• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Going AFK

• Thread starter imported_Shirl1211
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

<blockquote><hr>

Even if it was, are you generalizing that the wrongs of one American website portray the entire country? Shouldn't really matter if his comparison was in fact an American one...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm certainly not.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

The point is this:
YOU are not the one to tell anybody what the problems are.
YOU are not the one to suggest fixes/work-arounds/solutions.
YOU are not entitled to take a self-righteous stand against any of the problems that plague the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have as much right to as anyone else, whether you like it or not.

As for comparing this to the Prince Harry thing... wasn't that web site american? You really are getting desperate aren't you?

[/ QUOTE ]
In case you missed it - I DON'T like it. You use your status as a subscriber (you ARE still paying, yes?) to claim the right to sabotage the game with your insincere "concern".

I have no idea the nationality of the website in question, nor does it matter what the political affiliation is (in case you bring THAT up). The point was that sometimes your "rights" can seriously interfere with someone else's rights - in this case, the right of Prince Harry to go on living.
It seems to me that trying to deflect the point of the analogy with a stab at my country is the real desperation.

G

As much as it would be nice to talk about Prince Harry, unless he's running a store in game and is apparently afk while doing so, then he probably hasn't really got much to do with this discussion.

Polly

D

dinaj

I do not see this as an American issue, I see this as someone doing something wrong, be they Ameican, British, Chinese etc... There is NO desperation in that statement just fact.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I do not see this as an American issue, I see this as someone doing something wrong, be they Ameican, British, Chinese etc... There is NO desperation in that statement just fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.. no matter what your country of residence is, overriding timeout to keep a store open all day always has been, currently is, and will be until EA change the rules, considered cheating by pretty much everyone who has more integrity than to cheat.

D

dinaj

I have as much right as anyone to be here and voice my opinion, sorry. I was in "EA Land" for about an hour just earlier today, so that gives me the right.

Logging in for an hour makes you an expert on the state of the game?

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

ttl

The game is changing, money objects are no longer an option to use while keeping a store open and people have been saying for years that it is completely boring to sit in a store, doing nothing on the offchance that someone might stop by. The sooner we get the ability to have a second property that can be open 24/7 without us needing to be there, the better in my opinion.

I'd much prefer to see a list of what is open, rather then a list by visitor hours, especially in a store category. The number of visitor hours doesn't mean zip when you're looking for something small that can no longer be found in the catalogue at home.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

Polly, Thank you for your post since it details the very things that most of us have been TRYING to say here. I doubt very much that the jugde and jury will bash you for your comment. I realize we all have a right to our opinions and that's all it is, our personal thoughts on things in the game. It doesn't make anyone one of us right or wrong. I'm sorry I even made this post. It was mostly due to always playing this game with respect for others and without any foul play to bring success to myself but failing because of someone elses deliberate foul play. Now I am deemed as a cheater and I have been personally attacked for writing a post out of frustration.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Logging in for an hour makes you an expert on the state of the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I logged in for an hour EARLIER. I didn't list the other times I had been logged in during recent days or weeks.

As I said earlier, although many things have changed, people cheating has not, and as someone who has spent a lot of time over the last 5 years playing fairly and dealing with those who refuse to, I am fairly well experienced in searching out, confirming, and busting cheaters - something which I have never hidden either.

There are many aspects to the 'new game' that I am not familiar with - I haven't looked at custom content yet, for example - but that doesn't make me any 'less of a player' than anyone else.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This isn't the time for benevolence and beating around the bush. This is a time for brutal honesty, taking the bull by the horns and making sure the past does not repeat itself. It seems to me that you are allowing your known distaste for AJ to make you dismiss anything he says out of hand, whether he actually has a point, or not. Don't do that.

[/ QUOTE ]I totally agree!

Donavan: You and I have had our fundamental differences over the years. Hell, great wars of wit and logic have been waged between us in this very forum! But yet, you and I still respect each other. Please do the same for AJ.

