• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

DEV'S: Overpowered?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
With all the crying about things that are overpowered and the change back to not being able to imbue artifacts....

I'd like to take this opportunity to express my irritation about things I think are "unfair" and unbalancing.

First off... Hit chance on shields... I have dozens of shields with hit chance... but anyone who's returned to the game after that change came into effect isn't so fortunate.

Secondly... My tamer has a few real NICE Dreadmares.... really nice must for a tamer... but if you weren't around for that event.... your tamer is SOL.

Then at Halloween you give us... Conjurers Garb... now the Conjurers Trinket you overbalanced dexers now with Conjurers garb... you give a select few a serious edge.

Ok so now... here we are... once again... you are turning off being able to imbue artifacts now.... what next?

I have friends returning who are upset... and feel as though they just can't get anywhere in UO anymore because everything that's "good" is either extremely expensive or I have to tell them over and over... Oh..... you can't get that anymore. Gee I'm sorry that was a one time event... and well... you can't get that anymore.

What are you going to do to balance things back out???

This is what I want to know. Before I have too many more friends return only to quit again citing not being able to "compete"... with all these "special" items.... and having no way to "fund" such things. I'm tired of seeing my friends discouraged.

I think the worst thing is the Dreadmares... these things should spawn somewhere... They should be tamable still.

*Casts spell* AN FLAM GRAV (To draw up a field of fire field negation)

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, game play altering items like those should be able to be acquired by new players eventually. Only Deco items should be rare and unobtainable after an event ends. So devs, open up the islands in Ter Mur and add the old stuff or something please.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I completely agree...sadly I've had a lot of responses here on Stratics along the line of "you snoze you lose", "if you're not a veteran, then you're not as good as the others", "if you didn't play, then its your own fault (even if you paid)".

I am completely against things that are important or gives an edge being one shot deals, legacy items or time specific.

The following things ought to happen:

One shot deals:
Make them always available through some continuous event/turn-in/quest.

Legacy items:
1. Either reintroduce them or
2. Render all current legacy overpowered items useless after a period, allow for a turn-in for reward or something out of it. People who are mad at losing their stuff would really just have to live with it, as so many things have been rendered less useful or crappy over the years.

Time Specific items:
Make them available either through purchase on Mythics UO shop (tokens, +5 stat increase, +20 skill limit, etc.) or make them permanently spawn somehow either through monsters, quests or event. (like Tokuno items)

Maybe introduce less new items and deal a bit more with the old.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes i see your points.
I wasent on for the dreadmares, but would like to have one for fun...

As it goes for mini arties and other ones, what good are they now?

Like cavorting club/artic death dealer and violet courage to name a few...

You cant or wont be able to imbue and even then its not worth it...

Can you turn the paragon drops in for anything??

Since imbuing came out, it has given everyone a even chance at some good stuff...

But by doing so , it has made alot of other items just useless junk..

L

Liquid_Ape

I completely agree...sadly I've had a lot of responses here on Stratics along the line of "you snoze you lose", "if you're not a veteran, then you're not as good as the others", "if you didn't play, then its your own fault (even if you paid)".

I am completely against things that are important or gives an edge being one shot deals, legacy items or time specific.

The following things ought to happen:

One shot deals:
Make them always available through some continuous event/turn-in/quest.

Legacy items:
1. Either reintroduce them or
2. Render all current legacy overpowered items useless after a period, allow for a turn-in for reward or something out of it. People who are mad at losing their stuff would really just have to live with it, as so many things have been rendered less useful or crappy over the years.

Time Specific items:
Make them available either through purchase on Mythics UO shop (tokens, +5 stat increase, +20 skill limit, etc.) or make them permanently spawn somehow either through monsters, quests or event. (like Tokuno items)

Maybe introduce less new items and deal a bit more with the old.
Sometimes UO mirrors reality.

Take cars for example. Every year emissions requirements keep getting stricter. So, new cars have tougher and tougher standards to meet. Would it be a good thing to just not have any emissions standards because some guy with a car built in 1966 gets to pollute and its not fair that people buying new cars cant? Not really the best plan because then nothing ever changes and no one can ever recover from a past mistake. (In the case of UO, if nothing ever gets balanced, then either everything keeps getting more powerful since nothing can be made less powerful, or no changes are ever made, right?)

What if instead, every year all the old cars had to be taken in and converted to meet current model year standards? No one would complain about that. Its only a few thousand dollars every year to make your car legal or just not drive it. Seriously, this would be about as bad as the scenario above.

