• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EMERGENCY for LEE FANCEY!!!! I desperately need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Katiebeth

I believe a phishing program operated by a current EA Land player is trying to aquire my EA Land accounts. I have never, ever released any passwords in game or out. I have tried contacting Parizad, EA customer service in California via the phone an also thru emails to no avail.
This person has broken into my accounts on a previous occasion. He has admitted to doing it on both occasions. He is after my amnesty from my founder account. I have lost more then this page allows me to fill.
Please help me before it is too late again. All I want is to enjoy my game again as it was meant to be enjoyed. Please make the bad man go away!! I know YOU, LEE, are the only one who can save me.

G

first off, I recommend you change your account passwords to something challenging...... with a combo of upper and lowercase letters, numbers and, if allowed, characters.... it's a LOT more challenging for even the best phishing programs to acquire those types of passwords...

second, I recommend that you send Lee a message to his e-mail or his yahoo... he'd be more likely to see it immediately than just posting here... his e-mail is
[email protected] and I know that somewhere on one of his posts, he's also given his yahoo...

good luck to you!!!

K

Katiebeth

Thanks for the tips. I have done just what you mentioned. Keeping my fingers crossed.

H

HunnyBunny

I sure hope Lee can help you. He sure seems to be helping others with problems. I would be very upset and scared myself if this was happening to me. Good luck.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I believe a phishing program operated by a current EA Land player is trying to aquire my EA Land accounts. I have never, ever released any passwords in game or out. I have tried contacting Parizad, EA customer service in California via the phone an also thru emails to no avail.
This person has broken into my accounts on a previous occasion. He has admitted to doing it on both occasions. He is after my amnesty from my founder account. I have lost more then this page allows me to fill.
Please help me before it is too late again. All I want is to enjoy my game again as it was meant to be enjoyed. Please make the bad man go away!! I know YOU, LEE, are the only one who can save me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never dealt with anything like this but I wish you luck, I hope all goes well and Lee can help you secure your account to the best of his ability.

K

Katiebeth

Thanks again, with the phishing program he accessed my EA info thru my yahoo. I'm desperate for help. I don't want to leave EA Land.

G

Also, go into your account info and change your password. If he knows how to access your email he can always send in a password request and get into your accounts that way. Maybe Lee can help you change your USERNAME?

N

NightFlyer

I agree, perhaps Lee can help you change your USERNAME. EA needs to crack down on this type thing big time.

Good luck.

K

Katiebeth

I really hope I can help some help here. Not sure what else to do. I have already contacted my local authorities an they are looking into the matter as well. There was a chance they could have accessed other sites I use as well, paypal etc. I only hope this person does not try this on anyone else in game as these people are still, still today playing in game as I type! I can't imagine EA would think this type of action is exceptable?!

G

Katie, just to make sure I'm clear, have they allready accessed your account? If not you should change your PW ASAP! If so hang in there Lee will fix it for you as soon as he logs in. I sent him this thread in YIM for you. Hopefully he will get back to us soon. So sorry about this happening to you.

K

Katiebeth

Niki I appreciate your help sooo much. I have already contacted EA in California an all I got was new passwords sent to me. I feel I need a bit more then that, ya know. I have left messages with Parizad, she has been great. I'm just don't think the message is getting thru though if this person is still in game. Who is to stop him from doing this to anyone else while he is there? He has several accounts I know this, he has stolen several of mine. And it is also the second time he has done this to me. When will it stop????

G

You will not be notified of any action taken against him or his account....that is a basic rule, so if you were hoping to get some word by posting here, I am afraid you will be disappointed.

If your password is changed, then you need to run a virus/spyware checker to make sure there is not a keylogger on your computer to give someone your new passwords.....you did say they did this twice?

Spybot is well known and free.

It would also be wise to change the passwords for all of your valuable accounts, games and favorite sites. This is standard procedure if you have <u>any</u> suspicion that someone *may* have gained access to any of your accounts or passwords.