I don't necessarily agree with his view on the AFK situation; it could very well be I've become jaded and have learned to accept AFK gameplay as "here to stay". But I do agree with one thing: Cheaters are not cool, no matter what the cheat is. To me, loading up a lot with zombies, exploiting a game feature, and circumventing timeout are no less admonishable than running bots.

With that said, I'm not draconian enough to suggest that everyone who overrides timeout should be banned from the game. I acknowledge it is wrong, but leaving a sim to skill unattended or leaving a store open until he or she drops is a petty issue in the grand scheme of things. I would personally like to call their moral values into question, but since they are not really harming anyone, I'd rather the timeout feature be removed than criminalize this group.

MY biggest complaint regarding the AFK issue is against those who go above and beyond simply circumventing timeout; those who knowingly abuse an exploit in the game in order to get ahead of their competition are reprehensible creatures as far as I am concerned. To that end, I refuse to do business at any store that employs such tactics, and categorically refuse to enter stores that are in the top 10 or appear to have artificially-inflated hours unless I personally know the sim and know that he or she does not resort to such means.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

The point is this:
YOU are not the one to tell anybody what the problems are.
YOU are not the one to suggest fixes/work-arounds/solutions.
YOU are not entitled to take a self-righteous stand against any of the problems that plague the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have as much right to as anyone else, whether you like it or not.

As for comparing this to the Prince Harry thing... wasn't that web site american? You really are getting desperate aren't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

And who are YOU, Donavan to be the dictator to say who is entitled to what? Answer: NOBODY. You are no more in a position to be self-righteous as anybody else, especially since you have not been here for the entire length of the game, never lapsing in payment either, so this is nothing more than a highschool jock fight. I expect any moment to see people whipping out something that nobody but your spouses/significant others want to see, ffs.

G

<blockquote><hr>

especially since you have not been here for the entire length of the game, never lapsing in payment either, so this is nothing more than a highschool jock fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to jump in here (again). You're right. Neither of their opinions means more than the other. However, I take extreme offense in your above comment. Being a paying subscriber for the entire length of the game should not dictate the value of somebody's opinion, as your statement so clearly implies.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

especially since you have not been here for the entire length of the game, never lapsing in payment either, so this is nothing more than a highschool jock fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to jump in here (again). You're right. Neither of their opinions means more than the other. However, I take extreme offense in your above comment. Being a paying subscriber for the entire length of the game should not dictate the value of somebody's opinion, as your statement so clearly implies.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's not the point I was trying to make. Donavan was trying to degrade AJ's opinion because he is a returning player, and had missed the fact that players no longer get a visitor bonus, so he implied that AJ wasn't paying attention. But Donavan hasn't been here the entire time either, but has been back longer....either way, since Donavan hasn't been totally consistent either, he's in no position to devalue anybody's opinion based on that fact. For the record I haven't been paying for the entire 5 years either, though I stayed around on the boards when I was on my hiatus for the game, so I would not consider *MYSELF* qualified to make such a degradation, either.

G

Thanks for clarifying. I clearly jumped the gun with my last post, and I agree that nobody has the right to dictate the value of another players opinion purely based on subscription/playing time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

For the record I haven't been paying for the entire 5 years either, though I stayed around on the boards when I was on my hiatus for the game, so I would not consider *MYSELF* qualified to make such a degradation, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that any of us 'old timers' are still here - whether continually or returning, is sufficient enough to show our concern and desire for things to be "done right" this time around, where we are able to express an opinion on something that we feel either is wrong, or could be done better.

Personally, I find that playing other games, and being able to see how other companies cope with some of the issues raised in these threads, is actually a great benefit overall, because we can share things that perhaps 'tptb' are not aware of - rather than "disloyalty to TSO".

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

For the record I haven't been paying for the entire 5 years either, though I stayed around on the boards when I was on my hiatus for the game, so I would not consider *MYSELF* qualified to make such a degradation, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that any of us 'old timers' are still here - whether continually or returning, is sufficient enough to show our concern and desire for things to be "done right" this time around, where we are able to express an opinion on something that we feel either is wrong, or could be done better.

