• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

For everybody that wants insurance gone....

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love that there is item insurance. not everyone likes the risk of loseing a piece that is worth millions of gold.
  • I don't even have a million gold right now with my 3 accounts and 21 characters combined so loseing lets just say my uncursed armor of fortune that i payed 9 million gold for when i had the gold would be a devastating loss to me.
There is nothing wrong with insurance or pof or blessed items. there should also be no limit to how many times you can use pof on an item. so please dev teams don't change them no matter how many people cry for them because if you poll every player who plays UO i be i would be the majority on this one.
  • To me dieing and loseing insurance money is risk enough to me being poor doesn't help.
What are we going to do when we all have the best of the best of the best items that never break and never need changed? I don't just mean us as PvP'ers, either.

What will happen to the BOD system when we reach this saturation? What will happen to Peerless and other monsters that drop decent loot sometimes? They go the way of the balron and others. Doom?

That is the long-term impact of insurance and no-break items.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What are we going to do when we all have the best of the best of the best items that never break and never need changed? I don't just mean us as PvP'ers, either.

What will happen to the BOD system when we reach this saturation? What will happen to Peerless and other monsters that drop decent loot sometimes? They go the way of the balron and others. Doom?

*shrugs* add more stuff...

D

D'Amavir

The same thing that always happens. Skill levels would jump up to 150 thanks to more scrolls, stat caps would be increased to 150 thanks to stat scrolls, new weapons/armor made with new runic hammers would be required and people would whine about not wanting to risk anything. Just like today. Just like yesterday.

L

Lore Master

so far that hasn't happened there are so many mods and more mods on the way with the upgrades that there can always be a better set then yours no matter how good your set is. making monsters that are tough is one way to balance that out of course that hurts players with lower quality sets. perhaps one day the monsters can be afftected by how good our set is like the better our set the tougher the monster is. as for pvp thats another problem but that shouldn't hurt us monster hunters that don't want to pvp.

R

Remy_of_GOR

I was not mistaken, its for that reason why insurance wont be taken out.
because it would be more enjoyable? your odd.

Only a few if any want some thief or pk to take gear from them that cant be replaced easily.
people wouldnt wear the high end gear, thus the even playing field for all, not just the 'haves'.

Remove insurance and I believe fel becomes even more desolate and exploit ridden than it is now.
??? i find people easily in fel all the time. from zerg guilds to tram guilds trying to spawn, to the miners, to the lone adventurer east of skara. exploits happen everywhere in the game, not just fel.

New player (nothing)? One week they can be sitting on 400-500k just banging on ettins, and a few all 70's 10th anny pieces.
one week for you or me to make a new character with 4-500k. i mean a NEW player, one that doesnt even know what an ettin is. and the weapons/armor in haven are a joke against a suited pvper.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shrugs* add more stuff...
*sigh* Right. More stuff and more stuff and more and more and more until no one even remembers what an Ettin is anymore, any newbie can solo a DF or Peerless and we all have 1000 skill points and 500 stats and 3 weapons in each hand while casting 20/60 riding Ancient Greater Dragons.

Can anyone here honestly say that Siege has a WORSE OFF economy than Prodo shards?

R

RoycroftLS

i think the fact people have spent ungodly amounts of gold on suits that have taken years to build shows the inbalance in today's game. where stand those with no gold or years of playing when they want to pvp? removing insurance from felucca is the only way to even the playing field.
If you wanted to make it truly even, why even allow gear to be worn at all? No gear = all skill. Greco-Roman Felucca!

But anyway, while I do agree that there is a vast imbalance in the game, I'm not sure that invalidating the effort spent by the core playerbase is the right solution. What's the point of making it more equal for the new players if the game shuts down when all the vets close their accounts?

R

RoycroftLS

Can anyone here honestly say that Siege has a WORSE OFF economy than Prodo shards?
Siege manages to work well, but there are a couple factors that come into play. Siege has had the same no insurance ruleset from day one. Also, Siege has a dedicated group of players that have chosen to play by those rules.

Production shards have had insurance for many years now, and there are some serious consequences that would be had from switching horses midstream. Not to mention the uproar from players who (even with a no insurance shard available) have chosen to play by the insurance ruleset.

To turn the tables, can you imagine the outcry if people proposed that insurance be added to Siege?

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
because it would be more enjoyable? your odd.

people wouldnt wear the high end gear, thus the even playing field for all, not just the 'haves'.

??? i find people easily in fel all the time. from zerg guilds to tram guilds trying to spawn, to the miners, to the lone adventurer east of skara. exploits happen everywhere in the game, not just fel.

one week for you or me to make a new character with 4-500k. i mean a NEW player, one that doesnt even know what an ettin is. and the weapons/armor in haven are a joke against a suited pvper.
Enjoyment is only your perspective. But yes odd I am.

