• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Interesting Interview with Devs. Hints of classic server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NewThunder

I need to dissent.

Any change that can significantly effect the number of subscriptions has an effect on everyone.

If there is no subscriptions enough because a number of players quit playing the game over changes like this, the remaining number of players, regardless on which Shard they may play, Siege included, may not be sufficient to keep the whole game from running or receiving new content.......
The only number of players that seem to be upset is one, that being you. Repeating the same thing in 8 replies to the thread does not help your arguments, shows that you are simply a board troll. If the thought of your toons having to enter a PvP area stresses you that much you should quit. As the box says the game experience may change. Clearly from your posts you would like to have Uo become a single player game where you can tweak your char without risk, by definition "carebear"

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This Trammy looks forward to it, I'd like to get involved in some PvP again for the excitement.

It's just a shame the Item-Centric nature of the word along with it's Insurance System is gonna prevent it from being implementable in regards to creating a truely exhilerating experience. What's the point in being forced to battle other people unless there's something to be gained or lost? At least, that's how I feel about it.

What can ya do though? Not much. I'll take what I can get.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Speculation... What fun!

D

Der Rock

The only number of players that seem to be upset is one, that being you. Repeating the same thing in 8 replies to the thread does not help your arguments, shows that you are simply a board troll.
it´s more like small talk during setting and testing macros on the other computer :)
and consider that the majority of player like us dont post on stratics,but most classics(even if they dont have an active uo acc) post here,so the numbers of stratics poster do rarely show thereal status quo ;)

D

Der Rock

This Trammy looks forward to it, I'd like to get involved in some PvP again for the excitement.

It's just a shame the Item-Centric nature of the word along with it's Insurance System is gonna prevent it from being implementable in regards to creating a truely exhilerating experience. What's the point in being forced to battle other people unless there's something to be gained or lost? At least, that's how I feel about it.
and you realy belief 11 000 000 WoW player think like you? realy????

M

Mitzlplik_SP

No way will there be a classic server. Thats all we need is another server to further fragment other servers.

Classic server is a pipe dream,never happen.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Devs can read this thread. They have the googles.

Indeed, but my concern is that rumors may spread like wildfire and a post from an official rep digged deep into a thread titled not properly in regards to Stygian Abyss purchase concerns, might lead to misunderstandings.

So, I thought that having a proper thread clarifying this issue beyond any possible misunderstanding was the way to go, reassure perspective buyers about what the upcoming expansion will be or NOT will be (the Wild, WILD West concern....).

Can we now be sure that players in the game who heard about these concerns will be able to find an official clarification digged somewhere into this thread ?

I hope, but I am not so sure....

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only number of players that seem to be upset is one, that being you. Repeating the same thing in 8 replies to the thread does not help your arguments, shows that you are simply a board troll. If the thought of your toons having to enter a PvP area stresses you that much you should quit. As the box says the game experience may change. Clearly from your posts you would like to have Uo become a single player game where you can tweak your char without risk, by definition "carebear"

Since when all of the Ultima Online players post on Stratics ?

I used to know that only a fraction of the active subscribers actually actively posted on Forum boards.

This might have changed now, who knows......

Besides, I can feel from the posts in this thread alone that I am NOT alone in this concern, and that indeed there DO are others likewise concerned.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
and you realy belief 11 000 000 WoW player think like you? realy????

What can ya do though? Not much. I'll take what I can get.
No, I don't believe 11 000 000 WoW players think like me.

N

NewThunder

Since when all of the Ultima Online players post on Stratics ?

I used to know that only a fraction of the active subscribers actually actively posted on Forum boards.

This might have changed now, who knows......
Maybe they came here saw all the replies you have made on the same exact subject repeating ad nauseam the same argument over and over and decided not to bother posting.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Oh but it was also an ENTIRE different game than now where SKILLS was what mattered most, NOT items.

Meaning, that losses were much less painfull than what they could be nowdays in such a heavily item based game.
Devs know that, that's why they try to make it easier to craft good items, now we just need to get rid of item insurance so the crafters can get more customers.

Besides, back then everyone was moreless at the same level and reds where a minority.
No it took time to become GM, players was not all same level and there was not less reds than now.

Now, most PvPers are uber fitted and almost an impossible match.
Trust me, even a 80 in skill PK was an impossible match for many blue players in 1997-1998 as it was much about tactics. It was reds who lerned me how to PvP, most blue had no idea, they just run around like chickens when a fox show up and the fox would kill them all one by one.

For anyone trying to entry PvP would hardly mean fair fighting but being slaughtered over and over and over.