G

Katiebeth, please help me understand what is going on here: You say your account has been/is being hacked, and hinted at changing of your password hasn't been enough. On top of that, you mention a "phishing program".

Normally, changing your password, particularly to a more secure one (Please see this guide for help on creating a secure password) is all it takes to prevent unauthorized access to your account. The only ways this cannot be effective are if you divulge your password to anyone or if you have a keylogger on your computer.

Since you mention a "phishing program", and because you indicate changing your password has not been sufficient, I have to believe you have a keylogger on your computer. If that's the case, then no amount of help EA can provide is going to be enough; you need to get the keylogger off your computer. A good virus scanner can catch most keyloggers, but the only <u>sure</u> way to remove a keylogger is to reformat your computer. Naturally, before you reformat, you're going to want to make backups of your important files; however, you must limit your backups to non-executable files within your Documents folder only.

The next step is preventing a repeat infection. The primary means of travel for a keylogger (and most other viruses) is via dubious websites and email attachments. To prevent a repeat infection, <u>never EVER</u> open e-mail attachments from people you don't know; and if you must visit dubious websites, be sure your internet security settings are set to maximum.

K

Katiebeth

Thanks Gilly, I realize I will not be notified. I know it is a privacy issue an thats fine. I can also see however that no action is being done if the person is still able to haunt me in game, do you?
I have changed everything I can, an have run many programs I know of thru my pc. My neighbor is a computer geek (said in a genius type of way) an knows all the ways of the hackers mind so he has run several programs in hopes to help me.
My reason for posting this here was to hopefully alert fellow ea landers that there is someone out there in game right now who is doing this, has done this to me. Although I am trying everything in my power to stop it from happening to me I also am hoping to warn others.
I have never once, not once, given out my passwords to anyone in game or out. I am hoping this post will be reached by Lee. If there are posters here who may be able to forward this to him or locate him an show him this..then I have done what I have set out to do with this post.
This hacker knows who he is...an I am sure he is one of many people that have at least opened this thread.

K

Katiebeth

Thanks Kat..that is one of the things my neighbor is doing now is going thru several programs now on my pc to check for all sorts of wonderful infections if they are hiding. I still need to make sure all areas are covered though.

G

so... how's it going? Just checking up because I think I know who you are/were in game and it would upset me to know you left!

G

Hopefully your passwords are all different? I know so many ppl who have the same password for everything they do. Pretty easy if one is hacked to hack all the rest.

I

imported_Fire Dragon

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Although stating what appears to be the obvious.. When they accessed your account previously, did they by any chance change your parental controls? If so, no matter how many times you change your password, they will still know what it is..

P

Paula777

LOL!

G

OK, this is spooky, I'm glad I have insomnia tonight.

Here I am skilling in game and I get my normal error 23. When I go to log in I'm at the SAA screen when I get a message that I've been logged out because somebody is attempting to log into my account from another computer and if I think this is in error to contact the eacusthelp website. Naturally without waiting to post here, I changed my pw on the EA site and the e-mail address that is associated with that account. Could just have been an erroneous message but after reading this thread today I figured better safe than sorry. I've not been to any websites associated with sims other than the blog, the Wiki, here and ea-land.com so I don't see how it could be a phishing attempt in this case, I am really hoping it was just an erroneous message. My pogo account that is attached to that EA name tho had been hacked into one time before, so I am hyper-sensitive even though that has been almost a year and a half ago now.

Damn griefers, I never will understand what the thought process is that gives somebody else a thrill from stealing other people's time investments in games. *sigh*

K

Katiebeth

<blockquote><hr>

OK, this is spooky, I'm glad I have insomnia tonight.

Here I am skilling in game and I get my normal error 23. When I go to log in I'm at the SAA screen when I get a message that I've been logged out because somebody is attempting to log into my account from another computer and if I think this is in error to contact the eacusthelp website. Naturally without waiting to post here, I changed my pw on the EA site and the e-mail address that is associated with that account. Could just have been an erroneous message but after reading this thread today I figured better safe than sorry. I've not been to any websites associated with sims other than the blog, the Wiki, here and ea-land.com so I don't see how it could be a phishing attempt in this case, I am really hoping it was just an erroneous message. My pogo account that is attached to that EA name tho had been hacked into one time before, so I am hyper-sensitive even though that has been almost a year and a half ago now.

