• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Did you loot my ship ? Can I buy my fish back please ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ship I use for my fishing, the Berenguine, was looted of my entire stock of deep sea fish West of Jhelom and even moved by the looter near the Jhelom shore.

Now, I do not script. I hate scripting.

If I scripted I would not care less. I would just set a fishing script to go on for a few days and I'd build my stock of fish back up with no pain.

But I do not script and I hate scripting and scripters. I hate all cheating infact, especially in games.

So, that fish stock you took, besides the rest looted in the hold, all the commodity deeds filled of hundreds upon hundreds of fish was the result of MY work over weeks upon weeks, several hours a day, for more than a month of MANUAL fishing at the keyboard and repeating the same task over and over for hours and hours per day, and week after week, for well over a month.

I feel SICK thinking to have to go through all of that manual fishing again, and I do NOT want to script fishing to make my stock of fish back up.

So, I wonder, would you be so kind to at least sell me back MY stock of fish which you looted, for a reasonable amount of gold, and allow me to keep playing ??

If so, please PM me. If not, I guess I am done with fishing as I just do not feel going through all that manual fishing again. Too many hours of manual work which I cannot afford to go through again.

If anyone is wondering, I had a stock of several hundreds fish per each type all in commodity deeds. In commodity deeds since the Hold would not hold them given the high number and weight. I cannot remember the exact figures for each type but of some types, I had well over 500 of each and I think if I remember correctly, perhaps even close to 700.

That is THOUSANDS of deep sea fish to fish back up, MANUALLY and not scripting. No way I am going to do it again.

This looting happened either today or yesterday because 2 days ago I refreshed my ship and the bag with all of the commodity deeds filled up was still there.

Let me know, thanks.

R

Rodan/Linu

Was the security settings wrong or was this a bug? How did this happen?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Boat settings are not easy to understand, and popps is not the only player to have misunderstood it.
If anyone here knows who helped themselves to his stock, I think it would be a kindness to help him negotiate a ransom for the items.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll add a couple million to the ransom if one is ever negotiated.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Boat settings are not easy to understand, and popps is not the only player to have misunderstood it.
If anyone here knows who helped themselves to his stock, I think it would be a kindness to help him negotiate a ransom for the items.
I'll add a couple million to the ransom if one is ever negotiated.

Thanks for the nice words. I was hoping that I had been hit by a roleplaying "Pirate" who, being a gentleman Pirate, and Pirates have no use for fish, this is well known..... might have roleplayed such a character to return my Fish stock for a reasonable ransom.

But so far, no news nor any Personal Messages leading me to be able to discuss it.

I keep waiting in hope, who knows.........

BahamaMama

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll add a couple mil to the ransom as well. Just holler.

Good luck, popps, I hope the pirate will grow tired of the smell and want to return them post haste!

- Saf

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ship I use for my fishing, the Berenguine, was looted of my entire stock of deep sea fish West of Jhelom and even moved by the looter near the Jhelom shore.

Now, I do not script. I hate scripting.

If I scripted I would not care less. I would just set a fishing script to go on for a few days and I'd build my stock of fish back up with no pain.

But I do not script and I hate scripting and scripters. I hate all cheating infact, especially in games.

So, that fish stock you took, besides the rest looted in the hold, all the commodity deeds filled of hundreds upon hundreds of fish was the result of MY work over weeks upon weeks, several hours a day, for more than a month of MANUAL fishing at the keyboard and repeating the same task over and over for hours and hours per day, and week after week, for well over a month.

I feel SICK thinking to have to go through all of that manual fishing again, and I do NOT want to script fishing to make my stock of fish back up.

So, I wonder, would you be so kind to at least sell me back MY stock of fish which you looted, for a reasonable amount of gold, and allow me to keep playing ??

If so, please PM me. If not, I guess I am done with fishing as I just do not feel going through all that manual fishing again. Too many hours of manual work which I cannot afford to go through again.

If anyone is wondering, I had a stock of several hundreds fish per each type all in commodity deeds. In commodity deeds since the Hold would not hold them given the high number and weight. I cannot remember the exact figures for each type but of some types, I had well over 500 of each and I think if I remember correctly, perhaps even close to 700.

That is THOUSANDS of deep sea fish to fish back up, MANUALLY and not scripting. No way I am going to do it again.