Furthermore, once the ganking started to show up and players trapped in houses and killed for the fun of others, the game started to LOOSE subscriptions.
It lost subscribers because new games showed up. I lost so many friends who quit when we got stat loss and every new exp pack made PvP'ers quit the game.

Only a fool would get killed over and over. If a PK killed you when you came back, you should be wise enough to wait to he was gone.

You won't lose your house now, you won't get your house looted unless you friend the wrong guy.

Making it all Felucca rules now would not really be a big deal, players would learn to survive.

That is my opinion of why Trammel was created, to try contain the loss of subscriptions due to ganks, people trapped in houses and killed at ease and all that.
Stat loss, Trammel, AoS items and item insurance was the 4 biggest mistakes in UO's history.

What was back then cannot come back, IMHO, because today the market is totally different and players have alternatives, and a whole lot.
You can't know, EA went the carebear way, we can't know, what the game had been today if they had keeped the wild, wild west route, you think it would had been long gone, I believe it would had been a lot more healty and we would had seen alot more young players play the game.

D

Der Rock

Devs know that, that's why they try to make it easier to craft good items, now we just need to get rid of item insurance so the crafters can get more customers.

You mean crafters get more and EA/Mythic losing most ?

R

RichDC

How about this for a new suggestion on PvP?

Fel, Full PvP, full loot, 5insured items.

Tram, PvP areas(the Wilderness, dungeons cannot be recalled into [but are safe from PvP?] towns still safe of course) no looting full stop

R

RichDC

Stat loss, Trammel, AoS items and item insurance was the 4 biggest mistakes in UO's history.

I would only agree with 2 of these.

Stat loss, i cant comment on as i wasnt around at the time...and sure as hell wasnt pvping!

Trammel, pretty similar.

AoS items...100% agree its why i quit for 6years!

Insurance...500% agree, i remember the excitement of dying in a dungeon knowing i only had a little time to return or i lost all of my gear!to either someone else finding my corpse and looting it or it decaying.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It isn't the Care Bears, Heck he could have pulled a fast one and caught a lot of people off guard, "The Townies" "The BlueBees" there are a dozen+ names for both sides.

It is the mentality that We know what the majority of the subscribers want and that is to be FORCED into PvP. That is going to haunt him.
There are dozens of names....but ya know what?? Using them makes you look like some 14 year old panty waist twit.

Being a cyber tough guy doesn't take much courage........If Calvin wants to babble about possibilities, let him.........it's all just misinformation then.
Nothing more than fence post gossip for the stratics grannys.

later

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you are thinking about imbuing then it is NOT affordable by anyone, besides, in a Wild WILD West UO only the same few will be allowed to harvest for the needed resources making it a Monopoly of a few just like Powerscrolls are.

No it took time to become GM, players was not all same level and there was not less reds than now.

I am not saying less reds than now in absolute terms, but less reds as compared to the number of blues playing. The ratio was larger back then at least to my perception.

Trust me, even a 80 in skill PK was an impossible match for many blue players in 1997-1998 as it was much about tactics. It was reds who lerned me how to PvP, most blue had no idea, they just run around like chickens when a fox show up and the fox would kill them all one by one.
This I agree with and it was this that got many to quit playing.
They grew tired of getting killed all over and to just feed the fun of others.

It lost subscribers because new games showed up. I lost so many friends who quit when we got stat loss and every new exp pack made PvP'ers quit the game.

Only a fool would get killed over and over. If a PK killed you when you came back, you should be wise enough to wait to he was gone.

Well, rez-killing was a fact.

Unfortunately, what some PvPers do not realize is that their abusing of other fellow players in the end back fires because the target of their fun eventually goes away.

This is the problem with PvP.
I don't think people is against PvP generally speaking, people is against being abused because of PvP.

If PvP had a code of honor, was fair and balanced with all participants on an evened field than I would imagine more would be willing to participate.

Unfortunately, among those who PvP there is also a number who have their fun in abusing of others, griefing them, who drive their fun from making others feel miserable.

Probably they are a minority, nonetheless, they get heard loudly and eventually get the victims not wanting to have anything with them and move elsewhere.

I do remember the UO of those times, and grief playing and making others feel miserable was rampant. This is what is not good for the game, IMHO.

Any society NEEDS rules and laws to be civil otherwise it is chaos and law of the jungle which is not a sign of civilization.

You won't lose your house now, you won't get your house looted unless you friend the wrong guy.

Making it all Felucca rules now would not really be a big deal, players would learn to survive.
I dissent.
If it will still be possible to gank, to hack, to be godly and have the upper hand nothing will change and the chances that others will be made feel miserable will be too high to bet that they will want to stay in such a game.

I disagree also. They saved the game and kept some revenue which helped it reach 12 years of age.

