• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Interesting Interview with Devs. Hints of classic server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sweeney

I will help you take that foot out of your mouth. First learn to read.

Secondly I wouldn't mind some more PvP added back in. Simply stating facts. Again...........

PvP'rs are the minority
Secondly if someone that wants nothing to do witth PvP is forced into PvP situations they will likely quit if they can't avoid it.

We have to wait and see what the second piece is, I am simply saying I hope it isn't something that makes the majority of the player base leave.

Read it this time and then respond, may work out better for you.
Quote your source or it's worthless.. besides, any source you quote will not change the fact that hardly any of SA will be PvP.. we must wait for Calvin's announcement as to the new startling addition. Plus one on your post count though.

T

TheGrayGhost

Quote your source or it's worthless.. besides, any source you quote will not change the fact that hardly any of SA will be PvP.. we must wait for Calvin's announcement as to the new startling addition. Plus one on your post count though.
Calvin: That's something we're going to try to do in two pieces. We're going to have an announcement after this launch about another piece that will turn UO back into the Wild, Wild West that everyone wants.

http://gamesblog.ugo.com/games/ultima-online-12-years-down-12-years-to-go

With that said I will take the mods advice.

S

Sweeney

Calvin: That's something we're going to try to do in two pieces. We're going to have an announcement after this launch about another piece that will turn UO back into the Wild, Wild West that everyone wants.

With that said I will take the mods advice.
So, in essence, you're condemning SA before the upcoming announcement, which has nothing to do with SA.. good for you, you have evaded every post I have made about waiting for the announcement before posting.

V

Vyal

Wow this would be the best no more tram i'm sure most kids have no clue what the days of bounty hunting used to be like and strolling from the brit moongate on a complete noob trying to make it to brit only to be smashed and lose all your armor :p Guards killing people at brit bank trying to steal stuff, and the faction battles OMG the faction battles back in the day almost all of brit would be filled with people fighting.

Tram ruined it, then greaters ruined that :(

Naked mage fights with dp'd war forks rofl

O

olduofan

Wow this would be the best no more tram i'm sure most kids have no clue what the days of bounty hunting used to be like and strolling from the brit moongate on a complete noob trying to make it to brit only to be smashed and lose all your armor :p Guards killing people at brit bank trying to steal stuff, and the faction battles OMG the faction battles back in the day almost all of brit would be filled with people fighting.

Tram ruined it, then greaters ruined that :(

Naked mage fights with dp'd war forks rofl
well those days are long gone and i have to say it always had your heart pumping but its a teen rated game now know more bounty hunting and named heads .

saying that I do feel he was way out of line in he statement but I to often have a poor choice of words IRL. I hope that its not pvp in the dungeons all that will happen is the biggest guild/fraction on each shard will get that much more powerful/richer a monopoly again like PS scrolls. I will keep my fingers crossed that the new land will be free of pvp scripters/hacker/cheaters

but by the sounds of it he wants to force the majority of use into hes playing style ....

oh ya by the way greater dragons should have never been put in game and im a tamer ill admit way over powered

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember the good ole day, stalking players to their homes killing them over and over so they could not get in their houses stealing the key and dry looting them LOL.

I remember inviting friends over to play with Texas housing rules, locking a crate down in the door so they could not escape.

I remember disarm stealing vanq and silver weapons(unstoppable).

Mass Mining wow! I miss killing those idiot miners for loads of ingots and ore from the unsuspecting.

Ganking tamers heading into the terathian keep, hawgin the spawn what a rush.

Oh there was so much more, those were just highlights.

Damn there was so many loop holes back then it was a con mans delight!!

I remember it all! what a time!! Wonder if those Pre-tram Newbs ever got to play the game at all with all my dirty little tricks;)

A pvp switch I would agree with.

S

Sweeney

I remember the good ole day, stalking players to their homes killing them over and over so they could not get in their houses stealing the key and dry looting them LOL.

I remember inviting friends over to play with Texas housing rules, locking a crate down in the door so they could not escape.