Your assuming I am a "have" vs have not.

Population is Shard determined.

We had that once upon a time with minimal armor requirments.( no variation sucks).

New players with new excitement for the game can and do find out fast how to make good earnings.

Insurance was a progressive move, (perfect nope) but a good move. Sure its not what some hard core players want But........ bla bla yada ,round and round of Insurance is not the problem. Removing insurance imo would be bad.

There need be a better solution.

D

D'Amavir

If you wanted to make it truly even, why even allow gear to be worn at all? No gear = all skill. Greco-Roman Felucca!

But anyway, while I do agree that there is a vast imbalance in the game, I'm not sure that invalidating the effort spent by the core playerbase is the right solution. What's the point of making it more equal for the new players if the game shuts down when all the vets close their accounts?
Vets didn't close their accounts when AoS came out and made all of their old gear obsolete. The vets that do really aren't the type that should be in the game anyway. UO needs more players that want deep and rich content instead of just further and further boosted items that they can blow their gold on. That mindset is what makes games like this fail in the long run.

D

D'Amavir

Siege manages to work well, but there are a couple factors that come into play. Siege has had the same no insurance ruleset from day one. Also, Siege has a dedicated group of players that have chosen to play by those rules.

Production shards have had insurance for many years now, and there are some serious consequences that would be had from switching horses midstream. Not to mention the uproar from players who (even with a no insurance shard available) have chosen to play by the insurance ruleset.

To turn the tables, can you imagine the outcry if people proposed that insurance be added to Siege?
Can you imagine the outcry if EA added something like insurance to production shards after years of it not existing? Wait, they did that. Go figure.

As for switching horses mid stream, they already did that by adding insurance. Just as an example, if EA released another expansion akin to AoS that completely changed how item properties functioned (which made all the old stuff worthless like AoS did) and none of these new items were insurable, would you quit? Just curious since that would invalidate the whole "I spent 500m on a suit that I have to leave in a bank now" argument since players would know from the start that these items weren't insurable. So, they could get rid of insurance the same way they got rid of vanq and indestructible weapons and armor. So that going forward they wouldn't have to worry about the whole insurance thing.

S

ShadowJack

way to waste my life with another stupid thread.

If you don't see why insurance in the entire game is bad, then fine, if you don't see why it's bad in fel, then you're just stupid

and if you are a real vet who learned to play without all of this breast feeding

then I'm sorry our game has degenerated into this.

I'm going to play a free shard.

peace

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so is this actually an effort to Seige-ize the prod Fel Facets?
Erm Siege-ize? All folks are talking about is removing a feature from Fel and returning it to a facet without insurance. We didn't have insurance to start with, remember? It's not Siege-izing it's just correcting something which should never have hit Fel.

Wenchy

R

RoycroftLS

Vets didn't close their accounts when AoS came out and made all of their old gear obsolete.

Can you imagine the outcry if EA added something like insurance to production shards after years of it not existing?
In both cases the devs added choices, instead of taking them away. At least when you make something obsolete there are ways to upgrade. It's a whole different story when you take away options and limit people from things they are accustomed to having.

Just as an example, if EA released another expansion akin to AoS that completely changed how item properties functioned (which made all the old stuff worthless like AoS did) and none of these new items were insurable, would you quit?
The idea that I would have frequently restock large portions of my gear when I died does not sound like an enjoyable method of gameplay for me. Even if competitive gear was readily available in such quantities that it wasn't much hassle to get the gear itself, I'd still have to stockpile it, sort it, and have it readily available. Not to mention that such a system encourages players to be careful and cautious to avoid repeating such a process.

Personally, I do enough menial tasks at my job, and I live a careful and cautious life for my family's sake. When in game, I prefer being able to go gung-ho, trying to pull off some ridiculous feat of heroism, without having long periods of downtime whenever I am unsuccessful.

So yup, I would more than likely quit in such a scenario. I still do prefer the "deep and rich" content you describe, but when the devs stopped offering that regularly, I adjusted my playstyle to still be able to play with my friends. But seeing as my pleas to fix the damn cheating already have fallen on deaf ears, and even my die-hard friends are leaving the game, I doubt I'll be around much longer myself.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you dont want insurance you might as well just... get rid of it. theres really no downside. atleast get rid of it in fel if you want rid of insurance. theres a 0% chance thats not a good idea. unless your dumb.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think, the people who want to get rid of insurance did not consider that losing equipment nowadays often means losing several millions of gold. I agree that insurance (the way it is today) takes the risk out of the game, and something should be done about that. But you cannot first give people rare and very valuable items, and then remove the kind of security you want to have when you wear this equipment.