Without them, it would have died years ago.......

You can't know, EA went the carebear way, we can't know, what the game had been today if they had keeped the wild, wild west route, you think it would had been long gone, I believe it would had been a lot more healty and we would had seen alot more young players play the game.

We know the answer already : Siege Perilous and the Asian similar shard.

How populated are they ?

You have received your answer.........

Like it or not, the vast majority of the player base does not like the idea of being the playing tool of others and be made felt miserale paying for it on top of it.

It just makes no sense whatsoever.

N

NewThunder

Like it or not, the vast majority of the player base does not like the idea of being the playing tool of others and be made felt miserale paying for it on top of it.
Now you are speaking for a vast majority? just because you repeat the sentiment in post after post after post after post after post, does not make you the vast majority. Why is it that in poll after poll players want a classic shard? The trammalized game on it''s own is very boring, there needs to be an element of risk in the form of FEL, and there should be rewards for traveling to FEL.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm a Siege player, so this has almost no effect on me.. but it is horrible to see Trammies so scared of being pked that they would quit the game over 600x8 (slots) rather than band together and fight through (assuming that pks decide to camp the new spots). The spirit of old pre-trammel UO was that good citizens banded together in a group to defeat the murderers. It seems a lot have given up on that, they've given up on everything. You may as well find an old Furcadia server.
Dude, I'm gonna be polite, your on the loosing side of this argument. I play both sides of the fence on Production, and play Siege on occasion. The simple truth of it is, player could care less about the insurance gold in all honesty at least for the most part. It's the thought of another living breathing person sitting around finding enjoyment in disrupting the leisure activities of others. Not everyone is like the PvPer's on Prodo or the Siege players and really don't care either way about their toons getting killed, if they did then Siege would probably have more players than it does. UO is first and foremost a game, it's something alot of folks do for fun. Having thier leisure disrupted by others in what translates to a violent attack isn't amusing to them. This was one of the lessons about every other MMO took from UO when they were created.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude, I'm gonna be polite, your on the loosing side of this argument. I play both sides of the fence on Production, and play Siege on occasion. The simple truth of it is, player could care less about the insurance gold in all honesty at least for the most part. It's the thought of another living breathing person sitting around finding enjoyment in disrupting the leisure activities of others. Not everyone is like the PvPer's on Prodo or the Siege players and really don't care either way about their toons getting killed, if they did then Siege would probably have more players than it does. UO is first and foremost a game, it's something alot of folks do for fun. Having thier leisure disrupted by others in what translates to a violent attack isn't amusing to them. This was one of the lessons about every other MMO took from UO when they were created.

Well said and right on spot for what I am concerned.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, a lot of people have no real clue about the history of this game or they look back upon it through rose colored glasses because it did or does agree with their playstyle.

Do you guys even know where the term 'carebear' came from, who they were,or what they (we) did? I'll bet Calvin doesn't.

And the funny thing is the same kind of disruptive behavior exists even today, the same as in 1998, as our EM on Baja recently experienced. The difference being an EM has the power to eject.

It really wasn't about PvP, or being killed, or being looted. It was about the disruption of play.

I prefer to spend my time playing the way I want. Some days it's fighting and some days it is not. But I certainly don't want you suddenly turning up and deciding today's play session is about PvP when I want to do something else.

It really as simple as that. I get to decide how I chose to play, not you.

L

Lord Patapon

Unfortunately, I don't see any classic shard related talk in Cal's interview.

Thing is, most things in this game have been made for Trammel since a long time, in this game. Hey, it's the majority, so I'm ok with that.
But at the smallest, thinnest hint of something being made to bring a little Fell-style action to this game and here you go: it's raining whines from everywhere !
(thanks dev for releasing popps on yet another whining frenezy, btw ... this is really what we needed. Im getting tired of that.)

The guy Cal is just making a pitch, and there we go : OMGZ TRAM IZ GOIN TO BURN DOWN !11!!!1one1

Can't you just guys, like ... wait ?

Yeah, choice of words are infortunate, but still, the man has a point : UO lost it's wild wild west side, and while many of us who plays Fel rulest wanna see that back, we don't necessarily want it forced on Tram players for god's sake, so some of you should stop acting like it's a conspiracy against Tram-ruleset or whatever.
It might be something good !
( no insurance in Fell ? PvP switch ? classic shard ? )

We know the answer already : Siege Perilous and the Asian similar shard.

How populated are they ?

