• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Auction] Hidden Valley Auctions #75: Rubble

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Ok, the top is updated with the final results. That was maybe the "densest" set of last minute bids I've ever seen, I only hope everyone won at least some of what they thought they did. I know I had to give up bidding just to try and keep up with the lists of bids. :p

Since it seems like more and more everyone bids in the last 10 minute chaos, and auctions are running 30-120 minutes past closing time because of it, If anyone ever comes up with a less chaotic idea on how to avoid sniping other than the 10 minute rule, please let me know. :)

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, the top is updated with the final results. That was maybe the "densest" set of last minute bids I've ever seen, I only hope everyone won at least some of what they thought they did. I know I had to give up bidding just to try and keep up with the lists of bids. :p

Since it seems like more and more everyone bids in the last 10 minute chaos, and auctions are running 30-120 minutes past closing time because of it, If anyone ever comes up with a less chaotic idea on how to avoid sniping other than the 10 minute rule, please let me know. :)
I like the "bid must stand for 24 hours" format sometimes but given the size of the auctions you hold- that may be impossible to keep track of.

The other solution may be to add a new set of rules. As it stands now, your rules for bidding are:

Minimum bid: 100k (unless otherwise specified)

• High bid is lower than 2m: minimum 100k increments
  • High bid is between 2m and 5m: minimum 500k increments
  • High bid is between 5m and 50m: minimum 1m increments
  • High bid is between 50m and 100m: minimum 3m increments
  • High bid is between 100m and 250m: minimum 5m increments
  • High bid is between 250m and 500m: minimum 10m increments
  • High bid is above 500m: minimum 25m increments

However, in the case of 1 hour remaining left in an auction perhaps the increments raise exponentially- to potentially thwart off waiting till last minute? An example would be:

Minimum bid: from 100k to 1m (for anything not already bid on)
  • High bid is lower than 2m: minimum 5m increments
  • High bid is between 2m and 5m: minimum 10m increments
  • High bid is between 5m and 50m: minimum 20m increments
  • High bid is between 50m and 100m: minimum 30m increments
  • High bid is between 100m and 250m: minimum 50m increments
  • High bid is between 250m and 500m: minimum 100m increments
  • High bid is above 500m: minimum 250m increments

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Hmmm, that's an idea I'll think about. The only other 2 options I can think of are 1) the 24 hour rule - I think it'd become a mess quickly, plus that just moves the chaotic bidding to the next day's 9 pm, or 2) an initial 10 minute rule, followed by a longer period (+30 or +60 minutes) for anything which does get rebid in that extra 10 minutes, rather than just continual +10's. I only worry that that pushes the end of some items to the point where people start giving up trying to stay awake to counter that rebid at 29:50 into a +30 min period. Perhaps some combo of increased min raises and a longer additional period might work.

Ducan IronWeaver

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nooooo i forgot about this! =(
Some really nice buys in there, congrats guys and gals..

To anyone who won the wooden palisade wall pieces. If you would like to resell I would pay 5 mil per full wall pc ad 3mil per for half wall pieces

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some great buys Ducan; I missed it too, hehe. I was lucky enough to throw in a winning bid before I left though... but would have loved to have bid on about 15 items there that went super cheap. :) :) Please remember us next time guys! Hehe, yea right... see you guys next time. :) :)

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
What I'm thinking could work is something like this, tell me what you think - note, this is NOT in play for any current auctions, this is just me tossing out an idea:

This would mainly be for the higher end auctions - figure high end birth/seer/EM, rubble, sewn/[ex]/double ex, and foods. For the low end auctions, I'd still run them with just the normal/current 10-minute rule.

