does bloodwood ever spawn?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 24, 2011
Atlantic
Seriously, I have thousands of each wood type now, but not once have I ever gotten bloodwood. Does it spawn or is it broken?

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 28, 2000
I have gotten bloodwood, [usually when hoping for frostwood]
I get bloodwood.

At any rate, I have gotten bloodwood though.

I was getting bloodwood often on one tree recently,
in front of my former Brit Moongate area home a few mos. ago on Chesapeake.

On Siege I oft get bloodwood on the same few trees on Ocllo Isle.

After harvesting what I could, the trees revert back to heartwood,
but at least I have gotten quite a bit of bloodwood,
from time to time.

L

longshanks

i know your pain. i been mining pretty hard core these past 2 weeks and i got about 78 val ore to show for it. :confused:

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Shh we are not supposed to complain about the idiotic change of making us have to hunt for mining spots and wood. I swear it was one of the largest blunder head moves.. the only people able to do it are the ones who are cheating and mass lj and mining via bot program. I can take you to a place on Napa where the same guy has been mining non stop in the same area for well over 2 weeks... nonstop. I get bloodwood more often than any of the other special woods. I have not found a single Valorite spot.. and I have been looking... strip run mining.... CHANGE IT BACK DEVS THIS WAY SUCKS WE CANT DO OUR BODS

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
I have complained about this for months ... hell years !!! Cant get frostwood if my life depended on it, bloodwood is so rare ...... now heartwood is not so bad if I chop termur dry i can find 3 or 4 trees.... I aqm all with you. They need to up the spawn of the higher woods.... period. Before the change on 3 of the shards I play i knew of at least 1 to 4 trees of the top 3 woods per. Now........ IF I am lucky I can find heartwood, Bloodwood is so rare when i do find it the tree gives 11 to 33 logs and then poofs to oak. I have yet to find a Frostwood tree on Napa.......in the last oh 3 years! I did find one on catskills 3 years ago for 11 logs then it went away.

I took the stratis group advice though... i put in 3 tree stumps which i harvest when i feed my fish. Yesterday they gave me 50 bloodwood and 10 Frost!!!

I want more high end trees and i want the duration of it to ether be tripled or perma!

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 13, 2002
Green Mt State - Vt
Worse move ever (well close to it) the Dev's ever did. Like we all said, the only one it hurt was the honest miner or Lj'r, the bot's could care less !

And on Napa I know the toon ya mean I think, always atop the 2nd entrance to the underworld mining, the second you recal in close the toon recalls out.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sep 8, 2006
Origin
I was not aware they changed the spawning of resources as I've been gone for quite some time, but I have to say I like the change.

My crafter NEVER EVER gathered resources in Trammel...who would? With the double resources in Fel no crafter in their right minds would ever gather in Tram.

I had....gosh I don't even remember...at LEAST 2 full runebooks of each resource, metal and wood, and unfortunatly so did all the idiot PK'rs lol.

It got so bad I had to hunt for new spots to chop wood and mine, rendering my resource runebook library useless.

This new change, while some might not agree with it, was a good idea just for that very reason...not to mention the many people using...that illegal program...Easy...yeah you know which one I mean. Those runebooks EVERYONE had made the people using that program rich...illegally and the people who actually went out and did the work by hand got shafted because all the spots were already empty.

Yeah it stinks having to hunt for the metal and wood you need, but that's one of the MANY reasons I love UO, it's SO realistic...I don't see miners in real life recalling to the diamond mines and mining one spot every few hours, it puts the realism back into UO, one thing I hold dear to this game.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 2, 2003
I was not aware they changed the spawning of resources as I've been gone for quite some time, but I have to say I like the change.

My crafter NEVER EVER gathered resources in Trammel...who would? With the double resources in Fel no crafter in their right minds would ever gather in Tram.

I had....gosh I don't even remember...at LEAST 2 full runebooks of each resource, metal and wood, and unfortunatly so did all the idiot PK'rs lol.