Or, as experience has shown, they could do the best thing: Have new standards for new cars and grandfather in the old ones. Sure the old ones are "unfair", but ultimately they will wear out except for a chosen few that show up at car shows or are driven around on the weekend. Eventually, the impact of the old grandfathered cars will be so low as to be negligible.

Perhaps, as some have suggested, the best thing to do is to implement the new rules, grandfather in the old pieces and try to get people to turn them in with a "cash for clunkers" type turn in.

Just a thought.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have almost none of these items, and yet I can compete in PvP and PvM. I think with imbuing, you don't really need those items anymore. I like it that this game offers some diversity and individualism. I like it when I see a player who has a unique equiment, instead of all players using the same stuff. And I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities to acquire items that are just as powerful as those you mentioned. Also, you might want to check out the new loot of reknowned and peerless monsters coming with the next patch.

I think people are complaining too much, while they should rather play and have some fun.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have friends returning who are upset... and feel as though they just can't get anywhere in UO anymore because everything that's "good" is either extremely expensive or I have to tell them over and over... Oh..... you can't get that anymore.

You hit the nail on the head..........

I will never understand WHY, in order to make the game more interesting for existing players, this has to be done at the expense of new or returning players....

I wished that there was more long term vision and, when adding new content for a limited time the focus was never lost that the game, in order to prosper and live it needs new players and returning players, also......

S

Shanny

Lets stress the entire system by making every item/event/turn in available 24/7/365. Anyone can work and save gold to acquire these items in game. While the price may not be cheap you can earn gold through so many different ways it is amazing. It may take a month to save up to purchase a 12 million dollar item but it is something to work towards.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MalagAste post sounds like sarcasm.

How so ?

Don't perhaps new players or returning players find walls with the game when trying to play it ?

How many returning players or brand new players actually stick with UO after a few weeks of trying the game out ??

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I will never understand WHY, in order to make the game more interesting for existing players, this has to be done at the expense of new or returning players....

I wished that there was more long term vision and, when adding new content for a limited time the focus was never lost that the game, in order to prosper and live it needs new players and returning players, also......
I don't see what's really wrong.

Yes, those powerful items are time specific.

But what about the future powerful items? Are they not going to be around for those too?

Chances are, that if they play the game long enough to need those items, finish their characters, ect. They'll probably have the opportunity to get even BETTER limited time items. Hell, the robes keep getting more powerful, chances are by the time they're done, they'll have a better robe.

People just need to stop thinking about "I just joined, I need everything now or I quit because there's an unfair advantage." and more along the lines of "Wow, look at these items, I wonder what's coming out next." Or "maybe when I'm strong enough, learned more about the game, play more, I can afford to buy those!"

I like the way things are, by no means do I have everything that was "limited." But I don't dwell on it, I look forward to the new items that are coming out.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets stress the entire system by making every item/event/turn in available 24/7/365. Anyone can work and save gold to acquire these items in game. While the price may not be cheap you can earn gold through so many different ways it is amazing. It may take a month to save up to purchase a 12 million dollar item but it is something to work towards.

And that makes it a problem for the game since there is TONS competitive games out there....

Players do not enjoy having to spend countless time to "catch up" with existing players in order to be competitive.

And what happens when they realize, after initially trying the game out, that in order to be competitive they have to spend an enormous time to earn the gold needed to buy the items which they feel they need to be competitive ?

They ask themselves why bother and move on to some other game....

And Ultima Online looses subscriptions...........

S

Shanny

The existing players are the ones keeping the game afloat. It is not done purposely at the new/returning players expense. This game like life is not a utopia. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. If you are not here to take part then more than likely you are going to miss out.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

But what about the future powerful items? Are they not going to be around for those too?

Chances are, that if they play the game long enough to need those items, finish their characters, ect. They'll probably have the opportunity to get even BETTER limited time items. Hell, the robes keep getting more powerful, chances are by the time they're done, they'll have a better robe.

People just need to stop thinking about "I just joined, I need everything now or I quit because there's an unfair advantage." and more along the lines of "Wow, look at these items, I wonder what's coming out next." Or "maybe when I'm strong enough, learned more about the game, play more, I can afford to buy those!"

I like the way things are, by no means do I have everything that was "limited." But I don't dwell on it, I look forward to the new items that are coming out.
:thumbup1:

To quote popps:

"You hit the nail on the head."

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What I'm saying is it's one thing to limit deco items .... it's another thing to limit items that give power and advantage.

G

Gelf

Not certain but i'm thinkin they r turning off imbuing arties, because of the new ones coming out with pub(only on origin at the moment).

