• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Events : gold hoarding occasions ??

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to say, as a player, that I wholeheartedly disagree with EM Events where new items are created in a limited quantity and they then become a gold mine thing for those (few) players who get them.

I think Mythic should have a set in stone policy for EM run Events that newly created items should be made available to any and all players participating to the Event without limiting them in their number.

I hear often comments of EM created items then being sold for 100+ millions because of their scarcity and personally, I do not like this at all.

And no, this has nothing to do whether I may or not receive these items, it has to do with the fact that I just do not see it as right that these items can be custom made and fetch such high quantities of gold.

Want to have these items in the game, custom made ? Fine, but then they should be open to all participants to the Event, not only to a few.

That's at least how I see it.

On another note, this is not a rant, by far, this is a legit discussion over game mechanics and game policies since it discusses the issue in general and not a specific Event. Had it been a complaint over a specific Event then it could have been seen as a rant (but not necessarily), but since it wants to attempt a discussion on the overall way that EM Events are run and the general policy governing them, fairly and peacefully, I do not see it as a rant at all.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This very topic was discussed ad nauseam when EMs were first brought back and is biggest reason EMs can only give out clothing items with only different names on them now.

This would actually be your "policy set in stone" for EMs regarding items that are created for events. So rest assured it has already been fixed aside from the fact that they may not be available for everyone who attends depending on the event. But then again it is just clothing items, nothing with any significant property other than for looks.

But you will always have people trying to hike-up prices over anything in the game.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
uhh...everyone that plays has the same chance of getting an item. we refer to this wonderful chance (in all aspects of the game) as the RNG. if you are not happy with the RNG, perhaps Hello Kitty is more your speed?

/endthread

U

UOKaiser

I have to say, as a player, that I wholeheartedly disagree with EM Events where new items are created in a limited quantity and they then become a gold mine thing for those (few) players who get them.

I think Mythic should have a set in stone policy for EM run Events that newly created items should be made available to any and all players participating to the Event without limiting them in their number.

I hear often comments of EM created items then being sold for 100+ millions because of their scarcity and personally, I do not like this at all.

And no, this has nothing to do whether I may or not receive these items, it has to do with the fact that I just do not see it as right that these items can be custom made and fetch such high quantities of gold.

Want to have these items in the game, custom made ? Fine, but then they should be open to all participants to the Event, not only to a few.

On another note, this is not a rant, by far, this is a legit discussion over game mechanics and game policies since it discusses the issue in general and not a specific Event. Had it been a complaint over a specific Event then it could have been seen as a rant (but not necessarily), but since it wants to attempt a discussion on the overall way that EM Events are run and the general policy governing them, fairly and peacefully, I do not see it as a rant at all.
Because of complaints like this in the english shard is why asian shards are superior. Things should eb handed out in scarcity. If everyone has it it is worthless in both keeping it or putting it in museum. Rare museum and the rare community used to be the largest of all online games for years in UO. Now they are fading into memory because of people that want everything handed to them and get jeoulous when other people have something they don't want. Once again this is a RPG game and not a first person shooter, There is no communism in this game or any political affiliation. What a waste to once again have a chance to collect treasure items like the ones the counselors used to give, to collect the hardest things to gather, where people still want something from 10 years ago to let it slip by so that we have a mass production of exactly the same thing and cheap value that can be tossed out on the floor and nobody will look twice.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the past EM events I have seen rewards appearing, that have no functionality at all, but a unique name (like a sword of lowest quality, and a special color/name).

I think this is a very good idea, as it gives players the opportunity to gather "souvenirs" from events, which document the shard history, without giving certain players an unfair advantage. To my opinion, those rewards should be a little less rare though. Instead of only a handful drops during an event, it would be great if they'd drop maybe 30 times or so.

I don't care at all if these rewards are sold for an insane amount of gold afterwards. This does neither unbalance the economy (since the gold only moves from one person to another), nor does it do any harm to other players. If someone wants to spend many millions on a worthless item, then they should be allowed to do so. The rares market is the last thing that would unbalance the game.

Giving rewards to anyone would be the wrong approach, too.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This very topic was discussed ad nauseam when EMs were first brought back and is biggest reason EMs can only give out clothing items with only different names on them now.

This would actually be your "policy set in stone" for EMs regarding items that are created for events. So rest assured it has already been fixed aside from the fact that they may not be available for everyone who attends depending on the event. But then again it is just clothing items, nothing with any significant property other than for looks.

But you will always have people trying to hike-up prices over anything in the game.

Even though they are clothing and even though it was discussed it STILL goes on that when few of these items are created these "useless" items STILL fetch 100+ millions as "rares".....

To my opinion, as a player of the game, this just ain't right as like they were uber weapons or uber armor.

More gold gives the ability to have better gear and weaponry just the same.

Want to have EMs run Events and custom made clothing items ? Do NOT limit their numbers and actually, have a policy that EMs MUST make many of these new items and that they actually were distributed to all participants to the Event, noone excluded.

EM Events created new items should never EVER be able to fetch more than a few hundreds of thousands of gold, 1 million gold AT THE MOST.

Now, instead, I see these EMs Events newly created items as becoming the new rares of the game with some even fetching 150 some millions of gold. Just not right, IMHO.