I personally worked hard to put together a decent suit and weapon for my pirate. I wouldn't want to risk it, as I wouldn't be able to afford a replacement.

The root of the problem is not the insurance, but the introduction of rare and valuable items. In the Early Days, when everybody used GM-crafted exceptional armor, nobody needed insurance. Things could be replaced with a reasonable effort.

Times have changed!

P.S.: Maybe insurance should be limited, but not abolished.
Limited to 3 or less. 1 Preferably. People never seem to get that you dont NEED those ubers to play. Belive it or not you can do anything just fine with a suit of barbed and or some throwaways. When there isnt insurance people will just use less valuable stuff.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only one here looking like a moron is the person who fails to find the humor behind the irony of the statements made. There is no fix necessary and no need to solve anything. Time and time again the developers themselves admitted that thieves were a mistake in Fel, even the games creator admitted this FACT.

The OP was simply restating a quirky solution given to all these thief gripes on insurance...

BTW...when the hell was the last time you saw a serious fel thief wear anymore beyond the blessed clothing and perhaps arcane boots? Dont you see any irony to hearing this type of person calling foul when they themselves take no risk? Oh and death is risk? PHFFT!!!! Without your gold from killing you wtf is MY reward????
Strangely enough its not all about thieves, or even about them at all. The game works better without insurance. The game once again becomes about player skill, and medium level items and crafting once again have a purpse. No need for the ever upward spiraling power levels...

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Time and time again the developers themselves admitted that thieves were a mistake in Fel, even the games creator admitted this FACT.
Well, I know the creator of ultima said that even about PvP, but then again he left this game long ago. But where did you get it that everyone else said that thieves were a mistake, aye? Please, indulge us of this fact you say. And quoting Richard is kind of irrelevant given that not only did he quit long ago, but, to restate myself, said the exact thing about PvP.

Oh, and I applaud kinney (creator of this thread) on creating another flame/rant thread on this issue. I find it funny he started this as a rant then into another discussion about removing insurance.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think the fact people have spent ungodly amounts of gold on suits that have taken years to build shows the inbalance in today's game. where stand those with no gold or years of playing when they want to pvp? removing insurance from felucca is the only way to even the playing field.
Huh?

You want to pvp 10 minutes after you create a character on your first account?

That is your idea of an even playing field in a MMORPG?

No offense but it appears that somebody may have mixed up Uo with their older brothers Playstation :(

D

D'Amavir

In both cases the devs added choices, instead of taking them away. At least when you make something obsolete there are ways to upgrade. It's a whole different story when you take away options and limit people from things they are accustomed to having.
What choice do those that want to compete against people that don't have 400m gold suits that they have zero risk of ever losing have? Oh wait, they are the ones that shouldn't have a choice right? As long as you have a choice, everything is fine. Gotcha.

The idea that I would have frequently restock large portions of my gear when I died does not sound like an enjoyable method of gameplay for me. Even if competitive gear was readily available in such quantities that it wasn't much hassle to get the gear itself, I'd still have to stockpile it, sort it, and have it readily available. Not to mention that such a system encourages players to be careful and cautious to avoid repeating such a process.
If you frequently had your entire suit of gm quality armor looted then you are probably doing something wrong. Sure, you might have run into people that dry looted people of even the most common items in the old days, but that wasn't the majority. We know that its safe and easy to just rez and be ready to fight again instantly. But not everyone wants easy in this game. Some people want an actual challenge. Buying gear that lets you solo the highest mobs in the game isn't a challenge. Walking around in that 400m gold suit with no fear of ever losing it isn't a challenge.

[quotePersonally, I do enough menial tasks at my job, and I live a careful and cautious life for my family's sake. When in game, I prefer being able to go gung-ho, trying to pull off some ridiculous feat of heroism, without having long periods of downtime whenever I am unsuccessful.[/quote]

Yes, heroes were always those that took no risks and only took part in activities they could win at. Go you hero, go!

So yup, I would more than likely quit in such a scenario. I still do prefer the "deep and rich" content you describe, but when the devs stopped offering that regularly, I adjusted my playstyle to still be able to play with my friends. But seeing as my pleas to fix the damn cheating already have fallen on deaf ears, and even my die-hard friends are leaving the game, I doubt I'll be around much longer myself.
Many have friends that are leaving. That is why discussions like this happen. Many want something more added to the game besides just more and more required pixel crack items. Its people like you that accept the direction this game is going instead of standing against it that enables the developers to continue ruining our game.

