• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Going AFK

• Thread starter imported_Shirl1211
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Shirl1211

I have read alot of complaints here about sote owners being AFK. I am going to join them! I sat all night having only 9 visitors which I greeted and not a single one said hi, bye, ty, or KMB. One sim came in and went to my computer so I thought he needed to green so I gave him serenades made HC'd and what did he do?, dhe ate 5 pieces of cake and did not pick up one plate :-/ I only sell crafts that are always fully stocked so there's no questions to really be ask. I could have done something more constructive if i'd of locked down my keyboard. It never bothered me before when other people did it since I prefer to look around stores without chatting. Some of you think that AFK store owners are rude but why? Apparently if they all they have or want to sell is on the floor anyway. Forgive me for my new attitude but this thig can go both ways.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Well, it would be nice to have an official ruling on AFK/Open stores.

This question does not apply to stores that remain open AFK with a bunch of hidden visitors.

But if we wish to override and leave our stores open, is that now permissible or not?

If some owners are being allowed to do it, everyone should.

G

I get the same thing when I keep my store open. Every now and then you meet a customer that is grateful you are there. Most are rude.

I hope you put your cake in inventory if you plan on being afk. That is a fun game for a lot of punks. They will relight it and try to take it out of bounds or hide it from you. Spread cake all over your lot (teach you to be afk!)

G

As a store owner.. I do things in background when I have my game running... ctrl tabbing back and forth. So yes I go afk.. as well as the trips to the rl greening that is needed.

Most times I welcome peeps to my store they don't even respond, every once and awhile I get a "KK" "TY" but most times nothing ... then there are the .. ARE YOU THERE... but its not like we have much to do in stores. After price checks and repricing.. I find other computer work that I do.. Is this wrong?

Lately though I do seem to see more rude peeps... regarding shop keeper being afk. Does no one have rl greening to do or are you just supposed to sit in front of a screen waiting for drop ins? Come on, its not like a skill house or money house.... where its active all the time.. there are periods of nothing for us and we take that opportunity to do other things...

Didn't I hear they are working on something to allow us shop owners to be able to keep our stores open? If that is the case.. wont that mean alot more afk shop keepers while they take their sim out skilling or making money?

V

vapd3317

gasp....you're going afk ?....Bad girl....bad bad bad girl,...go to my room.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

gasp....you're going afk ?....Bad girl....bad bad bad girl,...go to my room.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL as long as you dont have cake in there.

G

I like to be there for special orders. Lately I can not do them because I have reached limit. Without being able to buy anything more. I see no reason to be available to customers. Also the catalog prices are outrageous. Sims are mostly hopping around looking for the cheap moved/merged items or new CC.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

I like to be there for special orders. Lately I can not do them because I have reached limit. Without being able to buy anything more. I see no reason to be available to customers. Also the catalog prices are outrageous. Sims are mostly hopping around looking for the cheap moved/merged items.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true!!! Also there is alot of household items and expensive catalog items that arrived from other cities. Oh, I am most defiently going to take your advice on putting that cake in inventory ..LOL

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
It's never been allowed, and there's never been any indication that the situation has changed.

Just because some people do it and get away with it doesn't mean everyone should.

Some people drink underage. Some people smoke. Some people take drugs. Some people steal cars. Doesn't make it any less wrong even if everyone does it, it's still against the law.

In TSO, the "law" is the terms of service.

I would hope that, as part of the anti-botting and anti-cheating measures that are supposedly being used to keep the economy in check, the powers that be are going to crack down on people keeping their stores open all day when they aren't actually there.

I'd gladly sit there for 8 hours a day logged in checking stores and whacking repeat offenders with the banhammer if EA would pay me for the privilege. After all, I am probably one of the most experienced people in knowing what to look for and how to report it ... or at least that's the reputation.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

OMG....LMAO....seems like forever since you've given me a good slap down!! Where you been?

Yeah Yeah...I know AFK is supposed to be against the rules and there are some that are being 'over-looked'.