Assume the auction is one ending at 9. Starting at 8, though, we go into a progressive cooling off period:
  • If a lot has no bids between 8 and 9, it ends at 9.
  • Starting at 8, new minimums kick in:
    • No reserve stays 100k
    • Lot has a bid, and bid is lower than 2m: minimum 500k increments
    • High bid is between 2m and 5m: minimum 1m increments
    • High bid is between 5m and 50m: minimum 3m increments
    • High bid is between 50m and 100m: minimum 5m increments
    • High bid is between 100m and 500m: minimum 10m increments
    • High bid is above 500m: minimum 25m increments
  • Starting at 8:50, the ten-minute rule kicks in.
  • Starting at 9:00, any lot with a bids with a 9:00 timestamp or later goes into a 24 hour extra period, now ending at 9 pm the following day. The new minimum increments stay in effect during the extra 24 hours.
  • Starting at 8:50 on day 2, the ten-minute rule kicks in again, and we run until bidding stops.
  • Additionally, during any "extra" time period - 10-minute rule or the extra 24 hours - an "honest accident" rule kicks in. Seems like more and more people get bit when we hit the edge of one of the minimum increment transitions. So if we had:
    • Tom bids 235m
    • Jerry bids 240m
    • Tom bids 245m
    • Jerry bids 250m
    • Tom bids 255m
...the way it currently works, Tom thinks he won, while Jerry's just sitting there waiting for the clock to run out, because Tom's 255m bid was invalid. What I'm thinking is that we make it so Jerry actually has to take some action before he wins. [bcolor=#333333]So when Tom bids 255m, if Jerry does nothing, Tom wins.[/bcolor] Jerry (or anyone else who notices) has to post to point out to Tom that that 255m bid is invalid. Regardless how much time is left on the lot, that "heads up" post gives Tom at least 5 minutes to respond and fix his bid. So if we're 1 minute into the ten minute rule, there's still 9 minutes left. If we're 10 seconds away from the end of the 10-minute rule, there's now still 5 minutes left. Plus, Jerry would lose if he didn't post, so there's no reason he should want to wait til the last second to post anyhow. [bcolor=#333333]Now, when Jerry does post a heads up to Tom that +5m was invalid, if Tom still doesn't fix his bid, now when time runs out, it's Jerry who wins, not Tom[/bcolor], because Tom can't honestly say he didn't know his bid didn't hit the minimum increment.​
This all drags things out a bit, but I think it slows things down just enough at the times when it's needed. It gives a good reason for people to post their 50-item bids before 8, so there's time for everyone to figure out what the current bid actually is. That means long before 8:50 kicks in on day 1, you should know pretty well which lots you're worrying about, and what the current bid on them is. You then still have an incentive to get your new bids in before 8:50, to avoid the 10 minute rules, and an extra incentive to get any bids in before 9:00 hits. I figure that'll mean only relatively few lots actually end up with bids between 9 and 9:10 that would open them up for the full extra day.

Thoughts?

panoramix2009

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Minimum bid: from 100k to 1m (for anything not already bid on)
  • High bid is lower than 2m: minimum 5m increments
  • High bid is between 2m and 5m: minimum 10m increments
  • High bid is between 5m and 50m: minimum 20m increments
  • High bid is between 50m and 100m: minimum 30m increments
  • High bid is between 100m and 250m: minimum 50m increments
  • High bid is between 250m and 500m: minimum 100m increments
  • High bid is above 500m: minimum 250m increments
if u change for this i will stop doing bid in auction lol

Jason-

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
What about silent auction?
I'm not sure how to handle the offers but that will lead to a fix ending and no overtime bid wars.
A lot of the silent auctions have had the 10 minute rule as well.

Brian....I kind of like the idea you have proposed. I would just about suggest to try one with no 10 minute rule. Or have the 10 minute rule but don't go past the 1st 10 minutes. That way if someone wanted the item, they would either have to bid their top dollar early on. I know that would make a lot of people angry...but it would solve the problem lol. Force people to go ahead and pay what they are willing to pay for the item before the last minute. It works out like this because we all want to get the item for cheap, so we bid a low amount and we all go back and forth until we get to what the item is actually worth.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Brian....I kind of like the idea you have proposed. I would just about suggest to try one with no 10 minute rule. Or have the 10 minute rule but don't go past the 1st 10 minutes. That way if someone wanted the item, they would either have to bid their top dollar early on. I know that would make a lot of people angry...but it would solve the problem lol. Force people to go ahead and pay what they are willing to pay for the item before the last minute. It works out like this because we all want to get the item for cheap, so we bid a low amount and we all go back and forth until we get to what the item is actually worth.
I hate to say it guys... but I don't see much way to improve the auctions. Snipers will always snipe and people even set their alarm clocks for 7:20 (ending at 8.) To bid early and get something actually, you kind of have to bid market price (how I did that 30m rubble on this one. Those usually sell for 25 but we really wanted it.) Anything else I would have bid on I would not have known until the last 30 minutes kind of, to see where it was at (or who wanted it, were it priced at market prices.) Other than simply putting mid-level to market-level reserves on everything (which would just be selling stuff and not auctioning.) I dunno.... *But* I do like that rule about posting if someone's bid is invalid. There's been 4 items won recently due to invalid bids... so it would be nice if the person who wins *has to post* to the person w/ the invalid bid starting a 5 minute clock (wouldn't do 10 b/c that adds a possibility for abuse.) If he doesn't post that.... then that 1 item stays open an extra hour even (would give incentive to post it + give other bidders time to buy in.) Just my opinions guys... because I absolutely love the auctions atm. I like it cut throat... we all get a chance to meet each other and pvp with our gold bags. :p :p hehe