D

D'Amavir

Huh?

No offense but it appears that somebody may have mixed up Uo with their older brothers Playstation :(
If you can compete at pvp within ten minutes of creating a character, more power to ya. If you can't admit that the gap between the haves (those that can spend real money on gear or have tons of time to grind for it) and the have nots (those that don't spend real money or have limited actual playtime and don't want to spend it doing things like saving for years on a suit tomake the competitive) is too broad in this age of the game, no amount of facts, logic or evidence will change that view.

However, I will use some anyway. The very fact that you rant about how you CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT your 500m gold suit shows just how bad the situation is. Every rant against the removal of insurance on this thread only proves what the real problem with UO today is. I doubt anyone would care about insurance on either side if all that was being insured was normal crafter gear that everyone had access to.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Huh?

Your just trying to be argumentative aren't you?, What they are saying is this, people who don't play long hours at a time, or have expendable income to just buy items for real $$$ shouldn't be stuck having to spend 6mo. to 2yr. just to get a suit. It's absurd and kills the fun factor of the game for these people. Those that have the suits, or those selling armor and weapons to make those suits are taking them for granted, that why these people like yourself are being argumentative, and refusing to see any real benefit to UO on a large scale.

K

Kratos Aurion

you need to take logic classes. this is one of the dumbest things ive ever heard. they dont want to be easily killed. they want an even playing field that even new players could compete in.

the trammel-style of player that actually DO play in fel would still insure their gear. no even playing field here.

try to think up some good ideas to help solve the issue, not make some moronic statement to try to make yourself look clever.
Logic? whats more logical than that? If you want something fixed, fix it your self. You want insurance gone? turn yours off. No one prevents you from not using your own insurance.

And of course the "tram" style of fel player will still be there. Those are the players who WANT insurance. That was a moronic comment.

If you can't prove you can play with out item insurance, then its not going to be dealt with. Whiney ass fel players think every game implementation is a reflection of tram while its quite the contrary. Players in fel kept whining that they were losing their stuff way to frequently thus a simple solution was born. Item insurance. Why on earth would trammies need it? we can hunt peacefully and collect our loot/bodies as easily as we died.

Now grow some man hair and start proving you're ready to play without insurance with your elite uber suit and see how that fairs for you.

In the mean time... go play siege.

N

Nibblets

I do believe that insurance should be gone from Felucca. I'm not even a pvper myself. When you hit a moongate to Felucca you should get a warning that you're traveling there and that all of your stuff will be automatically un-insured. Kind of like car insurance, you take all these risks get into some bad accidents and they're not going to insure you because you're a liability. So if you go to felucca in your 400mil suit, die and lose it I guess your shouldn't have worn it there in the first place, it is the badlands after all. Now the personal bless deeds and clothing bless deeds I don't think should be removed. The impact of one or two items that you can't lose won't make that much of an impact.

Now on Trammel, item insurance should be more expensive and items should be breakable after a certain amount of time. You shouldn't need to have your uber suit on all the time. It should be reserved for those battles that require it. There would be a few exceptions, ie the armor from the spring cleaning....stuff that you cannot possibly get again since it was a one time deal.

Armor should also take into account weapon styles. You want to wear leather armor then you take more damage from macers and swordsmen etc. Leather armor should not protect you as much as platemail. You might be faster in leather, but more protected in platemail. Give smiths the opportunity to compete with the barbed/horned kits. People would have to adjust their playstyle to suit their armor and weapon types. Leathers and metals should have properties like the wood types at least then if you went and did a champ spawn in Felucca you'd have some bonuses with replaceable GM crafted armor. Hrmm...that was a little off topic, but it was there in the front of my brain.

One more thought that popped in concerning PoF. Remove it entirely, in it's place put in an Amor/Weapon smith who will act just like PoF, but each time you do it, it becomes increasing more expensive. There you have a gold sink and PoF abilities that aren't abused.

R

Remy_of_GOR

Logic? whats more logical than that? If you want something fixed, fix it your self. You want insurance gone? turn yours off. No one prevents you from not using your own insurance.
me turning my insurance off does not fix the problem. the major imbalances between the haves and haves nots is there regardless of what i insure.

And of course the "tram" style of fel player will still be there. Those are the players who WANT insurance. That was a moronic comment.
all these people can still pvp in trammel with insurance if it is turned off in fel. there is nothing stopping them.

If you can't prove you can play with out item insurance, then its not going to be dealt with. Whiney ass fel players think every game implementation is a reflection of tram while its quite the contrary. Players in fel kept whining that they were losing their stuff way to frequently thus a simple solution was born.
people in fel weren't crying about items. aos was shoved down everybodies throat. six months into aos saw me lose all my friends in game that were disgusted with it.