Personally, I find that playing other games, and being able to see how other companies cope with some of the issues raised in these threads, is actually a great benefit overall, because we can share things that perhaps 'tptb' are not aware of - rather than "disloyalty to TSO".

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes constructive criticism is mistaken for disloyalty...but even in RL there's a such a thing as 'tough love'. If you love somebody, or a game, sometimes you have to tell them, or the people that run the game, when they are screwing up. If I had a friend, and saw them driving directly toward a brick wall, or a cliff and I didn't at least try to shout "HEY STOP!" when they died I'd consider myself a pretty crappy friend. Same goes for this game.....when/if the time ever comes that we get that 90 day notice, we as the loyal players need to know that we did everything in our power to make it succeed, and that if it doesn't suceed it will be cause TPTB didn't listen, not beacause we knew something was gonna backfire and didn't say anything. Condoning cheating.....*ANY* cheating, is gonna be one of those things, especially since the whole reason we're all starting over is to do things RIGHT this time around.

I

imported_fajjaa

Tagging Katheryne in order to stay out of the line of fire.

We all know that AFK ing, has been a part of the game ever since they invented the keyboard and the paper weight. According to the dev team, arent stores eventually going to have the option of NPC helpers to keep the stores open. All that will be left to complain about will be AFK skillers and those cheaters that hide stuff from the poor ole maid and repair dude, if you didnt have anything to clean or repair, you would stand around and scratch too, wondering why you are still here. If AFK is cheating, then so is the abuse of keeping a maid and repairman on the property. Its all a little childish but part of the game... until the AFK ing is in control of multiple sims, in which overriding the enter button does no good. Which puts this in the category of running bots, and those are supposedly being looked at by the dev team.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If AFK is cheating, then so is the abuse of keeping a maid and repairman on the property.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, of all the thigns you could have picked you pick the *abuse* of <font color="red"> NPCs</font> that do more scratching of their arses than actual working when their around anyway? Thanks for the laugh, it relieved the tension, but no, that's not abuse, that's getting what you pay for cuz the hours they work 'free' on the lot while they aren't officially on the clock make up for all the delays and gatherings of butt boogers that they do. When a kid doesn't do their homework, sometimes they get detention after school. Such is life.
Thanks, I needed this

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's not the point I was trying to make. Donavan was trying to degrade AJ's opinion because he is a returning player, and had missed the fact that players no longer get a visitor bonus, so he implied that AJ wasn't paying attention. But Donavan hasn't been here the entire time either, but has been back longer....either way, since Donavan hasn't been totally consistent either, he's in no position to devalue anybody's opinion based on that fact. For the record I haven't been paying for the entire 5 years either, though I stayed around on the boards when I was on my hiatus for the game, so I would not consider *MYSELF* qualified to make such a degradation, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I have to laugh when I read your attacks against Donavan in defense of AJ if he really made crude comments about TSO/Ea Land. Just where do your loyalties lie? Are you voicing opinion or are you just looking for someone to argue with? IMO I find it hypocritical to go on and on and on about cheating (which is the only thing I agree with you on BTW) and then defend someone who has clearly turned his back on this game and sit here and advertise for another game.
I find that in very bad taste. And I think that AJ and Donavan can work out thier own disagreements without you tearing into Donavan. Futher more, what difference does it make if one person has been a subscriber longer then the other? Is there a rule against this as well?

G

<blockquote><hr>

IMO I find it hypocritical to go on and on and on about cheating (which is the only thing I agree with you on BTW) and then defend someone who has clearly turned his back on this game and sit here and advertise for another game. I find that in very bad taste.

