• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

DEV'S: Overpowered?

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
only want to point out one thing...

"but He never needed to pay a dime for his sweet sword"

how? the item is no longer able to be found/earned other than buying it. that's the entire point of this thread here. that it's unfair new/returning players can't EARN the item, they must buy it.

so how can you defend items being removed from the game because a new player can buy it instead of earning it, then you're saying it's okay cause a new player can earn it not have to buy it...

what side are you on? people being able to make/find/earn their own, or only being able to buy it?

U

UOKaiser

only want to point out one thing...

"but He never needed to pay a dime for his sweet sword"

how? the item is no longer able to be found/earned other than buying it. that's the entire point of this thread here. that it's unfair new/returning players can't EARN the item, they must buy it.

so how can you defend items being removed from the game because a new player can buy it instead of earning it, then you're saying it's okay cause a new player can earn it not have to buy it...

what side are you on? people being able to make/find/earn their own, or only being able to buy it?
Because it is free gold. He sold things he got from hard work to make the gold. if he wanted to collect a rare then he would use his gold which he received from other methods to get it. In the first few months of a newbie life the last thing he needs to concentrate is on rare collecting. He could of earn it if he was around at the time. But because he and many are not they will have to buy it from the players who put time in to get it at that time.

Am on both sides. The people have the market made by the players. The items in the market where obtained by the players by hard work,chance or being in the right place at the right time.
Currently there is actually nothing thats overpowered that is not available in some way or another. it used to be the originals of the replicas where extreme rares and had advantages but this was around like this for a decade nothing adverse came out of this. They eventually made it availble as regular replica items. Event though the tag made it different and the wearing out from the originals it still hit the rares community hard. Some people who Uo carrer was collecting such valuable items for use or display. Rare museums closed down in masses. Many long time community players gone.
Uo is the first to make rares a profession in the online gaming world and many accounts came because of this. Over the last few years everything has become more catered to everything being common making these communities nothing like it once was. I think is one of the reason the many of dev were fired. They lost alot of the long term subscriptions of very influentual members because of this. I don't think the dev ever noticed this is a reason these subscriptions being dwindling these past few years.

Anyway of topic. A newbie cannot get anything because well hes a newbie. He will have to go through the steps of becoming good at what he does in game and play the game to be able to afford getting into the rares community with imaginary gold. No rare is needed to play the game there will be other opportunities with other stuff coming around sooner or later. This time they need to pay attention to get it.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget though that new items and new limited items are also always being introduced almost as often as other items are being removed.

We've had this kind of thing going on for a long time. It sucks yes, but that is just how this game is now. Perhaps it was this kind of problem that lead the way for the introduction of imbuing and replicas.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

That's wonderful.

It is.

Get over it.

"A true gamer adapts." Wasn't that a quote from a classic shard thread? Be a true gamer and adapt to how things are.
I wonder...would you adapt so easily if AoS and UO:R were suddenly removed and you found your uber items to be useless...and yourself open to PKs wherever you went?

I'd love to put that to the test...

U

UOKaiser

I wonder...would you adapt so easily if AoS and UO:R were suddenly removed and you found your uber items to be useless...and yourself open to PKs wherever you went?

Well those that couldn't adapt to trammel left so did those who couldn't adapt to AOS. So those who couldn't adapt to a reverse to the 90's will leave as well. I would leave also. I left after each time and came back but I can't adapt to a reverse change like that.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Well those that couldn't adapt to trammel left so did those who couldn't adapt to AOS. So those who couldn't adapt to a reverse to the 90's will leave as well. I would leave also. I left after each time and came back but I can't adapt to a reverse change like that.
See bold print for my point.

People that are AoS FanBois are constantly telling us old school players to 'adapt'...but most would refuse (there is no 'can't' in this scenario...just 'won't') to do so themselves.

Isn't hypocrisy just the grandest? :thumbup1:

U

UOKaiser

People that are AoS FanBois are constantly telling us old school players to 'adapt'...but most would refuse (there is no 'can't' in this scenario...just 'won't') to do so themselves.

But AOS being around for what 7 years? If you still playing that means you adapted. If not then you didn't adapt

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

But AOS being around for what 7 years? If you still playing that means you adapted. If not then you didn't adapt
If I lose my job making $200k per year, and can't find anything else besides another job making $60k per year...I have "adapted"...

...doesn't mean I have to like it.

U

UOKaiser

If I lose my job making $200k per year, and can't find anything else besides another job making $60k per year...I have "adapted"...

...doesn't mean I have to like it.
Big difference you need job to live. Uo you don't need to live juist enjoy. If you don't enjoy it you would quit. If I don't enjoy Uo am sure aint going to give money to EA for nothing. Definetely don't need it to live. So you must like and enjoy Uo to still play it unlike a job that you are forced to have or not be able to afford thiongs you do want like food.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

So you must like and enjoy Uo to still play it unlike a job that you are forced to have or not be able to afford thiongs you do want like food.
You would think that, wouldn't you...and I have come so close to just canceling my accounts, but something won't let me do it. I think its part nostalgia, and part some misguided hope that things are going to change...

