• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Luck Suit Swapping EC v CC

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we CC users get a suit swap option like the EC has. EC users can use a non luck suit which always has more mods=better character and when something gets close to death hit 1 button and it swaps to there luck suit so they get full benefits of max luck when the creature dies. This is a huge benefit for the EC users and when I say benefit I mean unfair advantage.
@Kyronix @Bleak

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can we CC users get a suit swap option like the EC has. EC users can use a non luck suit which always has more mods=better character and when something gets close to death hit 1 button and it swaps to there luck suit so they get full benefits of max luck when the creature dies. This is a huge benefit for the EC users and when I say benefit I mean unfair advantage.
@Kyronix @Bleak
It is NOT an unfair advantage...... YOU have the right to use this too... you just have to get out of the Jurassic period and use the EC.... if you do you can have all the advantages it brings.

This is the new era and if you chose to remain in the Jurassic period you will get left behind.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is NOT an unfair advantage...... YOU have the right to use this too... you just have to get out of the Jurassic period and use the EC.... if you do you can have all the advantages it brings.

This is the new era and if you chose to remain in the Jurassic period you will get left behind.
Seems like this is getting some likes so I guess i'm not alone. I would rather quit UO than play the EC so your point of play the EC instead it not even a valid point.
I guess you think it's fair you can get a monster down to 1 hp and throw a luck suit on and benefit when the CC user can not? The majority of people who play UO play in the CC deserve this kind of feature.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

It's an unfair advantage, There's really nothing else you could call it. Just because people are able to choose between two different clients, they get penalized for choosing classic in a sense.

The fact of the matter is code is already available for this to be enabled in CC. The same thing is used with mannequins & the "equip last weapon" macro is essentially the same thing.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope they don't waste any of their absurdly limited resources on adding features to that fossil of a client. It'd probably break the whole damn thing and waste more time and effort.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To be an "Unfair" advantage would be to have something you CAN'T ..... but since you CAN you just chose not to then it's NOT unfair.
If you do not play EC you "can't". When you get people who play EC fighting others who are playing CC, it's an unfair advantage.

It's beyond me why people would be against things for CC when they already have it in EC... Do you need something in EC to be "better" than CC, why even post if not for some other reason?

I don't get it.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried the EC several times. Even tried it a whole week once and it just made me not want to play UO. It is sickening in the way things look. The majority of the player base IS the Classic Client so this would be a good addition.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*Wakes up from his cozy spot by the fire*

Hearing the words fair and unfair, "ugh another shard shield argument."

*knowing anyone can xfer whenever they want he adjusts his robe throws a log on the fire and settles back down to his dreaming*

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
besides ... who's to say that you "can't" do this in the CC client using certain unapproved 3rd party programs anyway and have the best of both worlds - lololol

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
The majority of the player base IS the Classic Client so this would be a good addition.
That's because there is virtually no one else left in the game. All that's left is 'left over' jurassics, and a few UO die hards that use the EC.

The game has been bleeding badly because of continued support for a classic client which can't attract new players.

They should drop the crap client for good. Kiss all the jurassics goodbye (Good Riddance!) and focus on 1 client the EC,and bring in some high resolution art. Then throw the game on steam in attempt to attract some new players, and prolong UO's life. Actually no, this is what should have happened 5-7 years ago, and they decided not to go that route...so here we are....

Luckily, for all you Jurassics..the Dev Team are also Jurassics as evident by their decision making over the past 5 years. Fear not your in good hands..

The Devs hammered the nails in the coffin 5+ years ago when they decided to continue to support a 20 year old client.

I have no doubt the Devs will once again try and appease the Jurassics by increasing the game window & attempt to 'enhance' a 20 year old UI. :rolleyes:

What they should do it put the client to rest...for good.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I took this post to be a question to Bleak and Kyronix - can it be done and when? So I would think further discussion would be pointless without an answer from them. But I bet we're going to get more discussion anyway, aren't we?
*Walks off to get a drink to put Lord Nabin back to sleep *

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
That's because there is virtually no one else left in the game. All that's left is 'left over' jurassics, and a few UO die hards that use the EC.

The game has been bleeding badly because of continued support for a classic client which can't attract new players.

They should drop the crap client for good. Kiss all the jurassics goodbye (Good Riddance!) and focus on 1 client the EC,and bring in some high resolution art. Then throw the game on steam in attempt to attract some new players, and prolong UO's life. Actually no, this is what should have happened 5-7 years ago, and they decided not to go that route...so here we are....

Luckily, for all you Jurassics..the Dev Team are also Jurassics as evident by their decision making over the past 5 years. Fear not your in good hands..