As for things like the dread mare ,ect. well i always wanted them to make like semi-permanent dungeons,graveyards,areas,ect. where u could get rare stuff, like the mare, but only during prescribed times/events. for ex. turning said dungeon(spawn) on a couple weeks before halloween and off a couple weeks after. they could change or alter the story lines,boss mobs, spawn types as needed,for such areas. I think it would save time and work for seasonal events and such if they did this

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am sorry, but this is only wishfull thinking, as I see it.

The circumstances can be zillions.

Over the life of a game things can change in terms of resources available to make design changes, add new content and so on.

Those players who amassed items during the gold era of the game, with plenty resources, players and support had lots of new items to stock up.

Then times change, the game looses subscriptions, resources drop, the team working on the game changes for various reasons and reduced resources and so, new content becomes rarer, and rarer and rarer....

New and returning players hit the wall....... after trying the game a little for a short while they see the daunting task and wonder why should they bother with that wall when there is a whole lot of interesting games out there and so they move on.

Ultima Online looses subscriptions......

This is why I hate item based.

Short term it might look appealing, but long term it brings way, but way more troubles than the good it brings.

Not to mention all of the unbalancing issues brought in by the tons mods, caps and blah blah. It becomes a nightmare and a waste of manpower to try keep them balanced (which often, IMHO, is flat out impossible). Manpower which could instead be used to fix other things in the game or add new content....

Item based is a curse to a game, as I see it.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey popps, here's the rest of that post:

To popps:

If you want everything at the very start go play test center. This is a game not a handout. If new players were to come to this game and somehow get everything in this game right off the bat like you seem to want happen, they would get bored quickly and quit the game.

The fun of the game is to work and obtain these special items. Train up their skills and make those items. Not join the game and get everything they want with little effort.

How did everyone else in this game get to the top and get those items? They started from the bottom and worked their way to the top!

E

Evlar

Since imbuing came out, it has given everyone a even chance at some good stuff...

But by doing so , it has made alot of other items just useless junk..
Imbuing within a game which revolves around items more so, is an excellent addition, offering the opportunity to tailor-make things to suit exactly what the player wants.

The down-side, is that earlier items are now obsolete for the most part, offering little else but decoration.

I'm all for keeping items in the game for historical purposes, but this is the problem with an item based game. Today's "uber" item is tomorrow's house decoration. Another problem is that imbuing was a very big change to the mechanics of the game, which has impacted a great many things.

Imbuing has far and above superseded "basic" GM and "Legendary" crafted weapons and armour, pushing skills such as blacksmithy, tailoring, carpentry (since wooden armour/weapons came about), into secondary roles, even taking runic enhanced items into consideration.

With that in mind, now you have a skill enabling full customisation of items, what point is there to work those "secondary" crafting skills for runics? Who would spend a lot of time filling BODS, for the chance to get a runic, for the chance to enhance something with mods worth keeping?

Actually, I might set up a "museum", featuring "antiquities" such as simple GM crafted weapons and armour, some "obsolete" artefacts, with the centre-piece being (using a character statue maker) a statue of my once great smith/tailor craftsman. :sad4:

The simplicity of the skills and items is what I miss most, as a player who's returned on more than one occasion. I can't blame the current developers in the slightest, as they've done little else than pick up the ball and continue what was already initiated with AOS. I think that was the point which initiated all the issues of balance in the game as it is today, be it skills, pets or items.

Tom_Builder

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And that makes it a problem for the game since there is TONS competitive games out there....

Players do not enjoy having to spend countless time to "catch up" with existing players in order to be competitive.

And what happens when they realize, after initially trying the game out, that in order to be competitive they have to spend an enormous time to earn the gold needed to buy the items which they feel they need to be competitive ?

They ask themselves why bother and move on to some other game....

And Ultima Online looses subscriptions...........
I dont know what games you have played lately, but everyone I have tried is the same as UO. The people who have been playing longest have better items then the ones who just started. So people can move from game to game all they want, but untill they put the time in to one of them they will never have what the people who stick around have.

That is just the way it is, sorry.

Tom

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imbuing within a game which revolves around items more so, is an excellent addition, offering the opportunity to tailor-make things to suit exactly what the player wants.

The down-side, is that earlier items are now obsolete for the most part, offering little else but decoration.

I'm all for keeping items in the game for historical purposes, but this is the problem with an item based game. Today's "uber" item is tomorrow's house decoration. Another problem is that imbuing was a very big change to the mechanics of the game, which has impacted a great many things.

