• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Live Tweets from Syndcon by Taylor

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh tis is a big one......

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM54s
Also for next year: an in-game store! Bypass codes and online shopping. Buy within #UltimaOnline and the item drops in your backpack! #UO
This is... *drools* - I would absolutely love this

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM14m
Changes to anniversary rewards: account age tied to gift selection, but not to use of gifts. Instead, new titles based on account age. #uo
Not sure I'm understanding this one. Is it "you can use xy anniversary year items (say 15th anniv) even if you don't have a 15 year old account, or something else?

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is... *drools* - I would absolutely love this

Not sure I'm understanding this one. Is it "you can use xy anniversary year items (say 15th anniv) even if you don't have a 15 year old account, or something else?
ya, sounds like the item can only be claimed by an account that is that old, but once claimed it can be used by anyone.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me touch upon a few things.

This idea they are talking about an ingame shopping is nothing new. Other games have it and why not borrow some good features from other games. It's no difference then what UO has now. UO aready double dips. Pay sub and buy items from Origin. They are just simplifying the process.

If players have issues with it they do not have to use that service but I feel many will.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I can understand synDCon, but for them to be there when Gen Con is going on at the same time... really? Then again, it doesn't surprise me. It's the kind of thing I should have come to expect from them.

Looking forward towards the vendor search.

The statement that riding dragons isn't possible because of art... really? I guess when I've seen it before, I must have been dreaming.

I would love removing those tokens from the game. Given the issues UO has had with duping from day one- and continues to have- one of the poorest decisions was making and continuing to make things like adv char tokens.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
SynDcon was maybe 5 minutes from their office. I think that's why. :)

Reactions: Nok

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This may come as a surprise, but the Origin store has been a challenge... That is the most apparent motive for the change, in my estimation.
*wonders if they could put account management ingame too*.... though that might start the whole chicken or the egg question. But realistically it couldn't get any worse!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
*wonders if they could put account management ingame too*.... though that might start the whole chicken or the egg question. But realistically it couldn't get any worse!
They expressed real empathy for this. Bonnie apologized. She also said they have a couple people specifically dedicated to fixing account issues via [email protected], and if that doesn't work, she invited folks to email her directly.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's good to see theyre following through on things like the vendor search and the new cat rideable, all of the ideas the community has been pushing. Mesanna, please also consider the ability to keep a party while having the option of individual loot, if possible ;P. :heart:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead of EA using our limited development team to put more new content in UO or fix what's currently broken, they're going to instead use it to build an in-game store that duplicates a store that already exists and functions elsewhere..

I am always for new new content... but honestly an in game store is a good, and in my opinion needed change. Origin is to put it kindly not a great web store. It would be great to just be able to hit a button in game and buy a token that is charged to your account.

I think this is a great idea, and I very very rarely buy codes.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am curious how they are going to introduce this ride-able tiger. Maybe the story arc or an event? I mean this would be a totally new species added to the game.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM54s
Also for next year: an in-game store! Bypass codes and online shopping. Buy within #UltimaOnline and the item drops in your backpack! #UO

I just hope they put in some very increased security when/if this hits. If someone is successful in hacking your account now they just get pixels. But if they hack your account and you can buy things in game and it auto bills your credit card they can max your limit, or exhaust your funds QUICKLY.

Good idea, but put me in the apprehensive column on this one.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just hope they put in some very increased security when/if this hits. If someone is successful in hacking your account now they just get pixels. But if they hack your account and you can buy things in game and it auto bills your credit card they can max your limit, or exhaust your funds QUICKLY.

Good idea, but put me in the apprehensive column on this one.

Extremely apprehensive here. Way to often accounts get hacked. They in fact get hacked too often for it to always be an user end issue. Not to mention the security risks of passing info from client to server. Unless somehow communicating credit info to the client wont be necessary. The other concern that I would have is the after effects of a account that does get hacked. We can't change the main email on our accounts without being 90 years old and having both our parents signatures.

I don't mean to offend by any means but UO has not exactly been a pillar of web technology.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tigers & pumpkins & dev's heads... oh my! Scary good! Well, the heads on pikes sorta does creep me out.

On vet rewards, what about shard shields? I just got some on an old account. Will I be able to give shard tokens to characters on younger accounts to use?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hear that Poo? Ridable Tiggers!
ok..... but i dont like tigers.....

OH WAIT!!!!
ahhhhh, k i see where your going with that one..... ya sneaking bugger!

that was a boomerang one, i had to wait till it came back till i got it!

silly mortal.

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
r I'm beyond irritated about the idea of having to pay for it when it already exists elsewhere instead of paying for the development of new game content. It just appears to be one more decision/announcement about UO that makes very little sense.