You have received your answer.........
Poor rhetoric, tbh.
You seem to forget about a few things: one character only, RoT, poor ping. Here you go, instead of casting the same false arguments again and again (I don't know why I answer to you though, because you seem to never take into account the posts that goes against yours with good arguments, so Im prolly wasting my time)

So ... we'll wait and see.
Something good might come out of it.
I just hope that if it's good, it won't be barred out by just a few whiney players who don't get the point. (I know, it's easy not getting the point of an option not concerning your game style, but still... that'd be sad, tbh)

E

ElRay

A sales pitch in that to promote sales ?

If that is the case, I wonder how many perspective buyers will now NOT spend their hard earned money on the new expansion...
I can guarantee that everyone of these people complaining, EVERY ONE OF THEM will buy the expansion. EVERY ONE OF THEM.

I am NOT going to spend money on anything that forces me to play in a way that does violence to my free will.
I hear Hello Kitty is pretty non violent, although cats CAN scratch!! That may do violence to your free will *snickers*

So, since I am forbidden to get a clarification before the release, go figure why, I will hold my purchase untill I know better about what is going to happen.

Everyone complaining thus far IMO sounds like panties in a bunch.......Hell, Petra has repeatedly stated you can mark runes so you wont have to continually "run the Feared Gauntlet of Death to Carebears"

Keep on keeping Cal, dont mind the naysayers who only know how to complain! We all know that Trammies are just fodder and phat lewtz anyways!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guy Cal is just making a pitch, and there we go : OMGZ TRAM IZ GOIN TO BURN DOWN !11!!!1one1

Can't you just guys, like ... wait ?

Actually, I am glad of the interview because I do value my money and when I spend it, I want to spend it on something I really want and not on something I may regret of buying because I lacked enough informations at the time of purchase........

Yeah, choice of words are infortunate, but still, the man has a point : UO lost it's wild wild west side, and while many of us who plays Fel rulest wanna see that back, we don't necessarily want it forced on Tram players for god's sake, so some of you should stop acting like it's a conspiracy against Tram-ruleset or whatever.
It might be something good !
( no insurance in Fell ? PvP switch ? classic shard ? )

Well, as a player and a customer on the other side of the fence, it does not make me comfortable to hear an official representative of the game I play and support with my monthly subscriptions and through the purchase of codes and expansions to have the views expressed in the interview about game styles other than PvP.

Poor rhetoric, tbh.
You seem to forget about a few things: one character only, RoT, poor ping. Here you go, instead of casting the same false arguments again and again (I don't know why I answer to you though, because you seem to never take into account the posts that goes against yours with good arguments, so Im prolly wasting my time)

Really ?
That many UO players have such a poor ping that those 2 shards are unplayable to them ?
The one character only can be worked around by multiple accounts which quite a few have and, besides, I hear left and right talks that UO is all about group playing and now 1 slot is a problem ?

So ... we'll wait and see.
Something good might come out of it.
I just hope that if it's good, it won't be barred out by just a few whiney players who don't get the point. (I know, it's easy not getting the point of an option not concerning your game style, but still... that'd be sad, tbh)

Well, it seems to me here that neither side probably is much willing to hear the other's arguments....

Besides, I hear more often the non consensual players be called names and with derogatory terms than the other way around.

Until there comes respect for each other different play styles, it is hard to have any possible comunication.
And, to my humple opinion, calling someohe who choose to play in a different style a "carebear" is not really the best way to start a good discussion on the issue.

D

Der Rock

dont misunderstood me, i realy realy grant all "many of youse" all the fun you seekout in fell
simply remove all scrolls/rewards/dbl.resources from fell,because they are PvM related,
then you all can be happy in fell again.......or not??

do you realy think calvin can throw some new carrots in the game and the majority will jump blind after,for the satisfaction of what? 5% playerbase?
how often they tried this in the past????

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dislike the use of the term carebears almost as much as I do the term Trammie. Nice way to insult paying customers. And they need to understand now, that as a Trammel player, I don't "have to travel" anywhere. I'm not afraid of Felucca as some players like to insinuate, but I can honestly say that when I'm in Felucca, I'm not really enjoying it. So if they remove the main aspect of what I enjoy about the game, there is really no need to continue to play it.

N

Ni-

I'm a Siege player, so this has almost no effect on me.. but it is horrible to see Trammies so scared of being pked that they would quit the game over 600x8 (slots) rather than band together and fight through (assuming that pks decide to camp the new spots). The spirit of old pre-trammel UO was that good citizens banded together in a group to defeat the murderers. It seems a lot have given up on that, they've given up on everything. You may as well find an old Furcadia server.
Background: I started playing in the T2A era, so I know what it was like and learned how to survive. However, 'surviving', despite the occasional rush it could give, isn't what I consider fun and enjoyable. I don't fear death, I fear the annoyance and hassel of the resulting death. I play this game for enjoyment, I don't find annoyances and hassels very enjoyable.

