• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Live Tweets from Syndcon by Taylor

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posting a few of tweets that are interesting and for the #twitter haters :)

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM38m
Bonnie announces in-game vendor search that you could perhaps access from your mobile device. #uo #ultimaonline

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM37m
No plans to revive MyUO, according to Bonnie, due to security concerns. #uo #ultimaonline

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM24m
Halloween 2013: 9 new pumpkins, dev-named butchers spawn in graveyards, spiders, and developer heads on pikes! #uo #ultimaonline

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM14m
Changes to anniversary rewards: account age tied to gift selection, but not to use of gifts. Instead, new titles based on account age. #uo

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM12m
Plans to replace factions with a new system are still “in concept," says Mythic. Seeking to create opt-in, open-world, x-shard PvP. #uo

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting stuff, but as a non-twitterer can someone ask for clarification over

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM14m
Changes to anniversary rewards: account age tied to gift selection, but not to use of gifts. Instead, new titles based on account age. #uo
Anniversary ticket reward items and vet rewards are different things.... so I'm not quite clear on whats meant by this one.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taylor must be keeping an eye on the thread it seems. Maybe he can get some clarificaion if he sees your post or somebody tweets him about it. I would but don't have my phone by me and I need to add him lol.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is some more tweets......

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM5m
Plans to revamp pet system next year. Still no plans for pet dyes, but new TASTEFUL dragon colors (eg chocolate) a real possibility. #UO

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM4m
Next mount: a ridable tiger! #ultimaonline #UO

Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM2m
No ridable dragons due to art constraints! #UO #UltimaOnline

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gah I need my phone (its charging) lol but I will ask here and hopefully Taylor sees it.

I am big about ingame deco for cities in mmo's. Since we have another thread and I mentioned it already could you askthe devs......

1) Is it possible to use some of the holiday art to deco cites and maybe some places in all facets of UO? Meaning like Halloween. Xmas and so on. Make the game feel more like the holidays where players will go to the cities and enjoy the art and beauty of the game itself.

This is for future holidays ( not the ones coming up) since I know the devs have a full plate with other projects.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Have there never been city decorations?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure really. I think Luna but I am talking all cities.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have several concerns about the in-game shopping though - just immediate thoughts were , would they need me, in game, to input a payment method? Or do they assume I'm paying by CC for the account (which I don't and probably won't do) so they can use those details?

Really need to see in detail how they propose going about this idea.....

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Looks like they're going to wrap up before I can ask, but I hope they'll be around here sooner or later. :)

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gah I need my phone (its charging) lol but I will ask here and hopefully Taylor sees it.

I am big about ingame deco for cities in mmo's. Since we have another thread and I mentioned it already could you askthe devs......

1) Is it possible to use some of the holiday art to deco cites and maybe some places in all facets of UO? Meaning like Halloween. Xmas and so on. Make the game feel more like the holidays where players will go to the cities and enjoy the art and beauty of the game itself.

This is for future holidays ( not the ones coming up) since I know the devs have a full plate with other projects.
For wonderful examples of this if anyone has any links to images of what one of the asian shards looked like during the year of the dragon time. Sorry I forgot the shard but huge dragon graphic above luna bank among soo much more. I can't do it justice talking about it. Was a must see! Things like this during holidays brings joy at least I think so and more depth to the game during these times.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I should give an example to clarify to the devs....

I will use halloween and the city Trinsic.

Use the the wheat bales, pumpkins, jackolanters, skeleton bones, candles, cats and whatever meets their fance :)

Now maybe for the city of Brit use some of the above deco but add to it with some other ideas.

Same for Magincia. Use some of both and add to it.

Just make each city stand out but have that halloween feel to it.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
In closing, here's a general disclaimer on behalf of Mesanna to remind everyone that there's a difference between plans and promises! They are entering an extremely busy period governed by UO tradition, which includes Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, vet rewards, etc. Lots of great things in store for the immediate term, plus some exciting concepts for the long term!

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like they're going to wrap up before I can ask, but I hope they'll be around here sooner or later. :)
No worries mate. If you can't it's cool. Maybe they will see the thread when they have time and discuss it amongst themselves. It's not important where there are so many other issues and questions concerning UO. Just trying to add some flare to holidays in UO :)

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For wonderful examples of this if anyone has any links to images of what one of the asian shards looked like during the year of the dragon time. Sorry I forgot the shard but huge dragon graphic above luna bank among soo much more. I can't do it justice talking about it. Was a must see! Things like this during holidays brings joy at least I think so and more depth to the game during these times.