It got so bad I had to hunt for new spots to chop wood and mine, rendering my resource runebook library useless.

This new change, while some might not agree with it, was a good idea just for that very reason...not to mention the many people using...that illegal program...Easy...yeah you know which one I mean. Those runebooks EVERYONE had made the people using that program rich...illegally and the people who actually went out and did the work by hand got shafted because all the spots were already empty.

Yeah it stinks having to hunt for the metal and wood you need, but that's one of the MANY reasons I love UO, it's SO realistic...I don't see miners in real life recalling to the diamond mines and mining one spot every few hours, it puts the realism back into UO, one thing I hold dear to this game.
Welcome back Larisa!

Well, for those that stocked up before the change - its made them richer including the scripters. I farmed a few 100k of frostwood on a shard where the trees were never camped. Easy to go out at pick up 10k just by running through my full runebook of fel frost spots.

Now that it is changed - my stash of frostwood is much higher in value.

I did a little LJ the other day and found the rarer woods harder to find than usual. Not enough time spent though to know if just bad luck or really a problem just yet.

I've also noticed that spots that 'used' to be rare wood, while it rotates the wood type, are far more likely to have *some* kind of rare wood - just not the guaranteed variety of the past.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Even though the change has been a bit frustrating, I prefer it over how it used to be. If you were a casual miner or lumberjack not running a script, you had no chance of getting the high end ores or woods because someone else was always there ahead of you, even in Trammel. (And no, I don't have any tree stumps or mining carts...accounts aren't old enough and/or I've used my rewards on Siege for more basic stuff like portals and commodity deed boxes.)

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
I dont.. in real life if you hit a Vein of ORE its that ore... not 2 whacks.. that ore then next time shadow.. Yes you know the toon I am talking about he mines the same path day in and day out.. and will pull in an alt to take the ore out for him try sitting and watching him. He has been reported soooooo many times its not even funny. We cant mine up enough to fill our bods let alone sell... and the only ones selling are those Botters. Change it back.... This method SUCKS. I have been mining every day.. in all the old places... since i returned 6 months ago.. I STILL have not hit one single Valorite place. I have mined all over fel, tram, ilsh, ter, etc etc etc.... Do the GMS even acvtually do somethign about exploiters anymore?? Or do they not care at all period? The only ones benefitting form this change is the botters... the honest miners like myself... are throwing in the towl. I have stopped getting bods. Hey Devs.. I enjoy my thief as well wanna make it where I can only steal one lamp post a month?? That way all the toons i like to play are useless????

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
I dont.. in real life if you hit a Vein of ORE its that ore... not 2 whacks.. that ore then next time shadow.. Yes you know the toon I am talking about he mines the same path day in and day out.. and will pull in an alt to take the ore out for him try sitting and watching him. He has been reported soooooo many times its not even funny. We cant mine up enough to fill our bods let alone sell... and the only ones selling are those Botters. Change it back.... This method SUCKS. I have been mining every day.. in all the old places... since i returned 6 months ago.. I STILL have not hit one single Valorite place. I have mined all over fel, tram, ilsh, ter, etc etc etc.... Do the GMS even acvtually do somethign about exploiters anymore?? Or do they not care at all period? The only ones benefitting form this change is the botters... the honest miners like myself... are throwing in the towl. I have stopped getting bods. Hey Devs.. I enjoy my thief as well wanna make it where I can only steal one lamp post a month?? That way all the toons i like to play are useless????
What works best for me is to find a specific area where you like to mine or lumberjack. I'd suggest an area that it takes you maybe 30-45 minutes to go over just once. Cover the whole area repeatedly over the course of a few hours or days. This works for me much better than just going all over the place and trying new areas just once and then moving on to another area, also to cover it just once. Stick with one general area and keep mining or chopping trees and forcing things to periodically change.