This looting happened either today or yesterday because 2 days ago I refreshed my ship and the bag with all of the commodity deeds filled up was still there.

Let me know, thanks.
You'll be okay Popps. It is always hard to lose something that we work very hard for, and it hurts even worse when our own mistakes our involved.

Looking back at all of the times I have been burned over the years, I would certainly trade in a few of my scenarios for your lost fish scenario if I had the chance.

Get back out there, fish up more. Let the coward who looted yout boat keep the petty spoils, because chances are he will never hold that many fish again, or very many friends either.

It could be argued that getting screwed by others is a part of this game, regardless of that, if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Boy ain't that the truth.. One of the reasons I felt so bad for popps is because I've been there too many times..

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure of the value of these fish, but I will kick in 10 mil towards recovery of Popp's fish. If they are not returned Popp, I will kick that 10 mil to you to soften a bit of the sting at least.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously, whatever anyone will pay to get Popps his fish back, I'll pay more to keep them for myself. Holler at me. I'm rich pancake!

P

PitrGri

Sorry for your loss... Popps.

You can have some of my fish that I have been collecting over the years... *mostly from Flame* but many other emmys also helped...

Cheers
Pitr.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure of the value of these fish, but I will kick in 10 mil towards recovery of Popp's fish. If they are not returned Popp, I will kick that 10 mil to you to soften a bit of the sting at least.
Sorry for your loss... Popps.

You can have some of my fish that I have been collecting over the years... *mostly from Flame* but many other emmys also helped...

Cheers
Pitr.
Thanks again for the kind help, unfortunately, I still have not been contacted by whomever took all of my fish so, as of now, I am still unable to even start discussing the possibility of a ransom.

I was hoping that even if they might not be posters on Stratics, at least some among their friends might post on Stratics and get in touch with me on their behalf at least to arrange an in-game meeting to discuss it. I mean, looting that large quantity of fish is hardly something that can go unnoticed, and I would guess that whomever did it might have mentioned it with at least some of their friends, guildmates or whatever.

But so far, as I said, I still have not been contacted by anyone to be able to start discussing a way to get the fish come back home.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was also hoping that someone would like to ransom the poor little lost fishes and allow them to return home. Let me know when and if someone gets in touch with you Popps, or if I am do something to help ease the sting of the loss.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I wish I could find a ship with a hold full of free fishies...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was also hoping that someone would like to ransom the poor little lost fishes and allow them to return home. Let me know when and if someone gets in touch with you Popps, or if I am do something to help ease the sting of the loss.

Just an update. Still noone has stepped forward to contact me about the lost fish.

I must assume that neither whomever boarded my ship nor their friends read Stratics or, they have no interest in contacting me about them.

I guess at this point, having quite sometime gone by without being contacted, I must assume the fish as lost for good.........

I will survive the loss, just a sad occurrance that my fishing questing is gone for a good while now, since I simply lack the time at this moment of my life to go back to manual fishing again (I use no scripting...) to rebuild my stock back up.
That's really unfortunate as I really wanted to try out the new upcoming changes to fishing quests rewards and instead, I will not be able to.

So much time gone into building up that large stock just wasted all for nothing..........

Thanks to all who kindly offered their help.

B

Blackthorn

Just tossing this idea out there. I can promise nothing. But, would Catskills be interested in a "Popps fish-a-thon" benefit?

We could gather a bunch of people, for an hour or more? All fish caught within that hour could be turned over to Popps to help re-build his supply. If ten people helped, that would be ten times the amount of fish he could rake in during one hour. If 20 then that would be 20 times the amount of fish he could rake in during one hour. The more the better.

What do you guys think? Just tossing out the idea. Is an hour long enough to make a dent in his missing stash? Or should it be longer? Could even turn it into a contest, person who turns in the most fish would win gold or something? A reward might inspire more to help.

I don't have a fisher yet, but I could start building one, and by this Saturday or Sunday I may be able to have him ready to help.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just tossing this idea out there. I can promise nothing. But, would Catskills be interested in a "Popps fish-a-thon" benefit?

We could gather a bunch of people, for an hour or more? All fish caught within that hour could be turned over to Popps to help re-build his supply. If ten people helped, that would be ten times the amount of fish he could rake in during one hour. If 20 then that would be 20 times the amount of fish he could rake in during one hour. The more the better.

