• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Idoc Auction Idea (Forgive me if this has been brought up already)

Would you be in favor of IDOCS being used as a gold sink (small homes bid and large homes auctioned)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok with everyones concern over scripting and whatever else people use to gain an unfair advantage over Idocs and the need for a gold sink how about this :

Every Idoc once fully decayed would become owned by OSI and during the OSI decay which should be a set 7 days during which small homes there should be a opportunity to place a bid (you know something like buying storage units dont really know whats inside till after you buy it )and you would have so many days to remove the items then the house would decay... now for the larger homes and collections of rares there could be an auction on the items within and then the home itself ..

There could be a post on these forums and once a home reaches OSI stage they could post location so everyone could get the chance to take part and would also eliminate unfair advantages of some folks also the gold sink side could be just what is needed to dump a lot of gold out of the game

And yes this could be done in every facet including Fel just make the area of the home a no combat zone using them annoying Dryads as peacemakers :whip:

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a few thoughts on this idea:

1. No combat zone at Fel idocs? LOL. Not gonna happen. (and a bad idea imho)
2. People actually go out and find idocs and sit them as a playstyle/fun aspect of the game...gonna kind of ruin this for them.
3. Gonna price the not so wealthy out of the idocs part of the game.
4. Not everyone that plays uo reads stratics so announcing anything on stratics will not reach a lot of the uo players.

Overall, I could not support the changes proposed.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a few thoughts on this idea:

1. No combat zone at Fel idocs? LOL. Not gonna happen. (and a bad idea imho)
2. People actually go out and find idocs and sit them as a playstyle/fun aspect of the game...gonna kind of ruin this for them.
3. Gonna price the not so wealthy out of the idocs part of the game.
4. Not everyone that plays uo reads stratics so announcing anything on stratics will not reach a lot of the uo players.

Overall, I could not support the changes proposed.
No combat yes because the Idocs would not be up for grabs to who has the fastest script
People use scripts to loot the items as well as place the homes
It only gives the honest guy a chance as well ..Sure at first the people with the big pockets will spend but that gold is being taken out of the game
They could announce it in game or post it in game somewhere sorta like the old bounty bulletins

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fel idocs are one of the main reasons I still play 20v20v20 etc etc only happen at fel idocs..keep the easy button to tram things please

I would also like ingots/wood/hides be at auction instead of farmed to ya kno stop the scripting behind it..

Oh and gold..yea and skills ok u get it

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No combat yes because the Idocs would not be up for grabs to who has the fastest script
People use scripts to loot the items as well as place the homes
It only gives the honest guy a chance as well ..Sure at first the people with the big pockets will spend but that gold is being taken out of the game
They could announce it in game or post it in game somewhere sorta like the old bounty bulletins
A lot of the fun at fel idocs though IS the combat.

Might as well make a post with the idea of auctioning off Champ Spawns with fees to keep raiders out.

Honest guy a chance? not if he is honest but poor. Honesty has 0 to do with it. Wealth does.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fel idocs are one of the main reasons I still play 20v20v20 etc etc only happen at fel idocs..keep the easy button to tram things please

I would also like ingots/wood/hides be at auction instead of farmed to ya kno stop the scripting behind it..

Oh and gold..yea and skills ok u get it
I think if people only came out to pvp for Idocs they didnt really want to pvp in the first place ... This could easily be setup on your shard server forums to get people together for such battles just for the sport I would think if one is just in it for the pvp

I see what your saying but Rome was not built in a day ... Fix things 1 at a time dont say everything should stay broke because there are multiple things broken

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of the fun at fel idocs though IS the combat.

Might as well make a post with the idea of auctioning off Champ Spawns with fees to keep raiders out.

Honest guy a chance? not if he is honest but poor. Honesty has 0 to do with it. Wealth does.
Instead of saying lets leave this feast for the bad guy because of PVP why not come up with an idea to get more PVP ...Lets face it 90% of the loot goes to scripters hence why there is the 5% that is super rich and the rest of people cant even afford a lil piece of UO history

There is a huge difference with the spawns that was actually a way to draw people in for pvp ... Its just a guess but I would wager Idocs werent intended for the same scripters to always get the loot

Someone is not goin to bid a billion on the unknown contents of a 7x7 .....

