• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EC still crashes to desktop.!

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, did you install win7 service pack 1?

if not, id suggest you do that, there are many reports on that helping EC

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, did you install win7 service pack 1?

if not, id suggest you do that, there are many reports on that helping EC
I went to go download it but hte download page has some info to check if you have it already. I followed the steps and yes it is already on teh computer.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
aye it came more or less automaticly with windoes update short after publish, i would be surpriced if you did not have it, but was just making sure.

am out of ideas, tho you may try and mess with ingame graphics settings, and disable the carto setting in pinco's ui like he suggested.

other than that i think all is left to blame a somewhat malfunctioning client in some areas / on some machines.

oops i ment to edit.. :( but accidentely double posted.. sry..

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
aye it came more or less automaticly with windoes update short after publish, i would be surpriced if you did not have it, but was just making sure.

am out of ideas, tho you may try and mess with ingame graphics settings, and disable the carto setting in pinco's ui like he suggested.

other than that i think all is left to blame a somewhat malfunctioning client in some areas / on some machines.

oops i ment to edit.. :( but accidentely double posted.. sry..
Severly malfunctioning on alot of machines would be closer to the mark i believe.

We shouldnt downgrade the issue at all. Random common crashes will not keep butts in the seats.

W

Woodsman

I can say it's not random for me - it happens in heavily populated areas.

I was playing with some stuff tonight and went around Fire Island and into the temple and it was solid - no problems crashing at all, and swapping out weapons was incredibly fast and stable. I did it for like an hour and a half.

Recall to outside of Luna, walk onto the main Luna circle, and it dies.

And for a few moments I thought it turned my red gargoyle purple tonight, but it's the same in the CC and it looks like it's a bug and nothing to do with EC.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just like to report that i was finaly able to play EC without map today and within less than an hour i did crash to desktop.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not sure this crashing of yours is an EC issue... I had some crash issues previously. After a windows 7 update about 4 months ago, the problem went away and has not returned. Unsure what it was that got fixed. It was before the service pack release.

Use Event Viewer. it is a little advertised nice piece of software with win 7. find it by typing it in the search program box. I don't know how computer litterate you are, but you should be able to figure out what all was going on on your computer right up to where your app got killed. Not offering solutions here, just tools to help figure it out. I suspect however that it has to do with IRQ's and cycles. Sometimes updating the firmware on your network card helps. I did that on another machine where i was having crash issues (not with UO, i don't run UO on that box) and it solved similar "unexplained" things. Another spot to check is actually your firmware on your router. as silly as it may seem. lastly, see if you can switch around the network card and your graphics card inside your computer.

Not sure if any of this helps, but I would continue looking for a solution as it likely can be fixed.
The only error im getting that is closely timed with my crashing is,
Souce: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7036

the only problem is that this error is constant, from the time i start the machine it can happen 20 times a second and what looks like never more than 20 minutes apart. Ive had one happen in the same minute as a EC crash, but ive also had them spaced 10 minutes before an EC crash. So im gonna have to assume its no the 7036 that is crashing me = (

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think the crash to desktop has anything to do with being in a heavily populated area or not.

I have UO running on three modern Windows 7 machines. They all three crash randomly. As noted by many, these crashes are an immediate closing of the client, straight to desktop.

I play on average 2-4 hours per day and usually I am playing with my kids on the two other computers. We all experience the crash to desktop. It's on a frequency of about at least once per hour.

I've crashed at champ spawns, Navrey Night Eyes, in Luna, as well as, at my houses and running out in the middle of nowhere in mostly empty land.

All three machines run AMD processors and Radeon graphics cards. All three machines have the latest drivers for CPUs, mainboards, graphics cards, etc. I keep all my computers up to date with Windows updates and device drivers.

We play the EC exclusively now so I'm looking forward to this getting fixed. It's a little disappointing not hearing much from the devs about the crash to desktop issue.