...but I keep turning my subscription money over to EA...and days, weeks, even months seem to go by without me logging in anymore, or if I do, its just to look around or talk to someone I know. I tried the "new school" way since AoS came, and honestly, I am just tired of it.

I guess it is hard for someone that enjoys the current game to understand...but its like UO now is the last link to UO the way it was...but that's all that it is.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In my imbuing of my Melisande's Hatchet, I think I stumbled on what may be behind this.

Weren't some of the announced (human-usable) artifacts (and maybe some of the others) ones with NEGATIVE DI?

That can kinda really skew intensities. Imagine an item with -50% DI and 2 properties at 175% intensity. you could STILL add 2 100% intensities, if all were 1.0 weight, to that item, and not go over 450, because of the (negative 100%) Intensity of the DI.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Actually, I'd love a free shard. My arguments against it are only the amount of time the devs would put in it be allocated to other things.

I've played free shards using the Pree AoS rule set, I've played on siege. I do in fact prefer the pre-AoS way of doing things, but that's irrelevant as that does nothing for the topic at hand, does it?

Nice attempt to call me out though, considering you know nothing about me.

Specially since I've never explicitly stated, nor has anyone mentioned, I am a "trammy." I've pvped, hopped a couple shards, right now I reside on a dead shard that's too laggy for me to get into the PvP seen as I refuse to use a dismount tamer (template recommended for laggy players).

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
reread that then try replying, cause first, I don't think people should have things handed to them at all. when i started we didn't have assist, quests, or even Haven. So trust me i know what it's like, took me almost a year to GM blacksmithing.

"No mater what it comes down to, you're still condoning people not working for what they want. That's a care bear, not a trammy, or a pure PvMer or someone who hates PvP."

No, let me dumb it down for you

THEY made UO easy as in making your char 120 max in days, so why do THEY want to make the players wait longer for uber items? when it was the opposite? THEY wanted your char to take forever to train, but they allowed you to get uber items much faster...

you don't find it silly that they did a 180 on both of those at the same time? I do

you call me a care bear because I'm against HANDING people their characters for nothing (even buying them from the UO store) yet making some uber items 100% impossible to get? a care bear was someone who is afraid of PvP and having to defend their items they earned in game... so you really have me confused

"Buying things makes it possible thus ruining your whole point."
"I for one, don't think it's right that anyone gets things without little effort, "

two of your quotes put together, you don't think people should get things easily, yet you think the "problem" is solved cause you can buy them? how the **** is that not easy? if you ask me that's the easiest way to get anything.

sorry but i beleive people should work for their items and skills. now how can someone work for an item they want if it's no longer in game? but still being used? other than your stupid answer of buying it. and yes what you said makes you borderline ******** because you also said:

"It is possible to 120 a skill in a week, or days, of you macro or golem smash, which isn't really what I condone"

and again:

"Buying things makes it possible thus ruining your whole point."

so again, to you if someone buys an advanced character token, or buys their 6x120 account that's "earned", yet if they macro a character from 100 skill points that's not earned?

lemme say it again, you act like people should WORK for their stuff right? yet you're okay with not allowing people to work for the item they want because ITS NO LONGER IN GAME, yet you think "working" for something is to just buy it... sorry but to me, earning something is to get off your ass and EARN it, not pay someone who did the work for you...
In reality, the amount of time it takes to get a skill to 120 though means generally frowned upon, through macroing or golem bashing aren't really the points i'm trying to make or counter, the thread is about powerful items not being available to certain players for whatever reasons, so stay on topic. I was just referring to one of your points and others.

Macroing is generally unattended, thus against the ToS. Buying an advanced char token isn't. Obvious argument is obvious.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The items are in game, you just buy them from other players.

I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your post as it seems to be generally irrelevant to the point I was trying to make and you rather devalue me by small mistakes I've made (if I've made any, I didn't read the skill stuff through because, it's not what I'm trying to argue) instead of the point of the entire argument. Thus any further comment on this post is a waste of my time.

If I'm wrong about some deeply hidden important point, please tell me and I'll try to reread the post, other than that, I don't care.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You're essentially trolling, aren't you? You haven't made an argument yet, but you seem to try to discredit others by what you assume is their play style?

What are you a 16 year old trying to be queen of the debate club by calling the opponent a nerd while you're captain of the basketball team?

You're posts are "haha you're trammy, if we removed tram, you lose, I pk now. Lulz"

Either make a point or stop feeding your post count for ****s 'n giggles.