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No no no... Dont change Idocs... Idocs are the chance for everybody to get a piece of the cake. Its a bit simple, but can be true: With some luck, a nobody can become a billionaire, a returner make a fresh start. Change it to auctions and the notorious rich people will get the whole cake...

I am no scripter, I dont do PVP but I got some quite nice pieces of the cake... Everybody can do Idocs, its fun, surprising, democratic - even if you can´t stop the scripters...

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No no no... Dont change Idocs... Idocs are the chance for everybody to get a piece of the cake. Its a bit simple, but can be true: With some luck, a nobody can become a billionaire, a returner make a fresh start. Change it to auctions and the notorious rich people will get the whole cake...

I am no scripter, I dont do PVP but I got some quite nice pieces of the cake... Everybody can do Idocs, its fun, surprising, democratic - even if you can´t stop the scripters...
I respect your opinion and also thank-you for your non prick way of expressing ;)

Something needs to be done if not this idea then another ... The amount of scripting at IDOCS cannnot continue to be ignored

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I havent been on these boards in forever and perhaps I am remembering it wrong but back in the day one could express an opinion or share an idea and people would agree or disagree without being verbally abusive ...
One can state his or her own opinion without being so rude ....
This game used to be able to boast about the community not only in game but on its forums is that just a thing of the past ?

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead of saying lets leave this feast for the bad guy because of PVP why not come up with an idea to get more PVP ...Lets face it 90% of the loot goes to scripters hence why there is the 5% that is super rich and the rest of people cant even afford a lil piece of UO history
Not about the bad guy either...fel is fel....trying to make fel "not fel" is not a good idea. I am not sure that the "5% that is super rich" are rich because of idocs. I do know that a lot of my friends that idoc are no where near rich, and they would have one of the aspects of this game that they truly enjoy, taken away from them if this idea were implemented.

There is a huge difference with the spawns that was actually a way to draw people in for pvp ... Its just a guess but I would wager Idocs werent intended for the same scripters to always get the loot
I may be mistaken as well, but I would wager that Idocs were not intended as gold sinks either. its not about if idocs were intended for pvpor not....ALMOST ANYTHING IN FEL IS INTENDED FOR PVP! Pretty sure the devs would suspect that if anything of value happened in fel, there could be a fight over it.

Someone is not goin to bid a billion on the unknown contents of a 7x7 .....
Doesn't have to be anywhere near a billion to take idocs out of reach of many players.

I just think this is a very bad idea

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not about the bad guy either...fel is fel....trying to make fel "not fel" is not a good idea. I am not sure that the "5% that is super rich" are rich because of idocs. I do know that a lot of my friends that idoc are no where near rich, and they would have one of the aspects of this game that they truly enjoy, taken away from them if this idea were implemented.

I may be mistaken as well, but I would wager that Idocs were not intended as gold sinks either. its not about if idocs were intended for pvpor not....ALMOST ANYTHING IN FEL IS INTENDED FOR PVP! Pretty sure the devs would suspect that if anything of value happened in fel, there could be a fight over it.

Doesn't have to be anywhere near a billion to take idocs out of reach of many players.

I just think this is a very bad idea

I respect your opinion and thank-you for adding to the conversation in a constructive manner ;)

Do you not agree that the continuing lack of attention to scripting is destroying the game we all love ...

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How is a person going to script at a Fel Idoc? Every time I have ever been to one all I have seen is people either attempting to hide or fighting but never some uber script running to "loot" stuff. IMO, and I sure the OP loves it, this is a clear attempt to divert attention from the fact that some people actively find and hunt for Idocs while others would like them handed out on a silver platter. If you find one great and if you don't tough luck but don't try to screw the people who do the hard work.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is a person going to script at a Fel Idoc? Every time I have ever been to one all I have seen is people either attempting to hide or fighting but never some uber script running to "loot" stuff. IMO, and I sure the OP loves it, this is a clear attempt to divert attention from the fact that some people actively find and hunt for Idocs while others would like them handed out on a silver platter. If you find one great and if you don't tough luck but don't try to screw the people who do the hard work.
Again you are very wrong but everyone is entitled to their opinion even people who dont think others should have one ....Not gonna continue to argue with you Picus your obsession with me is becoming scary...
Thx for giving your input into this discussion :)

There are cheats everywhere and to say there isnt because its in Fel well thats laughable considering that most of PVP these days is SVS (Script vs Script) so even if looting ones arent being used which they are then them being used in combat is still just as bad

I posted this idea to spark conversation the idea good , bad or even horrible is well worth the abuse if it brings more attention and ideas to dealing with scripting ...