The Devs hammered the nails in the coffin 5+ years ago when they decided to continue to support a 20 year old client.

I have no doubt the Devs will once again try and appease the Jurassics by increasing the game window & attempt to 'enhance' a 20 year old UI. :rolleyes:
Uhm No

The OP made a common sense request.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Getting rid of 60% of the player base will not help the game, it will just cause it's immediate death.

View attachment 44309
I think he just posts to try and anger people. Usually I just ignore the comments as they are pointless

It's hard to have a battle of witts with an unarmed person

*nods at Yadd in thanks for the drink*

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ha-ha CC users -"don't change our client. We want it exactly the same as 20 yrs ago ...but give us the new stuff". EC users - you CC users are killing this game. Just quit so we lose half our pop and the game closes... " I can't imagine why this game doesn't get many new players...

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Getting rid of 60% of the player base will not help the game, it will just cause it's immediate death.

View attachment 44309
Captain...please don't tell me that you place high stock in a stratics poll!?

Only the Devs would able to know the real numbers...can we agree on that!?

I'd rather see all the jurassics go, and open up a door to new players via a client that is modern and looks good.

Clinging to the classic client your guaranteeing UO has no chance of survival. Going with a modern UI, and getting some nice art your opening up the possibility of breathing life into UO.

Any conversation on this subject is academic at best.

As Hannes Erich clearly pointed out there is no resources to make any changes, and no developer would want to touch this game.

I see the game I love more than other go down the tubes, because it wouldn't adapt to changing times.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I completely agree that only the devs know the real numbers, and for sure Stratics polls aren't exactly the most accurate way of judging the player base, but since the devs refuse to tell us the real statistics for some reason they are better than nothing I guess lol.

I just don't think getting rid of either client would be a good idea due to large amounts of players that would be lost because of it.

Windows 95 is so cool though! ;)

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I completely agree that only the devs know the real numbers, and for sure Stratics polls aren't exactly the most accurate way of judging the player base, but since the devs refuse to tell us the real statistics for some reason they are better than nothing I guess lol.

I just don't think getting rid of either client would be a good idea due to large amounts of players that would be lost because of it.

Windows 95 is so cool though! ;)
Keeping the status quo means the UO franchise just bleeds out...

I can't abide that...

If you give me the choice between no hope and some hope, guess which I'm gonna choose.

CC client = no hope for survival. Any other client = some hope for survival.

Some players are fine with UO just dying a slow death. I'm not one of them.

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

I'd rather see all the jurassics go, and open up a door to new players via a client that is modern and looks good.

Clinging to the classic client your guaranteeing UO has no chance of survival. Going with a modern UI, and getting some nice art your opening up the possibility of breathing life into UO.

Any conversation on this subject is academic at best.

As Hannes Erich clearly pointed out there is no resources to make any changes, and no developer would want to touch this game.

I see the game I love more than other go down the tubes, because it wouldn't adapt to changing times.
Jurassics Rock !!!,,,"Holds up shaky, Feeble Fist"

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The majority of people who play UO play in the CC deserve this kind of feature.
The majority of the player base IS the Classic Client so this would be a good addition.
This is blantantly false. The developers have stated that the usership was 50/50 CC/EC two years ago, with growth in the direction of the EC. Client usership is discussed at 3 min 1 sec in the following video.

As Uvtha and I discussed in the other thread, the trend of growth towards the EC would indicate that client use is now majority EC. However, we also have to recognize that the trend toward the EC may have slowed or even reversed.

The devs do not refuse to tell us the real statistics. This is also blantantly false.

The developers have given out the numbers at least 3 times. Shortly after the client first launched when it was stated client use was about 70/30 CC/EC. A year or so later when they stated, much to my surprise, that client use was still about 60/40 CC/EC, and two years ago when Messana stated it was 50/50 CC/EC.

You should remember this Captn, as you posted in the thread where this real statistic was pointed out.

My Analysis for the State of UO Interview with Cliffnotes

It is not that they are not telling us. It is that they must just get sick of all the nonsense. Even when the developers give a factual statement with numbers, the player base wants to argue, deny the numbers, and/or make things up.

Last edited:

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I can't abide that...

If you give me the choice between no hope and some hope, guess which I'm gonna choose.

@ honeycombsugarbear - keep cheerleading the third in a long failed line of alternate clients (3 now i Believe).

one thing is true though - the current dev team has taken the stance that they can not modify the CC. That is a huge statement.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix @Bleak
I think its completely unlikely that the CC gets any updates of any kind.