For now, we just deal with it. We usually are playing together so we don't die every time we crash but it's a pain in the butt nevertheless.

Also of note is the fact that my laptop running Windows XP Pro, experiences the exact same crashes to desktop as my Windows 7 machines. So, it's not exclusively any particular OS that's suffering from this problem.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only error im getting that is closely timed with my crashing is,
Souce: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7036

the only problem is that this error is constant, from the time i start the machine it can happen 20 times a second and what looks like never more than 20 minutes apart. Ive had one happen in the same minute as a EC crash, but ive also had them spaced 10 minutes before an EC crash. So im gonna have to assume its no the 7036 that is crashing me = (
I have the same exact problem.. and it really sux becasue ive gotten to greatly enjoy the client but i cant continue to have these problems ive even went back to the 2d cleints till this gets fixed

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the same exact problem.. and it really sux becasue ive gotten to greatly enjoy the client but i cant continue to have these problems ive even went back to the 2d cleints till this gets fixed
Ya if i was still on siege sprago i wouldnt run 3d. thank god for atl insurance = )

W

Woodsman

It would help a lot if a dev popped in and acknowledged that something changed in the last patch or two with the EC, because we don't know where the problem occurs.

One unifying factor is that we all crash to desktop. My UO window completed disappears, and I can restart within seconds of it crashing and no issues with that, just have to wait for the patch checking and login windows.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya if i was still on siege sprago i wouldnt run 3d. thank god for atl insurance = )
yea i lost a suit the other day because of it sucks ass thats why i had to go back to 2d which im not a fan of

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would help a lot if a dev popped in and acknowledged that something changed in the last patch or two with the EC, because we don't know where the problem occurs.

One unifying factor is that we all crash to desktop. My UO window completed disappears, and I can restart within seconds of it crashing and no issues with that, just have to wait for the patch checking and login windows.
the devs will never talk about problems they cant fix or cant afford to fix. they rather have a ****ty game and hope people dont unsub? who knows who cares they will fix it in there own time. the combined effort of people on these forums trying to fix the problem is probably 10x as much effort as they will have to put into it since they accualy know about this stuff. i hope there art work looks good cause obviously pretty pictures is more important than playability.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the devs will never talk about problems they cant fix or cant afford to fix. they rather have a ****ty game and hope people dont unsub? who knows who cares they will fix it in there own time. the combined effort of people on these forums trying to fix the problem is probably 10x as much effort as they will have to put into it since they accualy know about this stuff. i hope there art work looks good cause obviously pretty pictures is more important than playability.
No and they know that, otherwise they never canceled the KR client.

There is a crash problem which has todo with specific areas, there are many areas which are crash free, i can do despice champ all day long without even one crash, but if i then enter this specific locations i will crash.

Navery's lair is a good spot for that.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No and they know that, otherwise they never canceled the KR client.

There is a crash problem which has todo with specific areas, there are many areas which are crash free, i can do despice champ all day long without even one crash, but if i then enter this specific locations i will crash.

Navery's lair is a good spot for that.
Ive had the crash to desktop in despice destard and hythloth. ive had it most commonly in yew. Ive never had it in luna.

Its more common where you spend the most ammount of time i think. Like you spend some time in despise prolly not as much as navrey. i spend some time in luna but not nearly as much as the other stated places. Ive never crashed at navrey.

The point is the crashes are random and if you spend enough time at once in any place its gonna happen.

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm playing on a modern Windows 7 achine and I'm getting the crashes to desktop usually in specific situations. It's happened virtually everywhere, but more often than not I'm running zoomed out, for more viewable area. Mostly it happens in spawns, since that is when I'm running a wide zoom, but it has happened before when I was fighting Stygian Dragon, which didn't make me a happy camper.

I could understand a spawn because that many mobs on the screen seems like it could cause some sort of overload, but the times it happened in stygian, it was just me and the dragon in the place. And it seemt to me that every single time it happened I had just begun running, after being stopped. Example, I would run to a group of monsters, pause to kill them, and begin running again, and bam, desktop. I might be totally off base here, and the amount of zoom could be coincidental, but the running doesn't seem to be.

