• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ICQ alternatives

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Just use Skype. It has instant messages, and if you don't want to make audio/video calls then don't. But everyone has it, they use it on TV, everyone knows what it is. Then just use Trillian or something to talk to everyone using ICQ or Yahoo IM or whatever random ass thing.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'll have to see. Just made a skype account, but Trillian does not connect with skype.

Whatever happens I hope this thread can be of use to other people in the future.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Trillian used to do Skype but my guess is Microsoft didn't like that so they won't allow it anymore.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I guess this is another thing that's kind of troublesome for a new player. The IM service everyone uses wants too much data from you and sounds a bit fishy nowadays.
Just tried to install the ICQ app on a phone and had to cancel installation. Never have I seen an app that requests access to so many, if not all, your stuff. What the heck do they need my pictures for????

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess this is another thing that's kind of troublesome for a new player. The IM service everyone uses wants too much data from you and sounds a bit fishy nowadays.
Just tried to install the ICQ app on a phone and had to cancel installation. Never have I seen an app that requests access to so many, if not all, your stuff. What the heck do they need my pictures for????
It's not so much that they need them... I believe that's so YOU can send the pics on your phone to your contacts.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I get this when trying to register with facebook...
Can you send me the link to register? I'm wondering if I have the right website. Should be just www.icq.com, right?
wow... ICQ taking a hit left and right then....
Your best bet is probably Trillian as your "aggregator" for using one app but connecting to several text-chat programs.
I did use Trill a lot for a while before I decided to cut down all my apps.
Over the years a lot of friends left... so... I hardly use any of the services anymore. Where I used to live on ICQ - I only log into ICQ if I'm playing UO now. Most stuff I use Skype - but that gets into professional and family things. When I'm gaming, I don't wanna be bothered by work or family.

HOWEVER
Getting into more combat types of games, I'm finding a voice app is just about a requirement. I tried a lot, Teamspeak is rather popular as is Vent - but finally settling with GameVox as it is _very_ lightweight, free, don't need my own personal server, is free, easy to manage, and did I mention is free? It also works with Overwolf, so that makes me happy. Doing text is okay... but if I'm in a heavy combat area, I really don't wanna stop to type - that means death most of the time.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Yeah I only need an ICQ number for UO. After I get it I'll use something else like Trillian, etc. It's just the "get an ICQ account" part that's annoying me.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
So just to give some closure I now have ICQ. Got another mobile phone number for it and was able to register.
They can spam that one all they want, not using it for anything else.
The End

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
apparently icq is now snooping files on my system. the last 2 times i used icq i got this popup. icq has no business looking at my hosts file. i intentionally modified my hosts file to block access to ad servers. i guess icq couldn't get their ads to pop up and checked my hosts file? that or it's trying to install malware.

icq.png

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Go with Skype or WhatsApp for texting. ICQ was good back in the day but it's passe now.
Teamspeak is good for voice but Raidcall is just as good as Teamspeak and free.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've started using Discord. It replaces both ICQ as well as ventrilo/Teamspeak. I am really impressed so far.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've started using Discord. It replaces both ICQ as well as ventrilo/Teamspeak. I am really impressed so far.
Do you get feedback from other players on Discord? I been using it with a few friends and well it's rather annoying to hear myself talk though them... REALLY don't like that.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you get feedback from other players on Discord? I been using it with a few friends and well it's rather annoying to hear myself talk though them... REALLY don't like that.
Hmm, I haven't experienced any feedback and have tried it with PTT and without....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hmm, I haven't experienced any feedback and have tried it with PTT and without....
We were doing it without PTT. Was rather annoying. You didn't ever hear yourself through someone else?

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We were doing it without PTT. Was rather annoying. You didn't ever hear yourself through someone else?
Maybe some of the people that were on the line had an open mic set up with the speakers close. So when you spoke their mic engaged? Maybe if they turned their speakers down a bit or get that person to go PTT....

You can also have them adjust the volume sensitivity required to engage their mic.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe some of the people that were on the line had an open mic set up with the speakers close. So when you spoke their mic engaged? Maybe if they turned their speakers down a bit or get that person to go PTT....

You can also have them adjust the volume sensitivity required to engage their mic.
Yeah we did mess with things a lot and the mic seemed overly sensitive and was picking up from their speaker.... everytime I'd talk... was rather annoying. It's for that reason I really don't like Discord over Vent. I don't like to hear myself talk... which I'm sure some of my friends would disagree with that but yeah. Nothing like hearing your own voice... though someone elses ear. It's like ew?!?! Do I really sound like that!?!? UGH! But I guess that's one good way to shut me up. LOL