• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it illegal to block a scripter's recall spot?

Andsteel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has probably been asked many times but I must have missed it... Can I block a recall spot with animals?

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

who's ganna page the person that is afk scripting? I say Block em!!!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see why it would be illegal. There are plenty of other ways to get there :p

Plus, you never really did know it was their recall spot to being with, did you... ;) ;)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has probably been asked many times but I must have missed it... Can I block a recall spot with animals?
It should be considered harassment. Period.

Just what UO needs is a bunch of Vigilanties taking the RoC into their own hands.

Not like there is issue enough with the MANY INTERPRETATIONS by the GM's, let let the players do it as well.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
During guild meetings and our tavern night we used to have a box made of oak that had luck on it, filled it with 390 stones worth of ore and placed it on the spot a scripter would recall in and mine every 20 mins. all night... every night.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just what UO needs is a bunch of Vigilanties taking the RoC into their own hands.

Not like there is issue enough with the MANY INTERPRETATIONS by the GM's, let let the players do it as well.

But who are they harrassing if the person isn't really there?

I say if the person is cheating who cares if someone blocks their recall spot.

U

UOKaiser

But how do they know hes not really there. Lets say he is and have to take a long route to his spot then kills the animals and continues his business then the vigilante does the same thing again. Then that should be classified as harrasment and the so call vigilanty will get paged on. Should this vigilante take the risk to his account? 2 wrongs dont make a right. Its against the ROC to harrass so if anything crosses the line the person doing the harrasing should also be paged on.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But how do they know hes not really there. Lets say he is and have to take a long route to his spot then kills the animals and continues his business then the vigilante does the same thing again. Then that should be classified as harrasment and the so call vigilanty will get paged on. Should this vigilante take the risk to his account? 2 wrongs dont make a right. Its against the ROC to harrass so if anything crosses the line the person doing the harrasing should also be paged on.

I think it would be pretty easy to tell if they were scripting or not. First try to talk to them if they don't say anything watch them and time how long it takes them to recall in and out.

Block their spot then wait a few minutes and unblock it.
Don't hide so if they are there they can say something too you. If they recall in dump their stuff off then recall out again, block their spot a few more times and if they still don't say anything too you I doubt they are there. I know if someone kept blocking my spot I would say something to them.

And if they are then they can page on you but unless they ask you to stop I'm not sure if you can actually get in trouble. I could be wrong but I think they have to ask you to stop first.

F

Farscape

Never known two wrongs to make it right simply the answer to the original post is No :sad4:

Desperado_SE

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never known two wrongs to make it right simply the answer to the original post is No :sad4:
Actually, the answer is yes, you can since blocking a recall spot is not considered illegal according to the RoC.

And to Kaiser, might want to read up on what harassment is according to EA:

The following are NOT considered physical harassment:

* Res killing
* Stealing or kill stealing
* Legal player killing, such as takes place in guild and faction wars
* Refusal to take turns at spawn points
* Refusal to resurrect another player
* Blocking a recall location
* Area Peacing

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
* Res killing
* Area Peacing
Thank you! Honestly, "harassment"... good grief.

In the days of real guild wars, we used to have an entire squad of mages set up at enemy banks to dispel their gates. :D

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Answer honestly,

Can you prove there is no one there?
Is it illegal for a player to NOT talk to you?

As blocking a recall site is considered legal, the question is one of ethics and players harassing other players.

Yes because it is legal, it is not "technically" harassment.

That is just white noise.

Most all of the replies in this thread are based on the original UO perspective or the Felucca perspective. Or in short the perspective of being able to legaly harass people.

I don't Like Joe, I hide at his house and find his recall point. I waste my time and wait for him to go and block his recall point.

Explain to me how, in the spirit of the RoC that I am not harassing Joe?

U

UOKaiser

Yes sure blocking a spot not harrasment unless the player calls in as being griefed in trammel. Whith the ways GM interpertive things what are the chances a GM wont consider another player harrasing another player by continous blocking of another player in trammel. Thats one thing with players that look at the ROC to be the word but GM just reference it maybe as they will most likly just get confused which game there in and use there own judgements. It will not be a problem in fellucia where people curse and get away with it but in trammel it's a whole different story. Im just advising the poster does he really want to risk his account on anothers person actions.
It's being my experience that the ones who try to be police are usually breaking the law. Cast the the first stone if youre whiout sin type deal. They wont stop on just saying hello they will continue and continue to luring following the suspect everywhere they go, Even if they have no proof they continue to find the first thing first word a reason to page and it just continues to get worst making the would be hero into the greater villan. Aint there still plenty of things to do in UO like play?

