• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

idocs

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fill in the blank:

_____________ were changed in an unwanted manner. Players didn't like the change, it made playing UO unappealing instead of fun. The Devs said the changes to ____________ were going to stay. The players continued to voice displeasure over the changes. The Devs rethink their stance due to player outcry and are going to revert the changes to ___________.

a) Sheep
b) Runebooks
c) IDOCs

:)
d) Trammel ?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
That's right, in spite of what anyone says, lol. Sheep got returned, runebooks are on the way.
IDOCs need to maintain a strong level of unrest and, for lack of a better term, pancakes. Then maybe they will get reverted as well.

I'm tired, Oreo, I don't know what you are on about. We are talking about changes to OUR game that we dont want. Doesnt matter if its housing, spellbooks, they gave us too many fingers on the right hand, or whatever.

Unwanted change is unwanted change, regardless of the system it involves. I have no idea what you want me to say...so I'll be done here now.
That's right, in spite of what anyone says, lol. Sheep got returned, runebooks are on the way.
IDOCs need to maintain a strong level of unrest and, for lack of a better term, pancakes. Then maybe they will get reverted as well.

I'm tired, Oreo, I don't know what you are on about. We are talking about changes to OUR game that we dont want. Doesnt matter if its housing, spellbooks, they gave us too many fingers on the right hand, or whatever.

Unwanted change is unwanted change, regardless of the system it involves. I have no idea what you want me to say...so I'll be done here now.
Let me help you out.

You think, from your first response to me, that a minor graphic change is a justification to expect Idocs to change.

This isn't a rational line of thinking.

It doesn't matter if they changed it whether we wanted it that way or not.

I mean I hope I'm proven wrong and it reverts, but Im not going to hold my breath.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fill in the blank:

_____________ were changed in an unwanted manner. Players didn't like the change, it made playing UO unappealing instead of fun. The Devs said the changes to ____________ were going to stay. The players continued to voice displeasure over the changes. The Devs rethink their stance due to player outcry and are going to revert the changes to ___________.

a) Sheep
b) Runebooks
c) IDOCs

:)
Randomization of resources (wood/ore)
Age of Shadows

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL Trammel Killed Fel but saved UO :)
Rubbish. Numbers spiked after the release of Trammel (when everyone was taken by the novelty) then soon after started to wane, slowly declining to what we have today when people released what a sanitised non UO world they were now playing in.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Rubbish. Numbers spiked after the release of Trammel (when everyone was taken by the novelty) then soon after started to wane, slowly declining to what we have today when people released what a sanitised non UO world they were now playing in.
Numbers were depleting prior to Trammel due to rampant PKs. From Tram to Age of Shadows UO grew larger than it had ever been and shortly after AoS started the slow decline.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps when the devs get done reverting runebooks and declining to do anything about reverting IDOCs, before moving on to fixing the next not broken item they could find time to fix the issue of ghost mobs in the EC at spawns??

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Once again another comment you cannot back up with facts

Dispirio Malas :troll::troll:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Numbers were depleting prior to Trammel due to rampant PKs. From Tram to Age of Shadows UO grew larger than it had ever been and shortly after AoS started the slow decline.
Indeed and it wasn't due to anything other than the fact that there were growing numbers of other games on the market serving up new enticing experiences in newer more modern graphics ..... most of them are nothing more than pretty pictures that move sheep by the nose ring firmly attached to them and push them from one series of quests to the next... they lack imagination... community spirit and innovation... as well as uniqueness. UO is still one of the only games that is "open" and allows freedoms. But sadly many people can't seem to look past the outdated engines and graphics... and wouldn't know what to do in the game without someone holding their hand and guiding them from one place to the next. Face it most people are sheep or lemmings. If you led them over a cliff they would follow... even if you had wings and they didn't.

UO is still one of the only games that has good housing. Some offer you a "house" but you are the only one that can ever go there. I fail to see the reason to deco something if no one is ever going to see it. Others offer homes but are VERY limited on it's design. You are forced into cookie cutter homes... much like living in one of those communities where everyone has the exact same house... boring. Others only allow guild building.... which leaves most folk at the whim of the guild leader. Same with characters... many games follow a set path.. you wear what is designated for your race at your level... you can easily tell everything about the person from a glance, there is little individuality.

And most games everything you own is "safe" and kept for you when you return... My guess is a lot of the other game developers lost big time in early UO and opted to never have anyone suffer loss again.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once again another comment you cannot back up with facts
Take a look at the curve on graphs that show UO population numbers. Spike after trammel followed by a steady decrease. Theyve been posted here on Stratics before but Ive got better things to do than look for them or prove myself to the likes of you.

Even if we assume that this decline would have still happened without trammel, it doesn't change the fact that trammel killed UO. This sanitised playpen isn't what UO was meant to be. Did you even play pre-trammel? UO isnt 'saved' its a game thats slowly and painfully dying, a far cry from its heyday.

The UO producer who was responsible for introducing Trammel (Gordon Walton) has admitted that in hindsight they got it wrong with trammel, and they should have kept the existing shards rulesets and created new PvE shards.