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Only the fan boys on thie site are still for this stupid change. All of the people I talk to on the 3 shards I play on... ALL HATE IT. I shouldnt have to stand in one spotand mine for hours on hours and days on days and pray I will get a different ore. IU like to move... if I see someone hitting the same few spots over and over its a bot.. we all know it...

W

Woodsman

I can take you to a place on Napa where the same guy has been mining non stop in the same area for well over 2 weeks... nonstop.
If you see somebody scripting non-stop for the 23 hours and some change that the shards are up, you should report them.

As for the changes, yeah, it was a rude awakening when I came back. Very annoying, and it forced me to change a few things I was doing, as they are very unreliable.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

Again, ore is fine IMO. I've been able to get a reasonable amount of all colors normally mining, PLUS you have the tools to bump the ore levels by up to two (one safely, the other with a risk).

The problem with wood is that the distribution is too tight and there are no tools that match what can be done with mining.

So tweak the distribution and add in the necessary types of tools.

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Dermott yor in the minority. I have seen a guy nonstop mining again in the same spot for over 2 weeks. No matter what time of day or night.. being a disabled vet I get to play as long as I want lol... the wife plays along side me. He is always in the same spot mining.. doesnt help to turn him in either. I say for over 2 weeks... cause about 3 weeks ago he was off for 2 weeks... before that he was there everyday since I can remember... and that was shortly after the gargoyle lands and expansion went live....

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
I have mined off adn on all day today...... more on than off and still havent hit any valorite... a ton of verite.. not a dang single piece of Val... PUT IT BACK TO THE OLD WAY

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 26, 2005
run merchant ships you wont bother mining again i u do same for wood!!

I have mined off adn on all day today...... more on than off and still havent hit any valorite... a ton of verite.. not a dang single piece of Val... PUT IT BACK TO THE OLD WAY

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
See the point is I am supposed to be able to mine and chop whats needed... and since the Devs smoked what ever it was they smoiked and listened to their fanbois and changed this to this stupid system... its borked us regular players and aided the Botters. I can show you the vendor of the guy whos minign at that one spot.. he has commod deeds for each ore and wood... multiple deeds i might add... (10k per deed)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

Regardless of what is done to resource harvesting, scriptors are always going to be able to script (the only real solution is active policing of the shards).

The current system was designed more to regain the RARITY of the higher end resources. Under the old system, everyone had runes to any specific resource making the whole "rarity"and "skill level needed"scales completely pointless.

Ok, so you know of a scriptor. Said scriptor sits in one spot endlessly. Well let's see... previously that spot could have been a Valorite or other specific desired vein (or frostwood... whatever). Now the scriptor has to deal with the ever changing cycle and cannot rely on any one resource (other than iron/wood) being a constant.

Neither system will actually STOP a scriptor, nor does the new system specifically favor or cater to scriptors in any direct way.

Yes, you have to do things a little differently in terms of harvesting resources now...but if you know how, at least with Mining, it's perfectly fine.

Lumberjacking needs some attention though, that I have been consistent in agreeing with.

S

Sevin0oo0

additional comment: I say leave it like it is until I get all my stash sold

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006

Welcome Back cupcake!!

Dont mind Tina on Siege mining is not quite like main stream shards.. trust me on this one...
I have had the same val spot next to my tower for 2 years now..and 4 bronze near my villa on Siege P.
I havent found it so bad there yet.....*

Which is why I am pancakes about the wood all over the shards, I have chopped my way all over Origin, Napa, Sonoma, Catskills, Baja, Oceania (give me time to get my 2 ljs on siege up there ) just to name a few up and down the facits all over the bloody shards..... If there is a frostwood tree out there I sure the hadies cant find it. Bloodwood is few and far between, heartwood is more there in Termur then fel or tram.
T2A, TerMur Tokuno Fel Tram Malas...ugh!!!! Napa my LJ box has enough 60k stacks of plain wood to choke a horse! If not for my stumps id be barren of anything above heartwood!