Andsteel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Answer honestly,

As blocking a recall site is considered legal, the question is one of ethics and players harassing other players.

Most all of the replies in this thread are based on the original UO perspective or the Felucca perspective. Or in short the perspective of being able to legaly harass people.

I don't Like Joe, I hide at his house and find his recall point. I waste my time and wait for him to go and block his recall point.

This player has two characters recalling in as if by clockwork. It's a private house and huge amounts are being added to the packs . The 'busy bees' are working many hours straight. He is not there, he is scripting. It is in Felucca but I am not great on P v P but I do think scripters ruin the game I love. I am not harrassing him/her, I am merely stopping him from not playing according to the rules.
I have never met this person and have no animosity towards him as a person - just his illegal activities.

I have spoken to him/her but they recall out as soon as I reveal myself...

As an interesting aside, I asked a 'red' at trinsic bank yesterday if his guild killed scripters 'Oh, yes!' he replied but then vanished !! * sighs* what is a girl to do ?!

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This player has two characters recalling in as if by clockwork.
He is not there, he is scripting.
Yes, you have stated your opinion of the person.

BUT can you PROVE they are not there, that is the question. The simple answer is NO you a player can NOT PROVE THE PLAYER IS NOT THERE/SCRIPTING, you have insufficient information.

As I said earlier, most all the replies are centered/based on either the Original UO perspective of GRIEF EVERYONE or the Felucca perspective of GRIEF EVERYONE.

Being in Felucca this is not even a question of merit as it is the way of Felucca. Grief em until they quit, anything goes in Felucca.

So one might wonder why the question was even raised if the activities are in occuring in Felucca.

One might wonder why any Scripter would even waste their time in Felucca were it is open season on players.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its perfectly legal to block anyones recall spot, they can mark elsewhere if they choose

C

Connor_Graham

BUT can you PROVE they are not there, that is the question. The simple answer is NO you a player can NOT PROVE THE PLAYER IS NOT THERE/SCRIPTING, you have insufficient information.
If they're there, they'll complain about you blocking their spot. If they're not, you won't hear the complaints.

Seems simple enough. :scholar:

:lick:

U

UOKaiser

This player has two characters recalling in as if by clockwork. It's a private house and huge amounts are being added to the packs . The 'busy bees' are working many hours straight. He is not there, he is scripting. It is in Felucca but I am not great on P v P but I do think scripters ruin the game I love. I am not harrassing him/her, I am merely stopping him from not playing according to the rules.
I have never met this person and have no animosity towards him as a person - just his illegal activities.

As an interesting aside, I asked a 'red' at trinsic bank yesterday if his guild killed scripters 'Oh, yes!' he replied but then vanished !! * sighs* what is a girl to do ?!
Now thats interesting just kill his character thats it its fellucia and loot his ore. Now if he is there he log in with his fighter and kill you and you were wrong. Thats all to it. Ofcourse means you made a enemy and will need to learn to pvp then. But if youre after stoping someone that might be doing something against the rules then expect the person whenever he sees you and catches you doing anything against the roc to page on you. Which would be a curse word, a link, bugged quiver, something you thought was legal but really isnt, hell even say youre harrasing another character when youre not or have his guild grief you in different ways without you knowing there with him. Are you prepared for all the headaches? All because you want to stop his might be unattended macroing? If youre prepared for that then do what you want to do to have fun I guess.
I

U

UOKaiser

its perfectly legal to block anyones recall spot, they can mark elsewhere if they choose
Unless you block the next spot they mark and the next and the next. Wouldnt that be considered harrasment by the interpretation of a GM which is policing all online EA games.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you do this constantly (the blocking) how is it that you can rationalize that you are not harassing the player?

Regardless of the harassment being legal or not, how can you say your not?

C

Cazzador

sighs* what is a girl to do ?!

Go Deco your House? and let people play the way they want to play?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tram or Fel, very little with be done about it if history is any indication.

Years ago (back before AOS) a friend and myself had purchased a vendor house right on the road in a very busy area. So we threw a grand opening party. We had another friend located at Brit bank telling people about the party and gating people there. Someone got upset claiming we were spamming at the bank and proceded to tame bulls and leave them on our recall/gate spots. Clearly trying to ruin the party/grief us. We paged a GM and got a response that blocking recall spots was not against the RoC and told us to just re-mark our runes. Bear in mind this was back in the days when we actually had GM support who played UO and knew what they were talking about.