[/ QUOTE ]
So am I not allowed to play any other online games, ever? I really don't understand why it's a problem to you or others who have mentioned it. Just because I'm playing Second Life at the moment (and World of Warcraft, not that it's really anyone's business) doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be a 'returning player' and be in TSO - albeit in a small manner - as well. After all, I - along with thousands of others - got that personal begging email from Luc asking us to come back and try the 'new look' EA-Land so if you want to blame someone for me being here, blame him

<blockquote><hr>

And why can't AJ and Donavan fight thier own battles without you butting in?

[/ QUOTE ]I certainly don't need anyone to "fight my battles" for me, it happens that people that are agreeing with me are saying so - yet you don't mention those who have come into the thread just to disagree with me and then leave again. Anyone can reply to any post in any thread on this forum - thats what it's here for.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

LOL. I have to laugh when I read your attacks against Donavan in defense of AJ if he really made crude comments about TSO/Ea Land. Just where do your loyalties lie? Are you voicing opinion or are you just looking for someone to argue with? IMO I find it hypocritical to go on and on and on about cheating (which is the only thing I agree with you on BTW) and then defend someone who has clearly turned his back on this game and sit here and advertise for another game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your opinion, but that is not the truth. Yes, AJ compares TSO to SL, and always has, this is nothing new, but he has not turned his back on the game, as proven by the fact that he reactivated his account though the way he's being treated I would not blame him if he did walk away, not from the game but from the bs that is leveled at ANYBODY here that dares tell it like it is.

<blockquote><hr>

I find that in very bad taste. And I think that AJ and Donavan can work out thier own disagreements without you tearing into Donavan. Futher more, what difference does it make if one person has been a subscriber longer then the other? Is there a rule against this as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post to Sindran, I did not say that it mattered, I said clearly that it did not matter. It was Donavan that threw that in AJ's face, as if taking a break from the game was a crime. So that comment should be directed at him, not me. Reading comprehension really helps in reading the long discussions.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your opinion, but that is not the truth. Yes, AJ compares TSO to SL, and always has, this is nothing new, but he has not turned his back on the game, as proven by the fact that he reactivated his account though the way he's being treated I would not blame him if he did walk away, not from the game but from the bs that is leveled at ANYBODY here that dares tell it like it is.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post to Sindran, I did not say that it mattered, I said clearly that it did not matter. It was Donavan that threw that in AJ's face, as if taking a break from the game was a crime. So that comment should be directed at him, not me. Reading comprehension really helps in reading the long discussions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Follow the rules. Personal attacks and comments are forbidden in stractics and you should know this since you seem to keep yourself so thorouthly updated on rules and regulations. And I read them all and I don't need to be a language art major to figure out what you say or imply.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

This isn't the time for benevolence and beating around the bush. This is a time for brutal honesty, taking the bull by the horns and making sure the past does not repeat itself. It seems to me that you are allowing your known distaste for AJ to make you dismiss anything he says out of hand, whether he actually has a point, or not. Don't do that.

[/ QUOTE ]I totally agree!

Donavan: You and I have had our fundamental differences over the years. Hell, great wars of wit and logic have been waged between us in this very forum! But yet, you and I still respect each other. Please do the same for AJ.

I don't necessarily agree with his view on the AFK situation; it could very well be I've become jaded and have learned to accept AFK gameplay as "here to stay". But I do agree with one thing: Cheaters are not cool, no matter what the cheat is. To me, loading up a lot with zombies, exploiting a game feature, and circumventing timeout are no less admonishable than running bots.

With that said, I'm not draconian enough to suggest that everyone who overrides timeout should be banned from the game. I acknowledge it is wrong, but leaving a sim to skill unattended or leaving a store open until he or she drops is a petty issue in the grand scheme of things. I would personally like to call their moral values into question, but since they are not really harming anyone, I'd rather the timeout feature be removed than criminalize this group.

MY biggest complaint regarding the AFK issue is against those who go above and beyond simply circumventing timeout; those who knowingly abuse an exploit in the game in order to get ahead of their competition are reprehensible creatures as far as I am concerned. To that end, I refuse to do business at any store that employs such tactics, and categorically refuse to enter stores that are in the top 10 or appear to have artificially-inflated hours unless I personally know the sim and know that he or she does not resort to such means.

