• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is the KOTL content permanent or temporary?

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't see anything which said for sure. But are the drops and turn ins a permanent
addition or will it be turned off like the Tokuno drops were. My game time is limited
any more and I really love all the new stuff that is being added. Kudos to the Dev Team!!!!

Thanks!!

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what i understood its temporary, much like treasures of tokuno events. But i will gladly be corrected ;)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
With such a small team, and limited resources, I'd think they'd want to keep it running for a pretty good while at least.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We had this discussion in a few other threads. Don't know why the team won't comment on it and let us know. How high does our security clearance have to be to get an answer on this?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When this was on TC1, Kyronix was leaning towards a permanent addition. This makes sense since there are purchasables for craftable items, and it leaves the door wide open for future recipe additions.

Who knows what the current thought is though. As usual, the silence is deafening.

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree on the permanent, I love the new dungeon looks. As far as the silence it has ALWAYS been
this way from all the teams. Never did understand it, but oh well.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd not have it permanent. It is nice to have (even a false) impression of something happening. Timed, temporary event can easily appear as something new and different, it can easily feel like 'breaking news'. Inevitably, permanent counterpart loses some of the charm; it i breaking news in same fashion Tuesday following monday is.
Ideally, I feel we'd have 6-8 such events rotating over 12 months.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the doom one wasn't permanent.
they initially said they where gonna rotate the system through different dungeons yearly.
my guess is that its not gonna be around forever.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the doom one wasn't permanent.
they initially said they where gonna rotate the system through different dungeons yearly.
my guess is that its not gonna be around forever.
This addition seems more aimed at long term to me. The revamping of 2 doom items and a new (and powerful) pet shouldn't just be one time deals.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perm. because it is something I enjoy doing a few hours a week and hate grinding endlessly to get things from temp content. And it seems to me that it is a absolute waste of dev time and resources to build temp content that after a month or two will be removed. And that is the only way to get the heads and parts for the recipes and spinny arm auto things. Leave the temp crap for the EMs

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Similar to the Treasures of Doom event, this should not be permanent "just because". I would advocate for letting it run until about mid-November.

It would be nice if maybe they brought it back more than once a year and offered different turn-in rewards each period. However, it should otherwise not be something that's permanently turned on. We already have the Blackthorn's Dungeon which is permanently turned on should you like this style of collecting minor arties and turning them in for better items.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Temporary is best.

There's no point doing holiday events if they all just become content.

I'll just let them farm everything into oblivion, and when prices are next to nothing, buy the items I need.

If they do make this permanent, they need to remove all items but the consumeables from the turn-in list.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But it has nothing to do with the holiday, so is it really a "holiday event" and not part of the effort to give people a reason to visit Eodon?

Doom at least was undead/demonic monsters in a spooky dungeon, with some sorta on theme rewards.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
But it has nothing to do with the holiday, so is it really a "holiday event" and not part of the effort to give people a reason to visit Eodon?

Doom at least was undead/demonic monsters in a spooky dungeon, with some sorta on theme rewards.
It is, since it replaced the treasures of doom that occurred the last two years.

I suppose there would have been some sort of pitchforks and torches had they tried to recycle the same content a third time.

Along with some of the rewards being skeletal hangman, sacrificial alter, etc.

I get what you're trying to say, but it is for the holiday event. Same as the others were.

Mayhem

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is, since it replaced the treasures of doom that occurred the last two years.

I suppose there would have been some sort of pitchforks and torches had they tried to recycle the same content a third time.

Along with some of the rewards being skeletal hangman, sacrificial alter, etc.

I get what you're trying to say, but it is for the holiday event. Same as the others were.

I don't think this is a holiday event given the time frame they activated it...if so I expect Christmas gifts anyday...

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't see anything which said for sure. But are the drops and turn ins a permanent
addition or will it be turned off like the Tokuno drops were. My game time is limited
any more and I really love all the new stuff that is being added. Kudos to the Dev Team!!!!

