• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

~~~ Epic Factions/PVP Event Being Planned ~~~

G

<font color=red>Event Forum: </font color=red>An event forum has been setup to discuss ideas and ask questions. Click here to go there.

I am currently planning a large scale PVP event to be held in a couple weeks on the Atlantic shard. The main highlight will be as many guilds as possible entering factions for 1 week (duration may be extended if participation is high enough) and fighting it out. There may be other events such as PVP tournaments held before, during or after the factions event.

Currently 3 major Atlantic guilds are committed to the event representing well over 100 players. This number is expected to double within a couple days as more guilds come on board. There are already more players entering this event than are currently in factions on every UO shard. The tentative date for this event is early March, which gives plenty of time for individuals or entire groups from other shards to make plans for attending.

If you have any interest in PVP then you don't want to miss out on this event. More information will be coming soon. For greater and the latest details click here. If you have any questions either ask in this topic, send me a private message or ICQ me.

Teaser Movie
A short movie has been created to hype the event. Click here to view.

G

I'm really surprised this didn't get a single reply yet. I posted about this on an extremely old UO guild's forum that has quit UO for 5+ years and has only had 10 posts in the past month. The topic now has 15 replies in a single day.

G

*narrows eyes* Are you saying you care for the faction system? What this fellow is doing is a good thing. There is just nothing I can do to help him. I am on Siege. There is no way I will play anywhere else.

G

We Siege players are were we are. I totally support this effort to make factions a fun thing. I would hope that folks that can jump shards will do that. I can not. I could not build a worthy fighter on a regular shard.

G

A foreign shard and facet for me, but I've often wondered if there was a way to work in "support from Tram" (resources, crafts, something) into factions somehow as a way of getting non-PvPers to get excited about these events/arcs.

( Good luck and good carnage to all! )

G

Sounds like fun! I'm sure more will become involved in the coming weeks, JC. Hope it turns out a success...

G

I'll talk to my chums, but I doubt there will be much interest due to location.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

*narrows eyes* Are you saying you care for the faction system? What this fellow is doing is a good thing. There is just nothing I can do to help him. I am on Siege. There is no way I will play anywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]
In that Vein ... Siege Perilous would be the Ideal Test Bed ... for fixing Factions ...
rebuilding Factions, reforming Factions ...
Mind ya ...
It would be the bare knuckle last man standing winner take all ... version ...
ie
the basics
THEN ... you could put on the gloves and head gear and insurance and ring doctors ... well
Prodo versions ...

Just Saying ...

C

Clx-

My guild and I would transfer just for this. Unfortunately the same problems that have needed fixing for years still ruin any chance of fun in the faction system, even for a week.

G

<blockquote><hr>

My guild and I would transfer just for this. Unfortunately the same problems that have needed fixing for years still ruin any chance of fun in the faction system, even for a week.

[/ QUOTE ]
The goal is to have huge battles and lots of fun like the old days. We got through all the bugs back then and can do so for a week or two. Factions isn't so much broken anymore as it has no good reward for doing it.

C

Clx-

Didn't mean to sound so negative. It's a good thing.

Draconi seems as you're interested in this, put back in faction reprieve for a week and a lot more people will get involved. My friends and I don't have good blue characters to take part with and i'm sure the same goes for a lot of people.

G

There is no point in having a murderer reprieve for factions when they can now enter towns. That was the whole reason for having it.

imported_EricksonYates

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seeing as I am on Atlantic, and supposedly I am the Atlantic Stratics Felucca Reporter, count me in as a member of one of the four factions. Which one that is, I have no idea. It shall be one of them when the time comes though.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Do you not do crosshealing on Atlantic?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't foresee much fighting inside towns as much as in faction bases. With Magincia guards removed, only the True Britannians in Britain have a guard zone right in front of their base. If you are a murderer just avoid the guard zones. There will be plenty of other areas to fight in.

G

As you're well aware I don't pvp and I've never played factions.

But I do know: Blue heals red = grey. Blue rezes red = grey, heck even friending a red to my beetle for a trade makes me grey!

= I become public enemy number 1 for any blue in the area. For some reason 'grey' seems an even more popular target than 'red' sometimes.