Imbuing has far and above superseded "basic" GM and "Legendary" crafted weapons and armour, pushing skills such as blacksmithy, tailoring, carpentry (since wooden armour/weapons came about), into secondary roles, even taking runic enhanced items into consideration.

With that in mind, now you have a skill enabling full customisation of items, what point is there to work those "secondary" crafting skills for runics? Who would spend a lot of time filling BODS, for the chance to get a runic, for the chance to enhance something with mods worth keeping?

Actually, I might set up a "museum", featuring "antiquities" such as simple GM crafted weapons and armour, some "obsolete" artefacts, with the centre-piece being (using a character statue maker) a statue of my once great smith/tailor craftsman. :sad4:

The simplicity of the skills and items is what I miss most, as a player who's returned on more than one occasion. I can't blame the current developers in the slightest, as they've done little else than pick up the ball and continue what was already initiated with AOS. I think that was the point which initiated all the issues of balance in the game as it is today, be it skills, pets or items.
Dev's need to let tailors craft tissues, then a carpenter can put them in a box for you.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry, but this is only wishfull thinking, as I see it.

The circumstances can be zillions.

Over the life of a game things can change in terms of resources available to make design changes, add new content and so on.

Those players who amassed items during the gold era of the game, with plenty resources, players and support had lots of new items to stock up.

Then times change, the game looses subscriptions, resources drop, the team working on the game changes for various reasons and reduced resources and so, new content becomes rarer, and rarer and rarer....

New and returning players hit the wall....... after trying the game a little for a short while they see the daunting task and wonder why should they bother with that wall when there is a whole lot of interesting games out there and so they move on.

Ultima Online looses subscriptions......

This is why I hate item based.

Short term it might look appealing, but long term it brings way, but way more troubles than the good it brings.

Not to mention all of the unbalancing issues brought in by the tons mods, caps and blah blah. It becomes a nightmare and a waste of manpower to try keep them balanced (which often, IMHO, is flat out impossible). Manpower which could instead be used to fix other things in the game or add new content....

Item based is a curse to a game, as I see it.
Like viper said, read the whole post or at least quote it.

You say "new content becomes rarer and rarer." When, in reality, it has ACTUALLY become more common, and more common.

What I said is not "wishful speculation," it's how things have been going on for years now, it's just becoming more recent now. Remember the threads of fate? Ect? They turned into robes, you can no longer get the threads, but they then introduced a Halloween event item (just like the year before) that spawned for a limited amount of time, and, was somewhat easy to get. Do you not see the pattern yet?

New players don't need everything from the get go. They can buy them later, or get the new "then" item that comes out, we have artifact robes that can replace the Conjurers Garb. We have Talismans that you can replace the Conjurers trinket. You don't loose too much by not having those specific items. Chances are, by the time you'd need that specific item, you'd be able to afford it.

A lot of MMO's have items that cost A LOT. You seem to think that just because they spawned for a limited amount of time, there's only 5 per shard or something along those lines. People farm those items to sell at a later date, they essentially become "Top tier" equipment, meant for older players. (Because they're very powerful, duh. New players shouldn't start with very powerful items, they work up to that. That's the point of a lot of MMOs and RPGs, you work up to more powerful items.)

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont know what games you have played lately, but everyone I have tried is the same as UO. The people who have been playing longest have better items then the ones who just started. So people can move from game to game all they want, but untill they put the time in to one of them they will never have what the people who stick around have.

Tom
This.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I thnk AOS and going so heavily item based was a mistake but following on that direction was even more so a mistake.

At some point, IMHO, the rudder needs be shifted back towards skills being more important than items.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Like viper said, read the whole post or at least quote it.

You say "new content becomes rarer and rarer." When, in reality, it has ACTUALLY become more common, and more common.

What I said is not "wishful speculation," it's how things have been going on for years now, it's just becoming more recent now. Remember the threads of fate? Ect? They turned into robes, you can no longer get the threads, but they then introduced a Halloween event item (just like the year before) that spawned for a limited amount of time, and, was somewhat easy to get. Do you not see the pattern yet?

New players don't need everything from the get go. They can buy them later, or get the new "then" item that comes out, we have artifact robes that can replace the Conjurers Garb. We have Talismans that you can replace the Conjurers trinket. You don't loose too much by not having those specific items. Chances are, by the time you'd need that specific item, you'd be able to afford it.

A lot of MMO's have items that cost A LOT. You seem to think that just because they spawned for a limited amount of time, there's only 5 per shard or something along those lines. People farm those items to sell at a later date, they essentially become "Top tier" equipment, meant for older players. (Because they're very powerful, duh. New players shouldn't start with very powerful items, they work up to that. That's the point of a lot of MMOs and RPGs, you work up to more powerful items.)

