• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How much money do you have?

PaulCH

Journeyman
I opened my account in 1999 (maybe late 98) and I can't come close to affording some of the stuff on the Trader's Hall. Between all the shards that I play on, I *might* be able to scrape together 40 million GPs, which a few years ago, I would have considered an insane amount of money.

I live a pretty simple "lifestyle"...I mine / lumberjack / hunt (mostly low end stuff...cap out a paragon balron which my GD fought to a standstill but couldn't kill).

So, I was wondering, does everyone have 100s of millions? or I am simply seeing a representation of the small minority? My guess is that the highest end stuff is sold on Trader's Hall since vendors are capped but that, on average, most players do still have more money than I do.

Which leads to my last question...how do you make your money? Not necessarily the secrets to being rich but is it by selling rares, killing top end monsters and auctioning off the loot, selling crafted stuff on a vendor or do you simply buy GPs (time is RL money so cheaper to buy GPs then spend your time grinding it).

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I farm shadowguard mostly if I need gold mostly for the corpse loot, the pack-drops sell pretty well too though ... but I don't really buy much. (not many people sell the things I'm interested in)

I usually like to keep my current gold amount around 1-1.5billions... when I get lower than 1b that's when I start farming to make goldz again..

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Which leads to my last question...how do you make your money?
Best way I still know to make money is to be a merchant of the finer things. It is even easier these days with vendor search being what it is. Sure, you can eek out a living with resources etc but it is a long grind provided you are doing it legally. Watch Gen Chat for deals and then resell.. the old "buy low sell high" can increase your gold really quickly IF you pay close attention to the market out there. I was in your shoes for a long time in UO.. never could get above 50 spread across both accounts. Started buying, selling and hitting auctions constantly next thing I knew I had far surpassed 50.

About the only other way I make gold is farming peerless still.. it is not as lucrative as it once was but some of the drops still bring a nice pay off. Unlike most folks I steer away from spawns unless I am just playing to play.. they take too long and not many of the drops bring high value. By the time I solo a spawn I could have more than likely dropped Mel or Trav three times.

Best advise other than that.... When new content hits play it with the crowd and sell any of the drops you get, never think about keeping it for yourself even if you have drooled over it for 3 months waiting for it to hit. New drops hit and their value is always REALLY high.. sell every one you get your hands on. After a month to month and a half you will most likely be able to buy whichever drop you were drooling over for half of what you sold one of them for..

Those options no good for ya? Well... there is always the EM Event lottery to go play ;)

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@PaulCH start a vendor either at your house or somewhere close to a gate and buy stuff for cheap through Vendor Search then re-sell for a profit. It's the easiest way to make good money in UO :cool:

upload_2016-12-8_14-45-5.png

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I have enough. :)

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How much gold is a lot of gold? I can remember seeing a friend at the bank say "balance" and he had 750k... I about fell out of my chair he was so rich! Of course this was prolly around 1999.
I've seen someone in the last few months that said "balance" at Luna bank and had about 50p... I almost fell out of my chair and that was in 2016. Talk about inflation in 17 years eh? hehe :p

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll have to check the banks on my 14 accounts across all of the shards. I have no clue what my balances are.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I've seen someone in the last few months that said "balance" at Luna bank and had about 50p... I almost fell out of my chair and that was in 2016. Talk about inflation in 17 years eh? hehe :p
You should have seen the looks I got when I did that for a 39p balance. :D

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
500m+ on my main account between Atlantic & LS. My second account, which I need to reactivate (sub lapsed yesterday), has around 11m between those two shards. Other shards, like Chessy/GL/Catskills, have some gold for insurance, since I've never finished my chars on them.

Selling Enchantress' Cameos goes a long way towards filling your bank account.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't reply to him because I thought that he stopped mid-thought:

"I have enough..."
1) for everyone who still plays UO
2) that my kids are set up (if UO lasts long enough)
3) that my kids are set up...in RL
4) when is that titanium coming out?

:p
If you are following the Trade and Rares he has tons of stuff selling and is always buying too, so yea he has enough.