My point? If it bothers you that much, leave a cow on his spot. But just realize that if you continue to pursue this guy (ie. block his other spots if he re-marks) then you might be considered griefing.

T

Tycolby

Kill the Bot and loot him dry. Keep doing it until he moves homes or gets enough ppl to help him kill you.You can block but will you find all his recall spots? No you wont. Find his house and Kill him repeatedly.

Fel gives double resource so it takes half the time to get what you would in tram.

And remember all fair in the war Against Scriptors.

Kill them, Steal from them, and Block Them. They deserve it all.

U

UOKaiser

Kill the Bot and loot him dry. Keep doing it until he moves homes or gets enough ppl to help him kill you.You can block but will you find all his recall spots? No you wont. Find his house and Kill him repeatedly.

Fel gives double resource so it takes half the time to get what you would in tram.

And remember all fair in the war Against Scriptors.

Kill them, Steal from them, and Block Them. They deserve it all.
Well if he gets enough people to help kill her then hes attended and not a bot. Besides she admitted she dont pvp so she gonna have trouble with just 1 of him. Making her playing experience hell.
And not all fair in war against scripter that means you can become a scripter to fight the scripter that will just be replace one wiith another type thing.
Hell leave that alone and just come hunting with me. I'll show you the many many things to do that you wont have time to bother with that nonsense.

T

Tycolby

I never had a problem with scriptors until in one week they recalled in right next to me and upgraded ore and started digging next to me with out any care in the world. It happened three times that week and I needed that ore unchanged. They started the war not me.

For the most part the chars i see in Fel will say hello right off the bat to let ppl know that they are there.

Scriptor can report you up to 30 minutes after you kill them. Ive seen it but i dont know what the max time is to report. And it doesnt take much to look at your journal to see who killed you.

If you hunt or gather resources in Fel then learn to live in Fel.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just take your beginning lumberjack out there and build crates and set them down all over the place. Your not blocking spots, your working Carpentry ;)

Problem solved.

V

Vyrquenox

Answer honestly,

you aren't going to change his mind with reason or logic.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes sure blocking a spot not harrasment unless the player calls in as being griefed in trammel. Whith the ways GM interpertive things what are the chances a GM wont consider another player harrasing another player by continous blocking of another player in trammel.
Whoa there. I don't understand. You mean you are assuming if someone calls a GM on you - the GM will actually show up?

Are you also planning on winning the lottery today?

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We all know what a scripter looks like. A couple of apologists can sit here like laughingstocks and go "Maybe he's mining 23 hours a day by hand!" if they want, but nobody buys that. Block him.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Avoid attempting to block or try to kill them (potential scripters), you will just tip them off they've been busted by a player who has pretty much zero power to prevent their cheating within the game.

Most likely they will just move their script operation to a new location where you can't find them.

Instead use stealth so as not to tip off the scripters who check in on their operations once in awhile and then use the power of the PAGE.

Keep in mind that some people probably do script while attended and there seems to be little or nothing we can do to stop them because they are there and can actually answer the GM when he comes.

Be prepared to wait. It takes time for a GM to check on a potential scripter, sometimes many hours. Potential scripters don't seem to be a high priority on the page list, but it's been my experience that a GM WILL check on them eventually.

Even if a GM does catch them unattended, at most they'll probably just get a temporary suspension and be back in business a few days.

If you want them banned, you'll need to keep an eye on them over a period of time to see what, if anything happens to their script chars. If they get suspended for a day or two or three, then go back to scripting, page on them again, and if again they get suspended and come back, page again. It will take them being caught breaking the rules by the GM 3-4 times before they are finally banned.

My advice is, if you have paged on the same char at least three times on three different days during three different time periods (if at all possible), then it's best to assume that they are attended and just learn to ignore them.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't give a rat's arse if it is illegal or not. I can drop a crate wherever I like. If it blocks someone's recall spot, it shouldn't be too big a deal for that person to either wait 2 hours (until the item decays) or mark a new rune. Happens to me too, with the recall spots near the bank that often are littered.
I can also go down the Painted Caves and run from Lurg. Too bad if an unattended person doesn't see the danger and gets whacked within half a minute. I wouldn't even feel pity.