If the Dev does anything... for the player I want this. The trees ether get set back to a steady wood type or you upp the number across the facits of high end trees. And I dont mean 1% try a bit higher kiddo's this is not a happy UO paying customer.

I know of the guy you talk of on Napa.... the GM's have poped in and talked to him.... he answers. Hence he is free to go on. *I paged a GM on him myself*

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 21, 2008
lol if this was reality the world would be long since clear cut and strip mined be happy we get a chance to get anything.... Come to think about it perhaps that was the idea, people had mined and logged the world dry so it was time to change it up,

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

They actually tried that back at the beginning of either Alpha or Beta... and yes, the exact thing you mention happened... the world was effectively stripped bare.

Still either UO system (the one prior or the one now) of resource distribution IMO is better than the ones seen in level-based games where higher skill resources are in higher level zones meaning that you can never really play a pure non-combat character and be a gatherer.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
Look if it was like mining where you had 2 upgrade options that stacked no one here would be arguing for a change back. But.... the Dev have ignored our requests, begging and crying for change for years just so farmers could be twarted from stripping the forests dry..... for the most part farming is uneffected but cut back alot due to the ecconomics of the gold cost on the open market has devalued so much that its not ecconomical to farm UO to such a vast degree as was once done. This is not saying there are not farmers...

All the dev need to do is add a few tools that give the Lj's of UO a better chance of getting wood for quests and things we do. First one like the prospecting hammer it ups the wood 1 lvl. ok you go from plain to oak... etc The second tool like the Gar pick comes at a cost of perhaps a Evil Treefellow that attacks you of that wood type your upgrading to. His loot like the Ore Eles, loot would be 25 logs of that treefellows woodtype. IE: bloodwood, Frostwood, etc.. Its not that much different then the ore ways and would make alot of players happy.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Dont mind Tina on Siege mining is not quite like main stream shards.. trust me on this one...
I have had the same val spot next to my tower for 2 years now..and 4 bronze near my villa on Siege P.
I havent found it so bad there yet.....*
Hmmm....

I started a thread on the Siege forum to ask what other miners on Siege have experienced and whether or not it's true that the randomization change doesn't work quite the same there as on other shards. From everything I've experienced so far, I'd say it works pretty much the same as on other shards. I have a box with all types of ore and stone mined almost entirely from around my house. For any given location that gives an ore type other than just iron, the ore type changes after I mine that location on four or five rounds. Same with two trees near the house. Sometimes they only give plain wood. Sometimes they also give ash. Sometimes they also give oak. And once in a blue moon, I get heartwood. The same is true of other areas where I lumberjack (mostly in Fel). If I find a heartwood tree, it doesn't stay heartwood forever. Pretty soon it's giving oak or something else.

Do you actually mine that valorite spot and the bronze spots on Siege more often than once a year? I have rune books for a couple of shards like Oceania and Origin that I marked after the randomization change occurred four years ago, and I've found that spots in Malas where rarely anyone else ever bothers to mine are still giving the same type of ore nine months or even a year later. (When I find a location for an ore I want, such as shadow iron, valorite, or verite, I mark the rune with the date and the type of ore. That way when I mine the older locations I know to expect that many of the older locations have probably changed type. However, sometimes I go for many months without playing on particular shards.) If you've only gone out once in a blue moon since the randomization change and hit those spots, I'd believe they could have stayed the same ore all this time. That wouldn't surprise me a bit. But to say that everywhere on Siege, the randomization rules are working differently....I dunno about that. I'd really like some sort of clarification instead of you implying that I'm lying about the situation there.