Ummm, your not paying the Dev team for anything, your paying for the right to play the game as it is during the 30, 90 or 180 day period you choose. Simple as that

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Ummm, your not paying the Dev team for anything, your paying for the right to play the game as it is during the 30, 90 or 180 day period you choose. Simple as that
Uhmm... not exactly true. Tina Small is correct... Our monthly game subscriptions pay for the Dev team's salaries.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead of EA using our limited development team to put more new content in UO or fix what's currently broken, they're going to instead use it to build an in-game store that duplicates a store that already exists and functions elsewhere. Why should I be happy about paying for that, especially after the last couple of years that have been so dismal in terms of seeing new content added? It's probably just another system that Mythic wants to use in some mobile game they have in the works and they know UO still has enough people playing to be able to give it some kind of a shakedown. And if the reason for putting it in is because someone finally decided it was time to capture some of the revenue being spent at third-party stores selling virtual UO goods, that's something they should have done several years ago before the game's population dwindled to the point where a sizable number of the people left are probably working for those stores or are trying to figure out how to sell whatever they're hanging onto in UO before it completely loses its value.
Try thinking of it in terms of how much of Mesanna's precious time is currently being used up sorting out the problems arising from Origin as it is. How many threads on Stratics are there expressing total frustration with the store that Mesanna has had to take the time to resolve?

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uhmm... not exactly true. Tina Small is correct... Our monthly game subscriptions pay for the Dev team's salaries.

Didn't say it didn't pay their salary, said that's NOT what we technically pay for.

1. The Ultima Online License.
Ultima Online is an Internet-based online fantasy role-playing game service that allows you to play the "Ultima Online" computer game when you subscribe and pay a fee, or when you participate through an Internet Game Room (IGR) pursuant to the IGR's rules. As part of theUltima Online service, Electronic Arts maintains a site on the World Wide Web with a URL address of "www.uo.com" (the "Web Site"). Throughout the remainder of this Agreement, theUltima Online service (including the Web Site) will be referred to as the "Service", if you have purchased the Ultima Online game CD-ROM published by Electronic Arts Inc. it will be referred to as the "CD" and the software programs contained on the CD and provided to you through the Service will be referred to as the "Software". Electronic Arts grants to you a limited, non-exclusive license to use the CD, the Software and the Service subject to all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, and the additional terms set forth in the documentation of the CD.
YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT USE OF THE SERVICE AND THE SOFTWARE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE AND THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS," "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, UNLESS SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LEGALLY INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION. E
No where does it say in this quote or the rest of the terms of service that they are mandated to improve the game in any way. Now in noting that would they be foolish NOT to improve or add to the game, absolutely, it's what keeps folks coming back or joining.

I hate that line as much as I do when folks tell a police officer "I pay your salary!" when getting a ticket.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Didn't say it didn't pay their salary, said that's NOT what we technically pay for.
No where does it say in this quote or the rest of the terms of service that they are mandated to improve the game in any way. Now in noting that would they be foolish NOT to improve or add to the game, absolutely, it's what keeps folks coming back or joining.

I hate that line as much as I do when folks tell a police officer "I pay your salary!" when getting a ticket.
That's just nonsense, and you are quibbling. But whatever you want to think.

Have a good day!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Try thinking of it in terms of how much of Mesanna's precious time is currently being used up sorting out the problems arising from Origin as it is. How many threads on Stratics are there expressing total frustration with the store that Mesanna has had to take the time to resolve?

Exactly right and so are you @ Sean.... It's frustrating. Mesanna shouldn't have to fix what isn't something she has no control of. We know the Origin store is a disaster... They can't even send us codes in the format correct for UO. It's like the right hand has no idea what the left does. They have separated their responsibilities so much they don't know how to function as a company anymore. But should we really be surprised this is EA the "worst company" 2 years running. You don't get that reputation for nothing.

You can however get frustrated and write the CEO's at EA and let them know how you feel about the way they are handling the game you have dedicated so much time and money to playing. That's what I've done. I've gotten fed up with constantly having to verify to my Credit Card provider that I DO want to pay to play UO and I have NO idea why they keep billing me from the Netherlands ...... and I'm sorry but yes I am aware that they do NOT pay for international charges.... But yes I SWEAR it's a US based company ...... I have been writing EA Corporate and trying to get them to fix their lousy system so I don't have to have my CC blocked for "suspicious" activity every other weekend..... it's SERIOUSLY getting old. Got it again a couple weeks ago after I was "assured" by their company that the problem was indeed corrected.... at which I pointed out that they are indeed DUMB as a box of Rocks because they thought I was buying codes from the Origin Store for my account not getting directly billed for it as I set my account to autorenew..... And then I explained the situation AGAIN..... included as well the fact that the Origin store is only to blame for sending out codes that don't work, NOT giving codes when you buy more than one of the same item at the same time.... and it's their asinine Account Management system that can't seem to bill me from my own Country.