P.s. Enjoy the fireworks. :/

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As Uvtha and I discussed in the other thread, the trend of growth towards the EC would indicate that client use is now majority EC. However, we also have to recognize that the trend toward the EC may have slowed or even reversed.
Of course I disagreed with the conclusion you drew, but... :p

Anyway, at the current number id bet losing even 20% of players would probably K.O. this game, besides if even 90% of the players were using the EC that wouldn't be any reason to remove the CC, as they haven't put any dev time in on the CC in like 7+ years other than adding spells to the macro list. It's certainly not holding the game back development wise.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I can't abide that...

You realize that the EC is the status quo as well right? The classic client doesn't hurt the game whatever. It doesn't get dev time, nor has it for many years. As for UO dying a slow death, it is, but that's got nothing to do with the CC. It's a nearly 20 year old game... it's gonna die eventually. Why you are pinning that solely on the shoulders of the CC is beyond me.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is blantantly false. The developers have stated that the usership was 50/50 CC/EC two years ago, with growth in the direction of the EC. Client usership is discussed at 3 min 1 sec in the following video.

The devs do not refuse to tell us the real statistics. This is also blantantly false.

The developers have given out the numbers at least 3 times. Shortly after the client first launched when it was stated client use was about 70/30 CC/EC. A year or so later when they stated, much to my surprise, that client use was still about 60/40 CC/EC, and two years ago when Messana stated it was 50/50 CC/EC.

You should remember this Captn, as you posted in the thread where this real statistic was pointed out.

My Analysis for the State of UO Interview with Cliffnotes

It is not that they are not telling us. It is that they must just get sick of all the nonsense. Even when the developers give a factual statement with numbers, the player base wants to argue, deny the numbers, and/or make things up.
OTE]

everything in your thread is two years old...

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
making one client better than the other, faster ect, is not be good for the game. most people I know just want things to be fair between the 2 clients. when people don't think things are fair, some will leave the game like many of my friends. they don't leave because of art, game content ect.. the same thing happens with cheating. why would people stay. as more leave this will be brought up again and again.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
making one client better than the other, faster ect, is not be good for the game. most people I know just want things to be fair between the 2 clients. when people don't think things are fair, some will leave the game like many of my friends. they don't leave because of art, game content ect.. the same thing happens with cheating. why would people stay. as more leave this will be brought up again and again.
How many times do the DEVs have to say that they will no longer be doing major updates to the CC... Messing with that ugly string of code is not something they can safely do and destroying it would be good for the game how?

Face it the client and it's code are extremely outdated.... much of it is undocumented and completely F'd. Now they are hiring an Engineer but my guess is they aren't going to find someone willing to work with that code or even capable of working with it. Most who were have either LONG since moved on.... and well lets face it I highly doubt that Broadsword could afford to pay most of them that could work on it... they have died... or have no interest. And most of the "young pups" graduating these days have much higher aspirations than working on a 20 year old game.

Top that off with having to live in Virginia... yeah...

So unless you know someone capable and willing to tackle it I wouldn't be crying "unfair" I'd see if they could probably do something FAR more possible which would be to make the EC "look" fugly and outdated like the CC and move on.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean... just use the EC? They didn't make it work better and faster... it just works better because it's modern. The CC works poorly because its like 20 years old, what do you expect? If function is what you care about not art, then why are you not on the EC in the first place? The only reason to not use the EC is you don't like the aesthetics. They aren't going to update the CC, so you might as well make your decision now, and get used to playing the EC, or accept the limitation of the CC.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many times do the DEVs have to say that they will no longer be doing major updates to the CC... Messing with that ugly string of code is not something they can safely do and destroying it would be good for the game how?

Face it the client and it's code are extremely outdated.... much of it is undocumented and completely F'd. Now they are hiring an Engineer but my guess is they aren't going to find someone willing to work with that code or even capable of working with it. Most who were have either LONG since moved on.... and well lets face it I highly doubt that Broadsword could afford to pay most of them that could work on it... they have died... or have no interest. And most of the "young pups" graduating these days have much higher aspirations than working on a 20 year old game.

Top that off with having to live in Virginia... yeah...

So unless you know someone capable and willing to tackle it I wouldn't be crying "unfair" I'd see if they could probably do something FAR more possible which would be to make the EC "look" fugly and outdated like the CC and move on.
Not to mention the absurdity of putting in a ton of time and work to essentially make ANOTHER of a client we already have... I mean really...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not to mention the absurdity of putting in a ton of time and work to essentially make ANOTHER of a client we already have... I mean really...
Exactly. If they spent more time fixing the EC and changing the aesthetics to please the CC users as in using CC paperdolls, CC mobs, etc.... and having a "toggle" for that.... I think they would get more people to switch.

