• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FoF - Siege character slots

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I used the Feedback page to tell them No Thanks!

AEowynSP

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't agree as of yet. Lord knows I am no one. What will this do to our crafters? The folks that have single accounts?
I will throw this bone back. It is not Siege...
But some of us hate crafting I think there will always be a demand for crafted goods.
Doing the bods to get runics, the quests for the extra nice item once in a while this is all very time consuming. Sure anyone can train up a crafter and whip out GM armor or furniture n such, but to truly be a crafter you need no put a little extra into your work.

A

Azural Kane

Not that Siege will ever come to a consensus on this, but they should...\

YES, one extra character slot is a GREAT idea.
Even two.

It will drastically ease gameplay, the effect on the pocketbook, and boost server population.

People that mostly don't agree with this are people who seriously, for some reason, don't mind shelling out ~$40/month or more on a video game.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there was a 2nd slot what char type would you make?

H

Hawkind

Personally I'm against it, and I only own one account.

But if it went through I don't think I'd care much, they've already screwed up this server beyond (EA)recovery anyway.

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that adding 1 more char slot per account will only make the "I died on this char, so I will quick switch to another account" factor go way up. People that currently have 3 or 4 accounts will still keep these accounts. The only difference I see is that these people will have another char to choose between from to come back into the pvp scene. For example: Player dies on A1C1 (act 1 char 1) which is a stealth dismounter. Player quickly switches to A2c1 - spellweaver mage because there are lots of enemy melee chars (keep in mind A2c2 could be any other template gimp or not). Player goes ape**** on this char and eventually dies. Player switches to A3c1or2 (either of which are gimps of any fasion. anyway u can see how it goes. the possibilities for gimping out are endless.

What I'm trying to get at is that even tho the people with mutilple accts will switch to the other char after they die, their options are still limited and therefore stuck to some sort of "personality" or "identity". With the addition of 1 extra char slot per acct these identities can change rapidly and possibly insto obscurity. "which char will righty log onto with his second account, the stealth dismounter...the stealth tamer...the dismount tamer....the stealthbok...the necro mage..." u see what im saying tho possiblities are endless.
/end drunkrant
You cant just log out of a character thats in flea on the same account you gotta wait 2 mins and find a safe log out spot.

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i want 2 character slots, I can spend 12.99 vs 25.99 like I said before. You could also make a blue righty and get all the scrolls eaten and use your soulstones from your red righty for him and play a blue character as well which I think would really change siege for the better

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Even two.

It will drastically ease gameplay, the effect on the pocketbook, and boost server population.

People that mostly don't agree with this are people who seriously, for some reason, don't mind shelling out ~$40/month or more on a video game.
excatly, im at the point where i dont even wana spend the 12.99 I have invested with them every month.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'd make a 3rd crafter, because with imbuing in the next publish I can't fit everything I want to on Molly and Dee.

Every crafter who actually makes things will need Smithing, tailoring, armslore, imbuing and mining as a minimum.

I'd give Molly her mining back off the stone (because I'm really tired of not being able to smelt what she smiths), keep her smithing, tailoring, armslore, carpentry, small amount of tinkering and magery, add imbuing. Give her lumberjack and bowcraft to the new char.

The new char would have lumberjack and bowcraft, train armslore, imbuing and carpentry (to be able to cut the boards) magery and maybe enough fishing to reliably catch fish to sell to owners of bake kitsunes.

Dee, being on another account, would drop mining to learn imbuing to go with her armslore and gm tinkering. Enhancing/imbuing hatchets, cleavers, butcher's knives etc.

A

archite666

Even two.

Exactly my point, ease gameplay, they have a word for that-

its called Trammel.

I still think this is a step toward prodo, were gonna keep asking for changes and changes and eventually somebody may say" hey! I want a place where I cant be attacked!" Bam! Trammel.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be honest, I think you're over simplifying.