What do you guys think? Just tossing out the idea. Is an hour long enough to make a dent in his missing stash? Or should it be longer? Could even turn it into a contest, person who turns in the most fish would win gold or something? A reward might inspire more to help.

I don't have a fisher yet, but I could start building one, and by this Saturday or Sunday I may be able to have him ready to help.

Thanks a lot for the nice proposal, really appreciate the will to help.

Was it not that I simply no longer have the time to fish and rebuild my stock back up (RL changes...), I would not try to get my fish back, I'd just go back and work the stock again.

Unfortunately, that's a luxury of time I no longer can afford........

I am surprised though, that whomever looted my fish stock still has not showed up, and neither have any of their friends. Catskills in not as populated as Atlantic and one way or the other, everyone knows someone else on the shard so I guess by now the word was to be out there that I was trying to buy my fish stock back........

Besides, I do not think that whomever looted my fish stock is a fisherman. Fishermen know how time consuming fishing is and I simply cannot believe that a fisherman would ever do such a thing to another fisherman. All I know is that personally, as a fisherman, I would not deprive another fisherman of their hard earned fish stock because I well know what they went through to build it up.......

Therefore, is my assumption, whomever looted my fish stock probably did it to sell them but then, why not sell them back to me for a reasonable ransom ??

MareJadeSky

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would think that it wasnt a adult ether is sound like someone in there teens, that would do something like that.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Therefore, is my assumption, whomever looted my fish stock probably did it to sell them but then, why not sell them back to me for a reasonable ransom ??
People don't like you :(
It's ok lots don't like me either. :stir:

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or they used them for the quest turnins, cooking, etc. already? If they went through the trouble to loot them, they had a purpose in mind for them before you ever posted loosing them.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People don't like you :(
It's ok lots don't like me either. :stir:

I think it is human to like or dislike someone else, I can hardly think of anyone who might be just all loved by others or all hated by others. I think it as a normal thing of life.

This said, I can dislike someone and still have respect towards them.....
I would not be spitefull to someone just because I do not like them. I would argue their ways and behaviour and voice my dissent and different view, that probably yes, but being spitefull ? Not at all, I do not see it as the proper behaviour.

Meaning, that even if I disliked someone for whatever reason, if I had the chance, I would not, for example, take their fish stock away well knowing what it meant to them to build it up (especially if it was all fished up manually, not scripted...). I would discuss with them and disagree with them as much as possible, but being spitefull ? No way.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or they used them for the quest turnins, cooking, etc. already? If they went through the trouble to loot them, they had a purpose in mind for them before you ever posted loosing them.

Well, I posted either the same day I was looted or the day after.
I am positive, because I had refreshed my ship 3 days earlier and as I always do, checked my hold and all was there.

I find it hard that all that stock might have gone in 1 or 2 days of questing especially, since it was deep sea fish only and quests require also crabs, lobsters and dungeon fish, not to mention shallow fish, to complete.

So, in order to burn all that large stock of deep sea fish, the person should have already had a large stock of crabs, lobsters, dungeon and shallow sea fish so as to be able to complete the quests and keep going.

So, in short, no, I do not think my fish stock was gone by my time of posting and even for several days after that.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This morning I came across a suspicious man at the floating dock. He was selling things out of his trench coat. I soon noticed a gentleman walk away carrying a fish. I advanced in an attempt to question the merchant but he quickly jumped in his boat and sailed off before I could reach him. His ship had a black flag with a skull on it....

Thats right...

Pirates.

Before he jumped on his boat, these fell out of his pockets.

Are they yours?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This morning I came across a suspicious man at the floating dock. He was selling things out of his trench coat. I soon noticed a gentleman walk away carrying a fish. I advanced in an attempt to question the merchant but he quickly jumped in his boat and sailed off before I could reach him. His ship had a black flag with a skull on it....

Thats right...

Pirates.

Before he jumped on his boat, these fell out of his pockets.

Are they yours?

Hmmmm.....

Hard to say, they "look" like the fish I had in my now gone stock but who can say whether they actually come from my stock or they were fished up by the pirate in a moment of pause of a pirate's busy life ?

I wished I had marked all of my fish with an exclusive tag, so I could spot mine right away.....

O

OrianaGRI

Popps, if you want to contact me, I will gladly let you have a supply of fish, free of charge. I realize these are not *your* fish, but I do have some and am happy to share them with you.