At least, so I see this one issue as a player of the game.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's wrong with new rares? Is it only wrong because YOU haven't gotten one yet? I haven't gotten one and don't really care. It's just an item of no real function that has a unique name to it. Big whoop.

Who dictates that it is worth 100's of millions? The Devs? The EMs? No, it is the players who decide to price it that and the people who are willing to pay that much.

This game has always been like this. People are greedy and people are crazy enough to want to actually pay those prices. If you haven't gotten use to this kind of attitude towards "rares" then tough luck. Events are for events, not items.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because of complaints like this in the english shard is why asian shards are superior. Things should eb handed out in scarcity. If everyone has it it is worthless in both keeping it or putting it in museum. Rare museum and the rare community used to be the largest of all online games for years in UO. Now they are fading into memory because of people that want everything handed to them and get jeoulous when other people have something they don't want. Once again this is a RPG game and not a first person shooter, There is no communism in this game or any political affiliation. What a waste to once again have a chance to collect treasure items like the ones the counselors used to give, to collect the hardest things to gather, where people still want something from 10 years ago to let it slip by so that we have a mass production of exactly the same thing and cheap value that can be tossed out on the floor and nobody will look twice.

When I see EM created items for Events go up and get sold at Auctions for 150 millions there is nothing that can make me see it as right or agree with it.

I could understand to seeing Event new items be worth a moderate value, but this is just waaaaaaaaaay off mark, to my opinion.

It has to be moderated by Mithic and the only way to moderate this is by increasing their number by many folds.

When at every Event on every shard and this every few weeks a "new" rare is being created it simply dilutes the whole concept of a rare.

Besides, with all these new "rares" being created as we speak, a go-go, eventually the in game Museums will either have no more place to put them up for display or have gold to keep buying them.....

Nope, I cannot possibly see any of this as right. And it has nothing to do with communism in the game, it only has to do with, to my opinion, what is right and what is wrong for the game itself, and the players who play it.

At least, so I see it.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Still not following why you care, unless you are just mad that you didn't get one.
So what if someone pays 100M for XX item? What business is it of yours? Oh wait you didn't get one. Well not everyone gets one every time. Get over it. Show up at the next event, maybe this time it will be lucky for you.
Certainly you shouldn't begrudge other people's lucky grabs.
These items in no way change your gameplay, they are not useful.
The reason they are fun to collect is because there aren't a million of them out there. It's kind-of the whole point. It's what makes it fun.
Leave people alone Popps. Don't like it? Don't participate. It's simple. Otherwise stay out of other people's fun.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To my opinion, those rewards should be a little less rare though. Instead of only a handful drops during an event, it would be great if they'd drop maybe 30 times or so.

Just to make an example, recently on Pacific at an Event some sashes were created both for a PvM Event and a PvP one with some unique text on them. That I know of, for the PvP Event only 3 sashes were made.

The PvP sashes limited in their number to 3 (but also the PvM ones also created in a low number), having the unique text are now effectively rares and can get sold for 100+ or even 150+ millions.

Others may see this as ok, I just don't.

I do not think it as right that ANY player, be it me or any other, just for participating to an EM Event with custom made items, can walk back home with 150+ more millions worth of an item ..........

This is just not right for the game itself, IMHO.

I don't care at all if these rewards are sold for an insane amount of gold afterwards. This does neither unbalance the economy (since the gold only moves from one person to another), nor does it do any harm to other players. If someone wants to spend many millions on a worthless item, then they should be allowed to do so. The rares market is the last thing that would unbalance the game.
Well, I need to disagree.
The issue, as I see it, is not really where the newly created "rares" can inbalance PvP or PvM, but whether they can bring too much wealth to any players, who knows, perhaps too often to the same players, who would then have unlimited wealth which can then be used to ensure always the best items for PvPing and THIS, would unbalance the game for all others.

Imbuing ? Replacing high end items that wear out can be costly, having hundreds of millions of gold if not billions can make it an easy practise when having unlimited funds can make it easy to buy the resources and imbue always the best items, a go-go.

This makes it so that if players can cash in from these Events new "rares" by the hundreds of millions, they get extra power and extra gear as compared to other players in the funds they can allocate to pay for their PvP needs.

Nope, to my opinion having EM run Events create new rares ain't good for the game.

Giving rewards to anyone would be the wrong approach, too.
I do not entirely disagree with this but then, the right solution, IMHO, would be to make this newly created items NOT TRADEABLE.

They should only STICK to the character who earned them and be done with it.

They are items created to show participation to an Event ? Fine, then give them to the character who participated to the Event, even in limited quantity, but do NOT allow them to be traded.

A player won a PvP EM run Event and earned a special sash for it ?
Fine, but never EVER that character who earned the sash can trade it to anyone else.

They can show it off on their character all they want, simply, they should not be allowed to make gold off of it.

That's how I see it.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still not following why you care, unless you are just mad that you didn't get one.
So what if someone pays 100M for XX item? What business is it of yours? Oh wait you didn't get one. Well not everyone gets one every time. Get over it. Show up at the next event, maybe this time it will be lucky for you.
Certainly you shouldn't begrudge other people's lucky grabs.
These items in no way change your gameplay, they are not useful.
The reason they are fun to collect is because there aren't a million of them out there. It's kind-of the whole point. It's what makes it fun.
Leave people alone Popps. Don't like it? Don't participate. It's simple. Otherwise stay out of other people's fun.
I think it's quite silly that I have to respond to the original post, but the powers that be in UO have a history or listening to the vocal minority, even if they're wrong. So, I'm inputting to make sure that my opinion is out there.

