• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ICQ alternatives

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Long, long ago I used to have an ICQ account. Then I stopped playing UO for 10+ years and can't even remember the number or even acount details anymore anymore.

Since ICQ nowadays seems to be Russian and full of crapware/spyware/etc and they also want your phone number I would like to get a new IM system that can interact with those of you who still have ICQ or an ICQ number.

Can anyone recommend a free service that will interact with ICQ?

Right now I'm reading a bit about:
Discord (suggestive name, right?)
Trillian
Miranda

Don't know which of these is best or if even can do what I need it to do which is to be able to contact and be contacted by the UO community who uses ICQ while not having my own ICQ number anymore.

Hope I'm not confusing something here...

Thanks!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Discord is more like Ventrilo it's ok... I find it a bit annoying... but I've never used it for ICQ.

Trillian I use and I do recommend. I've never had issues with it and actually like it. I even have it on my phone and it works quite well. But I also have the paid version.

As for the other never heard of it don't use it.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Can't help with that, I have ICQ without them getting my phone number so far. I just wonder why everyone hasn't advanced to at least teamspeak or something. It's so much cooler.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I wonder if I'm confusing things a bit.

Do any of these services provide their own IM service or do they just use an existing account like Pidgin does?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wonder if I'm confusing things a bit.

Do any of these services provide their own IM service or do they just use an existing account like Pidgin does?
I believe Discord is it's own thing but then all your friends will need discord as well... Which my computer thinks Discord is a virus since it's real new and doesn't have a large following and they haven't sold Norton their first born yet.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I believe Discord is it's own thing but then all your friends will need discord as well... Which my computer thinks Discord is a virus since it's real new and doesn't have a large following and they haven't sold Norton their first born yet.
Hmm thanks for the info...can't have that happening.

I think I confused IM chat services with chat networks. So which chat network othern than ICQ would you recommend that interacts well with ICQ?

I see a bunch of them on the Pidgin website:
  • AIM
  • Bonjour
  • Gadu-Gadu
  • Google Talk
  • Groupwise
  • ICQ (NO)
  • IRC
  • MSN
  • MXit
  • SILC
  • SIMPLE
  • Sametime
  • XMPP
  • Yahoo!
  • Zephyr

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Long, long ago I used to have an ICQ account. Then I stopped playing UO for 10+ years and can't even remember the number or even acount details anymore anymore.

Since ICQ nowadays seems to be Russian and full of crapware/spyware/etc and they also want your phone number I would like to get a new IM system that can interact with those of you who still have ICQ or an ICQ number.

Can anyone recommend a free service that will interact with ICQ?

Right now I'm reading a bit about:
Discord (suggestive name, right?)
Trillian
Miranda

Don't know which of these is best or if even can do what I need it to do which is to be able to contact and be contacted by the UO community who uses ICQ while not having my own ICQ number anymore.Thanks!
I use the old icqs. I'm also not entering my # in. You can download the older versions here: Old and New Version of ICQ Download - OldApps.com If you're willing to start over with a new messenger you might as well just DL an old version and take it from there.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Trillian uses ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, and AIM all in one... but it is not it's own thing.... but it uses your ICQ and everything without you using ICQ... it seems more secure than ICQ.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Trillian uses ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, and AIM all in one... but it is not it's own thing.... but it uses your ICQ and everything without you using ICQ... it seems more secure than ICQ.
So I can download/install and create an account with Trillian without having ICQ at all? Because that's exactly what I'm looking for.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So I can download/install and create an account with Trillian without having ICQ at all? Because that's exactly what I'm looking for.
You just tell Trillian what your ICQ is and set it up with that and if you have MSN, Yahoo and such you can set those up as well. It also works with Twitter and Facebook but I don't use those so I can't tell you how well that works. But it's rather like having an "all in one" printer. I personally very much like Trillian.

I've been trying Discord but like I said it would require all your friends to use Discord as well and if any of them do it's likely they might have issues with Norton.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't need to enter a phone number to use ICQ, however the program runs terribly on PC.

But the phone app runs great as far as I can tell. Plus you have it on the go.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
You don't need to enter a phone number to use ICQ, however the program runs terribly on PC.

But the phone app runs great as far as I can tell. Plus you have it on the go.
I'm still kind of oriented towards using something on a pc, but thanks for that anyway ;)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I use Pidgin!

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do what? I'm not in the US :)
You can put any number in the phone number box and be able to reply to ICQ members that otherwise wouldn't allow access without having a phone number available.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, but don't you need a preexisting account on ICQ to use it anyway?