I just wanted a comment from the Devs as to what policy they are going to be following from now on out. 'Overlooking AFK' or not.

It's only fair to all of us if we know which way the wind is going to blow.

I'm not going to sit here and just 'assume' that afk is against the rules any longer.

It's kinda like all of us assuming it was against the rules to sell TSO stuff. And actually the devs sound in favor of keeping stores open even suggesting having NPC's to run them for us.

(Wackem with the ban hammer? OMG!! Sure have missed your sense of humor!)

G

so dramatic!! stealing cars?? underage drinking?? hilarious.

I agree Dutch, it would be nice if they came up with an idea that would allow all store owners to keep their stores open as long as they want without violating the RoC. That would really even the playing field. I thought I read something about an idea to keep stores open without owners even needing to be there. I think something like that would be a great idea. That might even bring back specialty stores to keep more of certain items in stock to keep up with demand after store hours.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
It's never been allowed, and there's never been any indication that the situation has changed.

Just because some people do it and get away with it doesn't mean everyone should.

Some people drink underage. Some people smoke. Some people take drugs. Some people steal cars. Doesn't make it any less wrong even if everyone does it, it's still against the law.

In TSO, the "law" is the terms of service.

I would hope that, as part of the anti-botting and anti-cheating measures that are supposedly being used to keep the economy in check, the powers that be are going to crack down on people keeping their stores open all day when they aren't actually there.

I'd gladly sit there for 8 hours a day logged in checking stores and whacking repeat offenders with the banhammer if EA would pay me for the privilege. After all, I am probably one of the most experienced people in knowing what to look for and how to report it ... or at least that's the reputation.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know smoking and some drugs are still legal.

G

Is it actually still in the TOS? LOL to tell the truth I just hit accept or agree or whatever was there. I know before the new TOS there was talk of doing away with that. The devs really do not like this feature and they over ride it themselves. It is time for the time out feature to be gone.

I know at least one dev that uses a clothing patch too. They do not do anything about anyone puting what eyes they have in their bio. Nothing is done to afkers (skillig/running a store). It is because they do not care. As far as they are concerned those rules do not apply to them. How do they still apply to all of us?

G

<blockquote><hr>

OMG....LMAO....seems like forever since you've given me a good slap down!! Where you been?

[/ QUOTE ]

Second Life
But curiousity + free play has bought me back to have a look and see what's going to happen. TSO was my first online game, after all, and I do still have a bit of a soft spot for its retro cuteness and simplicity - even if we never did get the anniversary gifts we should have.

It makes sense to have a 'hireable' NPC like the repair man/maid/gardener (possibly with some AI to greet people, potter around and tend to stuff, although not giving visitor hours) to keep the store open for people that want to - firstly it removes the "need" to cheat by overriding timeout, secondly it's a money drain which enhances their goal of making us buy real money to continue to play.

G

<blockquote><hr>

As far as I know smoking and some drugs are still legal.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Underage drinking" and "illegal drugs"... shouldn't need to spell out every minor detail when you knew what I was trying to emphasise.

The fact that things are legal (in one particular country) doesn't necessarily make them right or acceptable to many people though, especially from the rest of the world where laws may be different.

Q

QueenOfHisHeart

It makes sense to have a 'hireable' NPC like the repair man/maid/gardener (possibly with some AI to greet people, potter around and tend to stuff, although not giving visitor hours) to keep the store open for people that want to - firstly it removes the "need" to cheat by overriding timeout, secondly it's a money drain which enhances their goal of making us buy real money to continue to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a nice idea. Just to add to this thought...what if the hireable NPC can be scheduled so that there is a specific time they will have the store open? Perhaps only when the owner/roomies are online? This would allow the owner and roomies a chance to skill, make money or socialize while the store is open. It will also allow customers to PM any special orders during store hours.

Even specify a block of time the store will be open. If an NPC is scheduled to have the store open from 2pm-5pm, for example, that could be added to the house bio. Perhaps even having a greening area for customers where the NPC cooks and cleans. Or even an area where no cleaning is needed while the NPC is working?