My opinion is:
I agree with Flutter 100%.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't say I particularly care about the prices of EM items, since if I get one I keep it as a memento of the event, and if I don't, I don't....

I can see a point that it might be unbalancing if people can spend huge amounts of in-game gold buy equipment that makes a difference to gameplay, and thus reduce the effects of skill on playing the game - especially PvP - but if someone manages to get a decorative item, and someone else want to pay they a ton of money for it - I can't for the life of me see any problem other than jealousy and a misguided idea that all things must be 'equal' in some bizarre way.

The only thing that needs to be remotely 'equal' in a game is the chance to have fun playing it, and since that is largely down to what you do, and never down to how much anyone else acts as long as they are within the rules, there is no problem at all. My 'fun' is not affected by other people having their fun within the rules of the game - sadly, you seem to be so hung up on what other people can and cannot do, you end up asking for a game without the variety that makes UO so attractive.

N

NewThunder

First, you are ranting, the fact that you are trying to convince your reader otherwise is proof. I was shocked to learn there was an aspect of the game you did not like.

The items at the EM events have no MODs, so who cares if idiots pay huge amounts of gold for them. How does it in any way effect you if I pay 300 mil for a sash? The Sashes have no Mods, it is just there for looks. If you do not like the EM program don't participate, ignore it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I will try to explain my thinking logic.

First of all, and believe me or not, it has nothing at all to do with me getting any of these new "rares" or not.

What I have a problem with, is about Em Events becoming a mine for hundreds of millions of gold which, at least in theory, could end up being amassed by just a few players who would accumulate so much in game wealth to have plenty to fund PvP high end gear which does give a upper hand in fighting....

Being able to buy any and all expensive artifacts, imbue any and all items to the highest extreme, be able to easily buy all imbuing resources, even the hardest ones to come by, thanking to the hundreds of millions, perhaps the billions coming from the new EM Events "rares" can possibly create an imbalance and make a set of UO players more competitive at PvP than a bunch of all others.

This is what I have a problem with. The potential that some players, a few players, can use a large wealth source to fund PvP expensive costs more than other players and thus maintain an edge, always.

The solution is all there, easy and logical, IMHO. Make the rare EM new items not tradeable.

Not tradeable for everyone, ALSO for me. Meaning, that if I get that 1 unique EM item at an Event I TOO will not be able to sell if for hundreds of millions.

This speaks wonders about how I am bringing the argument up not because I may have or not received any EM item, but because I just see the current policy about EM newly created rares simply as wrong.

I can understand that but then, making them NOT TRADEABLE should be a good and acceptable solution.

Want to show off that unique item obtained exclusively at an Event ? Fine, but making hundreds of millions from it, nope, that should NOT be allowed. Not allowed also to me, and to all UO players.

C

Connor_Graham

It has to be moderated by Mithic
No, it doesn't, and it's Mythic, not Mithic. Who cares if someone sells one item for 100 mil or 10 items for 10 mil? It's just gold moving from one player to another. Are you going to say next that I can't make 1 billion per year from my vendors? That there's a need for a limit to what my time can achieve? If so, you'd better get ready to get bloody. :gun::stretcher:

At least, so I see it.
And it's well past time you saw the optometrist for a new pair of glasses.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First, you are ranting, the fact that you are trying to convince your reader otherwise is proof. I was shocked to learn there was an aspect of the game you did not like.

No, I am not.
I am not because I am debating a general game mechanics and policy and not a single, individual occurrancy.

The items at the EM events have no MODs, so who cares if idiots pay huge amounts of gold for them. How does it in any way effect you if I pay 300 mil for a sash? The Sashes have no Mods, it is just there for looks. If you do not like the EM program don't participate, ignore it.

Oh yeah, it does.
I will try to explain my worries with an example.

Let's imagine, that on a shard there is a number of players competing in PvP. May even be some Guilds competing for dominance on that shard in PvP.

For the sake of the discussion, let us make the example where we have 2 Guilds, for instance, battling each other over the PvP control of the shard.

Sounds fun, doesn;t it ?

Well, then we have EM Event "new rares" factoring in......

Let's imagine, still for the sake of the discussion, that, whatever the reasons, they are irrelevant, IMHO, for the sake of the discussion, that one of these two competitors has better control of the EM Events newly created "rares".

Then has the members transfer to other shards and sell for hundreds of millions, billions, these new rares. Keep in mind, due to the example for the sake of the discussion, they somehow are able to get most of them, we do not care why.

What this ends up creating, is giving a powerfull wealth source to one of the competitors on the shard which can then be invested in top high end items, plentifull of imbuing resources, endless supply of high end imbued items for members and so forth.

Basically, it gives to mostly one of the participants that extra gear to always stay on top of the PvP competiting arena because of more wealth to spend on it.

So, it CAN well affect me if, as a player, I was among those competing for the PvP control of the shard......