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always thought UO dev should have made the house decay change to a timer for the original owner of home to claim it say.... then to set it to osi owned for a month and do like they did in mag.
Have players put bids on the whole house "as is", on a stone.
You would get the date of the end of bidding and be able to access the stone to claim the home.
The home becomes a true gold sink. No matter what is paid on the stone that gold is gone from game.... be it 10 gold to millions... the worth is up to the players bidding.
It would make the landmark homes saveable, the wonderfully designed kept and the grumbling down to a dull roar... and like an auction the house and its contents are the winners.
What more do you want in a gold sink!

PS: the stone in the front of the house will denote the house is in decay for bidders making hunting easer too

Last edited:

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Scripting is a defaulted part of the game and, most likely, will be till the day they shut the servers down.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always thought UO dev should have made the house decay change to a timer for the original owner of home to claim it say.... then to set it to osi owned for a month and do like they did in mag.
Have players put bids on the whole house "as is", on a stone.
You would get the date of the end of bidding and be able to access the stone to claim the home.
The home becomes a true gold sink. No matter what is paid on the stone that gold is gone from game.... be it 10 gold to millions... the worth is up to the players bidding.
It would make the landmark homes saveable, the wonderfully designed kept and the grumbling down to a dull roar... and like an auction the house and its contents are the winners.
What more do you want in a gold sink!

PS: the stone in the front of the house will denote the house is in decay for bidders making hunting easer too
Excellent Lady Storm I was not around for that I am sad to say but sounds like a great idea
Thx very much for contributing to the conversation :)

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scripting is a defaulted part of the game and, most likely, will be till the day they shut the servers down.
I refuse to believe that Picus ... I think we as players who do love this game need to stand up and demand an end is brought to what we all know is destroying this game ... There were many people who left not for greener pastures but because of the rampant cheating

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When the last producer of the game went on his rant about the spread sheet of doom and nothing was done to the everyday player whom might script the odd thing it became accepted by default. As best as it is understood the "interface" that allows scripting does not actually communicate with UO so really without the ablity to scan every users system there isn't much that can be done.

You might have missed the excel sheet while you were gone but the rest of us fondly recall it.

Last edited:

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When the last producer of the game went on his rant about the spread sheet of doom and nothing was done to the everyday player whom might script the odd thing it became accepted by default. As best as it is understood the "interface" that allows scripting does not actually communicate with UO so really without the ablity to scan every users system there isn't much that can be done.
Its common knowledge that every patch even small ones break it ... I have always wondered if they could patch something everyday if necessary to break it ....

I did miss it .. Sadly so ... I left from time to time for many different reasons but everytime I come back I am like wow why did I leave when this game has everything I want plus a whole lot more

Last edited:

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Running a script to loot an IDOC would be about like shooting yourself right in the center of the foot with perfect accuracy, right before you ran a 100 yard dash. Just like running a loot script at EM events, just like running healing scripts in PVP... YAY for your fight against SCRIPTORS!!! (in those scenarios, its pretty much in your head that the HAXXORS are beating you with their scripting ways!)

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Running a script to loot an IDOC would be about like shooting yourself right in the center of the foot with perfect accuracy, right before you ran a 100 yard dash. Just like running a loot script at EM events, just like running healing scripts in PVP... YAY for your fight against SCRIPTORS!!! (in those scenarios, its pretty much in your head that the HAXXORS are beating you with their scripting ways!)
Umm ok ...

Thx for your contribution to the conversation

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Umm ok ...