[/ QUOTE ]
Understand this:
How I personally feel about another poster does not necessarily reflect how I feel about their opinion - I can dislike someone and still agree with the gist of what they are saying, and vice-versa.
Personal animosity had nothing to do with my replies to the poster in question, and "respect" is not something I am denying him as much as it is something he threw away. Rather, my replies were aimed at the poster's motivation, given his posting history.
Beyond that, I'm at a loss to figure out a way to explain it any further, in a way that will not get me suspended.
If you would like to grant me a temporary immunity from certain forum rules, I would be happy to elaborate.

On topic:
Prior to EA Land, I was against long term AFK in stores - especially if accomplished thru the use of bots or otherwise disabling the time-out feature.
Now, however, the catalogue has been gutted and many necessary items are ONLY obtainable in stores. If there are no stores open, game experience declines. I, for one, don't want my game screwed up for want of some stupid little bauble. "For want of a nail, the horse was lost..., etc."
So, in my opinion, long term AFK store owners are not just acceptable, they are necessary, and the devs should devise a so-called "legal" means for them to stay open so everyone will get off their backs.
The "list" is a different story. It no longer serves a purpose to the game in general, and in fact, is detrimental, in that a "phone book" type of listing would better serve the majority, and also, it encourages the phoney 'visitors-in-hiding' which doesn't do anything for the game in general except fuel forum wars.

C

calvinscreeksim

<blockquote><hr>

So, in my opinion, long term AFK store owners are not just acceptable, they are necessary, and the devs should devise a so-called "legal" means for them to stay open so everyone will get off their backs.
The "list" is a different story. It no longer serves a purpose to the game in general, and in fact, is detrimental, in that a "phone book" type of listing would better serve the majority, and also, it encourages the phoney 'visitors-in-hiding' which doesn't do anything for the game in general except fuel forum wars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but just throwing something out there...if there *must* be a top list why not stick an EA owned store lot that runs by EA members be at the #1 position always and forever.

Also, yes the list is the biggest problem out of everything because people are buying the bots to override the time with their 20 accounts just so they can say they are #1. IMO getting rid of the list will result in less anger about people going AFK to take naps, buying their kids cheesepuffs, and watching TV. The devs could at least try it out for a bit and see how the reaction goes. Of course the top stores that run their bots, if they do at all, will squeal about it but oh well.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As usual, your imagination completely overwrites what your eyes read.
I did not say taking a break from the game was an issue.
Try again, only this time, do it s l o w l y.
You might also notice that I didn't stutter when I posted my opinion of why he came back.
<blockquote><hr>

the bs that is leveled at ANYBODY here that dares tell it like it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and I wish you would stop doing it.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but just throwing something out there...if there *must* be a top list why not stick an EA owned store lot that runs by EA members be at the #1 position always and forever.

Also, yes the list is the biggest problem out of everything because people are buying the bots to override the time with their 20 accounts just so they can say they are #1. IMO getting rid of the list will result in less anger about people going AFK to take naps, buying their kids cheesepuffs, and watching TV. The devs could at least try it out for a bit and see how the reaction goes. Of course the top stores that run their bots, if they do at all, will squeal about it but oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100%. It would surely remove me from this thread, but most importantly, it would help the small stores regain the business that they rightfully deserve. For example CntryGrl, she makes fabulous custom content but nobody would know this unless you know her personally or click on the content viewer which is what I did. It's a shame that we are missing out on so many nice things due to the competition we are up against.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell you what, if you'll stop the personal attacks, then I'll stop the defending, very happily in fact. But if you think I'm gonna let you sit on your pedestal and look down on others, all the while spouting that other people are doing the very same thing, you're wrong. If you can remain respectful in debating even when you disagree with someone's opinion, then fabulous....more power to you to have that opposing opinion and disagree with it. You got leveled by me because, whether consciously or subconsciously who knows, you didn't attack AJ's points, you attacked him, plain and simple. Whether or not you intended to isn't the issue, that's the way it came across.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell you what, if you'll stop the personal attacks, then I'll stop the defending, very happily in fact. But if you think I'm gonna let you sit on your pedestal and look down on others, all the while spouting that other people are doing the very same thing, you're wrong. If you can remain respectful in debating even when you disagree with someone's opinion, then fabulous....more power to you to have that opposing opinion and disagree with it. You got leveled by me because, whether consciously or subconsciously who knows, you didn't attack AJ's points, you attacked him, plain and simple. Whether or not you intended to isn't the issue, that's the way it came across.