Just my 2 cents

Queenie (frequent lurker, dedicated player)

F

festrmentmagnet

Since money objects can't be used at stores anymore, and if skill locks are all used up, there's very little incentive to actually be at your store.

And, since some people really just want to come in, see if you have the item they want, and at what price it is, then hop back to there lot, sims aren't sticking around to chat it up.

I had a store in AV before the merge and I was always there, unless I went afk for 1 or 2 min for real life green, and I had so many people pop in, I'd say "hi", and they'd poof after seeing what I had in my store. This was funny to me because my house bio clearly stated I had only clothes and non-rare pets until after the merge.

So, it was frustrating sitting there and actually being there, and people just ignoring me.

But, I had money then and could spend my time at my own house doing pet pulls.

Now, I have no money, which is fine, but no incentive to actually "be" at my store.

My store isn't in EALand, yet, it'll be there after the AV merge, but honestly I don't know what the incentive to actually be there is.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

The fact that things are legal (in one particular country) doesn't necessarily make them right or acceptable to many people though, especially from the rest of the world where laws may be different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many players like staying in the rules and that's why I believe a clear statement of the intentions of the devs towards the practive of allowing stores to be afk-open needs to be made.

It's probably the major reason why some complain about it. They want to stay within the rules but it seems like others are allowed to operate outside them.

So if the rules for stores are being adjusted, something needs to be said so that all players in that house category can compete evenly.

I have a house in the store category but would never afk it open because I would be concerned about being wacked with your 'Ban-hammer' and others probably feel the same. But if some stores are allowed to be open that way, then all of them should be able to also.

G

then you need to be more pacific AJ, after all over there going out to smoke a [censored], has a totally different meaning then it does here in the states.

oh yea cherrio pip pip and all that rubbish... i was wondering how long it would take you to jump into a thread and discuss botting or cheaters, you caped crusuader you

G

im afk at my store alot, i have an alt sim keep it open and i play my main sim. For the most part i can be IM'd for special requests. I have no intention of changing the way i handle my store. Ill be there when i want to play it and i wont be there when i do not want to play it. If they make changes so i cannot keep it open afk then im not sure what i will do, likely change categories, i dunno. Sitting at a house and getting the occasional guest is NO FUN and i play this game to have fun. As for coming home with my cake spread all over the place, that would be funny, and i would LMAO while i cleaned it up.

D

DGLita

Lee and Greg have both openly discussed this in the community house, and dont have a problem with AFK owners or roomies. Now that buy mode is more or less gone, they need stores to be open.

What they DID have a problem with is a multitude of afk non roomie sims that are there hiding on a property primarily to manipulate the top 100 list. There are a couple of stores tht stick out like a sore thumb for this rule flouting, and its hard for them to deny it when they have 100 plus visitor hours.

A

Aelisa

I try to be at my store every time I have it open, but after a while I admit that I, too, go afk for a while. I want to have a store; I enjoy playing store; I like the bits of conversation here and there when a talkative sim stops in; and I would really like to sell the crudd my sims moved over to EA Land with. But after a while it gets pretty boring staring at the walls. Wait, I take that back. I can't even stare at the walls cause they are down. Anyway, once in a while I am afk just to take a break and do something in RL.

I also stuff my store with 3 sims from my other accounts to keep it on THE LIST. I don't care about being #1 or even #20. Around 30-ish would be nice. That's when the customers come more often. The point is, if I stayed there by my lonesome I wouldn't be anywhere on the list and nobody would come and playing store wouldn't be any fun at all.