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
honestly, this is really getting out of hand,

"OH NO, SOMEONE LOOTED MY FISH THROUGH COMPLETELY LEGAL GAME MECHANICS, NOW PEOPLE NEED TO FEEL SORRY FOR ME BECAUSE I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE MY OWN BOAT'S PRIVACY SETTINGS"

I'm sorry, but this is extremely stupid... It's not like your account was hacked, or someone did something illegal to obtain items that shouldn't otherwise have been obtained.

You messed up and didn't set your boat security correctly, so someone looted your junk. It happens every day. Sometimes people forget to set a chest in their house to owners, someone randomly walks in the public house, and opens the chest. Low and behold, the chest is emptied..

You are making such a fuss over nothing. You are making it seem like the person that randomly happened upon your unlocked boat is some sort of cheater, or very bad person. In all honestly, they are just playing the game how it was intended to be played, and you got caught with your pants down..

No sympathy...

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least you know who done it, now.
So it seems you have done some detective work and figured out who did it huh? I would like to know please... as well as the logic that brought you to your conclusion.

I also had something similar happen involving a Keep which I owned for years which a friend of mine (and former GM) was using. We decided to part paths but the Keep was never returned and instead she had given it away to someone else out of spite.

I felt I had a valid complaint but I knew that I had a very small chance of retrieving my property. This particular one hurt a little more because the Keep was next door to my home and borrowed to a once trusted friend.

Nevertheless we move on and keep building.... and perhaps crack a few jokes along the way.

silmwarensurion

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
honestly, this is really getting out of hand,

"OH NO, SOMEONE LOOTED MY FISH THROUGH COMPLETELY LEGAL GAME MECHANICS, NOW PEOPLE NEED TO FEEL SORRY FOR ME BECAUSE I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE MY OWN BOAT'S PRIVACY SETTINGS"

I'm sorry, but this is extremely stupid... It's not like your account was hacked, or someone did something illegal to obtain items that shouldn't otherwise have been obtained.

You messed up and didn't set your boat security correctly, so someone looted your junk. It happens every day. Sometimes people forget to set a chest in their house to owners, someone randomly walks in the public house, and opens the chest. Low and behold, the chest is emptied..

You are making such a fuss over nothing. You are making it seem like the person that randomly happened upon your unlocked boat is some sort of cheater, or very bad person. In all honestly, they are just playing the game how it was intended to be played, and you got caught with your pants down..

No sympathy...
I came upon this thread after seeing the title of popps thread. Ya know in a simple unbiased view of popps predictament; Is that quite simply it is not popps fault for misunderstanding ship security. Nor will it ever be. It is just another success of a pathetic virtual thief. Any of popps actions that left him vulnerable is not his fault. I guess ill never understand the actions, or the mindset of players who commit such acts; validate themselves by blaming the victim. For many years most of us have seen item loss scenarios that all devastate players. I have always despised players who openly brag about there deed. There guildmates congratulate them, and in game friends empathize with the one who did the deed with way2go revelery. I have never liked this behavior, or those who openly grief the player with in game actions towards the target. I would never allow myself too partake in these things. I despise the person who did this. I also despise all the players who dont denounce the player for his actions. If any of the people i know commited any of the actions stated in popps post, I would never have anything to with them ever again. I would not care if it turned out too be someone who I had a ltr with. I would tell them they are garbage and nothing but a pos thief. Several weeks ago i Bought something from a player runned website that sells items for rl cash. Somehow a mistake was made on there part, and i ended up with the item without having paid for it. I know that some people would have taken the item and ran off. But I did not do this. I gave the item back until my payment cleared and then accepted the item. Why? Its not a deed of morality. I did it because I see that person as a potential friend. The fact that someone would do this shows the nature of themselves. They are a thief and really dont give a damn about hardship and the feelings of the player. If a friend came up too me and recited a story similiar too this they would be on ignore and have their access to my house removed. I would do it because its not the victims fault, I would do it because the person who did it is a pos and thats what they will always be.