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's not to any of you guys, I myself won an item about 3-4 weeks ago by a bid that wasn't increased enough (they bid +2 instead of +3.) I messaged Brian, as it was him bidding even.. but I didn't message in enough time... there was only 1-2 minutes left and he didn't have time to see it/type and he just let me win it. Then I also lost an item for that reason... the same auction I think, lol. So that would be a nice change up... kind of a "gentleman's clause" or something instead of us drooling watching the clock (didn't do that, but was very happy I won it regardless.... but things like that probably drive the auctioneers crazy I'm sure... as we would be sad as well were it our items.) Peace guys and waiting for tonight's auctions. :) :)

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor

Much as I wish that would work, all that'd happen is folks would wait til 9:50 into the 10 min rule. :p I'd love to say something like "+10 min only if the bid is increased by x%", but the logistics of that are pretty daunting.

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only thing that I can think of seems like it may be more work for you, Brian. That would be to:

Switch to a blind auction format.
-Each user would send you a private message with bids for any items they are interested in.
-They are only allowed to bid on each item once, and should bid the most they would pay for the item.

After the auction end date, you would work your magic to see who wins each item; but the winner would only pay the proper increment above the second-highest offer.
You would post the winner, what they offered, and what they paid.

It would be much less transparent to the community, but would take care of sniping. I think it would also increase participation but reduce the overall amount of posts/messages.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
In all honesty, of all formats, as a buyer I hate blind auctions the most... They depend so entirely on the auctioneer being trustworthy about bids. That's why I've always required all bids to be public, even so far as re-posting any bids I get via PM or ICQ (and once or twice when I've not seen bids via PM/ICQ til after an auction ended, those got disqualified :p).

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Winner's List

@Arthur
L511. Rubble (Weight: 42 Stones) [hue 0]
L512. Rubble (Weight: 52 Stones) [hue 0]
L517. Rubble [hue 0]
L541. Rubble (Weight: 78 Stones) [hue 0]
L572. Rubble (Weight: 52 Stones) [hue 0]
L593. Rubble (Weight: 60 Stones) [hue 0]
L597. Rubble (Weight: 94 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 36m

@Brian
L509. Rubble (Weight: 92 Stones) [hue 0]
L521. Rubble (Weight: 36 Stones) [hue 0]
L524. Rubble (Weight: 59 Stones) [hue 0]
L525. Rubble (Weight: 27 Stones) [hue 0]
L527. Rubble (Weight: 66 Stones) [hue 0]
L528. Rubble (Weight: 93 Stones) [hue 0]
L529. Rubble (Weight: 94 Stones) [hue 0]
L539. Rubble (Weight: 52 Stones) [hue 0]
L567. Rubble (Weight: 89 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 47m

@Corum/Genghis
L577. Rubble (Weight: 54 Stones) [hue 0]
L591. Rubble (Weight: 25 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 4m

@Haidon
L534. Rubble (Weight: 58 Stones) [hue 0]
L540. Rubble (Weight: 56 Stones) [hue 0]
L586. Rubble (Weight: 14 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 0.9m

@Happy Meal
L514. Rubble (Weight: 54 Stones) [hue 0]
L518. Rubble (Weight: 39 Stones) [hue 0]
L535. Rubble (Weight: 67 Stones) [hue 0]
L544. Rubble (Weight: 41 Stones) [hue 0]
L569. Rubble (Weight: 46 Stones) [hue 0]
L575. Rubble (Weight: 46 Stones) [hue 0]
L576. Rubble (Weight: 100 Stones) [hue 0]
L589. Rubble (Weight: 27 Stones) [hue 0]
L594. Rubble (Weight: 28 Stones) [hue 0]
L599. Rubble [hue 0]
L600. Rubble [hue 0]
Total: 158.4m

@Jason-
L542. Rubble (Weight: 44 Stones) [hue 0]
L549. Rubble [hue 0]
L563. Rubble (Weight: 63 Stones) [hue 0]
L571. Rubble (Weight: 76 Stones) [hue 0]
L565. Rubble (Weight: 77 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 145m

@Kingshore Dad
L502. Rubble (Weight: 25 Stones) [hue 0]
L503. Rubble (Weight: 70 Stones) [hue 0]
L504. Rubble (Weight: 26 Stones) [hue 0]
L505. Rubble [hue 0]
L506. Rubble (Weight: 85 Stones) [hue 0]
L516. Rubble (Weight: 52 Stones) [hue 0]
L530. Rubble (Weight: 92 Stones) [hue 0]
L531. Rubble (Weight: 51 Stones) [hue 0]
L561. Rubble (Weight: 27 Stones) [hue 0]
L568. Rubble (Weight: 54 Stones) [hue 0]
L579. Rubble (Weight: 83 Stones) [hue 0]
L585. Rubble (Weight: 91 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 75m