THIS is why I cannot possibly be in favour of EM Events "rares" be sellable and I would much rather prefer as seeing them not tradeable.
Keep them as rare, even unique, but not tradeable, period.

And this, whether I would be among those accumulating all that wealth or not.
I just do not see this as good for the game itself.

This is my opinion.

C

Connor_Graham

You're really reaching now Miss Lohan. Running out of things to complain about so you have to start making them up?

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Humm let see about this ? Bound Items - WOW is

Item made at EM events no way by themselves imbalance ANY game play BUT, it seems they do (by being sold for 100 millions).

You problem is NOT with the items but the economy of the game. Unfortunatly these same things can be sid about the worlds economy. The people who get out there, participate, contribute, and work get a better chance at making more money and therefore living better. There are even some who have ammassed so much wealth that they just keep making MORE and MORE.

By making these items bound you wil not stop the economy as the money is already out there.

If you feel that PvP is "imbalanced" because some players have the ability to purchase the things they need to be better equiped, well then, since the gold is already out there, these new items have no bearing on your argument.

In the past these items WERE created with INSANE MODs that did imbalance the game no they are just fine.

Decorations are simply that decorations and shuld be allowed to be had in rarity and by whoever takes the chance to get them. Bound items - NO.

This has been coverd, discussed and delt with fairly.

:gun::stretcher:

:bdh:

H

Heartseeker

lol.. Classic...:lol:

H

Heartseeker

It has to be moderated by Mithic
No, it doesn't, and it's Mythic, not Mithic. Who cares if someone sells one item for 100 mil or 10 items for 10 mil? It's just gold moving from one player to another. Are you going to say next that I can't make 1 billion per year from my vendors? That there's a need for a limit to what my time can achieve? If so, you'd better get ready to get bloody. :gun::stretcher:

At least, so I see it.
And it's well past time you saw the optometrist for a new pair of glasses.
Awesome..Comedy Hour with Popps as the mc.:lol:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Humm let see about this ? Bound Items - WOW is

In the past these items WERE created with INSANE MODs that did imbalance the game no they are just fine.

Decorations are simply that decorations and shuld be allowed to be had in rarity and by whoever takes the chance to get them. Bound items - NO.

Well, I do not see much of a difference between the 2.

To me, giving to players insane mods on an item OR making it possible to get insane gold to then be able to always have access more easily and faster to those items which give the upper hand in PvP gets the game to the same one result, have a limited number of players be able to always stay on top of PvP and kills the game, eventually.

Sure, there is already plenty of gold and wealth in the game, no doubt, but at least, I would think it as better not to create new means for a limited number of players to be able to access a new gold mine source which can end up in providing large wealth accumulation which can be used to provide for the upper hand in PvP to just a few over the many.

Making those newly created "rare" EM items as not tradeable would still keep them as rare, be a valid testimonial of the players' participation to a given Event with success, but at the same one time NOT be usable as an enormous wealth gold mine with unexpected and, perhaps, unwanted results inbalancing PvP on a shard.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poops... you should go and play WoW.... really.. Its a much better game for your needs :)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poops... you should go and play WoW.... really.. Its a much better game for your needs :)

Well, I would imagine I knew what game I would like to play......

I would like to play an Ultima Online game where it would be not possible to sell any in game item for real money, where no scripting, hacking, cheating was possible, and where PvP could be played by all subscribers on a reasonably equal basis without some players be able, whatever the reasons, to gain and maintain the upper hand in PvP.

You know, I have the naive thinking, personally, that Player vs. Player combat can only be fun to the most players of the game as long as the combat outcome is "open ended" the most times......

If always the same old same, eventually, keep winning the PvP fights, then the game eventually gets boring for those who have the upper hand and frustrating for those who loose most fights.

Keeping the PvP fights always as open ended as possible, is, to my opinion, the best recipe to ensure a challenging and fun PvP in a game because then all players, regardless their wealth or stocked high end items will be at risk of losing their fights....

That brings the thrill and the challenging fun.

Or at least, so i happen to think.

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I would imagine I knew what game I would like to play......

I would like to play an Ultima Online game where it would be not possible to sell any in game item for real money, where no scripting, hacking, cheating was possible, and where PvP could be played by all subscribers on a reasonably equal basis without some players be able, whatever the reasons, to gain and maintain the upper hand in PvP.

You know, I have the naive thinking, personally, that Player vs. Player combat can only be fun to the most players of the game as long as the combat outcome is "open ended" the most times......

If always the same old same, eventually, keep winning the PvP fights, then the game eventually gets boring for those who have the upper hand and frustrating for those who loose most fights.

Keeping the PvP fights always as open ended as possible, is, to my opinion, the best recipe to ensure a challenging and fun PvP in a game because then all players, regardless their wealth or stocked high end items will be at risk of losing their fights....

That brings the thrill and the challenging fun.

Or at least, so i happen to think.
What has this got to do with your original post, is it because you have been shot down and buried (again I might add), what has EM given items got to do with PvP, the EM items are nothing, except a momento of the event, they do not add anything to a characters skill or stats, so they are not unbalancing anything.

Now your finding something else to moan about, something that is a regular rant from you, PvP or the elite club, there has ALWAYS been elite players in UO, always will be, you dont like it, go play tiddly winks or something.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What has this got to do with your original post, is it because you have been shot down and buried (again I might add), what has EM given items got to do with PvP, the EM items are nothing, except a momento of the event, they do not add anything to a characters skill or stats, so they are not unbalancing anything.