5% Luck

Shh we are not supposed to complain about the idiotic change of making us have to hunt for mining spots and wood. I swear it was one of the largest blunder head moves.. the only people able to do it are the ones who are cheating and mass lj and mining via bot program. I can take you to a place on Napa where the same guy has been mining non stop in the same area for well over 2 weeks... nonstop. I get bloodwood more often than any of the other special woods. I have not found a single Valorite spot.. and I have been looking... strip run mining.... CHANGE IT BACK DEVS THIS WAY SUCKS WE CANT DO OUR BODS
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am fight an urge to set a bot to quote this repeatedly until I get banned

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 2, 2008
LS
There needs to be an elemental champ spawn added to the randomized fel and ilsh locations. Rare Ore and Rarewood Treefolk spawn levels. Slaying the champ has small count spread of mine and jacked gems. Gold doesn't spew all over after the champs death but instead wood and ore in raw form.

Long overdue is the dull copper eli having 25 ore instead of 2. There is nothing on the dull copper BODs reward list of power.

There is nothing wrong with the current system. If they go back to the old system. They just need to give a location list of the higher end ores and woods to the GMs. Policing is something I preached for many years. Besides ore and wood. The library, museum and queens soulforge have all been the perfect rat trap for the rats. One the far corners on the Despise lizardmen area have there own rats.

With the prospector and goyle pick there are at least 4 val locations per lap in the lizardmen Ilsh village tunnel. It is the tunnel that leads to and Ancient Wyrm spawn area. Niter spawns there also.

As far as rarewood the stumps give what is needed. For turn in at the museum I can see the issue for those playing catch up. I would complain but IDOCed scripter houses overly supplied most players needs of those rewards. A rented vendor spot gave me a good spread of the rewards and 37mil after I think they got the ban.

In a perfect world rare ore and rare wood would of only come off spawn from mining and jacking from the start. And the higher the rarespawn the better the fight.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2003
Eastern USA
What "they" need to do is finish the change they started when this was implemented. The original plan(as I remember it) was to randomize the ore and wood locations and then make it so dangerous areas were more likely to produce the high end materials. This way bots would not have the advantage. Instead those who had escorts would be able to mine while being protected and get the materials they needed.

What we are left with is yet another legacy from a forgotten producer and unfinished code from fired developers.

Rinse, repeat...UO

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
Yup, and I have found a place where all the different woods spawn

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
Hmmm....

I started a thread on the Siege forum to ask what other miners on Siege have experienced and whether or not it's true that the randomization change doesn't work quite the same there as on other shards. From everything I've experienced so far, I'd say it works pretty much the same as on other shards. I have a box with all types of ore and stone mined almost entirely from around my house. For any given location that gives an ore type other than just iron, the ore type changes after I mine that location on four or five rounds. Same with two trees near the house. Sometimes they only give plain wood. Sometimes they also give ash. Sometimes they also give oak. And once in a blue moon, I get heartwood. The same is true of other areas where I lumberjack (mostly in Fel). If I find a heartwood tree, it doesn't stay heartwood forever. Pretty soon it's giving oak or something else.