@Merus
L513. Rubble (Weight: 36 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 10m

@MeTheGreat
L522. Rubble (Weight: 28 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 3m

@MrUber
L536. Rubble [hue 0]
L537. Rubble [hue 0]
L538. Rubble [hue 985]
Total: 120m

@Odin Firefly
L526. Rubble (Weight: 55 Stones) [hue 0]
L583. Rubble (Weight: 56 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 36m

@panoramix2009
L515. Rubble (Weight: 34 Stones) [hue 0]
L519. Rubble (Weight: 93 Stones) [hue 0]
L523. Rubble (Weight: 76 Stones) [hue 0]
L550. Rubble (Weight: 50 Stones) [hue 0]
L564. Rubble (Weight: 25 Stones) [hue 0]
L580. Rubble (Weight: 51 Stones) [hue 0]
L584. Rubble (Weight: 29 Stones) [hue 0]
L587. Rubble (Weight: 66 Stones) [hue 1175]
L588. Rubble (Weight: 95 Stones) [hue 1175]
L592. Rubble (Weight: 52 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 30.7m

@Polaris75
L520. Rubble (Weight: 92 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 30m

@Regnarhannavasym
L573. Rubble (Weight: 48 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 120m

@Restless
L507. Rubble (Weight: 100 Stones) [hue 0]
L508. Rubble (Weight: 60 Stones) [hue 0]
L532. Rubble (Weight: 38 Stones) [hue 0]
L543. Rubble (Weight: 34 Stones) [hue 0]
L545. Rubble (Weight: 55 Stones) [hue 0]
L546. Rubble (Weight: 26 Stones) [hue 0]
L547. Rubble (Weight: 74 Stones) [hue 0]
L548. Rubble (Weight: 77 Stones) [hue 0]
L552. Rubble (Weight: 27 Stones) [hue 0]
L553. Rubble (Weight: 39 Stones) [hue 0]
L554. Rubble (Weight: 42 Stones) [hue 0]
L555. Rubble (Weight: 55 Stones) [hue 0]
L556. Rubble (Weight: 68 Stones) [hue 0]
L557. Rubble (Weight: 74 Stones) [hue 0]
L558. Rubble (Weight: 82 Stones) [hue 0]
L559. Rubble (Weight: 85 Stones) [hue 0]
L560. Rubble (Weight: 30 Stones) [hue 0]
L562. Rubble (Weight: 66 Stones) [hue 0]
L581. Rubble (Weight: 63 Stones) [hue 0]
L590. Rubble (Weight: 38 Stones) [hue 0]
L598. Rubble (Weight: 61 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 32.8m

@Shiranui Renn
L501. Rubble (Weight: 49 Stones) [hue 0]
L510. Rubble (Weight: 100 Stones) [hue 0]
L533. Rubble (Weight: 72 Stones) [hue 0]
L566. Rubble (Weight: 35 Stones) [hue 0]
L570. Rubble (Weight: 73 Stones) [hue 0]
L574. Rubble (Weight: 47 Stones) [hue 1175]
L578. Rubble (Weight: 76 Stones) [hue 1175]
L582. Rubble (Weight: 47 Stones) [hue 0]
L595. Rubble (Weight: 86 Stones) [hue 0]

Total: 1.8m

@Sinder Shayde
L551. Rubble (Weight: 53 Stones) [hue 0]
L596. Rubble (Weight: 35 Stones) [hue 0]
Total: 10m

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
@Herman I'm not sure how it would benefit sellers (or bidders) to have a maximum number of bids allowed per item...

Princess Zora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@BrianFreud
I have an Idea similar Kingshore Dad and it could prevent of Snipers at the end to expand the Auction with Peanuts Bids to an neverending Story.
Whats about a Limit to Bid Increments.
As an Example:
0-1m = 5 Times all 24 Hours for each Bidder
1m - 5m Bids = 5 Times all 24 Hours for each Bidder
5m - 10m = 10 Times all 24 Hours for each Bidder
10m and more unlimited Bids
Included a 5 or 10 minutes Rule after the last Bid at the end.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Problem with such Systems like max bids is the usability.

Brian would have to count these also which only raises the work for him.

And with these New 1x all 24h bump crap rule this getting nuts.

Auction safe could be also an idea.
Ofc he would need a house and a bunch of Safes. This would at least make the work easier for him.
And it would keep this some Kind of ingame thing.

Downside. Also its ingame.
Huge benefit. Less work for him as there is no need for 10m rule checks keeping stuff up to date. And so on.