• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Free accounts too restrictive

G

In my conversation with Lee I found out that free account sims will be restricted to residential lots, which means all they will be able to do is hang out and chat. They will also not be able to build their own lot, even residential. Which leaves me with the following questions:

1) Who will host the residential lots that will be required for these people to play?

2) What "bait" will there be to entice people into a paid account? If these are new people coming into the game, and there are no "trial accounts" with more features, they will not have much of an experience to decide upon.

3) What would they do with the bonus simoleans they receive, if you can't buy anything anywhere other than at a store?

I know there's reasons there needs to be restrictions, but I think the problems with allowing certain things need to be handled another way. New players will not find enough fun to cause them to subscribe, in my opinion....

M

Meggers

In my conversation with Lee I found out that free account sims will be restricted to residential lots, which means all they will be able to do is hang out and chat. They will also not be able to build their own lot, even residential. Which leaves me with the following questions:

1) Who will host the residential lots that will be required for these people to play?

2) What "bait" will there be to entice people into a paid account? If these are new people coming into the game, and there are no "trial accounts" with more features, they will not have much of an experience to decide upon.

3) What would they do with the bonus simoleans they receive, if you can't buy anything anywhere other than at a store?

I know there's reasons there needs to be restrictions, but I think the problems with allowing certain things need to be handled another way. New players will not find enough fun to cause them to subscribe, in my opinion....
-----------------------------------

I get free samples of skin creme in the mail all the time. It's usually enough to do one cheek. Freepers can visit other homes and see what can be done if you pay. That's your bait. Why should they get to do all that we paying customers get to do?

G

Doesn't look like you read my post.

Free sims can only go to residential lots, which means they can't:

Play or see others play pizza/maze/code
Do or see others do the job tracks
Build a house
Buy or place any objects
Or anything else not available on residential lots.

If these things can't be done with permanent free account, some kind of trial needs to remain.

G

Another thing to consider if free accounts are only to be restricted to residential lots ...... greenfree and all maxed interactions!

New sims wouldn't experience having to green their needs, but would be able to experience all the interactions that we get from skilling.

Polly

M

Meggers

Doesn't look like you read my post.

Free sims can only go to residential lots, which means they can't:

Play or see others play pizza/maze/code
Do or see others do the job tracks
Build a house
Buy or place any objects
Or anything else not available on residential lots.

If these things can't be done with permanent free account, some kind of trial needs to remain.
-----------------------------------------

So what? They can see plenty on a residential lot. I for one am glad about the restrictions on the free trials. We had people that I know of getting over 600 free trial accounts and using them to wreck the game. Now there is no reason for them to do that anymore. As to people who are coming to check the game out, the free trial allows them to do that. If they want the full experience, they can bloody well pay for it.

G

They should allow trial accounts to try out custom content , like a sandbox, because thats what will attract most players into the game.

I was wondering if trial accounts can trade?

I was hoping that trial accounts could see and visit all lots of all categories and upload custom content (in residential lots only), however, they cant buy, sell, trade, build houses or gain money.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

They should allow trial accounts to try out custom content , like a sandbox, because thats what will attract most players into the game.

I was wondering if trial accounts can trade?

I was hoping that trial accounts could see and visit all lots of all categories and upload custom content (in residential lots only), however, they cant buy, sell, trade, build houses or gain money.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!! I really doubt that pic on a stick is going to attract anyone to a game. ROFLMAO, thats just too funny, thanks for the laugh!!!

M

MandiK

<blockquote><hr>

-----------------------------------

I get free samples of skin creme in the mail all the time. It's usually enough to do one cheek. Freepers can visit other homes and see what can be done if you pay. That's your bait. Why should they get to do all that we paying customers get to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL that is a hilarious comparison.

S

ScottyII

Well, if this is the case, I wont be coming back again. I am a founder, but I got a temp free account just so I can see what the game has to offer before I decide to commit and pay a monthly fee again. If I cant see everything, whats the point? I refuse to waste my money on something if I cant take it for a test drive first.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically there will be free access to enter EA-Land but no free trials to play TSO. There will be no new players coming to play TSO. Just visitors dropping by residential lots to chat.