I played on some of the Asian shards and their GM's do wonderful work. I did see some very wonderful artwork and deco they had on their shards vs other shards. One shard had their Zoo by Haven and had a stage near the bank where players could do plays.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In closing, here's a general disclaimer on behalf of Mesanna to remind everyone that there's a difference between plans and promises!
That's accepted - I just prefer being sure what they DO plan is properly thought through before it hits us, which has not always been the case.....

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have several concerns about the in-game shopping though - just immediate thoughts were , would they need me, in game, to input a payment method? Or do they assume I'm paying by CC for the account (which I don't and probably won't do) so they can use those details?

Really need to see in detail how they propose going about this idea.....

Check out Firefall's method. You have terminals in game you walk up to, you click on item you want to buy and you can purchase in game. You can also buy game currency on their website and apply it to items in game. It really is simple and you'll see most games move to that platform as a great revenue source.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In closing, here's a general disclaimer on behalf of Mesanna to remind everyone that there's a difference between plans and promises! They are entering an extremely busy period governed by UO tradition, which includes Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, vet rewards, etc. Lots of great things in store for the immediate term, plus some exciting concepts for the long term!

Nice job Taylor :) Are you going to Pax Prime from the Aug 30th to Sept 2nd?

I kept refeshing the twitter page while posting on here lol.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice job Taylor :) Are you going to Pax Prime from the Aug 30th to Sept 2nd?

I kept refeshing the twitter page while posting on here lol.

Taylor isn't going but Dariuas will be there. Anyone else going?

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there a way to block in game purchases until desired for added security if one's account were to be hacked?

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check out Firefall's method. You have terminals in game you walk up to, you click on item you want to buy and you can purchase in game. You can also buy game currency on their website and apply it to items in game. It really is simple and you'll see most games move to that platform as a great revenue source.
Except... it's UO and it isn't that simple...

EA do not have any of my credit card details - I buy gametime and codes through Origin, using PayPal. If they propose making me input payment details in-game, I'm concerned about the security they offer, and if they propose selling items outside the game, I don't see why they need anything other than a decently designed online store as used by almost every online company in the world other than EA. Perhaps there's some possibility in the concept of an in-game currency (NOT the existing gold, a different currency only obtainable from the store) for buying some items, but given the past and current history of in-game duping, the potential for disaster is pretty high...

As I said earlier, we need a lot of detail on this one, too many possible methods, too many possible faults, to try second guess what may be in mind here.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a way to block in game purchases until desired for added security if one's account were to be hacked?

This feature, if it does happen, wont be until next year and will go through many scenarios of what if's and tested before they even implement into the game.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So we are getting a rideable tiger but no rideable paragon gorilla with banana cannon strapped to its head. Okay.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
We have something similar in TSW. I will post a screenshot later.

Sounds like good stuff is on the horizon!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This feature, if it does happen, wont be until next year and will go through many scenarios of what if's and tested before they even implement into the game.

Maybe they'll put the in-game store in right before they announce UO's cancellation, like they put the ATMs to let you buy simoleons for RL money into The Sims Online shortly before it was cancelled. Anything to make a quick buck.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe they'll put the in-game store in right before they announce UO's cancellation, like they put the ATMs to let you buy simoleons for RL money into The Sims Online shortly before it was cancelled. Anything to make a quick buck.
It could happen but as a player and a person you dont have to buy anything either. It's a choice. You can also dispute it with your bank or CC company if such a situation happened.

Such doom and gloom on an idea that has not even been put into the game yet or if it does happens?

Seems the Origin site is an issue and Mesanna has no say on that. The devs come up with this idea of adding the feature to relieve stress and problems over the Origin site ( I am just assuming this is the reason) where she may have a say and can help more on any issues. I guess they could just stop making new pixels to buy stuff and just charge more monthly ( maybe double the price) and add items to the game from time to time.