That's my reasoning (excuse) for being a loser afker with extra sims on my store lot.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

im afk at my store alot, i have an alt sim keep it open and i play my main sim. For the most part i can be IM'd for special requests. I have no intention of changing the way i handle my store. Ill be there when i want to play it and i wont be there when i do not want to play it. If they make changes so i cannot keep it open afk then im not sure what i will do, likely change categories, i dunno. Sitting at a house and getting the occasional guest is NO FUN and i play this game to have fun. As for coming home with my cake spread all over the place, that would be funny, and i would LMAO while i cleaned it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it does sound pretty funny....and sounds kinda like something we could create a game out of?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have read alot of complaints here about sote owners being AFK. I am going to join them! I sat all night having only 9 visitors which I greeted and not a single one said hi, bye, ty, or KMB. One sim came in and went to my computer so I thought he needed to green so I gave him serenades made HC'd and what did he do?, dhe ate 5 pieces of cake and did not pick up one plate :-/ I only sell crafts that are always fully stocked so there's no questions to really be ask. I could have done something more constructive if i'd of locked down my keyboard. It never bothered me before when other people did it since I prefer to look around stores without chatting. Some of you think that AFK store owners are rude but why? Apparently if they all they have or want to sell is on the floor anyway. Forgive me for my new attitude but this thig can go both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking for myself its not so much the issue of rudeness that I have, its that circumventing the timeout feature, which is another way of saying what you said, is against the Terms of Service. In this new game, we all need to more cognizant about not doing things that go against the ToS since we all have a chance at a fresh start. Why repeat old bad behaviors unnecessarily? You can still go semi-afk and just return every once in a while to check chat history to see if anybody asked a question, PM them if they are gone, and/or hit "I'm back"......that much is not against the ToS. But if you go AFK longer than the 15 minutes the game allows, that's not OK......not until the devs remove the timeout feature, which I for one do not want them to do, or all we'll have is afk store owners and those that *want* help won't be able to find it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Yeah Yeah...I know AFK is supposed to be against the rules and there are some that are being 'over-looked'.

I just wanted a comment from the Devs as to what policy they are going to be following from now on out. 'Overlooking AFK' or not.

It's only fair to all of us if we know which way the wind is going to blow.

I'm not going to sit here and just 'assume' that afk is against the rules any longer.

It's kinda like all of us assuming it was against the rules to sell TSO stuff. And actually the devs sound in favor of keeping stores open even suggesting having NPC's to run them for us.

(Wackem with the ban hammer? OMG!! Sure have missed your sense of humor!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta agree with AJ. Until we're notified that ToS has changed, why would you think it had changed just because some players are slipping through loopholes? Yes, it might mean that the ToS is not being properly enforced, but that's like saying if the police force has a crisis that makes them short staffed so that they cannot catch all the murders and rapists, that its 'OK' to go out and attempt one of the two and play Russian roulette to see if you're one of the lucky ones that gets caught or not. Why do you need someone enforcing the rules to follow them when you know they exists. Are we adults that can control our behavior or not?

Food for thought.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Food for thought is....let's ask the devs what the story is and go from there.

I would like to point out that we used to unmercilessly bash the TSO vendors on Ebay and their personal sites. And turns out it wasn't against ToS..

If the dev team is going to make it acceptable for store owners to AFK and over ride the time out button, then they need to speak up so that the bashing can stop.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I gotta agree with AJ. Until we're notified that ToS has changed, why would you think it had changed just because some players are slipping through loopholes? Yes, it might mean that the ToS is not being properly enforced, but that's like saying if the police force has a crisis that makes them short staffed so that they cannot catch all the murders and rapists, that its 'OK' to go out and attempt one of the two and play Russian roulette to see if you're one of the lucky ones that gets caught or not. Why do you need someone enforcing the rules to follow them when you know they exists. Are we adults that can control our behavior or not?

Food for thought.

[/ QUOTE ]The reason store owners believe that it is OK to go afk and over ride time out is because of what was said about it at City Hall in TC3 months ago by one of our Devs. He made it clear that it was a non issue for them and that they wanted to enable stores to eventually not required the owner or roommates to be there at all.

So the TOS has been going through some changes or at least it was implied but it hasn't been rewritten yet as they are too busy working on other things. I know one store owner posted that she specifically asked if it was OK to do this and was told to go ahead.