I don't know if I would have gotten more accustom to PvP if Trammel were never created or if I would have been long gone by now. I do know one thing, I've experienced alot more of the game because of Trammel than I ever did prior to its existance. I'll probably continue playing the game as long as my enjoymemt decently outweighs all annoyances and hassels.

E

ElRay

Dude, I'm gonna be polite
Wow good for you.

your on the loosing side of this argument.
Says you? wow im impressed........

I play both sides of the fence on Production, and play Siege on occasion. The simple truth of it is, player could care less about the insurance gold in all honesty at least for the most part. It's the thought of another living breathing person sitting around finding enjoyment in disrupting the leisure activities of others. Not everyone is like the PvPer's on Prodo or the Siege players and really don't care either way about their toons getting killed, if they did then Siege would probably have more players than it does.
UO is first and foremost a game, it's something alot of folks do for fun.
Seriously, I didnt even read this garbaaaj..... blah blah blahity

Having thier leisure disrupted by others in what translates to a violent attack isn't amusing to them. This was one of the lessons about every other MMO took from UO when they were created.
I guess Lineage, Lineage 2 with their FEW MILLION CUSTOMERS and EVE Online chugging along nicely with probably double the players of UO, yah they must have MISSED that memo.

Y

Yalp

Not only did they sidestep how many subscriptions they have, something they'd proudly publish if they were competitive, but no mention of working to fix the rampant cheating in pvp, the easily hacked code for duping, and the prevention/consequences for scripting.

I will await an official announcement and let my greenbacks speak for themselves.

L

Lord Patapon

A

Really ?
That many UO players have such a poor ping that those 2 shards are unplayable to them ?
The one character only can be worked around by multiple accounts which quite a few have and, besides, I hear left and right talks that UO is all about group playing and now 1 slot is a problem ?
Guess what ?
There's actually a world outside America and Asia. And those Siege-type shards (who are not in any way classic, but I don't want to explain that again here, as it was very well explained in the last classic shard thread we had) are a no-go for players from all over Western and Eastern Europe.
Oh, and guess what ? Most of the people I know in game don't have more than 2 accounts.
And even then, the housing rules makes it quite sacrificial to play Siege. (I'd like to play Siege, but can't compete, with the ping I - and many europeans with me - have. That's it.)

As for the choice of words, yeah, it's not the wisest, I gotta agree with you, but I really wonder... was this choice really a mistake ? The hype seems to be working, either way.

And as for each side of the fence hearing about the arguments from the other side, sorry, but from the beginning of this post, I've just seen the "how shocking !" type of post, at a point where even Petra had to say it in big letters: NO, the Tram players won't have to endure tortures and go through the "we'll cut the little fleshy parts on your body".
Frankly, I roamed SA for a few months, and geographically, it ISN'T true that Tram players will have to get killed a dozen times before accessing SA.
But even then, this is the type of complaints we are seeing, even though it doesn't have ANY foundations.
This is UHall way, I guess.

how often they tried this in the past????
And yet, the Tram players had it all. Tram. AoS. Pets. Removal of the factions for years. Insurance killing skilled PvPing. Item-centered game. Wow.
Thanks devs for having that much done for Fell, but now, what about the Tram side players ? They didn't have anything for years !

[/sarcasm]

I don't wanna play that "who got the most between Fell and Tram players", cause I just want Dev to balance things so everyone's happy, but obviously, for some Tram players (SOME, please notice), even the most vaporous comment on Fell-content addition is seen as Apocalypse.
And I really don't understand why.
So ...er ... if someone could explain, I'll be grateful. :D

*returns IG with his Tram and Fell friends while UHall is getting into an intifada mood*

edit :
pointless.....
No, really. Please explain, or else I might begin to think you're just a troll. You ... you're not a troll, are you ? Im afraid of trolls :(

C

Coppelia

I guess Lineage, Lineage 2 with their FEW MILLION CUSTOMERS and EVE Online chugging along nicely with probably double the players of UO, yah they must have MISSED that memo.
Except that Lineage, Lineage 2 and EVE Online have good PvP/PK systems. In UO, red is a team color. UO PK system is a complete failure.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe Mr. Crowner is just trying to lure back pvpr's so the sub numbers will look great for a month or so.

maybe... if not he is just silly to me. He can't read the history of UO?