G

gjohnson5

First off... Hit chance on shields... I have dozens of shields with hit chance... but anyone who's returned to the game after that change came into effect isn't so fortunate.
Order shield Museum of Vesper replica has 15 hit chance , 80 luck and spell channeling

They probably should make the museum replicas a more attainable

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You would think that, wouldn't you...and I have come so close to just canceling my accounts, but something won't let me do it. I think its part nostalgia, and part some misguided hope that things are going to change...

I feel the same, I would like, though, to start seeing at least "some" light at the end of the tunnel..........

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I agree with the OP's sentiment. I would like a means to obtain items from past events. The one that most concerns me is the Conjurer's Trinket. This is a staple in just about every dexxers (melee or archer) suit, but it is unearnable today. I don't want these items to be easy to get, but I would like to see a way to get one. I recommended the entire conjurer's line be added as Doom Artifacts to give them a chance to enter the game today. This item, in time, will not be available on vendors. The numbers for sale have shrunk of late and the item is now routinely over 10M. I suspect the item will be over 50M a year from now (if you can find one for sale). If it was an item that could be crafted or imbued that is one thing. But there is no way to make a talisman with a DI, a super slayer, and HCI. I would love to see a Summoner's Trinket with Demon Slayer, 20 DI, and 10 HCI as a new SA artifact. That would be close enough to meet my needs for a future char's suit.

-OBSIDIAN-

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What if instead, every year all the old cars had to be taken in and converted to meet current model year standards? No one would complain about that. Its only a few thousand dollars every year to make your car legal or just not drive it. Seriously, this would be about as bad as the scenario above.
You're smoking something strong as hell, right?

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think with imbuing, you don't really need those items anymore.
Because yeah, imbuing is real easy and cheap, especially for a new player who has to pay for SA upgrade as well to even get the skill, not to mention they would have to know all of this, which most new players just wouldn't.

Imbued items can't be made with self repair either, nor fortified, so they break relatively fast.

I think people are complaining too much, while they should rather play and have some fun.
And perhaps this makes it a lot less fun.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without reading the OP or any replies, I concur - the devs are overpowered.

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all the crying about things that are overpowered and the change back to not being able to imbue artifacts....

I'd like to take this opportunity to express my irritation about things I think are "unfair" and unbalancing.

First off... Hit chance on shields... I have dozens of shields with hit chance... but anyone who's returned to the game after that change came into effect isn't so fortunate.

Secondly... My tamer has a few real NICE Dreadmares.... really nice must for a tamer... but if you weren't around for that event.... your tamer is SOL.

Then at Halloween you give us... Conjurers Garb... now the Conjurers Trinket you overbalanced dexers now with Conjurers garb... you give a select few a serious edge.

Ok so now... here we are... once again... you are turning off being able to imbue artifacts now.... what next?

I have friends returning who are upset... and feel as though they just can't get anywhere in UO anymore because everything that's "good" is either extremely expensive or I have to tell them over and over... Oh..... you can't get that anymore. Gee I'm sorry that was a one time event... and well... you can't get that anymore.

What are you going to do to balance things back out???

This is what I want to know. Before I have too many more friends return only to quit again citing not being able to "compete"... with all these "special" items.... and having no way to "fund" such things. I'm tired of seeing my friends discouraged.

I think the worst thing is the Dreadmares... these things should spawn somewhere... They should be tamable still.

*Casts spell* AN FLAM GRAV (To draw up a field of fire field negation)
this post is just sad... and a waste of time

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This WAS put to the test!!!

Prior to AoS & UO:R, folks were heading out the doors in droves, closing accounts. The Developers ADAPTED, made changes, and moved on. Some changes were deemed by a majority of Players as acceptable, some were opposed strongly, and more change followed, including Dev changes.

Hopefully, future changes which clearly are coming will be well considered and well received. Otherwise, new Devs will make the next changes ... and the cycle will continue.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And that makes it a problem for the game since there is TONS competitive games out there....

Players do not enjoy having to spend countless time to "catch up" with existing players in order to be competitive.

And what happens when they realize, after initially trying the game out, that in order to be competitive they have to spend an enormous time to earn the gold needed to buy the items which they feel they need to be competitive ?

They ask themselves why bother and move on to some other game....

And Ultima Online looses subscriptions...........
Popps...you are making it sound like NO ONE can compete.

That is patently untrue.

ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE...even you...can compete, if they so choose.

If not, then they can blame all of their pathetic circumstances on why they can't keep up with the older players.

Or, if they are like really successful people, they will find a way to rise above the current circumstances, to achieve the desired result.

You and Chaos and everyone else that thinks that EVERYONE should have ready access to simply EVERYTHING in the game, even times that are long gone, but you seem to forget one of the most important edicts of real business:

Do everything you can to keep current customers. They are far more valuable than a new one may be.

Then, to keep the business alive, new customers must be attracted. In a game environment, that means that the game can't be TOO hard...or TOO easy.