It would be nice if this would be made official in writing but I am not going to hold my breath until they do.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Food for thought is....let's ask the devs what the story is and go from there.

I would like to point out that we used to unmercilessly bash the TSO vendors on Ebay and their personal sites. And turns out it wasn't against ToS..

If the dev team is going to make it acceptable for store owners to AFK and over ride the time out button, then they need to speak up so that the bashing can stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correction, it *was* against the ToS, but we were TOLD no longer is.

Overriding timeout alway has been against the ToS, and there's been no announcement that the rules have changed, as there was with selling simoleans and adding e-bay auctions. When such a change occurs, it will be announced. Why does this seem illogical to you? Players have been getting away with blatant ToS violations since shortly after the game went live, to varying degrees. I am flummoxed that people would actually think that this means the rules do not exist.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Food for thought.

[/ QUOTE ]The reason store owners believe that it is OK to go afk and over ride time out is because of what was said about it at City Hall in TC3 months ago by one of our Devs. He made it clear that it was a non issue for them and that they wanted to enable stores to eventually not required the owner or roommates to be there at all.

So the TOS has been going through some changes or at least it was implied but it hasn't been rewritten yet as they are too busy working on other things. I know one store owner posted that she specifically asked if it was OK to do this and was told to go ahead.

It would be nice if this would be made official in writing but I am not going to hold my breath until they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

*eventually* being the key word. As long as people are still circumventing timeout to do it, then it's still a violation since the ToS plainly states not to do that. When the devs DO add the feature that allows stores to run AFK, *then* and only then will it be OK. Err on the side of caution, people. I would much rather not do something until an announcement is made that it's OK, than to try to do it and find out I get popped even though 50 people have gotten away with it. My luck is just not that good. You don't need to solicit the announcement. When the devs are ready to make it, they will. My guess would be that *IF* this occurs it will be after the cities are all merged, and they are past the deadline of even being worried about whehter or not the game is going to survive to be AFK in.

I realize AFK stores is easy money, but seriously I don't see the issue with hanging tight for a couple more months to see what's gonna take place. I think we'd all agree there are plenty of issues that should and will take precedence over enabling condoned botting, which is what running a store AFK basically amounts to, just without the use of 3rd party software. Frankly I think its silly for the devs to even consider this, rather than creating NPC EA run stores themselves if they want to put AFK stores in the game. Allowing players to do this just means we're gonna have hundreds of stores popping up with people wanting to get something for nothing, watching simoleans roll in while they are off on their merry way. Some of these same people chomping at the bit for this are totally anti-botting. Boggles the mind.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Correction, it *was* against the ToS, but we were TOLD no longer is.

Overriding timeout alway has been against the ToS, and there's been no announcement that the rules have changed, as there was with selling simoleans and adding e-bay auctions. When such a change occurs, it will be announced. Why does this seem illogical to you? Players have been getting away with blatant ToS violations since shortly after the game went live, to varying degrees. I am flummoxed that people would actually think that this means the rules do not exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was always there....I just never bothered to look and since we couldn't actually talk about it here....it was just a taboo subject that was misunderstood by many.

Yep, I agree. There have been many violations. Age restrictions, time out over-rides, using 3rd party programs for everything from finding pets, money making, sim sitting and clothing patches.

I don't think it is too beyond comprehension that players at this moment in time in TSO history would like to know where EA stands concerning afk sims and over riding the time out feature.

Personally, I don't care if a sim is afk. I never agreed with being AFK as being against the rules. I also never agreed with forcing our sims to time-out.

So if EA wanted to get rid of those 2 pesky things, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Why is it so tough for some folks to allow us to ask a simple question without getting that 'tone'? I have every right to ask for clarification on a rule that appears to be no longer in affect.