What artifact robe gives 2 MR? Um.... let me see..... NONE. And just where did I mention NEW players??? What I'm talking about is getting back old players... who aren't going to settle for newbie junk... They are going to want to be right back in action...

And it's that whole "We were here we got it and you don't." business(ie BS) that totally ticks people off and causes them to quit telling all the other people who are thinking about returning not to bother either... because you will never be able to catch up.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Not necessarily players leaving UO could go to existing other games, new games come out all the time, several per year.

What a new game means, is novelty AND, a fresh start for all players.

Meaning, being able to compete on a par with all of the other players without having to deal with the "catching up" that existing games force new or returning players to deal with.........

If Ultima Online want to see more returning players or new players "stick with UO" after the first weeks of trying it out, I think a stronger effort needs be done to close whatever gaps there are which may intimidate them and deter them from playing.

O

omgmir

Tom
You're high as a kite if you can't tell the difference between "new player has not progressed enough to acquire X item" and "new player cannot acquire X item because it's no longer possible to acquire in the game".

Seems quite a few people in this thread cant differentiate.

U

UOKaiser

What artifact robe gives 2 MR? Um.... let me see..... NONE.
Plenty of time for them to bring more limited items. lowest price for one is 7.6mil
highest 27mil. They can get it if they need it. That's the point of the vender system. It's there for a reason. That's the point for gold it's there for a reason. Hell transfer to a shard buy 10 for 7.5mil and then transfer it to another shard sell it for 27mil You just made the profit back from the transfer got your self conj robe and have enough gold to buy alot more things.

U

UOKaiser

You're high as a kite if you can't tell the difference between "new player has not progressed enough to acquire X item" and "new player cannot acquire X item because it's no longer possible to acquire in the game".

Seems quite a few people in this thread cant differentiate.
Then the new player shouldn't complain because they joined too late and will need to wait till something else is available or they become more experience in the game to buy said item from another player, hell the new player should probably not even know if the item was available cause they werent here anyway.I sure don't complain when i miss a event it's my fault so i don't get said item. If it's for sale I'll buy it late if it's not then oh well wait for other things to pop up. This complaining people are doing is a waste of time and will push dev never to introduce cool useful items ever again in non asian shards.

K

Kallie Pigeon

My approach to the game is quite similar to real life. I am no millionaire but I do OK. It doesn't bother me that others have so much stuff and gold in game because I still have fun. The only problem is when you ask for advice, sometimes people say get these artifacts and other difficult to get items unless you spend lots of time playing UO. Not really too much of a problem but then you have to figure out stuff for yourself since no one caters to the poor folks and time limited players of UO. If you PVP now there may be a problem. In real life you can't have multiple millions of dollars and all the fancy stuff that comes with it so do you quit? Maybe you go play UO if you are unhappy about your real life? Why worry about what others have other than PVP? With PVP there is always connection speed that separates individuals who are equally equipped so don't you worry about that? I don't because I don't PVP. If you really want to get an item there are lots of ways to get them usually it just the motivation to get them may not be there as is my case. I don't care and prefer to make do with what I have. Eventually I will have better stuff. Everyone talks about the value of increased risk and yet they can't play because there is too much risk because they aren't decked out in all the best stuff? If you want risk why get all those items? Play with less and see what you can do. Realistically speaking I don't see how a player can come in and get itemed up to the level of the top players in any short period of time other than putting in lots of hours of work toward that goal and even then if the long time player does the same there is no catching up that can be done. Should it be easier? I don't think so but then I don't PVP so I don't care.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, game play altering items like those should be able to be acquired by new players eventually. Only Deco items should be rare and unobtainable after an event ends. So devs, open up the islands in Ter Mur and add the old stuff or something please.

100% agree, rare items that are only eye candy no longer spawning creates a Market in game, but them creating no longer spawning powerful items people use is taking UO off the real life market even more.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

they made UO now where you can make a max skill 120 char in less than a week, but yet your thought is to make the returning players wait months, if not years to get items?

ever since AoS Ultima is known as a "PvP game" and a lot less of a sandbox game, so if they want the image to also be UO is a PvPers game, than again... why make them wait?

but it's NOT about they want the item as soon as they log on, they just want a CHANCE at the item. but it it's 100% impossible... that is a major turn off

U

UOKaiser

100% agree, rare items that are only eye candy no longer spawning creates a Market in game, but them creating no longer spawning powerful items people use is taking UO off the real life market even more.
But gold solves that problem. As long as another player has it. it will eventually be for sale on a vender.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they made UO now where you can make a max skill 120 char in less than a week, but yet your thought is to make the returning players wait months, if not years to get items?

ever since AoS Ultima is known as a "PvP game" and a lot less of a sandbox game, so if they want the image to also be UO is a PvPers game, than again... why make them wait?

but it's NOT about they want the item as soon as they log on, they just want a CHANCE at the item. but it it's 100% impossible... that is a major turn off
And what items are 100% impossible to get in this game???