Do you actually mine that valorite spot and the bronze spots on Siege more often than once a year? I have rune books for a couple of shards like Oceania and Origin that I marked after the randomization change occurred four years ago, and I've found that spots in Malas where rarely anyone else ever bothers to mine are still giving the same type of ore nine months or even a year later. (When I find a location for an ore I want, such as shadow iron, valorite, or verite, I mark the rune with the date and the type of ore. That way when I mine the older locations I know to expect that many of the older locations have probably changed type. However, sometimes I go for many months without playing on particular shards.) If you've only gone out once in a blue moon since the randomization change and hit those spots, I'd believe they could have stayed the same ore all this time. That wouldn't surprise me a bit. But to say that everywhere on Siege, the randomization rules are working differently....I dunno about that. I'd really like some sort of clarification instead of you implying that I'm lying about the situation there.
First off I never implyed you were fibbing, infact I said Dont mind Tina (as you just returned back to playing UO and Siege you are sorta new, Btw welcome back to playing). I on the other hand along with my son and nephew opened Siege on day one of the shard. Exchange (X) is a very old guild on Siege, and I am the owner of all the active characters in that guild.
On Siege it seems some ore spots stay the same for a longer period of time, I have only had 5 spots not change ... the val one and the 4 bronze. Not sure why I just assumed they put a different shift on the ore ...slower change because of population density and the fact Siege is not the same as other shards both in coding and in style of mechanics.
I too have mined on Origin and Oceania and have spots on Oceania in my books that still give the same ore... not sure why though I have heard that its due that the spots have a certin duration of ore then the change. I am not sure if this is the case on Siege... perhaps I have not mined the spots enough to warrent a change or the ore lvl has switched but has returned to val when I was not mining... lets put it this way my neighborhood on Siege is pretty sparce of players! I have not seen any miners near my homes so its not a fact others are mining things out. Tina if I offended you I am sorry. The situation on Siege for players has been so bad over the years... What you see now is not how the shard has been for years... on the contrary we have had large groups from other shards "invade" take over the pking and pvping run rampant and litterly keep players in their homes in fear of stepping out the door. I for one watched them drive off players by complete and utter dogging of their preys play. 99% of them are gone now, I hope. Siege was a good shard for players to test if they could make a life in hardship.. RP and lawlessness was the norm, we had our reds who were around any bend but you knew they were not totaly heartless and dry loot. They really wanted you to come back and do it again! It was a challenge!

Now on this wood bit.... I am sick and tired of running all over creation looking for a tree to give me a few boards of a type I need. For those of you who dont mind the randomization thats all well and good but some of us want to play the game a bit more indepth rather then hunt for days to get 11 bloodwood (as an example) off one tree and find its poofed the next time the tree refreshes! The farmers are moot at this juncture of the game Dev...

S

Sevin0oo0

I got lucky a couple wks ago, had a frostwood tree about 10 tiles from Skara bank, was blue for almost a week, til it gave out its last log, (well over 1k boards later) milked it dry over and over - so that 'rotating resource' thing... just another FAIL

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
Mesanna said sort of recently she and the team want to remove random from mining and lumberjacking. I haven't had to lumberjack for a long time, since I got myself one of those vet rewards that gives logs. I still mine though to fill powder BODs, and to get niter. Otherwise almost all the armor I make is barbed, and imbued, hehe.

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Well stop wanting to and do it already. The Randomness in mining is idiotic at best. I will say I finally got my first Valorite spot.. and got 4 ingots out of it... 105 mining.. and only got 2 ore.... yay me lol. I wish the devs would play and come talk to all shards not just one... maybe then we would get new ems on napa lol... after they see them hanging with the greifers

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Oh and before the fanbois start again. Let me point out... in the BOD system.. mining is the only one you have to hunt for days to get the needed supplies... Tailoring you know where to get what leather. Carpentry quests only use regular wood... Stop punishing the black smiths.. hell our armor is the least desired in game... even when imbued. Everyone wants leather... the only use is to fill bods.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
On Siege, I've found two bloodwood trees in the last 24 hours or so and got 352 bloodwood boards out of them before they changed. Also found three heartwood trees in the same amount of time and they're all still spawning heartwood.

I dunno. I like things the way they are. I know if those trees were permanently bloodwood or heartwood, there's no way my miner/LJ on Siege would ever get to access those trees and get those types of woods. They'd be camped by someone else and my char would be PKd for even coming close to them.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 27, 2004
I like the randomness, but think the chance for the rare woods and ores should be increased.

Edit: and I think something similar to the gargoyle pickaxes would be good for lumberjacking.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
I like the randomness, but think the chance for the rare woods and ores should be increased.

Edit: and I think something similar to the gargoyle pickaxes would be good for lumberjacking.
Agreed. Would be nice to be able to somehow obtain something like the prospector's tool and the gargoyle picks.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 24, 2011
Atlantic
Original poster here.

For the last four days I have had one tree giving frostwood @ 450 boards per spawn. I hit this tree four or five times per day and each time it gives 450 Frostwood. Now, This is great and all, but it doesn't seem random to me in the least. Where in the hell is the bloodwood?