I disagree.

Sometimes, and I happen to think that EM Events newly created custom "rares" are among these, there are instances where something can end up having effects that go well beyond the limited span of that situation.

So, while apparently allowing the creation of rares at Events might look limited to the Event itself, and being only eye candy it might look at first harmless, if one thinks of the scenarios that might happen due to these newly created rares and their gold trading value, the consequences could reach and, even, harm PvP balance.

How ?

Well, what if, regardless of the reasons which are irrelevant to the discussion of this, these new rares become a way for a limited number of players to be able to stock up a large amount of gold to then be used to gain the upper hand in PvP by securing better artifacts, more imbuing resources and better imbued items for faster replacement ?

Woundn't this then affect PvP balance for allowing a few players to have more means and more resources than other players ?

If so, then even though at first Event items could appear to only be eye candy, their effects could get far beyond this and, potentially, even unbalance PvP.

Then, if the purpose of these items is to be a testimonial of players' participation to a given Event, why simply not make them not tradeable and so make it impossible to profit gold from them ??

This would allow keeping them rare, even unique as a testimony of players' participation to an Event and yet, not risk making them a new rares gold mine of sorts which could have effects going far beyond the limited scopes of their creation.

Now your finding something else to moan about, something that is a regular rant from you, PvP or the elite club, there has ALWAYS been elite players in UO, always will be, you dont like it, go play tiddly winks or something.
How is it a rant questioning the fact that in a game PvP is cornered to only a few players controlling it and most always having an upper hand thus deterring many other players from participating to it ?

It is a fact that PvP is scarcely practised. Perhaps, if one actually looked at it in good details examining all the reasons why most players stay the hell away from it, this would perhaps benefit the game bringing to PvP way more players than it has now.

Yet, whenever I try to bring up the topic of making PvP more popular and more practised in the game I get jumped at and yelled at.

I do it because I care for the game. I do not care if player X or player Y has the highest score of kills in PvP. I do care though, that I would like to see a LOT more players do PvP in UO and I voice the reasons I think deter people from participating.

Having a limited number of players who have always or most always the upper hand at PvP combat because they have more wealth and better items or items' replacement, is at least to my opinion one of the main causes for PvP scarcity in this game.

As I said, to my opinion the key to PvP success in a game (i.e. have many players participate) is ensuring that for most fights the outcome of Player vs. Player combat is always open ended regardless from how much wealth some players might have or how many high end items they may have stocked up.

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firstly I like that we sometimes get rewarded with drops linked to the history of the event. I also like that they in themselves are no game altering spec. On the negitive side though is people shouting at event that dont include drops for drops, or a EM rp evening with moans from a few that they want there drop and why can't they have there drop instead of listning to whats happening so they can get back to there normal shard. I would hate to see drops made no trade as that would make shard museums impossible. I would however like to see a no transfer on shard EM drops, purley to keep each shards history where it means something to the people on that shard. Events have come along way with web sites, more than 1 EM per shard in some cases and non over powered drops. Just one other thing its great to have a variety in ways people can get a drop, so varieying how drops are handled from event to event will over time give everyone a chance to own a bit of there shards history. Inevitably having event items drop to the hardest hitter nearly always ends in just a few hands. Any ways just my thoughts.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Inevitably having event items drop to the hardest hitter nearly always ends in just a few hands.

My concern is, that whatever the reasons may be, which I think is irrelevant for this discussion, that these new rares eventually might end up most often in the same (few) players' hands thus, then, creating PvP imbalances, since they add more wealth to the same people/guilds.

Also, you bring up a good point that given the high value that these EM Events items may fetch, they actually might disrupt the whole event for a lot of other players who only wanted to enjoy the Event for its roleplaying and yet, have to share it with other players who are only in it for the gold that these new rares may fetch for them.

That is, allowing the trading of these new rares can be a disrupting game play reason for many other participants due to the greed of other players attending the Event.

Yet another reason, IMHO, to make these items not tradeable.

The Museums curators, if interested, could participate to the Events and earn their own items to diplay in their own homes (Museums....).

This actually, would make it for some individuality among Museums that goes beyond only having the most gold.

Some players could actually have their Museums better assorted even wheh having less gold as compared to other Museums but they have been going to more Events and, thus, earning more rare new Event items.....

So, not making them tradeable would actually allow also players with less gold and wealth, to actually be able to run good Museums with a variety of unique or rare Event items that could actively compete, thanking to this, with Mueums run by wealthier collectors.

Making them not tradeable would be a good change for the game for all these reasons.

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Socialism does not belong in UO. If items were handed out to everyone you would be knocking out one of the foundation blocks of UO. Rares need to be in this game. I mean what would be next, houses just poof with all there items at idocs. Well we better do it that way right because someone might have a chance of getting a item worth 100m +. Better get rid of those rare drops of harrower and other spawns too, no need for someone to make a huge profit of nice drop. There are more and more rare collectors these days than there have ever been and it is a fun and interesting part of the game buying and selling and trading. People need to stop worrying about everyone else and what everyone else has and start worrying about themselves. Rares is what makes UO unique to every other MMO that is out there and it is the reason why alot and mean alot of us still play this game.