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What artifact robe gives 2 MR? Um.... let me see..... NONE. And just where did I mention NEW players??? What I'm talking about is getting back old players... who aren't going to settle for newbie junk... They are going to want to be right back in action...

And it's that whole "We were here we got it and you don't." business(ie BS) that totally ticks people off and causes them to quit telling all the other people who are thinking about returning not to bother either... because you will never be able to catch up.
How many other things give MR.

Do you understand what that means? Since MR is a common mod, and to some, 2 MR doesn't have much effect due to diminishing returns. Meaning, you don't NEED the item, infact, you can, and people have, done FINE without the robe, for years, and will do fine, without the robe, as there are MANY alternatives.

Fine, old players, awesome. So when these old players left, they didn't keep any money? If they did, then they can save up, like like I did to buy my things, just like everyone else does who misses the event. Or they can wait for a new "uber" item to come from another event.

The point is, just because you don't have everything, doesn't mean you "lost UO." I'm very poor in game, I don't own a lot of rares, I miss most of the events. Yet I still do fine. I missed out on all the spring cleaning items, I missed out on 90% of anything to do with blackrock (except ToT3, I got 5 hours of that, got a mempo, was happy). I don't have all the event items in question, I have some, but not all.

I could do peerlesses, spawns, ect, without the robe, or trinket, or insert item here. They're little bonuses for people who do do the event, they don't break the game. having 2 mr and 5 dci on my robe, whoopie.

You can get, at least, 2 mr on every armor slot and bracelet. With Diminishing returns, 2mr that someone has to spend more money on, doesn't really change anything. And you're acting like you can't get the robe anymore, bull****. Whats the price of the robe now? I can't see any higher than 20 mil which is comparable to that of the Crimson, it's a high end item that helps, but doesn't make or break a template.

The truth is, you're going to spend more money buying items that already exist and are constantly respawning than the few that aren't, except for a dread warhorse, but please, unless you pvp you're going to use a greater for everything.

These items are essentially usable trophies, not game breaking items that a returning player needs to be able to do anything with. Plus, in about a year, the items mentioned now are probably going to be surpassed by a new robe, or talisman or whatever.

There's no point in UO where you wont be able to catch up, THAT is bs. You work, you learn, you earn, you buy, you receive, you're rewarded, whatever. If you actually TRY instead of "Gimmie gimmie." You'll make it. Just like in real life, you work for it.

E

Evlar

I thnk AOS and going so heavily item based was a mistake but following on that direction was even more so a mistake.

At some point, IMHO, the rudder needs be shifted back towards skills being more important than items.
But it's already gone too far to be able to turn back. Hence why there are those of us who are interested in a "classic" shard option as a stand alone shard. Sufficient enough interest to make that a reality? well, that's another question entirely and one that nobody can answer fully at present.

I'm of the opinion, based upon my own experiences, that pre-AOS, the game was a more level playing field. Since AOS, there have been more and more additions, ever changing game dynamics, additions to skills and items, without perhaps sweeping up those which aren't particularly needed. With each new item or skill comes new balance issues, either intentional or unintentional.

There's several skills that serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever in the modern game and countless items that nobody uses or needs. When it comes to the community, I think that "items" have far too much importance.

As a community, I think we spend way too much time focusing on items. If that's all that floats your boat, then fine. I like items too, but more for decorative purpose than importance for game mechanics. The biggest thing I noticed upon my return last year, shortly prior to SA launch, was not the challenge, the fun, the adventure of heading out simply to defeat certain dungeons or creatures, but the emphasis being the item that could be gained beating said creature or dungeon. Now, much of the discussion in-game is about what modifications via imbuing are "key" to success on any given template.

It's noticeable why the older dungeons and spawn areas are devoid of players. Because there's no super-item on offer, so it's considered a waste of time. If that's the way the game is now, there's something seriously wrong that needs to be fixed. Either balance the challenge to match the "desire" for items by updating creatures, spawns, dungeons across all the lands, old and new, or take the "new brush sweeps clean" approach and do away with the old and surplus altogether. Leaving things as they are is just leaving things in a big mess to my mind.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Buying things makes it possible thus ruining your whole point.