Anyone had that happen when they weren't moving, or when they were walking?

W

Woodsman

ts more common where you spend the most ammount of time i think. Like you spend some time in despise prolly not as much as navrey. i spend some time in luna but not nearly as much as the other stated places. Ive never crashed at navrey.
It really must be incredibly random, although I've noticed that it only happens when I'm zoomed all the way out. That may not be anything - I'm usually running zoomed all the way out.

If it was based on where you spend the most time, I shouldn't be crashing as soon as I recall or run into Luna, I should be crashing in Ilshenar or various dungeons or when I'm mining or lumberjacking in certain areas. I rarely crash in the areas where I spend the majority of my time. I can be in one area for half an hour or more and not have any problems. When I crash in Luna, it's literally me recalling in and taking a few steps and then boom, I'm staring at the desktop or a browser.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I am convinced this is tied to moving i can sit in one place for days and fish or craft and not have a problem even having my boat move but if my character moves is only time I have ever seen it do this

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good point wood. what is odd is ive tried to crash myself in luna and cant. i mean ive ran in and out of every house 5 times making loops around town.

i agree storm.

W

Woodsman

Come to think of it Storm, I've never had it happen when I'm not moving as well.

It's always some kind of movement, even if it's just a few steps after recalling, or running through the woods.

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The other problem that seems to be tied to movement is the "naked people running at mounted speed" bug that has been there for at least 2 years... Usually it happens when you're running with someone else and they dip out of your screen for a second, then come back in. You gotta wonder if Pinco can fix his UI bugs in a day or two, why have these bugs been persistant for years?

W

Woodsman

It maybe completely random and I maybe jinxing myself but I haven't crashed since the patch yesterday.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive been training throwing since just before patch, so im not moving around nearly as much or visiting alot of different areas but i have also not had a crash since patch. That includes at one point taking the memory leak to 860k. I would have thought id have had at least one crash though.... Keep posting this thread for a few days or week to keep it up top but hopefully they fixed it.

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so magically after years, after all the patches and all the posts about the client crashing to desktop, after all the people posting after each patch that they havent crashed yet that day, this is the one that fixes it? I'll believe that after a couple weeks of no crashes. :D

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure that all my crashes to desktop, have been while I was moving as well. As a matter of fact, I believe that many of them happened the instant I pressed to mouse button to move.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so magically after years, after all the patches and all the posts about the client crashing to desktop, after all the people posting after each patch that they havent crashed yet that day, this is the one that fixes it? I'll believe that after a couple weeks of no crashes. :D
im with you man, just wishfull thinking. Id like to add that my crashing didnt start till the last big patch when i came back in late feb? but heres to not crashing every 10mins-1hour if they did fix it! please post if you crash.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been training skills last couple days but friend of mine crashed to desktop on EC today.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Not crashed for last couple of days not sure maybe just getting lucky I also moved my cache size to 0

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
cache to zero is a must for longer run time.

I did just crash running to atlantics new AH grand opening. 20+ people on screen first time i can rememebr crashing in luna, crashed straight to desktop and i had just reset client about 3-5 mintues prior.

W

Woodsman

I had a few crashes earlier this evening, but will play with the caching.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
one more thing to eliminate

Right click EC Folder and select security tab.

should be an entry called "Authorized users" make sure it has write/modifying rights.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I modified my cache size on the 19th or 20th and still have not crashed and have played everyday I set mine to 0

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
for me so far it seems to be I will keep going a few more days and see then switch it back and see how long before I crash

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My chache has pretty much always been set to zero.

i have had a couple crashes, id like to say its better but with the holiday and all havnt realy been able to play more than 30 minutes at a time.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to post so much i have some little hope someone important will read this forum.
that said....
i have crashed again and was wondering, can we manualy do a -memrelease

i keep trying to find new ways to stop EC from crashing. im 99% sure this isnt built into EC so is there a way to do it manualy on windows 7?