The same can happen when you pay for a monthly time code use 17 days or even 29 days for a 30 day time code and they could shut the game down before full use of the 30 day time code. How much are you entitles for a refund if they would give it? Basically 30 some cents a day lost?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Two ways to shop in game in The Secret World.
You can purchase or earn the coins for this outside of the game. (If you chose to pay the monthly fee you get some automatically every month otherwise the game is ftp)
The things you can purchase aren't game altering. Mostly just clothing and pets (that dont give buffs or fight just tag along as pets). Some potions that enhance your exp gains.
Alessandria_picture065.png

Or for Taylor (and other swag fashion types)
There are actually in game stores like this one:
Alessandria_picture068.png Alessandria_picture069.png Alessandria_picture070.png

Needless to say... I LOVE in game stores *twitches*
*goes back to buy stuff*

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You spend W in RL cash at the origin store. The ingame store is now selling a massive list of cool items for ingame credit. The Origin store now sells the in-game credit for the ammounts of X,Y & Z. This in-game credit sold in code form and the ammount credted to the redeeming account. So you buy the X,Y or Z package based on your spending or what is on your wish list. Smart biz people would have items for game credit sales on a short time offer or sneakily just pull items for sale for surprise rares.

Sadly if I can't loot it I don't need it. Why forcing me to by a reforge tool pisses me off to no end. For what that tool does and having to spend RL cash for it is far beyond greed. Just rude.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why does the pay-in-game option make me want to push my big red pay-to-win-is-coming button?

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hopefully it is a battle with the neighbor for house deco god of the block.

Gedgerez Tesherd

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Taylor V. Smith™@TaylorVSmithTM24m
Halloween 2013: 9 new pumpkins, dev-named butchers spawn in graveyards, spiders, and developer heads on pikes! #uo #ultimaonline
Great, does that mean we aren't getting Conjurer's Trinket, & Conjurer's Garb this year, since the things listed weren't involved with their previous release?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It could happen but as a player and a person you dont have to buy anything either. It's a choice. You can also dispute it with your bank or CC company if such a situation happened.

Such doom and gloom on an idea that has not even been put into the game yet or if it does happens?

Seems the Origin site is an issue and Mesanna has no say on that. The devs come up with this idea of adding the feature to relieve stress and problems over the Origin site ( I am just assuming this is the reason) where she may have a say and can help more on any issues. I guess they could just stop making new pixels to buy stuff and just charge more monthly ( maybe double the price) and add items to the game from time to time.

The same can happen when you pay for a monthly time code use 17 days or even 29 days for a 30 day time code and they could shut the game down before full use of the 30 day time code. How much are you entitles for a refund if they would give it? Basically 30 some cents a day lost?

Instead of EA using our limited development team to put more new content in UO or fix what's currently broken, they're going to instead use it to build an in-game store that duplicates a store that already exists and functions elsewhere. Why should I be happy about paying for that, especially after the last couple of years that have been so dismal in terms of seeing new content added? It's probably just another system that Mythic wants to use in some mobile game they have in the works and they know UO still has enough people playing to be able to give it some kind of a shakedown. And if the reason for putting it in is because someone finally decided it was time to capture some of the revenue being spent at third-party stores selling virtual UO goods, that's something they should have done several years ago before the game's population dwindled to the point where a sizable number of the people left are probably working for those stores or are trying to figure out how to sell whatever they're hanging onto in UO before it completely loses its value.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What are you basing your assumptions on, Tina? You think this is an EA mandated change?

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Instead of EA using our limited development team to put more new content in UO or fix what's currently broken, they're going to instead use it to build an in-game store that duplicates a store that already exists and functions elsewhere. Why should I be happy about paying for that, especially after the last couple of years that have been so dismal in terms of seeing new content added? It's probably just another system that Mythic wants to use in some mobile game they have in the works and they know UO still has enough people playing to be able to give it some kind of a shakedown. And if the reason for putting it in is because someone finally decided it was time to capture some of the revenue being spent at third-party stores selling virtual UO goods, that's something they should have done several years ago before the game's population dwindled to the point where a sizable number of the people left are probably working for those stores or are trying to figure out how to sell whatever they're hanging onto in UO before it completely loses its value.
game really isnt that bad, has low subs, there looking outside box for income, if you are so tinfoil unhappy with game deveolpers why not take a break for a few months from stratics or game or both!!!!!!!
your blood preesure will thank you, game will be here this is just proposed stuff for next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tweeted somewhat second hand, game is what u make it

my only thought is comparing to app le store kids will buy things for account shinys and parents that pay for linked account will get huge un known bill till it hurts

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This may come as a surprise, but the Origin store has been a challenge... That is the most apparent motive for the change, in my estimation.