[/ QUOTE ]
You? Level me?
And here I thot you didn't have the capacity to make me smile.

Personally, I don't care if you stop defending him or not. That's between you and him.

I

imported_fajjaa

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, when TC3 first opened, the top 100 list was not working. I think everyone actually got use to it not being available, so I dont think it would be too much of a shock if it were to vanish once again. And true, without the top 100 list, we would be hearing from the other side of the fence.

And also, remember...included with those that have not been playing or paying the full five year length of the game are 98% of the dev team. So I would not put too much emphasis on the experience my 5 plus years in the game has earned me. At the moment, I am willing to ride along with the new blood the dev team is giving to the game.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

OMG....LMAO....seems like forever since you've given me a good slap down!! Where you been?

[/ QUOTE ]

Second Life
But curiousity + free play has bought me back to have a look and see what's going to happen. TSO was my first online game, after all, and I do still have a bit of a soft spot for its retro cuteness and simplicity - even if we never did get the anniversary gifts we should have.

It makes sense to have a 'hireable' NPC like the repair man/maid/gardener (possibly with some AI to greet people, potter around and tend to stuff, although not giving visitor hours) to keep the store open for people that want to - firstly it removes the "need" to cheat by overriding timeout, secondly it's a money drain which enhances their goal of making us buy real money to continue to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just curious. Are you a paid subscriber?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'm just curious. Are you a paid subscriber?

[/ QUOTE ]At this moment in time, no I am not. I neither have the time nor inclination to throw money at EA until it can be proven to me that what they are trying is working.

All this current messing around is 'beta testing'. It is fairly standard practice throughout the computer industry that people giving their time and effort to help test a new product are not only given free access but often rewarded in some way (such as the founder's flag) so I feel absolutely no guilt in taking advantage of the free play that is offered, in the hope of encouraging people to come back and become fully paid up subscribers.

To be able to afford to subscribe to TSO again, I would have to cut down on one of my other 'luxury items' in my monthly budget, and right now what is being offered does not appeal sufficiently to do that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

At this moment in time, no I am not. I neither have the time nor inclination to throw money at EA until it can be proven to me that what they are trying is working.

[/ QUOTE ]Regardless of how you may feel about the game's current status, its stability, and with gameplay elements being in a state of flux, there are a few things going on that pretty well prove that what they are trying is working:

<blockquote>[*]There are an unprecedented number of newbies in the game. I'm talking don't-even-know-what-CTRL-H-is newbies. I'm not making that up, either - I was in a house a couple of weeks ago explaining the game to one newbie at a house. As soon as I mentioned CTRL-H, I could just about see half the eyes in that room light up, as if half the lot's occupants just discovered the Room Chat window for the very first time!

[*]There are a good number of former players returning to the game. Perhaps not as many as I'd like, but they're out there.

[*]We are clearly and consistently overwhelming the game's servers - servers that had been more than adequate for the last several years are suddenly being brought to their knees by the increased traffic. According to Lee, there were over 1300 people logged in at one point of time earlier today, and I don't think that was the high point of the day either! For the first time since "N&amp;I", they are having to requisition new, bigger, faster servers in greater numbers than at any point of time since N&amp;I.