It is possible to 120 a skill in a week, or days, of you macro or golem smash, which isn't really what I condone. Plus, I was referring to brand spanking new players. When I was a new player, I did things by the book, I went on quests and to dungeons to train my skills, no macro or golem smash, thus it took longer than a week, and by the time I was done, I could get things I needed.

No mater what it comes down to, you're still condoning people not working for what they want. That's a care bear, not a trammy, or a pure PvMer or someone who hates PvP. Someone who wants things NOW without any work. You want that, there's a shard called "Test Center" where you get everything right off the bat, you can go be a "care bear" there.

I for one, don't think it's right that anyone gets things without little effort, and as I said in a previous post, these items aren't even needed, you can get by without them.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

and this is what makes me sad, 10 years ago in UO the powerful items were the Vanqs that took a bit of time for a noob to get, but you could. UO was not a WoW clone like it is today.

so while I would agree with your statement if this was WoW or any other game that was suppose to be item based not skill based, I have to disagree here cause UO was never meant to be item based, of course that stems from my hatred of AoS ;)

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and this is what makes me sad, 10 years ago in UO the powerful items were the Vanqs that took a bit of time for a noob to get, but you could. UO was not a WoW clone like it is today.

so while I would agree with your statement if this was WoW or any other game that was suppose to be item based not skill based, I have to disagree here cause UO was never meant to be item based, of course that stems from my hatred of AoS ;)
That's wonderful.

It is.

Get over it.

"A true gamer adapts." Wasn't that a quote from a classic shard thread? Be a true gamer and adapt to how things are.

You still can get things as a noob, it's called working for them. Sure things are more item based than skill, but the basic concept is the same.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And what items are 100% impossible to get in this game???
did you even read the first post?
Yeah, I did. As well as other posts. I also know you can pretty much buy anything in this game with a little bit of time.

The thing is, this is an online game. Problem with online games, every online game at that, is that unless you have time for every event in this game, you should expect that you will not be able to get every item in this game that pops up. Especially from events years prior to a person joining. Times change too in, that is also to be expected in an online game. Items come and go. Hence the quote, "Game experience may change during online play."

Luckily in UO and other games you are able to buy items that you did not get a chance to obtain through events.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Buying things makes it possible thus ruining your whole point.

It is possible to 120 a skill in a week, or days, of you macro or golem smash, which isn't really what I condone. Plus, I was referring to brand spanking new players. When I was a new player, I did things by the book, I went on quests and to dungeons to train my skills, no macro or golem smash, thus it took longer than a week, and by the time I was done, I could get things I needed.

No mater what it comes down to, you're still condoning people not working for what they want. That's a care bear, not a trammy, or a pure PvMer or someone who hates PvP. Someone who wants things NOW without any work. You want that, there's a shard called "Test Center" where you get everything right off the bat, you can go be a "care bear" there.

I for one, don't think it's right that anyone gets things without little effort, and as I said in a previous post, these items aren't even needed, you can get by without them.

reread that then try replying, cause first, I don't think people should have things handed to them at all. when i started we didn't have assist, quests, or even Haven. So trust me i know what it's like, took me almost a year to GM blacksmithing.

"No mater what it comes down to, you're still condoning people not working for what they want. That's a care bear, not a trammy, or a pure PvMer or someone who hates PvP."

No, let me dumb it down for you

THEY made UO easy as in making your char 120 max in days, so why do THEY want to make the players wait longer for uber items? when it was the opposite? THEY wanted your char to take forever to train, but they allowed you to get uber items much faster...

you don't find it silly that they did a 180 on both of those at the same time? I do

you call me a care bear because I'm against HANDING people their characters for nothing (even buying them from the UO store) yet making some uber items 100% impossible to get? a care bear was someone who is afraid of PvP and having to defend their items they earned in game... so you really have me confused

"Buying things makes it possible thus ruining your whole point."
"I for one, don't think it's right that anyone gets things without little effort, "

two of your quotes put together, you don't think people should get things easily, yet you think the "problem" is solved cause you can buy them? how the **** is that not easy? if you ask me that's the easiest way to get anything.

sorry but i beleive people should work for their items and skills. now how can someone work for an item they want if it's no longer in game? but still being used? other than your stupid answer of buying it. and yes what you said makes you borderline ******** because you also said:

"It is possible to 120 a skill in a week, or days, of you macro or golem smash, which isn't really what I condone"

and again:

"Buying things makes it possible thus ruining your whole point."

so again, to you if someone buys an advanced character token, or buys their 6x120 account that's "earned", yet if they macro a character from 100 skill points that's not earned?

lemme say it again, you act like people should WORK for their stuff right? yet you're okay with not allowing people to work for the item they want because ITS NO LONGER IN GAME, yet you think "working" for something is to just buy it... sorry but to me, earning something is to get off your ass and EARN it, not pay someone who did the work for you...

