• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Last night in gen chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should put George Carlin's words you can't say in the ToS :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dantes

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
They could be, but like you said - it's doubtful. Although I did receive a warning against my account last year for profanity in general chat. But that was an entirely different incident, one where favoritism towards the reportee was shown. I had heard rumors of the person holding large amounts of power with staff and wanted to test it out. Turns out the rumors weren't rumors after all.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:) I wonder if we can talk about the old staff since the site is under new management.

*fans flames*...la

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, the problem stays there - all you achieve by adding someone to ignore is to stick your head in the sand and pretend ignoring what is going on makes it go away. Also, suggesting people have the "option" of leaving general chat actually means they lose the ability to use a genuinely helpful and useful part of the game that they pay for, purely so they do not have to read the abuse and insults of antisocial morons who are breaking the rules Broadsword claim to enforce - not an option people should ever have to take, thanks , if Broadsword want people to be 'second class' customers who gets to use only part of the game because Broadsword can't be bothered to keep their word, they can expect to kiss yet more money goodbye.

This stuff is also putting off other people from playing or staying in the game, not many people like their computer screens to be filled with this sort of garbage. Broadsword have rules on their website, they claim they matter, yet manage to invent endless excuses why they 'can't' actually manage to enforce anything - and then add extra insult be claiming they 'care' about us, except people who 'care' sort out the problems, whilst people who want to look like they care just talk about how much they care. Pretty clear which category Broadsword fall in to.
I am not asking them to leave Gen chat for life just while the person is bothering them. I leave gen chat from time to time because I am sicking of seeing someone talk about fishing. I love fishing but not in game but I don't tell those people who do, not to talk about it. I just leave till it goes away.

I am sorry some people feel everyone should be a victim, instead of teaching people how to deal but bullies, which have been around FOREVER . Since I didn't see what was being said its hard to say who was wrong. Was the other person responding to the one telling him/her to kill themselves, were other people responding or just sitting there reading the hour long chat doing nothing. You want to stop bullies stand up to them that includes all of the good people who watched it and said nothing.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far there is like around 42 different posters on this topic counting myself that gave an opinion.

As usual you have some that thinks it is wrong and some thinks its ok and some in the middle.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread offends me. Ban it. It offends my sensibilities, therefore I am a victim of it.

If you suggest that I avoid reading the thread, you are victim blaming.

If you suggest that I am overreacting or putting on a false pretense to illustrate a point, you are invalidating my feelings.

If you suggest that I adopt a personal philosophy that upholds mental fortitude and mastering my own feelings in order to deal with a reality I cannot control, you are fostering a harmful environment.

If you disagree with me in any way, you are antagonizing me and a bully.

Ban this thread.
I feel sorry for you.
For future reference though can you point me towards the guidebook for your "sensibilities" ?
That way I will know what can or can not be said in your vicinity.
If there is no specific guidebook I guess I can assume then that everything spoken or written could potentially offend you making everyone that ever writes or says anything a bully towards you :(

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel sorry for you.
For future reference though can you point me towards the guidebook for your "sensibilities" ?
That way I will know what can or can not be said in your vicinity.
If there is no specific guidebook I guess I can assume then that everything spoken or written could potentially offend you making everyone that ever writes or says anything a bully towards you :(
Do I detect an ever-so-subtle hint of sarcasm masking a trivialization and mocking of my feelings, sensibilities, and sense of morality, with (obviously) violent undertones?

Mods, please ban this user. It's what is good for the community.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do I detect an ever-so-subtle hint of sarcasm masking a trivialization and mocking of my feelings, sensibilities, and sense of morality, with (obviously) violent undertones?

Mods, please ban this user. It's what is good for the community.
Please explain your reference to obvious violent undertones. That is a lie and offends me deeply

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please explain your reference to obvious violent undertones. That is a lie and offends me deeply
I felt threatened, which is more than enough. Now retract your statement (just the sarcastic tone, not the feeling sorry for me part), apologize, and stop disagreeing with me.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am offended by you all being offended because I keep coming back to read who is offended.

The little flag in the corner keeps telling me to come back here because of the replies so in truth I amnot offended by anybody anymore. Just the little flag I am offended by.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am offended by you all being offended because I keep coming back to read who is offended.