I would not be enticed to pay 9.99 a month for an animated chat room. Nor will I be spending time in a residential lot convincing anyone to subscribe to something they can't even see or experience.

Just last night I had a conversation with 2 new players. The male sim picked up on the simulated life aspect of TSO right away. Create a character, learn, earn, build and buy. However, the more we talked about different aspects and ways to go about building a life, all the female sim could do was ask, "So, what is there to do here?" We talked about board games like "Life" and "Monopoly" but her response was always......"What is there to do here?" Meeting and just talking to people was apparently not enough for her.

If this girl could not figure out a reason to stay or pay with full access, I can't imagine anyone subscribing with a limited access restricted to just a chat room.

G

Here's my idea:
Why don't they add a 3-day trial run of the free version? The first 3 days of the free account will be just like the full game, with no restrictions. Then they will be given the oportunity to either continue in a subscription or forfeit their Sims and start fresh on a free account.

G

If the free account does not have more access to other features within EA Land then the game could suffer greatly(Less people would subscribe to EA Land and/or play EA Land). As mentioned above , maybe give the new free accounts 3 days to 7 days of FULL Access to try the game out and then if they don't want to pay yet they can revert to a free account. (The Free Accounts are still going to need more features though , in my opinion.)

G

I think there has to be a happy medium. I do not think that somebody who chooses not to pay should have the same options as someone who chooses to pay.

I agree free accounts should not own lots.

I do think they should be able to visit all lots... but maybe they have a limited inventory and no ability to acquire skill locks.

I can't remember the person/founder who got an account but is not coming back... I"m too lazy to hit my back button. But I don't think that any of the hardcore restrictions are in place as of yet. You should still be able to play and interact for the most part on your account.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically there will be free access to enter EA-Land but no free trials to play TSO. There will be no new players coming to play TSO. Just visitors dropping by residential lots to chat.

I would not be enticed to pay 9.99 a month for an animated chat room. Nor will I be spending time in a residential lot convincing anyone to subscribe to something they can't even see or experience.

Just last night I had a conversation with 2 new players. The male sim picked up on the simulated life aspect of TSO right away. Create a character, learn, earn, build and buy. However, the more we talked about different aspects and ways to go about building a life, all the female sim could do was ask, "So, what is there to do here?" We talked about board games like "Life" and "Monopoly" but her response was always......"What is there to do here?" Meeting and just talking to people was apparently not enough for her.

If this girl could not figure out a reason to stay or pay with full access, I can't imagine anyone subscribing with a limited access restricted to just a chat room.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.
The whole point of 'free sample' is to give folks a taste of whatever you are trying to sell to them in order to entice them to buy the whole thing.
For example, if you are selling pies at the fair, you might give them a bite size piece so they can get the whole flavor. What you wouldn't do is just break off a piece of the crust.
In fact, supermarkets and bakeries do just that. Cheese too.
Not that residences are just crust, but they don't reflect the entire flavor of TSO (EALand).

If only they did it with beer.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think there has to be a happy medium. I do not think that somebody who chooses not to pay should have the same options as someone who chooses to pay.

I agree free accounts should not own lots.

I do think they should be able to visit all lots... but maybe they have a limited inventory and no ability to acquire skill locks.

I can't remember the person/founder who got an account but is not coming back... I"m too lazy to hit my back button. But I don't think that any of the hardcore restrictions are in place as of yet. You should still be able to play and interact for the most part on your account.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
" A happy medium", yes.
Reduced/resticted features is the way to go. For example, limited skill locks. A trial user could get only up to say.... 5 locks. This way he/she could experience the usage of locks and get to see some of the rewards of skilling.
Reduced inventory by about 75%.
A cap on the amount of money they can have.
These are just examples, but my point is that a mere time limit is not enuff if the account remains full-featured.

Many games offer unlimited freebies with caps on features that keep players in the lower levels of game society until/unless they subscribe.
The theory is; you can play as long as you want for FREE! But if you want the good stuff, ya gotta pay!
It seems to work too - the players play every day and max out their capped features, while watching subscribers zoom past with their enhanced stuff.
PotC does this and they seem to do very well.