I remember disarm stealing vanq and silver weapons(unstoppable).

Mass Mining wow! I miss killing those idiot miners for loads of ingots and ore from the unsuspecting.

Ganking tamers heading into the terathian keep, hawgin the spawn what a rush.

Oh there was so much more, those were just highlights.

Damn there was so many loop holes back then it was a con mans delight!!

I remember it all! what a time!! Wonder if those Pre-tram Newbs ever got to play the game at all with all my dirty little tricks;)

A pvp switch I would agree with.
Damn you fools.. this isn't SA!!! Wait for the next "announcement" that Cal mentioned.. quit feeding the rumors. And I thought UO players had some brains.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Suppose we disregard the hype, which isn't aimed at current players anyway, and look at reality.
In theory players must face the challenges of the Abyss to reach Ter Mur, and getting through should take a team.

But when someone does get through, they can mark runes. In less than a day most of us will be able to recall there and only enter the Abyss if we actually want to play that content.

Remember, interviews are just hype, they only tell the bit of 'truth' than is considered to be the 'exciting bits'. One of the new systems in SA that interests me most is staining, it's quite an intricate process, but it's not exciting, so it was no where in the pre-release hype.
On subscriber numbers, it's company policy, they've never released them, and even as high up the tree as Cal is, he still has to follow that policy.

D

Der Rock

The most notable part of the interview to me.
UO was like the Wild West in its early days, everything seemed fairplay and you took your life in your hands when you left town; does that still exist in today's UO?

Good to know Calvin,that is certainly a factor to NOT buy the SA expansion at release date,as long as you not anounce your big secret about the wild wild west UO :(

good luck with your "everyone wants " wild wild west UO

H

Heartseeker

Places where "Care Bears" have to travel.. take that, trammies!
Yeah he certainly did show all the Trammies exactly what they are to him, now didn't he :thumbsup:

Calvin translated:
"Basically, the majority of subscribers of UO are total ... something, that do NOT have a clue what they REALLY want to play so I WILL FORCE THEM TO PLAY IT."

Have your field day ..... *Shakes Head*
*shakes head* at Enigma shaking his head.

Can't wait for a Classic Shard.

Hooyaa!!!!:danceb:

F

Frey Wavestrider

UO was like the Wild West in its early days, everything seemed fairplay and you took your life in your hands when you left town; does that still exist in today's UO?

Good to know Calvin,that is certainly a factor to NOT buy the SA expansion at release date,as long as you not anounce your big secret about the wild wild west UO :(

And my wife says ditto. She does not want to spend the money on SA now and originally she was going to put it on all 8 accounts. You can call it hype but it was the wrong type of hype and does more harm than good. As I pointed out earlier ignoring a majority of your players is not how to sell and expansion. It is even worse to hint that you will try to force a play style on them they do not want. If they did then Felluca would be full and not Trammel.

H

Heartseeker

And my wife says ditto. She does not want to spend the money on SA now and originally she was going to put it on all 8 accounts. You can call it hype but it was the wrong type of hype and does more harm than good. As I pointed out earlier ignoring a majority of your players is not how to sell and expansion. It is even worse to hint that you will try to force a play style on them they do not want. If they did then Felluca would be full and not Trammel.
"Shall I lay down my coat for you Miss, so you cross the puddle?"

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And no, what follows has nothing to do with anything in your quote it is other parts. A classic (ha ha ha depends on the definition now doesn't it) server(s) would be great.

Well ... I will just go ahead and say it, "Calvin is seriously delusional and even more out of touch with his well ... gee lets just go ahead and say it "Care Bear" subscribers".

*Shakes head* Just another .... passing through, to live through.

Lets just get it on the table

What a mind set towards the majority of the subscribers. :)

*shrug* I guess he doesn't know MMORPG history as he is certainly bound to repeat it. He is going to need to learn rule one: "The players are infinitely more creative than he will ever be able to imagine".