And for the umpteenth time quit with the stupid, childish emotes. Your not a 12 year old schoolgirl.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I seem to remember the numbers being in free fall prior to tram and tram being created to stop the great exodus. The fact that numbers spiked after the release of tram would indicate they got that one right. The decline in numbers I believe has more to do with some real bonehead moves and a lack of continuity in content from different Dev teams that went in different directions, leaving a bunch never completed content.

Now again following your logic Old Pre Tram UO was just bomb diggity and everyone loved it. If that were the case Fel would be thriving and full of people, running around killing each other 24/7. After all fel was not removed, heck things were added to try and get people to enter fel, like PS, SC, double resources and Fel remained largely unvisited and unpopulated. Seems to me the only reason Fel exist is that if you want to place a decent size house on a high pop shard it is easy enough to find one on even atl. The second purpose would be to provide entertainment watching the grade school level trash talk from the same dozen people day after day in GC.

So yep Tram killed Fel totally PWND Fel infact. And yes Tram saved UO because had Tram not came into existence UO was dead in the water and would not have lasted a fraction of the time that it has. Let us consider if rather than creating Tram, that they had taken the PvE shard route, the results would have been the same. In fact I believe things would be better now because the vast majority of people would have flocked to the PvE shards leaving the Non Con PvP shards in the dust.

As it is I spend a very large part of my time in Fel because there IS NO ONE THERE except in a few PvP hot spots where you on a busy day will find 6-12 people in despise or at the yew gate. The last time I died to a PvP on prodo was back in 2001 or 2002. Last time I saw a PvP in Fel outside of the usual trash talk locations....... has been 10+ years ago. LOL I really have nothing against PvP and if that and talking about what you do with each others mothers is what trips your triggers that is great. But you must never forget, in a very real sense you guys are the ones that created tram :)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now again following your logic Old Pre Tram UO was just bomb diggity and everyone loved it.
Nowhere did I say or imply this and if youve deduced by any sort of logic that this was the case then you are simply incorrect.

Pre Trammel UO had problems aplenty. However the solution (Trammel) didnt fix anything or save UO. It changed it irrevocably and paved the way for a whole host of changes since then which have transformed UO from the game it was built to be, to the watered down kids playpen that it is today.

Im not arguing that things had to change to give UO longevity. However the change that they introduced (Trammel) wasnt the way to do it, as the producer who introduced it has later in hindsight admitted. There were other, better solutions that would have given UO longevity without this half assed segmentation of the population.

UO is actually dead. Its just being kept alive on life support to cater to a bunch of pixel addicts who EA are happy to take cash off to divert to other projects.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
""UO is actually dead. Its just being kept alive on life support to cater to a bunch of pixel addicts who EA are happy to take cash off to divert to other projects.""

And yet here you are with the rest of us giving cash to EA for your pixel crack ;)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
""And yet here you are with the rest of us giving cash to EA for your pixel crack [BCOLOR=rgb(204, 205, 205)];)[/BCOLOR]
You really are the king of the wrongful assumptions arent you. Yet again a nonsense statement which is completely incorrect.

EA no longer get a penny of my cash and hasnt done for a good while. Il'll stay here and keep an eye on events until a time as things change (UO takes a turn for the better) but until then my wallet stays shut.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You really are the king of the wrongful assumptions arent you. Yet again a nonsense statement which is completely incorrect.

EA no longer get a penny of my cash and hasnt done for a good while. Il'll stay here and keep an eye on events until a time as things change (UO takes a turn for the better) but until then my wallet stays shut.
Do you even read the dribble you write before hitting post? You have more contradictions than many religious documents :) So you don't even play but somehow feel qualified to comment on the state of the game :) NOW THAT IS NONSENSE AND RUBBISH ;)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you even read the dribble you write before hitting post? You have more contradictions than many religious documents :) So you don't even play but somehow feel qualified to comment on the state of the game :) NOW THAT IS NONSENSE AND RUBBISH ;)
Ah. Sorry ... I hadnt realised that an active UO subscription was required to comment on these forums. Oh Thats right ... its not.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah. Sorry ... I hadnt realised that an active UO subscription was required to comment on these forums. Oh Thats right ... its not.
Didn't say it was, just pointing out you talk a lot about something you have no active knowledge of or hands on experience with. Your common theme seems to be UO is dead, dying, not relevant etc. So you obviously strongly dislike UO, so why do you hang out on a UO forum?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't say it was, just pointing out you talk a lot about something you have no active knowledge of or hands on experience with. Your common theme seems to be UO is dead, dying, not relevant etc. So you obviously strongly dislike UO, so why do you hang out on a UO forum?
Im pretty sure I have many many more years of experience and more hours logged in UO than you do.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im pretty sure I have many many more years of experience and more hours logged in UO than you do.
It is possible that you have an account that is 1 week older than my main, not likely though given your quitting for years at a time . And I do only have around 11,230 hours in game over the years. That is just based on what I have averaged playing per week since September 30th 1997 at 10pm CST pretty easy to remember the day and time since my kids got UO for me on my 30th birthday and I finally got rid of everyone pestering me that night and could load it and log in.