I'm just sayin'...

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Inability to purchase land solves the problems of free users filling our maps with stupid neighborhood names. However, I believe they should be able to be a roomy anywhere.

Having a city full of homeless free players would open up the businesses of running hotels and renting condominiums. We've always had a shortage of roomies because everyone wants to purchase land and build their own.

In order to prevent subscribers from using free accounts to help their subscriber account earn money like creating a pizza team , there must be restrictions on earning potential of free players. If the plan is to restrict free players from earning money then they will have little need to skill either.

If free players cannot make money, have no need for skill, cannot purchase land or experience building, then what is left for them to do? Sit in a residential lot and chat. LOL.

I suggest...

Free players have no skill locks at all.
Once they get 10 skill points they will have to fight skill decay.

Free players have limited amount of money they can earn per day.
No more than 1k simoleans can be earned in 24 hour period.

Free players cannot purchase land with simoleans however may purchase a size 1 lot with real cash from EA.
If they want to pay to own their own place, then let them pay real cash.

Free players cannot expand their lot.
Incentive to build bigger places goes to subscribers.

Free players can live anywhere as a roomy.
Helps subscribers find roomies and helps free players learn advantages of subscribing.

Free players do not have access to trade interaction.
Prevents subscribers from abusing free accounts.

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

We must ask ourselves this: Is the motive behind free trial accounts thwarting against the use of abusers, or are we truly trying to draw more players into the game?

Sure, put as many [money] restrictions on free trial accounts, but we are not giving the opportunity for new players to TRY the game out. I agree - if I wanted to sign onto a house, chat, and sign off, I'd download YIM or IMVU which do just that, and are free.

I'm a paying player and have been since 2002, but I believe it's in the games' best interest to draw new players to the game. I wouldn't throw my money at a chat room. It's already arguably that at the moment as it is, but limiting new players to a residential lot floors me. If you ask me, that's almost intentionally trying to keep new players from joining the game. First it's stated there won't be any advertising, and now when players somehow join by stumbling across the website or word of mouth, they'll turn the other way due to this.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Inability to purchase land solves the problems of free users filling our maps with stupid neighborhood names. However, I believe they should be able to be a roomy anywhere.

Having a city full of homeless free players would open up the businesses of running hotels and renting condominiums. We've always had a shortage of roomies because everyone wants to purchase land and build their own.

In order to prevent subscribers from using free accounts to help their subscriber account earn money like creating a pizza team , there must be restrictions on earning potential of free players. If the plan is to restrict free players from earning money then they will have little need to skill either.

If free players cannot make money, have no need for skill, cannot purchase land or experience building, then what is left for them to do? Sit in a residential lot and chat. LOL.

I suggest...

Free players cannot purchase land with simoleans however may purchase a size 1 lot with real cash from EA.

Helps subscribers find roomies and helps free players learn advantages of subscribing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Those are good suggestions.
Not crazy about the 1k per day money cap tho - 1k in TC3/EAL is a lot.

G

<blockquote><hr>

LMAO!!! I really doubt that pic on a stick is going to attract anyone to a game. ROFLMAO, thats just too funny, thanks for the laugh!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Who in the world talked about the "pic on a stick" ?? I said CUSTOM CONTENT, which will be improved, just give it time. We are getting more than this "stick", which will attract new players. Thats why SL is popular, because of its CC, and i dont think that you actually believe that it was built in just a few months!! it needs time. be patient. TSO/EA-Land will become something really good.

Dont like the game and whats going to happen? Leave it! No one is forcing you to stay.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I suggest...

[/ QUOTE ]

Love the suggestions! they are great. Plus, there should be a maximum amount that free players could ever earn or have. Maybe 10k?

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I suggest...

[/ QUOTE ]

Love the suggestions! they are great. Plus, there should be a maximum amount that free players could ever earn or have. Maybe 10k?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the idea of an overall cap of 10k. They could even cash it in to pay for a full month subscription to try out playing as a subscriber.