You want to have all new players have EVERYTHING available to them that any other player has, and I say no. That is not what would keep me playing UO.

If I logged in and hit a big red Easy button to have Arties and Armor dropped in my bank account, and didn't need to hunt, run vendors, etc. I would quit.

And, as a demographic of the game for 12+ years, I would say I am not alone.

You are confusing "Ease" with "Effort".

They are very different animals. One leads to a person expecting simply everything to be available just the way, and when THEY want it (like a Coffee Shop or Grocery Store...different business model).

This is not what works in a competitive environment. To keep customers interested in competitive environment, they need to "Compete". This excludes everyone having exactly the same thing, for varying amounts of Effort.

Otherwise, both sides would win in a soccer match. But they don't. One side wins...the other loses.

In UO, if you are able to attend the event, you make it to the game. Otherwise, you "Forfeit" your game.

This can happen to people in a championship game they have waited YEARS to play, Popps. YEARS of real expense...driving kids to and from matches...YEARS of this.

If the team is late to their Championship Match, they "Forfeit" their prize, or even chance at it, and then they lose.

Now...I wanted to state all that to hopefully put a cork in your "UO will fail because it's just too HARD!!" diatribe.

However, the imbuing scenario, itself, should be evaluated. I have nothing to gain in terms of stockpiled items I can sell, or previously imbued items I covet.

However, it would seem that the reason for the change, albeit possibly valid, and meant to address something deeper than we are able to know...could be repealed with enough thought and reasoning.

Undoing it simply because Popps says that new players won't have the ability to imbue a Violet Courage or an Arctic Death Dealer...well...I say bullspit...complete bullspit.

Popps...I must say...you greatly underestimate the power of the human spirit for achievement, and goal consciousness. I will admit that it is a tough balancing act indeed...but you are way out there saying that new folks just can't compete. Not ALL new folks can compete. But, people have been competing in UO...in whatever sandbox method makes them the happiest for over 12 years.

Just because your subjective view says that most quit as soon as they try the game, and you know 4 people that left because they can't compete...way too small a slice to think it is valid for everyone, for sure.

Still competing...still here. Simply stated...all of the other MMOs need customers too...we can't hog them all.

:)

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because yeah, imbuing is real easy and cheap, especially for a new player who has to pay for SA upgrade as well to even get the skill, not to mention they would have to know all of this, which most new players just wouldn't.

Imbued items can't be made with self repair either, nor fortified, so they break relatively fast.

And perhaps this makes it a lot less fun.
Yeah, becoming a top notch anything, in life or in a game, is so easy...except for UO. Becoming a top notch anything is cheap and easy. Except for UO.

Yeah, becoming a great bowler is easy. You show up, they tie your shoes for you, pick out your ball, and throw it for you.

Then, you win the championship, and life is good! Bowling alleys stay in business, and everyone wins! And when I mean everyone...I mean everyone. Everyone who walks through the door of the bowling alley gets a trophy for being Top Bowler.

That's why it's so easy to make $150K a year...you go to get a job...actually...the businesses line up at YOUR door. No effort required...they line up, hire you, they do your work, and you collect the check! YAY!!

That's why it's so easy to become so good at ANY sport; teams train you, run your wind sprints...and they play the game for you. Then, you get a Super Bowl ring, as does every football player on Game Day (and, if they can't be there for the game...they can just buy one at the NFL Super Store) After all...becoming a Super Bowl player is hard, so they should make it easier for players to get the rings from the big events...otherwise no one will want to play football anymore.

Wow...do you not see how amazingly myopic and self centered your view of what should be available, and how, for a "Game"...a "Competitive event", is?

Wow...just Wow.

Maybe you and Popps could start the newest genre of MMOs:

I like to call it :

"The "Staples" Line of Games...They're so easy...even YOU can compete!!"

:lol:

C

Cloak&Dagger

There is far to many posts here to be bothered with, specially since not a single person has even remotely took the time to understand the other side of the argument, no one is correct here.

I can sympathize with the "new players" or the "old returning players" because I take time off too, and do not get things. But I also have no gripes with the limited time offers. You do not need those limited Items to compete in these game, EVER, somewhere it was mentioned that no robe gives mr 2? Well that is ok, I prefer another mod since I already have almost 20mr, the other robes would suite me better. A ton of other examples in this thread as well, sure I sympathize but I do not see it as a problem with UO, and certainly not one anyone is quitting over, if they are they do not understand how any game works and should just avoid games in general.

This WAS put to the test!!!

Prior to AoS & UO:R, folks were heading out the doors in droves, closing accounts. The Developers ADAPTED, made changes, and moved on. Some changes were deemed by a majority of Players as acceptable, some were opposed strongly, and more change followed, including Dev changes.
Speculation, The Devs of those days also have posted statements saying they do not think UO:R was the correct action, also people where not heading out the door in droves, Sub numbers did not actually start dropping till about 6-12 months before the release of AOS, and after AOS they started going "in droves". That is my conclusion based on things I have seen, I will not claim to be able to prove it but then you can not prove it either.

