• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Job specific gear/leveling guides?

M

Malec

I am looking for help deciding on which job to commit to. Ive got a rough idea on what most classes do, but is there anything like a leveling guide or gearing up guide for each class?

Ive had some people help me out by giving me money, but i just want to make sure that i'm buying the best possible gear for my money/level

Thanks!

--Malic, Caitsith server

T

tanls

You might get tired of the answer, but.... Yes there are job/gear guides out there. There are many online sources for that and all other information for the game. This game is so large that I haven't found 1 all encompassing website to cover it all. Also, most of the sites get their info from players and player experimentation, and so should be taken with a grain of salt. Having said that, one of the best sites that I use for information is the FFXIclopedia. It's a wiki site.

You'll also find that you won't have to upgrade gear as much as a mage, but you will need to have all your spells. Gear upgrades are more important for melee jobs, so it kinda comes out the same in the end. Some of the best low level gear available cannot be gotten unless you have a higher level job, so basic equipment is all you really need until you get into Artifact range. You can get the +1 stuff, but the cost is usually not worth the extra bonus. Sry I'm not more specific, but there is just so much information available that you really need to look for yourself. Also, there really isn't a "cookie cutter" template you want to follow, you will find that different gear fits different play patterns. Experiment and see what works best for you.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thing you can do is change to a job, then view the gear at the auction house. anything you can wear at your present level is yellow. From there, you can check what they've been selling for, and compare that to the money you have and the stats on the items. There are some staples for each job, like WHM=mind/mp gear, BLM=int/mp, THF=dex, etc, but most often any gear you CAN equip will be good for the job you're going to wear it for, especially for the lower levels. Often times when I'm waiting to do something else, i do exactly that; check the AH and see what's available for me.

T

tanls

You're Welcome. You just need to realize that those gear lists are not all encompassing and some of them are VERY outdated. That's why I didn't just come out and tell you. There really is no cookie cutter pattern, and with the addition of all the newer gear that has come out with WoTG, the selection of gear has increased even more. You will need to balance availabilty, cost, and stats for all your gear. Some things are fairly easy to get and are very affordable from NPC merchants, and I would suggest that you look to those NPCs almost exclusively at the very beginning. You could buy them on the AH, but you will find that NPCs will usually sell them MUCH cheaper. Also, some of the best gear in the game are drops from NMs that might be either over camped or too high a level for you to take on. There is also a HUGE list of Rare/Exclusive gear that will not show up on the AH.

Y

YoungUn

I use the wiki as a guide, and then do what Trish says and go and look in the AH every level or so. Sometimes I find stuff I think will work better, but then someone I trust looks at my gear and goes "you should get...." and I go and look at it.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're Welcome. You just need to realize that those gear lists are not all encompassing and some of them are VERY outdated. That's why I didn't just come out and tell you. There really is no cookie cutter pattern, and with the addition of all the newer gear that has come out with WoTG, the selection of gear has increased even more. You will need to balance availabilty, cost, and stats for all your gear. Some things are fairly easy to get and are very affordable from NPC merchants, and I would suggest that you look to those NPCs almost exclusively at the very beginning. You could buy them on the AH, but you will find that NPCs will usually sell them MUCH cheaper. Also, some of the best gear in the game are drops from NMs that might be either over camped or too high a level for you to take on. There is also a HUGE list of Rare/Exclusive gear that will not show up on the AH.
Race also figures into what gear you should get and tactics you should be using. i.e. a Taru would like more +STR gear for melee hits typically...depending on their job.

You can balance things out more down the road when you merit in certain areas...but gear will always have it's place. Can really make things more or less difficult for you.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That said, as other's have said, gear guides you have to take with a grain of salt. Gear guides also lead to sort of an elitist type attitude that this game can have with "end-game" players.

How you do your job is what matters most. As such I will provide a leveling guide with different routes and interesting ideas you can take.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LEVELING GUIDE:

Level 1 to 10: On your own. Any of the newbie areas.

Level 10 to 20: Can pretty much solo fast 10 to 15 or 16 depends on your job. White mage...not so much. You can solo longer if you want but it starts to get tedious, unless you're a spellcaster and have good solo abilities.

* Can go to Dunes on the west side or secret beach for the grind up to 20. Bastok people can choose Korroloka Tunnel and fight the land worms.