[*]It is practically unheard of for someone to be all alone on a MOMI job lot - particularly for the lower levels!</blockquote>
If that doesn't say that what they're trying is working, then I have no idea what does!

G

<blockquote><hr>

If that doesn't say that what they're trying is working, then I have no idea what does!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could just be idle curiousity. It'll depend what happens in 3 or 6 months time, whether these people convert to paying memberships or not.

In the time it's been around, Second Life has had about 15 million signups. However, at peak time, only around 60k people can be seen online - thats 0.004% if my maths are correct. Many of those 60k are 'free' accounts that can do pretty much anything except own land (you can still rent from another player, however).

I'd be interested to find out how many of the people signed in to TSO are actually paying subscribers, and how many are here on freebies just having a look round following Luc's recent mass mailout - although, of course, EA have never been very forthcoming with those kind of stats before.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if 100,000 people are online in TSO - if only 36 of those are actually paying subscriptions, EA doesn't get the income it wants/needs, and regardless of how much people might be enjoying the 'new new new and improved revised version', the powers that be WILL close it down.

Everyone has their 'limit' here as to what makes TSO worth paying to play. Right now, it hasn't reached that level again for me, but I accept it has for many others. But there are also many curious returners like me.

I'm not sure "CTRL H" is necesarily a great indicator of someone's experience... if they haven't been here for 3 years they might just have forgotten it, instead of being 'genuine wet behind the ears noobies'.

Short term, I would agree with you that if getting people back into playing TSO again was their aim, then yes they have succeeded. But as someone famous once said, "a war is not won on the basis of one battle". There are many more to go before EA can say that their project overall was a success.

Incidently, there's several threads over on the official Second Life forums about TSO, and a lot of people there have been saying that they are ex-TSOers and have come back to give it a go on a free account. Many people there still hold a soft spot for TSO, having left here for there, and I've come across a 'pizza' game someone made. I'm not sure that people are going to be leaving in droves to come back - but a lot of people (like myself) may well be spending time playing both.

Most of my TSO time for now is going to be afk skilling so I can try and get some money together - plus I'm very busy with a 3 region build job in SL, and as my client is paying me $4,000 for the work, that's slightly more appealing than making jam right now

I

imported_Shirl1211

When SL came out, and I don't remember exactly when that was, a friend of mine from TSO went to try it out. She IM'd me shortly after that and was saying "you really have to go and try this game out" I ask her to elaborate and her biggest thrill of the game was the graphic sexual interactions. She told me that the Love beds from TSO we're a joke compared to SL. That threw me back about 20 yards since she also use to share with me the names of sims she use to cyber with. I can't confirm this as fact since I never had the desire to try the game after that but if it's true, then for myself I think I made a wise decision. Another gal I use to roomie with told me similar things about SL. Is this true about that game or am I confusing it with another game?

I

imported_Spaghetti Legs

<blockquote><hr>

When SL came out, and I don't remember exactly when that was, a friend of mine from TSO went to try it out. She IM'd me shortly after that and was saying "you really have to go and try this game out" I ask her to elaborate and her biggest thrill of the game was the graphic sexual interactions. She told me that the Love beds from TSO we're a joke compared to SL. That threw me back about 20 yards since she also use to share with me the names of sims she use to cyber with. I can't confirm this as fact since I never had the desire to try the game after that but if it's true, then for myself I think I made a wise decision. Another gal I use to roomie with told me similar things about SL. Is this true about that game or am I confusing it with another game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, if you wish to discuss Second Life as a separate topic, just start a thread in the How's Life forum. This thread is about "Going AFK". Thanks!

Legs

G

&lt;-- Agrees with beeing able to go afk... the way EA land is now with payouts an no prop bonus .... Plus People do have a RL an wanna be nice to them other sims that are still playin an let them still be a ble to go to there store.. or even going afk at a resident lot... the new players on the "free" accounts cant go to many places .. I go afk all the time there an give them "new" people a chance at seeing wat TSO is like an not gettting mad cause they cant land some where an leaving the game ..