There's one thing I will NEVER be able to understand.

And that is, WHY should anyone be wanted to be FORCED to play a game they play for relax and leisure in a way that goes against their will...........

FORCING players to have to walk through PvP areas to go to non consensual PvP areas to play the game in the way they want, or HAVE TO participate to spawns because only there certain items spawn and they happen also to be vital to game play, I find it out of taste and, personally, outrageous.

I will NEVER understand why paying customers should be subject to be FORCED to do something against their will if they want to fully enjoy (saved the PvP which they are not interested in) the game which they are PAYING FOR........

It just goes beyond my ability to comprehend.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bringing back old uo in 2 parts .... hmmm ... i have several ideas how this could be done ...
Part 1:
Expand factions to trammel ruleset. So if actually someone using faction artis in the care bears land, he can be killed by other factions.
Part 2:
Reds all over the world. Allow Reds to enter trammel ruleset but let other players freely attack them if they want. (Including blues becoming grey and beeing also attackable and all this stuff.)
Part 3:
Reactivation of Order/Chaos under trammel and fel ruleset.

S

Sweeney

Hah you fools.. noone bothers to pay attention. Saying SA has a few PvP areas is like saying Trammel can only get Powerscrolls by going to Fellucca.

You're all so scared it's funny and sick at the same time. Tell your children how scared you are, afraid to risk nothing (after all, it is insured) to gain the advantage. Tell your offspring how weak you are, afraid to take a chance.. tell them it's better to be weak than to take the chance to die with conviction.

Teach your children the civil rights movement was worthless right after you let them know it's better to give up than to try. Let them know if there are one or two bad spots in the world, just give up. It's not worth it. Teach them well, you chickens.

The rest of us laugh at you.

S

Sweeney

Maybe you and your wife should learn to read every post. This will NOT AFFECT SA! Damn does it need to be beat into your heads? You'll bash SA before learning about it.. very typical of a certain class of people.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I'd take from it is that they're learning some things from the RvR lakes in WAR, and bringing those lessons back to UO. Not to agree with the spirit of open PvP, but an element of PvP can bring people together. And, it adds an interesting dynamic to gameplay, an unpredictable foe.

I can possibly think of only one way to accomodate non consensual PvP players and that would be in a Realm vs Realm environment that of the role of crafters to supply those who actually fight for the Realm.

BUT, in order for this to work, there should be a whole lot of limitations.

That is, number one those who have fighting characters are barred from being able to also have crafters.

Number two, in order to avoid self sufficiency it should also be barred the possibility of multiple accounts to have the same one player have fighter and crafter spread over different accounts.

In order for this to work, non consensual PvP players (cfraters) must be able to actually play the game (i.e. have a market for crafting).

But if PvPers are somehow allowed to also have crafters and become self sufficient (whether on the same account or via multiple accounts is irrelevant), the non PvPers would have little to do in the game.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It isn't the Care Bears, Heck he could have pulled a fast one and caught a lot of people off guard, "The Townies" "The BlueBees" there are a dozen+ names for both sides.

It is the mentality that We know what the majority of the subscribers want and that is to be FORCED into PvP. That is going to haunt him.

I am clueless here so that's why I am asking those who know better...

One question: generally speaking, is "carebears" used just as a noun to identify a certain group of individuals or does it carry along with it some derogatoriness ?

That is, is it just a name like many others or is it considered an insult ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eve Online has 350,000 subscribers and counting. It has full loot FFA PVP. Even in PvM when you die you can lose everything. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it is fun and done right then people will play it.

Hmmm, I have met players who did not like some of its aspects, though, and quit playing it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That's how UO was to me when I started Dec 1997 and I loved it. You was safe in town, except from the thieves. If you want to travel outside, it was on own risk and you better join up with a few friends to be safe in numbers or be sure you could affort to lose your stuff.

It was a little to hard for the non PvP players and UO was missing a carebear shard to use the word you all hate so much :)

I had hoped for years, that Devs would bring the wild west feeling back to UO but every new expension had made me disappointed. Sure we have Siege but our shard are nerfed in so many ways so only few hardcore Siege players want to play here.