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yet another reason, IMHO, to make these items not tradeable.

The Museums curators, if interested, could participate to the Events and earn their own items to diplay in their own homes (Museums....).

This actually, would make it for some individuality among Museums that goes beyond only having the most gold.
These two statements I'm afraid contridict each other. If an item is no trade it would also have to be no drop as they could be traded within a private house by dropping the item and money. I have a no trade/no drop sash which I would love to display but cannot as I cannot put it down, so it would put an end to museums of event items. The only thing that I would like to see in this regard is for shard specific EM items to be non shard transfer to keep them to the shard for that shards history and be kept tradable only on that shard for museum display if thats what the owner wishes.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Socialism does not belong in UO. If items were handed out to everyone you would be knocking out one of the foundation blocks of UO. Rares need to be in this game.
I will never understand what place may politics have in a computer game.....

Socialism in UO ? Hallo ???

Do we want PvP to thrive or not in this game ?

Personally, I think that in a game that wants to see Player vs Player thrive and flourish, then it is necessary to have the more players possible participate in it.

Why ?

Because the more the players, the more the competition and so the fun.

But, in order to have people actually want to PvP, they must see that they have a CHANCE at winning since, hardly anyone likes to loose......

This, to my opinion, has nothing at all got anything with politcs or socialism and has a lot to do, at least the way i see it, with wanting or not to have PvP flourish and thrive in this game or just be cornered as an activity of few, elite, players.

We like it or not, high end PvP is expensive whether it is with artifacts or imbued items.

Having a lot of gold makes this activity more possible and with better results (more wins).

If the game allows wealth accumulation and worst, allows always the same (few) players to accumulate the most wealth in their hands, this allows them to be more competitive at PvP and, therefore, may deter other players from PvPing.

As I see it, this has NOTHING to do with politics or socialism or whatever one might want to call it.

It SIMPLY has to do with wanting to see more people actively PvP in the game.

I happen to think that if people do not see Player vs Players as having an open ended fight outcome for most fights, players just do not bother and PvP in the game dies out........

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These two statements I'm afraid contridict each other. If an item is no trade it would also have to be no drop as they could be traded within a private house by dropping the item and money. I have a no trade/no drop sash which I would love to display but cannot as I cannot put it down, so it would put an end to museums of event items. The only thing that I would like to see in this regard is for shard specific EM items to be non shard transfer to keep them to the shard for that shards history and be kept tradable only on that shard for museum display if thats what the owner wishes.

Well, one of the great advantages of having a virtual world as compared to the real world, is that one can just code whatever change wanted for the wanted result........

Well, not always, but on a good number of times, yes.......

Code could be made for these items so that they can be locked down "if" the house they are being locked down is actually owned by the account that earned it, not elsewhere. And, of course, they cannot be traded to other accounts.

Now, should the house be sold/traded, code would send an error message reminding that item(s) such and such are still locked down and until they are released into the owner's backpack, the house would not be tradeable (sort of like pack animals cannot be stabled if they have items in their packs....).

So, code can make it happen but one has to first decide that it actually is a good thing for the game which, personally, I happen to think it would be.

This decided, then code can come to make it possible to happen......

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Code could be made for these items so that they can be locked down "if" the house they are being locked down is actually owned by the account that earned it, not elsewhere. And, of course, they cannot be traded to other accounts.
The problem with this is as surprising as it may sound there are many that give/allow others to display there event iems. I know of some that have had incredible museums but some items were on loan or donated. I have also seen guilds go to events and donated there drops to the guild house. There is alot of people out there that do not see gold when they get a drop but history and treat it with the respect they consider such a historical item in there eyes should have. So again this would not be an option for those that go to events RP wise with history being more important than money

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is alot of people out there that do not see gold when they get a drop but history and treat it with the respect they consider such a historical item in there eyes should have. So again this would not be an option for those that go to events RP wise with history being more important than money

I may have had just a ton of bad luck so far but personally, at most Events I have been to, I had the impression that most participants were there for the worth of the Event items to get, not the roleplaying.......

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps? If I offer you 100+ million for your accounts could we consider it "uber rare" and have them deleted from the system so that we balanced whatever the hell it is your trying to do here?

This is idiotic. If someone wants to pay a lot of money for something, then let them. Especially since these items do not effect any gameplay.

What else popps?
Blaze Cu Sidhes too rare for you?
Something doesn't spewan anymore (have all instances deleted from all shards)

K

Kiminality

There was actually a statement to the effect that there wouldn't be rare items awarded at events. Instead, items would be given to all attended as a memento.
There was a lot of drama over that, and although the devs didn't publicly back down on the point, something like a week later, the destruction of the big city-invasion-crystal spawned something like 15 fastest-finger/script-wins items.

Only thing that bothers me about it is that the expectations that items are going to be handed out means that events are often disrupted by these people when they don't get them.
If I'm there for the RP or story, the last thing I want to see is "WAREZ MAH SASH?"

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are after an even based PvP game then may I suggest you consider a fighting RP guild with strict rules. Some exist with GM armors the best you can wear, so the fights on skill and anyone can afford the best equipment.