The little flag in the corner keeps telling me to come back here because of the replies so in truth I amnot offended by anybody anymore. Just the little flag I am offended by.
I am offended that I don't get a little flag to tell me to come back...la

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I felt threatened, which is more than enough. Now retract your statement (just the sarcastic tone, not the feeling sorry for me part), apologize, and stop disagreeing with me.
No, no and no.
And I wish to officially retract my feeling sorry for you.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering if alot of people are misinterpreting things in chat too. Not saying its right but "kill yourself" is a pretty common buzzword reply nowadays in internet conversations, as well as between real life friends. Now, would i tell my boss to go himself? probably not, unless he was playing the same video game i was and said something really really dumb. like, instead of giving a half hour detailed reply on why something your buddy said was tottally dumb, alot of people just say "kill yourself" cause its pretty accepted. Or, like the teenage girl whos freind just came back from the mall and uses it as a compliment, "those new shoes look amazing on you! they really bring out your eyes, you should go kill yourself!"

just saying, i know alot of people especially on these boards are "older" and language changes. it probably isnt really as bad as things sometime appear.

Last edited:

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, lots of bullies in this thread, as well as clear violations of Stratics rules. As we clearly see, rule A is being violated because I am not receiving the respect I feel I deserve. Rule B is being violated because, instead of helping to build this community, they are attempting to deconstruct it by attempting to force me to leave. Rule C is being violated because they are making personal attacks and bullying me. Finally, Rule D is *clearly* being violated because they are making trolling posts meant to antagonize me using underhanded sarcasm to dismiss my entirely valid feelings.

Here is my question: does Stratics support bullying by allowing these rabble-rousers to continue making their offensive posts?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, lots of bullies in this thread, as well as clear violations of Stratics rules. As we clearly see, rule A is being violated because I am not receiving the respect I feel I deserve. Rule B is being violated because, instead of helping to build this community, they are attempting to deconstruct it by attempting to force me to leave. Rule C is being violated because they are making personal attacks and bullying me. Finally, Rule D is *clearly* being violated because they are making trolling posts meant to antagonize me using underhanded sarcasm to dismiss my entirely valid feelings.

Here is my question: does Stratics support bullying by allowing these rabble-rousers to continue making their offensive posts?
honestly a year ago the thread would have been deleted in 5mins. I dont see the big deal tho. the majority of loyal UO hall posters come here for drama and arguement whether they admit it or not, might as well give the people what they want :moo::drama:

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Step 1.. ignore the player..
if you run out of slots remove someone from ur list if you blocked them weeks ago chances are they are not still trolling.

Step 2.. Repeat.

Step 3... if above steps did not work take a few days off gen chat and join help channel and help some new players.

Step 4 .. get over it and grow some skin.. players have said things in game since it started... yes alot would not say them in real life.. and hide behind there keyboard...

feel bad for them..

This thread reminded me of a time before aos .. when i got into it with another player.. i was way into the pvp scene and well younger and full of piss and vinegar.. heh...

gotta learn to let things go.. and yes i have given out my home address.. and asked for others.. to settle things in real life... but you can't get that involved...

taking things to heart just makes you a fool.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It comes down to this. Is it wrong to tell anyone to kill themselves? Is it wrong for people in groups to tell people this? Yes! Now simply stated it was those throwing these comments at someone who were in the wrong.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It comes down to this. Is it wrong to tell anyone to kill themselves? Is it wrong for people in groups to tell people this? Yes! Now simply stated it was those throwing these comments at someone who were in the wrong.
While I agree that ultimately it was wrong for someone to have "allegedly" said that...I'll go back to so what? But, but but, someone on teh internets told me to jump off a bridge...so I did. Really?

To be honest I see a failure in our society for raising such weak people. Please remember the old adage about sticks and stones (and yes, it's wrong to throw sticks and stones)...la

Bethany_lg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My issue isn't the language or threats or your mama talk...it's that it goes on in the general chat. I know it's not very likely, but there is the "promise" of steam and a new player experience, etc... As far as i know it's still a 13+ age rated game.

If this mythical new player logs on to our game, first they get sent to the help channel with non stop spamming of things for sale for real money. And then if they figure out how to get to general chat, they can walk in on some convos that are not very welcoming.