Enziet

Journeyman
When I packed up my main account I had around 30 plat. My new account.... 6 or 7 mill ? Don't need much gold when your not buying rares. Just need enough for alot of Insured deaths.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Recently added up the gold on the seven accounts I try to keep active/semi-active and it totaled about 132 million across all shards. The most I have on any one shard is about 23 million, which won't buy much of anything these days.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I usually have around 200 - 300m total across shards in actual gold. I really don't spend much because I have so much junk. When checks used to count against your bank items - I tried not to store gold in checks but rather assets and tried to invest in assets that appreciate (hey I have a finance major after all). At one point xfer tokens were sold with some sort of reward pack or something and they cost 1.5m each. I bought some there and then over the years when i'd get 20 m I wanted to store - I'd buy another xfer token. Xfer tokens are usually a good investment becuase they don't get cheaper and they are consumable and can't be aquired in game so good to invest in. Everytime a rares festival comes around people pay a premium for them. If I need $$ I'll sell one.

Otherwise, much of my gold and assets come from champ spawn scrolls or Bod rewards. I have the large bods completed for 300 or so spined kits and 30 or so barb kits. Need cash? Claim and sell.
Same with resources. I have 60k deeds of frost boards I could break up and sell if I ever need spending money.

If you are looking to get weathly - probably best ways is IDOC hunting/sitting, bod rewards (heck made 20-30 mil with a few hours work doing alchemy bods), or event items.
At an IDOC I scooped up a shiney gold box. Turns out its Posiden's Treasures and worth like 400m last time I checked. Sitting around in a box collecting dust in case I ever need cash.......

I generally like to acquire things as that's really the fun in the game vs trying to buy things so gold is less useful for me. I like to adventure, craft and acquire. Buying stuff is generally not as interesting for me for my gameplay. I'm about the adventure and the challenge.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
About 50 million divided between 4 accounts.

If not for being given a castle (for which the 4th account was created) by a departing guildmate that was FULL of rares, I'd have less than 20 million.

I've been slowly liquidating some of the stuff in the castle (as in "Holy **** he had 400 roses and about 1000 ToT minors!"), which is where some of the money has come from. The most valuable stuff he had, is either staying put, or will have to be cross-sharded to have any hope of selling. There's also a huge supply of POF which effectively got decimated in value by the BOD changes.

I had about 100 million in rares from various events prior to the castle, that are in the "never will be sold" category, and now probably have about 10 platinum's worth of rubble and other stuff (see the statement above), that would be impossible for me to liquidate quickly. A small but significant amount of it is also in the category of being to important to guild or shard history to ever be sold.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yeaaa interesting topic. Would be nice if the value of gold wasnt so inflated. Wish the devs would implement more gold sinks. One quick idea could be related to costly housing upgrades e.g. 1 plat gets you tripple storage or turns your house into a stable or something. Nothing too complicated.

If i were a new player and started the game with 1k gold in my pocket, killed a skeleton for 36 gold, and saw someone selling a castle for 2 billion... lets just say i wouldnt be renewing my subscription..

Game is 20 years old and the population now is so low. Guess im not surprised by the current dev team not accounting for this and realizing its problem.

Maybe ill make a thread for gold sink ideas...

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeaaa interesting topic. Would be nice if the value of gold wasnt so inflated. Wish the devs would implement more gold sinks. One quick idea could be related to costly housing upgrades e.g. 1 plat gets you tripple storage or turns your house into a stable or something. Nothing too complicated.

If i were a new player and started the game with 1k gold in my pocket, killed a skeleton for 36 gold, and saw someone selling a castle for 2 billion... lets just say i wouldnt be renewing my subscription..

Game is 20 years old and the population now is so low. Guess im not surprised by the current dev team not accounting for this and realizing its problem.

I am amazed we ever get any sort of new players. Most new players I see are old vets on a temp or additional account.

The barrier to entry is very very high for this game. If I were to attract new players I would :

1 - Create a new player shard (instead of haven on existing shards)
2 - Have permenant alacrity skill gains for characters to speed their development.
3 - Give them one free 115 PS choice.
4 - Once they reach over 90 skill in three skills for their character they are forced to xfer to a new production shard
5 - As they transfer they get a random artifact and maybe some heritage tokens, a choice of crimson or a tangle blessed for them and 5m in gold

Not many vet players would create new accounts just for these rewards since it would take as much time to get to 3x90 as it would to just hunt up 5m but then you don't dump new players into a full blown billion dollar production shard. Plus once they get there they have some $$ to spend and an artifact or two to build a suit around. In addition they would be surrounded by other new players doing similar things all on the same shard. A place to meet other new players and then maybe organize to what shard they go to afterwards.

Other games have this concept where you move worlds as you level. Here you have newborns in the same world as 15+ year vets. The disparity is great and defeating to a new player. I've started new characters on other production shards and it is a real haul to try to build up from scratch esp when most vendors don't even sell new player gear. You have 10k gold in hand from killing cows and everything is some sort of artifact or overpowered gear. No one is making a living selling 2k armor pieces.