E

Evlar

"A true gamer adapts." Wasn't that a quote from a classic shard thread? Be a true gamer and adapt to how things are.
At what point does one decide that they've adapted enough, that a chase for items becomes an over-riding factor of importance, more than simple principals of gameplay though?

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I did. As well as other posts. I also know you can pretty much buy anything in this game with a little bit of time.

The thing is, this is an online game. Problem with online games, every online game at that, is that unless you have time for every event in this game, you should expect that you will not be able to get every item in this game that pops up. Especially from events years prior to a person joining. Times change too in, that is also to be expected in an online game. Items come and go. Hence the quote, "Game experience may change during online play."

Luckily in UO and other games you are able to buy items that you did not get a chance to obtain through events.

*sigh*

this I know, but really I think it's lame to fall back on that. I think If they want to force us to play a WoW clone game, they should allow us the chance to earn an item. I am happy we CAN buy the item, but I think this is lame:

new player: "where can I get that sweet sword?"

me: "Luna, 75mil"

new: "no, I mean I'd like to earn it on my own"

me: "you can't, sorry"

new: "oh..."

again, if this was pre-aos fine, just go to glowing orb museum and look at the uber items he had, they were totally unbalanced but they didn;t cause an issue back then due to the lack of the million states. all I'm trying to say here guys, I think it's lame to make powerful items and force new/returning people to only buy them from other players. any idea how long it would take a new player to earn 50mil? even 5

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I shouldn't make posts after a long day of cookouts and drinks, so sorry for coming off so rude.

but I am still sticking to my point, let's give new players and retruning players a chance to earn things in game. not be handing over cash for them only

U

UOKaiser

*sigh*

this I know, but really I think it's lame to fall back on that. I think If they want to force us to play a WoW clone game, they should allow us the chance to earn an item. I am happy we CAN buy the item, but I think this is lame:

new player: "where can I get that sweet sword?"

me: "Luna, 75mil"

new: "no, I mean I'd like to earn it on my own"

me: "you can't, sorry"

new: "oh..."

again, if this was pre-aos fine, just go to glowing orb museum and look at the uber items he had, they were totally unbalanced but they didn;t cause an issue back then due to the lack of the million states. all I'm trying to say here guys, I think it's lame to make powerful items and force new/returning people to only buy them from other players. any idea how long it would take a new player to earn 50mil? even 5
I actually have a idea how long it will take them to earn 50mil or 5mil. Lets see if they just started there main focus will be to hunt lizardmen and cats and dogs and mongbats while they move up in game. This is to increase there skills. If they can finish there skills in in a week that means there not a new player and decided to shortcut the way. This point then would be mute.

So eventually after much killing they made enough gold to get a luna vender 20k a week or free if you get friendly people. If they joined a guild they will have 50mil in days. But this is assuming they are a loner. So now he has a luna vender what can he sell well all that time killing lizardmen he should of cut there hides and sold them also continue looting for better items. Slowly each sweet sword he gets gets better and better as he kills stronger and stronger monsters placing leather on venders selling for nice high amounts. He hits tokuno and sell all those ingredients for imbuing for loads of gold while having fun in the proccess.

Sooner or later he will get strong enough to go on ishnear/tok champ spawns looting sot and all that gold they drop on the ground. He will eventually hit replicas as a drop and able to sell these things on his vender for 10's of millions. Now he has all this gold and have no idea what to do with it. Well he decides to make crafters and make his own equipment so he trains imbuing and blacksmith and tailoring. He started with imbuing first and now using all the resources he looted from abyss he can make his own sweet sword. Of course he relize there is no such thing as a sweet sword that cost 50mil and would of being scammed if he did payed for it in the beggining, but He never needed to pay a dime for his sweet sword. Now hes content and on to his next challenge. In the mean time ea gets his subscription fees and he always have something to look forward to later. This is the life of a real new player.

The life of a fake new player. Has already everything he ever needs cause hes being around a long time. Started another account and is supplied by his main account. The End.\

The life of a returning vet. Already knows everything needed about the game. Already knows how to make gold. Takes him less than 2 weeks to go from 2k to 60mil. The end.