Thx for your contribution to the conversation
Well, let's take it another way - here is your beef:

"Ok with everyones concern over scripting and whatever else people use to gain an unfair advantage over Idocs and the need for a gold sink how about this "

Since scripting an IDOC is really not feasible reality, please provide details on what "whatever else people use to gain an unfair advantage over Idocs" means, other than "I'm not that good at capitalizing on IDOCS, and I would like the system changed to something that I would better benefit from.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, let's take it another way - here is your beef:

"Ok with everyones concern over scripting and whatever else people use to gain an unfair advantage over Idocs and the need for a gold sink how about this "

Since scripting an IDOC is really not feasible reality, please provide details on what "whatever else people use to gain an unfair advantage over Idocs" means, other than "I'm not that good at capitalizing on IDOCS, and I would like the system changed to something that I would better benefit from.
Wait so you are serious when you say people are not scripting locating , watching and looting Idocs ?

Come on now this attack on me that I am trying to get all the Idocs for myself is pretty lame ...

Last edited:

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am serious when i say people are not script looting IDOCs.
Ok and that is your opinion and I respect that ...
Now I disagree and could go on all day about it but with all the proof thats already out there if you have not come to the realisation then nothing I say will ever change your mind

So on that note thx again for contributing to the conversation

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now I disagree and could go on all day about it but with all the proof thats already out there if you have not come to the realisation then nothing I say will ever change your mind

NO problem, and thanks for editing your post (a few up from here) to indicate that I "attacked" you for wanting to get all of the IDOCS to yourself.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

"Now I disagree and could go on all day about it but with all the proof thats already out there if you have not come to the realisation then nothing I say will ever change your mind"

"but with all the proof thats already out there"

"all the proof thats already out there"

"all the proof"

Can you please show some of this "proof"?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I respect your opinion and thank-you for adding to the conversation in a constructive manner ;)

Do you not agree that the continuing lack of attention to scripting is destroying the game we all love ...
Ya but scripting at IDOCs is definitely not on the top to do list as in scripting and your idea of it to remove scripting is just not good I'm not bashing you fr making a contribution to the forums either..scripting resources is a MuCH bigger issue in all honesty..scripting in general will be hard to stop because of the nature of it..all a lot of scripting program do is read journals and move over with a mouse movement browsers like opera have that as a built in feature and to be completely honest EA cannot afford to ban all the scripters and I think that may be the harsh reality..for instance there are people that I fight against that you DON'T see unless an unnamed program is patched because they use it as such a crutch without it they quit where as u might say ok well that's better for everyone where I agree IT IS but at the same time it's NOT only because scripting speed hacking is SO rampant wether u admit it or not half of those people aren't willing to play on an equal playing field because dying hurts their E-egos..and even if the devs make it IMPOSSIBLE. To speed hack/script/push packets and whatever else these people do most will just quit and move on because this game lacks so much how do I put this..love the devs are strung up by their nuts pretty much or others on what they can and cannot do..EA has run this game straight into the ground almost to the point of no return..does this mean ill quit when hacking stops..no does this mean I want it to stop..absolutely I hate being at a disadvantage..but will it..ehh be a dev fanboy/girl all you'd like but the answer is just simply NO..deal with it or move on seriously..adapt their scripts are NOT smarter then you you just need to find their weakness

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya but scripting at IDOCs is definitely not on the top to do list as in scripting and your idea of it to remove scripting is just not good I'm not bashing you fr making a contribution to the forums either..scripting resources is a MuCH bigger issue in all honesty..scripting in general will be hard to stop because of the nature of it..all a lot of scripting program do is read journals and move over with a mouse movement browsers like opera have that as a built in feature and to be completely honest EA cannot afford to ban all the scripters and I think that may be the harsh reality..for instance there are people that I fight against that you DON'T see unless an unnamed program is patched because they use it as such a crutch without it they quit where as u might say ok well that's better for everyone where I agree IT IS but at the same time it's NOT only because scripting speed hacking is SO rampant wether u admit it or not half of those people aren't willing to play on an equal playing field because dying hurts their E-egos..and even if the devs make it IMPOSSIBLE. To speed hack/script/push packets and whatever else these people do most will just quit and move on because this game lacks so much how do I put this..love the devs are strung up by their nuts pretty much or others on what they can and cannot do..EA has run this game straight into the ground almost to the point of no return..does this mean ill quit when hacking stops..no does this mean I want it to stop..absolutely I hate being at a disadvantage..but will it..ehh be a dev fanboy/girl all you'd like but the answer is just simply NO..deal with it or move on seriously..adapt their scripts are NOT smarter then you you just need to find their weakness
Times have indeed changed, whether the built in features of Opera that you speak of, or the gaming keyboards and mouses (mice?) that allow you to record complicated macros that execute in a single click...