Is this what you're trying to explain?

C

chitrani

Heehee, this sounds like fun !

What made me quite factions last time I accidentally joined were two things :

1. Other players not being able to heal or Rez me during the Magincia invasion in Trammel.

2. The fact that I couldn't PK a two year old. Honest, I'm a clueless Trammie.

You seem to have gotten Draconi's attention, so maybe he will take care of the first. (crosses fingers, she can hope can't she;)

The second... well, I'll prolly create a new character and try it anyway. But maybe there could be folks on hand to teach us Trammie tinkerers how to hold the swords we make?

Sounds like fun though, maybe it'll catch on and happen on some other shards :p

Chitrani (clueles trammie who still wishes she could wield her frying pan or rolling pin as a weapon

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
as i mentioned on the faction post of the same title and story line, myself and the lads (and laddettes) from YAD will be there, heck... where allready IN factions on ATL.

and JC, have you guys figured out what is going to happen with those big guilds?
cause i assume those guys have more then 1 toon from each account in those 'big' guilds you mentioned?

anyways, we will be there and ready.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Columbus Atlantic Event Fund is willing to sponsor the event with 60 Million gold to help for prizes and such. ICQ me to work something out.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be sure to gear up my PvPer and attend.

Also, if you need funds for rewards or for the logistics, feel free to PM me. I/E-E [the shopping mall I am a part of] are willing to donate some gold/items.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If guardzones were turned off I'd consider transfering, even with the awful ping we'll have.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

But I do know: Blue heals red = grey. Blue rezes red = grey, heck even friending a red to my beetle for a trade makes me grey!

= I become public enemy number 1 for any blue in the area. For some reason 'grey' seems an even more popular target than 'red' sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, it's for when we have fights against enemies, and it spills into town - which it will. They can freely cross heal each other, while we as reds can't, thus making it pointless to participate in a system that's based in towns - through sigils and so forth

G

I hope this event will be huge. I wish that it will draw attention to some of the things that need some looking at in the faction system.

G

As Nixon says, it's inevitable that many fights will gravitate towards guardzones. For heroes like ourselves who not only have deep red characters, and prefer to fight in small teams rather than huge groups such as the vocal warriors of Atlantic do, this is the biggest issue involved in any participation.
It's a huge advantage that would make weight of numbers the only thing neccasary to beat us in 9 out of 10 situations.
Fighting 4v10 out of a guardzone is fun, but inside, it's an exercise in futility regardless of flagging.
We could of course just join our factions throng and gank people instead, but that's no fun.

Ping issues would be irritating, but can be overlooked, however game mechanics like this make it impossible, as it's easy to forsee simple frustration and annoyance rather than fun from the situation.

As Clx- says, I don't want to be negative at all, I think it's a respectable attempt and encourage anyone without these issues we personally have to take part.
The PvP styles of Atlantic and Europa/Drachenfels are fundementaly different, it would be great to see them pitted up against one another.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Your fellow faction members are unlikely to kill you whether you are blue/red/grey. I am going to talk to each guildmaster and request that they keep the team killing as low as possible. Also anyone who does will be ostracized, being placed on everyone's hit list. If you want to kill someone join the faction opposite from them.

There will undoubtedly be greifers. But if you stay blue then they would have to be murderers, which can easily be taken care of.
<blockquote><hr>

If guardzones were turned off I'd consider transfering, even with the awful ping we'll have.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are going to be plenty of places to fight besides guard zones. I have also thought up a faction related event in which everyone will be no where near a guard zone.

G

I would give it a try if not:

Im from EU, and ping like 350 to ATL

When you got primetime ill be asleep!

G

I don't PVP worth a damn, but I definately be there to watch the excitement, gray or not. LOL

By the way, my main shard is Napa.

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a bug with the SL faction base that ghosts couldn't leave. Not sure if that has been fixed yet. Not to mention the 1st character issue.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

I hope this event will be huge. I wish that it will draw attention to some of the things that need some looking at in the faction system.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of 'em. I'm sure Draconi will be directing his attention to the faction forum where we have some feature requests and bug reports ready for him.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I would give it a try if not:

Im from EU, and ping like 350 to ATL

When you got primetime ill be asleep!