P

PitrGri

I came upon this thread after seeing the title of popps thread. Ya know in a simple unbiased view of popps predictament; Is that quite simply it is not popps fault for misunderstanding ship security. Nor will it ever be. It is just another success of a pathetic virtual thief. Any of popps actions that left him vulnerable is not his fault. I guess ill never understand the actions, or the mindset of players who commit such acts; validate themselves by blaming the victim. For many years most of us have seen item loss scenarios that all devastate players. I have always despised players who openly brag about there deed. There guildmates congratulate them, and in game friends empathize with the one who did the deed with way2go revelery. I have never liked this behavior, or those who openly grief the player with in game actions towards the target. I would never allow myself too partake in these things. I despise the person who did this. I also despise all the players who dont denounce the player for his actions. If any of the people i know commited any of the actions stated in popps post, I would never have anything to with them ever again. I would not care if it turned out too be someone who I had a ltr with. I would tell them they are garbage and nothing but a pos thief. Several weeks ago i Bought something from a player runned website that sells items for rl cash. Somehow a mistake was made on there part, and i ended up with the item without having paid for it. I know that some people would have taken the item and ran off. But I did not do this. I gave the item back until my payment cleared and then accepted the item. Why? Its not a deed of morality. I did it because I see that person as a potential friend. The fact that someone would do this shows the nature of themselves. They are a thief and really dont give a damn about hardship and the feelings of the player. If a friend came up too me and recited a story similiar too this they would be on ignore and have their access to my house removed. I would do it because its not the victims fault, I would do it because the person who did it is a pos and thats what they will always be.

Right on the money... :thumbup1:

Plan... pay no ransom, it would encourage the looter and others... lets fish... get the new rewards and show Popps how much we like to have him on Catskills.

Trés Simple... ne c'est pas?

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Silm, I really don't know who you are, nor do I care... But I must say that you are completely wrong.

Not to mention, Stratics has rules about buying and selling virtual items, and YOU directly break those rules talking about buying something from an online website... But I can tell you are one of those "holier than thou" kind of people who think there is no evil in your own actions, but can point out every stitch of evil in any other person at any given time...

So, I'm gonna break this down special sauce for you..

This whole thing is 100% Popps fault, not a single other person can be blamed.
If he wasn't too sure about how to securely store items on his boat, he shouldn't have been doing it.

This game is designed so that items in houses and boats are COMPLETELY inaccessible to anyone but the owner upon creation of the house or boat. It's when people (like Popps) go messing around with stuff they don't know about, that people (like Popps) mess something up and end up causing a negative reaction to happen. Then said people (like Popps) want to complain and cry about how someone did them wrong, when in all truth, if they would have just left well enough alone, nothing would have happened in the first place..

Now, unless the person that took Popps fish was a friend of his that he accessed to the boat, there is nothing wrong with what went on here.

All in all, what I' m trying to explain to you (not very surprising that someone of "your" caliber doesn't get it) is that, UO was started so that things like this could happen. In the first days of the game, you had to use a key to get in your house... This key could be stolen or looted off your corpse, and when that happened you lost your house... Then people (LIKE YOU) whined and complained, and got things changed. Now they have insurance, security settings, and NO POSSIBLE WAY for anyone to get a single thing of yours if you do not want them to.. So, when someone (like Popps) loses something that could have EASILY been avoided, I feel no remorse for the person, and it annoys the crap out of me when they go out of their way to try to make people feel sorry for them..

Now please, read and re-read what I have just explained to you. When you still don't understand it, come up with another close to incomprehensible grammatical nightmare.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am sorry, but I disagree with this point of view.

Personally, the simple fact that in the game I might be able to board a ship or enter someone's House or have access to a secure does not mean that I can take whatever is in there without the owner's permission. I have it clear in my mind that it is not my stuff, I did not work my time to get it and, therefore, my point of view is that without the legittimate owner's permission I have no right to just walk in and take it.

That's MY point of view, of course........

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks for the kind words, they paint my feelings quite well.

What people seem not understand, is that the problem here for me is not the pixels, I have lost pixels in UO before and recovered over time. Years back I had a tower with my entire belongings, back then it still required opening the door to refresh it to prevent decaying.
It was located in Felucca.

I had problems in my real life and could not play for several months. So I asked a friend to please help refresh my Tower.

Well, he ended up being killed one day with my key on the corpse (no insurrance back then) and the murderers just took everything, Tower included after they let it decay and replaced.......

It was not my fault, I did nothing wrong, only was the receiving end of some ackward game mechanics that put me subject to severe penalty for not being able to play and yet having a house to refresh in order not to loose everything. Eventually something went wrong and the worst happened like it often happens when situations are extremized.