Hell, If i was successfully able to open 3 clients at once on my 1999 PC, I would have needed a fire extinguisher to stop my RL house from going IDOC.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something as a simple patch every other day could break the scripting ...Not only for Idocs but resources , pvp and whatever else .. If you were around on the forums around 2004 there were a lot of people who quit do to the state of cheating or scripting whatever we shall label it with ..

My opinion is stop the scripting/cheating let those who rely on it quit and I would be willing to bet that old meat would return and fresh meat would stay longer

Btw thanks much for your contribution to the convo ;)

Last edited:

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My opinion is stop the scripting/cheating let those who rely on it quit and I would be willing to bet that old meat would return and fresh meat would stay longer
I would be willing to bet that the company that runs this game has bet against you. And has won. And is dealing the next hand.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like the devs to do something against cheaters. I do not believe that this idea will do it.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like the devs to do something against cheaters. I do not believe that this idea will do it.
Have any ideas ?
Thx for voicing your concern if we as players show them this is an issue we wont just sit back and watch it be swept under the rug any longer maybe we will get some action

Again thx for your contribution to the convo ;)

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if we as players show them this is an issue we wont just sit back and watch it be swept under the rug any longer maybe we will get some action
1) Page like hell in game, every time you see someone scripting an Idoc (this wont work because you cant see people scripting)
2) Make posts on UHALL identifying everyone who cheats (this wont work because you cant name people on UHALL)
3) Page on everyone you see, because they may, at some point cheat (this will work, because even if they aren't cheating when you page on them, they may well be cheating when the GM checks in on them 9 hours later)

I say go with option 3, this will certainly hinder your play while you are around a lot of people, but will probably pay off the best in the end.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again I remember these forums a lil different ... I recall people who were clearly just trying to disrupt/troll a conversation were dealt with or am I remembering this wrong

Geez just because I disagree with an opinion does not mean I should pick up a stalker is this forum not safe from predators

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again I remember these forums a lil different ... I recall people who were clearly just trying to disrupt/troll a conversation were dealt with or am I remembering this wrong

Geez just because I disagree with an opinion does not mean I should pick up a stalker is this forum not safe from predators
If you would like to bow out of the conversation that you stared, please feel free. If i am actioned on my responses, so be it, but this is the second (maybe third) time in your own thread that you have taken this poor me, help me, I am being attacked position.

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We really dont need no bright ideas on how to improve on and basically change every aspect of a tradition in uo that has been going on for years. Many people play just for the idocs, what you propose would strip that from them. I have done very well over the scripters thru the years and will continue to do so at idocs. If ya want to help, design a program for ea to stop the scriptors. Dont try and change the game to how you think it should be played.

Last edited:

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come on everyone agree or disagree with the original idea but lets share some ideas on the topic of ways to stop scripting/cheating from being an acceptable form of play

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We really dont need no bright ideas on how to improve on and basically change every aspect of a tradition in uo that has been going on for years. Many people play just for the idocs, what you propose would strip that from them. I have done very well over the scripters thru the years and will continue to do so at idocs. If ya want to help design a program for ea to stop the scriptors, dont try and change the game to how you think it should be played.
Thx for sharing your opinion ;)

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
but lets share some ideas on the topic of ways to stop scripting/cheating from being an acceptable form of play
Describe some specific examples of people cheating and how you think they should be addressed. Do not come to the table with the mindset that cheating is a given in every case and that hampers your ability to play the game. Show that what you define as cheating actually is cheating within the reference of the rules, and within the spirit of the game. Be prepared to defend your arguments.

Here is a bad example of this argument - "Everyone cheats at IDOCS and my opinion is that now instead of IDOCS, everyone should have ice cream cones"

Status
Not open for further replies.