As for the 1k per day limit. I doubt very seriously many new free players will work hard enough to even earn that much in a single day. Especially with no skill locks

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I suggest...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the idea of an overall cap of 10k. They could even cash it in to pay for a full month subscription to try out playing as a subscriber.

As for the 1k per day limit. I doubt very seriously many new free players will work hard enough to even earn that much in a single day. Especially with no skill locks

[/ QUOTE ]
You may be right.
Nevertheless, these suggestions (and others like them) should be brought to the attention of the Devs. We need to encourage ppl to play, not ban them to the purgatory of residential lots.

uh.... not that residential lots are 'purgatory', per se...
...that is... owners of res lots can leave when they want to have fun.... oops... I mean.... whenever they want to.
Fact is - I looooove res lots.... some of my best friends are res lots.... OWNERS of res lots... I mean....

ok... shutting up now.

G

The way I look at it, play for free and heavy restrictions will be placed.

Pay if you want those restrictions lifted.

G

I don't think free players should be *forced* to pay for the game, they should be enticed to stay and pay.

And the best way to do that is to give them a tantalizing taste of everything they can do in the game.

They should be able to do jobs, build, work money objects (single only), gain skills/interactions, go shopping, participate in games and events, and making friends, in order to experience the full potential of what paying/playing the game would give them. They should be able to do everything.....in small ways.

Skills:
6 total skill points &amp; the interactions that come with it, can be gained...no locks.

Money:
They would start with §100 like everyone else, but could never earn more than 1 or 2 thousand. They could work and on single objects, up to their set cap, but no group objects.

Build:
They could have a special newbie lot, available only to trial accounts....a size 1, grass, in a far corner of the map...that they can practice building on....all other User Interface controls for a lot owner would be visible but unusable, so they could see all the potential things they could do. This lot can not be moved, expanded or sold. They would not be able to name the lot, join a neighborhood, enter a lot description, but they could examine all those options to see how they work.
The same with Build Mode....only a handfull of walls, floors, landscape plants, and other options would be available to use...all others would be visible but locked.

Jobs:
They could get any job, but they could not be promoted beyond the second level. Instead of the promotion message, they would get a 'please subscribe to activate your promotion' message.

Shopping:
They could go to various stores, and even buy items for their lots....up to the very small cap they would have on money.

Bookmarks would be limited to 5 or 10...friendship webs would not display beyond page one. No comments could be left for or by trial account holders.

They should be able to visit various lots to see how they all work.

This would give a wide overview of the game and a chance to make friends with paying players, without the potential for abuse.

G

All ideas are important and great. I think that trial accounts should be able to visit and interact with people in all lots and categories, since people usually stick around as they find new nice friends. It would discourage them to stay if they dont meet new people and make friendships.

I

imported_gensi

<blockquote><hr>

I don't think free players should be *forced* to pay for the game, they should be enticed to stay and pay.

And the best way to do that is to give them a tantalizing taste of everything they can do in the game.

They should be able to do jobs, build, work money objects (single only), gain skills/interactions, go shopping, participate in games and events, and making friends, in order to experience the full potential of what paying/playing the game would give them. They should be able to do everything.....in small ways.

Skills:
6 total skill points &amp; the interactions that come with it, can be gained...no locks.

Money:
They would start with §100 like everyone else, but could never earn more than 1 or 2 thousand. They could work and on single objects, up to their set cap, but no group objects.

Build:
They could have a special newbie lot available only to trial accounts....a size 1, grass, in a far corner of the map...that they can practice building on....all other User Interface controls for a lot owner would be visible but unusable, so they could see all the potential things they could do. This lot can not be moved, expanded or sold. They would not be able to name the lot, join a neighborhood, enter a lot description, but they could examine all those options to see how they work.
The same with Build Mode....only a handfull of walls, floors, landscape plants, and other options would be available to use...all others would be visible but locked.

Jobs:
They could get any job, but they could not be promoted beyond the second level. Instead of the promotion message, they would get a 'please subscribe to activate your promotion' message.

Shopping:
They could go to various stores, and even buy items for their lots....up to the very small cap they would have on money.

Bookmarks would be limited to 5 or 10...friendship webs would not display beyond page one. No comments could be left for or by trial account holders.