Most of the pvpers on this shard already play several characters on one account. One day they're a ninja archer, another day they're a samurai, yet another they're mage or maybe a tamer. What's the real difference between having 2 characters on an account and one character with numerous different templates on soulstones? Other than the character has the same name?

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would make a treasure hunter, with all the music skills (I refuse to do taming!). Also, I would pick up some soulstones and mke a stealth herder (I can't let Aeowyn have all the fun! we need more herders here!:D )

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly my point, ease gameplay, they have a word for that-

its called Trammel.

I still think this is a step toward prodo, were gonna keep asking for changes and changes and eventually somebody may say" hey! I want a place where I cant be attacked!" Bam! Trammel.
I believe those are called peerless bosses.

A

Alrich

Hmm well, my thoughts..

FIrst off I don't think it is going to eliminate people's secondary accounts and income. Its not like you can transfer char from the account to your main one. That and it will let us siegers try a gargoyle without upgrading multiple accounts or deleting our characters.

About being able to soulstone skills onto a new char and have an instantly trained char, so what? Its not like you didn't have to work the skill on the stone, you still spend the time in ROT training it. Soulstones shouldnt have ever been put in but they were, and such is life. Still.

Maybe im just being self centered but I atleast would like to try out a gargoyle when they come out here on siege without having to start paying for an additional account or having to play a gargoyle in trammeland

G

GreyRobe

I think I saw Cheapsuit say in a post recently that the reason Siege doesn't have more players is not because of how long it takes to gain skill, but because of players like him (and I'll add Wyrm, Krystal, etc.) I absolutely agree with that. That's not a complaint, it's just the way it is. I enjoy the element of risk, but there just aren't all that many players who like the risks which you can't escape anywhere, anytime on Siege.

Sure, you can get an inflow of people each time you Trammelize Siege a little further, but as soon as they realize they can still be killed while doing their daily bank sitting, or hiding in their house, most of them will head back to Trammel. As soon as they get killed for offending the wrong person, most will run back to where they can do all the bad-mouthing they want without having to back it up. Most are simply not willing to do without their blessed uber gear and lack of consequenses for having a big mouth.

I say no to a second character slot. It's just another step toward the Trammelization of Siege. In the long run it won't boost the population significantly, if at all; it will only take us another step closer to Siege Trammelous.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No one who is against a 2nd slot feels that the sheer number of skills there are now, compared to when Siege was launched, warrants a second character?

And Cheapsuit and Wyrm's shenanigans only scare off the people who won't be able to make it here anyway. My char was still in the clothes the game created her with the first time she fell at Cheapsuit's feet. I'm still here, a middleaged, no pvp skill, crafting granny.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they do it both charaters should have the same name. It would be funny to see a Insolent blue crafter named Wyrm.

B

Black magick

That would depend on if my brother would want to play again or not. If he wanted to I would also throw open Call's account do he could make his necro to screw around on. So if i did that i would make a pvmer/pvper of some sort, probably a chiv bush archer/meleer. If not I would choose to do that, or I'd make a mage.

A

archite666

Yes lets not forget that being red will no longer matter just like on prodo, once you farm your scrolls, poof! no more counts.

a blue krystal?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yes lets not forget that being red will no longer matter just like on prodo, once you farm your scrolls, poof! no more counts.

a blue krystal?
Hell will freeze over before we will see a blue Krystal or WyRm without their counts.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

a blue krystal?

You can do that now clean out your bank box and put every thing in your house. Delete your charater, make new one. Then go to your house eat all the scrolls and get skills off soul stones

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a blue krystal?
would last about a week at the most, probably less, before both chars were red. As would most others who normally play a red.

I remember when there was a general amnesty for reds on production shards because of a bug. There was a race to get red again before the end of the first day.