I'd rather get the subject out in the air and get it settled then to sit around grumbling and belly aching about it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Why is it so tough for some folks to allow us to ask a simple question without getting that 'tone'? I have every right to ask for clarification on a rule that appears to be no longer in affect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's just one of those FAQ's that don't really need an answer *here*, just an application of common sense. Perhaps if you really feel strongly about needing an answer, the more appropriate venue for asking would be during the Town Hall or Community Pubs hours of operations since there you'd have the devs direct attention. When they are not there, their time is I imagine spent with their heads stuck in the coding trying to figure out wtf is making this or that screw up, so they don't have time to read the forums regularly these days to answer these types of questions. This is to me *why* we have a Terms of Service....it's written verification of what is and is not OK, with little room for interpretation or discrepancy, the people escaping through loopholes not withstanding. This is one of those times that it's important for players to educate themselves and each other, to take some of the heat off the devs from having to answer the little questions in individual threads. For the hours they are in the Pub and Town Hall, that's where their attention is focused, and there are usually multiple devs in there to handle the many questions that are flying so as few get overlooked as possible.

That's just my take on it.....the path of least resistance. Anything else is asking for trouble and/or a headache.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

*****Hmmmmm*******
I just went to read the ToS. I'm having trouble finding here it says we are not allowed to be afk? Can anyone find it and direct us all there?

Actually, there is a lot of leeway to the rules especially when you have them along side EA rules.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't think it is too beyond comprehension that players at this moment in time in TSO history would like to know where EA stands concerning afk sims and over riding the time out feature.

[/ QUOTE ]

If EA do not keep it, crack down on it, and crack down on it hard at this pivotal point in TSO's history... then whatever they have in mind for the future will all be in vain.

Extended period cheating AFK and 'paying for popularity' are the two biggest things that are going to ruin the game AGAIN, so do EA want fair and honest gameplay ... or another failure on their hands?

I thought Luc had more or less 'staked his reputation' on making this work again. I'm sure he won't want to be responsible for the plug being pulled by not taking the necessary action on this very important subject.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If EA do not keep it, crack down on it, and crack down on it hard at this pivotal point in TSO's history... then whatever they have in mind for the future will all be in vain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually one of the things that the devs have talked about is the ability to own more then one property at once and for that property to be visitable by others without the need for the owner/roomie to be there.

Which means that ppl afk in stores would no longer be a problem as they wouldn't need to be there to keep it open.

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

*****Hmmmmm*******
I just went to read the ToS. I'm having trouble finding here it says we are not allowed to be afk? Can anyone find it and direct us all there?

[/ QUOTE ]

"[You may not] Use or distribute “auto” software programs, “macro” software programs or other “cheat utility” software program or applications."

AFK overriders are "cheat utilities".

"You will not attempt to interfere with, hack into or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running the Service."

If you are using a non-software based 'device' to stop the timeout... you're interfering with a transmission to the server that will log you out after 15 minutes of inactivity.

"You will not exploit any bug in the Service or in any EA product to gain unfair advantage in the game and you will not communicate the existence of any such bug (either directly or through the public posting) to any other user of the Service."

Overriding timeout is an 'unfair advantage'.

"You will not do anything that interferes with the ability of other Service users to enjoy playing an EA game and using the Service"

If you're cheating, you're interfering with the ability of others who wish to play fairly to compete.

Seems fairly comprehensive to me.

Remember here that 'afk play' is NOT an issue as long as you come back every 14 minutes to prod your keyboard and stop the countdown. You don't have to sit at the computer every single minute you are logged in. It's those that are online for 23 hours a day, overriding timeout, with a house full of their own sims racking up the hours cheating in the same way, that are causing the concern - and have done for 5 years.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually one of the things that the devs have talked about is the ability to own more then one property at once and for that property to be visitable by others without the need for the owner/roomie to be there.

