping macro(s) is an example of one.
Ha, and why is that?

You know, It should be a rule... you should need to explain "why" you agree/disagree with someone when posting about a topic here.
(a lot more would probably get done, as it would filter out the biased players & trolls, especially when the Devs are asking for feedback)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You know, It should be a rule... you should need to explain "why" you agree/disagree with someone when posting about a topic here.
No, there shouldn't be any such rule.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It is NOT an unfair advantage...... YOU have the right to use this too... you just have to get out of the Jurassic period and use the EC.... if you do you can have all the advantages it brings.

This is the new era and if you chose to remain in the Jurassic period you will get left behind.
Rather like the Amish and Mennonites... they chose that lifestyle.... they chose to get left behind and use horsedrawn carts and buggies.... they opt out of the modern era... if you opt out that's on you. The tools are there for you to use the fact that you refuse to do it is no ones problem but your own.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Could we add a few troll emoji and troll feeding emoji to our fun list

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
It is not you vs me, it is not us vs them... This is our game and few of you die hards will quit before you or the game ends. Wrap yer heads around that. Anyone wishing for miracles deserves to go to face book game hell.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rather like the Amish and Mennonites... they chose that lifestyle.... they chose to get left behind and use horsedrawn carts and buggies.... they opt out of the modern era... if you opt out that's on you. The tools are there for you to use the fact that you refuse to do it is no ones problem but your own.
See you think the EC is modern era that's where your wrong. It has some good functionality sure but the graphics are GOD awful just the worst ever.They will add option such as the suit swapping to the CC if enough people want it or maybe they just nerf the way you can take advantage of throwing a suit one for 20 seconds to gain a huge benefit. Why the hell is luck even a thing if you can throw a suit on at moment of death, cheats the point of having to use a luck suit

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I would have to assume that he had schooling as well as a resume to show that he was capable of the duties the job entailed. I doubt his application read "Former EM" and that was it. It seems you are basing his perceived inadequacy on the fact that he was an EM 4 years ago, and that you don't approve of the games direction during his tenure. The former seems like a plus to me, and the latter is a bit unfair, since he's not in charge.

Also, again, people aren't saying its impossible to work on the CC... just impractical.
Are you speaking for ME!. OMG! lol You put a lot more words in my mouth than I did! All I'm really saying is there is a reason our current team is afraid to work on the CC client and it's not because it's impossible to work on the CC. Most of you post is a guess, so I suppose if it's ok for you, then it's ok for me.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
PS. The graphics in Classic Client suck too. No one is fooling anyone here.
I honestly love the CC graphics. You really don't hear EC players saying they love the EC graphics much. On a side note it feels good to disagree with you again. It was getting weird there for awhile :D

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you speaking for ME!. OMG! lol You put a lot more words in my mouth than I did! All I'm really saying is there is a reason our current team is afraid to work on the CC client and it's not because it's impossible to work on the CC. Most of you post is a guess, so I suppose if it's ok for you, then it's ok for me.
Guessing is fine, but I don't think the reasoning for your guesses is especially sound, from what I can tell.

And for like the 50th time, no one ever said it was impossible to work with the CC. They aren't afraid, they just don't want to waste effort doing the same stuff twice.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Guessing is fine, but I don't think the reasoning for your guesses is especially sound, from what I can tell.

And for like the 50th time, no one ever said it was impossible to work with the CC. They aren't afraid, they just don't want to waste effort doing the same stuff twice.
Good point. They should do it once on the more popular client :D

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I also have a full LRC suit with jewels to bump my necro to 120 on my sampire. When I die I can pretty much instantly equip my LRC suit and cast vamp form first time.
Behold, amid the endless client wars, a damn good idea! I never thought of carrying another second suit besides the luck suit in my backpack and also assigning it an insta-dress icon so I could go back into vamp form without running back home for the reagents. :) Now how about a trick to rez my own swampie ... ?

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Behold, amid the endless client wars, a damn good idea! I never thought of carrying another second suit besides the luck suit in my backpack and also assigning it an insta-dress icon so I could go back into vamp form without running back home for the reagents. :) Now how about a trick to rez my own swampie ... ?
why even bother with giving us lrc suits and luck suits if we can click one button and get instant benefit. Just allow us more mods on suits :)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It is also a great idea to add MR and HPR and max LMC to that suit, so you regain mana to cast vamp form faster and also regain a bit of HP in the meantime.
Pretty handy to have that spare suit in your pack when running the EC.

Now, for the swampie, you'd have to kill Medusa to get her blood and do that res potion to use on pets.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Now, for the swampie, you'd have to kill Medusa to get her blood and do that res potion to use on pets.
Yah, looking for something easier cause I'm lazy :) (There's also the option of the tamer on the other account hiding nearby)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
why even bother with giving us lrc suits and luck suits if we can click one button and get instant benefit. Just allow us more mods on suits :)
Sorry, old chap, you started out talking about how unfair it is that you can have 2 suits in EC, and now we're saying you can actually have a lot more than that. ;)

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry, old chap, you started out talking about how unfair it is that you can have 2 suits in EC, and now we're saying you can actually have a lot more than that. ;)
Trust me, we were well aware of what can be done with this feature, which is why CC users should get the option to use it.

in PvP this suit swap feature is ridiculously overpowered. being able to switch from 90 melee skill and 90 ranged skill (depending on which weapon you use at the time) to 120 in whenever you want is OP, essentially freeing up 60.0+ skill for something else, that's also not counting any additional skills you may have on items.

Add it for both Clients Or Remove it from EC, It really needs to be equalized.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Trust me, we were well aware of what can be done with this feature, which is why CC users should get the option to use it.

in PvP this suit swap feature is ridiculously overpowered. being able to switch from 90 melee skill and 90 ranged skill (depending on which weapon you use at the time) to 120 in whenever you want is OP, essentially freeing up 60.0+ skill for something else, that's also not counting any additional skills you may have on items.

Add it for both Clients Or Remove it from EC, It really needs to be equalized.
I agree. Switching from legendary archer to legendary swordsman in an instant is Super Cool (although I don't PvP, as you no doubt know). Since I don't want it removed from EC, I vote for adding it to CC.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah i'm looking for even playing ground or get it nerfed since its such an unfair advantage :)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have always thought that this feature should be on CC as well. It is much too useful.
But I am sticking to the EC, no matter what.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree. Switching from legendary archer to legendary swordsman in an instant is Super Cool (although I don't PvP, as you no doubt know). Since I don't want it removed from EC, I vote for adding it to CC.
I'm sure most people would share the same point of view.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Devs need to send New Players to the CC so they get a good looking working client to learn the game with instead of the EC that looks worse than the CC and has all kinds of problems as mentioned all over these forums. They likely currently download the :cheerleader:Enhanced!!!:cheerleader: client and see how bad it looks and run across it's problems and write off UO as a poorly made game and move on to another game. Using the CC as they start playing would likely keep them playing long enough to get into the game and enjoy it.