If the Origin store is a challenge, then EA should have the departments that are responsible for it FIX THE PROBLEMS. I just don't see the sense in taking up the time of the small staff UO currently has to either build or be involved in supporting an entirely new "store" to replace it. I can't imagine that the owners of the company (i.e., the shareholders) would see it as a good use of limited funds either, especially for a game that has a subscriber base as small as UO's.

Also, from a customer's point of view, how much confidence am I supposed to have in using an online purchasing system built by a game company in lieu of something built by a company like Digital River, who currently provides e-commerce hosting and data processing services for Origin.com? (Check the fine print on the shopping cart page if you don't believe me that Digital River is involved with the origin.com site.)

Think of all the inconsistencies/disparities/differences that currently exist with regard to buying stuff from Origin depending on where you live (e.g., Japan vs. Europe vs. America vs. Australia vs. South America) and think about how much time will be taken up trying to duplicate, bug-test, and then stay on top of all that in an in-game store for what, 10,000 players at best? It just doesn't make any sense economically and as a customer I'm beyond irritated about the idea of having to pay for it when it already exists elsewhere instead of paying for the development of new game content. It just appears to be one more decision/announcement about UO that makes very little sense.

T

Tazar

A good part of the income for UO is in the expansion and item sales. Currently, these sales are harmed by the Origin Store... No Stygian Abyss in Brazil... No High-Seas in Russia... Limited to one purchase on the King's Collection Fiasco... Limited to one legacy token at a time... The list goes on and on about lost potential sales. I think it makes perfect sense for the UO Team to take control of these sales to make sure they can happen. Right now - all they can do is complain to another company/department when they can't even speak to the store people in Russia in the same language.

Origin just isn't set up for this type of sale... they sell a game and ship it off via direct download. Repetitive sales only seem to confuse them. They don't "get" the UO Model.

Last edited by a moderator:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vendor search news good.

My UO news depressing.

Halloween sounds acceptably fun and workable for me, and really fun for most.

-Galen's player

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I know very little, but given their personal and professional investment, I feel more confidence toward their ability to make it work than your frequent predictions to the contrary. But as I mentioned, I know very little.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the Origin store is a challenge, then EA should have the departments that are responsible for it FIX THE PROBLEMS. I just don't see the sense in taking up the time of the small staff UO currently has to either build or be involved in supporting an entirely new "store" to replace it. I can't imagine that the owners of the company (i.e., the shareholders) would see it as a good use of limited funds either, especially for a game that has a subscriber base as small as UO's.

Also, from a customer's point of view, how much confidence am I supposed to have in using an online purchasing system built by a game company in lieu of something built by a company like Digital River, who currently provides e-commerce hosting and data processing services for Origin.com? (Check the fine print on the shopping cart page if you don't believe me that Digital River is involved with the origin.com site.)

Think of all the inconsistencies/disparities/differences that currently exist with regard to buying stuff from Origin depending on where you live (e.g., Japan vs. Europe vs. America vs. Australia vs. South America) and think about how much time will be taken up trying to duplicate, bug-test, and then stay on top of all that in an in-game store for what, 10,000 players at best? It just doesn't make any sense economically and as a customer I'm beyond irritated about the idea of having to pay for it when it already exists elsewhere instead of paying for the development of new game content. It just appears to be one more decision/announcement about UO that makes very little sense.
The item store I actually like because the EA-centric system has been so terrible that it's difficult to imagine a UO specific one not being better....Assuming of course they get a halfway decent vendor for it and don't try to code it from the ground up or something.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know very little, but given their personal and professional investment, I feel more confidence toward their ability to make it work than your frequent predictions to the contrary. But as I mentioned, I know very little.
We all shall keep our fingers crossed. Buying stuff from EA has been such a disaster that it's hurt the game rather seriously, almost as much as the account management issues have. Which also seems to be EA proper's fault.

-Galen's player

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Origin just isn't set up for this type of sale... they sell a game and ship it off via direct download. Repetitive sales only seem to confuse them. They don't "get" the UO Model.
This is exactly what I think. Mythic is taking charge of their game. Hoping to any way.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
All objects are persistent and uniquely identified. Shouldn't be too hard to integrate.