Now grow some man hair and start proving you're ready to play without insurance with your elite uber suit and see how that fairs for you.
my thief wears gm armor and carries 30 of every reg, some pots, orange petals, and smoke bombs. no insurance. none of my pvpers have 'uber' suits when compaired to the average pvper.

i have a thief there, but siege is NOT a prodo shard without insurance. get real.

i believe that those that dont support uninsuring felucca are selfish and dont wish the game to advance. all these people could still do whatever it is they do in trammel.(guild wars and bring back order/chaos for those pvpers that want insurance), while those that enjoy no insurance can do everything in fel.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Or do we wait till we have 2 Trammels before thinking "oops, we messed up" and changing our tune?

Wenchy
We've got 2 Trammels now, with the exception of Power Scrolls, and highlighting Red, there are ways to do everything in Trammel you can in Fel it's as risk free and Care Bear as trammel is when you look at the overall picture.

R

Radun

We've got 2 Trammels now, with the exception of Power Scrolls, and highlighting Red, there are ways to do everything in Trammel you can in Fel it's as risk free and Care Bear as trammel is when you look at the overall picture.
Ya, because you can't be attacked by other players in fel anymore rolleyes:
Yup... Fel is exactly like trammel now, in every way...drrr

K

Kratos Aurion

me turning my insurance off does not fix the problem. the major imbalances between the haves and haves nots is there regardless of what i insure.

all these people can still pvp in trammel with insurance if it is turned off in fel. there is nothing stopping them.

If you can't prove you can play with out item insurance, then its not going to be dealt with. Whiney ass fel players think every game implementation is a reflection of tram while its quite the contrary. Players in fel kept whining that they were losing their stuff way to frequently thus a simple solution was born.
people in fel weren't crying about items. aos was shoved down everybodies throat. six months into aos saw me lose all my friends in game that were disgusted with it.

my thief wears gm armor and carries 30 of every reg, some pots, orange petals, and smoke bombs. no insurance. none of my pvpers have 'uber' suits when compaired to the average pvper.

i have a thief there, but siege is NOT a prodo shard without insurance. get real.

i believe that those that dont support uninsuring felucca are selfish and dont wish the game to advance. all these people could still do whatever it is they do in trammel.(guild wars and bring back order/chaos for those pvpers that want insurance), while those that enjoy no insurance can do everything in fel.
*sigh* Anyone can be as one sided as they like. Failing to see the point is like constantly beating a dead cow.

Turning off insurance fixes the problem for you. Don't force other people to play the game by your standards. Simply put, if you don't like the way the game works and you don't like the option to turn insurance off, why not just stop playing?

Yes people can PvP in tram if they have guild wars. What would turning off insurance in fel prove? nothing. The majority of pvpers I see depend on items to make pvp fun for them. I'm not saying there shouldn't be changes to insurance. Removing it is just not logical.

The situation may look like this.

You remove insurance. You lose the 90% that used it, and keep the 10% griefers that hated it.

And if you really pvp'd pre tram and LBR, you couldn't even begin to tell me people didnt whine upon losing gear. Infact, Im willing to support that the majority of the implementation of insurance was due to fel griefers of the time. People hated losing items, especially their PvP items. Not everyone had mules and could afford to constantly buy new weapons. *note* that was pre-item based UO. The developers realized that with new more powerful items, it would create more frustration and tension in fel (and tram) so they added insurance. A form of insurance was always saught after in pre-tram.

i believe that those that dont support uninsuring felucca are selfish and dont wish the game to advance. all these people could still do whatever it is they do in trammel.(guild wars and bring back order/chaos for those pvpers that want insurance), while those that enjoy no insurance can do everything in fel.[/
I'll let you in on a little secret. My thief doesn't wear armor :) he doesn't use regs. In fact, I just run to places and use recalls in my runebook. I don't even know how your statement about your characters has any impact on this arguement.

Why is Siege not a production shard? Because it doesn't have insurance? becase theres no tram? because its hard? hrmmm.

I believe that those who try to force their views on the rest of the games playerbase are selfish and hold the game back from advancing. Insurance can be improved for the felucca lifestyle, but not removed. Infact, I've actually taken about 10 minutes out of my time and went and asked a few of the top pvp names I noticed running around on my shard. Guess what? they all said they'd quit if insurance was removed.

Now. get a life. go play Siege and stop whining. Siege isn't a production shard due to the very reasons you're complaining. If you don't want to play Siege, play Mugen :)

N

Nibblets

The real question is, is why respond to the "whiner" posts and instead reply and give feedback to the people that actually sat down and tried to think of solutions to the problems that plague UO?