I honestly think everything on vendors priced under 1k should not count against vendor fees. Make it worth stocking new player gear and items. So what if it doesn't charge rent? You'll make more taxing the rich anyways.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I'll never understand people who want and ask for a gold sink.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm a bit of a UO shopaholic so I very rarely have more than 100m in actual gold (12m at the moment) however if you added up the value of everything I own in UO including houses etc. My guess is it would be around 65ish platinum. I don't really keep track of exactly how much it's all worth.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I were to attract new players I would :

1 - Create a new player shard (instead of haven on existing shards)
2 - Have permenant alacrity skill gains for characters to speed their development.
3 - Give them one free 115 PS choice.
4 - Once they reach over 90 skill in three skills for their character they are forced to xfer to a new production shard
5 - As they transfer they get a random artifact and maybe some heritage tokens, a choice of crimson or a tangle blessed for them and 5m in gold

Not many vet players would create new accounts just for these rewards since it would take as much time to get to 3x90 as it would to just hunt up 5m but then you don't dump new players into a full blown billion dollar production shard. Plus once they get there they have some $$ to spend and an artifact or two to build a suit around. In addition they would be surrounded by other new players doing similar things all on the same shard. A place to meet other new players and then maybe organize to what shard they go to afterwards.
I think you are looking at it too much from a vet point of view. For a really new player I doubt it's about billions ands castles.

The best time I had in UO when I was a noob. Going through the skills was tedious sometimes, sure, but I won't miss a single day of it. The friends I met in my first days, I won't have to leave them when I hit a certain skill limit. And then the pleassure of actually earning my first tangle and proudly wearing it. A new player does not need it handed on a plate. A new player hardly needs more than a 70s suit with some template matching stats and a helping hand.

If a player after a while decides he totally needs to join the billion-gp-bubble and buy houses or loot for 5+ plat, he is free to do buy farming a couple of EM events.

On the topic, I never felt the need to buy anything that won't go on a vendor *shrugs* Sometimes I shake my head when I see people on Stratics selling the same things in the billions, but fair game if they found a buyer :)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One quick idea could be related to costly housing upgrades e.g. 1 plat gets you tripple storage or turns your house into a stable or something. Nothing too complicated.
Bad idea, because it is a one-time-thing. Once you buy it, you have it and you don't have to spend the money a second time. Once the demand is saturated, that gold sink will be pointless.
A gold sink should let the money flow out of the system constantly and not just be a one-time-shot.

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I need to make a correction, it was actually closer to 44p lol :p. It's still alot of cash but here's a pic to prove it

upload_2016-12-9_8-7-32.png

I'll give you a hint though on who it was... two words... Vesper Museum hehe ;)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I opened my account in 1999 (maybe late 98) and I can't come close to affording some of the stuff on the Trader's Hall. Between all the shards that I play on, I *might* be able to scrape together 40 million GPs, which a few years ago, I would have considered an insane amount of money.

I live a pretty simple "lifestyle"...I mine / lumberjack / hunt (mostly low end stuff...cap out a paragon balron which my GD fought to a standstill but couldn't kill).

So, I was wondering, does everyone have 100s of millions? or I am simply seeing a representation of the small minority? My guess is that the highest end stuff is sold on Trader's Hall since vendors are capped but that, on average, most players do still have more money than I do.

Which leads to my last question...how do you make your money? Not necessarily the secrets to being rich but is it by selling rares, killing top end monsters and auctioning off the loot, selling crafted stuff on a vendor or do you simply buy GPs (time is RL money so cheaper to buy GPs then spend your time grinding it).
Around 15 million? But I sold someone something for 10 million. Tis the most I've ever had.

PaulCH

Journeyman
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Reading the thread, there are clearly some people with far more money but there are some in my range as well...makes me feel better :)

Thanks also for the advice on how to make money. Going with a two pronged approach...going to start a vendor where I'm going to sell lumber, ingots and BOD rewards. I *think* that a well stocked lumber and ingot vendor might be able to do well. While I concede that this one won't make me rich, I will enjoy it and that's what the game is about :) Secondly, going to start checking vendor search for deals to resell.

Big question is do I sort through and sell some of my own stuff such old christmas / valentines gift, heritage token and tons of other crap. Doubt I have any major rares but definitely some stuff where I could make some money. Will only do this, though, if I find an item that I just *must* have then I'll try to find stuff to sell to make enough to buy it.