Some people goto Qufim Island early but I really don't recommend it. At level 20 and on it will be easy enough. No reason to struggle...unless you have PL i suppose.

Qufim Island can stay there till level 24. You can choose to fight inside Delkfutt's tower, fighting the gobs, then bats, then giants till you hit 24 or 25. Giants I don't advise to fight before level 22ish/23.

Then move onto

24-27 Yuhtunga Jungle (Kazham zone)
26-28 Yuhtunga Jungle (Goblin Furrier) you can do which is in another area.

You can then goto the other jungle and stay there till LV32 or opt to goto Sauromugue Champaign and do evil weapons at around level 29 to 31.

Eastern Altep, Garliage or Crawler's nest you can goto at 33 and stay till 37 or so.

If you like CN well it is possible to stay there all the way to 54.
35-38 Crawler's Nest (Worker Crawler), Main room.
37-40 Crawler's Nest (Nest Beetle), is just one main camp near the main room for these.
40-43 Crawler's Nest (Soldier Crawler/Hornfly) (Secret room is where you go).
45-48 Crawler's Nest (Rumble Crawler) You move to the right side at around the F-9 area.

It's up to you if you stay after level 48/49 or so as some people elect to goto Garliage Citadel at 46/47 or so depending on your party setup.

You can manage level 46ish if you have a ranger and a thief in your party. The Citadel will take you to your level 50 cap quest if you are new. Alternatively you can party in Quicksand Caves from around 48 to 52 or so.

At the famous LV53/54 mark you will start partying in the ToAU area's. It is best to have what staging points you can out of the way before you start the VERY fast leveling grind. DD's starting around level 55 on will push out some amazing damage. I routinely did 1000 damage or more as a thief even when I was new.

Below is all the other main ToAU as well as alternative (old school) camping places. So use some ingenuity. If all camps for the 67 range are full you can goto Cape Terrigan and goto the far zone to fight Manticore. They are very easily manageable with a Ninja tank. Don't have a paladin as they will do an MP down move frequently.

56-60 Cape Terrigan (Robber Crab/Velociraptor/Terror Pugil)
58-61 Valley of Sorrows (Velociraptor)
59-62 Wajaom Woodlands (Puk)
59-63 Aydeewa Subterrane (Defoliator)
59-63 Monastic Cavern (Orc)
60-63 Labyrinth of Onzozo (Torama)
60-63 Quicksand Caves (Antica)
61-64 Aydeewa Subterrane (Aydeewa Diremite)
61-64 Bibiki Bay (Tragopan)
61-65 Bhaflau Thickets (Colibri/Date Eruca)
62-64 Cape Terrigan (Sand Cockatrice)
62-65 Boyahda Tree (Processionaire)
62-69 Mount Zhayolm (Magmatic Eruca)
63-65 Uleguerand Range (Demon/Fachan/Tyrannotaur)
63-66 Boyahda Tree (Steelshell)
64-66 Den of Rancor (Cloister of Tides)
65-68 Boyahda Tree (Elder Goobbue)
65-67 Bibiki Bay (Catoblepas/1st-tier Hobgoblin)
66-68 Den of Rancor (Tormentor)
66-68 Mamook (Ziz)
66-69 Boyahda Tree (Darter)
66-69 Gustav Tunnel (Skeletons)
67-75 Caedarva Mire (Heraldic Imp/Spongilla Fly)

LV 70 to 75 merit range. Can merit at Castle Oztroja, Caedarva Mire, Bibiki Bay and Bhaflau Thickets. Those are some of the more frequented places.

67-70 Cape Terrigan (Greater Manticore)
Can also do spiders (bark tarantula) and darters in Dragon's Avery.

68-71 Bibiki Bay (Catoblepas/2nd-tier Hobgoblins)

69-72 Ro'Maeve (Do the higher up level weapons)

70-75 Caedarva Mire (Lamia Idolator/Heraldic Imp)

73-75 Castle Oztroja (Yagudo) Can start at the zone and fight your way up. Any spot that isn't crowded is fine. Fighting near the zone works as well.

Anyhow this is just one example. Just keep in mind there is ALWAYS more than one zone to experience party in. As some servers have high populations, always keep alternative spots in mind when forming a party.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can always goto Caedarva Mire at level 66 or so and can stay till level 68ish and fight Shadows. That camp is a lot of FUN. Just bring along a ninja tank and if you are a red mage lol...don't convert. It is not a good idea.