Thanks!!
Seems like a lot of content to build for a small team, to just remove it again after a few months.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I don't think this is a holiday event given the time frame they activated it...if so I expect Christmas gifts anyday...
Most people would recognize it as the Halloween event. They simply spanned it long enough to give enough participation time.

Otherwise, do tell, what you thought treasures of doom were for?

And since this is in lieu of...

You can figure it out from there...

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They created a whole unique dungeon and puzzles for this. Is there any reason to imagine that it's temporary or holiday-based? I mean I know the Doom thing was temporary, but that was just bolted onto an existing dungeon. The only other time they created a new dungeon for this kind of thing, Blackthorn's, it was permanent.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
They created a whole unique dungeon and puzzles for this. Is there any reason to imagine that it's temporary or holiday-based? I mean I know the Doom thing was temporary, but that was just bolted onto an existing dungeon. The only other time they created a new dungeon for this kind of thing, Blackthorn's, it was permanent.
They may keep the dungeon but stop the turn-ins, or at the very least limit it.

No one implied they'd remove the dungeon.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

This is the second or third thread where the duration of the Treasures of Kotl turn-ins has been questioned. Could you comment?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yes, because the dungeon won't be completely abandoned if you remove the only reason to go there
There are a few dungeons that are abandoned that had content updated for them.

Regardless, no one said they wouldn't reuse it.

But we will see when the next newsletter comes out.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Temporary is best.

I'll just let them farm everything into oblivion, and when prices are next to nothing, buy the items I need.

If they do make this permanent, they need to remove all items but the consumeables from the turn-in list.
what Holiday Labor day USA?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
just make it like the doom event, too much pixels is bad for game. think will end oct 1st or oct 31

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
If they do turn it off, it would be nice if there were an alternate means of getting the automaton parts. It would be terrible if we could not craft these in the future due to running out of those parts.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They may keep the dungeon but stop the turn-ins, or at the very least limit it.

No one implied they'd remove the dungeon.
Why would anyone ever go to that dungeon without the turn in system? There would be zero point.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why would anyone ever go to that dungeon without the turn in system? There would be zero point.
Why would it have to be all or nothing? Who says the Dev's didn't already plan for it to be temporary, with replacement content already developed and waiting to be turned on when TOK gets turned off? It would seem incredibly off to say that the Treasures event will cycle through different dungeons each fall, call this event a Treasures event... then make it perm.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
you wouldn't until the next time they used it.

It's likely since they have consumeables and will be discussing it in the newsletter, it will be around or used in some fashion.

I hope it's only for consumeables, if they do.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would it have to be all or nothing? Who says the Dev's didn't already plan for it to be temporary, with replacement content already developed and waiting to be turned on when TOK gets turned off? It would seem incredibly off to say that the Treasures event will cycle through different dungeons each fall, call this event a Treasures event... then make it perm.
Of course It doesn't have to be. I'm just saying without this system there is no reason to use this dungeon. They COULD have a whole different thing ready for after the holiday, but I don't see any reason with any given info that we should expect anything of that nature.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of course It doesn't have to be. I'm just saying without this system there is no reason to use this dungeon. They COULD have a whole different thing ready for after the holiday, but I don't see any reason with any given info that we should expect anything of that nature.
Funny enough, it's exactly what I was expecting given the communication we have received. Of course I have know way to know which of us is right.

I could easily see them putting a champ alter on the big blue floor using the spectral lizards, myrmidex, automatons, etc. and putting the two ingredients from the turn-ins inside the regal crates like the heads, books, cards and activators. Of course that would only be one option, but a pretty easy way to keep the research area valid and cycle the Treasures event to some other dungeon next year.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I hate to see these things happen in the summer months. Not that I begrudge others that have the opportunity. Much to do, places to go, cottage to relax in. Heat index of 100 in Michigan today with a heat advisory. So today is an exception

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Thanks!!
Well now we have the answer... We have until mid November to claim any reward except the automaton parts. Best stock up on anything you like.

