• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lucis Interface 1.0 is out now!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
No future releases are planned here. Most of the common problems are still exisiting since the closed beta and were not be fixed in over a year, my conclusion is that nobody cares about this client!

For me this means it is a waste of time to develop any new stuff for this client or in general for this game!

Join in and discuss if you want in the thread of Dermott http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-enha...22406-lack-development-spells-trouble-ec.html
As much as I wish the EC was better, it is actually quite good as it is, and I see no sign that it has been abandoned. What we have in UO is a relatively small dev team working on a massive project. They have a lot on their plate and I really think we all need to have some patience.

The EC is stable, provides good functionality, and is a long way from being abandoned. All of the really big nasty bugs that I can think of have been fixed, and some of them without a lot of fanfare.

Has anyone noticed that the mobiles window in Lucis Interface is now working pretty much as it should? That was a fix that came in without announcement, but it was a big deal to me at least.

J

Jonathan Baron

To pick up on what my clever Canadian friend just said, now that I've recovered from the shudder and the shock of the possibility of losing Lucis to despair, I have my sources that support what Llewen says.

I used to work in this business. Worked at Origin, in fact, in 00 during creation of the Renaissance Edition but was on the team to learn the ways of Origin enroute to work as a designer on another MMO that EA subsequently cancelled. I still know a few folks, some faring very well in the subsequent years.

Before committing my time to playing this game, and knowing EA's penchant for losing interest in still viable properties, I inquired. There may be online properties in jeopardy. On that I will not be specific. UO is not among them. UO is, in their view, stable. If that sounds a bit tepid, well, it is. Yet what it also means is that development will indeed continue albeit, as Llewen says, with a team of developers smaller than we'd prefer.

Its staff is small, under pressure to sacrifice cleaning up what it leaves behind in favor of creating new features, but that's as normal as rain in Seattle in this business. It doesn't mean things won't get done but you have your foreground and your background processes - all active, but some with more CPU applied than others.

It's frustrating, Lucis, I know. However the delight and enjoyment of this game has been enhanced enormously by the work you have done. For many it has become the Sine Qua Non of UO. In the end that means more than "love" from a corporation known for its fickle attention to anything but its top properties.

Before the big MMO hit, there were many smaller ones. Ironically the largest were the size UO is today. Mine was called Air Warrior - a WWII era air combat simulation. Our team was kept small as well by necessity. Open and cheap access to large networks, such as the Internet, didn't exist and we had to pay a huge chunk of our income from customers to the network itself. What made it work was the devotion of players, including and especially those with development talents and abilities like your own.

Difference is, we were able to acknowledge and encourage this openly and work closely with many contributors whose efforts we could not afford conventionally. They did it for the love it the game, and we paid heed. In many cases their features became incorporated in the game itself. Nowadays, for myriad legal reasons, that is not possible.

I will cease this expository digression and get to the point at last. The legacy client is hurting the game. It should not be an option on the 14 day trial page. The longer it exists the more outdated it becomes in look and feel and more images from it continue to propagate across the WWW, unintentionally causing many potential new players do dismiss UO as a relic. It cannot and should not be laid to rest but the EC is critically important to the future of this game. Without it, there is no long term future for UO. The developers know this but dare not express it for obvious reasons. Show clear attention to one client and you risk offending those employing the other.

All change in an MMO carries with it autonomic aversion to change that shouts louder and shriller than any praise. Thus, you are driven to feel like your hard work is being poured down a depth-less pit, even though many people, players and others, are indeed paying attention. We can say so. They, alas, cannot. They cannot say, as I often did in those earlier days, "Thank you for finishing the work that needed to be done on our game."

Jonathan

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The legacy client is hurting the game. It should not be an option on the 14 day trial page. The longer it exists the more outdated it becomes in look and feel and more images from it continue to propagate across the WWW, unintentionally causing many potential new players do dismiss UO as a relic.
A thousand times this. And this is one of the reasons why I have campaigned so hard to bring to heel the cheating monster that has ravaged the classic client. Many won't switch to, or support, the enhanced client so long as they can get scripts that will play the game for them that work with the classic client, or use art hacks which will allow them to do things they cannot do any other way.

The ultimate success of the enhanced client depends upon completely subduing the cheating monster in the classic client. And the success of the enhanced client is critical to the long term prosperity of the game itself.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This post of me doesn't mean i disappear from the game or from the forum it means i will not release any new features in the near future.

