• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Last night in gen chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Goldberg-Chessy, encouraging RL murder or encouraging someone to commit suicide is not "trash talk". The courts really could care less whether you intended it as a joke or not. Intent is not required, though it can be a factor is how long your prison sentence turns out to be. What was described was not "trash talk":

An arrest for this just 2 weeks ago: http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news...utiny-is-it-crime-encourage-suicide/24313573/

Additionally, it would seem this is also clearly illegal in the UK and Austalia:

UK code:
'Under section 2(1) of the Suicide Act 1961 (as amended by section 59 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009) it is an offence to do an act capable of encouraging or assisting the suicide or attempted suicide of another person with the intention to so encourage or assist. The person committing the offence need not know the other person or even be able to identify them.'

Australian law:
"Encouraging suicide [in an online cyberbullying context] is punishable by a maximum of life in prison" [ref http://nobullying.com/cyberbullying-laws-australia/ ]

So, @Goldberg-Chessy , @Aran, and @Varingian, regardless what you may think of the laws, or what you appear to think is the perfectly normal social behavior of encouraging RL murder and/or suicide, I'd suggest that the folks who you should be complaining to are your elected officials. For all the rest of us, who appear to be a bit more socially well adjusted, I just hope Broadsword is willing to step up and start policing the chats; they desperately need it.
Seriously bud?
Some unknown attention grabber on an internet gaming forum references two other unknown internet entities talking trash in an MMORPG and you then start practicing internet law without a degree and you see nothing unusual or absurd about that?
I feel sorry for you :(
I also feel sorry for the attention grabber who was so sickened and disgusted by the supposed exchange that he stuck around in chat for an hour in his own words just to hear it all lol.
*shakes head*

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Goldberg-Chessy, encouraging RL murder or encouraging someone to commit suicide is not "trash talk". The courts really could care less whether you intended it as a joke or not. Intent is not required, though it can be a factor is how long your prison sentence turns out to be. What was described was not "trash talk":

An arrest for this just 2 weeks ago: http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news...utiny-is-it-crime-encourage-suicide/24313573/

Additionally, it would seem this is also clearly illegal in the UK and Austalia:

UK code:
'Under section 2(1) of the Suicide Act 1961 (as amended by section 59 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009) it is an offence to do an act capable of encouraging or assisting the suicide or attempted suicide of another person with the intention to so encourage or assist. The person committing the offence need not know the other person or even be able to identify them.'

Australian law:
"Encouraging suicide [in an online cyberbullying context] is punishable by a maximum of life in prison" [ref http://nobullying.com/cyberbullying-laws-australia/ ]

So, @Goldberg-Chessy , @Aran, and @Varingian, regardless what you may think of the laws, or what you appear to think is the perfectly normal social behavior of encouraging RL murder and/or suicide, I'd suggest that the folks who you should be complaining to are your elected officials. For all the rest of us, who appear to be a bit more socially well adjusted, I just hope Broadsword is willing to step up and start policing the chats; they desperately need it.
Glad I live in the US. I'd hate to get in trouble for telling someone to DIAF...la

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your gonna say that encouraging telling someone to kill themselves is MMORPG acceptable trash talk I disagree with you.
I never said I encourage anything of that nature.
I am not trying to trivialize anything here at all.
I am simply saying that this whole post is based on faceless internet heresay and people are getting very weird imo.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never said I encourage anything of that nature.
I am not trying to trivialize anything here at all.
I am simply saying that this whole post is based on faceless internet heresay and people are getting very weird imo.
I was going with what the OP posted in the first post, and figured you were doing the same. sorry

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Some unknown attention grabber on an internet gaming forum references two other unknown internet entities talking trash in an MMORPG and you then start practicing internet law without a degree and you see nothing unusual or absurd about that?
First off, "practicing internet law without a degree" is a meaningless concept. The law is written; one need not be a lawyer to read it, nor is it "practicing law" to simply understand what you just read. That's just you blowing your normal smokescreen to try and attack folks regardless of how wrong your stance is.

As for the original post, there's nothing wrong with the original poster raising the issue; it doesn't make them an "unknown attention grabber". Nor do we need them to somehow corroborate their report of it happening. It does happen; I've seen it myself on multiple shards. Regardless of whether this specific case actually happened, it does happen, it's wrong... and it's illegal.

So how about you, for once, try to actually understand what it being discussed, and take part reasonably, rather than simply jumping in to attack and insult everyone?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread starting to remind me of the Darknet series. Check it out if your into modern horror/ encouraging suicide and murder over the internet. Some pretty messed up stuff but an interesting little show if your in the mood.

http://www.darknetfiles.com/about/

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I suppose you are also against telling someone to jump off a bridge? God forbid they actually do it...because someone on teh internets told them to...la
:p Yes I'm against anyone telling anyone to go harm themselves it being real life, or on the internet. Sorry but its the way my parents raised me, to give a chit about others even though I most likely never meet them in real life on the internet.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Glad I live in the US. I'd hate to get in trouble for telling someone to DIAF...la
LOL Rico, look back a few posts further, to my reply this AM. It IS illegal in most of the US, soon to be all of the US.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did that on Pokerstars once. I got a chat ban for...I think it was 3 days? Although I might have added to it & used the words car fire...
LOL, even on a poker site. Good thing people don't ban others in real life for saying things like that. Talk about trash talking...poker players are awesome at it...la

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off, "practicing internet law without a degree" is a meaningless concept. The law is written; one need not be a lawyer to read it, nor is it "practicing law" to simply understand what you just read. That's just you blowing your normal smokescreen to try and attack folks regardless of how wrong your stance is.