As for SA, I think it holds great promise if no one from EA messes it up.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't wanna play that "who got the most between Fell and Tram players", cause I just want Dev to balance things so everyone's happy, but obviously, for some Tram players (SOME, please notice), even the most vaporous comment on Fell-content addition is seen as Apocalypse.
And I really don't understand why.
So ...er ... if someone could explain, I'll be grateful. :D (
Ok, I'll do my best since so many of you seem to think it's about the expansion. Well, it isn't

Here's the quote:

Calvin said:
That's something we're going to try to do in two pieces. We're going to have an announcement after this launch about another piece that will turn UO back into the Wild, Wild West that everyone wants.
So what game is it I am buying the expansion for? The game we have now or the new and improved "wild west"? When I know the answer to this and what 'this' is, then I can make a reasonable decision about spending additional money.

There is no rush. The SA content is not gonna fly away between now and then. I'll have years to explore SA if the game doesn't change to my distaste.

No panic. My panties are quite comfortable, thank you. And my money will remain in my pocket until I know what game I am playing.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not only did they sidestep how many subscriptions they have, something they'd proudly publish if they were competitive, but no mention of working to fix the rampant cheating in pvp, the easily hacked code for duping, and the prevention/consequences for scripting.

I will await an official announcement and let my greenbacks speak for themselves.

Over the years I played the game, a great number of the friends and fellow players I shared my in game time with left disgusted by all of the cheating in the game and most of all, that they could see no light at the end of the tunnel which is, anything seriously done to stop it.

Rather than worrying messing the game upside down, personally, I think the NUMBER ONE issue should be to get done with any and all cheating in UO.

Such issue is to may players and customers a VERY important issue and I have a feeling many would come back to the game if all cheating, scripting, duping, hacking was terminated. Of course, saved the possibility to mantain PvP as "consensual" and never as forced upon.....

Yet, I don't seem to find much about such an important aspect of the game for many, in the interview.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, a lot of people have no real clue about the history of this game or they look back upon it through rose colored glasses because it did or does agree with their playstyle.

Do you guys even know where the term 'carebear' came from, who they were,or what they (we) did? I'll bet Calvin doesn't.

And the funny thing is the same kind of disruptive behavior exists even today, the same as in 1998, as our EM on Baja recently experienced. The difference being an EM has the power to eject.

It really wasn't about PvP, or being killed, or being looted. It was about the disruption of play.

I prefer to spend my time playing the way I want. Some days it's fighting and some days it is not. But I certainly don't want you suddenly turning up and deciding today's play session is about PvP when I want to do something else.

It really as simple as that. I get to decide how I chose to play, not you.
That is so true and there are ... several posters on Stratics that claim to come from the first day but consistently post things that say otherwise.

E

ElRay

Except that Lineage, Lineage 2 and EVE Online have good PvP/PK systems. In UO, red is a team color. UO PK system is a complete failure.
UO DID have a good PvP/PK system. They were called perma STAT LOSS for any red who killed more then 5 people. Where did that go? Why do you think there are a plethora of reds today? Because they took THAT OUT. What happened to the Order/Chaos fighting? It was kind of like a pvp switch in Trammel, in that if you joined either group, you knew that you could be pvping any facet, ANYWHERE. Where did that go?

WHERE DID ALL THESE SYSTEMS GO DEVS???? CHECKS AND BALANCES........
aka stat loss curbed red players which curbed the blue trammel players crying, which curbed the devs angst which curbed............etc and etc

Factions has been redone, and I commend the devs for that. More people ARE playing factions then before they redid them.

Kri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's the thought of another living breathing person sitting around finding enjoyment in disrupting the leisure activities of others.
--------------------------------------------------------
Not everyone is like the PvPer's on Prodo or the Siege players and really don't care either way about their toons getting killed, if they did then Siege would probably have more players than it does. UO is first and foremost a game, it's something alot of folks do for fun. Having thier leisure disrupted by others in what translates to a violent attack isn't amusing to them. This was one of the lessons about every other MMO took from UO when they were created.
Well said. I have played since the dark ages ('97) and I can tell you that I was not unhappy when Trammel was released because of people like this:

I remember the good ole day, stalking players to their homes killing them over and over so they could not get in their houses stealing the key and dry looting them LOL.

I remember inviting friends over to play with Texas housing rules, locking a crate down in the door so they could not escape.

I remember disarm stealing vanq and silver weapons(unstoppable).

Mass Mining wow! I miss killing those idiot miners for loads of ingots and ore from the unsuspecting.
I am totally for more risk in the game but I don't think a return to the "wild, wild west" is the answer.

A PVP toggle, PVP systems that span into non-PVP areas (like Chaos/Order) and reasons for folks to go into PVP zones (enhanced resources, loot, special drops, etc.) are all great additions. I doubt a full removal would happen but perhaps raise the cost of insurance to a level that would make it cost prohibitive, limit the number of items that can be insured or perhaps create facets/zones where insurance is not effective. There's plenty of options and I'm sure there are more creative folks than me with some ideas.