First Trammel was a mirror of Britainnia, big mistake. At that time we did need more land for the non PvP'ers. It should had been open for reds too but been non PvP zone.
The non PvP'ers want hard monsters, quests, gathering places, places for their crafting, places for young chars to train, places for events.
I believe it had been possible include that in new lands, that mainly was PvP zone like original Britainnia.
The problem with old Britainnia was, the non PvP'ers did feel trapped in town.
There was no PvM areals without PvP.
The farstes way to get good loot or gathering items for crafting should still be in PvP zone but there should be places for the non PvP'ers, where they could play, even if they would need 3-4 times the time to get the items they want or have to face much harder spawn than in PvP zone to get it.

But before that, within the Stygian Abyss, there are areas that are Player vs. Player combat that, are, I'll just go ahead and say it, where the "Care Bears" have to travel. As you are going from one place to another, yeah it's all fine. But The Abyss is not a place you travel alone. I think that's what players have been missing a lot.
I hope they will success it, but I fair I once again will be disappointed.

Also I personly hate dungeons with alot hard spawn, I like the overland or dungeons where I can single out a harder monster and not need friends to help me killing it. I like the good old Felucca dungeons but the loot sucks badly so noone want to hunt there.

PvP and hard spawn do not really mix well as PK's will attack players when they are close to die to the spawn and there is not place to RP with hard spawn around.

I do wish badly, that UO will be filled with players again and we will get the wild west feeling back.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Forcing people to go through PVP areas to get to the new expansion areas is a way to kill SA as alot of players would wonder why they should buy it.

Actually, I think this IS a very important point.

Players, no, CUSTOMERS, are entitled to know BEFORE BUYING what they are going to buy will be like.

"IF" Stygian Abyss will have FORCED PvP areas to have to walk in back and forth to access non consensual PvP areas the expansion HAS TO clearly say it.

Players must KNOW what they are buying BEFORE THEY BUY IT, without anything, especially this important, be not clear to them.

S

Sweeney

Actually, I think this IS a very important point.

Players, no, CUSTOMERS, are entitled to know BEFORE BUYING what they are going to buy will be like.

"IF" Stygian Abyss will have FORCED PvP areas to have to walk in back and forth to access non consensual PvP areas the expansion HAS TO clearly say it.

Players must KNOW what they are buying BEFORE THEY BUY IT, without anything, especially this important, be not clear to them.
Furcadia is calling you.

C

Coppelia

Flying characters, lands without PvP and PvP only in "the Abyss"... that reminds me something...
Aaaaahaaaahaaaa-i-oooooon! :D

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Damn you're all chickens.. at worst you will have to run through a pvp area and end up paying insurance on your items if you're killed. at best you'll run through with no worries (or sneak through).

You'd quit over 600 gold per item? Bok bok bok bok bok bok bok.

Hallo ?

I can only imagine the scenario. PvPers waiting in the area in packs and ready to prey on other players passing by not having a chance to meet their gear and outfit so that they can be the tool of their fun........... No Thanks.

I do not know others but personally, I am sorry, but I am NOT willing to spend my money to be a tool for the fun of others.

If that is what a chunk of the players base is considered, cannon fodder to have others have fun with them, well, then the cannon fodder prefers to move elsewhere.....

PvPers can pay the bills of the game, all of them, without having their preys contributing in paying them also....

Question is, if the number of players remaining will be enough to pay for the bills.........

D

Der Rock

Hah you fools.. noone bothers to pay attention. Saying SA has a few PvP areas is like saying Trammel can only get Powerscrolls by going to Fellucca.

You're all so scared it's funny and sick at the same time. Tell your children how scared you are, afraid to risk nothing (after all, it is insured) to gain the advantage. Tell your offspring how weak you are, afraid to take a chance.. tell them it's better to be weak than to take the chance to die with conviction.