Edit: In fact I have yet to see any Developer actually say that either of those changes saved UO, all of them seem to be very anti-UO:R. I do not recall any comments about AOS from any Developers so I am not sure how they feel about that change.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be obvious that the people who have been playing constantly as opposed to those who are returning would have better things.

It's not really an imbalance, it's time invested.

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all the crying about things that are overpowered and the change back to not being able to imbue artifacts....

I'd like to take this opportunity to express my irritation about things I think are "unfair" and unbalancing.

I agree completely.

Secondly... My tamer has a few real NICE Dreadmares.... really nice must for a tamer... but if you weren't around for that event.... your tamer is SOL.
Well tamers are really PvM'rs, they don't belong in PvP and so I have to agree while dream-mares are wonderful, riding around on a super dragon like creature and pvping with them is not fair.

Then at Halloween you give us... Conjurers Garb... now the Conjurers Trinket you overbalanced dexers now with Conjurers garb... you give a select few a serious edge.
If you have any char without a Garb (which is the best robe in the game right now) you are seriously afflicted. Conj Garb is by far the leetest mage robe there is.

Ok so now... here we are... once again... you are turning off being able to imbue artifacts now.... what next?
Well it's actually very stupid, and here is why: It doesn't change much. I mean there are so few artifacts that you can actually imbue meaningfully that this change is stupid. I really wish they'd focus their attention on things that need fixing. A good example of that is artifacts for Gargoyles, no AOF? Why not? There are some serious drawbacks to being a gargoyle and that is why they are not being embraced by the player community.

Wondering why Throwing isn't used in PvP? Because it blows. That variable distance HCI sucks. You have to be within a certain range to hit someone well? Wow... and before you argue with me go and try it, I have and I know what I'm talking about. I made the mistake of making a dismount thrower lol. It was terrible, the same guy is an archer and hits everytime now.

Do one or BOTH of these things to make this game better: Make more throwing weapons with more specs, and either remove the HCI distance thing or add it to archery as well. Balance it out. Right now there is no reason to train throwing at all.

I have friends returning who are upset... and feel as though they just can't get anywhere in UO anymore because everything that's "good" is either extremely expensive or I have to tell them over and over... Oh..... you can't get that anymore. Gee I'm sorry that was a one time event... and well... you can't get that anymore.

What are you going to do to balance things back out???
I'm going to be really honest with you. You are probably not going to like this but I mean this with respect. PvP is not something you can take casually. If you do, you are going to suck at it. It's a two year process that takes 10 hours a day and at the end of that two year process you will be as good as anyone else on the field (more or less). People run around and say "That's not fair they hack,, blah blah" but you know it's really not any of that. Sure there is some speed hacking going on (quite a bit) but there are many other factors, jumping off your mount, timing shots on different bows so you know when to do it (to avoid dismounts), carrying the right aids (pots, apples, petals, teleport scrolls if you are a dexxer), having the right crew with you, having a good shot caller, having a plan, gaining field experience, implementing good field tactics and strategies that work, and knowing what works on a suit and in a template. This is all stuff that doesn't just happen over night and makes a profound difference.

Understanding that it takes time and comittment is key to becoming a good PvP'r and respecting those who take the time to do it. Don't be angry (although that can be easy) with the people that dispatch you so quickly, they did it so quickly because you aren't good at the game, you haven't taken the time necessary to do the things they can do, you haven't spent a few hours thinking about the mods on your suit, and what template you are going to use and what weapon specials you will employ (if any) or what spell combinations you are going to use.. You probably don't have any keyboard macros setup (in game uo macros) to shortkey (hotkey) these things.

This is what I want to know. Before I have too many more friends return only to quit again citing not being able to "compete"... with all these "special" items.... and having no way to "fund" such things. I'm tired of seeing my friends discouraged.

I think the worst thing is the Dreadmares... these things should spawn somewhere... They should be tamable still.

*Casts spell* AN FLAM GRAV (To draw up a field of fire field negation)
What you say sounds good on paper, but why should your friends that weren't here get these things? This stuff is a reward for those of us that stuck it out, spent our money and worked hard for things. Why should some newb player that just came to the game, or someone that quit and said "(*#(@ UO" only to hear the call again get everything we do?

What good is a vet reward if someone can simply get it? It is an advantage tis true, but so what? Playing a long time is also an advantage, it is also a reward for loyalty. There should be MANY more incentive to play and keep playing, not less. You don't want your friends to miss out on dreadmares? Tell them to stop quitting.