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We all have been under stressfull situations with reguards to that of the "Origin Store" purchases.
The billing system is a shambles for the game.. its a wonder more have not quit over the insane hoops we have to jump through on a regular basis just to pay for our game time.
I would have loved for them to make my dragon/GD rideable but can understand the coding is too difficult to master for it at this time. Tigers? Are we getting an India expac?
Next thing you know we will have elephants and cobras running amuck... and don't even mention those nasty monkeys they have.. rude little beggers.
I for one would love 30 minutes of the EA board of directors time just to inform them of the great deal of cash flow the company has fouled up getting... let alone the lack of support in getting their "moneymakers" a bigger share of the player base. but that is a pipe dream...
Bonnie and the gang at Mythic are trying their best with what little EA allows them rope to use....

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rather than seeing more systems for buying stuff I'd rather we just had one that worked for everyone. A new/returning player is still going to fall into the Origin/account management hole, because that's what you're stuck with when your account isn't active heh. Fix that, then when it's done we can look at new conveniences. My partner nearly abandoned UO altogether after it took almost a week just to reactivate his account. I can see that there might be some convenience in buying in game, but I don't struggle to hit alt-tab into my browser so I really can't see why I would want a less secure in game option for that. A web version that worked for everyone is what we need most of all. Mobile payments are a security can of worms, Mesanna will be spending all her time sorting out accounts when the owners have lost their phones :(

The new cat sounds cool, it's been on my UO wish list a long time. Athough I'll be the obvious tamer and say I'm curious what the stats will be like and hoping it's not too overpowered, I'd kinda like maybe a stronger one like a cu level and one that was a 1 slot cat which would work with pack instinct in a cat pack. Actually give both a feline pack instinct, let us have a second kitty alongside it :D The same goes for the tamer/pet changes, I'd like to see at least some basic details of what the devs are considering so we know what to expect. I don't want to wake up and find all my pets have grenade launchers strapped to their bellies and tamers are wiping the floor with sampires. I have this dread that the devs will cave in too much to the cries for more power and we'll end up too powerful again. So it'd be good to hear more info and some reassurances there. It's a big change, so I think it's fair to give players a little advance warning about what's happening. Pretty please?

Same goes for vendor search, things should be further on now, so can we possibly get more details soon?

Wenchy

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am curious how they are going to introduce this ride-able tiger. Maybe the story arc or an event? I mean this would be a totally new species added to the game.
I read your post earlier but then I just read it again and thought you said "Maybe an orc event..." lol

It be great if they released the new mount and it sounded like one of those cat statues, just as a joke.

Silentfury

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
That's exactly what she said. There will be a backstory to how Tiger's are introduced. BTW...these will be female Tiger, not Male Tiger's with Manes. According to the Art Director, the mane would interfer with how the rider would appear. Basically they would look like they are sitting on the mane.
Additionally, while they are being introduced as the next Ridable Vet Reward, they are also suppose to be introduced as the next Tamable Ride.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's exactly what she said. There will be a backstory to how Tiger's are introduced. BTW...these will be female Tiger, not Male Tiger's with Manes. According to the Art Director, the mane would interfer with how the rider would appear. Basically they would look like they are sitting on the mane.
Additionally, while they are being introduced as the next Ridable Vet Reward, they are also suppose to be introduced as the next Tamable Ride.

Lions & Tigers & PVC Kitten Launcher. Male lions have the extreem hairy dicky. Male tigers are shorthairs. Tigers are great if they are going to lead into an art touch-up and later release of the Worg. The cat/dog ride, the upcoming need for race change tokens ($$$$$$$) for the new Orc race option.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Tigers are so 2004...

2) MyUO, I'm not sure I buy the whole security concern reason. It was a very useful tool for identifying bugged housing back before they broke it. You didn't even have to log into your account for your characters to show up. So if a character showed up the account was active, if it didn't it was inactive. 4 months in a row of inactive = bugged house so don't waste your time and money waiting for it to fall.

3) UO = Mythic = EA. My bet is peoples paychecks are cut from EA corp funds. Sure the devs want UO to keep bringing in money so they continue to have a job, but lets not pretend we are getting what we pay for anymore, or that the game is owned and run by a struggling charity that needs our donations to keep afloat. If you put out a good product people will pay for it. I purchased all the expansions but haven't bought the last 2 boosters or kings collection. Pixel crack deco only goes so far. Had the magincia market been the actual AH we deserve and every other game out there has for a reason instead of a commodities trader I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.