This RNG stinks. Maybe if they rotated the lumber types more regularly I could hit bloodwood once in a blue moon.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
It would be cool if UO had a resource tracker. Like in Star Wars Galaxies you could search an area for a mineral or substance, then mine in a saturated area. Don't know if it would be possible for UO to index all the nodes in a gump or not, but would be neat. And if it just made a graphical map then maybe it would be something only non-scripters would benefit from.

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
The Devs are not going to please everyone but this system has the vast majority pissed off cause it doesnt work as intended. It does not stop the bot miners.. and the bot miners and LJs are the only ones cleaning up. We dont have endless hours ontop of hours to sit and chop trees and mine... they were stupid to think it would benefit us. The only solution I see to be able to continue doing bods is for me to join the ranks of the botters... and I would quit uo before I do that. Remember Devs when you **** off the majority of your players.. they tend to leave... EA learned that with AOS and SE.... Even WOW's system of having to run around and find ore nodes sticking out of the ground is better.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

All switching it back to the static system will do is give the scriptors free reign on whatever resource they want... making the end effects of scripting WORSE.

Look, you're NOT going to end scripting resource gathering (outside of actual GM policing) without using and even WORSE system than anything tried so far.

Aside from any attempt to slow down scripting, the STATED purpose of the resource nodes randomizing was to make rare resources rare again. A static resource spawn system REGARDLESS of what the percentage chances are to be seeded with a particular resource makes the concept of rarity moot completely due to the ability to locate the spot, waypoint it in UOCarto or the EC Atlas, mark it, then recall to it endlessly.

So you can't mine 10,000 Valorite ingots at the drop of a hat cycling through your Val Runebook... that's the whole point! Rare resources have been made rare(r) again.

As for scripting itself, NO argument put forward about scripting in this thread would be solved by returning to the previous static system. It's a red herring argument. Yes they have effectively unlimited time to harvest, but they had the same unlimited time during the static system as well.

So what other method could they retain the effective rarity they are wanting AND go after scriptors at the same time? Artificial hard caps of how much of what resource you can gather in a given time frame? Sorry, but no thanks. Even if it added the amount of high end resources a player could gather by a factor of 10 compared to the current system, I'd HATE that kind of system because it's completely artificial and arbitrary. Yeah, mountains and trees that respawn endless amounts of resources and then CHANGE that resource aren't exactly realistic, but there is a level of suspension of disbelief that can be taken into account for the sake of playability.

Loosen the wood distribution and add in the appropriate prospector's tools for lumberjackers and then see how that works under the current system.

5% Luck

All switching it back to the static system will do is give the scriptors free reign on whatever resource they want... making the end effects of scripting WORSE.

Look, you're NOT going to end scripting resource gathering (outside of actual GM policing) without using and even WORSE system than anything tried so far.

Aside from any attempt to slow down scripting, the STATED purpose of the resource nodes randomizing was to make rare resources rare again. A static resource spawn system REGARDLESS of what the percentage chances are to be seeded with a particular resource makes the concept of rarity moot completely due to the ability to locate the spot, waypoint it in UOCarto or the EC Atlas, mark it, then recall to it endlessly.

So you can't mine 10,000 Valorite ingots at the drop of a hat cycling through your Val Runebook... that's the whole point! Rare resources have been made rare(r) again.

As for scripting itself, NO argument put forward about scripting in this thread would be solved by returning to the previous static system. It's a red herring argument. Yes they have effectively unlimited time to harvest, but they had the same unlimited time during the static system as well.

So what other method could they retain the effective rarity they are wanting AND go after scriptors at the same time? Artificial hard caps of how much of what resource you can gather in a given time frame? Sorry, but no thanks. Even if it added the amount of high end resources a player could gather by a factor of 10 compared to the current system, I'd HATE that kind of system because it's completely artificial and arbitrary. Yeah, mountains and trees that respawn endless amounts of resources and then CHANGE that resource aren't exactly realistic, but there is a level of suspension of disbelief that can be taken into account for the sake of playability.