They should be able to visit various lots to see how they all work.

This would give a wide overview of the game and a chance to make friends with paying players, without the potential for abuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

On that note, why not a newbie/free trial island? Most games starts their newbs out on another island/planet to get them acquainted with the game. When they're ready to enter the full pay area, they come with experience and an idea of what they need to do to play the game. They don't have to bring any skills/money/objects with them from the island, just their knowledge on how to get ahead. Kinda like the sandbox theory.

I

imported_corpatortis

It's very obvious from all the e-blog and wiki complaints that if you want a person to know what they are missing.. you have to tell them. Not provide a way for them to see it for themselves.

I vote for keeping the restrictions and using word of mouth.. like maybe a hotkiss.

KIR - The idea of just a pic on a stick enticed many people to return to tso (tc3) to see the beginning stages of development. so lmfaoooooo b/c you're wrong

I

imported_gensi

<blockquote><hr>

It's very obvious from all the e-blog and wiki complaints that if you want a person to know what they are missing.. you have to tell them. Not provide a way for them to see it for themselves.

I vote for keeping the restrictions and using word of mouth.. like maybe a hotkiss .

KIR - The idea of just a pic on a stick enticed many people to return to tso (tc3) to see the beginning stages of development. so lmfaoooooo b/c you're wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah!!

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Who in the world talked about the "pic on a stick" ?? I said CUSTOM CONTENT, which will be improved, just give it time. We are getting more than this "stick", which will attract new players. Thats why SL is popular, because of its CC, and i dont think that you actually believe that it was built in just a few months!! it needs time. be patient. TSO/EA-Land will become something really good.

Dont like the game and whats going to happen? Leave it! No one is forcing you to stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but for just CC aka "pic on a stick" would not make me want to play the game. I'm one of the 3+ year players that would rather see it gone. I would prefer face lift or beauty shop as opposed to CC.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I vote for keeping the restrictions and using word of mouth.. like maybe a hotkiss .

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah!!

[/ QUOTE ]

HI GENSI!!!!!1!

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm offended. Personally, I find "picsicle" to be more appropriate.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense intended but the term "pic on a stick" came out first,( no copyright violation to use the term btw).

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense intended but the term "pic on a stick" came out first,( no copyright violation to use the term btw).

[/ QUOTE ]

Word on the street is KIR likes stick figure pics.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Word on the street is KIR likes stick figure pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct

G

He also said a couple other things I couldn't believe while I chatted with them, but not going into details here.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

Here's my idea:
Why don't they add a 3-day trial run of the free version? The first 3 days of the free account will be just like the full game, with no restrictions. Then they will be given the oportunity to either continue in a subscription or forfeit their Sims and start fresh on a free account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes perfect sense to me! I know if I had a free trial account, I would like to be able to experience ALL the features, even for a limited time. After all, how do you know if you will like the game and want to continue playing it if you aren't able to try out ALL the features?

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not even a fair comparison. Skin creme samples...it either does what the product says and you like it or it doesn't and you don't. TSO has many features to try out. You can't get a feel of the WHOLE game by just being able to try a few of it's features.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I'm sorry but for just CC aka "pic on a stick" would not make me want to play the game. I'm one of the 3+ year players that would rather see it gone. I would prefer face lift or beauty shop as opposed to CC.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and me both...Been around since Beta and have never wanted or had a need for CC. Face lift or beauty shop would be a good idea though. Sim hubby prefers my look in AV (brown hair) and I'm a blonde in all other cities, so I'd love a chance to change my hair.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

The way I look at it, play for free and heavy restrictions will be placed.

Pay if you want those restrictions lifted.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with that is you won't know if you truly like TSO if you have restrictions and can't try out the whole game.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

I suggest...

[/ QUOTE ]

Gracie,

For once we agree...except for your idea of purchasing land with RL money. To me, that would be like they were paying for their account (at least partially, depending on the price) and that would mean it wasn't free.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree!!
Just as chihuahuas prefer "Yappy little dog", "pics-on-a-stick" prefer "picsicle".