Teach your children the civil rights movement was worthless right after you let them know it's better to give up than to try. Let them know if there are one or two bad spots in the world, just give up. It's not worth it. Teach them well, you chickens.

The rest of us laugh at you.

it has nothing to do with scared or weakness or else,

it is more like popps sayd:"WHY should anyone be wanted to be FORCED to play a game they play for relax and leisure in a way that goes against their will..........."

with a PvP switch i would say yes to PvP area everywhere, but otherwise NO
if 95% of the playerbase dont like it then in NO way they should change things for a minority of 5 %

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah he certainly did show all the Trammies exactly what they are to him, now didn't he :thumbsup:

Calvin translated:
"Basically, the majority of subscribers of UO are total ... something, that do NOT have a clue what they REALLY want to play so I WILL FORCE THEM TO PLAY IT."

Have your field day ..... *Shakes Head*
We need more Devs like this Cal bloke, I like the way he thinks.

For FAR to long have the old Britannians (those of us who played and enjoyed the game prior to Fel/Tram) been shafted in favor of the (as he so accurately puts it) "care bares."

In 2001 we were all forced into Ren, against the wishes of many, MANY players (most of whom have since left and now play on free shards that let them play the way they want to). UO has never, ever, been the same since. It hurt the game, it hurt and devided the community.

Luckily, this is UO we are talking about, and it remains the best MMO there is despite all the the changes it has endured. Most other games would of folded long ago with such drastic changes.

The amount of players out there that would come back to UO if it was to go back towards its golden era (t2a), would stagger the modern Trammie I reckon. With Ren (and to a lesser extent AoS) the playerbase was changed. Many, many, MANY, older players left and made way for a different type of UO player.

What you all must remember is, if it werent for those early years ('97-'00), there would be no UO. The success that UO was in those days paved the way for the game to be what it is today; the longest running MMO in history. It wasn't post-Ren that UO was the most populated MMO of it's time, it was prior to, and during the Second Age.

Going back to that era and putting parts of it back into modern UO can only be a good thing for the game.
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBritannia_%28Ultima_Online%29&ei=8KyLSsiSOM2IkAXD9rgq&usg=AFQjCNG4yVyOxTmsNCbl_pdF45YSTttQrA&sig2=SJxgYYNbdsxnQh4x2jrx2g

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll say this again, and more clearly, since no one seems to have read it before:

You can mark runes in Ter Mur.

No one is going to *have* to go through the abyss if they don't want to. Enough people will do it who will also mark runes.

Can we now stop running round like headless chickens panicking over a misunderstood bit of press hype?

I don't pvp, but I have every intention of upgrading to SA. There are many things I want to do in it that do not relate to pvp.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a Siege player, so this has almost no effect on me..

I need to dissent.

Any change that can significantly effect the number of subscriptions has an effect on everyone.

If there is no subscriptions enough because a number of players quit playing the game over changes like this, the remaining number of players, regardless on which Shard they may play, Siege included, may not be sufficient to keep the whole game from running or receiving new content.......

C

Coppelia

And maybe the "Wild, Wild West" we're going to get after SA will be... Pirates! :danceb:

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mmmmm.... bacon.

And pirates!

Back on topic.
Re: everyone who uses FORCE in their comments
Nobody is FORCING (I love the way FORCE is capitalized in many posts) you to play in any way. There is so much content in the Abyss that you should have no trouble at all in finding a place which suits your style. You are only forced to do something if you have the personality type that requires you to do everything in game. And if you were that type of player, you would already be PvPing and the short (I assume) walk through a PvP area wouldn't hurt you too badly.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone needs to take a deep breath and realize the garbage that spews from Cal as what it is. A sales pitch.

A sales pitch in that to promote sales ?

If that is the case, I wonder how many perspective buyers will now NOT spend their hard earned money on the new expansion...

Personally, I was thinking to buy it pre-order but after this I will refrain and wait for this announcement.