The deal with it is on the one hand i want to wake up the community to stay together and behind the development of the EC and on the other hand i see more fixes done on the custom UI than in any other offical patch, but i have no access to the source nor get i payed for it.

Another thing is this zero communication between the team and the modders or players.

And all this hurts me and makes me sad, i created this interface for the players and for the future of UO to make it a success and what i hear is "no atm we are not working on it" this sounds like everything is okay what do you want?!? Not hey cool you have done great work we are busy at the moment...

No they are creating a booster which is not working good on the EC and what I hear is "we have first developed it on the 2D client!!", wrong way for me, wrong decesion, wrong direction and so iam out.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just remember that the people who are disappointed by your decision aren't necessarily the devs, it is people like me who love your work.

J

Jonathan Baron

And myself, whose full enjoyment of Ultima Online began the day I began using it.

No pressure :)

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes but it is like with all good things created from anyone in the freetime. It comes the day like the UOAM creator you are no longer having fun in playing the game. I have firstly created the Interface for my own, but i thought hey if i have got so much fun the others should have fun too with it.

And now at the moment the game is booring i have played all content, i dont want to login because of the good looking graphics and then i see the bugs i would fix in a few days if i can get access to it, i recall to the stable and want to see my wonderfull self first tamend brown dragon and what i see is a red one etc. etc. ;). I want to play PvP and see people lagging doubbeling around the screen, with KR this was no problem, i want to have a good looking enviroment in my house, i see a ugly pixelated 2d enviroment, with KR this was no problem. All i dont see anymore is the UOKR has stopped working window every 2 hours, but now i only login for 30 minutes then i logging off ;).

And by the way it is completly equal which textures you are using the performance is the same, as i said a few days.

M

miniciti

I love your UI and I couldn't play without it. The mobile bars are UHMAZING! It's my favorite feature.
Just wanted to chime in and tell you that I certainly appreciate all the work you've put into it and hope to see more great stuff from you when you are inspired again.

J

Jonathan Baron

I understand. It's hardly any secret that the MMO as people know it has always been based on a deeply flawed underlying game mechanic that needs to keep you distracted with tedium while promising you a reward so limited that it lures you into repeating the tedium phase over and over again. It's packed with Fed-Ex quests, a soup sandwich of game environments, and few incentives to stimulate the "massive" or the "multiplayer" implied promises in the genre's somewhat silly name.

UO, in particular, is a rich collection of game systems in search of a game.

Bugs and design issues hasten burnout. Great relationships with other players delay it. Yet we all run our course with a game and I am not convinced that anyone has yet developed the proper balance between player retention and acquisition.

I wish the game still commanded your passionate interest though I confess that my motives for wishing so are selfish. Thank you, Lucis, for all you've done to make this game so much more enjoyable than it could have been otherwise.

I deeply appreciate it.

S

Scoobs

Morning all.

I am struggling to see the Lucis interface menu selection. I have downloaded the skin and copied it into the interface folder. The path reads userinterface>lucis interface>mods/source files. The skin is listed under the main menu options selection, but I cannot find the skin menu itself? Can anyone help?

Also, whilst mucking about with the ec options, i must have dismounted my mount and double clicked on it. I managed to kill it! Since when can we damage our pets?

Thanks for the help.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The skin is listed under the main menu options selection, but I cannot find the skin menu itself? Can anyone help?
It's on your main menu about 2/3's of the way down.

Also, whilst mucking about with the ec options, i must have dismounted my mount and double clicked on it. I managed to kill it! Since when can we damage our pets?
If you are in Felucca, or if you are in a guild and your pet is green to you, I believe, you can damage your pet. I'm not sure about blue in Trammel rules set areas. I have my mount macro put me in peace mode before the mount attempt so I don't have this problem.

S

Scoobs

Thanks for the reply.

My main menu reads:

Log Out
Exit Game
User Settings
Macros
Actions
Help
Bug report

Is it supposed to be on this menu?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks for the reply.

My main menu reads:

Log Out
Exit Game
User Settings
Macros
Actions
Help
Bug report

Is it supposed to be on this menu?
Yes it's supposed to be on that menu. Something is balled up. Either you haven't installed it properly or you haven't selected it properly. You just unzip it into your UserInterface folder, then on the log in screen you select it from the drop down menu that shows when you click on the "Custom UI" button. Make sure you hit "OK" after you select it.