B

Black magick

You can do that now clean out your bank box and put every thing in your house. Delete your charater, make new one. Then go to your house eat all the scrolls and get skills off soul stones
QFT

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

a blue krystal?
i cant play a blue, they always seem to go red:(

anyway soulstones alrdy make it seem like we have more slots. so i really see no difference then adding 1 extra char slot...
you all know how i a play, i would never ever want the tramilization of sp to happen!! i'd quit! i just don't see how an extra slot would cause this.

B

Black magick

Also, for you guys who are saying an extra character slot wouldn't bring anyone in. Heres a quote from the thread in U-hall.
"Theres 2 things keeping me from going to Siege full time. 1) lack of characters and yes even 2 is good enough to get me there.
2) ROT.. and if this change actually goes through it might make it a little easier to play there as a new player."

O

Ole Cheapy

Wake the hell up people, this **** is long over due. Sometimes things need to be changed in order to keep people's attention, this may very well get some of our vets back, and it definitely will bring in more new players. Let the damn past go, people, we need a change or this shard is gonna be wiped completely out in less than 12 months!

S

Sweeney

Do you really think adding a second slot will make Siege the "place to be"? A second character only invites guild/faction spies, mules, etc at no cost. I for one want new Siege players for the sake of an exciting, rewarding experience.

I was an old beta player, and just returned a few months ago (thank you gov't loans). As a newish player it made me sick and hopeless to see 10 yr vets with the best equipment imaginable on trammel and with no chance of them losing it.

I am fairly new on Siege but I like the status quo; as I've posted before, the only gargoyles I want to see are new players that are only gargoyles. Trust me people, gargoyles will not be the best thing to hit UO since Richard Garriot leaving (horrible joke there). Gargoyles will be as balanced as all the other races. The only nifty thing about them is their newness, which will wear off.

I could see a human/elf to gargoyle quest, even if i'd like to see a community of only new gargoyles which would be very exciting for them.. but please no 2nd slot.

PS: I am a poor college student who cannot afford 2 accounts.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Not sure, I would like to try something new, I had been an archer for 10 years now. I think Freja would get a red sister with a different skills.

I would also like to have treasure hunter so Tina Tink would get a sister too.

Not sure with my other two accounts Red Rose and Rosalia, but I would not close them, I like the chars on them.

I really hope for at least one char slot more and I can't see how it will hurt Siege.
Alot new Siege players get bored when their char is done, more slots would give them more freedom to try out other templates.

It's about time we take a look at out old Siege rules and gives up some of them and make Siege more like UO year 1997. Maybe it was meant to be a veteran shard but if the players want a PvP shard, then lets make Siege the PvP shard UO need.

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
most players (I'd guess 90% ) on SP have more then one account. so whats the real difference? instead of having 2 account u can have one with 2 chars on it with the same out come, but pay osi less money...

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think more people would be willing to try factions with a second character per account :blushing:

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really do not think adding one chr. slot per acct. will really matter either way.

Basically I see it as EA UO knowing that puny as it may be they do have a player base on SIEGE. No one or hardly anyone will be willing to mess over human or elf full done chrs. to possibly dumb them to become gargoyles..course with soul stones soul stone fragments and scrolls on that acct. anyhow..it could be done literally dumping *insert fully deleloped chr name here* to create a new species chr. and then use all the stones and scrolls they had on the chr. they may have to delete to become a gargoyle chr. But..since this is all a pain in the arse ..they are thinking they maybe can get Siege customers to buy the new expansion IF we get a new slot..to use for experimentation of said expansion new chr. species race etc. less hassle less balking to spend to buy some expansion.

I did NOT turn my main crafter into no darn elf she is HUMAN and I will not be turning her into any gargoyle either..but with every expansion they thrust tons of must have this must have that to now make new craftables ...plus all the OTHER overlapping skills we are as crafters all stuck with having to have to make diddly worth a flip. They NEED TO REDO crafting period...so that one does not have to have one chr. suffocating to have to have smithing AND carpentry to make a forge yet have to have on that same carpenter tailoring too..high enough to make a loom..and magery high enough to make pentagrams..and etc. etc too much overlapping AND even with 120 tailoring then we HAD TO ADD HAVE TO HAVE ARMSLORE..now Imbuing too ?? NO they need to remake and fix crafting in general so adding a 2nd slot with soulstones, soulstone fragments and scrolls still encumbers any crafter and they need to rethink crafting in general making it all less suffocating where ya have to have this skill AND a myriad of others just to make anything..as say a carpenter or smith or tailor or tinker or whatevers...yet they keep on doing this.

