• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

History of Siege?

• Thread starter imported_Chad Sexington
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
G

Hey man, not much. Was playing WoW a bit (frostmage ftw), working, now playin some UO elsewhere. Same old [censored], i'd like to know who the coward bluebies that put up our bounties. Would be good for a laugh atleast.

G

how about some screenshots? lmao

first my good friend mystique sittin at an IDOC... lmfao

the... [censored]... tard... known... as... evermore...

lots of blubies came for me and xeon...

lilly and smokey

wyrm with his own calling card pulled form his corpse to decorate him

wyrm decorated again

random trammy

more vmp down

wish i had more, but this is what i got on webspace already.. Dont feel like going through the 1gb of screens i've got on my HD's..

Lothar LoD

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

whats up lothar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Always good to see you around Troll,
Well I'm working hard on those game design concepts.
8 months to go and i'll be done, can't wait.

I'm really sorry about all those email problem you had because of me heh (all because of a misclick),
Hopefully you FINALLY stopped receiving all our party junk mail!

----

Flusoya : How do you like WoW? I played 15min and thought it was way too much carebearish.
And fix those [censored] screenshots!

G

WoW was ok... The level grind [censored] bites and ya generally carebareish. PvP is sorta fun IF you got a server with active world pvp (bgs are boring), or a decent arena team. On the flip side, UDL plays on the realm I did. Personally I've stopped playing wow though.

Whats wrong with the screenshots? they show for me

G

<blockquote><hr>

Siege probably has one of the more interesting histories. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Major guilds? Major events? Major player-towns/locations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you from napa valley? I played there for quite a while, first in W@R then WtF, I was Shaka.

N

Noxi

Wow, I really wish siege would start being more active again... But honestly I think things are looking up! I know most will of course disagree, but even if the devs arnt helping the game its self, i think that even just with the Sunday tourney now its a very good start! Like just today we had 5 or 6 people for different guilds and factions sitting and dueling like actually civilized people just to practice! And that's good enough of a start from me...

G

I see Perseus of KSS in one of those pics...such a nice guy. He stopped playing not long after I started, but he was fun to talk to, and really enjoyed RP.

-Skylark

Hera - Siege

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Naw, I just quit for the 3rd[ish?] and final time a couple weeks ago. A good friend of mine had my laptop on loan and tried to start a new account, but then decided he didn't want to play if I wasn't, so he gave it all back.

It's just not the same, I spent about a year in WoW and then came back to UO for a couple months, but it just doesn't hold the same appeal. Level grind games suck, so we'll see what happens in the future. I really would like to get back into online poker, I did ok with that and it actually paid me to play.
I might have to open a European bank account...

I didn't get a chance to post the pics I 'think' I have, just moved to a new comp recently so I may not have them anymore, but I think I still have a couple.

Hera - Siege

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heya Fluy!

Funny, I remember Marcus of HT, I gave him a lot of grief on my Thief. When they removed perma-grey he accused me of going out and killing myself to remove it. It was a funny conversation.

-H

C

CorwinWE

I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but here's the thing:

From the beginning: Siege Sucked

It started life too fast. Players duped. Players power gamed. Players exploited. They built characters and gained gold much faster than the devs had hoped to see on the "hard shard", so they made a poll and asked the population if they wanted a shard wipe.

The players voted NO, but for the first but not the last time the players wishes were ignored and the shard was wiped anyway. The shard lost perhaps 3/4 of it's population that day.

What was left was a hardcore lot, that didn't mind taking weeks building characters via ROT *or* found ways to exploit anyway. Many of the players who came to Siege at the time weren't interested in being an anti or being a pk. They were interested in the freedom the shard offered to attack or not attack whoever the wanted. For some it was a chance to role play without limits, for others it was a chance to exercise power and politics. These players generally went red. You could never be sure who would attack who in a fight until you figured out who was who. Many joined the evil/hero system. An "evil" player was red and freely attackable, but if they initiated an attack against an innocent (non-hero) they couldn't loot. As a benefit, evil players could enter town and became blue temporarily. Exploits eventually doomed this rather creative system.

There were very few gold faucets in the early day. Shame and Deceit were the primary gold sources. Surface spawns and other dungeons were fairly poor.

In the early days, OGD allied with FjP and AOD to take control of Shame, while UDL took Deceit. Later AOD was replaced by GC, and eventually OGD left the alliance and DTM was formed. But the key here is that you had a group of experienced power gaming and/or exploiting pks with control of the major gold faucets on the shard, and a lot of less experienced players just trying to make some progress with the ROT system.