I am NOT going to spend money on anything that forces me to play in a way that does violence to my free will.

Neither I want to spend my money and find out later, because the announcement was made only after the release of the expansion, that I spent my money wrongly.

So, since I am forbidden to get a clarification before the release, go figure why, I will hold my purchase untill I know better about what is going to happen.

H

Heartseeker

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and realize the garbage that spews from Cal as what it is. A sales pitch.

If that is the case, I wonder how many perspective buyers will now NOT spend their hard earned money on the new expansion...

Personally, I was thinking to buy it pre-order but after this I will refrain and wait for this announcement.

I am NOT going to spend money on anything that forces me to play in a way that does violence to my free will.

Neither I want to spend my money and find out later, because the announcement was made only after the release of the expansion, that I spent my money wrongly.

So, since I am forbidden to get a clarification before the release, go figure why, I will hold my purchase untill I know better about what is going to happen.
Then please don't spend your money; and leave.:next:

D

Der Rock

I'll say this again, and more clearly, since no one seems to have read it before:

You can mark runes in Ter Mur.

No one is going to *have* to go through the abyss if they don't want to. Enough people will do it who will also mark runes.

Can we now stop running round like headless chickens panicking over a misunderstood bit of press hype?

I don't pvp, but I have every intention of upgrading to SA. There are many things I want to do in it that do not relate to pvp.
petra, you know how things can happen in UO,remember short after ML release they tweaked and "balanced" ML to death.
i fear after calvins statement, that again short after they sold the new SA package they will come with those "wonderfull" wild wild west changes and voila we have a worthless expansion again :sad3: (for most of us)

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like a classic shard or a tweak of factions. Don't get your knickers in a twist just yet.

D

Der Rock

Then please don't spend your money; and leave.:next:
do we realy need any more free housing spots?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Point is, if we only had PvP'rs left in the game the servers would shut down. While I enjoyed Pre-Trammel a great deal all I am doing is stating some simple facts. Fact 1) Force someone in a PvP situation when they do not want to PvP and they either avoid it or if thats not possible they leave. Fact 2) PvP'rs in UO are the minority in UO now days.

After DFO dropped to below 10k subs (Likely well below that now) I lost the will to push for FFA PvP anymore.

Also it's not the SA PvP areas that sparked all this, I believe its the "Two-Piece" comment. Seems SA PvP areas are just the first piece, the second won't be revealed until after you buy the expansion lol. Kind of makes people nervous.

The way I see it, PvP is something that a player need to get into a little at a time.

"Shock-therapies" like forcing players into it because they have no other choice are, to my opinion, the perfect receipe to have these player quit and never look back.

The problem with PvP, seen from the other side of the fence, is that it hardly is ever fair.

Be it for ganking, or for hacks, or for uber gear and godly templates having the upper hand in fights, usually PvP is not even.

This is what other players dislike, the fact that they have a feeling that no matter what, the fights they will face in PvP will ALWAYS have them on the receving hand because of many issues.

Perhaps they do not want to be the gankers, perhaps they do not want to hack to win, perhaps they do not have the time or money to get godly templates or whatever else, the bottom line is, that they get not interested in PvP because there is nothing in the game that makes it an even fight.

Rather than forcing paying customers into the PvP arena by force, make design changes, serious and good ones that truly make the fights even, make ganking never possible, make hacks not possible to happen, balance out the playing styles and the outfitting and make gear and weaponry more readily available to ALL players and THEN, it might be possible to see more PvPers.

The key to PvP succes is EVEN fights where nothing else but the players real skills matter.

Not wealth, not items, not hacks, not sheer numbers. Only human skills.

At least, that is my opnion seen from the other side of the fence.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm with Poo in thinking what we'll see is a return of the Order/Chaos system as a replacement to factions, but maybe with a twist. Perhaps PvP if you are in Order/Chaos will only be possible in Fel and all of or part of the Abyss. Maybe we'll even see the strongholds for both sides end up in the Abyss.

