• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Faction support mage template

G

Wondering what people would think is the best pvp faction support mage given my circumstances.
- I'm poor, so I can't afford the best throwaway equipment.
- I seem to have the biggest trouble with melee/archers as they seem to all be running 30+ HCI and they keep hitting me.
- My main purpose is guild support, I toss the x-heals and invis', let the guildmates do the killing.

Gonna try and get to the normal base skills:
120 mage
120 med
120 eval
120 resist
120 wrestle

So it's the last 100 skill points that I'm wondering what to do with. Options are scribe, parry, or I'm leaning towards nox.

Benefits/drawbacks I can think of each are:

Scribe -

Equipment I'd run:
Scrappers (blessed)
1/2 ring/bracelet - no special mods
0/1, 0/2, or 0/3 ring with 10+ DCI

Benefits -
- Very popular, 10% damage increase.

Drawbacks -
- I can't see how 10% damage is all that great, plus as I mostly do the - healing, so damage doesn't help much.
- 10%+ DCI vs 30%+ HCI, I'll still get hammered by dexxers.

Parry -

Equipment -
Arcane Shield (blessed)
1/2 bracelet/ring - no special mods
0/2, 0/3 - 10 DCI
40 Dex, 60 Dex w/greater Agility

Benefits -
25 DCI + 30% parry chance, I should be able to deal with dexxers

Drawbacks -
While it would be harder for melee/archers to hit me, doubt I'll be able to kill em w/out any SDI.

80 Nox/40 or so focus -
Scrappers (blessed)
1/2 ring/bracelet - no special mods
0/1, 0/2, or 0/3 ring with 10+ DCI

Benefits -
- I've noticed fewer and fewer melee/archer templates running resist, so dp will overcome orange petals.
- DP fields in field combat are nice, and can work well in 1 on 1 against melee/archer stealthers.
- More damage than parry, less than scribe.

Drawbacks -
- Still will get hit a lot.

Thoughts?

G

Bruin, the best I can do as a faction mage is field the base. That is not a bad thing. Factions is all about team. The warriors get the glory. The team wins though. Sometimes it is the unrewarded folk that shine.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Bruin, the best I can do as a faction mage is field the base.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys still haven't learned to crossheal? Geez...

T

Tark_Smash

Mages get whacked in the field since they are the only ones visable. This is a good support temp.

Mage 120
Med 110
Eval 120
Anat 80
Ninja 115
Hide 100
Stealth 75

G

i think the best support skill combo in the game is 120 magery and 120 spellweaving. If you are running a good level arcane focus you can put gift of renewal on people that can heal like over 250 damage. Also you can heal them with magery and do all that stuff. as long as you get that spell on the person before they die anybody can live through a big gank with that supporter even dismounted.

G

<blockquote><hr>

i think the best support skill combo in the game is 120 magery and 120 spellweaving. If you are running a good level arcane focus you can put gift of renewal on people that can heal like over 250 damage. Also you can heal them with magery and do all that stuff. as long as you get that spell on the person before they die anybody can live through a big gank with that supporter even dismounted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...you really got me thinking about spellweaving now....

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. GG is right. In fact Bruin, if you are to be in a support/healing role EXCLUSIVELY, I'd try this:

120 Mage
120 Med
120 Focus
120 Spellweaving
120 Wrestle
120 Resist

Screw eval, use summons if you need to join the attack. This will also simplify your macro set. (If you want to run a SDI mage and have NEVER run a mage before, prepare yourself for MASSIVE frustration learning 50+ macros. Not to mention spell timing, combos, switching between "x-heal mode" and "offensive mode", etc...)

If you are (or plan on being) red on this mage, I would advise against going nox mage. You guys fight way too much in Luna to be dropping poison fields as a red that close to guard zone.

G

if you want to be a supporter, id consider this:

120 magery
120 meditation
120 resist
80 poisoning
40 chivalry

then pick two of the following skills (this will depend on how offensive/defensive you will be)

wrestling, spellweaving, parrying, focus, taming, alore, hiding, stealth, necro, spiritspeak, eval, anatomy, healing, bushido. (in random order)

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

if you want to be a supporter, id consider this:

120 magery
120 meditation
120 resist
80 poisoning
40 chivalry

then pick two of the following skills (this will depend on how offensive/defensive you will be)

wrestling, spellweaving, parrying, focus, taming, alore, hiding, stealth, necro, spiritspeak, eval, anatomy, healing, bushido. (in random order)

[/ QUOTE ]

I pick...... stealth and animal lore!

G

Vaype's right. Mages tend to get whacked because everyone else is hidden and you are not. Newt's many, many corpses around Luna attest to that, and to my inability to pvp well with a mage.

Still, as a support character for factions, mages are really useful.

Nox is fun, but not really that useful because everyone runs a zillion cure pots and if you use poison fields in a faction battle, it just means that the poisoned enemy can get thru your para fields faster. Strangely, nox is better for pvm.

Focus, scribe, or spellweaving are probably the best for support roles.

I

imported_dexdash

yeah you know another way that might help you stay alive with the archers is necro (40 skill) for the blood oath and evil omen. nothing makes a dexxor run away faster than a blood oath. chast on them then start healing yourself like mad

G

Actually, I'm going to stop trying to play a mage in Luna, keeping him for spawns and faction fighting at the base.

Switching to a stealth tamer or dismounter like everybody else.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Nox is fun, but not really that useful because everyone runs a zillion cure pots and if you use poison fields in a faction battle, it just means that the poisoned enemy can get thru your para fields faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure why you would want to cast para fields anyways, they can just drink a poison pot, cast a delayed spell on them or use a trapped box to get through anyways. casting 20 poisonfields back to back will be much more efficient, try to drink some curepots in there.

G

no begging and camping, geesh herding is so unuseful these days.