R

Rwyan

I think many peeps here are overreacting...

Sadly, SA is the best expansions I've experienced for UO (jumped on with SE). Love the new skills. Love the new race. Love the new areas. Love the new client.

As far as what those 2 pieces that Cal was talking about...

I'd love to see crafters return to what they 'once' were, and become integral to our various communities. Imbuing is a good step in that it gives us players the tools to create some comparable equipment to what is out in the field.

Maybe they have some ideas in regard to make Felucca an appealing place to adventure and play outside of champs and what not. I remember reading hints about some sort of contested territory system but it appears that never panned out. Any sort of pvp needs to be consensual - so the challenging aspect will be create a system that will be utilized by more than just the hardcore pvpers.

Though the other thing we haven't considered is what if they're planning to recreate that early UO experience through PVM encounters. Imagine standing at a bank and an npc thief pockets that nice new sword you found. Or gangs of npcs that roam the overland.

A

Adora

I remember the good ole day, stalking players to their homes killing them over and over so they could not get in their houses stealing the key and dry looting them LOL.

I remember inviting friends over to play with Texas housing rules, locking a crate down in the door so they could not escape.

I remember disarm stealing vanq and silver weapons(unstoppable).

Mass Mining wow! I miss killing those idiot miners for loads of ingots and ore from the unsuspecting.

Ganking tamers heading into the terathian keep, hawgin the spawn what a rush.

Oh there was so much more, those were just highlights.

Damn there was so many loop holes back then it was a con mans delight!!

I remember it all! what a time!! Wonder if those Pre-tram Newbs ever got to play the game at all with all my dirty little tricks;)

A pvp switch I would agree with.
People like you are the reason Trammel was introduced into UO to begin with.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And as for each side of the fence hearing about the arguments from the other side, sorry, but from the beginning of this post, I've just seen the "how shocking !" type of post, at a point where even Petra had to say it in big letters: NO, the Tram players won't have to endure tortures and go through the "we'll cut the little fleshy parts on your body".
Frankly, I roamed SA for a few months, and geographically, it ISN'T true that Tram players will have to get killed a dozen times before accessing SA.
But even then, this is the type of complaints we are seeing, even though it doesn't have ANY foundations.
This is UHall way, I guess.

Well, at least for me, the issue is that, at least from what I understood, there seems to be plans for turning Ultima Online, a game I play and pay for, my style, into a Wild, WILD West but that all of this will only be announced after an expansion which I was planning to pre-order, will be released.

Well, I beg your pardon, but at this point I would like to know MORE, and without any possible misunderstanding, BEFORE I spend any more money on a game which might take a twist I do not like.

Do I have such a right as a paying customer and a perspective buyer or do I need to place my order and spend my money in the darkness only to regret it aftewards ??

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No way will there be a classic server. Thats all we need is another server to further fragment other servers.

Classic server is a pipe dream,never happen.
Quite to the contrary, I disagree.

Consider this optional evolution for UO (Siege perilous EXCLUDED).

There are N number of servers running the various shards.

Each Shard consists of two facets.

A facet being more or less in theory a mirror image of the other.

Now then what would happen if UO created a PvP only shard(s) with one facet, no Trammel Facet No Trammel Rules pure 100% unadulterated PvP. Rule Set anywhere from day 1 to now.

Now to complement that, you shut off the Felluca Facet on every Shard.

Once you do that, then one might assume that UO could pack two shards together on the server that one had been running. Pack together is NOT MERGE. It means that two distinct and seperate shards run on the same asset that had been previously been used to run the 2 facets.

One may conclude there MAY be a reduction in hardware. This would translate into a reduction of operating cost etc....

It is the way it should have been done originally. It can still be done with very little impact.

The new PvP servers are enabled for character transfers and a Moving Crate with every thing that account owns in a house (houses). This deals with the inability to move houses but retains the more pressing problem of preserving the accounts items.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WHERE DID ALL THESE SYSTEMS GO DEVS???? CHECKS AND BALANCES........
aka stat loss curbed red players which curbed the blue trammel players crying, which curbed the devs angst which curbed............etc and etc

Not to mention scripting and unattended macroing which helped clear out counts without much pain for those Reds who did not disdain to use them making the whole system of counts a joke since they became painless to wipe.......

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Popps

I feel I'm wasting my time on you as I have the feeling, you have no idea of what you speak about.

I believe you never left town in old days and you never go to Felucca or Siege but you had heard alot of rumers about how it was and that scared you so much so you never gave it a try.