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, you're so full of **** its amazing.
It's very easy to make more than that in two weeks. Sorry to tell you, go farm navry the night eyes and tangle drops are fairly common. I can get two a week if I do 10 naverys a day. That's a lot more than 60m. It's people like this that say "You are so full of **** its amazing" that contribute to this whine-machine.

They don't take the time to build the right templates, learn the right skills, put together the right gear. They just whine because other people are doing it and they don't know how or don't have the ambition to do it.

Even though there are plenty of forums (and Stratics isn't the only one *GASP*) that discuss the ins and outs of what I am talking about, they don't take the time to do any research. Then they whine about it all day to the devs. WHAA WHAAA fix this it's "UNFAIR".

What is unfair is the dev's listen to them WAY TO MUCH. This game has been partially ruined because of this bs and it's absurd. This spits in the face of everyone that took the time to respect the game, research what they needed to do, experimented on test center, and came up with new and innovative ways to achieve success. These people try for a few days and say "IT CANT BE DONE THEY CHEAT" instead of doing what it takes to achieve their goal.

If you really want to know what is killing this game it is the slacker mentality of people *like* what I have described. Archers are over powered, fix it by changing archery so it's like throwing (it's more like real life that way anyway, bows have varying degrees of efficacy at different distances), put 1 minute timers on apples, put 10 second timers on cure pots, make trap boxes have to be re-armed when they are used and take taming out of PvP, limit one dicipline of magic per template (i.e magery not necro mage or mystic mage) and presto (this can be done simply with this code logic:

if character has magery && (other magic skill, necro , mystic, chiv, spellweaving)
then reduce faster casting cap to 1
reduce it again if they have more than 2 (for instance 3)

I'm talking about the CAP here too (use the code from the Chiv if magery > 69.9 make casting cap 2/6) do NOT allow jewels or someone to be 4/6 to achieve 2/6 with necro/mage combination.

It would be nice to see pure mages come back into action.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I haven't read the entire thread, so if I'm just repeating what has already been said, my apologies. The truth is there are lots of those one time event items around, and most of them aren't that hard to get, and I think there should be some advantages to having played for years, over having just joined. People who have just joined need something to work for, and this "I want everything NOW" attitude frankly irritates me.

I've been playing for over six years now and there are plenty of items that I can't obtain for one reason or another, and some of them are quite poweful, and could enhance my abilities in all kinds of ways, including pvp, significantly. I don't go around crying about how I can't get them. If I really want them, I find some way to get them.

With imbuing there are so many options for building a suit that there are very few, if any items that are truly "must haves". There are lots of items that are nice, but there aren't any that if you don't have them you simply can't compete. And the day that there is nothing to work for in UO, the day the instant gratification FPS gamers all get their way, is the day I leave UO for good.

R

rajadeah

Same as the post above I havnt read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been said. I just want to add on the returning player statments. One thing to remember about returning players is many of them have cashed out when they left the game. I have seen it time and time again people selling out and cashing in and leaving for 6 months and returning with nothing, but then quickly making 400 500 mill in a month or 2 and selling out again.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are confusing "Ease" with "Effort".

I am talking about "time".................

Time is an assett, has a worth, time is precious, time is never enough.......

What I am talking about, is that the times when there was only Ultima Online are long gone.

Now, there is tons of other games, and besides tons of other games, there is also all of the time needed to live one's own life meaning, school, work, social relations, errands, chores, family duties, blah blah and blah.......

What I am trying to say, is that on average, people do not have that much time handy to invest into a game in order to be competitive and play it for fun. Especially, when there is a whole lot of catching up needed to be competitive.

I am talking about casual playing vs. powergaming.

It is not about effort or ease, it is all about having or not the time.

When the catching up is too much, and time is too short, the 2 do not mix well.

So, players move elsewhere and the game looses subscriptions.

Shortening the gap to be covered helps keeping also the casual players with less time handy capable of competitively play the game and, so, increases the resources for the game.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too, am of the view that they should add ways to allow all players to get limited/one-time items.

Mind, at the same time, I believe that event items should be special and the folks that actually participated in to should get something nice and unique to remember the event by.

However, good deeds tend to be forgotten easily -

The devs have already done this and have even come up with a solution that allow the event items to be unique while at the same time let players that missed the events to get their hands on them. You see, many of the old one time event rares like the uber Lt Sash now drop as replicas from champion spawns.

Granted, not everything has been added yet, especially the newer items. Nor will it be easy to get. But I believe it's probably just a matter of time.

Regarding making all arties non-imbueable, I would still like to know why they took that action. To me, allowing arties to be imbueable while blocking imbuing on specific arties that may become overpowered (like what they have done) was a great move. Why the reversal?

Is it due to increased admin/design resources that they'd rather spend on development? It it a temporary thing? Are they going to do the reverse, block imbuing on every artie by default and only allow weaker arties to be imbued?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, becoming a top notch anything, in life or in a game, is so easy...except for UO. Becoming a top notch anything is cheap and easy. Except for UO.