Damn griefers, I never will understand what the thought process is that gives somebody else a thrill from stealing other people's time investments in games. *sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to hear you are also experiencing some sort of issue similiar to mine. I only hope for you, that it does not go as far as it has with me.
The reason though, for my accounts at least, was to go after my amnesty. I know this for a fact as the two parties involved in my hacking have told me. For some reason amnesty is that important to some people. I even told them that if it were that important then wait for the amnesty an I would give them my stuff from amnesty. And just to please leave me an my accounts alone. They are after all the anniversary gifts my sims are entitled to, etc.

On the tech side of this, those on here that have been wonderful enough to help me clean out areas of my pc, its all clean an nothing has been found. So I have no idea how anyone could have gotten into my internet email. Again I have never, ever given out my passwords to anything to anyone. Ok my husband knows them but I don't think he's the culprit.

I have contacted everyone I can an included names of the individuals involved along with contacting local police regarding harrassment charges.
Not sure if there is much else I can do besides leave the game which I rather not do.
Thanks again to those who have posted on the thread who have offered great advice etc.

K

Katiebeth

Wondering if Lee is out there anywhere, anywhere at all.
I still have no heard anything. An all I am looking for is simple..the matter is being looked into..anything at all.
I do realize however that all the devs are sooo very busy with many matters that are ongoing in EA Land though, along with it being a weekend.
I will be praying to the Lee Gods till then.

N

NightFlyer

Sorry, Katiebeth, looks like you are not of the chosen few.

Shame. You might need to go brown nose a little in the usual places, i.e. Town Hall, The Pub, that usually seems to get thier attention. For the chosen few, that is.

Again, good luck.

K

Katiebeth

...runs to go find brown "stuff" for nose...sits n waits for pub to open! Sure hope they have the Guiness ready!... Gets ready to do irish jig if that helps..

G

The topic of this thread is not cheerleaders and pom-pom.

Stay on topic please.

K

Katiebeth

Thanks Milton. Any other ideas are greatly welcomed, serious ones only of course. Thanks folks..

G

<blockquote><hr>

Wondering if Lee is out there anywhere, anywhere at all.
I still have no heard anything. An all I am looking for is simple..the matter is being looked into..anything at all.
I do realize however that all the devs are sooo very busy with many matters that are ongoing in EA Land though, along with it being a weekend.
I will be praying to the Lee Gods till then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know its frustrating Katie, but it is the weekend and although the devs often do spend their weekends working on the game, I don't think its something that we should be expecting.

Polly

F

Fool at TC

<blockquote><hr>

I really hope I can help some help here. Not sure what else to do. I have already contacted my local authorities an they are looking into the matter as well. There was a chance they could have accessed other sites I use as well, paypal etc. I only hope this person does not try this on anyone else in game as these people are still, still today playing in game as I type! I can't imagine EA would think this type of action is exceptable?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my, what a tragedy this is. I sure hope Maxis Lee will save you soon before the hacker goes on a shopping spree with your paypal.

Good luck catching the theif though, with all of his "phishing programs" and such. Maybe you should call the police and tell them some meanie head is trying to steal your sims online rarez, they will know what to do.

C

Cruz Cavera

<blockquote><hr>

Oh my, what a tragedy this is. I sure hope Maxis Lee will save you soon before the hacker goes on a shopping spree with your paypal.

Good luck catching the theif though, with all of his "phishing programs" and such. Maybe you should call the police and tell them some meanie head is trying to steal your sims online rarez, they will know what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Indeed. What a meanie.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your compassion is astounding!

/sarcasm

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Indeed. What a meanie.

[/ QUOTE ]

The person/people behind this will get what they deserve, of that I'm sure.