So basically inset any phone number...that's very naughty :D
haha, well it shouldn't be anyone's phone number, it could be anything, I use 555-0001.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought they asked for a phone number to send a text message so you could confirm the account?
It wasn't setup that way for me, unless it's something new, I'm still using the same number for the last year or so in my previous post, I haven't had any issues with it.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
It wasn't setup that way for me, unless it's something new, I'm still using the same number for the last year or so in my previous post, I haven't had any issues with it.
Yeah it tells me I can't send a text message to that phone number...

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
If I use Trillian will people with ICQ be able to add me to their contacts? I can't remember how ICQ works exactly but I do recall it being just numbers and on Trillian I got a username and no number...

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah it tells me I can't send a text message to that phone number...
That's because it's no ones phone number, I use icq, some members have it setup to not allow you on their friends list without having a phone number listed.
just having a random "fake" number listed enables them to add me to their list & vise-versa.

If you try to text with your phone it just wouldn't work, there's a separate ICQ# which has absolutely nothing to do with your phone number (I don't know why the phone number is even a thing tbh), you'd need to download an instant messenger program such as ICQ or Trillian. (they're the two most of my friends use).

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I use Trillian will people with ICQ be able to add me to their contacts? I can't remember how ICQ works exactly but I do recall it being just numbers and on Trillian I got a username and no number...
Yes.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I use regular ICQ on both phone and PC without issue or virus/spyware nonsense. I think some of the concern over it being Russian is overblown.

I use TeamSpeak with my guild for voice. Highly suggested for any large group to have a chat room. So much easier to run hunts and communicate any in game issues. I've used Ventrillo and Mumble in the past too, but TS is my preference.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you go to set up ICQ on Trillian you will need the ICQ account number and password to use ICQ.

I've lost the ICQ information since setting up Trillian but it has retained it so whenever I set up Trillian all my accounts are there automatically. They can't tell me what that ICQ info is though, which is a bummer.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use regular ICQ on both phone and PC without issue or virus/spyware nonsense. I think some of the concern over it being Russian is overblown.

I use TeamSpeak with my guild for voice. Highly suggested for any large group to have a chat room. So much easier to run hunts and communicate any in game issues. I've used Ventrillo and Mumble in the past too, but TS is my preference.
I've used Ventrilo, Mumble, TeamSpeak, Skype and Discord.... and I'll say right now that Ventrilo is by FAR my favorite. TS and Mumble don't have or haven't had individual user controls to control sounds... so you always get the guy who barely whispers into the mic or insists on having the mic either on his forehead or under his chin... so you can't hear a word he says.... or the guy who is eating the mic so if you turn up the mumbler you get blown from your chair when the eater speaks. Vent allows you to individually control each users volume easily and effectively. As for Discord. I love it except I don't like hearing myself talk and often I hear myself through other folk if they don't have their settings right. Very annoying. Skype gives BAD feedback as does Vent if more than one person talks at the same time.

But I do agree that having a team chat is vital if you are doing anything with a group. From Fel Champs to co-coordinating runs of things or just hanging I really love Ventrilo. A lot of folk tell me they think it "distracts" from RP. But you know when I'm busy doing RP I'm NOT chatting in Vent. Infact I rather tend to tune it out. Until UO comes up with it's own chat, mail, and speak program built into game (Yes i know they have a chat but it stinks)... I think we will all rely on things and ICQ is something many of us have all used over the years.

Whatever you use welcome home.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually, this is partially untrue. Trillian indeed connects to multiple IM networks (and one or two voice systems), but it also has its own network as well...but you don't even notice its there. It can even connect to IRC, should you feel nostalgic.

I reccomend Trillian since you can have it open on multiple devices and get alerts on the one you're active on.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, this is partially untrue. Trillian indeed connects to multiple IM networks (and one or two voice systems), but it also has its own network as well...but you don't even notice its there. It can even connect to IRC, should you feel nostalgic.

