• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FoF - Siege character slots

H

HaHa

Personally ive got every type of character already, a second slot wouldnt be of much help to me.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Easy mode? Kinda reminds me of your template... Hide, Stealth, Ninja, smoke bombs... oh nm you know what I mean :p

Nurse Miss Maude

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can do that now clean out your bank box and put every thing in your house. Delete your charater, make new one. Then go to your house eat all the scrolls and get skills off soul stones
i'm not so sure about putting it in the house thing. A character, not account, a character has to be 15 days old before it can own a house. This is a recent change. It wasn't like that prior to when i stopped playing. So even though the house is account bound. i don't know how this works. Sorry for going off track, but i think IF we are given more char slots....EA needs to publish some new char list before people start deleting chars.

C

Corrupted Goblin

Way to much to read there. I think what should be done is allow characters to create a gargoyle with the same stats and scroll caps that your current character already has. At this time your main character is given 10 soul stone frags with 1 use each to transfer all of your skills over to your new gargoyle. After creation of your gargoyle you will have 72 hours to get everything transfered at which time your original character will be deleted.

Either that or do something simpler like creating a quest.
I am against multiple characters per account on siege.

W

-Whiskey-

sorry to disappoint kage .. i am currently not skilled in all of those skills :loser:

G

GreyRobe

No one who is against a 2nd slot feels that the sheer number of skills there are now, compared to when Siege was launched, warrants a second character?
That's a valid point. But rather than a second character slot, maybe they could continue to give 5 additional skill points per year of account age, beyond year 4. That would enable templates to keep up with all the new skills they keep adding, to some extent.

Yah thats right no one on here has mentioned the whole 1 house per account thing yet have they?
Krystal mentioned it.

I think that's the single thing that would give Siege a significant population boost, an extra house per account.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, MoonglowMerchant, that post was made to try to establish what questions people would like me to put in a poll. It had nothing whatsoever to do with my personal feelings on the issue.

General comment:

y'know, I thought 'easy' and 'hard' on Siege related more to whether I could stay alive to do my crafting than to whether I could afford enough soulstones to play musical chairs with my skills. I could be wrong.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Actually, MoonglowMerchant, that post was made to try to establish what questions people would like me to put in a poll. It had nothing whatsoever to do with my personal feelings on the issue.
I really don't think we need a poll, devs can read the debat here and from the feelback page.

If you do make a poll, please make it so we can see who voted.

A

Alrich

General comment:

y'know, I thought 'easy' and 'hard' on Siege related more to whether I could stay alive to do my crafting than to whether I could afford enough soulstones to play musical chairs with my skills. I could be wrong.

/signed

G

GreyRobe

General comment:

No. When Siege first started, Trammel did not exist. You could be equally pk'd, and insurance did not exist, on any shard. The features that made Siege "hard" were ROT, 3 times the cost of goods from town vendors, the fact that you couldn't sell things to vendors, the fact that everything wore out, and only one character slot. I might have missed something, but those are the main things that made it the "hard shard".

B

Black magick

General comment:

QFT

A

Azural Kane

No. When Siege first started, Trammel did not exist. You could be equally pk'd, and insurance did not exist, on any shard. The features that made Siege "hard" were ROT, 3 times the cost of goods from town vendors, the fact that you couldn't sell things to vendors, the fact that everything wore out, and only one character slot. I might have missed something, but those are the main things that made it the "hard shard".
5 Posts? Nice.
Well that may have been the original case back when, y'know, Trammel didn't exist, and Siege was called Abyss... not Siege. Ding!

However, Trammel exists now, that was 8 years ago, and this is 2008.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll admit I wasn't around then. I've only played UO since late 2000 and only just over 2 years on Siege. How many skills did a crafter absolutely have to have in order to produce saleable weapons and armour?

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
General comment:

A lot has changed since then...

and really, you neglected the final most important thing... no statloss. Which was the main feature intended to make this shard hard to play on.

Everyone reaches the "end-game" eventually and RoT becomes meaningless... stretching out the length it took to get to the end game, made it harder... but, the purpose of this shard was total freedom to the players to police and interact with themselves.

The point you tried to make became mute when they introduced soul stones... like I said, a lot's changed.

O

Ole Cheapy

General comment:

Yeah you missed the entire point of Siege, no one ever said anything about Siege being a "hard" shard, Siege was invented for "veterans", not for those who are in love with "hard things". The purpose of siege is to force everyone to form some sort of an alliance, not to force you to buy soulstones are multiple accounts.

Case n point, having only 1 slot forces one to make alliances, causing people to compromise and work together, not just because it's "hard". ROT was ***ONLY*** formed to keep the immature/power gamers out, they wanted us to be more of a roleplaying type shard. That is it, cut and dry.

G

GreyRobe

A lot has changed since then...

and really, you neglected the final most important thing... no statloss. Which was the main feature intended to make this shard hard to play on.

Everyone reaches the "end-game" eventually and RoT becomes meaningless... stretching out the length it took to get to the end game, made it harder... but, the purpose of this shard was total freedom to the players to police and interact with themselves.

The point you tried to make became mute when they introduced soul stones... like I said, a lot's changed.
Well, it wasn't neglect that I didn't mention statloss. I admitted I might have missed something. lol, that was a long time ago and I didn't even remember that no statloss was a feature of Siege, since I never had a red.