It just seems like general chat should be comfortable for everyone. I play a lot of online games and ours is the worst general chat i have encountered. And it could be taken care of by handing out a few spankings here and there.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did have a friend get a 24hr ban last month for saying some stuff to another player so it does happen.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My issue isn't the language or threats or your mama talk...it's that it goes on in the general chat. I know it's not very likely, but there is the "promise" of steam and a new player experience, etc... As far as i know it's still a 13+ age rated game.

If this mythical new player logs on to our game, first they get sent to the help channel with non stop spamming of things for sale for real money. And then if they figure out how to get to general chat, they can walk in on some convos that are not very welcoming.

It just seems like general chat should be comfortable for everyone. I play a lot of online games and ours is the worst general chat i have encountered. And it could be taken care of by handing out a few spankings here and there.
Do you honestly think someone who logs into UO gen chat will be so offended that they'll log out and never return just because of what they my "overhear" on gen chat? How old do you think these new players are going to be? How old is the average steam subscriber? I highly doubt any millennial will be that offended...la

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
honestly a year ago the thread would have been deleted in 5mins.
So what you're saying is, Stratics is more pro-bullying now than it was a year ago. This is distressing and almost makes me want to not read all the harassment that is being directed towards me.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what you're saying is, Stratics is more pro-bullying now than it was a year ago. This is distressing and almost makes me want to not read all the harassment that is being directed towards me.
i suppose so. their bullying me into using a new site when i just want my old dusty forum :p

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you honestly think someone who logs into UO gen chat will be so offended that they'll log out and never return just because of what they my "overhear" on gen chat? How old do you think these new players are going to be? How old is the average steam subscriber? I highly doubt any millennial will be that offended...la
It's more just that this old ass game needs all the help it can get to keep new players, and a horrid community does not qualify as help.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's more just that this old ass game needs all the help it can get to keep new players, and a horrid community does not qualify as help.
I disagree with your assumption that UO has a horrid community. Spend some time in other games. UO gen chat is child's play compared to other online games...la

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'll sure as hell talk about the old administration. Petra and friends largely murdered this forum through horrendous overmoderation. Any thread that expressed any sort of strong or controversial opinion was instantly locked, and the result was a tiny sleepy "civil" forum that had absolutely nothing interesting to say.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I disagree with your assumption that UO has a horrid community. Spend some time in other games. UO gen chat is child's play compared to other online games...la
Most of those games also have shiny new graphics, active devs and, and this is a big one, no monthly fee.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most of those games also have shiny new graphics, active devs and, and this is a big one, no monthly fee.
What does the quality of graphics have to do with the behavior of a small portion of the community? Nothing...la

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I agree that ultimately it was wrong for someone to have "allegedly" said that...I'll go back to so what? But, but but, someone on teh internets told me to jump off a bridge...so I did. Really?

To be honest I see a failure in our society for raising such weak people. Please remember the old adage about sticks and stones (and yes, it's wrong to throw sticks and stones)...la
Weak people ?

Everybody start out weak if you tell your little girl every day for a year that she is butt ugly she is probably going to think that it is true

Depression and mental illness have existed since dawn of humanity nothing new there

I have said many times i feel sorry for the young kids growning up today with internet back when i was a kid there was almost no computers and if you got picked on it was only for a couple of hours a day in school now in worst case it is around the clock 7 days a week since the bullys can get to you on the net

And it is easy to say that they should just stay away from instagram and chat rooms that hurt them but it does not work like that over and over again i seen kids put themselves in these kind of situations probably because even if they know it is not good for them they still want to know what people say about them it is not smart but hey no surprise there kids does not always do what is best for them

I am 100% sure that when the kids of today grow up mental illness will be much more common than in my age group because of internet
Young kids that show signs of depression most likly will suffer the rest of theire life as of today there is no cure the chemical composition of the brain changes for a person with depression

If the players of UO show that they are not mature enough and know basic manner they are not yet ready to have unregulated chat it is that simple and it is our duty as adult internet users to show how to behave

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weak people ?
Yes weak people. Telling every kid they are winners (even if they suck at a game). Giving everyone a trophy just for participating. Requiring helmets for a kid to ride a bike down the street...and the list goes on and on. The millennial generation is doooooomed (and weak)...la

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What does the quality of graphics have to do with the behavior of a small portion of the community? Nothing...la
I was continuing on with my statement that UO needs all the help it can get.