[/ QUOTE ]
So it would be exactly like back in 2000 when a lot of people were still on dialup =]
<blockquote><hr>

There was a bug with the SL faction base that ghosts couldn't leave. Not sure if that has been fixed yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just went to check, it is still broken. I can't recall whether it has always been like that. I'll be sure to put out a note that people should gate anyone trapped there out when appropriate.

G

JC, do you think these faction "rules" will have any effect on what you are trying to do?

If any faction contains 200 or more members, then the load balance system will perform a check every time someone tries to join any faction. The system checks to see if the if the largest faction is as large or larger than three times the size of the smallest faction.
If the largest faction is in fact three times as large as the smallest faction, then the player attempting to join will need to choose another faction to join. So for example, if the Shadowlords Faction had 200 members and the other three factions each had 1 member, then players trying to join the Shadowlords would be informed that they must join one of the other factions. To continue this example, if the Shadowlords had 200 members and the other factions had between 68 and 200 members each, then players could join any of the factions. This range can go up above 200 members, but the largest faction must remain no larger than 3 times the size of the smallest faction. If a large guild attempts to join a faction, and that join would put that faction out of the range (no larger than three times the size of the smallest faction), then that guild would not be able to join that faction. However, they may try to join another faction.

If a particular member of the guild has another character elsewhere on that same account and same shard in a faction, then that member will be removed from the guild attempting to join. This is to allow the guild to go ahead and join the faction without overlapping the system of one character per account per shard within a faction.
The ejected guildmember can quit the faction his or her other character is in and re-join the guild they were ejected from if desired.
If a player has two or more characters within the same guild from the same account, and that guild then joins a faction, then one of their characters will be joined to the faction and remain in the guild. The other character or characters will be removed from the guild.
If the guildmaster of the guild falls under this condition, then their guildmaster character will remain in the guild, while their other characters within that same guild, and on the same account, will be removed from the guild.

I

imported_Tina Small

Another place where a ghost can potentially get stuck, or at least be inconvenienced, is on the Magincia docks. Once your little ghost runs down the steps to take the teleporter, you are committed to going in that direction, you cannot go back up the steps to wander around in Magincia. If you then take the teleporter over to Trinsic, your ghost will be stuck on the dock there if there are too many guards, vendors, dock rats and cats, etc. blocking the dock. (Don't know what they do in Napa for getting a rez after dying in Magincia because the whole Trinsic dock area is completely walled off from the rest of town.)

I really hope people won't use these things and stuff like the 20-minute skill loss period after dying in factions as excuses not to participate. Some people do things like blowing themselves up on the traps or using some other suicide method if they think they're going to die so they don't have the skill loss. Other people take advantage of being dead to scout around and check on stuff they couldn't get to when alive. And of course it's a good time to go take a breather, figure out what to try next, etc.

Factions can truly be a blast, especially if you love cat-and-mouse, cloak and dagger sort of stuff and you believe in teamwork, patience, and persistence.

G

<blockquote><hr>

So it would be exactly like back in 2000 when a lot of people were still on dialup =]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but back then i played vs other people also using dial-up's! Not people with 100mb lines lol

G

With further thought and discussion, if there was a one time reprieve for an event like this, I would do it.
Not that I would expect it to be a possible occurance between now and then. Just something worth bearing in mind.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

sounds like fun
only thing i didn't like about factions was getting ganked at bank

G

<blockquote><hr>

Another place where a ghost can potentially get stuck, or at least be inconvenienced, is on the Magincia docks. Once your little ghost runs down the steps to take the teleporter, you are committed to going in that direction, you cannot go back up the steps to wander around in Magincia. If you then take the teleporter over to Trinsic, your ghost will be stuck on the dock there if there are too many guards, vendors, dock rats and cats, etc. blocking the dock. (Don't know what they do in Napa for getting a rez after dying in Magincia because the whole Trinsic dock area is completely walled off from the rest of town.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm having teleporters created in Trinsic and Magincia to facilitate travel. Unlike the boat versions, these will go from one piece of solid terrain to another, circumventing problems with ghosts on top of dynamic objects like you brought up.

The moongate to Magincia will still, however, be disabled for the foreseeable future.