So far a majority of this post and others, have turned into name calling and useless repetition. Some have pointed out valid reasons for both sides of the argument, but both seem completely set on their side rather then looking at it from both.

No wonder the devs don't pay much attention to what people say. Who would want to wade through the vast amounts of tripe to get to the people that actually post ideas.

It's a sad state of affairs.

K

Kratos Aurion

The real question is, is why respond to the "whiner" posts and instead reply and give feedback to the people that actually sat down and tried to think of solutions to the problems that plague UO?

So far a majority of this post and others, have turned into name calling and useless repetition. Some have pointed out valid reasons for both sides of the argument, but both seem completely set on their side rather then looking at it from both.

No wonder the devs don't pay much attention to what people say. Who would want to wade through the vast amounts of tripe to get to the people that actually post ideas.

That is the best post ftw in this thread. I will say I don't particularly like item insurance but I at this time don't support the idea of removing it.

Of course some fel people want it gone. What about the ones who don't? No one seems to take that into consideration. This game is and will always be item based since LBR.

You can't pull the plug on a concept thats been 5 years in the making (with aos) and expect the whole majority of the playerbase to agree with it, even if it is fel only. Of course we have players who think it can be done and should be done with magical pixie dust that makes everyone happy.

Unfortunatly, the only thing that can be done about insurance is either overhauling the way it works, or changing the current system to work more efficiently to player wants.

L

Lily

This game is like a sweater. It was knit from top to bottom and if you want to take out a thread that is in the middle, everything below it is going to unravel. I would continue with my metaphor but then I would sound like a totally old granny. My point is, whether you come up with a compelling argument for the removal of insurance or not is irrelevant. They can't take out a core element of the game because everything that came after would unravel also.

IF you wish to have the risk of no insurance for yourself, then do what I said in my post in the other thread... turn it off. The fact that this argument exists and persists is another testament to the stubbornness and the "live in the past"-ness of some Ultima players. It's a huge turnoff to those of us who want this game to grow and evolve, not shrink and devolve.

Lily

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your just trying to be argumentative aren't you?, What they are saying is this, people who don't play long hours at a time, or have expendable income to just buy items for real $$$ shouldn't be stuck having to spend 6mo. to 2yr. just to get a suit. It's absurd and kills the fun factor of the game for these people. Those that have the suits, or those selling armor and weapons to make those suits are taking them for granted, that why these people like yourself are being argumentative, and refusing to see any real benefit to UO on a large scale.
5 hours...two weeks of logging in and out...30 mil.

thats what my buddy has made since starting this game just two weeks back...and he has only sold about 1/3 of the items. so please stop with the woe is me crap. perhaps if you spent less time trying to steal peoples aids and pots in fel you would be able to get yourself something nice.

OH WAIT! you play a thief who only wears BLESSED clothing yet talks about risk vs. reward and how insurance has ruined the game. lol...riiiiiiiiiiight!

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posts were removed.
Please behave and leave personal exchanges out of this.
Thank you.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you need to take logic classes. this is one of the dumbest things ive ever heard. they dont want to be easily killed. they want an even playing field that even new players could compete in.

the trammel-style of player that actually DO play in fel would still insure their gear. no even playing field here.

try to think up some good ideas to help solve the issue, not make some moronic statement to try to make yourself look clever.
Why? That's all your posts are.

All kidding aside...only 83.89% of your posts are moronic statements.

The idea is perfect., though...it really is.

It gives the thrill back to the game for those that want it, and allows the freedom to not choose all that excitement, for those that don't.

By the way...where exactly is the "Even Playing" field in a 10 vs 1 Fight...precisely?

:gun:

:hug:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game is like a sweater. It was knit from top to bottom and if you want to take out a thread that is in the middle, everything below it is going to unravel. I would continue with my metaphor but then I would sound like a totally old granny. My point is, whether you come up with a compelling argument for the removal of insurance or not is irrelevant. They can't take out a core element of the game because everything that came after would unravel also.

IF you wish to have the risk of no insurance for yourself, then do what I said in my post in the other thread... turn it off. The fact that this argument exists and persists is another testament to the stubbornness and the "live in the past"-ness of some Ultima players. It's a huge turnoff to those of us who want this game to grow and evolve, not shrink and devolve.

Lily
Think of it this way, players like myself haven't liked some additions to the game, but lived with them and tried to get on with it. At least that's what I've done. Now I can see the reasons why I'm completely disinterested in PvP and will continue to stay out of it, at least not fighting daily as I once did. There is no "hook," no point in fighting unless you're the sort who likes to see who's the daddy. I've been in a player justice guild virtually all my UO life, and we're redundant now. Picking sides means nowt, being a murderer means even less and yet players are still trying to make Fel even easier. Why? You can guild war in Tram, surely it's logical to do that for safe PvP, not call for Fel to be sanitised.