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the moonstone thing disappears from the game and I'll never craft the dr's lenses again? What is the point of having the recipe learned?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So the moonstone thing disappears from the game and I'll never craft the dr's lenses again? What is the point of having the recipe learned?
The black moonstone and the actuator will move to being BOD rewards.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
u only need read latest announcemnet

Finally, there is still time for you to venture into the Kotl City and claim the many rewards held within! The Kotl City will be available until Publish 95 goes World Wide in November.

so ends kinda circa early november!!!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I guess I will actually have to bother doing it now to get some of the stuff I still want. Bleh. :p
I liked it better when it was in Doom!

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where does it say the black moonstones will become BOD rewards? ( I hope they do)
But from what I'm reading it just says the Automaton items will move to the BOD system and a black moonstone is not needed to make an Automaton.

2. How long with the Treasures of the Kotl City be available?

The Treasures of the Kotl City will be active until we publish 95 which is in the middle of November. After that Automaton items can be obtained through the new BOD system that will be available with Publish 95.

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The newsletter says the ingredients for the automation will move to the BOD system. The black moonstone is not an ingredient for the automation...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hrm.. yes.. it doesn't say anything about the black moonstone... Not giving a way to acquire these is shortsighted in the extreme, as the recipes will become useless.

@Kyronix Please rethink shutting down Kotlan. Eodon really can't do with loosing 1/5th of its content.

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Clearly this is an effort to stimulate gripping RP:

Olga sat back in her rocking chair and shook her withered, liver-spotted fist at the bright-eyed young gargoyle crafter before her.

"You kids these days don't know a thing about crafting! Why, back in my day, I stood at the Minoc bank--in Felucca, mind you!--for days on end, making scales and throwing them on the ground. Days! I made so many scales, meticulously, one at a time, that I permanently damaged my wrists! I made mountains of platemail chests before we figured out how to smelt them back down--oh, the waste! I threw so many oilcloths in the Cove bay it's a wonder a ship can sail there to this day!"

Her face softened. "But there were good times, too. I used to know right where to go for valorite, before dark magics shifted the veins around so that only mindless golems have a chance to find anything good. And..."

She paused, then broke into a dreamy smile.

"There was this ore, too. A special ore. Black moonstone. We couldn't mine it--no sir! We sent our mage friends down into the Kotlan holodeck for it. Don't look at me like that, it's true! They'd turn those holograms on and shake the ruins until artifacts fell out of the ceiling. It's a wonder the dungeon is still there. They'd take the artifacts up to the researcher outside the entrance. I guess he had a secret mine somewhere, because there was no other source of this material. And what an amazing material it was!"

She leaned forward in her rocking chair and looked straight into the young gargoyle's eyes.

"With this material, I could turn a hat into glasses! Fabric into glass!"

She leaned back and sighed.

"But now... the holodeck is dark once more. They shook all the artifacts out of it they could, and the researcher sold his mine to the Mining Cooperative. The Mining Cooperative! Those fools who can't even get Minoc to work a deal with them! So now here we are again, making mountains of scales and platemail chests and oilcloths... but now we have to do it on request, and fill up these orders that take up all our house space, and trade them for the ore!"

She shook her head.

"At least Vela's still selling those transmutation things. I guess I can send a warrior friend out to the Void Pool. Virtues know I can't do a damn thing there."

She slowly rose from her rocking chair and heaved her shovel up from nearby.

"It's a thankless life, that of an honest miner. Maybe even a pointless one. But it's the one I chose."

She limped away toward the nearby mountain range. The gargoyle crafter watched her go, an expression of confusion on his face. He waited until she was out of sight, then summoned his messenger pigeon, wrote a quick cash offer to his favorite golem keeper for a hundred moonstone ore, and returned to the inn to sleep another few weeks.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not sure that is completely true. The black moonstones are not part of the automaton crafting process. The notes in the news letter only indicate that the automaton crafting will move to the BoD system. Possibly just an oversight on the language... @Kyronix Can you clarify if the moonstones will be available through the BOD system or if we should stock up on them now?