I reccomend Trillian since you can have it open on multiple devices and get alerts on the one you're active on.
And it keeps all your conversations if you like so you can look back at history of conversations whether you are on your phone or on your computer or on your tablet.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
TS and Mumble don't have or haven't had individual user controls to control sounds...
TS does. That was a main sticking point for me as well. Need to have ability to turn certain people up and others down. Don't think I could ever go without that at this point.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
TS does. That was a main sticking point for me as well. Need to have ability to turn certain people up and others down. Don't think I could ever go without that at this point.
They didn't use to.... which I NEVER could stand. I use TS for Landmark since the guild I'm in there uses it... but honestly I don't really like it.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'll be using all of this basically just for messages in case there is a trade to be made, so I won't be needing voice. Al least not for now.
I think I'll give Trillian a go and see how it develops. A lot of good feedback here and good options, I hope this post can help others in the future as well.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
@MalagAste can you tell me how to add people's ICQ on Trillian?
I tried going to Add Contact and putting the number there, but I'm not sure it was the right way to do it as nothing happened. Also it doesn't even ask if the contact is ICQ or something else...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@MalagAste can you tell me how to add people's ICQ on Trillian?
I tried going to Add Contact and putting the number there, but I'm not sure it was the right way to do it as nothing happened. Also it doesn't even ask if the contact is ICQ or something else...
When you go to "Add Contact" at the very top of the box in that menu should be something that says "Service" Be sure to use the dropdown there to select "XXXXXXXXXX on ICQ" Where XXXXXXXXXX is your ICQ number. If you told Trillian what your ICQ is and linked it to Trillian. Then the UNI is the ICQ # of the party you want to add. Hope that helps.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
When you go to "Add Contact" at the very top of the box in that menu should be something that says "Service" Be sure to use the dropdown there to select "XXXXXXXXXX on ICQ" Where XXXXXXXXXX is your ICQ number. If you told Trillian what your ICQ is and linked it to Trillian. Then the UNI is the ICQ # of the party you want to add. Hope that helps.
As I mentioned I do not have an ICQ account or number myself. Will I be able to add people with ICQ if I don't have an ICQ number myself then?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I mentioned I do not have an ICQ account or number myself. Will I be able to add people with ICQ if I don't have an ICQ number myself then?
You can't add a service to Trillian that you don't have no.

You have to have a service in order to use it. Otherwise your friends can't add you either as they would have nothing to put in to add you.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
OK now it's clear. So in that case which service other than ICQ would you recommend for me to use Trillian with?
I'm fairly close to buy a 5$ mobile card and use it to register on ICQ, get an ICQ number and then throw the mobile card away afterwards...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OK now it's clear. So in that case which service other than ICQ would you recommend for me to use Trillian with?
I'm fairly close to buy a 5$ mobile card and use it to register on ICQ, get an ICQ number and then throw the mobile card away afterwards...

What for? Just make up a fake phone # and use it... don't think it has to be real. Same with your ICQ name. Certainly they don't check that either. I would never give my actual phone # for something like that.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you know if anyone you played with before is still active? if yes, they would have your icq number on their list still, unless they removed you. If they could give you your number, you could get a 'lost password' and then you'd be good to go on trillian, pidgin, or anything else.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
People I played with long ago all quit and we lost contact after some time.

I don't know how things look on your end when you register for an ICQ account, but on this side I need to put name and mobile phone number. After that I need to wait for a text message on that number that needs to be inserted on the very next screen, so that means I can't even start using ICQ without giving my phone. If I use a fake phone it will receive the text message with the code I need to proceed...in which case I'll be stuck on the activation screen.

Screen#1 Screen#2

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is that under PC?

I've never had that. But then I've had the same ICQ # since 2000 I think. I quit using regular ICQ back in 2008 I think... and went to Trillian...

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Is that under PC?

I've never had that. But then I've had the same ICQ # since 2000 I think. I quit using regular ICQ back in 2008 I think... and went to Trillian...
Yes it's for PC, forgot to mention that. I guess the challenge is for new ICQ numbers only.
You can see how this is annoying...really don't want to give my phone number to them.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
be cool u dont get hacked via icq.. more likey a guild website

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My guess is it's a new thing... never had to have a phone # before...

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I tried to install older versions of ICQ and try to register that way, but of course it all failed anyway.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I've got the latest ICQ and it doesn't drop ads on me. I never gave it my phone either. I do notice that their email registration services is "temporarily closed" - now how temporary that is, I dunno.

You could try using Facebook (if you have a FB account) to register - they are allowing that.

I've been looking into voice-chats and find GameVox to be really good (my server is linked below) - should really look to see what ppl use that you play with otherwise makes no sense. Eventually, I might move away from ICQ myself and just use GameVox... it has voice and text together from the same server.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I've got the latest ICQ and it doesn't drop ads on me. I never gave it my phone either. I do notice that their email registration services is "temporarily closed" - now how temporary that is, I dunno.

You could try using Facebook (if you have a FB account) to register - they are allowing that.

I've been looking into voice-chats and find GameVox to be really good (my server is linked below) - should really look to see what ppl use that you play with otherwise makes no sense. Eventually, I might move away from ICQ myself and just use GameVox... it has voice and text together from the same server.
I get this when trying to register with facebook...
Can you send me the link to register? I'm wondering if I have the right website. Should be just www.icq.com, right?