Now maybe you can explain to me, how having 2 trammels is better for UO than having 2 different facets where we can play on different terms and experienced truly different playstyles with the same characters. Because I don't see any value in 2 photocopies of the same thing in a game, it's dull. Which is where we're headed. In fact I think we're about there TBH. We need differences between the facets, and EA need to stop pandering to the safety conscious when they add content to Fel. It makes me laugh when I think how much crap like instantised corpses we can get without asking for it, yet event content like a turn in NPC for spring cleaning was asking too much lol.

Wenchy

S

Sindris

What about that "risk vs. reward" thing you champ spawn hoggers like to harp on? What could be more risky than the possibilty of losing all your gear? What could be more rewarding than getting someone elses?

R

RoycroftLS

What choice do those that want to compete against people that don't have 400m gold suits that they have zero risk of ever losing have? Oh wait, they are the ones that shouldn't have a choice right? As long as you have a choice, everything is fine. Gotcha.
How about... go accumulate a suit of their own? That's a valid choice for anyone who doesn't mind putting some effort into the game. And if you need a 400m gold suit to be competitive, you are doing something very wrong.

If you frequently had your entire suit of gm quality armor looted then you are probably doing something wrong. Sure, you might have run into people that dry looted people of even the most common items in the old days, but that wasn't the majority.
You mean to tell me that a guild defending a spawn won't dry loot any serious attackers they fend off, knowing that they will gain minutes of uninterrupted spawn time by doing so? These are frequently the same people who script and hack to gain the smallest of advantages, and they are going to ignore a game mechanic that gives them a significant tactical edge?

Its people like you that accept the direction this game is going instead of standing against it that enables the developers to continue ruining our game.
Where the heck did I say I was complacent about the continuing trend of the game? Just because I'm arguing against removing insurance completely from Fel doesn't imply that I think there isn't a problem. It just means that I disagree with that particular solution.

There are certainly ways to help rectify the item-dependence issue that don't entirely negate the effort of all the honest vets who have accumulated their gear over time.

Say, make a relatively small percentage of Fel lands (and their corresponding champ spawns) no-insurance areas, and leave the rest the way they currently are. Maybe even categorize them further and have a couple that are restricted by the character's skill and/or stat caps.

Let the players choose which playstyle suits them best instead of always forcing them into one way of playing the game.

D

D'Amavir

How about... go accumulate a suit of their own? That's a valid choice for anyone who doesn't mind putting some effort into the game. And if you need a 400m gold suit to be competitive, you are doing something very wrong.
Then all those against the removal of insurance from Fel can just leave them at home when they come to Fel so that they don't have to risk losing them. I agree completely.

You mean to tell me that a guild defending a spawn won't dry loot any serious attackers they fend off, knowing that they will gain minutes of uninterrupted spawn time by doing so? These are frequently the same people who script and hack to gain the smallest of advantages, and they are going to ignore a game mechanic that gives them a significant tactical edge?
Any point you tried to make there is lost because you try to equate a guild that fights for control of a spawn with scritpers and hackers. I won't bother with sections of posts that do that.

Where the heck did I say I was complacent about the continuing trend of the game? Just because I'm arguing against removing insurance completely from Fel doesn't imply that I think there isn't a problem. It just means that I disagree with that particular solution.
Good to hear. Its a good thing to have more people able to admit that there are problems that need to be fixed. The more of those the better.

Say, make a relatively small percentage of Fel lands (and their corresponding champ spawns) no-insurance areas, and leave the rest the way they currently are. Maybe even categorize them further and have a couple that are restricted by the character's skill and/or stat caps.
I would be ok with that as a start. Not sure about the skill or stat caps. But it wouldn't kill my support for the idea completely.

Let the players choose which playstyle suits them best instead of always forcing them into one way of playing the game.
I am always in favor of this. I fully support the concept that travel to Fel or Trammel allows players to choose what playstyle they want to take part in without ever having it forced on them. Improving Fel in no way forces anyone to go there. The same way that improving Trammel does not force anyone to go there.

R

Radun

One of the things I remember someone saying was that if they remove insurance from fel, people could still pvp with their good armor insured in tram, by setting up elaborate guild wars...
Today I had a better idea.... Why don't all the people who want to pvp in GM gear all get together and set up some elaborate guild wars, for fighting in tram? You get your level playing field among people who want to play by those rules, rather than forcing everyone else to play your way. Best of all, it requires no change to the game's mechanics..