If that's the case, there could be PvP all around you in the Abyss....however, if you aren't a member of either side, you'll be safe from other players (other than your ever-loving alliance mates).

Now would something like that be bad? I don't think so. However, I'm sure some people would forget about the "ignore" option and complain about a situation like that as vehemently as they'd complain about Order/Chaos PvP surrounding them at a Trammel bank.

I guess we'll find out.

Well, A Chaos/Order division of the player base is something that sounds a little less horrible (though could still be disliked by many...).

BUT, it gotta be done right.

Which means, that first among the same field players will be barred from attacking each other.

As of now, blues CAN attack blues and reds CAN attack reds.

This makes it for an uncertainty as red have also blues so if one is a blue and sees a blue in felucca that can be a threat just like it was a red....

Though, if the interview mentions bringing Ultima Online into the Wild West I doubt that the goal is a controlled invironment but more a chaotic one where everyone can attack everyone else without limitations. Not good if you ask me..........

The other necessary thing to keep under control is that the number of ACTIVE Chaos and Order members should always be the same but a 10% marginal difference.

Somehow, should either side number of active players diminish, for example for players stopping playing, the other side number should diminish as well, perhaps forcedly moving at random a number of them from the side with more players to the side with less players to again equalize their numbers.

Balance is the key, balance at ALL times.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way I see it, PvP is something that a player need to get into a little at a time.

"Shock-therapies" like forcing players into it because they have no other choice are, to my opinion, the perfect receipe to have these player quit and never look back.

The problem with PvP, seen from the other side of the fence, is that it hardly is ever fair.

Be it for ganking, or for hacks, or for uber gear and godly templates having the upper hand in fights, usually PvP is not even.

This is what other players dislike, the fact that they have a feeling that no matter what, the fights they will face in PvP will ALWAYS have them on the receving hand because of many issues.

Perhaps they do not want to be the gankers, perhaps they do not want to hack to win, perhaps they do not have the time or money to get godly templates or whatever else, the bottom line is, that they get not interested in PvP because there is nothing in the game that makes it an even fight.

Rather than forcing paying customers into the PvP arena by force, make design changes, serious and good ones that truly make the fights even, make ganking never possible, make hacks not possible to happen, balance out the playing styles and the outfitting and make gear and weaponry more readily available to ALL players and THEN, it might be possible to see more PvPers.

The key to PvP succes is EVEN fights where nothing else but the players real skills matter.

Not wealth, not items, not hacks, not sheer numbers. Only human skills.

At least, that is my opnion seen from the other side of the fence.
...you have been upset about this stuff as far back as the way way back machine will take us or let us view. There is no chance for you to come visit the the never never was, no chance mister.

btw...how do you see what is on the other side of the fence? its in the never never was...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Same exact thinking here.

I was going to pre-order but not a chance now.

I will wait first to know more of what is going to happen about this Wild, WILD west that Ultima Online is supposed to become.

Besides, I ALWAYS hated the wild west (the real one).

One too many unfairness and illegalities happened back then. If there is something which I hate with all of myself, is the law of the jungle.

A civil society needs laws and rules to also protect the weak, not everything goes.......

That is at least my opinion.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe you and your wife should learn to read every post. This will NOT AFFECT SA! Damn does it need to be beat into your heads? You'll bash SA before learning about it.. very typical of a certain class of people.

Well, I DID ask for a public and official clarification to avoid any and all misunderstanding BEFORE actual purchase of Stygian Abyss from perspective buyers, but my post was censored......

So, my intent WAS to get clear, official informations to avoid any possible misunderstanding on the issue but it was turned down.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's how UO was to me when I started Dec 1997 and I loved it. You was safe in town, except from the thieves. If you want to travel outside, it was on own risk and you better join up with a few friends to be safe in numbers or be sure you could affort to lose your stuff.

Oh but it was also an ENTIRE different game than now where SKILLS was what mattered most, NOT items.

Meaning, that losses were much less painfull than what they could be nowdays in such a heavily item based game.