Which means that ppl afk in stores would no longer be a problem as they wouldn't need to be there to keep it open.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

IN THE FUTURE.....not *now*.....that's our point. Until those changes occur, we're not there yet. It's like people who got suspended and/or banned before swearing in game became not againt the ToS didn't get their accounts reinstated just because swearing became OK at a later date. At some point in the distant future, AFK stores might be *OK* as far as in the eyes of the devs....but as of today, that feature has not been implemented yet, so the current rules still apply.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the easiest thing is to just get rid of the visitor hours/bonus. Then people can cheat all they want and it won't give them that unfair advantage over those who don't override timeout.

Let a store's popularity then be based on their prices, and the quality of the custom objects they sell, not how much cheating they can get away with.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*****Hmmmmm*******

[/ QUOTE ]

"[You may not] Use or distribute “auto” software programs, “macro” software programs or other “cheat utility” software program or applications."

"You will not attempt to interfere with, hack into or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running the Service."

If you are using a non-software based 'device' to stop the timeout... you're interfering with a transmission to the server that will log you out after 15 minutes of inactivity.

"You will not exploit any bug in the Service or in any EA product to gain unfair advantage in the game and you will not communicate the existence of any such bug (either directly or through the public posting) to any other user of the Service."

"You will not do anything that interferes with the ability of other Service users to enjoy playing an EA game and using the Service"

If you're cheating, you're interfering with the ability of others who wish to play fairly to compete.

Remember here that 'afk play' is NOT an issue as long as you come back every 14 minutes to prod your keyboard and stop the countdown. You don't have to sit at the computer every single minute you are logged in. It's those that are online for 23 hours a day, overriding timeout, with a house full of their own sims racking up the hours cheating in the same way, that are causing the concern - and have done for 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

See now....that's your opinion. You have a right to your opinion.

In my opinion, these ToS leave lots of gaps and loop holes. I don't necessarily 'read into' the rules that the method used to override the time out falls into any of these categories.

What about sleepwalkers? Are they cheaters too? Obviously sleepwalking was programmed otherwise why would the devs have given the option to "wake up" the sleepwalkers? But someone else might view it as a cheat.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't necessarily 'read into' the rules that the method used to override the time out falls into any of these categories

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that the timeout feature is there for a reason, so doing something to prevent it not working is not actually part of the game's intended function?

As for sleepwalking... I believe that was a bug/exploit someone discovered?

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Sleepwalking is a bug. Ergo it is an exploitation of a bug.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*****Hmmmmm*******

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, these ToS leave lots of gaps and loop holes. I don't necessarily 'read into' the rules that the method used to override the time out falls into any of these categories.

What about sleepwalkers? Are they cheaters too? Obviously sleepwalking was programmed otherwise why would the devs have given the option to "wake up" the sleepwalkers? But someone else might view it as a cheat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ignoring things clearly stated to justify cheating. That's not the same as us 'reading things' into it. It's clearly there, as outlined and explained. If you choose to cheat from this point forward, you cannot proclaim innocence/ignorance. The ToS has spoken, ignore it if you want to. 'Nuff said. This round and round is nonsense.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I don't necessarily 'read into' the rules that the method used to override the time out falls into any of these categories

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that the timeout feature is there for a reason, so doing something to prevent it not working is not actually part of the game's intended function?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a bug if your sim has the 'wake up' prompt? It's tricky to call it a bug.

But back to the timeout feature....

Has it ever occurred to Einstein that most and likely these people that are afk at their stores with 9+ sims are not necessarily over-riding the time out feature?

As far as I know, my heineken will only work on the top window...any window beneath that will time out if left unattended.

So, either those people are running 9+computers all with 'over-ride' OR they are using a macro to keep the subsequent windows fresh on either 1 computer or maybe 2.

As far as 'advantage'. I'm not really sure if someone making a reputation for themselves as always being afk is necessarily gaining any advantage....unless he has a bunch of hidden shoppers.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Sims can use the hide feature for ways it was not intended to be used too. More people "exploit the bug" in the hide feature more than they "exploit the bug" in the sleep feature. However both are well known bugs and are considered exploitation.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it a bug if your sim has the 'wake up' prompt? It's tricky to call it a bug.

But back to the timeout feature....