A

AesSedai

Avoid attempting to block or try to kill them (potential scripters), you will just tip them off they've been busted by a player who has pretty much zero power to prevent their cheating within the game.
- That's what I think every single time someone says to kill them since they are in Felucca. You might get 2% of what they make in a day; but you also saved them plenty by tipping them off that people are onto their schemes...

What did you say:
PAGE and let the cops handle (or ignore) it.

Then do it a bit later on if you are sure they are cheating, or if they're completely unsociable (one should be able to tell the difference; unless they use the same clockwork-illegal methods..).
Then hope that others are concerned too (or make other players aware of the rule breaking that we rely upon our GMs to handle, and add depth to your concerns).

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see why it would be illegal. There are plenty of other ways to get there :p

Plus, you never really did know it was their recall spot to being with, did you... ;) ;)
I agree with Viper :) Esp if they have a series of alternate recall mining spots in the same mine and recall to spots 8 tiles away from the last instead of walking over...and in the same sequence...

But you are going about it all wrong. Animals walk away, take up slots, unspawn and can be killed by spawns. Bagballs are cheap and don't walk/get attacked. Besides, I swear I saw some udder bloke dropping em.

I'm actually quite nice, I'll leave 1 spot for the nice person to recall in. But I'll mine that spot dry before he/she comes back.

:D

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless you block the next spot they mark and the next and the next. Wouldnt that be considered harrasment by the interpretation of a GM which is policing all online EA games.
yes, if someone goes that overboard to do that then they should have action taken against them

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just what UO needs is a bunch of Vigilantes taking the RoC into their own hands.

Too late.

There are way to many people in this game who just go around paging on other players because they think they are macroing.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depends.

Do you know for a fact that person is scripting? Maybe they just don't want to talk to you.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I honestly don't know why an anti-social person would play an MMORPG.

L

Loqucious

Technically yes, but do it anyway. A couple years back there was this guy spamming his vendor house like a mad man to the point where people were complaining loudly. So every time he opened a gate to his house I would walk through and stand there until the gate stopped. Then when he tried to open the gate again it was blocked.

He finally figured out what was happening and marked several runes to his house. He then went back to the bank and started spamming again. This time I went and bought several pack horses and named them all "gate blocker". I took each one through his gates and had them stay there to block it.

He cried to the GM's like a little baby. I got on my thief char and invised at his house. When the GM showed up he pointed out that the packy's were all named "gate blocker" and told the GM that I should be banned. The GM started to laugh and told him he thought it was funny and that he had received several complaints about his spamming, so he wasn't going to do anything about my packy's. Very funny.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I honestly don't know why an anti-social person would play an MMORPG.
?

I am puzzled by this response.

Initially I thought you were joking, then I thought a bit more and perhaps your saying you accept they do but can not come up with a reason why they do.

If it is the latter, well then I can give you more than a few reasons, if you want them.

Why ALL the MMORPG's are united in wanting to create a Virtual Jail for them, but can NOT, to date, because of the ease in getting a credit card number.

U

UOKaiser

Technically yes, but do it anyway. A couple years back there was this guy spamming his vendor house like a mad man to the point where people were complaining loudly. So every time he opened a gate to his house I would walk through and stand there until the gate stopped. Then when he tried to open the gate again it was blocked.

He finally figured out what was happening and marked several runes to his house. He then went back to the bank and started spamming again. This time I went and bought several pack horses and named them all "gate blocker". I took each one through his gates and had them stay there to block it.

He cried to the GM's like a little baby. I got on my thief char and invised at his house. When the GM showed up he pointed out that the packy's were all named "gate blocker" and told the GM that I should be banned. The GM started to laugh and told him he thought it was funny and that he had received several complaints about his spamming, so he wasn't going to do anything about my packy's. Very funny.

Thats interesting you brought that up. The crazy thing is a approved UO program called Uo vendor listed on this site which one of it's purposes is to spam aka advertise. Go figure lol

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
?

I am puzzled by this response.

Initially I thought you were joking, then I thought a bit more and perhaps your saying you accept they do but can not come up with a reason why they do.

If it is the latter, well then I can give you more than a few reasons, if you want them.
What's puzzling about it? If you don't want to interact with people why would someone pay a monthly fee for an MMO? There are plenty of other (some would argue better) RPG's out there that you don't have to pay monthly for, and you play offline without having to interact with other people. Seems like that would be a logical choice for someone who doesn't want to meet and play with or talk to others.