...and I am unanimous in this.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Well, if this is the case, I wont be coming back again. I am a founder, but I got a temp free account just so I can see what the game has to offer before I decide to commit and pay a monthly fee again. If I cant see everything, whats the point? I refuse to waste my money on something if I cant take it for a test drive first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you take your paid founder account over to AV or BF and take a look at a couple of the "Neighborhoods" and you'll see why "freebies" are being restricted.

Don't blame EA for this one. Blame the abusers and blame those of us that have complained about it.

If they hadn't have used Trial accounts to harrass and attack paying customers, freebies probably wouldn't be so restrictive.

Also, look at the fact that many of the 'trialers' probably don't convert to paid status now. However, their sims can sit on property for several months before EA can finally wipe them.

This is just the beginning of 'Freebies' and there may be 'adjustments' done to allow them a little more movement in the community and more access to other houses as they test out the new accounts.

M

Meggers

I suggest...

--------------------------------------

I like to try those sample downloads on Yahoo Games. I love playing Zuma. They give you 60 minutes on a free trial to decide if you want the game. So how about just a 3 day free trial and they can go anywhere they like. They can observe the rest of the game but they can't make money or buy land and no skill locks. No one needs an all access 14 day trial. They are going to know in the first hour if they want to subscribe or not.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I don't think Freebie accounts should be allowed to own lots. Owning property should be reserved for paying members. Freebie accounts should be restricted. If there were 'unrestricted' access to 90% of the game, what incentive would there be for them to convert their accounts to paying?

I think they should be allowed 'roomie' opportunities for the time being though. I think back when we started discussing the 'overhauling' of TSO, there were discussions concerning a 'downtown' area where there would be 'starter' apartments and some NPC lots where homeless/poor sims could green up, etc. (To think about it, they would probably be little similar to the 'dorms' on Sim2 University addition.)

Would be interesting to see if that's still in the pipeline. That would take care of the homeless/floating/destitute freebie problems.

Another online game recently went to 'freebie' accounts. Let me throw out Toontown. They now have freebie accounts. You are entitled to make a couple of toons out of 6. However, the freebie toons are restricted to playing in the lowest level neighborhood regardless of how many laugh points those toons would be. So essentially about 80% of the game is restricted to paying members only.

I think that the devs are going to have to make calls on how much restriction should be on the 'freebies' and stick to their guns no matter how much some people scream about it. May I point out that not everything we want is good for us and the devs are the ones that have to draw the line.

G

The truth is, that I was totally under-whelmed by the game when I first loaded it up in beta. But from the moment I build my first tiny little shack (very first day), I was hooked! The rest of the game grew on me as I skilled, chalked, chatted, so I could built one wall panel at a time. Lots of players love the building aspect of the game....just look at the turn-outs at design contests!

*Not* finding some way to allow free trial'ers to experience building is, in my opinion, throwing the baby out with the bath water.

If the options to name a lot, join a neighborhood or buy rare lots, are unavailable, then no one can abuse the system, the way it was in the past!

The main problem for me, with cutting of particular aspects of the game completely, is that we could be cutting off our diversity of players as well......who knows what part or parts of our game, would have appealed more to a trial accounters, if we do not offer them a chance to explore part of all of them?
Can we afford to shut out doll house builders, job (mini-game) workers, social butterflies, or compulsive shoppers, because they never got a chance to experience their particular interest, while testing the game?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Well, actually if and when they get the 'downtown' area up and going, they could use the 'college dorm' model for TSO. That could probably work great for freebies. College dorms will only allow you to change out wallpapers and flooring but will not allow you to remove walls/windows and such.

So freebies could 'claim' a room at a dorm. They could wall paper and decorate to their hearts content. Maybe they'll get a taste for designing and sign up for a subscription in order to buy a lot and start building a house?

G

If someone on a trial account can visit all categories (perhaps within a certain area on the map) then they can see different types of lots and buildings. A sandbox area where they can view the build controls and practise might also be an enticement.

I'm in agreement that free accounts should not be able to own a property or build.

A free "trial" account should give people enough of a taste of the game that they want to part with their money to be able to access all areas and do all things available to premium subscribers. IMHO this includes owning and building property.

Polly