What eventually turned the tied was that a number of red and formerly pk guilds joined the antis in what was called the "Pink Alliance", and the battles on the shard grew and the anti's grew in numbers, talent, and organization and with the aid of an IRC chat room called #anti the tide started to turn.

The ultimate destruction of GC seemed destined, but never quite came about as UO:R was released, and about 90% of GC left the shard.

However, with UO:R trammel was released, and Felucca on the regular shards took a quick hit. Things picked up when factions was released, but in the end it failed to hold the interest of the general population.

Siege had seemed pretty sparse and empty back when the original shards hosted upwards of 5000 players every night. At it's peak, Siege had about 400-600 online on a busy night. But Trammel changed all that.

Siege suddenly became a lot more attractive to the pvp'ers and adventurers who were upset by the facet split and the population started to grow again.

The shard's second golden period began.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The players voted NO, but for the first but not the last time the players wishes were ignored and the shard was wiped anyway. The shard lost perhaps 3/4 of it's population that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Myself being one of them.

Good post Corwin, honestly wish I'd stuck around instead of slumming on LS. But coming back with I^A was a reward in and of itself, honestly...

C

CorwinWE

Someone mentioned that pets and tamers weren't soo bad in the early days. Well. One reason was there was a guild named CAT that tried to promote responsible use of pets.

Hahahah, funny funny, right?

Well, not exactly.

Amanda Shade and her cohorts in CAT realized that the spawn system would not re-spawn an animal until it had died or left the sub-server. The stables in the early days were sub-server specific. They merely had to keep their pets on the same sub-server they tamed it on, and no more would spawn.

You couldn't even find a wild horse on the shard, but at least you could buy one for 2000gp. For a while nothing spawned unless a pet that was blocking the spawn was moved to permit it.

Furthermore taming was never ROT and most at the time found it difficult to gain. Nightmares and Dragons would attack reds, which made them unpopular for both red and blues. Wyrms often took a while to tame, and the Ice Dungeon was well traveled by PKs. The guild PTK used to live in the Terathron Keep and attack anyone who tried to tame a nightmare without their permission. The "All kill" command didn't work so dragging around a dozen pets was no simple matter. They tended to wander off randomly if you tried to actually get them all to follow you.

There used to be a brisk business taming pets for others.

There's no simple reason things were the way they were, and no simple change that would fix things.

The changes in mechanics took their toll, and eventually cost Siege it's most prized commodity: a community that could act in the best interests in the shard.

In the early days twinks weren't ignored. They were run off the shard.

G

Abigail Graves "Last Man Standing" event:

KRT Naval Battles Event for WC guilds

KRT Joust Event in old Avalon

KRT Harrower - Big fights!

KRT Promotion Ceremony

KRT and CWS on parade 2003

Birthday party for me! Spring 2003

G

Here is one for you Py...while it may look like an assemblage of the Cult of the Pink Apron to the casual observer, those who were present were happy to give a pixel salute to your new baby girl.

-Skylark

C

CorwinWE

<blockquote><hr>

Nah, it wasn't Corwin. He never contacted SBH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I never contracted any of the various assassin guilds. I preferred to do my own dirty work.

On the other hand, I might have paid for some good old fashioned spying. It was always handy to know which characters were alternates. It was pretty easy to find out too if you had the patience to stake out someone's HQ.

G

RTFFC-

I have read all 6 pages of this and i cant believe there wasnt ONE mention of KoS in any post. I am deeply offended that noone could say at least one thing about us. I am saddened by this..... Nice screens btw. brought back memories.

G

<blockquote><hr>

RTFFC-

I have read all 6 pages of this and i cant believe there wasnt ONE mention of KoS in any post. I am deeply offended that noone could say at least one thing about us. I am saddened by this..... Nice screens btw. brought back memories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no one mentioned my reign of terror either

this board is not so good for my self esteem!!!!

**misses the good ole days**

G

lol..I guess some of have just been forgotten..accidentally or intentionally

G

Aww, I remember both of you guys...I just never stopped to talk to you in game, Trish because when I saw KoS in game, I usually turned the other direction...sensible pacifist reflexes and all that.

*rummages in the forums and takes an item *

For you Dave.

-Skylark

G

RTL:

Check me out! Beggin for a rez from Wyrm...and getting it!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

RTFFC-

[/ QUOTE ]

Trish Shadow! Well I do remember you, and many fine losses against your guild in old Avalon by the Minax fortress! Those memories from my days as a Knight of the Round Table, so very long ago. I liked all the rascals in your guild, good times we had.