If they put as much effort into that as they put into revamping some of the dungeons they destroyed then.... I think they would have something workable... that everyone would like.

And then the Art guy can focus on more things, the rest of them can stop trying to make sure things work in both clients and we could move forward by leaps and bounds.

And we would no longer have complaints about the size of the stupid window, not have any more debates about CC vs EC and most everyone would be on a much more "level" playing field.... of course then it wouldn't be long before some jerk-us who can't play the game without crutches invents some cheat program to go with the EC and destroy everything all over again. But hopefully they will have incorporated some sort of "anti-cheat" system into the EC by then that would keep folk from multi-boxing, scripting afk and botting....... one can dream can't they?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Your right, I forgot the devs said the statistic in that video. Thanks for pointing that out :)

It would be nice if they gave an update to that with more specifics, like how many months the average CC new player stays before leaving compared to the average EC new player so we could see which client has the higher satisfaction rate from new players or things like that.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Is there a way to turn off the trees off in the EC?
View attachment 44315
Actually you can but love the sarcasm. :)

I go back and forth with both clients. It would be nice if they concentrated on just one and removed the other, which ever one it would be but it won't happen as it is too late for that. The EC has grown on me and I primarily use that since I do not have to use a secondary program but I would go back to the CC if it were updated for a bigger screen and removed the need for UOA.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You'll do good to remember that without the older client the newer one wouldn't exist. Show some respect.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry guys. I understand that you are some Kind of nostalgig but I can't understand that u complain about not existing Features in a 20yr old piece of Software that will be not added. I mean obviousely they chose the EC as the new client.

Once you say u dont like the grafix and then it's the Features.

We have a saying here:
You will have do die one Kind of death anyway.

You can choose:
be a dinosaur because u want old Pixel -> use CC
Be in the new world with nice Features -> use the new default client

And btw the EC Cab have ur lovely old paperdolls and Containers also you can make your window the same small size as in CC

The only difference (except that its technically 1000times better) is some pets and animals all other differences are that small that u nearly cant See them.

Maybe you should just spend some time an give it a proper try

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Sorry guys. I understand that you are some Kind of nostalgig but I can't understand that u complain about not existing Features in a 20yr old piece of Software that will be not added. I mean obviousely they chose the EC as the new client.

Once you say u dont like the grafix and then it's the Features.

We have a saying here:
You will have do die one Kind of death anyway.

You can choose:
be a dinosaur because u want old Pixel -> use CC
Be in the new world with nice Features -> use the new default client

And btw the EC Cab have ur lovely old paperdolls and Containers also you can make your window the same small size as in CC

The only difference (except that its technically 1000times better) is some pets and animals all other differences are that small that u nearly cant See them.

Maybe you should just spend some time an give it a proper try
Neither client is being dropped ever. That's reality. Mesanna has said it several times. End of story, done. Deal with it. :) More clients, more options = a good thing. Does anyone *really* think either client is killing UO? Folks think *that's* the problem? lol They could work on the CC and toss it on test. If it works, it's works, if not, they tried. If they don't have the mad skills at least they tried. But they don't even try. If they need help how about hiring people that make all the 3rd party programs and run grey shards cause they are doing amazing things with the CC. Just saying. It's easy to make excuses why they don't work on the CC more, it's tough to actually roll up your sleeves and get it done. One person in the UO universe decides what direction we go in, there's your problem. Not which client you use. Not that it's *impossible* to work with the CC. It's takes people with skill AND desire. Hey! Maybe they'll surprise themselves and actually learn something about how the CC works! No one has ever accomplished something they never tried to achieve. As of now no one is being directed to even try and it is impossible to get anything done when one doesn't try. The only thing that holds back the CC is direction and effort.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not that it's *impossible* to work with the CC. It's takes people with skill AND desire.
But surely you must realize how foolish it would be to take the old client, the one that was abandoned for the new client, and devote pretty much all dev time for a long stretch to making it work... like the client we already currently have. That would be terrible management.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
But surely you must realize how foolish it would be to take the old client, the one that was abandoned for the new client, and devote pretty much all dev time for a long stretch to making it work... like the client we already currently have. That would be terrible management.
Only if you want to hang on to the majority of the player base.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Except a large portion of the functionality being requested already exists in the CC.

The code is already written to save what is being worn.
The code is already written to completely dress a character from items your pack or from a container based on what was saved.

All that needs to be added is the ability to call the code with a macro. Not rocket science by any means. Furthermore, what should be a fairly easy add, would improve the satisfaction of roughly half the player base. Easily as justifiably as any art change to the EC.