With this fish thing, what annoys me is that I foresaw my lack of time to fish because of changes in my real life, so, I anticipated it and when I still had the time I fished intensively.
For wekk upon week, well over a month all I did was fishing. Manually, mind you, since I despise scripting. This took me intensive time of my life, practically all the time I could spend in the game, to fish.

I worked, I worked hard for my fish stock.

Now that my real life does not allow me to fish for lack of time to play much, I was counting on that stock. Having been taken it, by someone who happened to be able to walk onto my ship, how is irrelevant, I was not just deprived of my entire stock of fish, but of the ability to keep playing fishing quests as I simply do not have the time any more to build a stock of fish again.

So, whomever looted me stopped my ability to keep playing something which I wanted to, the fishing quests.

Personally, that I might be allowed to access anyone's ship, home or secure in the game does not automatically make me feel that I can take whatever is in them without the owner's permission. But that's just me and how I feel about others' belongings.........

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps has fish. No ransom is needed.

Thanks Oriana for the support, the 50 deep sea fish help even when not the 500-700 per type I lost with my looted stock, will at least be something to start moving on again until I can have more time to go back to fish.

If possible, though, I would still like to buy my stock back from whomever looted it so that I will be able to return to you the kind help you offered me....

Besides, the fish was not the only thing I was looted of. Even if I was to be returned my fish stock, the looter would still keep the items looted from my Hold AND the gold we would arrange for the ransom......

Thanks again for the kindness Oriana.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This whole thing is 100% Popps fault, not a single other person can be blamed.
If he wasn't too sure about how to securely store items on his boat, he shouldn't have been doing it.

This game is designed so that items in houses and boats are COMPLETELY inaccessible to anyone but the owner upon creation of the house or boat. It's when people (like Popps) go messing around with stuff they don't know about, that people (like Popps) mess something up and end up causing a negative reaction to happen. Then said people (like Popps) want to complain and cry about how someone did them wrong, when in all truth, if they would have just left well enough alone, nothing would have happened in the first place..

I am not the only one who pointed out that Ship security is ackward and probably going backwards.

When I set up my ship security, from reading posts and guides I got the impression that the way to go was giving Public access to OFFICER and name whatever character I wanted besides the owner to have access to the ship, an OFFICER of that ship.

My understanding was, that since ONLY ME, as the owner of the ship, could name a character as officer of MY ship, if I set up the security to OFFICER, I would be safe noone else could board and access it.

Why ?

Because they were NOT OFFICERS of my ship. And why were they not officers of my ship ? Because I NEVER made them Captains or whatever of MY ship.

So, setting Public to OFFICER, and knowing that only me, as the owner of MY ship could entitle anyone officer of MY ship, made me feel safe that only me could let anyone on my ship and before that was to happen, I HAD TO name them an officer to my ship.

If I was wrong, it was because the security options were confusing as many have stated besides me. Besides, this also happened because fish weight too much in comparison to how much they are needed for fishing quests and the limited capacity of the Hold.
This forced me to have 2 ships, one for quests and another for fishing and to force me to have, since another rule only allows 1 ship per character (go figure why....), to have to mess up with security options to allow a character not the owner of the ship to access that other ship in order to be able to fish from it and store the fish.

Bottom line is, that game mechanics and confusing security settings led me to all this.

If I could do all my fishing and questing with 1 ship, I would have NEVER needed to use a second ship, I would have just had all settings on DENY ACCESS and this would have never happened.

But in order for this to be possible, either the fish would have needed to weight much less, or the Hold be capable to hold way more fish/items, or characters be able to own more than 1 ship as it was possible before.

So, when someone (like Popps) loses something that could have EASILY been avoided, I feel no remorse for the person, and it annoys the crap out of me when they go out of their way to try to make people feel sorry for them..
As I said, even if I have the chance, how it is irrelevant, to access in the game anyone's ship, house or secure, I personally do not think this gives me ANY right to help myself with THEIR belongings. They worked for them, it is THEIR stuff and I do not think I have a right to help myself with THEIR stuff. And when this happens to others, I DO feel sorry because this is NOT the way things should go, to my opinion, that is.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, here's my 2 cents worth.

Popps didn't fully understand boat security, left things unsecured and lost some fish. Sucks that that happened, but it did.