*salute*

K

kulssin

<blockquote><hr>

Here is one for you Py...while it may look like an assemblage of the Cult of the Pink Apron to the casual observer, those who were present were happy to give a pixel salute to your new baby girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember this very well.. dare I show pictures of a DQ induced newborn as well? ^^

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

RTFFC-

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember you guys, was a pretty decent group of pvp'ers.

D

Dr.Moves(-F)

Lets see? the time of modern days before the fall of the iron curtain.

I started way back in about.. 2001 till about 2002-pre early 03.

Was a fencer way back then, had tailoring, hiding all set up to about 80-90ish skill where at that time it didnt really matter much. Lets say this was around the time of the summer of Picard. Im sure some might know of captain picard and his co-horts of twinks and rabbletri.

Now that i think about it, it was about 1-2 weeks right before they allowed murderers into town, When i began playing siege again.

When i started out, had not at all any friends on this shard. Couldnt go anywhere, literally without some orc encampment waiting for you out in t2a. OR UND stalking the grounds of yew forest. And factions? The wars existed everywhere.

I remember one time i went to shame, and was fighting some earth elementals inside, when i left it was some huge COM VS BRIT war outside. Died instantly upon leaving the dungeon. that was some of the many epic battles to occur.

Then another week passed by, collected some stuff from looting orcs over by yew, and met this one nice lady who owned a small house about 2 screens away from CWS town. She friended me to her house, with this now capable for me. As the bank box was completely full from just looting armor and gear. I had a new storage house to use.

Pking was rampart from there on then, Heck one day. I logged out in this house, and the owner never really gave me a key. So im hiding in the small house, i think at the time making bandages. Some anti crawles up to house. Opens the door, and kills me inside.

Cause back then, if a murderer was in the house, you couldnt ban, nor could you remove them from the house. And i was unarmed. i think his name was sherlock. or just some other detective/tracker anti out in yew.

died, got ressed and got some bandages along with a force spear that i looted from und. I think, i usually striked blues down when powerhour was about to start. Another lucrative exploitive system that was on siege. Server lines anyone? minoc bucs and im sure there is another one.

Some memories are beginning to come back to me again, siege was one thing. An experience and nothing else you can share from it. Never again can you play another game and feel this. So empty with the new changes now.

I remember my first boat on siege perilous, i killed these 2 people out in trinsic just bandaging and attacking each other. it was along the coastline by trinsic. One guy was carrying about 2k bandages, the other guy had 500 or more and a boat key. Since there isnt no recall on siege, i asked a gm if he could relocate me this boat.

He eventually ports me onto the boat, and low and behold. There's a macro'r on the boat too! just casting spells over and over. Had to re-page a gm to move the ghost off the boat, then eventually dry docked the boat in moonglow. Another scary places to be as a lonely pk with a new boat.

Its all you really needed back then, bandages some potions, and a storage house.

And the days of the federation and my short time spent with picard was a place of imagination never sought forth again.

Battlevortex was siege perilous's only forum at the time that included the most notorious players to ever play siege.

I'll try my best to name off the co-horts of evil and tide.

Corwin
lothar
markus c
khaz durkham
crux whytefire
ruri
Captain Picard
Kurt ice
UDL
UND
ORC
Freja
Dan of fjp
Vaniir
Yoda
Darth
Percivial
Pika
KGB
siponpurpldrink
C8V
Uther
Aswepe
-F-
Flusoya/Tetsujin
Kima
Gara
Dimn Gathalok [khaz's cousin]
Gaston and his guild
AOD
BTH? i never really battled GC or GOD

there's a whole lot more, and i cant seem to remember.
-------------------

The very first day of aos, remember being para ganked by this tamer guild. Literally 5 tamers just para para para para till you died by pets.

Factions? yea 5 warhorses was more deadlier then the BOMBER MAGES.
Exploding potions not only was good for mages, but sick for fencers too.

KRIMP EEM!

Dont know where i am going with this, but anyone remember what was that guy on bv who [censored] talked everyone? Uoplayer? or something like that. Darth being banned from babblevortex.

so distant memories now.

I

imported_Chad Sexington

From someone who hears things about Siege over the years but has never played on Siege... what happened to:

The Shadow Clan Orcs?
The Borg? Is this the same BORG that plays now? I thought all borg were supposed to be named "a borg"
Wasn't there an undead/vampire guild that claimed Deciet?

G

<blockquote><hr>

From someone who hears things about Siege over the years but has never played on Siege... what happened to:

The Shadow Clan Orcs?
The Borg? Is this the same BORG that plays now? I thought all borg were supposed to be named "a borg"
Wasn't there an undead/vampire guild that claimed Deciet?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Shadowclan Orcs diminished under AOS rules. The Way of Items didn't suit their style- some went to WOW, some went to other Ultima lands not managed by EA.