Polly

F

Fool at TC

I agree completely. The culpirates should get arrested for sims online harassment and be locked up.

C

Cruz Cavera

Well, I agree. With Lee Fancey on the job. I am sure it will be taken care of.

G

I think there are some people on this thread who need to bite their tongues before they bring more attention to their suspicious behavior.

S

Suzi Q

Well, well, well! I am very interested to hear about your phishing problem Katie. Last week I received, by email a receipt for payment in excess of $1200 US Dollars via my paypal account. Immediately, I logged in to my Paypal account, as I had made no such purchase. The transaction only gave a name and email address, no postal address or details of what the payment was for. I immediately telephoned Paypal customer service to advise them that this transaction was fraudulent and not to proceed! They advised me the transaction was made from my account (so somebody actually logged in to it) at around midnight (GMT) on the 25th March, but couldn't confirm what the payment was for. I have issues with Paypal over their security, but I won't go in to that now. I have used the ATM in game once a few weeks ago and, as I haven't used Paypal since, or given anyone my passwords etc. I felt suspicious about the security of using the ATM's in game and will not use them again! Also, without being disrespectful, with this transaction being in US dollars, that added to my suspicion. A few days later, I received an email from the recipient of these funds advising me it was payment for an account with WOW. This game has never interested me and infact the first time I heard of it was on TSO, a lot of TSO players seem to also play WOW. Seeing your post has set me thinking, maybe there is some connection here?

C

Cruz Cavera

<blockquote><hr>

I think there are some people on this thread who need to bite their tongues before they bring more attention to their suspicious behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're right, Enzo.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well, well, well! I am very interested to hear about your phishing problem Katie. Last week I received, by email a receipt for payment in excess of $1200 US Dollars via my paypal account. Immediately, I logged in to my Paypal account, as I had made no such purchase. The transaction only gave a name and email address, no postal address or details of what the payment was for. I immediately telephoned Paypal customer service to advise them that this transaction was fraudulent and not to proceed! They advised me the transaction was made from my account (so somebody actually logged in to it) at around midnight (GMT) on the 25th March, but couldn't confirm what the payment was for. I have issues with Paypal over their security, but I won't go in to that now. I have used the ATM in game once a few weeks ago and, as I haven't used Paypal since, or given anyone my passwords etc. I felt suspicious about the security of using the ATM's in game and will not use them again! Also, without being disrespectful, with this transaction being in US dollars, that added to my suspicion. A few days later, I received an email from the recipient of these funds advising me it was payment for an account with WOW. This game has never interested me and infact the first time I heard of it was on TSO, a lot of TSO players seem to also play WOW. Seeing your post has set me thinking, maybe there is some connection here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Further re-enforcement in my mind to never give in to the temptation of gaining simoleans through the ATM, no matter what kind of in-game money needs I have. That's just downright spooky. So Suzi were you able to get the $1200 payment reversed, I hope? Surely your bank account or credit card was not docked through paypal for this amount? Damn that represents a couple paychecks for me, it would take me a year to get over a hit like that if my bank let it go through
e-gads.

Note.....none of the above is meant to infer that anybody who uses the ATM somehow deserves to have this happen to them. I'm against the usage of the ATMs but there's just some things in life that nobody deserves to have happen to them, and I do not believe in bad karma or good karma. I do however believe what goes around comes around and these things have a way of haunting the person that does them, directly or indirectly.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I agree completely. The culpirates should get arrested for sims online harassment and be locked up.

[/ QUOTE ]Your attempts at thinly-veiled sarcasm are rather uninspiring.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Well, well, well! I am very interested to hear about your phishing problem Katie. Last week I received, by email a receipt for payment in excess of $1200 US Dollars via my paypal account.

[/ QUOTE ]

$1200? As in one thousand two hundred US dollars?? For WoW?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Well, well, well! I am very interested to hear about your phishing problem Katie. Last week I received, by email a receipt for payment in excess of $1200 US Dollars via my paypal account.

[/ QUOTE ]

$1200? As in one thousand two hundred US dollars?? For WoW?