Why ALL the MMORPG's are united in wanting to create a Virtual Jail for them, but can NOT, to date, because of the ease in getting a credit card number.
As for this part, This makes no sense to me at all. But then again, I have a hard time following your point for most of your posts. Still, I have no idea what a virtual jail would do for anti-social people.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But then again, I have a hard time following your point for most of your posts..
Nuf said,

When people make their replies about the poster the ... post get uninteresting very fast.

It is not my purpose or goal, here or in life, to contribute to your confusion.

Just treat the post you replied to as nonsense and this post as even more nonsense and I will do my part in making the Stratics Community a better place :) Be safe and have fun.

J

J0KING

* Res killing
* Area Peacing

There are many occasions where I have set something down that I no longer needed. I don't feel that it is my fault that it happened to land on the location a person recalls in at every 5 minutes for an entire evening.

U

UOKaiser

* Res killing
* Area Peacing

There are many occasions where I have set something down that I no longer needed. I don't feel that it is my fault that it happened to land on the location a person recalls in at every 5 minutes for an entire evening.
Well luckly theres another ea statement on that effect
"Harassment consists of flagrant misuse and abuse of game mechanics with the intention of distressing and offending other players. So what's a game mechanic? Game mechanics allow players to interact with the world and each other. For example, the ability to block a doorway is a game mechanic. The ability to create macros with large amounts of text is a game mechanic. Use of game mechanics like these is by no means considered harassment in and of itself. The key to determining whether the mechanic is being misused or abused is to determine "intent". What was the person trying to achieve through their actions? Were they purposefully trying to disrupt someone else's game? While an action may cause others distress, it is not considered harassment until it is determined by OSI/EA that it was done to intentionally cause distress or to offend other players.
Also considered as harassment is any behavior that is incessant, inescapable, derogatory and directed specifically at you or your group. This includes the act of intentionally targeting and disrupting player events, which is never considered acceptable. An important point to note regarding this type of harassment is that a genuine attempt to alleviate the situation must have been made. This could be an attempt to leave the area or the offending player, or simply the act of asking them politely to stop. If a sincere attempt has been made to solve the problem and the offending player persists in the harassing behavior, it can be considered harassment, and the harassment tool should be used at this time."

So to summarize if the attemp to block another play is intentional and especially repetitive by disrupting there game it is harrasment.

Also to point out how people use the harrasment option to get the que faster to report scripters they have one for that as well "Invalid Harassment
Any use of the harassment tool that is not at all related to harassment, or is simply an attempt to get ahead in the GM queue, will be considered Invalid Harassment. We understand that even these calls can be the result of unintentional mistakes, and we will generally allow players a free instance or two without punishment. If the tool is being consistently and blatantly misused, it is possible that the player submitting the logs will receive a warning or temporary suspension"

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However, he's not disrupting anyone's play if there's no player at the other end :)

(I don't recommend getting into wars with scripters - that's the job of GMs/devs not players, but at the same time, if someone is a successful vigilantee, I don't want to discourage them from helping clean up the land)

U

UOKaiser

However, he's not disrupting anyone's play if there's no player at the other end :)

(I don't recommend getting into wars with scripters - that's the job of GMs/devs not players, but at the same time, if someone is a successful vigilantee, I don't want to discourage them from helping clean up the land)
Unless there is a player on the other end then he just get himself in trouble at the end or waste his game time on nothing when he could be out actually having fun. Worst off takes it too far and harrass innocent players. Trust me I know plenty of vigilanties that chase innocent players cause they just dont know the mechanics of certain parts of the game. Its a game play the game if they want to become gm's then try to apply for the position of one and get hired. Cause they are not getting paid enforcing there version of the TOS. Might as well go after all of the people who download music also I think RIAA is already failing in that aspect but do we need downloaders to do there job for them as well?

Z

Ziane

"Harassment consists of flagrant misuse and abuse of game mechanics with the intention of distressing and offending other players"

Can't see how someone could get distressed and/or offended if they're not there. If they are in fact at their keyboard, nothing would be easier than recalling in to a different spot. I do it all the time when I get the blocked message. Never upset me in the slightest.

Zi

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To UOKaiser: I know you might well just respond to me with something along the lines of "I don't have to do nothing!!", but please just please remember that someone saying "hello" is not harassment, but not responding is mighty rude.