G

Tyrfang marking his territory...

My original siggy from when I was a lone wolf before any guild affiliations:

My yellow Army! When all the shards were down once save Siege, I recruited all the newbies in Britain and Moonglow into a yellow army and marched them on the Orc fort! I had about 30-40 of them at one point, of course, they didn't last long against UND mages...

Building the original Temple of Mithras in Wintermoor:

Anyone remember the VIL quests?

VIL captures Ulath Platius of LDH

KRT hunting party encounters some trouble, but never do they lose heart!

Py Lethius, Centurion, KRT holds the infamous Dagashi for questioning by Felinious and Mordred Darkmane of Wispwood Shire (note the purple llama - the old replacement graphic for beetles for people who felt no desire to upgrade their clients):

C

CorwinWE

Who was the old barkeeper at the Golden Unicorn?

I recall an event once where she was being threatened/kidnapped? by some leader of KSS.

Once I got wind of this, I started making threats of hunting this wretch down and destroying him and anyone who'd dare support him.

Everyone got kinda nervous that I was going to ruin the event and went a bit out of character to try to convince me I should calm down. It was pretty funny.

D

Dr.Moves(-F)

If jetra knightbane still lingers, you can ask her about UND. basically the last living member. They claimed yew lich forests.

As far as i know, borg? pfft. The federation was the first claim of space idiocy on the shard.

Orcs were klingons, and undead we're something else. Cant remember.

Remember the indian guild around safe haven?

using the internet wayback machine.

At one point in time, the largest guild was Shadowclan orcs.
http://web.archive.org/web/20010302022832/town.uo.com/guilds/shard_13.html

trying to look for what time period my guild came into place.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/uo.stratics.com

find it fruitless to continue the search as not everything is archived.

Maybe its not worth to remember what happened on the server, as none of that can be rekindled.

C

CorwinWE

The Rats? Was that a polish group that used to hijack people to the caves underneath bucs den?

What the heck was Dmonkey?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Aww, I remember both of you guys...I just never stopped to talk to you in game, Trish because when I saw KoS in game, I usually turned the other direction...sensible pacifist reflexes and all that.

*rummages in the forums and takes an item *

For you Dave.

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]

&lt;3

G

I normally left crafters alone, especially the ones i saw often that never had a bad word to say, like you and fabi. If i did kill you then it was for the point and always gave a res and never looted

G

DAVE!
Like.. ZOMGS.

What is up man? I haven't seen you in ages.

Oh.. And Siege has too many eras of history.

Yay for the unhonorable mention in being pwned Ruri. Lol.

I kinda miss UO, but meh.

M

Major_Jax

<blockquote><hr>

DAVE!
Like.. ZOMGS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

DAVE!
Like.. ZOMGS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Siege's History contains alot of eras. There is the Pre-AoS and after AoS. Theres been alot of guilds that have risen then fallen that were a major impact on Siege, its economy, and factions. IE: A|B, SUF, REV, RAID, DTA, KoS, CPA, MLP, WAKA, I^A, CWS, KSS, BFI, LoD, -5-, etc... Just to name a few. I can't think of alot of the guilds, but theres tons of them. All having some sort of impact on Siege and such.

M

Major_Jax

I was talking about this part:

Did I mention you or forget to mention you? I don't remeber what I wrote.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I was talking about this part:

Did I mention you or forget to mention you? I don't remeber what I wrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh..

The bounty thing.

G

<blockquote><hr>

DAVE!
Like.. ZOMGS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yo!

thogut i'd check out the state of the game...see if there were any more newbs to piss off...i'm sure i can find some soon.

youstill about??

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

DAVE!
Like.. ZOMGS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yo!

thogut i'd check out the state of the game...see if there were any more newbs to piss off...i'm sure i can find some soon.

youstill about??

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.. I haven't been for a long time now. I'm busy with work and college. Plus I moved upstate and such.

P

prostkr

define upstate? you best not be in my neighborhood, without atleast a call.

G

HELLO MR HAPPY

(rtlfc)

Those screenshots!
The screenshots littering this thread!
Oh, the memories!
I am very happy now. Alas, I am also sad.

Nobody remembers poor, insignificant Pappy Joe and company!

But I remember all of yoooou. &lt;3

And now, Siege, I ask you!
In the age of ****ty new clients and item-whoring PvP...
Where have all the good men gone? The ones who would come to my door to harass me and my fellow pirates/countryfolk? The ones who stood for honor and justice on an enclosed porch where neither existed!

Also, where my Castors at?