Adding yet another slot basically is just offering those whom play here..a second slot to experiment with buying the new expansion to make a new race type of chr. or anyone else that may wish to have a second slot to maybe add a different template to their acct. or race or something. With soul stones etc. and so many here whom do have multiple accts adding that second slot really won't change much cuz not everyone will use that 2nd chr. to make crafters nor pvpers ..maybe they will just use it to make some fun chr. and it will offer anyone freshly wishing to try Siege two slots one to make maybe a fighter or maybe a crafter or just make a human or elf ..and then room for one more to make garg chr. to play around with and have fun in the new expansion...so two slots could help some thinking maybe to try Siege..and help some whom just would not change their full made chr. to begin a new one even with soulstones and scrolls on their acct. to use for new race...they enjoy the existant done chr. they may have..and do not want to torch that one slot chr. up to make some newbie gargoyle for some new expansion that we do not yet even know if we will like or ..not.

So I see it as merely a marketing tool ..they know we would have some issues maybe and possibly NOT buy that expansion untill or unless we have a second slot TO create a new race chr. So they offering the poll to us...personally I don't think it will change Siege one way or the other. Many of us have multiple accts. as is, assorted chrs. templates on them...may not be willing to change em nor sacrafice whom they are for no new race but would like to TRY it..second slot offers us that chance to do so...offers new ones here 2 chances over 1 to make a viable chr. here IF they wish to stay here..yet with all the soulstones many of us have...WE ARE and BEEN more than one template on ONE CHR. since the intro of soulstones the concept of one chr. ie one template per acct is fubared anyways...we can be on one acct. on one chr. many templates with soulstones just is a pain in butt to switch around all the time..so a second slot may lighten our own load to in trying to be all we can be on our chrs. on each acct. The second slot will just offer US too more leg room nothing more. So I just do not see any real issues with a second chr. slot per acct. here..some of us are an *Army* with soulstones on ONE chr. one acct. now..or on our 2-5 accts we have active anyways here.

As for accountability...we are not that huge in population that sooner or later every one ..knows whom is whom anyways..even with new chr. new names it never takes long to know the wheat from the shaft here. :)

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1 more thought, how many people would really close any accounts? cause we still gotta consider houses are 1 per account...

Nurse Miss Maude

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they give us more char slots i'll be closing down an account. i have a house on Atlantic, i don't really need. i can live out of boats there. And to be honest, i've thought about buying soul stones. Enough to make one char act as two and shutting down an account.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been reading this thread and have seen people say... we'll get more faction/guild spies, every char class will become generic, there will be no accountability, it's more trammel bleedover.....well, guess what??? All of that has already happened because of soulstones, people owning more than one account, and the devs not considering us with every patch and expansion.

I do not think a second char slot can hurt Siege any further than it already has been. We will never get back the past. I know I would like to see more people here, and if a second slot would be enough for someone to come give us a try, then bring it! This will still be a hard shard. It still won't be for everyone.

I know E nor I will not shut down any accounts bc every one holds a house.

Are we done getting pissed yet? Is someone going to make a poll or what?? :lick:

Three Questions-

DO you want a second char slot? yes/no/ undecided
Would you shut down any accounts? yes/no/undecided
What type of char would you make? list char types

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just to keep things clear for the devs, should we include 'do you want more than one additional char slot?' A resounding 'no' would convey a definite message I think?