I guess different people play UO for different reasons.... Not sure about others but personally, I just play it for entertainment.

Rather than going to movies, sometimes I feel playing UO.
Or, an evening TV is boring and so I play UO.

A game is there to fill in time holes when there is nothing else better or more important to do, IMHO.

I do not have to play cards with friends, I do it when I have the time and I feel like doing it.

Being competitive to play an online computer game, IMHO, has nothing to do with "besting" the game. More, it has to do with actually enjoying the time spent playing it.

Who likes dieing every fight one is in ? I think not many....

Nonetheless, if one does not have the right gear and weaponry or scrolled skills that is how fights will end up, OOooooOOOing most times....

And, that is not fun.

Since I would imagine the game is played to enjoy it, this means that if one is looking for PvP enjoyment because the NPC AI is not as fun, then this means necessarily that one needs the gear and weaponry to compete.

But if time is short, the gap to cover in order to be able to enjoy the game might be too much a long task and, eventually, the casual player might give up and move elsewhere, to other games where the catching up to have fun playing the game ain't that much a daunting task.

U

UOKaiser

Interesting thats what they are called. Thanks Llewen. i was looking for that term. FPS players. Popps you a FPS player arent you? Who else in here are FPS players? First person shooters the players that come in a game with exactly what other players have and frag one another with pretty much no variation in the system.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't read the entire thread, so if I'm just repeating what has already been said, my apologies. The truth is there are lots of those one time event items around, and most of them aren't that hard to get, and I think there should be some advantages to having played for years, over having just joined.
Experience, wealth, communities, friendships, knowledge, memories, etc.

If these things aren't enough for you and you need further advantages over a n00b, then you're the one truly missing whats important in the game.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's very easy to make more than that in two weeks.
LO, no its not.

Sorry to tell you, go farm navry the night eyes and tangle drops are fairly common. I can get two a week if I do 10 naverys a day. That's a lot more than 60m. It's people like this that say "You are so full of **** its amazing" that contribute to this whine-machine.
Its pretty camped here and they certainly don't sell for that much at all.

They don't take the time to build the right templates, learn the right skills, put together the right gear. They just whine because other people are doing it and they don't know how or don't have the ambition to do it.
Then for the good of us all, it might be better to get rid of the few of you who do that, so the game can cater to the greater group of people.

Even though there are plenty of forums (and Stratics isn't the only one *GASP*) that discuss the ins and outs of what I am talking about, they don't take the time to do any research. Then they whine about it all day to the devs. WHAA WHAAA fix this it's "UNFAIR".

What is unfair is the dev's listen to them WAY TO MUCH. This game has been partially ruined because of this bs and it's absurd. This spits in the face of everyone that took the time to respect the game, research what they needed to do, experimented on test center, and came up with new and innovative ways to achieve success. These people try for a few days and say "IT CANT BE DONE THEY CHEAT" instead of doing what it takes to achieve their goal.
Or perhaps they really do cheat, since well over half of the UO population cheats, its more likely that those who gains a lot actually cheat.

And UO isn't some research project, its a game, a game meant to have fun in. Not everyone have no lives and can sit around putting meaning in their life only through constantly working an MMO.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What you say sounds good on paper, but why should your friends that weren't here get these things? This stuff is a reward for those of us that stuck it out, spent our money and worked hard for things. Why should some newb player that just came to the game, or someone that quit and said "(*#(@ UO" only to hear the call again get everything we do?

What good is a vet reward if someone can simply get it? It is an advantage tis true, but so what? Playing a long time is also an advantage, it is also a reward for loyalty. There should be MANY more incentive to play and keep playing, not less. You don't want your friends to miss out on dreadmares? Tell them to stop quitting.
Those who stick around get other rewards anyway...resources, money, community, friends, experience, memories, fun times, etc.

If that really isn't enough for you, but also need an content-wise "one up" on returning and new players, then there's something really sad going on with you.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ohhh!!! The missus just reminded me of this, personal bless deeds!

Not arties, but I would love for my new chars to get one...

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I think there should just be a great big gump that comes up whenever you log in, and you should be able to just create any item you want out of thin air, or adjust your skills/stats or skill cap with the push of a button. This is the modern age after all. Didn't anyone else watch the Jetsons?

rolleyes:

E

Evlar

Cloak‡1668447 said:
I do not recall any comments about AOS from any Developers so I am not sure how they feel about that change.
Nor I think, are you likely to. They've continued to work with the changes that AOS brought about. Therefore it's unlikely they would openly criticise something they have added to is it?

That's not me being critical of the devs. They've walked in on something that's already well established. To reverse such a change across the whole game, would be a hell of a lot of work, plus it would likely lose them countless subscriptions. I would never argue otherwise, because I actually believe that the majority of current players probably like and are happy with post-AOS item orientated gameplay. Many who weren't, have left the game steadily over the years. There are those of us who have stuck with it, or returned periodically for a second, third, fourth... etc... chance, yet unfortunately the game moves further away from the eras we enjoyed the most.