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, if you wish to discuss Second Life as a separate topic, just start a thread in the How's Life forum. This thread is about "Going AFK". Thanks!

Legs

[/ QUOTE ]

Oppps. I'm sorry. It won't happen again.

B

bitbok

Hi, I just wanted to say I have a store. I have noticed people getting ruder and ruder everytime I play is it just me? They land and start yelling in all caps " Your prices are too high". Or I Need a Discount Now!! It's irritating. I tell them i am AFK even when I can sit and watch the store my ban list is growing and it makes me feel bad

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hi, I just wanted to say I have a store. I have noticed people getting ruder and ruder everytime I play is it just me? They land and start yelling in all caps " Your prices are too high". Or I Need a Discount Now!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately as payouts on job objects are lower, nobody (or at least very few) are offering "bonus" (ie bribe) payments to artificially increase their visitor hours, and with the emphasis on paying real money for game money, this is going to happen as more and more people want something for nothing.

Most store owners in the 'old game' used to have their prices as low as they could get them - in some cases at the highest discount price they could get, or even making a small loss on some items, because money wasn't so much of an issue. Now it is, I fear your story is going to become all too familiar.

N

NightFlyer

TTL

One simple solution to problem of storeowners hiding multitudes of alts for hours is to disable the hide and seek feature on store lots.

G

That is a very good idea. Is it possible to lower the 'away' time to something lower than 5 mins? Say 2 mins in the stores?

G

<blockquote><hr>

One simple solution to problem of storeowners hiding multitudes of alts for hours is to disable the hide and seek feature on store lots.

[/ QUOTE ]It's such an obvious idea... EA would never do it. It's been suggested and ignored several times though.

To be honest, the 'hide' feature probably does more damage than good overall (has anyone ever actually played a game of hide and seek with it?) and really does need to be removed or at least changed.

I'm sure it couldn't be too much programming to either disable it, as you mention, or simply make "hiding" sims visitor time not count regardless of the lot type - after all, if people are really using it for its intended purpose then a few minutes here and there isn't going to harm anyone's timings, is it?

N

NightFlyer

I don't think lowering the time-out length of time will change anything, really, since most store sitters over ride it anyway.

Removing the hide and seek feature in stores will cut back on some of the abuse at least.

I see no down side to removing hide and seek just on store lots.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Cheating is NOT strategizing. It's that simple. You want something that other people have, but you don't wanna work to get it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cheating may NOT be strategizing correct. BUT can you tell me how the heck you can compete for even a top 25 store lot WITHOUT doing just the same ( locking down 25 damn free accounts on your lot ) My sister and I own a store in EA and decided Friday night to check out on competition, well 25 hidden sims, with ridiculous names,all hiding , no replying to IMS and the owner being so damn lagged out he couldn't answer a question. I don't care how CREATIVE you can be you are NOT going to be able to compete with that BS! The top 3 lots all the same scenario PFFTTT! I say do away with the hide feature period!!!! Its crap, useless, all it does is ALLOW cheaters to cheat PERIOD!
I can't see the point in playing this way, you aren't playing the game at all when you do this! They certainly don't deserve to have their lots at the top of this list. Seriously it'd be like giving a bank robber an award for the largest heist!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I can't see the point in playing this way, you aren't playing the game at all when you do this!

[/ QUOTE ]Absolutely.... not only are you cheating your competition, you're cheating your visitors when you're so lagged out you can't respond to anyone, and you're cheating yourself out of the satisfaction of knowing you got where you were honestly.

I have 3 computers and 2 laptops that could all run multiple TSO windows, sharing an 8mb internet connection that could easily handle a houseful of sims and raise to the top of the list with no effort whatsoever.

But why on earth would I want to? How could I possibly get any satisfaction from knowing I was the #1 store when all the 'success' was obtained dishonestly?