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just to keep things clear for the devs, should we include 'do you want more than one additional char slot?' A resounding 'no' would convey a definite message I think?
I know Im all for it! And is it correct that next tues/wends pub 55 will be active in game and rot changes will be in on siege? If so woot!!!

Czarina

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think more people would be willing to try factions with a second character per account :blushing:
If for some odd reason we did get a second character slot I for one would make a secondary faction crafter. On account two I would have my fighting character with a secondary character mirrored to it in factions. this way i could have fun on both sides.

Im still saying that gargoyles are stupid/********/idiotic/dumb/and just plain waste of time. Why do we need another race? Wasnt elves bad enough? I highly doubt that elves or gargoyles bring people to UO. Its the player base and freedom to do just about anything in game. Whats next? werewolves? trolls? Oh wait ORC would come back if you could actually play as a Orc race? rofl. That would pick siege back up to have the ORCs back.

As for the second character slot I really dont know. Sure id love to be able to close some accounts but for the amount of time and money ive put into my other accounts id hate to close them so they can collect dust. Plus then i would loose my 65461651 houses! lol

Yah thats right no one on here has mentioned the whole 1 house per account thing yet have they? I know theres a ton of you out there with multiple houses blocking the spots i want! *coughs* clearing near wind....(paying lots of gold for that spot btw) Anyways a second character slot is a neat idea but i dont really see it worthwhile. We played for this long on one character slot and no one left cause of that. You want new people to come fix the current problems ROT, factions etc. Dont waste time adding when theres so much we would like to see fixed.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure where you heard that Puffy, as far as I'm aware publish 55 may hit Origin this week, but I doubt if we'll see it till next week tbh.

Sorting out questions to make a poll:

1. Would you be in favour of one extra character slot on Siege?

2. Would you be in favour of more than one extra character slot on Siege?

3. Would an additional character cause you to close an account? (please be honest with yourself on this one :p - I've a suspicion most could, but probably won't if it actually happens.)

What additional questions do you want in this poll?

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to ignore any questions that I consider to be submitted for the purpose of trolling. :lick:

M

Masuo Kenji

I'll put my brief thoughts down:

I learned over time that a large majority of longtime siege players have multiple accounts, around the 2-4 range (and sometimes more). People can claim that there is a loss of accountability with a 2nd character slot, but like Patty said, it has already happened.

Due to soulstones, folks owning multiple accounts, people selling and trading accounts, it's sometimes hard to keep track of people already. Eventually though, people "in the know" will find out who your new character belongs to anyways, due to the tight community here on Siege.

A 2nd slot is not going to change much. All it will do is lighten the load on our wallets. Think of it as getting something back for all the extra money we've given to EA due to our multiple accounts.

Maybe I can make that non-combat character I always wanted to make. Forensic Evaluation, HERE I COME!!

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure where you heard that Puffy, as far as I'm aware publish 55 may hit Origin this week, but I doubt if we'll see it till next week tbh.

3. Would an additional character cause you to close an account? (please be honest with yourself on this one :p - I've a suspicion most could, but probably won't if it actually happens.)

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to ignore any questions that I consider to be submitted for the purpose of trolling. :lick:
What type of char would you make?
We can get as detailed as we want with the choices.
- PvP
- PK
- PvM
- Thief
- Crafter
- Treasure Hunter

G

Gunn4r

Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but with 1 char slot you could soulstone all your skills and store your junk in a friends house. Delete your char and make a gargoyle and stone the skills onto the new char.

M

MoonglowMerchant

1. NO

2. HELL NO

3. N/A

Let me save you the trouble.

I don't care if having a second character would make Siege easier for you.

In fact, I don't want Siege to be easier for you. If there are more crafting skills than you can fit on one character, too darn bad.

You can't afford a second account? I'm sorry but too frigging bad.

You don't have seven soulstones? I'm sorry but that is just your bad luck.

SIEGE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SELF SUFFICIENT. YOU WANT MULTIPLE CHARACTERS GO PLAY ON ATLANTIC.