As for the original post, there's nothing wrong with the original poster raising the issue; it doesn't make them an "unknown attention grabber". Nor do we need them to somehow corroborate their report of it happening. It does happen; I've seen it myself on multiple shards. Regardless of whether this specific case actually happened, it does happen, it's wrong... and it's illegal.

So how about you, for once, try to actually understand what it being discussed, and take part reasonably, rather than simply jumping in to attack and insult everyone?
1) My stance is 100% correct. It is in fact internet hearsay. You do not personally know the person who started the post and you were not there to witness what was supposedly said. Do you need me to define the word hearsay for you?
hear·say
ˈhirˌsā/
noun
noun: hearsay
information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.

2) IMO there is something wrong with the original poster spreading possible bs.
He claims to have read this in chat and then goes on to reference it being "vile and disgusting"
yet in his own words he listened to it go on for "over an hour"
Who in the world unnecessarily subjects themselves to anything vile and disgusting for over an hour?
:drama:

3) You say you have seen the same thing multiple times before huh?
I assume you reported those crimes asap to the correct authorities right?
Would you mind letting me know what their response was?
I mean you are the one that copy and pasted the internet laws here correct? And you are the one telling us all how serious they are.
You didn't witness multiple crimes and say nothing now did you?
That would be quite hypocritical imo

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Some of you are so off base I don't even know where to begin except by saying maybe get a life? Or a real law degree. Than you would know how liberally foolish you actually sound folks.
In game MMORPG trash talk is not a crime. And that is what we are talking about here. Trash talk.
Go to any local middle or high school sporting event and you will bear witness to as much or more then you will ever see in UO.
Once again Trollberg has got it all wrong. Its not about Trash Talk, its about vulgarity and needless and rampant bullying. :loser::loser::loser:

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1) My stance is 100% correct. It is in fact internet hearsay. You do not personally know the person who started the post and you were not there to witness what was supposedly said. Do you need me to define the word hearsay for you?
hear·say
ˈhirˌsā/
noun
noun: hearsay
information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.

2) IMO there is something wrong with the original poster spreading possible bs.
He claims to have read this in chat and then goes on to reference it being "vile and disgusting"
yet in his own words he listened to it go on for "over an hour"
Who in the world unnecessarily subjects themselves to anything vile and disgusting for over an hour?
:drama:

3) You say you have seen the same thing multiple times before huh?
I assume you reported those crimes asap to the correct authorities right?
Would you mind letting me know what their response was?
I mean you are the one that copy and pasted the internet laws here correct? And you are the one telling us all how serious they are.
You didn't witness multiple crimes and say nothing now did you?
That would be quite hypocritical imo
So everything that you post here on the boards is hearsay because we personally do not know you, and there was no one to witness any of your postings? sounds good to me

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just use reverse psychology and say..you shouldn't kill yourself..usually more effective and politically correct..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A couple quotes to survive the internet.

"it was a fool who argued with a fool"

"Dont feed the trolls, they only grow to be bigger trolls"

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone pancakes and moaning about mean people on the internet need to uninstall all their multiplayer games and go outside. Where you will also find mean people. Oh god what's the solution, OH GOD HELP THERE ARE MEAN PEOPLE IN THE WORLD TOO WHAT WILL WE DO?

I know, let's cry until they make it illegal, our prisons aren't full enough!

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is played by real people so it is to be expected that some will be decent people and some will be scum bags. As these forums are populated by those same players then it follows that you will have both ends of the spectrum here also. This thread has proved the fact. Im done with it.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
More appropriate than you even think Rico, considering that the entire movie was about convincing someone not to commit suicide. Makes rather an interesting contrast to a situation where someone is specifically being encouraged to go kill themselves.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Video and audio or it didnt happen. hehe
Yet posting such proof of harassment... is itself considered harassment on Stratics.

There is a huge difference between game smack talk and personal cruelty. There's a line. It's pretty terrible that Broadsword is either unable or unwilling to enforce their own ROC, and it hurts the game. For each post like this, how many people just give up and walk away from UO completely--bringing us that much closer to the end?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yet posting such proof of harassment... is itself considered harassment on Stratics.

There is a huge difference between game smack talk and personal cruelty. There's a line. It's pretty terrible that Broadsword is either unable or unwilling to enforce their own ROC, and it hurts the game. For each post like this, how many people just give up and walk away from UO completely--bringing us that much closer to the end?
Personally, I prefer not being policed for words typed into a video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.