Loosen the wood distribution and add in the appropriate prospector's tools for lumberjackers and then see how that works under the current system.
I am going to make this point to you once.....

It is NOT the valorite that I would endlessly mine. It is the dull copper!

The REAL issue is not rare resources It is the damm donations! If they didnt have such a better point count for frost and valorite We wouldn't be in this stinking mess! Except for the britan library Valorite is the LEAST sought after Ingot IN GAME! The ONLY other use for it is for crafting ML recipes to unravel! Thats right to make items that you will DESTROY!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

Get Prospector's Tools.

You'll get more Dull Copper than you'll ever need that way. I have almost 300k Dull Copper stashed away now just due to using prospector's tools while strip mining with my beetle, all unscripted and that's not counting the 12-13k large ore stashed away from ore carts that hasn't even been touched.

The lumberjacks have an argument with the current system, miners really don;t if they know what they are doing.

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Again the point is its only hurting those of us who are honorable.. so why stay honorable. I sit and report the same botter over nad over.. and he is always there. I sit and listen to the same 4 fanbois over and over defending this stupid way to handle lj and mining.. so if they are going to keep it then make all resources extreeme random.. I know where to go harvest Barbed leather non stop... as well as horned... and etc... there is no difference. No one was making sip off the metals cause Metal armor is worthless especially now.... Everyone wants Barbed Leather with all 70 and lrc... CHANGE IT BACK it makes no sense to keep it this way... who cares if they endlessly mine that way they are doing it this way.. and they would have to find all the nodes... Miners like me kept their personal library hidden... I only mined what I needed for BODS...

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Hmm ok so you have endless hours upon hours to mine and chop wood not all of us do. This system is hurting us miners.. been mining since I returned to game well over 6 months ago... Just hit one Val node... tell me how is that not hurting the miners? I know I am not alone.. the wood and mining needs to go back to the way it was.. its BOTCHED this way. Yes and give the LJ's a tool to bump up like the prospectors tool... like given away for crafter quests

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 10, 2008
Every Agapite spot and every Verite spot, is effectivly a Valorite spot. As long as you carry a Prospectors tool, and a Garg Pickaxe, you can bump the spots to Valorite. Please do not tell me you have yet to come across any Verite or Aggy spots.

Lumberjacks have it far worse off, than miners. About the only thing Lumberjacks have over miners is that one swing, yields 10 wood (or 20), instead of 2 ingots (or 4 at best).

5% Luck

Get Prospector's Tools.

You'll get more Dull Copper than you'll ever need that way. I have almost 300k Dull Copper stashed away now just due to using prospector's tools while strip mining with my beetle, all unscripted and that's not counting the 12-13k large ore stashed away from ore carts that hasn't even been touched.

The lumberjacks have an argument with the current system, miners really don;t if they know what they are doing.
Yea Ive heard that before Is that why i have 300 dull copper bods and only like 30 valorite bods and 1500 valorite ingots and hrmm... 6 dull copper ingots.

Yea I prospect and yea I skip veins and yea I know and have memorized the 8x8 grids for the cave I mine so you can just tell me all about the damm prospectors tool

I will admit that the Ljs do have it worse in that department. I mean the uses for frost wood are nill to none but the blood wood heart wood and yew all have useful and meaningful roles and they are kind of rare. But the rarity is compensated but the usage.

Just say an average dull copper bod requires 400 ingots. I have 300 dull copper bods. To fill my needs I would need to harvest 120,000 dull copper ingots. To make a heartwood post imbued suit including fails I might need 1000 boards!

Thats what I mean by usage vs rarity. If you take away the donation factors(which have slid down into near uselessness anyhow) Valorite is the highest spawning ingot compared to usage!