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
make a relatively small percentage of Fel lands (and their corresponding champ spawns) no-insurance areas, and leave the rest the way they currently are.
I can imagine what that area would be like;

3 thieves standing around wondering why no one comes there to have their stuff stolen.

R

Radun

^

plus, I think the champs (and their spawns) themselves would need to be nerfed down quite a bit, to compensate for the fact that they would be (practically, if not entirely) impossible to complete without any armor/weapon properties, & low resists, before you would see anyone being enticed by their presence in an insurance-free zone.

D

D'Amavir

^

plus, I think the champs (and their spawns) themselves would need to be nerfed down quite a bit, to compensate for the fact that they would be (practically, if not entirely) impossible to complete without any armor/weapon properties, & low resists, before you would see anyone being enticed by their presence in an insurance-free zone.
That's part of the item treadmill problem that people have been trying to explain. EA makes higher level items which everyone wants. Those items make the current mobs too easy so people complain. So EA makes higher level mobs to accomodate the new items and their use. Then EA makes higher level items which everyone wants.

You can see how that trend just ends up being an excuse for not giving the game real and deep content. I know most people love to claim that the dislike some have of the item based aspect of UO is because of jealousy or what not. But the fact is, a lot of us don't like it because it just ends up being all that we get in regards to content. Too much time is spent coming up with new and more powerful items. Then too much time is spent trying to balance different templates based on the use of these items. Then too much time is spent boosting up the mobs to accomodate the use of these new items. Again, you can see how this trend can and does have a negative impact on any real 'content' being added.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's too late to remove item insurance on the standard shards. Too many game systems would need to be rewritten and most - not all, but most - of the remaining players would throw fits over the loss of their precious loot which they claim to hate but hoard anyway. It'd be a better game, but... is an empty better game really better?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the things I remember someone saying was that if they remove insurance from fel, people could still pvp with their good armor insured in tram, by setting up elaborate guild wars...
Today I had a better idea.... Why don't all the people who want to pvp in GM gear all get together and set up some elaborate guild wars, for fighting in tram? You get your level playing field among people who want to play by those rules, rather than forcing everyone else to play your way. Best of all, it requires no change to the game's mechanics..
Because the people who want to lose less should be playing on Tram - the facet which was designed to be safe and peaceful for those players. I think you have your facet's crossed...

What on earth would a risk seeking player see in fighting in a land where you have pushthrough and can't start a fight with a player unless their guild is warred to yours? Those features are there to make it safer and easier to PvP, which suits the pro-insurance PvPers quite well IMO. If you don't want the risk, stay in Tram. Stop trying to make Fel safer, next thing the Health and Safety Executive will be round Yew gate tutting at the PvPers because they might trip on a branch...

Wenchy

K

Kith Kanan

Your point being what exactly? Aside from a broken caps lock and !! key that is.

Wenchy
This is my point , posted by you :

" Most of the chars I play in Fel don't have anything insured as it happens, but that's irrelevant to this particular "discussion".

Wenchy "

If thats not relevant in a thread about insurence I dont know what is

R

Radun

Stop trying to make Fel safer
Stop trying to make Fel lamer.
I'm not 'trying to make it safer' than it is right now. If I was supporting some new change that made it safer, I'd give you that. I'm not supporting any such change. I'm opposing a change.

The fact remains, if you really want to pvp without magic item properties and insurance, the game already includes all the features required for you to do so. Forcing everyone else (who doesn't want to pvp that way) to comply to your playstyle is not necessary.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
^

I don't see groups of 2-4 people having issues running spawns on siege...in their GM armor with throw away jewelry. They received the same boost everyone else did. Granted they would be more difficult and challenging but hey!, who says there's supposed to be some challenge and risk to playing in Fel on a Prodo shard....oh wait the devs did that's right....

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with you 100%. I will say though that 400 mil is not so unreasonable if you take luck into consideration. The suit I wore used two items worth nearly that, items I was lucky enough to craft though...not stuff I could afford to buy.

In life people strive to have nice things. They want to do well for themselves. Those who put more time and effort often times see a larger return and can get nice stuff. Why is this concept so hard for some to see in UO? UO afterall reflects the ways we respond in life...just within a controlled box.

Nice stuff IRL, nice stuff in game...we all want it. should my neighbor get my computer just because I have one and his isnt as nice? should he be able to come steal it without me having the opportunity to insure it? Should thieves have the RIGHT to steal my stuff? (well heck...go ahead and take my lawn knome "bandies and pots"and solar powered lamps "anything else not locked down in pack" but just leave the the lawnmower and my car...thanks...)*sighs*