Popps made a plea to ask for his fish back and offered to pay a ransom. Worth a shot. A smart thief (unless he already had plans for the fish) would take the easy money and cash in on the ransom. So far he hasn't. Oh well.

Is the thief a piece of garbage for doing what he did? Maybe, maybe not. Not a very nice guy, but then again consider his profession. The thief was perfectly legal (from the game mechanics standpoint) in what he did. Popps' fault for allowing access, but the menu's are confusing. Whatever the reason, what's done is done. Live and learn, move on, all that good stuff.

Does anyone here deserve sympathy? Maybe, if you want to feel sorry for Popps, go ahead. That's your choice, but not everyone may share that view. And that's fine too, that's their choice. You may not like the opposing point of view, but that does not make it wrong.

Some people offered to donate fish or gold towards the ransom. Good for you, you're a better person that I am in that respect.

The moral of this post:
We already have a thread dedicated to ship security. I linked to it near the top of this thread, so lets not re-hash it all here. We're also not going to cut down and vilify anyone who disagrees with our particular view on whats right or wrong. Nobody here is running the show. You have your opinion, but you're not in charge of the game, so you don't get to make the rules. Either learn to deal with that or close your accounts.

Now, Interested in my personal view on the subject? (if not, stop reading.)
Popps made a stupid mistake and someone made off with his loot. I don't feel sorry for him and I don't have to.

I don't think the thief is a horrible piece of garbage. He saw an opportunity and took it. I'd do (and have done in the past) the exact same thing.

Stealing is not griefing. It may cause you some distress and anguish, but it's part of the game and part of life. Better learn to deal with it now.

Some people would say I'm totally wrong and a horrible person for feeling the way I do. Well, good for you, but I'm still entitled to my opinion and so are you. But I'm not going to run you (or anyone else) into the ground because we don't agree. And you (or anyone else) isn't going to do it either. Why? Because it's wrong and it positions one party up high enough where they're looking down their nose at the other.

We're also not going to continue bashing each other and preaching about whats right and wrong because that's technically a personal attack and those lead to infractions. Now, go play nice together.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, here's my 2 cents worth.

Fair enough, thanks for posting.
The world is varied and we cannot pretend to all have same opinions on the same one issues.

I still have hopes that either whomever looted my fish sees my post or that any of their friends does, and I still got a change to see MY fish come back home through paying of a ransom... So far it has not happened but one never knows, it may happen today or tomorrow...

After all, they took other items from the hold plus the ransom and all that quite easily. Letting my fish come back home would not hurt them much in what they took from me overall........

O

OrianaGRI

Is the thief a piece of garbage for doing what he did? Maybe, maybe not. Not a very nice guy, but then again consider his profession. The thief was perfectly legal (from the game mechanics standpoint) in what he did.
Question. Did the thief need the actual stealing skill to take popps' fish and other items, or could he/she be a player without the stealing skill who simply took advantage of a mistake in the security setting?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish I could help, but I have no chars on Cats that could catch sea fish.

However, I'm not understanding why you are 'forced' to have 2 ships. I can't even leave one of my ships in the water, or it would get scuttled, but I still have managed to do enough quests to get each scroll I needed up to, and including, a 120. My fish stocks are kept in 4 crates in my house.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish I could help, but I have no chars on Cats that could catch sea fish.
Thanks, I know you mean it and so just the thought means a lot to me, really appreciated.

However, I'm not understanding why you are 'forced' to have 2 ships. I can't even leave one of my ships in the water, or it would get scuttled, but I still have managed to do enough quests to get each scroll I needed up to, and including, a 120. My fish stocks are kept in 4 crates in my house.

I know others keep their fish either in bank or at home in a secure, but that means a lot of recalling to do when working on filling up the fishing quests.

The problem is, that even though the High Seas ship have a larger capacity of older ships they still fill up quite fast with the quantity of fish needed to take care of fish monger quests.

There is 12 shallow sea fish, 18 deep sea fish and 12 Dungeon Sea fish plus 14 named crabs and lobsters. Since containers can only store up to 400 stones, they reach full capacity quite fast and this means a plethora of containers that add it to item count in order to maintain "some" order in the hold. I have found that I must have 1 container per 2 fish/crabs/lobsters types in order to have them organized in my hold.

