• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EC still crashes to desktop.!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I would like to say that I was crashing at one point and set my cache to 0 and have not crashed in 3 weeks now!
Personally ive had my cache at zero for weeks? now and crash everyday.
I tried this as well and it didn't work for me. I set my cache to 0 and it didn't seem to make any difference in the number of crashes.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still crashing continuously cache been set to zero for about 3 weeks now and in seige thats a problem i dont have insurance like most of you

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Accualy sprago i joined your guild on siege but its been to long since i played cc and after crashing several times on siege on ec i dont know how much youll see me over there = /

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So for some reason i never thought to acualy goto the source, i did post to cal and he wrote that they do not have a time frame but are aware of the problem and are working on it. It will go live with maintenece when it is fixed.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Accualy sprago i joined your guild on siege but its been to long since i played cc and after crashing several times on siege on ec i dont know how much youll see me over there = /
hey thats cool at least ya know ya got a position waiting fo rya when ya come back to siege

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i noticed my ec client in taskbar is called uosa.exe *32

i wonder if just moving the game from program filesx86 to program files would make a difference? or are they the exact same thing and just a way to organize files?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is normal on 64bit system, since EC is a 32 bit application. the 32 indicates that

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is normal on 64bit system, since EC is a 32 bit application. the 32 indicates that
But the question was, does it matter if the ec client is in the program files folder or the program files x86 folder.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There may be some permissions issues if you start moving programs around, but never install programs in their default locations and I don't have issues. Mind you I have also turned off UAC and my account is an administrator account.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
program files folder and the program files (x86) folders are pretty identical in terms of permissions.

only thing is just that the one without the suffix is reserved for only 64 bit applications. so it should not matter.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i actually managed to crash enhanced client for once.. first time i crashed in about two months.

and all i did different from usual is i zoomed way out..

could be a fluke.. i dont know, but test it

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Moving to programs files from programs filesx86 did not work i am still crashing.

2. I play at EC default zoom (hit astrix on num pad). This shows quite a bit more tiles out than 2d does. I was thinkin at one point this might be a problem. What zoom do you usualy play at?

L

Lord_Armageddon

also. if you are using win7 or vista, you may in some cases benifit from doing a scandisk on the drive with EC. they both (in some cases) got a bad data corruption issue, not caught by the patcher.

Computer - Right click drive in question - properties - tools - disk scan (tick automaticly correct error, but leave scan sectors uncheckeed).
disck scan without sector scan typically take 2-10 min depending on disksize and number of files on your disk, note that your pc will schedule a scan for next time your pc is restarted if its the system drive to be scanned.

would like to point out its an issue in windows, not in EC
Actially it's Properties->Tools->Error-checking in Windows 7. It requires a reboot to run as it will not check the disk while it is in use. There is only a very slim chance that this could be the problem, but it never hurts to check.

From my experience it's a graphics timing issue. I've not done any scientific checks so don't know about memory leaks and such, but when I have experienced it I was generally moving rapidly through a graphics intensive area. Lots of trees, or things like that with a myriad of small graphics units. I'm runing a 64bit HP laptop with DirectX 11. I've not seen a lot of dropouts, but always at a most inappropriate time.

The DirectX issue is twofold. First, DirectX 11 (and 10) are supersets of DirectX 9 and below. As such they have all the functionality found in earlier versions. However, not all the DirectX 9 libraries are installed because their functionality is redundant. However, programmers don't always plan properly, and when they programmed for DirectX 9 their code looks for DirectX 9, not 10 or 11. This would go back to the core system that is driving all games based on a particular engine. When the program can't find the library it is looking for, it doesn't know to look for a newer library, so the inevitable result is an eventual crash.

If you go to Microsoft.com and search for DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer you'll find the link to download the installer. This will install the optional components that should fix, or at least minimize the problem. Of course, no guarantees.

From a programmers point of view, the fix is easy. Instead of looking for 9, look for 9 or greater. (>= in programmereze). Unfortunately, when the game engine was written, 9 was the latest and greatest, and nobody expected there would be a 10 or 11. By the same token, when Microsoft created 10 and 11, they made it backward compatible to 9 and below, so why include the old libraries? The old Catch-22. Fortunately the fix is still easy, but just takes a little time to download and install. However, it is pretty seamless.

Kind of a simplistic explanation, but hope it helps.

L

Lord_Armageddon

1. Moving to programs files from programs filesx86 did not work i am still crashing.
You really shouldn't do this. Program FilesX86 are non 64bit programs and are written differently than native 64bit programs. Program Files is where Windows expects to find 64 bit programs. If a file is in the X86 directory, it knows to forgo the 64 bit enhancements and run it as 32bit code.

It may not really matter, but with Microsoft you never know. It's just better not to try to fool the system.

There is a difference between installing a program in a directory and moving it to a directory. When you install it, there are pointers that are set to that directory that are not changed when you move it. Moving a program once it is installed is never a wise idea. You're messing with registry settings, and a lot of other things that could cause a program to completely quit working.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just ran it for the first time and played for about an hour and a half...

I had no issues with crashes at all.. In fact the EC seems to run quite a bit faster than Classic.. I could literally run circles around dragons in Destard!

I did get a small bug while I was rearranging things at my house.. I had several chests and backpacks open and suddenly I couldn't move anything... kept telling me "You cannot move that".. Had to log out and back in to fix it..

My computer is by no means new...

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just ran it for the first time and played for about an hour and a half...

I had no issues with crashes at all.. In fact the EC seems to run quite a bit faster than Classic.. I could literally run circles around dragons in Destard!

I did get a small bug while I was rearranging things at my house.. I had several chests and backpacks open and suddenly I couldn't move anything... kept telling me "You cannot move that".. Had to log out and back in to fix it..

My computer is by no means new...
depends by lag if you drag item faster :p

However in my UI there is the action: "Drag what you are currently holding" that fix the problem when happen :)