S

Scoobs

Thanks again for your help. I'm too embarrassed to tell you what theproblem was but its working now!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, I figured it was something simple, but we all make mistakes like that - at least I know I do... :)

S

Scoobs

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the item intensity identification mod working at the same time as the Lucis mod?
Also, if I switch mods (for example from Lucis to copper enhanced, will all my character settings be saved?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Does anyone know if it is possible to have the item intensity identification mod working at the same time as the Lucis mod?
Also, if I switch mods (for example from Lucis to copper enhanced, will all my character settings be saved?
Yes you can use the item properties mod, just put the files in the "Lucis Interface\source" folder. You need to use the standalone version, not the files from Copper Enhanced. And you can safely switch between Lucis and Copper without losing your settings. However if you start moving icons around etc. in one, you will see the changes in the other as well.

S

Scoobs

Llewen

Thank you for all your advice. Its great to have all this help so quickly!

I have looked on the Modder Exchange website and cannot see the items property mod listed. I can only see ItemPropertyHighighting which I don't think is the same thing?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Llewen

Thank you for all your advice. Its great to have all this help so quickly!

I have looked on the Modder Exchange website and cannot see the items property mod listed. I can only see ItemPropertyHighighting which I don't think is the same thing?
You're right, it's not the same thing. It looks like it was taken down. It is somewhat flawed, but I still use it. I'm not sure where you can get it now. If you want to ICQ me I can try send it to you that way, 11893766 (make sure you send me a note with your auth request, I don't accept auth requests with no message).

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have modded the itemporperties mod out there to work with my Interface.

You are atm not able to change any of the settings, it will be included in a fruther release, if i can be sure that the author give me the permission to use his code.

You can download it use the link in my signature. If you want to use it extract it to Lucis Interface\Mods

:grouphug:

J

Jonathan Baron

That sounds to me, Lucitus, like at least an implied assurance that you will continue to support your splendid interface. This is wonderful news, from my point of view. Were you to quit, the alternatives are either the the stock UI or a mod package rife with the aesthetic sensibilities of a motorcycle airbrush artist.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Were you to quit, the alternatives are either the the stock UI or a mod package rife with the aesthetic sensibilities of a motorcycle airbrush artist.
Excuse me, I happen to be a big fan of certain airbrush art, and tatoos for that matter... ;)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It's okay to have terrible taste....vox populi, vox dei ;)
And just to restore my reputation, I haven't seen any airbrushed art I thought was brilliant, but I'm open to the possibility. But I do love gothic tatoos... :)

J

Jonathan Baron

One small bug with the item properties mod I've noticed is that it adds commas in numbers even when the number is a date. The year 2002, for example, becomes 2,002....accurate, after a fashion, but most odd :)

J

Jonathan Baron

Lucitus:

Wondering whether you're still with us and whether you will be continuing to support your fine interface. It's running fine now, even after several game patches. I wish they'd like you ignore that damned notice that the version of the Lucius UI you're using is a different version number but their Ignore button only works once per game session.

I truly hope you will carry on with this. It's splendid work and so, so useful to the point that many of us I'm sure would have a tough time without it.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This hasn't been updated in a long time. I'd suggest you try Pinco's UI, as it has most of the features Lucis' Interface has, plus many others. Full credit though to Lucitus for pioneering some of the best features of Pinco's UI. There is a stickied thread at the top of this forum and link to the download for Pinco's UI in the signature of the first post in that thread.

I

icd

oh thanks llewen but i love pinco UI but i liked the Classic paper doll and looks, is there a way to put classic paperdoll back on pincos ??
thanks

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think there is an option in the options somewhere for that, although I think it is for the default EC paperdoll, if that is what you mean. I don't know about "classic" as in "classic client".

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe a long dead thread revieved ;)

I got a new job this year as software developer ;) Much work todo at the moment and i have no time to develop and maintain my Interface at the moment.

Iam also enyoing playing a bug free and ready game named Diablo 3, here you can see how a good product should look like, i mean UO is dead in my eyes, without a strong revieve we will not see any good additions in the future, but iam still here reading and also my accounts are up and ready, i still have hope, no not hope lesser than that.

I will get the download site up and running again by the next weekend, you should be able to get the latest running version of the Interface but without support and gurantee.