Since we have 56 various types of fish/crabs/lobsters all needed for fishing quests, this means moreless some 28 containers needed to have them organized. So we have a total item count of about 84 items. To this it is necessary to add space for hides, scales, MiBs, Nets from Sea Serps not to mention the rewards from the fish monger quests and, some commodity deeds for those fish/crabs/lobsters in quantities that make the hold exceed 16,000 stones.

Bottom line is, in order for me to have all my needs for and from fish monger Quests, given the current limitations (16,000 stones capacity, 125 items and internal containers limited to 400 stones) I can "barely" handle 1 hold to assist me for all of my fish monger Quests.

Adding also fishing to it would be too much. Especially, because to speed up my fishing I just drop them into the hold as I fish so that they auto-stack. If I did it with my "questing ship" where I have my fish/crabs and lobsters organized in internal containers I would have to take additional steps, remember what fish/crab/lobster is in what internal container and rather than drop them into the hold for the to auto stack, I'd have to handle also the internal containers which is extra work, means making mistakes for dropping them into the wrong internal container and so on.

Instead, by having a separate ship for fishing, I just fish up, drop them into the hold and when I reach 16,000 stones I convert them into commodity deeds and keep going.

As I said, I have done extensive fishing in the past, when I had time at hand and over more than a month and a half of intensive fishing, every day for several hours, all manual as I wholeheartedly despise scripting, I fine tuned the process to using a second ship to save me time and make the whole process less troubling even though it was a huge, royal consumption of my time in the game.

When I really had enough of fishing, I took pauses and used my other ship to run through the Quests as a break from fishing and then I went back to fishing.

It worked for me, and I never had problems until I was looted by someone of all my work for Deep Sea fish stock besides other items that I still had in my fishing ship.

Now, if things were different, and we could have a ship that holds more than 16,000 stones, a number of items higher than 125, and we had available internal containers that can hold more than 400 stones, then probably I could have organized my ship for questing AND fishing without the need for a second ship. At that point, my security settings would have been all on DENY ACCESS and I would have never run into this devastating loss for the time I invested in my stock.

If I used scripting, I would not care at all, probably a few days of 24 hours a day of script fishing would build my deep sea fish stock up again, but I do not script, my fishing is all manual at the expense of my time and so, having to re-do it all over again, especially these days where my time in the game is way much scarcer, unfortunately, practically means a stop to my fishing quests.

I wished the security settings was not so confusing and that when they released the new ships they came with clear guides explaining everything in details and telling to players what NOT to do in order not to expose one's own belongings to losses. Unfortunately, as many things in the game it was all left to players to investigate, experiment and detail for others which can mean, as often players have found, mistakes, misunderstanding and confusion.

It was my fault for not understanding well how the security system all worked, but it was also for a good part fault of a confusing system released without clear instructions to players about how to use it for no mistakes to happen.

So, I can only feel partially guilty for what has happened, the rest of the guilt goes, IMHO, to those who conceived such a confusing security system without clear user guides besides forcing players to have more than 1 ship because of such incomprehensible limitations thus opening themselves up to possible problems for having 1 character have to rely on 2 ships rather than 1.

As in regards to the looter, while I understand that there is thieving in the game, this as OrianaGRI also said, I consider an entirely separate issue. Regardless whether I may have access in the game to anyone's ship, house or secure, this circumstance would not make me feel that I can help myself with someone else's belongings which are the result of their work, their time, their efforts. But that's the way I personally feel about it, and not everyone thinks likewise.

I hoped at very least that I could see my fish stock back through paying a reasonable ransom and that would have still meant, besides the other items which I was still taken away from my hold, additional gold for the looter. Unfortunately, this seems not likely to happen though I maintain my hopes up.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question. Did the thief need the actual stealing skill to take popps' fish and other items, or could he/she be a player without the stealing skill who simply took advantage of a mistake in the security setting?
No stealing skill was required, but that doesn't really matter. In this particular instance I used the term thief in a generic sense. He took something that did not belong to him, therefore he is a thief. Regardless of what skills he did or didn't use, he worked completely within legal game mechanics to pull off the theft.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps, secure containers in the house have no weight limit, so you don't use anything like as many lock downs. A blue beetle or packie means you only have to recall home to load up the order once per quest. It's really not that much hassle, rather less I think than having to recall between two different ships?

T

Tazar

I keep all of my fish in a commodity deed box so that I can easily deed groups as needed and reclaim them in the ship's hold. That way I don't have to mess with the packies.