I'm a woman at 54 years so I was 42 years when I started playing UO. I learned to survive, I learned to make friends, I to get along with most of the reds.

I started as a crafter, trying to mine at the cave nw of Brit. When I got killed to many times I decided to learn to fight and dropped my showel and grabbed an axe and started to cut trees and kill the spawn to get my skills up.
As I learned to make arrows and bows, I found the bow was a better weapon for me as I was on dialup from Denmark with alot od disconnects.

When I started to try to fight back, I got a different response from the PK's. They would still kill me but loot less and take time to give me some advices about how to fight better.

Only a few PK's did kill me more than one time, next time, they would say hi and chat.

Sure I hated dying, but I hade a great time and got so many friends, both red and blue.

The first year of UO was my best time in UO and I wish my game back.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new PvP servers are enabled for character transfers and a Moving Crate with every thing that account owns in a house (houses). This deals with the inability to move houses but retains the more pressing problem of preserving the accounts items.

No way.

If at all a new shard is created it got to be a new start for all. No transfer no nothing, just a brand new start for anyone.

And, it got to be SKILL based and get rid of all this items madness. Crafters sure, as the early UO was, but all of this items madness no way....

Chaos/Order I am fine with as long as within the same groups kills are a no-no and the 2 groups are equally balanced as far as active members and are constantly monitored to give bonuses should one group fall in numbers versus the other.

The key to PvP prosperity is balance, fighters equalized and no items madness, IMHO.

That's how I see it.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is totally awesome. Wait....

There, I fixed it for him.

Soo funny. PvP switch or mandatory factions is my guess. Either way it's going to be a helluva ride to see both sides scramble.

Hey. I wonder what kind of statement EA Mythic could make that would bring back a lot of old players in the hopes of the UO of old? LOLZ....sale$men are teh funny.
It's like that great old line from the Rush song, "The Spirit of Radio":

For the words of the profits are written on the studio wall...<CES> Hall!!

Echoes....with the sounds of Salesmen...of Salesmen!!
LOL..."Make" me endure non-Con PvP? Haha. For Pixels? Even more Haha.

A "Carebear" Gauntlet, oh Lord...that is funny.

Good luck with all that, Cal & Team...us Care Bears that don't care won't be there, I am pretty sure. If that is truly what was meant by that statement.
:danceb:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra, I'm not entirely convinced that the ability to mark runes in Ter Mur will stick around. Took a long time to fix some issues about it. Even now, something nags at me about it because there is no unique/vibrant rune book coloring assigned for those runes. The locations just look blah (unfinished / suspicious?) when you see them in a rune book.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Calvin: said:
But before that, within the Stygian Abyss, there are areas that are Player vs. Player combat that, are, I'll just go ahead and say it, where the "Care Bears" have to travel
Now one of the two of you, technically/literally do NOT know what your talking about. I mean you would NOT play a silly word game with the people would you? I mean your NOT saying what you did and thinking this, "Yes you need to go through PvP areas and IF YOUR LUCKY there will NOT be any PvP players" I mean you would NOT be playing silly word/mind games on them would you?

Yes Petra identified what I was alluding to several post later about the Creativity of the Customers will infinitely exceed his ability to Imagine. THAT IS HARDLY THE POINT OF THIS REACTION BY PLAYERS.

It isn't the being called a Name, it isn't the pathetic attempt to FORCE PEOPLE TO PLAY PvP, it is 100% the MIND SET by a person in charge to do two exceedingly insulting things.

1) Pay attention, he BLATANTLY IDENTIFIES that the term CareBare as he is going to use it is intended as AN INSULT to them. "Well lets just say it" This IDENTIFIES HIS INTENT on how he is using the *cough* Noun.

2) Pay attention, he BLATANTLY IDENTIFIES his BELIEF that the majority of the CUSTOMERS DO NOT KNOW THE GAME THEY REALLY WANT TO PLAY AND HE DOES. Get it straight in your mind here,(this is me being intentionally sensitive with what follows) HE BLATANTLY STATES THAT THEY ARE BENEATH HIM, THAT HE KNOWS BETTER THAN THEM, THAT HE WILL FORCE THEM TO PLAY HIS GAME.

BUT FAR MORE IMPORTANTLY TO ALL UO SUBSCRIBERS IS THIS BLATANT IMPLICATION.

He assumes that no matter what he does that the UO SUBSCRIBER CHECK BOOK WILL ALWAYS BEND OVER AND GIVE THEM THEIR MONEY.

If anyone that plays UO thinks the population is so LARGE that UO is NOT near a line that has extinction written on it, then YOU HAD BETTER LET THIS MAN KNOW YOUR POSITION.

Status
Not open for further replies.