Kons

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
If you want to help the EC stability play with it and make it crash a lot.
Each time (almost all the times) it crashes a packet is sent to the server with the exception trace.
From what i have analyzed the exception i always had is a Access Read/Write violation (0x00000005).
what i don't understand is why they haven't fixed it yet :) , but i hope they are working on it.
About memory leek, it involves static facet loading (landtiles+statics+delimiters) and also dynamic objects. I've reached 1.5 gb of ram just by running with my player some times ago. I've sent documented report through online debug but never had any answer..

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just came to say that myself and 2 friends have each crashed at least 2x today. its 3:20pm where i am at.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
one more thing to eliminate

Right click EC Folder and select security tab.

should be an entry called "Authorized users" make sure it has write/modifying rights.
sorry to quote myself, but pls check this, and give your user acc write/modidying permissions also.

i crashed with 2d ever so often, yes classic client, this made it work for that, so am suspecting it might be a similar issue.

nothing is certain however.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry to quote myself, but pls check this, and give your user acc write/modidying permissions also.

i crashed with 2d ever so often, yes classic client, this made it work for that, so am suspecting it might be a similar issue.

nothing is certain however.
yes i did not reply when i tried this but i did and still am crashing = (

I think its gone past what users need to do and just a simple fact that EA will not spend time or money on their game. uber sad face.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
check memory usage amount for enhanced client. at the time of crash.

you stated in my thread that was intended for static info as clean as possible that you could crash in 3 minutes.

ec should not be able to build to a criticical memory amount in 3 minutes.. not with your pc anyways.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
its not going to be easy to do that. when you crash to desktop its because the process ends immediately. you'd have to run the client on one side of your screen and the windows task manager on the other and record or keep a close eye on the task manager's memory stats.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luckily for me i have a big enough monitor i can set the task manager to stay on top in a very little box on the bottom right corner of my screen that shows the ec current leakage. And yes i have crashed literaly just after logging into uo with the ec after a full client restart where i watch task manager to completely drain of the uosa exec. it usualy takes 5-10 seconds after you close client for it to do so.

Ive never checked to see if the client takes tiem to drain after a crash as im usualy pvping and jump right back in. im gonna have to check and see if it dumps it instantly or if its like when i hit the x and it takes tiem to go down before disapearing.

Ive said before the crash problem doesnt have to do with the memory leak, just that they both need fixed. After running EC for over a half hour if i get around enough i am laggy from teh ammount of leakage built up. I dueled a dude for liek 40 mins one time where we didnt move off the screen and afterward i went straight to yew and ran literaly 30% faster than people that can usualy get away from the me. My screen was very choppy but apperently **** went wrong.

The client has alot of bugs, no need to lump then all together. Fix the crash, then the leak. After that i dont give a damn.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yea.. EC is generelly pretty picky it would appear, smallest inconsistancy and it will shut down.

id suggest mythic putting in a crash info/submit dialoque upon crash. so they can get info what cause these crashes.

lets hope they look into this when they start working on it like they promised.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am getting seriously annoyed with this. This has been going on for months. Whoever is responsible for fixing bugs in the client needs to get their act together and fix this. It's getting pretty hard to plug the enhanced client when it is subject to this nonsense.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I would like to say that I was crashing at one point and set my cache to 0 and have not crashed in 3 weeks now! Not saying this will help everyone but if you have not tried it you might want to or maybe its just the way i have all my options configured but it has stopped for me!

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to say that I was crashing at one point and set my cache to 0 and have not crashed in 3 weeks now! Not saying this will help everyone but if you have not tried it you might want to or maybe its just the way i have all my options configured but it has stopped for me!
How often do you play at a time for a solid amount of time?

Personally ive had my cache at zero for weeks? now and crash everyday. Heck i crashed at navrey this morning.