Besides, back then everyone was moreless at the same level and reds where a minority.

Now, most PvPers are uber fitted and almost an impossible match.

For anyone trying to entry PvP would hardly mean fair fighting but being slaughtered over and over and over.

Furthermore, once the ganking started to show up and players trapped in houses and killed for the fun of others, the game started to LOOSE subscriptions.

That is my opinion of why Trammel was created, to try contain the loss of subscriptions due to ganks, people trapped in houses and killed at ease and all that.

Let's not forget also, that back then Ultima Online hardly had any competition from other multiplayer online games.

Today, the scenario is entirely different.

What was back then cannot come back, IMHO, because today the market is totally different and players have alternatives, and a whole lot.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you forget Imbuing?

Hallo ?

It has been said multiple times by those who have tested it that it wll be extremely expensive.

Besides, the resources need to be gathered and we know how miners and wood choppers are the favourite targets of pkillers.

If Ultima Online turns into the Wild, WILD West hardly those not willing to engage into PvP will be able to get the resources or the wealth needed for imbuing.

It will be ALL in the hands of the PvPers just like the Powerscrolls spawns have been now for YEARS.

Doom, Peerless, big Monsters hunts which net the most will ALL be camped by pkillers to wait their targets and kill them.

No thanks, I do not know others, but I am NOT willing to spend my hard earned money to become a tool for someone else to have fun with.

Not a chance.

I have my real life already stressing me out and enough. I need a free time game to RELAX and have easy fun, NOT to get more stressed out.....

A game is supposed to recharge me to face the challenges of my real life which has already enough that I have to face, I do NOT NEED a game to stress me out and take a toll on my real life.

I do NOT want to mess up on my job or in my life because something messed me up in a game I played, no way.

I do not know others, but my real life comes first, waaaaaaaaaaaay before any game.

Especially because I have responsibilities in my real life and if I mess up, others can suffer from it.

So, I need freetime entertainment that recharges me, not that stresses me out.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has been said multiple times by those who have tested it that it wll be extremely expensive.

Besides, the resources need to be gathered and we know how miners and wood choppers are the favourite targets of pkillers.

If Ultima Online turns into the Wild, WILD West hardly those not willing to engage into PvP will be able to get the resources or the wealth needed for imbuing.

It will be ALL in the hands of the PvPers just like the Powerscrolls spawns have been now for YEARS.

Doom, Peerless, big Monsters hunts which net the most will ALL be camped by pkillers to wait their targets and kill them.

No thanks, I do not know others, but I am NOT willing to spend my hard earned money to become a tool for someone else to have fun with.

Not a chance.

I have my real life already stressing me out and enough. I need a free time game to RELAX and have easy fun, NOT to get more stressed out.....

A game is supposed to recharge me to face the challenges of my real life which has already enough that I have to face, I do NOT NEED a game to stress me out and take a toll on my real life.

I do NOT want to mess up on my job or in my life because something messed me up in a game I played, no way.

I do not know others, but my real life comes first, waaaaaaaaaaaay before any game.

Especially because I have responsibilities in my real life and if I mess up, others can suffer from it.

So, I need freetime entertainment that recharges me, not that stresses me out.
May I ask what you do sir with your game time?

Banksit?

in Luna?

D

Der Rock

Same exact thinking here.

Besides, I ALWAYS hated the wild west (the real one).
particular,in the early days of the so called "wild wild west" natives got slaughter by the intruder.
natives was the majority and after the "wilderness" was "repacifyd" they where the minority
most of them was huntsmen(PvM) and gatherer (Resource Crafter)
anyone see a analogy here? :)

C

Coppelia

Well, I DID ask for a public and official clarification to avoid any and all misunderstanding BEFORE actual purchase of Stygian Abyss from perspective buyers, but my post was censored......

So, my intent WAS to get clear, official informations to avoid any possible misunderstanding on the issue but it was turned down.
Devs can read this thread. They have the googles.

Status
Not open for further replies.