U

UOKaiser

I will never understand what place may politics have in a computer game.....

Socialism in UO ? Hallo ???

Do we want PvP to thrive or not in this game ?

Personally, I think that in a game that wants to see Player vs Player thrive and flourish, then it is necessary to have the more players possible participate in it.

Why ?

Because the more the players, the more the competition and so the fun.

But, in order to have people actually want to PvP, they must see that they have a CHANCE at winning since, hardly anyone likes to loose......

This, to my opinion, has nothing at all got anything with politcs or socialism and has a lot to do, at least the way i see it, with wanting or not to have PvP flourish and thrive in this game or just be cornered as an activity of few, elite, players.

We like it or not, high end PvP is expensive whether it is with artifacts or imbued items.

Having a lot of gold makes this activity more possible and with better results (more wins).

If the game allows wealth accumulation and worst, allows always the same (few) players to accumulate the most wealth in their hands, this allows them to be more competitive at PvP and, therefore, may deter other players from PvPing.

As I see it, this has NOTHING to do with politics or socialism or whatever one might want to call it.

It SIMPLY has to do with wanting to see more people actively PvP in the game.

I happen to think that if people do not see Player vs Players as having an open ended fight outcome for most fights, players just do not bother and PvP in the game dies out........
Ok I finally think i know where popps went wrong. Ultima online is not a PVP game. It is a RPG. Repeat with me popps and we might get this working finaly R....P....G stands for Role Playing Game. Which means PVP is just a small part of it. This is not a vs game a shooter a strategy a board game no not at all this is a RPG. There pvm,collecters,merchants,fishers,craftmen,house decorators,auctioneers,role players,husband and wives,girlfriend and boyfriends living a virtual life,player run events, more than I can name and pvp players. As you can see every part makes up the game. The motto of ultima online is be who you want do what you want. It's the first and still unique online sandbox game. There is no end game you make the end game for yourself. It have to be long enough to keep you interested for decades. I hope this helps clear up the problem with all the thinking. Everyone can't have the same things because we are all unique individuals and we make our way in the ultima online game. Thats what strategy games like WOW are for and shooters like UT.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats what strategy games like WOW are for and shooters like UT.
However I'm pretty sure that WoW also has these people who will try and sell rares/uniques for a ton of gold along with people who are willing to pay a ton for it.

U

UOKaiser

However I'm pretty sure that WoW also has these people who will try and sell rares/uniques for a ton of gold along with people who are willing to pay a ton for it.
Yea there are. I remmeber some girl willing to give it up for one of those wow flying things. So I guess gold is the least thing to use as a barganing trade. Though It's nice for people to sell things that are unique in Uo. I sure would buy those tall talking statues just because there rarerity. Though am sure if they were common I wouldn't even bother just like I don't bother to use those heralds in those tokens. Rarety is also a status symbol like the what etherial mounts used to be and the polar bear still is kind of.Or when you crafted something with your name on it, Or like when someone had grandmaster in there paperdoll in the earlie days every one was impressed. These days it means nothing because everyone is a grandmaster-legendary. I have to say rares is probably one of the last symbols of status and dedication in UO left.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was actually a statement to the effect that there wouldn't be rare items awarded at events. Instead, items would be given to all attended as a memento.

Well, to my knowledged, for example, recently at a Pacific EM Event only 3 sashes with unique text were awarded.

How does that qualify for not being rare items ???

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok I finally think i know where popps went wrong. Ultima online is not a PVP game. It is a RPG. Repeat with me popps and we might get this working finaly R....P....G stands for Role Playing Game. Which means PVP is just a small part of it. This is not a vs game a shooter a strategy a board game no not at all this is a RPG. There pvm,collecters,merchants,fishers,craftmen,house decorators,auctioneers,role players,husband and wives,girlfriend and boyfriends living a virtual life,player run events, more than I can name and pvp players. As you can see every part makes up the game. The motto of ultima online is be who you want do what you want. It's the first and still unique online sandbox game. There is no end game you make the end game for yourself. It have to be long enough to keep you interested for decades. I hope this helps clear up the problem with all the thinking. Everyone can't have the same things because we are all unique individuals and we make our way in the ultima online game. Thats what strategy games like WOW are for and shooters like UT.

And why would it ever be on earth bad to want a good, healthy and thriving PvP featured in this game?

Would it be such a terrible, a horrible thing if PvP was not as marginalized in UO as it is now ??

Because, if we want it to thrive and flourish, then something gotta be done to make fights open ended to participants or we will hardly ever see more players willing to participate to it.

Who likes to loose over and over ? Hardly anyone.

But if PvP is cut up in a few players having all of the best gear and weapons and, most of all, the resources (wealth) to keep up with the PvP end game raising costs, and a bunch of other PvP wanna bees who cannot compete for their insufficient means (lower gears and wealth) well, eventually most players gives up and forgets about doing the PvP end game which then dies out and remains a niche activity of a few elite players with means to spare to play this expensive hobby.....

I do not see other ways but evening out the field for PvP if we want to see more people do it. Wealth accumulation in the hands of only a few players/guilds ain't the right way, IMHO, to have a healthy and flourishing PvP in the game.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well, to my knowledged, for example, recently at a Pacific EM Event only 3 sashes with unique text were awarded.