Although you'll continue with your "lol its teh internets who cares if there's blatant harassment going on" no matter what I guess

Bethany_lg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's the first impression of your player base Rico. I do play other games, and we are the worst hands down. Am i personally offended? No. But if I were new to a game and was greeted by first the real market spammer and then the offensive language...I would assume there is no policing of any rules. And sadly that's about true.

I don't really want to and i don't feel the need to defend how I feel. But general chat should be suitable for the 13 year old and the 80 year old, because oddly enough our player base is that wide.

And when you think about that, think about how big this game could be if they would just put a little effort into the player experience and customer service...the things that keep people paying money instead of going to something free.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes weak people. Telling every kid they are winners (even if they suck at a game). Giving everyone a trophy just for participating. Requiring helmets for a kid to ride a bike down the street...and the list goes on and on. The millennial generation is doooooomed (and weak)...la
i have a four year old and i have taught.him to be a leader... not a follower. he came to me the other day when we were at the park and he was trying to play with some older kids... one prevented him from getting on a slide.. anyways came to me and said they were being mean to him... i told him to get over it.. i told him if they are being mean and you don't like it you have a choice..... deal with it.. or go find someone else to play with.. he said ok and tried again.. one kid being rude just about pushed him down... he gave him a look and then found another place and kid to play with and had a blast.

i told him later that kids like that are not worth ur time and you don't want em as friends.

Did i get up and talk to there parents and or the kid.. hell no he gotta be strong and figure this out. life you get bullied... you don't always get along...

and when he gets hurt i don't run to him ... i tell him to get up and not to be a wuss ... and when he looses i tell him to try harder next time... and 2nd place is the first looser. hard? nah .. dude has to grow up and he a man.. not some loser with a helmet and a bunch of second place loser trophies.

la

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I downgraded myself to your level merlin.. Or else im not sure you would't had understood the message, same goes for trollberg :)
"you would't had understood the message"

Pure poetry. The literary greats have nothing on you my friend.
I am guessing that English is your 2nd language? If so, that's cool and I commend you on being somewhat bi-lingual :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
not some loser with a helmet and a bunch of second place loser trophies.

la
This I find offensive. First off I live across the street from a facility that takes care of folk who wear helmets all the time. Not that they had a choice or wanted to be there. Secondly the kid who wears the helmet on the bike will outlive the kid who rides without and cracks his skull losing his brains all over the sidewalk the first time he gets thrown from his bike... he WON'T be getting back up ... he'll be living with the kids across the street getting fed by a tube... Not much of a life I'd chose for my child.

And finally... yes it's one thing to teach a kid the choice of not playing the bullies game. However there have always been bullies... though kids today tend to hold in their pain and frustration and then take it out in a very unhealthy way killing several in their wake. Doing insane **** like coming back to a school years later and opening fire on innocent children... etc... We didn't do that sort of crap when I was a kid. If we had a problem we took it out in sports, or we had a fist fight in the playground... But then when I was a kid if I got caught being a jerk my Father grabbed me by the ear and yanked me where I needed to go and made me apologize for being a jerk. Also back then when I got home from school my Mom was there and all kinds of Moms where home you didn't ride your bike in the street like an idiot because someones Mother would see you and your folks would "hear about it!" and then you'd get it. But now you can't do anything to keep your kid from being an ass because you are being "abusive" your kid KNOWS you can't touch them... and they use it against you. And when I was a kid smoking a "cigarette" was the most horrible thing you might do. Not smoking Pot so much sure you knew who was a pothead... but now you worry about kids doing all kinds of drugs, sniffing, huffing, and choking themselves for a high or attention...

The world is completely F'ed. IMO.

As for the chat I don't think that it's about tough skins or whatever.... its about common courtesy and being a decent human being.. and most decent human beings prefer not to have to tolerate that sort of behavior. And I shouldn't have to be cut off from using an important game tool just because a few twerks can't grow up and behave. I get tired of having to constantly put people on ignore. My ignore list is so long now I honestly can't remember who all is on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.