I would expect the teleporters to be available tomorrow.

G

This sounds very cool! Two requests:

JC, when you have all the kinks worked out, please email me the details so I can pimp it in the FoF - or just fill out the Event Submission Form and then email me to say you've done it, so I know to link to it.

Also, everyone who participates and decides they have an opinion or observation about factions, by all means send me feedback - this will be a great chance to get a nice high volume of data from some people who aren't as entrenched.

I

imported_AustinRules

Question.....as a Fel rookie why do we still have reds? I thought they were colored red for attacking innocents in the days before Fel/Tram. Now that we have both non-pvp Tram and Fel where killing anyone is okay, all the innoncents have long ago been murdered, why do we still have reds. Get rid of their complicating rules and allows reds to go to Tram for events.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

I'm having teleporters created in Trinsic and Magincia to facilitate travel. Unlike the boat versions, these will go from one piece of solid terrain to another, circumventing problems with ghosts on top of dynamic objects like you brought up.

The moongate to Magincia will still, however, be disabled for the foreseeable future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Draconi, this sounds great. Can you please please also take a look at the Trinsic dock area on Napa? I looked at it a few weeks ago and could not figure out how to get to the docks. I was on a new character that had no magery and no funds, so I didn't get a chance to see if you can get to the docks by teleporting from another part of Trinsic into that area (shadow jumping didn't work) and couldn't afford a boat. Just trying to walk in did not work because the wall west of the dock area is completely solid where it has entrances on the other shards. Trying to walk in through the stable and inn also didn't work.

And have you had any chance to come up with another solution for getting out of the SL base as a ghost? Could you possibly replace the staircase at the south end with a ramp?

Thanks.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

Also, everyone who participates and decides they have an opinion or observation about factions, by all means send me feedback - this will be a great chance to get a nice high volume of data from some people who aren't as entrenched.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeremy, I'm going to say this as nicely as I can, but does your statement above mean that you normally don't pay any attention to what the "faction diehards" have to say? If yes, that's quite a blow.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Draconi, this sounds great. Can you please please also take a look at the Trinsic dock area on Napa? I looked at it a few weeks ago and could not figure out how to get to the docks. I was on a new character that had no magery and no funds, so I didn't get a chance to see if you can get to the docks by teleporting from another part of Trinsic into that area (shadow jumping didn't work) and couldn't afford a boat. Just trying to walk in did not work because the wall west of the dock area is completely solid where it has entrances on the other shards. Trying to walk in through the stable and inn also didn't work.

And have you had any chance to come up with another solution for getting out of the SL base as a ghost? Could you possibly replace the staircase at the south end with a ramp?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as the docks on Napa, have you tried the south entrance? It's gated in Fel, but one portcullis is open (the far north one).

A solution for the SL base is going to be a separate issue, and it won't be resolve by this coming publish, for instance. It may be that we add in teleporters that allow sigils to be carried through, or actually resolve the terrain problems later.

I

imported_AustinRules

Much of Trinsic on Napa was sealed off in a good EM event a couple years ago. You can get to the docks by going through a metal gate by clicking it....most of the other avenues have been blocked. I forget exactly where the gate is since I made a rune to the docks but it is a gated exit/entrance on the wall near the dock area.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

As far as the docks on Napa, have you tried the south entrance? It's gated in Fel, but one portcullis is open (the far north one).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure we're talking about the same portcullis, Draconi. When I get home, I'll make some screen shots and put them on the Faction Forum for you to look at.

G

Not at all - it means I have a year's worth of steady data on what faction diehards want, but it'd be really interesting to see what faction newbies think of it, too.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

Much of Trinsic on Napa was sealed off in a good EM event a couple years ago. You can get to the docks by going through a metal gate by clicking it....most of the other avenues have been blocked. I forget exactly where the gate is since I made a rune to the docks but it is a gated exit/entrance on the wall near the dock area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did click on the portcullis that exists on Napa but nowhere else and nothing happened. Didn't have lockpicking or magery on the character to try to unlock it.

G

Im glad i did the step changing from Drachenfels to Atlantic.
greetings Caci(Funman)
Lets ready to rumble.

G

Okay i gave it a thought more, ill transfer a char, just too see how it all goes!