How does that qualify for not being rare items ???
...and a continuation from that small section you quoted...

There was a lot of drama over that, and although the devs didn't publicly back down on the point, something like a week later, the destruction of the big city-invasion-crystal spawned something like 15 fastest-finger/script-wins items.
I believe that suggests that the devs changed their mind on giving items to everyone.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea there are. I remmeber some girl willing to give it up for one of those wow flying things. So I guess gold is the least thing to use as a barganing trade. Though It's nice for people to sell things that are unique in Uo. I sure would buy those tall talking statues just because there rarerity. Though am sure if they were common I wouldn't even bother just like I don't bother to use those heralds in those tokens. Rarety is also a status symbol like the what etherial mounts used to be and the polar bear still is kind of.Or when you crafted something with your name on it, Or like when someone had grandmaster in there paperdoll in the earlie days every one was impressed. These days it means nothing because everyone is a grandmaster-legendary. I have to say rares is probably one of the last symbols of status and dedication in UO left.

I am not advocating the end of rares in UO by no means.

I like rares in UO, rares like the statue you mention, spittoons, server birth, old holiday items and so forth. Those I am very very fine with.

I am absolutely against with these NEWLY created rares, custom created, at EM Events, every few weeks.

While the other rares I see them as fit and proper for the game, these other EM Events rares I do not. To me it only looks like another gold mine to dig wealth out of a go-go, to fund PvP expensive high end costs and so maintain always a upper hand.

It hurts PvP to have players having more resources, unlimited resources, to fund their PvP expenses with.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good god popps, is this what your rant is about? Paranoid that the only people who get the items are secretly using them to fund their PvP gear?? Lol!

I knew it, you're still secretly ranting about PvP and PvP gear.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe that suggests that the devs changed their mind on giving items to everyone.

I am sorry, but I cannot see that as right.

I mean, what if, for example, a given event is just poorly advertised and only 5 people on the shard actually get to know about it and attend it ?

They participate and they end up being the only ones obtaining the new uniquely created items. Wow, they have a unique rare potentially worth tens if not 100+ millions for being so rare and unique.

And who knows, the Event was even perhaps a joke so in 5 minutes and doing very little now 5 players on a shard will be able to cash in 100+ millions ? Give me a break, please..........

Meaning, at least from my point of view, that a number of things may go wrong when there is a policy of allowing new rares to be created.

They do not have to go wrong but they might go wrong and should that happen, then the result is bad for the game, overall.

That is why I think EM Events should have rules that make them be run, for the same items, over multiple times, spanning over several days if not weeks, so as to ensure that the widest number of players can actually take part and earn those same items.

It is EM Events being a new rares factory that I do not like at all.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry, but I cannot see that as right.

I mean, what if, for example, a given event is just poorly advertised and only 5 people on the shard actually get to know about it and attend it ?

They participate and they end up being the only ones obtaining the new uniquely created items. Wow, they have a unique rare potentially worth tens if not 100+ millions for being so rare and unique.

And who knows, the Event was even perhaps a joke so in 5 minutes and doing very little now 5 players on a shard will be able to cash in 100+ millions ? Give me a break, please..........

Meaning, at least from my point of view, that a number of things may go wrong when there is a policy of allowing new rares to be created.

They do not have to go wrong but they might go wrong and should that happen, then the result is bad for the game, overall.

That is why I think EM Events should have rules that make them be run, for the same items, over multiple times, spanning over several days if not weeks, so as to ensure that the widest number of players can actually take part and earn those same items.

It is EM Events being a new rares factory that I do not like at all.
You still don't understand it very well, do you? Having an item from an event, even if it is 1 of 5, DOES NOT mean they suddenly have 100+ million! Just because you start trying to sell it for 100 million DOES NOT mean you will get 100 million! Especially if it is a simple piece of clothing.

Chances are NO ONE will even want to spend over 10 million for it! Let alone 5 million! There may be a hand-full of players who would consider it, but that would be rare.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good god popps, is this what your rant is about? Paranoid that the only people who get the items are secretly using them to fund their PvP gear?? Lol!

I knew it, you're still secretly ranting about PvP and PvP gear.

Well, I'd like more people to actively participate to PvP in UO but as long as some players can find wealth sources like Events newly created rares and use them to cash in enormous amounts of gold which give them the upper hand in PvP, this great game feature will never be able to thrive because a limited number of players will always have more gold to spend to support their high end PvP modifiers.

And this, deters other players from participating to PvP, I am afraid, because fights are then hardly open ended.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You still don't understand it very well, do you? Having an item from an event, even if it is 1 of 5, DOES NOT mean they suddenly have 100+ million! Just because you start trying to sell it for 100 million DOES NOT mean you will get 100 million! Especially if it is a simple piece of clothing.

Chances are NO ONE will even want to spend over 10 million for it! Let alone 5 million! There may be a hand-full of players who would consider it, but that would be rare.

Did you attend any shard Auction, lately ?

If you have the time, try Pacific. There is one held every other sunday for rares.

Other shards like Atlantic are also quite lively as for rares.

Try a few out and you will see whether or not EM Events newly created rares can be a gold mine source for funding, easily and at barely any effort, high end PvP gear and weaponry.

I am sorry, but I just cannot see this as right. Not at all.