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction too! That must be one HELL of a WoW account!

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I'm against the usage of the ATMs but there's just some things in life that nobody deserves to have happen to them, and I do not believe in bad karma or good karma. I do however believe what goes around comes around and these things have a way of haunting the person that does them, directly or indirectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come again?
The ATMs are established by EA, are they not? Furthermore, use of the ATMs to purchase simoleans is encouraged -- the recent bonus Lava game coupons given out for each transaction being a prime example. Your post implies that you perceive the use of ATMs as being somehow naughty. You, of all people -- you've been championing the EA developments in this game these many weeks. The ATMs are crucial to the new economy, remember??

Blaming the victim is something that bothers me, too.

N

NightFlyer

In light of the upcoming cash out featutre I hope EA will deal harshly with the low life griefers, with nothing better to do and no real life obviously, than steal another persons accounts. Just sad.

This is one part of the ToS that needs tobe heavily enforced and all accounts on the part of the perps cancelled, in all EA games. And banned forever from EA games.

G

<blockquote><hr>

In light of the upcoming cash out featutre I hope EA will deal harshly with the low life griefers, with nothing better to do and no real life obviously, than steal another persons accounts. Just sad.

This is one part of the TOS that needs to be heavily enforced and all accounts on the part of the perps cancelled, in all EA games. And banned forever from EA games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Highly, agree!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I'm against the usage of the ATMs but there's just some things in life that nobody deserves to have happen to them, and I do not believe in bad karma or good karma. I do however believe what goes around comes around and these things have a way of haunting the person that does them, directly or indirectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come again?
The ATMs are established by EA, are they not? Furthermore, use of the ATMs to purchase simoleans is encouraged -- the recent bonus Lava game coupons given out for each transaction being a prime example. Your post implies that you perceive the use of ATMs as being somehow naughty. You, of all people -- you've been championing the EA developments in this game these many weeks. The ATMs are crucial to the new economy, remember??

Blaming the victim is something that bothers me, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I did not blame the victim, I clearly said:

<blockquote><hr>

I'm against the usage of the ATMs but there's just some things in life that nobody deserves to have happen to them, and I do not believe in bad karma or good karma.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which says that while I am personally against the usage of the ATMs, I in no way shape form or fashion subscribe to the belief that because a person used them they somehow *deserve* to have that happen to them. What I said was exactly the opposite of what you accuse me of.

Why am I against the usage of the ATMs at this juncture? Because they will introduce more money into the economy when the problem already is that there is too much money being made and not enough being spent, so how is using the ATMs going to raise the payouts for the people who cannot afford to use them? It isn't, in fact it could be counterproductive. When the drains are being used more as they should be, and the payouts are at a more stable rate so that a player has a choice of which one to do, work for the e.m.u. or to get it fast and easy from the ATM, then at that point to each his own as far as I am concerned and each player is free to make up their own minds. But as I see it, the economy is constipated for lack of a better term, and when a person is constipated, continuing to put more food into their system is not going to help the problem, its gonna make it worse. Some of the money that's already IN circulation NEEDS to be flushed out through the drains before more money is introduced.

S

Suzi Q

I actually agree with your view on the ATM CBrewton, I was, indeed, one of those that vowed I would never use one! I actually did only use it the once when I first arrived in the new land on the bullet train and only for the minimum amount to get me started, curiosity also had a part in it, just to see how it worked.

Yes, this transaction was for One Thousand Two hundred dollars! I couldn't believe it myself so I googled World of Warcraft for sale. Try it, you'll be surprised! Some accounts are even more expensive than that one!! I thought $70 US Dollars for a TSO account was expensive when I saw those on Pay the Game LOL

Luckily, paypal have reversed the transaction and it doesn't appear to have hit my bank account as yet, I did cancel the direct debit immediately though. That amount of money is almost a months wages to me and would have taken a long time to recoupe the problems it would have caused me had it gone through.

I

imported_LFancey

Katiebeth,

I have sent you a private message.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.