Has it ever occurred to Einstein that most and likely these people that are afk at their stores with 9+ sims are not necessarily over-riding the time out feature?

As far as I know, my heineken will only work on the top window...any window beneath that will time out if left unattended.

So, either those people are running 9+computers all with 'over-ride' OR they are using a macro to keep the subsequent windows fresh on either 1 computer or maybe 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo, hence using a 3rd party program, hence a ToS violation, or in the alternative not all the sims are theirs and they've enlisted friends to help them cheat their way to the top.

<blockquote><hr>

As far as 'advantage'. I'm not really sure if someone making a reputation for themselves as always being afk is necessarily gaining any advantage....unless he has a bunch of hidden shoppers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an advantage because of the flaw of the top 100 list being ranked like they are. It's based on VH, so when players do this with more than just their own roomie sim(s) then they are gaining visitor hours unfairly, jumping other players who really deserve to be there by playing fairly, having superior customer service and all the things that make a QUALITY store lot.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Yeah, but isn't the top 100 list going 'bye-bye' anyway just because of alternate guest time abuses?

So basically we just need a ruling on being open AFK so that 'regular people' who don't want to break rules can do business too as stores.

Do you know that there are probably lots of people now 'over-riding' time out now simply because they are afraid to log out and not be able to get back in?

I

imported_Gracie Nito

There is nothing wrong with being afk as long as you time out every 15 minutes and have to log back in.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

There is nothing wrong with being afk as long as you time out every 15 minutes and have to log back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Ok, let's get technical for a moment...

Why should I have to 'time out'? Can't I just walk by and hit enter every 14.5 minutes?

And wouldn't that be pretty much the same as 'over riding the time out'?

See, it's really up to interpretation. There is a lot of grey area in that rule.

Who made that rule anyway? For some reason, I don't believe that's there's always been an AFK rule and I don't think the originally we timed-out. I'll have to cruise through archives a bit.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should I have to 'time out'? Can't I just walk by and hit enter every 14.5 minutes?

And wouldn't that be pretty much the same as 'over riding the time out'?

See, it's really up to interpretation. There is a lot of grey area in that rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can walk by and hit enter every 14.5 minutes. Nothing in the rules against that either.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should I have to 'time out'? Can't I just walk by and hit enter every 14.5 minutes? <font color="red"> Yes, you certainly can. This is not a violation. Gracie meant as long as there is nothing preventing you from timing out, and I think you knew that. </font>

And wouldn't that be pretty much the same as 'over riding the time out'? <font color="red"> For the friggin nth time NO NO NO NO NO, because overriding timeout entails violating the ToS! </font>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its not. As I said before, you are splitting hairs and trying to justify either your own actions or the actions of friends you are defending for doing this. Either way as a long term player of this community for you to do that I think is reprehensible. We long term players are the backbone of this operation. We set the example for the newbies. I do not want that example to include giving off the impression that cheating and exploiting is OK, and I don't understand how anybody who says they are a dedicated player can say they do think that example is acceptable until the devs say otherwise. Just let it go, ffs!

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*****Hmmmmm*******

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ignoring things clearly stated to justify cheating. That's not the same as us 'reading things' into it. It's clearly there, as outlined and explained. If you choose to cheat from this point forward, you cannot proclaim innocence/ignorance. The ToS has spoken, ignore it if you want to. 'Nuff said. This round and round is nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about using any kind of device. All a person has to do is click on something from time to time in order to stay afloat. Another thing, if this rule has not been enforced for a very long time with the tree farms and afk skillers, maybe it should be discontinued so we all have a fair shake at being on the boards period, honestly i'd be happy at #100 . And for the cheat and bot busters, you sure are slacking on your mission to report this kind of gameplay or maybe you have and nobdy cares.. I challenge you to go into some of these stores late at night with up to 22 sims that I counted last night, and tell me what you see! And also speak to them and see how many answer! I believe in fair gameplay as a rule too and will stay AFK and make money or skill with my other sims because that's the only way of prospering for me.