The funny thing about RoT, which I still think is a good idea and which I also think is just about right with the new changes, is that it's actually easier, in many ways, than skill gain on a regular shard. With RoT, it's like getting a guaranteed gain every 5, 10, or 15 minutes. For instance, with healing, you can get a gain by healing just 1 or 2 points of damage to yourself all the way up to 120. On a regular shard, you have to do hundreds of rez's to get those gains. With alchemy and inscription you use far, far fewer total resources to get to GM than on a regular shard. RoT limits the population, but that's not all bad. While some growth would be good, a stampede of opportunists would not enhance the Siege experience at all.

And anyway, my only real point was that it was never the case that "'easy' and 'hard' on Siege related more to whether I could stay alive to do my crafting".

Yeah you missed the entire point of Siege
No, I only missed part of the point of Siege.

I'll admit I wasn't around then. I've only played UO since late 2000 and only just over 2 years on Siege. How many skills did a crafter absolutely have to have in order to produce saleable weapons and armour?
It depends. Things have changed so often through the history of UO that the 'perfect crafter' template, if there is such a thing, was always changing as well. But very early on, leather armor was not very desirable, so tailoring was not a must have. Smithing was better by far. Very early on, bowcrafting was good, but a few months after the game started, they nerfed archery, so smithing could pretty much fulfill all your weapon and armor needs.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And anyway, my only real point was that it was never the case that "'easy' and 'hard' on Siege related more to whether I could stay alive to do my crafting".
But, that was my point.

Anyone can obtain the end-game... but it's actually playing and interacting with people successfully that made this shard hard. There was no statloss, so people could indulge in rampant pking without any reprimand... which was the whole point.

That's what made this shard harder... more so than any of the stuff you listed.

Your inferred opinion on a second character slot... became mute when they introduced soul stones.

My point?

We should all be able to enjoy new content, without having to ruin what we've already worked so hard for.

M

MoonglowMerchant

But, that was my point.

Anyone can obtain the end-game... but it's actually playing and interacting with people successfully that made this shard hard. There was no statloss, so people could indulge in rampant pking without any reprimand... which was the whole point.

Your inferred opinion on a second character slot... became mute when they introduced soul stones.

My point?

We should all be able to enjoy new content, without having to ruin what we've already worked so hard for.
In that case, I'd suggest you start a thread asking for a quest to go from human/elf to gargoyle.

That would accomplish what you want without the need for a second slot.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But, that was my point.

My point?

In that case, I'd suggest you start a thread asking for a quest to go from human/elf to gargoyle.

The devs you love to bash have already said no quest... or I would be in favor of it.

They offered us a 2nd character slot... and I'm in favor of it.

I suggest you become someone important before you again post to me.

tah tah

G

GreyRobe

Exactly.

Let's not all hide behind a bunch of excuses. If you want Siege to more closely resemble the prodo shards, just come out and say it.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Exactly.

Let's not all hide behind a bunch of excuses. If you want Siege to more closely resemble the prodo shards, just come out and say it.
They said that they are absolutely not adding in a quest...

So the choices we have are:

1. Additional Character slot so we can enjoy the new content

2. No additional Character slot so we can not enjoy the new content.

3. Be complete idiots and keep requesting a quest that we aren't going to get.

You and moonglow are complete genius's in how you want to approach this.

Good Job.

G

GreyRobe

Good Job.

They also said they would never re-introduce soul stones.

And thanks. ;)

UncleSham

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have no intention of deleting my current characters . they have history . they are who i am in this world.

if they make the new content gargoyle specific, i will need annother slot .

the only option is to purchace an additional account which i wont do. (i can barely afford the ones i have.)

now ea might deside to get money hungry and soak the existing player base once again , but some of us are tired of getting pinched and it might make the difference between continuing to feed the project or just giving up entirely.

ea should spend more effort generating new players and not simply running the old playerbase thru the ringer AGAIN.
(how bout a little advertising and an actual shelf presance ?)

besides , weve allready learned to addapt to soulstones and name change tokens ... one more slot isnt going to kill siege .

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not see people dropping their extra accounts. They got them for a reason.
Something tells me that multiple accounts are a result of the housing issue here on SP,
and on the other shards. The single account is limited to a choice of which shard to place.
It is natural that most ppl will place to maximize their house usefulness.

At the present time, I have six characters on Atlantic with a house, and one character on
Siege Perilous with squatter privileges and the bank vault.
At times I have used placed ships for storage. Risky!
A second bank vault would really be the only reason for that second character for me.
If a second character is allowed; I am sure that I would create it, but the effort is
not what I need.
What is needed is storage! I do not keep clutter of unusable items. I am not into deco.
I make hard choices when I need to clear up space!

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please may I politely ask everyone to vote the poll I stickied, whether you vote for status quo or more slots. Because the message we *don't* want to send, by having very few total votes, is that we don't care.

O

Ole Cheapy

Good Job.

They also said they would never re-introduce soul stones.

And thanks. ;)
Awwwww... now you're getting closer! You are correct about the soulstone thing, but guess what? They figured a way to make money of the soulstones, which is exactly what they're gonna do for the extra slot. They're gonna ***SELL*** you the extra slot for the "new content". You heard it here first.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well of course, the extra slot will in all probability tie up with the 7th slot the production shards are being offered with SA. They'll want us to buy the expansion. But most of us would buy it anyway with or without another slot on Siege.