I am happy for those who enjoy the game as it is. It's just not for me and a steadily increasing number of people who are showing their support for a stand-alone "classic" option.

AoS changes for me is the keystone of any debate about any item, skill or template that's "overpowered". Rose-tinted "nostalgia" glasses or not, I just feel the game as a whole, was much more balanced. The counter-argument to that might be rampant PK'ing and thievery, but that was entirely the result of a failed "social experiment", preference for some to be "bad", which is another topic entirely.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nor I think, are you likely to. They've continued to work with the changes that AOS brought about. Therefore it's unlikely they would openly criticise something they have added to is it?

That's not me being critical of the devs. They've walked in on something that's already well established. To reverse such a change across the whole game, would be a hell of a lot of work, plus it would likely lose them countless subscriptions. I would never argue otherwise, because I actually believe that the majority of current players probably like and are happy with post-AOS item orientated gameplay. Many who weren't, have left the game steadily over the years. There are those of us who have stuck with it, or returned periodically for a second, third, fourth... etc... chance, yet unfortunately the game moves further away from the eras we enjoyed the most.

I am happy for those who enjoy the game as it is. It's just not for me and a steadily increasing number of people who are showing their support for a stand-alone "classic" option.

AoS changes for me is the keystone of any debate about any item, skill or template that's "overpowered". Rose-tinted "nostalgia" glasses or not, I just feel the game as a whole, was much more balanced. The counter-argument to that might be rampant PK'ing and thievery, but that was entirely the result of a failed "social experiment", preference for some to be "bad", which is another topic entirely.
Couple of things.

The dev teams changed, so them being critical of past dev teams ideas that were implemented would be plausible.

There's already a dedicated thread for classic shard talk, stop derailing this thread please?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am talking about "time".................

Time is an assett, has a worth, time is precious, time is never enough.......

What I am talking about, is that the times when there was only Ultima Online are long gone.

Now, there is tons of other games, and besides tons of other games, there is also all of the time needed to live one's own life meaning, school, work, social relations, errands, chores, family duties, blah blah and blah.......

What I am trying to say, is that on average, people do not have that much time handy to invest into a game in order to be competitive and play it for fun. Especially, when there is a whole lot of catching up needed to be competitive.

I am talking about casual playing vs. powergaming.

It is not about effort or ease, it is all about having or not the time.

When the catching up is too much, and time is too short, the 2 do not mix well.

So, players move elsewhere and the game looses subscriptions.

Shortening the gap to be covered helps keeping also the casual players with less time handy capable of competitively play the game and, so, increases the resources for the game.
Hate to break it to you, but MMO's always require a lot of time if you always want to be up-to-date with everything in this game. In fact, UO requires LESS time than other MMO's out there.

There will always be power-gamers in every game. Get use to it. Seriously.

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LO, no its not.

Its pretty camped here and they certainly don't sell for that much at all.

Then for the good of us all, it might be better to get rid of the few of you who do that, so the game can cater to the greater group of people.

Or perhaps they really do cheat, since well over half of the UO population cheats, its more likely that those who gains a lot actually cheat.

And UO isn't some research project, its a game, a game meant to have fun in. Not everyone have no lives and can sit around putting meaning in their life only through constantly working an MMO.
Did you really just make the statement that people "have lives" and can't sit around playing a game, while you not only play UO but troll boards while you suck at it? Too fun.

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those who stick around get other rewards anyway...resources, money, community, friends, experience, memories, fun times, etc.

If that really isn't enough for you, but also need an content-wise "one up" on returning and new players, then there's something really sad going on with you.
Yet here you are whining about not getting what is due you... interesting... more laughs for the fodder.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ohhh!!! The missus just reminded me of this, personal bless deeds!

Not arties, but I would love for my new chars to get one...
I'd love even more to get mine back.

But there is a day dream for you.

Still think that they should all be reset and everyone who doesn't have one... should get one one their first year anniversary.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you really just make the statement that people "have lives" and can't sit around playing a game, while you not only play UO but troll boards while you suck at it? Too fun.
You think he's on UHall a lot, you should see how often he's on OT:NHB

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hate to break it to you, but MMO's always require a lot of time if you always want to be up-to-date with everything in this game. In fact, UO requires LESS time than other MMO's out there.

There will always be power-gamers in every game. Get use to it. Seriously.
Viper, it's like you think the same things as me. Lol.

But like I said... I doubt Popps really has any idea what he's saying, just trying to get an "easy button" game for new players.

We have one though, in UO. It's called Test Center, as I and others have said. It's where you can pretend to be a 1337 pvp g0d or whatever strikes your fancy.